Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13831 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
11. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Mar 20, 2014, 05:11 Jerykk

I think you guys are exaggerating a bit when calling Steam "unusable." Sure, there are more releases now but it takes all of 5 seconds to look at each one. Check the new releases, click on titles that seem interesting, glance at a few screenshots, read the descriptions if you're still interested, done. It's a negligible investment of time and effort.

As for BoneTown, apparently the censored, non-XXX version was greenlit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2014, 02:46 Jerykk

Not sure if it even qualifies as an RPG. It's basically an action game with RPG elements. At the very least, it has a cool setting.  

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2014, 02:39 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 00:21:
Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:53:
If you haven't grabbed Expeditions: Conquistador yet, run, don't walk, to get it. Totally a steal for $5. I don't know how or why this was overlooked by so many people but it's a gem. Ima probably give this another playthrough again very soon. I hope it did well enough to warrant a follow-up.

yeh its pretty damn good

fun fact: they lifted lots of stuff from D&D for the combat, sometimes word-for-word

Really? What did they take from D&D? One thing I really liked about Expeditions is that, unlike in D&D, there's 100% chance-to-hit for all melee attacks. There's nothing more annoying than missing a melee attack in turn-based combat.

As for the game's lack of success, I think much of it is unfortunately due to the setting. It's not fantasy or sci-fi and apparently most people have little to no interest in historical RPGs. It's a shame because Expeditions was great and I'd love to see more RPGs explore non-traditional settings.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2014, 02:31 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 01:30:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 00:51:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 14:36:
Can't believe there are that many sick people that bought that South Park crap
I wouldn't say sick... just stupid. So expensive for something so... lame.

Oh, so you bought it and played it and didn't like it? That sucks.

I think you assume too much. It's pretty common for people to bash games they've never actually played. Silly, yes, but common.

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
28. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 18:35 Jerykk

The Dual Shock has had four buttons for their D-Pad since forever. Works fine. 99% of games basically use the D-Pad as buttons anyway.  

News Comments > The Blackwell Epiphany Next Month; Preorders Begin
6. Re: The Blackwell Epiphany Next Month; Preorders Begin Mar 15, 2014, 06:39 Jerykk

bingus wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 02:50:
i.e the previous Thief games were great (well, first 2) but the new one, not so much.

That being said, I have a lot more confidence in these guys. Pre-order is in!

I thought the new Thief was pretty good but that's another topic. It's a poor analogy anyway because The Blackwell Epiphany is being made by the same developers of the previous games, unlike the new Thief. I think Cutter was just trying (and failing) to troll me or something.

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
21. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 15, 2014, 06:36 Jerykk

I don't think it's necessarily a waste of time, effort or money. M/KB is not ideal for every genre and if Valve can create a gamepad that's better than current ones, that's great.  

3. Re: The Blackwell Epiphany Next Month; Preorders Begin Mar 15, 2014, 00:09 Jerykk

Sure? Not sure how they're related.  

1. Re: The Blackwell Epiphany Next Month; Preorders Begin Mar 14, 2014, 22:58 Jerykk

Looking forward to this. The previous games were great.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:50 Jerykk

This has been making progress significantly faster than Star Citizen. Elite already has the cockpit, combat and docking implemented. We're still waiting on combat from Star Citizen. Hopefully SC doesn't end up being a poorly managed disaster ala Duke Forever.  

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
38. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:49 Jerykk

I understand your points but I repeat my point, you don't need to play the game to have reliable information on it.

Except you just proved my point. You relied on that inaccurate map to inform your assumptions about the game's level design as a whole. As such, your assumptions were mistaken. Similarly, you watched a video of the AI acting stupid and assumed that the AI always acted stupid. Again, misrepresentation.

If you approach something with a strong bias, you will focus solely on examples that support that bias while ignoring examples that don't. Franchise reboots tend to be approached with strong bias, as fans have deeply entrenched notions of what the series should be. There's also a defensive mentality at play. Thief was a fairly niche series and there are people who would never want to see it go mainstream, as it would taint the series in their minds. This happened with DX:HR, XCOM:EU, Tomb Raider and basically every reboot ever. The positive reviews of those games ensured that only the most passionate fans maintained their antagonistic viewpoint while more casual fans learned to accept the new games for what they were. Sadly, THIEF hasn't had that benefit.

36. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:34 Jerykk

I love how every franchise reboot or spinoff has people who bash on it without even having played it. I've already agreed upon many of the game's issues, like the unnecessary button mashing, occasionally buggy AI, occasional setpieces, inconsistent traversal system, useless map, mediocre writing, etc. Apparently you ignored that fact because it's much easier to believe that I'm only defending the game for... what reasons, exactly? Why would I defend a game I don't genuinely enjoy?

That said, you're right about THIEF not advancing the genre. But then, how many games actually do that? The vast majority of titles within any given genre do not advance their genre in any meaningful way. That doesn't mean they are bad games. It just means they aren't revolutionary. The spectrum of quality consists of more than just "crap" and "revolutionary." THIEF rests comfortably at "solid."

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 12:39.

34. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 03:23 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:12:
Okay you win on the bad A.I. point, kind of. Over a decade later and the A.I. of Thief 2014 is on par with the A.I. of Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you ignored my second point about the level design. I even included a picture. Are you denying that's how the game plays as depicted in that that picture?

Yes. That map was obviously drawn by someone who only watched a playthrough video and didn't actually play the level. There are actually three different ways to get to the jewelry shop and multiple entrances to said shop. The shop itself is three floors with multiple rooms. And that's the smallest level in the game. The level I just beat had branching paths leading to a mansion, which was a huge building with four floors and about 20 rooms. I could do without the linear escapes but really, those comprise maybe 10% of the full mission. You'll spend the vast majority of the mission in the big, complex, open-ended area, just like in the previous games.

Most of the main story levels are designed like that. Branching paths leading to a big, complex, open-ended area, and ending with a brief, linear escape. Side missions skip the intro and escape and just go straight to the open-ended areas where you just have to steal stuff and then return to the starting point.

It's easy to look back at the previous games and remark how large the levels were but it's important to remember how sparse those levels were too. Sure, the maps were big and open-ended but there was a lot of empty space without anything of interest. The levels in THIEF are far more detailed, both in terms of visuals and interactivity. There are more things to steal and more ways to manipulate the environment. As a whole, the environments in THIEF are far more interesting than the ones in the previous games.

As I said before, you need to actually play a game before passing judgment on it, especially when that judgment is based on opinions from other sources. You can't watch a video and then presume to know the entirety of a game's level design or AI. That's like reviewing a movie based on a trailer or a novel based on the first few pages.

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
31. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 10, 2014, 23:25 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:22:
No bot match, no sale.

Every match has bots in it. They are basically cannon fodder. If you don't like competing against other players, you could always just farm the bots.

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month
10. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month Mar 10, 2014, 23:24 Jerykk

I enjoyed the music, atmosphere and banter more than anything else. There wasn't enough enemy variety and Helsing's abilities weren't very interesting to use.  

News Comments > Interceptor Sees Blood?
26. Re: Interceptor Sees Blood? Mar 10, 2014, 23:23 Jerykk

I'm not sure why Bethesda doesn't just generate new keys for Prey or Wolfenstein (both pulled from Steam when the rights went to Bethesda). They could be generating revenue at little to no cost.  

32. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 23:06 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:47:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:39:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:35:
How many years ago did the original Thief games come out?

How is that relevant? People here are saying that Thief had better AI than the new one. That obviously isn't the case.

It kinda proves the point of the new Thief in 2014 having bad AI when weakly comparing it to instances of bad AI from games that came out 14 and 16 years ago. You made it relevant on your own.

You (and others) made it relevant when you repeatedly stated that the original games had better AI than the new one. That claim is simply untrue. You can't argue that the previous games had better AI and then use their age as a defense when proven wrong.

Every stealth game has instances where the AI behaves in a stupid or broken manner. Hitman, Splinter Cell, Thief, Manhunt, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Velvet Assassin, Mark of the Ninja... a quick search on Youtube will turn up videos that make the AI look bad in any of those games. The more popular the game, the more videos you'll find. As the videos I linked to prove, such instances are not accurate representations of the AI as a whole. The AI in the previous Thief games was generally competent, as is the case in the new game.

Look, if it strokes your ego to berate the new Thief game then by all means, carry on. But you really shouldn't try to debate specific points with someone who has played the game for 40 hours and seen 90% of the content while you've only watched a few videos and read a few reviews.

30. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:39 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:35:
How many years ago did the original Thief games come out?

How is that relevant? People here are saying that Thief had better AI than the new one. That obviously isn't the case.

28. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:26 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:13:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:
Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

Did you watch a playthrough of the entire game? If not, you aren't qualified to judge the level design throughout the entire game. And while you certainly can speak about the game, I wouldn't call it "intelligently" by any means. To do that, you need to actually play the entire game.

OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGSDrG48mo

I have to assume he wasn't playing on Master difficulty, where the AI is much more perceptive. They'll detect you if you're close enough, even in pitch dark. Again, in the 40 hours I've played (on Master difficulty), the AI has proven pretty decent.

And it's really not hard to find videos of AI acting stupid in any stealth game, especially the original Thief games. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHB9GpDiA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppTXFAxg28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9tc9_fMmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKqJVGhhpu0

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 16:38.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 12:30 Jerykk

"I am including ONE non steam game as a DOWNLOAD (not a physical copy) of GRIM FANDANGO !!!!!!"

Where is the guy getting that download from? As far as I know, no digital distributor offers Grim Fandango.

13831 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo