Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14018 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer Oct 12, 2013, 05:29 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 03:50:
...free of distractive [...] combat.

Yes, because e.g. System Shock 2 had no combat, either. Right? Sorry, but (again): pass.

And the combat in SS2 was so great, right..? Oh wait, no, it was terrible. There's no point in having combat when it's terrible. The only way to make it not terrible is to reward player skill with empowerment and empowerment is the last thing you should give the player in a survival horror game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix This Month
2. Re: Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix This Month Oct 12, 2013, 02:27 Jerykk

Hopefully the DLC missions have more effort put into them than the base game's missions.  

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 02:26 Jerykk

FYI, Frictional has said that the content in this trailer isn't from the actual game. It was created to convey the mood and basic gameplay. The final game will have a different protagonist with a different voice actor.  

News Comments > Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month
12. Re: Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month Oct 11, 2013, 05:01 Jerykk

Strange that the game would be coming out this month when there hasn't been any marketing of it whatsoever. You'd think that they would release a trailer or at least an official announcement. Doesn't give me high hopes for the quality of the port.  

News Comments > Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month
6. Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month Oct 8, 2013, 03:07 Jerykk

Glad to see more fighting games coming to PC, even if Injustice didn't get the best reviews.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements
23. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements Oct 8, 2013, 00:59 Jerykk

Nvidia is providing these specs. The recommended specs are what you'll need if you want to get 60+ FPS at 1080p+ with 8x SSAA. Of course, most players will just use FXAA and get 120+ FPS on a much more reasonable GPU.  

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
15. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 8, 2013, 00:55 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:25:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:24:
Pretty sure this is going to be a mobile spinoff, just like Deus Ex: The Fall.

Does SE do ANY mobile at all?

Yes, Deus Ex: The Fall was an iPad game. SE is pretty risk averse at the moment, given how much money they've lost over the past few years. I expect them to keep pumping out more mobile spinoffs since they are low risk. It's also the reason why the next LoK game will be a F2P multiplayer shooter instead of a proper single-player action adventure.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 7, 2013, 23:24 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is going to be a mobile spinoff, just like Deus Ex: The Fall.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 23:53 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 23:14:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 22:00:
Prez wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 20:38:
... It's more XCOM; what could possibly go wrong?

Goddammit! Why did you have to go and do that? No you jinxed it!

You know why Duke Nukem FOrever turned out disappointing don't you? Before it shipped someone said "It's more Duke Nukem; what could possibly go wrong?"

Eh, after ten+ years of hype, I think any game would turn out disappointing. DNF wasn't great but it's not nearly as bad as everyone claims. It was a 7/10.

Isn't that a bit generous? I have a friend who played it. He was a fan of the original. Thought it was maybe 5.5 - 6.

Was it really that enjoyable?

It was decent enough. The biggest complaints against the game were the platforming segments. But then, the Half-Life games had lots of platforming too. Die-hard Duke fans were disappointed that the levels were more linear and scripted than the levels in D3D and that's a valid complaint, but again, the levels in the HL games are linear and scripted too. To me, DNF felt like a weaker version of HL2. That doesn't make it a terrible game. If you enjoyed HL2 and didn't buy into ten years of hype, you'd probably enjoy DNF.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 22:00 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 20:38:
... It's more XCOM; what could possibly go wrong?

Goddammit! Why did you have to go and do that? No you jinxed it!

You know why Duke Nukem FOrever turned out disappointing don't you? Before it shipped someone said "It's more Duke Nukem; what could possibly go wrong?"

Eh, after ten+ years of hype, I think any game would turn out disappointing. DNF wasn't great but it's not nearly as bad as everyone claims. It was a 7/10.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Oct 5, 2013, 05:21 Jerykk

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 14:20:
Slashman wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 09:06:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 08:42:
nin wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 08:40:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 08:18:
InBlack wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 03:35:
Cant wait for Enemy within....ohhhh gimme that XCOM goodness....

Enemy Unknown was mediocre at best. It certainly wasn't worth full price.

Are you referring to the pc version, or the crappy ios game? Because yours is the first negative comment I've heard about the pc version. It wasn't perfect, and had its flaws, but people loved it.

PC version. And my comment wasn't necessarily negative, it just wasn't positive.

I payed full price and found the game to be very repetitive and easy (my 2 snipers were annihilating all aliens towards the end of the game). Had I gotten it at 50% off I may feel differently.

And you played on the hardest difficulty on Ironman right?

I'll hold off on believing you just breezed through the whole game losing no soldiers and no countries on your first playthrough.

No, I didn't. I played on Normal and would have happily went to hard if the first play through wasn't so incredibly repetitive.

You can't really complain about difficulty if you aren't playing on the highest difficulty.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Next Week
10. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Next Week Oct 3, 2013, 12:25 Jerykk

This DLC is Xbox-exclusive. Not coming out for PC.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Trailer
5. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Trailer Oct 2, 2013, 01:50 Jerykk

They really need to slow down on these games. The last three games have basically been the same thing. They need to go back to having different takes on the series, whether it be the the ricer stylings on Underground, the sim-lite approach of Shift or the exotic approach of the original games.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
35. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Sep 30, 2013, 22:09 Jerykk

avianflu wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 10:34:
Stop right there about criticizing the first NOLF!

Other than too much level padding at the end (the ski slopes) it is a great game with perfect visual design. And it was funny to boot.

All the subsequent NOLFs were total dreck with mindless respawning enemies, sadly.

Stop right there about criticizing the second NOLF! NOLF2 was awesome. The combat and stealth mechanics were greatly improved over the first game and there was a lot more variety in the gameplay and level design. Most of the levels didn't have respawning enemies either. In fact, the only one I can think of is that Russian base level.

Now, if you want to criticize Contract JACK, go ahead.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 04:19 Jerykk

Modern shooters are generally linear, scripted and formulaic. No exploration, no player agency, etc. Lots of slightly interactive cutscenes (i.e. set-pieces). Old-school shooters put a much greater emphasis on exploration, with big levels and lots of secrets to find. Enemies were placed in the level and remained where they were regardless of your position, as opposed to modern shooters where they pop out of closets when you step on the right trigger.

Basically, modern shooters feel like you're going on a ride whereas old shooters felt like you were being dropped into a new world.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:51 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:05:
Admittedly this does lead to a dilemma however. Historically once a game has been made available for purchase it becomes fair game for reviewers. Which seems fair I guess. But virtually any game that isn't finished yet isn't going to score very high (not as high as it would if it were complete anyway), so that may mean reviews hurt sales of games that haven't reached their full potential. Hopefully review sites will use discretion before they slag games that are still in development.

I don't think that's really an issue. Reviewers are smart enough to not review games that are explicitly labeled as unfinished. They might give impressions but that's no different from any other preview.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:48 Jerykk

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:01:
Slashman wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:58:
No Shadow Warrior? Annoyed

I've been having a blast with it. The powers and sword fighting are pretty awesome. The new Lo Wang isn't half bad either.

Oh wow, you're right. That IS disappointing, as people seem generally positive about it.

For some reason, there's a distinct lack of coverage for the game. IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destructoid, Eurogamer, GiantBomb and most of the major sites have yet to even review the game, which is extremely odd given that the game was released almost a week ago. I can only assume that Digital Devolver didn't send out any review copies.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 16:27 Jerykk

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 13:47:
I'm really starting to get tired of people trying to sell un-finished games. When the concept was new, and not many people did it, it didn't bug me, but now it seems like every other game that comes out isn't finished.

I was about to buy State of Decay until I noticed that it is not only a "work in progress" but that it only supports wired xbox 360 controllers. At least get keyboard and mouse working before you ask me for money on a PC platform...

I don't see the issue here. They clearly state that the game is unfinished and they use your money to help finish it. Letting customers try the game that early also helps make the finished product more polished, as the devs are basically getting free testing.

It's not like non-early release games are guaranteed to be finished either. Many games are released in an alpha-like state without any warning from the developer. Remember Sword of the Stars 2?

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
17. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 29, 2013, 07:07 Jerykk

If they allow you to jump whenever you need to jump, then why remove it all? Will I be constantly walking up to places, testing whether I can jump or not? "Can I jump here? Nope. Can I jump here? Nope. How about on top of this crate thats under a window of the building I'm trying to sneak into? Nope. Hmmm... I wonder WTF the developers intended for me to do here". Limiting where you can jump effectively makes this a corridor/rail shooter. We're only allowed to go where the designers want us to go. Exploration and finding multiple paths to exploit was part of the fun of the first two games (and an essential component of the gameplay) . This hand-holding and funneling the player through the map by limiting one of the most basic PC FPS and TPS game tenets is either console shit or shit map design (or both).

Designers will always control where you can go. They create the levels and place the collision volumes. Being able to jump won't let you get places the designers really don't want to let you go to. This was true of the previous Thief games. Having contextual actions doesn't mean your game has to be a corridor shooter. You can still create big, open, non-linear levels.

As for the clarity of contextual actions, that's up to the artists and designers. If there's a clear visual language and consistent rules associated with each action, you should never need to question whether or not you can do something.

While I agree that not being able to manually jump sucks, I don't think it's enough to ruin the game, provided that the implementation of contextual actions is done well enough. For example, in the first three Splinter Cell games, you could jump whenever you wanted. In the newest one (Blacklist), jumping/climbing/etc is contextual. However, thanks to good level design, I never missed manual jumping. Every action I could want to perform was accounted for in the contextual triggers.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 29, 2013, 03:34 Jerykk

Wonder if DR3 will be a permanent exclusive (ala the first game) or timed (ala Halo, GoW, Alan Wake, Fable, etc). Hopefully the latter. Given the rising costs of AAA game development, it wouldn't make any sense for Capcom to make it a permanent exclusive.  

14018 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo