Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14013 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
21. Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2013, 00:19 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 00:10:
Taskeen wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:52:
Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 20:24:
Did anyone picked this up on the PC?
I am hearing some good things about this one. Like it is a better Far Cry then Far Cry 3 was.

I got it, but have been having some issues transferring the data from my work Uplay install to my home install.

"Being able to create and restore backups? Why the hell would anyone want to do that?!"

-cuntrack Ubisoft executive.

Some people at Kotaku said they absolutely preferred AC Black Flag on PC compared to console, and would never buy AC again on console.

They've always been excellent ports, so I don't see why this one would be any different, but hopefully I'll have some comments tomorrow.

AC3 was not a good port. It was poorly optimized and heavily CPU-dependent for no apparent reason. Apparently AC4 is more of the same, though this may be fixed with patches and driver updates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
42. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 18:44 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:36:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 05:31:
What are you talking about? Walking Dead Season 4 breaks rating records
Laugh. You realize that you ask for hard numbers...they're given...and you continue to try to refute them with a single months or years old bit of data, right? The season's viewership is down 25 percent in just a few weeks. That puts it lower than where the last season ended... But when it doesn't go your way...suddenly it's not applicable or the fault of the writers. Gotcha.

Regardless, you're going to continue wasting time with straw men, as in your silly FPS argument (a genre with a 20 year steady track record), so I think we're done. You won. Zombies are the new pinnacle of media (ignoring historical data and cyclical trends since they first hit pop culture). Thank you for enlightening me. In 18-24 months, you're welcome to come back and make me eat crow over the continuing thriving state of zombies in media. But we both know that won't be the case.

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize that writing had no bearing on a show's ratings. My bad. Yes, the declining ratings have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the first four episodes of this season have been relatively uneventful and slow, with 90% of the show taking place inside the prison where a bunch of random characters that nobody cares about slowly die of sickness.

Your argument relies solely on the fact that the Walking Dead ratings have declined since the (record-breaking) season premiere. My argument relies on numerous facts, such as:

1) The Walking Dead TV season premiere had the highest ratings the show has ever had.
2) The Walking Dead game series is by far the most successful series Telltale has ever made, selling over 21 million episodes and garnering many GotY awards.
3) The second season of the Walking Dead game series is coming out soon and will very likely be just as popular as the first season.
4) MS paid good money to Capcom to make Dead Rising 3 an Xbone exclusive.
5) WB is paying good money to Techland to make Dying Light.
6) State of Decay is the fastest-selling game on XBLA, has sold over a million copies, was recently ported to PC (where it was in the top 10 for weeks) and is about to get to new DLC.
7) Resident Evil 6 is the best-selling RE game and one of Capcom's best-selling games of all time.
8) Indies continue to pump out zombie games.

None of these facts show a downward trend. They show the opposite. Will zombies still be as popular in two years? Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure DayZ will be out before then, though.

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS?
17. Re: Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS? Nov 17, 2013, 18:03 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:51:
3 years in a row???

What? Most Wanted wasn't capped at 30 FPS, neither was Hot Pursuit. The Run was capped at 30, though they eventually patched that out.

34. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 05:31 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 02:49:
Sigh. Try to follow the current numbers/logic rather than looking at dev dreams or what the numbers were a year ago. The Walking Dead's numbers have dropped 24.7% in viewership since the current season started. Every other season has seen significant growth. At the current rate, this season will end with a lower viewership than the season prior. That isn't opinion...

What are you talking about? Walking Dead Season 4 breaks rating records

Ratings since the record-setting premiere have gone up and down, as is normal for any television show, especially when competing with Sunday Night Football games. There's also the matter of the show's writing, which has been a mixed bag this season and doesn't accurately represent interest in zombies as a whole.

As for the success of sandbox games, I'm not sure that using Minecraft as a standard really proves anything. Minecraft is the most successful indie game ever made. I doubt any other indie game, regardless of genre, will ever be as successful. DayZ isn't even a sandbox game in the same vein as Minecraft so I'm not sure why you bring it up. The vast majority of games in any given genre are not going to be big hits, whether it's a Minecraft clone or a zombie survival game. What matters are the games that do succeed. 3 years ago, you could have arbitrarily declared that military shooters were on the decline. But hey, lo and behold, Call of Duty and Battlefield are still as successful as they ever were.

So basically, there's nothing that really supports your belief that zombies will be less popular by the time DayZ Standalone is released. World War Z was a big hit. The Walking Dead (both the TV series and game series) is a big hit. Resident Evil 6 is a big hit. State of Decay is a big hit. Dying Light will probably be a big hit. All the numbers suggest that interest in zombies is still as strong as ever.

I'm not even a fan of zombies. I just find that your opinion isn't supported by the numbers I'm seeing for zombie-related media.

29. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:54 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 22:08:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 20:01:
According to who? Last I checked, zombie games are still popular. State of Decay, a port of a zombie game released for Xbox 6 months ago, just recently came out on Steam and has been doing well. It's getting new DLC soon, which will very likely do well too. Resident Evil 6, a zombie game released a year ago, sold over 5 million copies. If Left4Dead 3 ever comes out, I'm sure it will sell millions as well.

I love it when people make declarations that have no basis in reality.
...no basis in reality? And you're citing the stats for a franchise game released a year ago as being applicable to the success of a niche game that will come out in another 18 months? If DayZ would come out now and somehow overcome all of the buggy foundation code, it would probably do very well. In 18 months? With them showing this as a gameplay trailer? They'll be lucky to get 60% of the potential sales they could have had in mid 2013.

Take a look at how all the zombie themed media is trending....downward. Yes yes, it's still selling, however, it's not as hot as it was. They're still selling, but there is a downward trend. Just like right now it seems that a lot of indie rogue-like games are hot....while minecraft clones are on the wane.

Again, where are you getting your numbers from? Where are your statistics showing that zombies are becoming less popular? MS signed an exclusivity deal with Capcom for a Xbone exclusive zombie game (Dead Rising 3). Techland is working on a high-profile AAA zombie game (Dying Light). Undead Labs is about to release DLC for their highly-acclaimed zombie game (State of Decay) that has sold over a million copies and was the fastest selling XBLA game in history. Season 2 of the highly-successful Walking Dead games (which earned GotY from many media outlets) is coming out soon. The Walking Dead TV series continues to be one of the most popular shows on television.

You may be getting bored of zombies but your opinion clearly doesn't represent that of the greater populace. If zombies are on the decline, there has yet to be any evidence showing that.

Now, if you were simply arguing that DayZ is well past its prime, you might have a point. The hype generated from the mod has basically died and the survival genre has become far less novel since then. But again, this has nothing to do with zombies and everything to do with the two factors I just mentioned.

P.S. Minecraft clones are not on the wane at all. They are a dime a dozen, with new ones being released on a regular basis. Just check out Greenlight for proof of that. Or Trove, the newly announced MMO from Trion. Or even the new Everquest game, which draws much inspiration from Minecraft.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2013, 02:01.

28. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 01:40 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 23:59:
Whats with all the motion BLUR, I am NOT putting up with that shit... can barely turn without the screen going fuzzy, what the hell.

ArmA2 always had motion blur. You can turn it off in the options menu.

20. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 20:01 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 17:02:
Just in time for the zombie fad to have fallen out of favor. These guys just squandered the only real opportunity they'll ever have in the market.

According to who? Last I checked, zombie games are still popular. State of Decay, a port of a zombie game released for Xbox 6 months ago, just recently came out on Steam and has been doing well. It's getting new DLC soon, which will very likely do well too. Resident Evil 6, a zombie game released a year ago, sold over 5 million copies. If Left4Dead 3 ever comes out, I'm sure it will sell millions as well.

I love it when people make declarations that have no basis in reality.

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
78. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 06:02 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 04:36:
Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 03:18:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 23:00:
As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

agreed. It's some guy in leathers, sneaking around some medieval steampunk world, nicking stuff from pompous rich people. Seems very much like the Thief I grew up with. It has some changes also, but lots of other IPs go through changes, revisions, re-imaginings, reboots. Sometimes that works and you get new, interesting takes on things, sometimes it falls flat.

This x100.

Jerykk always makes these Thief discussions interesting, what with the way he's passionately defending the game that's not even out yet against people bashing the game that's not even out yet xD

It's not even specific to this game, though. I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information. THIEF may well end up being crap but there's simply not enough info available to make that judgment yet. Claims that the game isn't "Thief" enough are similarly unfounded and appear to stem from people taking a few nitpicks and blowing them way out of proportion.

70. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 23:00 Jerykk

As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

33. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 12:31 Jerykk

I'll give you an example from Deus Ex : HR, when your guy grabs guys from behind and does all sorts of cool moves. While we get emotional highs from it, it takes part of the fun out of the game and if not done right break the pace of the game. Not only that it wears off seeing your guy do the same scripted move for the 100th time.

That's not a QTE. A QTE involves multiple button presses in sync with on-screen prompts. Thief is not removing the one-button takedowns. They are just removing the few instances where they had actual QTEs, likely during cutscenes.

Anyway, while it is a bit weird to see them making changes like this so close to release, removing QTEs isn't that much of a change. From what they say, they only had a few QTEs in the game to begin with.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Nov 15, 2013, 02:44 Jerykk

Expeditions alone is well worth the $6. Criminally overlooked RPG that was a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Dex Kickstarter
3. Re: Dex Kickstarter Nov 13, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

I think this looks pretty cool and Ouya definitely isn't the lead platform. You can see a mouse cursor floating around in the video. I'm not really sure why they're releasing for Ouya at all but as long as it doesn't hurt the PC version, I'm fine with it.  

News Comments > 40 New Steam Greenlights
3. Re: 40 New Steam Greenlights Nov 13, 2013, 01:28 Jerykk

Valve really needs to consider more factors when greenlighting games. For one, games that have already been released should get priority over games that haven't. Canceled games should be removed from Greenlight entirely and games that failed their Kickstarters should get lowest priority.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
28. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 13, 2013, 01:19 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:45:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:29:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

Condemned, Condemned 2, Gotham City Imposters, Guardians of Middle Earth, Matrix Online, that one crap Tron game, and there was the one with Ice-T. Probably some I'm forgetting. But the shit games were interspersed throughout their life, so I don't think their batting average has changed at all.

Condemned was great. Never played the sequel but I heard it was pretty solid (it also has an 80 average on Metacritic). Tron 2.0 was definitely good. Sanity was decent.

Really, I think your definition of "shit" could use some refinement. The majority of Monolith's work has been at least solid, with some games being great.

The big problem is that WB is just using Monolith to pump out LotR games now, which is a waste of their talents. This new game could very well be decent but I'd much rather see another NOLF or Blood game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2013, 23:39 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 01:16:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 05:03:
Except there are plenty of sequels/prequels that are just more of the same but still get high scores. As I mentioned before, it has everything to do with hype and marketing. More hype and marketing = higher scores, regardless of how innovative the game actually is. The CoD games haven't really evolved (many would say they've actually devolved) since CoD4 yet they still get 8's and 9's every year. Same with Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Uncharted, Mass Effect, GTA, etc. Another big factor is the developer. If the sequel/prequel isn't done by the original developer, reviewers tend to be a lot less forgiving and a lot more demanding. Watch as the next Rocksteady Batman game gets 9's with only incremental improvements to the core gameplay.

You did NOT just lump Mass Effect in with Call of Duty...

Fight

ME is way better than CoD but like CoD, the ME sequels didn't really change the core gameplay very much. The biggest change between the games was the skill tree. The actual gameplay (running around, talking to NPCs and shooting stuff) remained very much the same. The same can be said for the Arkham games, though the jump from Asylum to City was more substantial than any of the changes made in the ME sequels.

Sorry, Jerykk, but it is possible. No, not for the "special" NPCs, but...2/3...1/2 of the fights? I have literally beating large groups of standard NPCs with only a single button (the block to counter action does not even require you to be facing the enemy or any other input in its direction.)

Even for the special NPCs, just do the disarm or the one magical ability you pick up the first time they appear and they, too, can be treated very much the same. Counter, counter, counter...oh wait, that dude is going for his weapons...attack...counter, counter, counter...

Origins actually mixes things up so you have much more enemy variety. In any given fight, you usually have at least four different enemy types and I don't remember that being the case in City. Throw in the new enemy types and the standard counters aren't nearly as effective as before. Turn off the counter prompts and they're even less effective. Origins also has a rating system that offers bonus XP for skill and variation, providing further incentive to try new things and take risks.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 23:45.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 12, 2013, 04:04 Jerykk

Burial At Sea Ep 1 doesn't cost $20. Burial At Sea Ep 1 + Ep 2 + Clash in the Clouds costs $20. If each one provides a few hours of gameplay (which BAS Ep 1 and CitC have already done), that's about 9 hours of gameplay for $20. That's not a bad deal at all.

Also, it helps that I got the season pass for $10 instead of $20. It's generally a bad idea to pay full price for season passes.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2013, 05:03 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 23:31:
Quinn wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 18:51:
Hate the fact Arkham Origins isn't in this list. The game has gotten an unfair amount of bashing. The game is completely on par with the prequels!

I think you've answered your own question. It's on par. It adds nothing new. It's MOTS. That's why it's getting bashed, IMO.

Except there are plenty of sequels/prequels that are just more of the same but still get high scores. As I mentioned before, it has everything to do with hype and marketing. More hype and marketing = higher scores, regardless of how innovative the game actually is. The CoD games haven't really evolved (many would say they've actually devolved) since CoD4 yet they still get 8's and 9's every year. Same with Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Uncharted, Mass Effect, GTA, etc. Another big factor is the developer. If the sequel/prequel isn't done by the original developer, reviewers tend to be a lot less forgiving and a lot more demanding. Watch as the next Rocksteady Batman game gets 9's with only incremental improvements to the core gameplay.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 19:37 Jerykk

The combat works, but you don't really have to do anything - if you wanted, you could even not attack and just counter whenever your bat senses go off.

That's not actually true at all. You can't counter the shield guys or stun baton guys or guys who charge you, nor can you counter guys shooting at you. Countering knife guys is way more involved than just tapping the Counter key too. The armored guys can be countered, but you'll never actually defeat them with just counters alone. Origins throws in a few more enemy types that require more than just countering too. If you tried to play Arkham City or Origins by just standing there and pressing Counter, you'd fail. And if you want extra challenge, just turn off the Counter prompts.

As for Origins' critical reception, I'm not too surprised. It wasn't made by Rocksteady, it didn't have a lot of hype or marketing and it's basically just more of the same. Only heavily-hyped series like CoD, BF or Assassin's Creed can get away with more of the same and only when it's from an established developer.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Nov 8, 2013, 00:30 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:20:
Is Blood Dragon just Far Cry 3 with a retro 80's vibe or does it do its own thing?

Basically just FC3 with a 80's sci-fi vibe.

14013 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo