Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14510 (Ninja)
User ID 20715
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 12, 2015, 02:01 Jerykk
ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 17:59:
Rising Tide didn't even crack the top 3?

You sound so surprised. Beyond Earth didn't exactly set the world on fire and Rising Tide is an expansion that will only appeal to fans of the original game.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > The Park Trailer
7. Re: The Park Trailer Oct 11, 2015, 04:45 Jerykk
Hoping this is more Vanishing of Ethan Carter and less Gone Home. VEC actually had gameplay in the form of puzzles.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Specs
22. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 11, 2015, 02:34 Jerykk
Peter M. Smith wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:12:
NetHead wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
I hate when they give multiple dialogue options which goto the same outcome, I hate this in any game but in a RPG it's especially cheap and annoying. I hope they don't do that because combined with what you mentioned about the player only seeing a snip of what their character is going to say, well as a player I would feel far removed from the character in dialogue with that all happening.

Go have a conversation in Fallout 2 after you get the Empathy perk. You'll suddenly see how only two of the many options have any real meaning. The rest are wasteful banter. If I go from that down to three or four choices that always have a meaning then I won't mind the reduction. That said...

NetHead wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
Also with it voiced I'm going to guess they don't have a large selection of voices for the player character (there's going to be a lot of it and it will have to be good, adding up to a notable cost then multiply by 2 due to genders), what if you don't like the voice, the accent. How often are you going to have to listen to the exact same multipurpose line when talking to random NPCs, it's bad enough when random NPCs all sound the same and have the same dialogue but now from the PC also. What about replaying it, having a new character with the exact same voice/tone/etc as the previous, that's not thrilling.

110,000 lines of dialogue were recorded for this game. I don't think variety is going to be lacking.

Flavor text is fine. It lets you better assume the role of your choosing and inject your chosen personality into conversations. However, in Fallout 3, Bethesda proved that they are really, really bad at flavor text and speech checks. They had plenty of speech checks based on intelligence, charisma and various skills, but very rarely did the resulting dialogue even come close to reflecting its respective stat. Lines that were supposed to sound intelligent or scientific utterly failed to do so. It was painfully bad. Like, facepalm-worthy.
News Comments > Bethesda's BattleCry "Concerns"
16. Re: Bethesda's BattleCry Oct 9, 2015, 01:58 Jerykk
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 13:51:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 11:50:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:57:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:
Bethesda said something very similar before they screwed over Human Head Studios on Prey 2. This sounds very much like internal politics and someone at corporate trying to "send a message" to the developers.

How is canceling a piece of shit game "screwing over". Bethesda would be one of the last places to NOT want a return on their investment.
If they do cancel projects then it must really be massively shitty. If the developer can't do a better job then you cut the fuckers loose. Good riddance. Simple as that.

Look up Rogue Warrior if you want to see only one of the many horrible games that Bethesda has put their name on. Not to mention how virtually every one of their open world games has shipped with massive bugs, many of which take modders to fix. I wrote a thing about this back at the time. Pray 2 may have had issues (no one really knows) but Bethesda is not the world's most virtuous company.

I know. That's why, as Verno pointed out, too, games that Bethesda cancels must be truly god awful and beyond any hope of repair. Or does anyone here think they flush millions down the toilet for shits'n'giggles?
Prey 2 must have been beyond abysmal or Bethesda would have given it a shot hoping to ride on brand name alone. The fact they chose to cancel it confirms to me that Human Head did an extremely shitty job. That's why I don't see how Human Head was "screwed over".

It's not that simple. We don't know how far into development Prey 2 was before it was canceled. In all likelihood, they were still working on the vertical slice (which is probably what we saw in the E3 demo). It's not uncommon for publishers to cancel projects that early in development, especially when politics are involved. It's worth noting that the last, non-internally developed game Bethesda published was Hunted: The Demon's Forge and that was almost five years ago. Since then, every game they've released has either been developed internally or by a studio that they purchased soon after the game's release (id, Arkane, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks). It's entirely believable that Bethesda would cancel a project if the developer refused to be acquired.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Specs
16. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 9, 2015, 01:46 Jerykk
jimnms wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 22:37:
I doubt I'm going to pick this up based on what they've shown so far. I'll wait for reviews, then probably wait for the complete edition to go on sale. By then Bethesda will be done with their patches and modders will have fixed most of the rest. I've got plenty of games to hold me over until then.

Unless what they showed in the E3 footage was placeholder, what's putting me off is the lack of dialog options. I'm not too sure I like the voiced protagonist either, which kind of goes with the lack of dialog options. In the E3 demo, the "dialog wheel" only ever has 4 options, and they only show key words so you don't know what your toon is actually going to say.

Another thing is Bethesda's continuation of dumbing their games down. Just look at Morrowind compared to Oblivion compared to Skyrim. At the rate they're going, the next Elder Scrolls game will be a Telltale style game. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed item degradation in FO4 and went back to weightless ammo like FO3. Just look at the ratings, the dumber the game is, the higher it's rated.

Not sure that there's any point in waiting for reviews. This is the next big game from BGS. It's going to get 9's and 10's and plenty of GOTY awards based primarily on hype. However, if you've played their previous games, you should already know what you're getting. You'll get a big, detailed world that's fun to explore. What you won't get is good writing or a good implementation of traditional RPG features.
News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
59. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 12:23 Jerykk
Not sure if a lawsuit is a good use of backer money...  
News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
34. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 21:24 Jerykk
Jinoru wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 18:17:
Visually its looking far more polished now.

I'm not really understanding what people here are meaning by "meat."
What's the meat of Mario? The gameplay itself right? Are you expecting some RPG levels of interaction? Expecting some kind of guided narrative? What "meat" do you want?

As far as I hope Sean is showing his game off with a lot of cards close to his chest, the core stuff here looks like I'd engage with it for a long time.

Its a similar thing to how MGSV is. The core game is so great that the sparseness of the story doesn't matter to me. Even if there's no in game interaction, that doesn't mean I don't talk to my friend who's playing the game too.

I tried Elite, it was too slow and tedious. No Man's Sky looks much faster and fluid. Great colors too! Beam

MGSV has missions with objectives you need to complete in order to progress. It has interesting gameplay in that you're interacting with relatively intelligent AI that forces you to observe their behaviors and formulate a plan to deal with them. In addition, there are a large number of systems that can affect your strategy, such as sound, lighting and weather.

From what I've seen and read, NMS has none of this. It has procedurally generated creatures that aimlessly wander around and have minimal AI (they either attack you, ignore you or flee from you). There are no missions or objectives. When it comes to interacting with the world, your options consist of shooting or scanning.
News Comments > No Man's Sky on Late Show
15. Re: No Man's Sky on Late Show Oct 4, 2015, 17:12 Jerykk
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 14:36:
Forget No Man's Sky... The real story is we have a GAME DEVELOPER being seriously interviewed on a late night talk show. I'm sure a bunch of old codgers were bored or confused, but this is it, we've made it!

I think it worked because No Man Sky sounds amazing from a high-level perspective. "You can explore an essentially infinite universe where every planet and organism is unique!" Even non-gamers can appreciate the scope and ambition of that. However, where the game will likely break down is in the minute-to-minute gameplay (or lack thereof). So far, it looks like all you do is walk/fly around, scan things and gather resources so you can upgrade your ship. That's going to get old real quick. Sandbox survival games have similar gameplay, though they are primarily driven by emergent player interactions which NMS apparently won't have.
News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
78. Re: Cloud Imperium Games employee Reviews Oct 2, 2015, 04:36 Jerykk
Kxmode wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 03:14:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 00:26:
More clickbait. WTG Blue.

The Forbes guy Jason Evangelho who reported the report posted on update. "UPDATE 3: It has been revealed that some -- certainly not all -- of the quotes contained in The Escapist's article were taken from Glassdoor Australia, a website that allows anonymous reviews of employers. The concern here is that these individuals couldn't have been verified as current or former employees. At least not via Glassdoor which doesn't have an employee verification process. However, The Escapist (via author Lizzy Finnegan) says that all individuals interviewed for their article were vetted through their legal department. It's not a stretch that these employees reached out to during the same window of time that they posted their negative reviews. In my opinion, the burden of proof simply isn't on The Escapist at this point. You don't have to take the comments and allegations as fact, obviously, but I find no reason to believe this was some elaborate fabrication, either."

Indeed. The Escapist isn't going to post such an controversial article without letting their legal team vet it first.

It isn't about fabrication. It's about confirmation bias. You start with an assumption and then look exclusively for evidence to support that assumption while ignoring anything that undermines it. I'm not without concern for the feature creep and bloat of Star Citizen but articles like this tend to be one-sided and filled with half-truths.

The fact that the writer of the article posted another article a week earlier with the headline "Eject! Eject! Is Star Citizen Going to Crash and Burn?" speaks volumes of the writer's agenda. Controversy and sensationalism generate clicks, after all.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2015, 04:43.
News Comments > Hitman Rollout Detailed
9. Re: Hitman Rollout Detailed Sep 30, 2015, 00:27 Jerykk
I'm curious as to how the missions actually work out. If each location has two missions, do those missions take place in different parts of said location? Are do they take place in the same area? That would be kind of lame.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Endurance Video
15. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 27, 2015, 07:27 Jerykk
ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 09:37:
jimnms wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:27:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 09:49:
F3 was better than FNV.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, trolling or serious. Fallout 3's story was ridiculously stupid. After my first play I was scratching my head, but the stupidity of it didn't really set in until my second play through.

I'm serious. F3 had a better world, it looked more like a wasteland and was more fun to explore. Its quests were also more dynamic, there were more instances where you could complete them how you wanted.

Wha... the quests in FO3 weren't dynamic at all. Most of them were pretty linear. NV's quests, on the other hand, had plenty of branching paths and multiple solutions.

As for FO3 being more fun to explore, I'll concede that its locations were more superficially interesting. They all revolved around zany gimmicks, like a cave full of badass kids or a town built around a nuclear bomb or a tower full of rich people. Unfortunately, once you started thinking about these locations and how they fit into the world and lore, you quickly realized that they were nothing more than silly gimmicks with no real logic or cohesion. The opposite is true of NV. Initially, most of its locations aren't that interesting. However, once you start thinking about them and how they fit together, you begin to appreciate how everything is connected and how well-crafted the lore is. Everything in NV makes sense.
News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 27, 2015, 07:15 Jerykk
I don't see this getting funded. $500k isn't enough to make a game like Giants and this kickstarter isn't getting much coverage in the media. Also, the minimum pledge required to get the game is $25, which is too high for people sitting on the fence (which would be most people).  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
15. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 26, 2015, 05:47 Jerykk
Even though Fallout 3 and NV are in first person, they're still RPGs. You have to keep in mind that when you aim at something and pull the trigger, the game isn't relying on your skill as the player to make the shot, it's your character's skills that determine if you hit or not. People going into those games expecting a COD style FPS experience were disappointed. Now combat looks more FPS like, I just hope they don't remove the RPG part of it.

Pretty sure they have removed stat-based accuracy from guns. Though, they removed most of it in FO3 as well and instead focused primarily on scaling damage. In FNV, using iron sights basically gave you 100% accuracy and the game didn't suffer for it at all.

I'm actually okay with not having chance-to-hit in this kind of game. If it's real-time, first-person and requires aiming, chance-to-hit just adds an extra layer of annoyance. There was nothing less fun than seeing arrows pass right through enemies in Morrowind because of RNG. There's a reason why chance-to-hit was removed in Oblivion, Skyrim, DX:HR, etc. Hell, I'd argue that chance-to-hit is annoying in turn-based games too. Nothing quite as satisfying as getting screwed because your character missed an attack with 95% chance to hit.

The big question that remains is, how is the writing going to be? Is it going to be linear and stupid like FO3, or did they learn something from Obsidian? We already know there are going to be multiple factions, but there were two factions in FO3, you just didn't get the choice in which one you wanted to side with. Are the BOS going to be like the real BOS or FO3's knight's in shining power armor BOS?

Pretty sure the BoS are still the knights in shining armor that they were in FO3. Bethesda's writers aren't very good at moral ambiguity. If you go into FO4 (or any Bethesda RPG) expecting good writing, you'll be disappointed.
News Comments > Chris Avellone Writing for Divinity: Original Sin II
8. Re: Chris Avellone Writing for Divinity: Original Sin II Sep 26, 2015, 04:19 Jerykk
I'm hoping the writing in D:OS2 doesn't become too pretentious. I enjoyed the light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek style of the first game. I thought it was refreshing.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
2. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 24, 2015, 22:52 Jerykk
Finally some useful information. If every perk rank offers something unique (as opposed to +5% of whatever the previous rank held), this could be sufficiently compelling.  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Endurance Video
3. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 23, 2015, 22:49 Jerykk
I'm finding these videos to be pretty useless. They don't even go into detail about the attributes' perks. Also, actual gameplay footage would be nice.  
News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 23, 2015, 02:12 Jerykk
This looks to be heavily inspired by SS2. You even wake up in a stasis pod.  
News Comments > Overwatch Video Overload
3. Re: Overwatch Video Overload Sep 22, 2015, 23:35 Jerykk
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 20:25:
If 5 years ago you said..
"Blizzard.. First Person Shooter.. class-based"

I'd have jumped through my own ass to get a look. But today, I .. I dunno man, I just don't really care for anything I see in this title.

I think it looks great. In a world of generic, big-budget military shooters and uninspired indie UT/Q3 clones, Overwatch looks to offer something genuinely fresh. I love how each character has his/her own unique weapons and abilities that have a major impact on how you play the game.
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Next Month
8. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Next Month Sep 22, 2015, 23:05 Jerykk
130 GotY awards? I find that hard to believe. They must be including nominations.

On another note, can they please release a proper Mass Effect Trilogy that includes all of the DLC? I have no intention of buying overpriced Bioware Points.
News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month
12. Re: Life is Strange Episode 5 Next Month Sep 22, 2015, 03:18 Jerykk
Life is Strange is great. It's way better than Telltale's games from a mechanical standpoint, as you have full camera control and controls that don't suck. Also, no QTEs. In addition, the games do a great job of making it feel like your choices actually matter. Puzzles are also way better than TT's recent efforts (as in, they actually exist and require thought). The writing is generally solid, though you can tell that it was written by people who don't actually live in the U.S. That said, the quirkiness and occasional awkwardness do lend a certain charm to the characters and setting.

If you're highly averse to playing as a teenage girl in high school, you won't like the game. If you're a bit more open-minded and enjoy story-driven games, you'll likely have a good time.
14510 Comments. 726 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo