Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14067 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Raven's Cry Next Year
5. Re: Raven's Cry next Year Nov 25, 2013, 01:17 Jerykk

Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. Mechanically, TW2 wasn't bad. It's just that the writing was so bad and setting so generic that it was difficult to find motivation to continue playing. Hopefully they hired some decent writers for this one.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - GOTY Nov 25, 2013, 01:14 Jerykk

Strange that Rockstar never bothered porting RDR to PC. Surely it would have been profitable enough to warrant the effort. Also, given how much it cost to develop the game, you'd think they'd want to milk it for every cent they could.  

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
39. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 25, 2013, 01:11 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 11:23:
shihonage wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 23:26:
You're a LARPer. Bethesda makes games for LARPers because of their own failure at semi-coherent or even meaningfully branching narrative. You enjoy the walking simulator aspect, while for me it's gotten banal, mundane and generally old a long time ago.

I understand some games where this works. Games where you truly create your own narrative, because they're procedural and feature emergent gameplay features. Games like Dwarf Fortress. You don't need to LARP in Dwarf Fortress, because what happens IS the story.

Fallout 3 doesn't have that, neither does Skyrim. Neither does GTA series for that matter. They don't have fluid gameplay systems that intersect and create emergent narrative.

Therefore, you're forced to LARP it while you walk the wasteland and hand in some of the worst-written quests in history of videogames. Your emergent gameplay there amounts to an odd bug or to rearranging furniture in someone's home.

And since the rational mind rejects vampire cults, suicidal trees, and towns built on nuclear bombs, it just leaves a void where narrative should've been.

As for sales numbers, that's hardly indicator of quality. Phantom Menace made a mountain of money, yet it's one of the worst movies ever made.

It's a quality game. Bethesda is a quality company. You not liking it doesn't change that. The people have spoken, with words and wallets. I like what I like, you can enjoy what you like, but you are wrong stating we are wrong for liking what we like. I loved FO3 even more than Vegas, because I liked the larger world with more places to go into and explore, with added mod support I will surrender.

Bethesda is good at making big, detailed worlds to explore but they are terrible at making any of the characters or history of these worlds make sense. There are an obscene amount of logic holes in FO3, primarily due to the fact that Bethesda's writers are more interested in silly gimmicks than coherent lore. Megaton, Little Lamplight, Tenpenny Tower... it was like going to a theme park where the facade is broken the moment you actually think about it.

Also, the quests in FO3 weren't really branching. The vast majority of them were completely linear, with the only choice being to do them or not. In NV, most of the quests had actual branches based on your character's skills and/or moral decisions.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
40. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 22:18 Jerykk

Yep. I can see why in-game it needs to happen, because there are WAAAAAAY too many ships on the ocean, and any time you start a fight, you wind up fighting 3-4 ships in the space of ten seconds, so if they kept firing while you were boarding, you'd never, ever board anything.

I don't think that would have been problematic, though. It would have just required players to take out all nearby ships before boarding any one of them, which would have in turn made the whole instant repair tactic less viable. Even something as simple as disabling boarding entirely until all ships are neutralized would have worked.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 17:50 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 17:00:
Only thing I don't like is that you can evade sticky situations by boarding a smaller ship and repairing

Yeah, that's bullshit. I refuse to do that. It's even more nonsensical than if there'd been health powerups floating on the ocean.

It's also dumb that you can lower your wanted level by boarding ships too. Finally, it's dumb that other ships stop attacking you while you're boarding.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
66. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 17:47 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 10:39:
Just wondering how many people here have played Drakensang 1 or 2? They are pause based, they are actually quite good, I would have prefered TB, but just saying, I think a lot of people looked right past this franchise.

I played them and thought the combat was terrible, mainly due to the pacing. It's technically real-time but the delay between actions is so long that turn-based would have actually been faster. Seriously, when the delay between basic attacks is 3-5 seconds, why even make it real-time?

As for people defending the Infinity Engine, I don't think it was bad. I just think that the combat in PST was bad. I also think that turn-based is better, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

59. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 05:47 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 05:32:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 05:05:
Also, why would combat even be a factor in you backing Torment? Combat was easily the worst part of PST and any changes they could make to it would be for the better.

Because I like real-time with pause gameplay and that's what I expected by this being a spiritual sequel to PT. I play some turn-based games (I've even backed Wasteland 2), but I get more enjoyment out of RPGs with real-time with pause. And if they implemented the combat exactly as it was in Planescape Torment I'm sure everyone would be unhappy as well. It can be improved upon and I certainly never would expect them to not improve upon it.

To reiterate...I hope they do both systems, or a mix of the two. People on the turn-based side keep touting "but Torment is a story driven game". That doesn't mean they can't have real-time with pause, or even that turn-based combat makes the story driven game better in any way. The Witcher is real-time with pause and the story certainly didn't suffer because of it.

Currently playing Expeditions Conquistador, which is very good. The turn-based combat I found difficult at first, until I understood all the rules and abilities. Now I'm in Mexico and combat is literally a no lose situation. They need to resort to outnumbering me 12 units to my 6 to even make it a challenge.

Basically all turn-based games I've found have to resort to AI cheating to increase the challenge because once a player knows how the rules work, they will beat the computer every time. You can see this in everything from Civ to XCom.

The problem is that trying to design combat that works in both real-time and turn-based never ends well. See Arcanum for a good example of that. The mechanics and systems involved are too different.

As for AI, RT is no different from TB when it comes to cheating. In Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale or PST or Dragon's Age, the designers inevitably have to challenge you by either throwing hordes of enemies at you or by making ridiculously overpowered enemies. It's not like the AI in RT combat is any better than the AI in turn-based combat.

Finally, are you playing Expeditions with the latest patch? I know that Mexico was a joke in the original release but I thought they patched it to make it significantly harder.

57. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 05:05 Jerykk

Yea I think it does enhance gameplay. Straight turn-based, while in general I have no problem with it, once you know how everything works combat generally ceases to be a challenge. You know how to deal with each unit and make your moves accordingly. In a real-time with pause situation it is a lot more dynamic and things can happen that aren't necessarily predictable.

Except in real-time with pause, you can always just pause the game if something unpredictable happens. Real-time also means you have ample opportunity to recover from mistakes whereas turn-based means you have to live with the consequences. As such, every decision you make in turn-based combat is far more meaningful than the decisions you make in RT combat.

Also, why would combat even be a factor in you backing Torment? Combat was easily the worst part of PST and any changes they could make to it would be for the better.

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
46. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 02:16 Jerykk

Krizzen wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 01:20:
I bet $100 he'll be with Valve very, very shortly and there will be much rejoice.

Why would he join Valve when he just recently joined Oculus Rift? He's more interested in gadgets than anything else at the moment so OR seems like a much better fit than Valve.

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
32. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 23, 2013, 01:57 Jerykk

Kinda hard to get hyped about FO4 when I know Bethesda is going to be making it. They're great at making big, detailed worlds to explore but they aren't so great at making RPGs. Would be a dream come true if Bethesda just outsourced all future Fallout games to Obsidian and gave them enough time (more than 2 years) to make them great and polished.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 21, 2013, 03:14 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:02:
Verno wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:57:
I can't really tell the difference between the PC and PS4 versions from 9 feet away to be honest but hey its a great game for any platform. I think they did a good job porting it, I didn't really notice any frame spiking outside of the in-engine cutscenes.

Well, of course you're not going to see it from 9 feet away. I'm not saying the PS4 version looks bad or anything, it looks great. But the PC version definitely looks better if you put them side by side (or put youtube videos side by side.)

So to expect the PC to just have rock solid 60fps because "it's a console port" is.... well anyway.

The cutscenes are where it goes to 40ish fps for me. Most everything outside of it is in the 50s.

Youtube videos aren't really useful for comparing image quality due to all the video compression and capped framerate. When I judge AC4's performance, I judge it based on the performance of similar-looking PC games (like FC3). While AC4 has nice graphics (I'd argue that it's about on par with FC3), it certainly doesn't warrant any drops below 60 on a decent PC.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Hanger 6 R&D DLC
3. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Hanger 6 R&D DLC Nov 20, 2013, 23:48 Jerykk

Hopefully the full game gets a hefty discount during the Steam holiday sale. $10-15 seems like a fair price.  

News Comments > Tribal Wars 2 Announced
3. Re: Tribal Wars 2 Announced Nov 20, 2013, 23:45 Jerykk

I thought this would be related to Tribes.  

33. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2013, 12:34 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 00:56:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 00:19:
AC3 was not a good port. It was poorly optimized and heavily CPU-dependent for no apparent reason.

It ran fine on my system from day one. Never had any issues with it whatsoever.

Different definitions of "fine", I suppose. A console port should never drop below 60 FPS, which both AC3 and 4 do on a regular basis. FC3 looks better than AC4 and it runs a hell of a lot better too.

21. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2013, 00:19 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 00:10:
Taskeen wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:52:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 20:24:
Did anyone picked this up on the PC?
I am hearing some good things about this one. Like it is a better Far Cry then Far Cry 3 was.

I got it, but have been having some issues transferring the data from my work Uplay install to my home install.

"Being able to create and restore backups? Why the hell would anyone want to do that?!"

-cuntrack Ubisoft executive.

Some people at Kotaku said they absolutely preferred AC Black Flag on PC compared to console, and would never buy AC again on console.

They've always been excellent ports, so I don't see why this one would be any different, but hopefully I'll have some comments tomorrow.

AC3 was not a good port. It was poorly optimized and heavily CPU-dependent for no apparent reason. Apparently AC4 is more of the same, though this may be fixed with patches and driver updates.

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
42. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 18:44 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:36:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 05:31:
What are you talking about? Walking Dead Season 4 breaks rating records
Laugh. You realize that you ask for hard numbers...they're given...and you continue to try to refute them with a single months or years old bit of data, right? The season's viewership is down 25 percent in just a few weeks. That puts it lower than where the last season ended... But when it doesn't go your way...suddenly it's not applicable or the fault of the writers. Gotcha.

Regardless, you're going to continue wasting time with straw men, as in your silly FPS argument (a genre with a 20 year steady track record), so I think we're done. You won. Zombies are the new pinnacle of media (ignoring historical data and cyclical trends since they first hit pop culture). Thank you for enlightening me. In 18-24 months, you're welcome to come back and make me eat crow over the continuing thriving state of zombies in media. But we both know that won't be the case.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize that writing had no bearing on a show's ratings. My bad. Yes, the declining ratings have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the first four episodes of this season have been relatively uneventful and slow, with 90% of the show taking place inside the prison where a bunch of random characters that nobody cares about slowly die of sickness.

Your argument relies solely on the fact that the Walking Dead ratings have declined since the (record-breaking) season premiere. My argument relies on numerous facts, such as:

1) The Walking Dead TV season premiere had the highest ratings the show has ever had.
2) The Walking Dead game series is by far the most successful series Telltale has ever made, selling over 21 million episodes and garnering many GotY awards.
3) The second season of the Walking Dead game series is coming out soon and will very likely be just as popular as the first season.
4) MS paid good money to Capcom to make Dead Rising 3 an Xbone exclusive.
5) WB is paying good money to Techland to make Dying Light.
6) State of Decay is the fastest-selling game on XBLA, has sold over a million copies, was recently ported to PC (where it was in the top 10 for weeks) and is about to get to new DLC.
7) Resident Evil 6 is the best-selling RE game and one of Capcom's best-selling games of all time.
8) Indies continue to pump out zombie games.

None of these facts show a downward trend. They show the opposite. Will zombies still be as popular in two years? Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure DayZ will be out before then, though.

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS?
17. Re: Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS? Nov 17, 2013, 18:03 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:51:
3 years in a row???

What? Most Wanted wasn't capped at 30 FPS, neither was Hot Pursuit. The Run was capped at 30, though they eventually patched that out.

34. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 05:31 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 02:49:
Sigh. Try to follow the current numbers/logic rather than looking at dev dreams or what the numbers were a year ago. The Walking Dead's numbers have dropped 24.7% in viewership since the current season started. Every other season has seen significant growth. At the current rate, this season will end with a lower viewership than the season prior. That isn't opinion...

What are you talking about? Walking Dead Season 4 breaks rating records

Ratings since the record-setting premiere have gone up and down, as is normal for any television show, especially when competing with Sunday Night Football games. There's also the matter of the show's writing, which has been a mixed bag this season and doesn't accurately represent interest in zombies as a whole.

As for the success of sandbox games, I'm not sure that using Minecraft as a standard really proves anything. Minecraft is the most successful indie game ever made. I doubt any other indie game, regardless of genre, will ever be as successful. DayZ isn't even a sandbox game in the same vein as Minecraft so I'm not sure why you bring it up. The vast majority of games in any given genre are not going to be big hits, whether it's a Minecraft clone or a zombie survival game. What matters are the games that do succeed. 3 years ago, you could have arbitrarily declared that military shooters were on the decline. But hey, lo and behold, Call of Duty and Battlefield are still as successful as they ever were.

So basically, there's nothing that really supports your belief that zombies will be less popular by the time DayZ Standalone is released. World War Z was a big hit. The Walking Dead (both the TV series and game series) is a big hit. Resident Evil 6 is a big hit. State of Decay is a big hit. Dying Light will probably be a big hit. All the numbers suggest that interest in zombies is still as strong as ever.

I'm not even a fan of zombies. I just find that your opinion isn't supported by the numbers I'm seeing for zombie-related media.

29. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:54 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 22:08:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
According to who? Last I checked, zombie games are still popular. State of Decay, a port of a zombie game released for Xbox 6 months ago, just recently came out on Steam and has been doing well. It's getting new DLC soon, which will very likely do well too. Resident Evil 6, a zombie game released a year ago, sold over 5 million copies. If Left4Dead 3 ever comes out, I'm sure it will sell millions as well.

I love it when people make declarations that have no basis in reality.
...no basis in reality? And you're citing the stats for a franchise game released a year ago as being applicable to the success of a niche game that will come out in another 18 months? If DayZ would come out now and somehow overcome all of the buggy foundation code, it would probably do very well. In 18 months? With them showing this as a gameplay trailer? They'll be lucky to get 60% of the potential sales they could have had in mid 2013.

Take a look at how all the zombie themed media is trending....downward. Yes yes, it's still selling, however, it's not as hot as it was. They're still selling, but there is a downward trend. Just like right now it seems that a lot of indie rogue-like games are hot....while minecraft clones are on the wane.

Again, where are you getting your numbers from? Where are your statistics showing that zombies are becoming less popular? MS signed an exclusivity deal with Capcom for a Xbone exclusive zombie game (Dead Rising 3). Techland is working on a high-profile AAA zombie game (Dying Light). Undead Labs is about to release DLC for their highly-acclaimed zombie game (State of Decay) that has sold over a million copies and was the fastest selling XBLA game in history. Season 2 of the highly-successful Walking Dead games (which earned GotY from many media outlets) is coming out soon. The Walking Dead TV series continues to be one of the most popular shows on television.

You may be getting bored of zombies but your opinion clearly doesn't represent that of the greater populace. If zombies are on the decline, there has yet to be any evidence showing that.

Now, if you were simply arguing that DayZ is well past its prime, you might have a point. The hype generated from the mod has basically died and the survival genre has become far less novel since then. But again, this has nothing to do with zombies and everything to do with the two factors I just mentioned.

P.S. Minecraft clones are not on the wane at all. They are a dime a dozen, with new ones being released on a regular basis. Just check out Greenlight for proof of that. Or Trove, the newly announced MMO from Trion. Or even the new Everquest game, which draws much inspiration from Minecraft.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2013, 02:01.

28. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:40 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 23:59:
Whats with all the motion BLUR, I am NOT putting up with that shit... can barely turn without the screen going fuzzy, what the hell.

ArmA2 always had motion blur. You can turn it off in the options menu.

14067 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo