Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Coming to Windows
22. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Coming to Windows Aug 21, 2013, 01:42 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure people stopped associating Tom Clancy with R6 after Ghost Recon, HAWX, EndWar and Splinter Cell. In fact, Tom Clancy isn't even associated with the Tom Clancy brand these days, given the fact that he hasn't actually written anything in years.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
11. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Aug 21, 2013, 00:10 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 21:46:
Slashman wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 21:41:
I am almost 100% sure they are going to do a Mass Effect style dialogue wheel thing again with Paragon and Renegade choices. And I doubt combat is going to be going back to its Origins roots.

I read that they were tired of the dialogue wheel, but yeah, the combat isn't going to be like in Origins, but more a la Skyrim, it looks like.

Also, they're apparently so enamored with the Cerberus Guardian that they've put him in Dragon Age now. Because nothing spells F U N like an enemy with a shield that can absorb every possible form of attack. (My favorite is when Cerberus Guardian guys step on a fucking mine and get no damage, because after all, they have a riot shield! Rolleyes )

Those shield guys were pretty easy to deal with, weren't they? Just use the levitation power to make them float and they automatically drop their shield.

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount
6. Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount Aug 20, 2013, 03:29 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is the first time it's been available for pre-order.

If you do pre-order, you should get it from the Humble Store. Not only do you get both a DRM-free copy and Steam key, but the devs get 95% of the revenue, as opposed to the 70% offered by other distributors.

That said, pre-ordering the game on Steam raises its position on the charts, increasing awareness and making other people more likely to buy it too. The guy who made Gunpoint actually requested that people buy his game on Steam instead of directly from him for this very reason.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
22. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 20, 2013, 03:13 Jerykk

Forcing people to use a digital distribution system to play your games instead of catering to the masses (Steam) was a really poor business decision and it just causes customer backlash. It is really no wonder why people are jumping from the PC ship.

Wait, what? Since when are people jumping from the PC ship? If anything, it's the exact opposite. PC gaming is only growing in popularity. More and more developers and publishers are supporting the platform and putting more effort into the games they release on it. They wouldn't be doing that if PC wasn't becoming more profitable.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer
7. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Launch Trailer Aug 19, 2013, 23:31 Jerykk

For what it's worth, Sterling gave Witcher 2 a 6/10 so his taste isn't exactly impeccable.

Still, a bit worrying that the review embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow. You can get the game for $30 at Amazon right now and if the game had gotten solid reviews before launch, I would have pre-ordered it. As it stands now, I won't buy the game until it drops to $30 again (which likely won't be for a month or two) even if it ends up getting good scores.

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount
3. Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month; Preorder Discount Aug 19, 2013, 23:24 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:42:
I super-loved Amnesia, but I have no interest in this one... They need to get a hold of my interest...

So... why do you have no interest in this one if you loved the first one..?

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
13. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 23:20 Jerykk

GFWL dying is great in the long-term but crappy for the short-term. Multiplayer and online features will be permanently broken. Games that require GFWL activations will be broken. Games that use DLC from the GFWL Marketplace will no longer be able to access that DLC because you have to use an online profile to buy DLC and the DLC is forever linked to that profile, which won't be useable offline. Any saves you have with your online profiles won't be useable with your offline profiles either.

There's evidence to suggest that GFWL is going to be replaced by Steamworks in Bioshock 2, Arkham City and Arkham Asylum but I don't think most publishers are going to bother changing anything in their old GFWL games.

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
18. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 18, 2013, 04:19 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:27:
PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 19:24:
So we had Dead Island which was extraordinarily rough but nonetheless fun, Riptide which took forever to release while bringing nothing new whatsoever to Dead Island, that medieval demon game with assets straight from Dead Island, and now this one which looks... remarkably like Dead Island.

Keep broadening those horizons, Techland.

What surprise me is how they can do all this with the money from Dead Island. Did it really sell that well?

Techland has been around for a while. The Dead Island and Call of Juarez games probably earned them some decent money. Also, I'm pretty sure Canada gives tax cuts and/or other incentives to studios looking to start up in the country.

Yeah, I was thinking it totally looked like a console/controller demo with the way and how slow the character view was panning.....

Almost every demonstration of a multiplatform game is done with a gamepad. It's a lot easier to make slow, steady and smooth motions with a gamepad and that makes for a more "cinematic" video. It's also easier to follow than watching someone make quick and drastic movements.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 17, 2013, 22:40 Jerykk

The Brigmore Witches is definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed Dishonored. About 10 hours of gameplay if you're comprehensive and play it like Thief. The new Pull power is super useful too and there are more gadgets for players who like to knock out enemies too.  

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Atomic Wonder Woman Trailer
8. Re: Infinite Crisis Atomic Wonder Woman Trailer Aug 17, 2013, 22:36 Jerykk

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 06:04:
DC missed the fact that MOBA's are already losing their attractiveness. Unless they can push the envelope, people are not going to flock to it.

How is that a fact? Do you have any statistics to back up that assumption? I'm pretty sure LoL and DotA2 are becoming increasingly popular, not vice versa. The MOBA market is fairly saturated, yes, but that's only because it's so popular.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
11. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 04:56 Jerykk

entr0py wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 03:58:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 00:24:
I have to say I'm pleased with how Volition/Deep Silver has handled the launch of SR4. They've put out a ton of gameplay videos before hand, let the press evaluate the game and publish reviews ahead of time (letting buyers see reviews and still get in on the pre-order bonus), and they even offered a discount to SR3 owners. This is such a vast departure from the bait & switch launch tactics of most publishers that it's quite refreshing.

That said, the fact that Enter the Dominatrix was used as the base of SR4 rather than released as a separate SR3 DLC remains a disappointment, but all things considered I feel like they've more than made up for it.

I don't know, as a consumer I distrust early reviews and have the feeling they're granted in return for favors. It's just an anecdote but I think the first exclusive early review of Dragon Age II was %100. Assuming publishers have full discretion over who gets copies, it's a good way of keeping the gaming press in line.

When a single publication is given a world exclusive first review, then what you say is true. But there's a big difference between that and lifting an embargo on all reviews. A world-exclusive review will always be very positive, as that's the only reason why a publisher would allow it to break embargo. On the other hand, when an embargo is lifted on all reviews, the publisher is allowing reviewers to give whatever score they want.

News Comments > Thief in February
34. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 01:48 Jerykk

Eh... I'm a bit concerned about some of the design choices in the new game. Contextual jumping and rope arrows? Forced non-stealth segments for the sake of being "cinematic"? These clash directly with the pillars of the series and seem like completely unnecessary "accommodations" to appease casual gamers. The success of DX:HR and Dishonored have proven that gamers enjoy having agency.  

News Comments > Infinite Crisis Atomic Wonder Woman Trailer
3. Re: Infinite Crisis Atomic Wonder Woman Trailer Aug 17, 2013, 01:44 Jerykk

There are tons of non-canon side-stories for every superhero. There's one where Superman is soviet and another where Batman is a vampire. It makes sense in the context of those specific stories.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 15, 2013, 04:10 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 05:57:
I know how you feel about it, Jerykk. And I understand! But to me, it's a classic case of quantity (gameplay styles) over qualtiy (gameplay). Why should I care that you can Force Push enemies and doors to pieces, if I wanna play as a thief or the other way around? Sure, the game reaches a broader audience but again, why should I care? I don't see it as a selling point.

I still think the game would have been that much better if it was able to focus soley on either stealth or action, but I mostly believe that because I found the stealth part extremely limited.

The same could be said for any hybrid game. A game that focuses on one gameplay style will always handle that style better than a game that offers multiple playstyles. However, I think the stealth in Dishonored is strong enough to hold its own (I played through the entire game like Thief), largely due to the interesting things you can do with the powers. Most of the powers are equally useful in both combat and stealth. For example, pausing time has obvious benefits in the middle of a fight but it also silences anything you do, which I used to sneakily break into glass cases and steal the loot within. Try to get through the game without neutralizing anyone and you'll have to get creative with your powers.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video
7. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video Aug 14, 2013, 05:36 Jerykk

Why did they have to make this an AC game? AC's mechanics are horribly shallow and completely devoid of any challenge. It's the epitome of dumbed down streamlining. Also, the whole sci-fi story arc is retarded and really undermines the appeal of the historical settings. It's a shame because the game's high-level ideas look great. I love the idea of sailing around, exploring islands and ruins and whatnot.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 05:33 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 03:39:
I yet have to find a Europian who likes Dishonored. All my friends, colleagues and acquaintences found the game as shallow and lifeless as me. This is either a sick coincidence, or something worth studying (since the americans tend to get arroused by the mere thought of the game), or ppl are just afraid to disagree with The Vince.

Whatever the reason, to me it has a sense of surrealism that this game is such a success while I'm getting a completely different vibe IRL.

It's really not difficult to understand. People like the game because it has large, open-ended levels that accommodate multiple, significantly different playstyles. Want to play it like Thief? You can do that. Want to play it like Bioshock? You can do that too. Want something in-between? Go for it. What you get out of the game is largely determined by what you put into it. Take the path of least resistance and you'll end up with the least interesting experience, as is the case with every game ever made. Challenge yourself to be creative and resourceful and you'll find the experience much more interesting.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 11, 2013, 17:18 Jerykk

According to the devs, Payday 2 is already profitable due to pre-orders alone. Surprising but good news, since PC is the lead SKU for the game and that's a pretty rare thing these days.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed
3. Re: Gone Gold - Splinter Cell: Blacklist; System Specs Revealed Aug 10, 2013, 02:24 Jerykk

Blacklist already looks significantly better than Conviction. They're actually trying to make multiple playstyles viable, as opposed to just "run in and kill everyone." The series started going downhill after Chaos Theory but this looks like it may buck the trend.  

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
57. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 23:59 Jerykk

I hope this one has good writing and interesting side-missions. I'm not a big fan of generic, template-based missions like "Go to [insert random sector here] and kill [insert random enemies here]." Quality > quantity.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Aug 7, 2013, 04:36 Jerykk

It's generally better to quote full sentences or better yet, full paragraphs that provided important context. Like this:

Content delivery might not change, but control scheme will have to. Take hotkeys, of which you have five to play with. Assignable categories range from armour, racial, weapon and class, and within these are subcategories. Armour's subcategory, for instance, contains light, medium and heavy variations. Each of these subcategories (stay with us) contains a handful of 'active abilities', and these are what go on your hotkeys.

On consoles, however, hotkeys will likely be addressed with a less immediate radial menu. MMO mainstays such as chat windows and automatic running also raise questions for the controller, questions which for the moment go unanswered.

The Elder Scrolls Online's interface reflects its multi-platform-mindedness, accessible with either thumsbtick or mouse. Split down the middle, it shows your equipped armour, weapons and items on the left, and all other inventory on the right. You simply drag and drop between the two (a task albeit more cumbersome on pad than mouse, in likelihood). The menu also provides a clearer window onto background action. It needs to - remember, just because you're paused doesn't mean anyone else is.

So no, the interface isn't being designed for consoles. PC is still the lead SKU and the UI was designed for PC first and foremost. The game will probably suck anyway, but that will have nothing to do with consoles and everything to do with the stale MMO formula that devs are still following.

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo