Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13986 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 22:07 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 21:43:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 27, 2013, 16:21:
The Mass Effect Trilogy is actually missing most of the DLC.
Actually, to be precise, thats not entirely a correct statement. From what I can tell, both ME1 and ME2 have all the DLC. Its ME3 that doesn't have much included. I think its the bigger DLC they don't include
And they have several DLC in the list that you can add into the account for free. Anytime I see free DLC, I always add it right then. Never know when they might start charging. Or like if its a limited time offer like the free SR4 GTA DLC thats was free for a couple days.

Not sure where you got your info from but the Mass Effect Trilogy is definitely missing most of the ME2 DLC. It doesn't include Lair of the Shadowbroker, Arrival, Overlord or Kasumi - Stolen Memory. Basically, all the DLC with any substance.

http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-trilogy-dlc/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Batman: Arkham Origins Oct 27, 2013, 17:46 Jerykk

Yeah, that Burnley Comms Tower bug is pretty bad. No idea how that got past QA, as it is most likely a level design issue (broken/missing trigger) and therefore present in every version of the game. Luckily, restarting from a checkpoint gets you out of the room but still, that bug should have never made it through submission.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 16:21 Jerykk

The Mass Effect Trilogy is actually missing most of the DLC. Not sure why EA even put the bundle together. The only way to get the DLC on PC is to use Bioware points, which never go on sale. If you want to buy all the DLC for ME3, you'll probably end up spending around $50, which is ludicrous considering that you can often find the base game for $5.

As for the lack of controller support, I imagine that has to do with the revamped UI in the PC versions of ME. They'd have to switch between UIs based on your active controller and apparently that's too much effort for them.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Oct 26, 2013, 18:24 Jerykk

The first episode of Wolf Among Us is definitely better than the first episode of TWD.

fiftykyu wrote on Oct 26, 2013, 10:21:
Yes, Groupees is a legit bundle site. I've bought many random games from them (that I'll probably never play) and have no complaints.

One minor thing with these bundle sites, sometimes they're offering a Desura key or a drm-free version, and not a Steam key. In the example you gave, only the Exceed games are on Steam so if you just want to make your Steam library bigger, pay attention...

True, but if those Desura or DRM-free games eventually make it onto Steam, Groupees will usually give you a Steam key.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix Oct 24, 2013, 01:30 Jerykk

Hopefully this has a lot of genuinely new content. The trailer didn't really show anything new aside from the dominatrix character.  

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
38. Re: CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM Oct 24, 2013, 01:28 Jerykk

I'm fine with the memory requirement, even if it does seem excessive for a CoD game, but 40 gigs of HD space? Really? That's bigger than most MMOs. How exactly does a 4 hour shooter have that much content? Maybe every single texture in the game is 4096x4096? That's the only thing I can think of.  

News Comments > Devolver's Blood Hint
3. Re: Devolver's Blood Hint Oct 23, 2013, 01:15 Jerykk

Shadow Warrior was surprisingly good. If they can make a Blood sequel/reboot of the same caliber, I'll definitely pick it up. Shame that the major media outlets basically ignored Shadow Warrior, though. Most of them didn't post any reviews until a week or two after launch.  

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
57. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 22, 2013, 04:00 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 10:07:
Having issues with people somehow defending the idea of no manual jumping. It sucks as a matter of fact. No matter what excuse you make up. The major reason, that seems to be ignored indefinitely, is the fact that you can now no longer calculate a jump onto a set of boxes, for example, from a higher level up, to get a better position to either ghost past or knock out a guard.

There's no "we'll see" in this. It sucks. Period. How much the entire game will suck or not? We'll see, indeed.

You don't need to calculate a jump onto a set of boxes because the game will do it for you. As I mentioned earlier, the game uses an AC-style traversal system where the game automatically jumps for you. So, if there's a set of boxes you can jump on and you run towards it, you will automatically jump onto the set of boxes. Granted, removing the skill part of it is disappointing but you're still able to go where you want to go.

The lack of manual jumping really isn't that big of a deal if there are other systems that achieve the same results.

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
13. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 20, 2013, 17:10 Jerykk

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 14:03:
Was this something that was only discovered after it went live on steam and purchasing the product or was it something the devs acknowledged prior to release or in a beta? They could have cut content elsewhere which had less of an impact on the game.

If I got roped in to this, I'd want a refund.

Edit: Not only was it hush hush until it hit Steam but it seems as though some are questioning whether or not this is the exact same copy sent to vloggers and such from some time ago with no updates.

The plot thickens?

Why would you deserve a refund? When you buy a game, there's no money-back guarantee if the game has a crappy ending. If that was the case, 90% of games would give you a refund. Also, so what if the ending sucks if the rest of the game was enjoyable? The ending comprises approximately 0.1% of the entire game.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Oct 20, 2013, 01:02 Jerykk

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:53:
The vigors were guns by other names -- the exact opposite of the design approach that animated PSI powers in SS2. The gear was largely irrelevant, and since it was placed randomly it became more of "Pick a crappy bonus" thing than something that allowed you to build a character. The companion was just down right creepy; the extent to which they were trying to tug at the heartstrings of virgin nerds was both blatant and disturbing, particularly when it's revealed what the PC's relationship is to the companion. The setting was clever, but ultimately underutilized. The writing was largely directionless, lacked dramatic impetus and committed the greatest sin possible: telling a story that was boring. Including some throw away political allegory -- even if it's an allegorical analysis I am inclined to agree with -- doesn't make a tepid story good. The skylines were a gimic that did little to enliven gameplay, as were the tears.

It was a decent enough game, and I guess it at least tried to be different in aesthetic from Call of Duty, but the gameplay nevertheless consisted of progressing through linear levels with two weapons at a time and regenerating health against about a half-dozen enemy types. In other words, the gameplay was pretty typical of a modern console shooter.

The vigors were weapons, yes. Interesting weapons that can combo together in various ways. This is a stark difference from most shooters where the weapons are just guns with slightly different rates of fire, accuracy and damage and where the most effective tactic against any enemy is to shoot them in the head.

Gear wasn't irrelevant at all. At least, not in 1999 Mode where maximizing your damage output is essential. Although they are randomly spawned, there's enough gear in the game to let you focus on a specific playstyle, even if you get some gear that doesn't fit the mold.

I didn't think Elizabeth was creepy at all. She was effectively a Disney character, same arc and all. As for the story, I thought it was interesting, if a bit convoluted and with a few logic holes here and there. Way more interesting than any story I've seen in any other shooter.

Skylines and tears were gimmicks? Maybe, but they were gimmicks that added a lot of variety to the gameplay. A lot more variety than you'd see in other shooters.

As for the two-weapon thing, you're forgetting about vigors (even though you just called them guns). So, 2 guns + 8 vigors = 10 weapons at a time. And the game didn't have regenerating health. It had regenerating shields. And in 1999 Mode, those shields (fully upgraded) are good for about two hits.

I can understand your disappointment in B:I when viewed as a spiritual successor to SS2 but to call the game "typical" or generic is pretty absurd.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2013, 04:31.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2013, 18:40 Jerykk

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 16:21:
nin wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 13:37:
Dagnamit wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 13:15:
I didn't like Bioshock 1, and picked Infinite a couple weeks ago when the price was right. I was wrong to wait. It's outstanding. Pick it up. You'll get at least 12 hours of quality gameplay. The production is of such outstanding quality that its hard to fathom. On a beefy rig with settings maxed, I consider it the current pinnacle of art/graphics. A really great experience.

I was the opposite, as I still favored the original over Inf. But yeah, looking at Inf, it's a clear example of what a AAA game should look like. Extremely beautiful...

I remember I sent this to Blue, and he ran it, but I don't remember who original did it (sorry, original author!). But you might like this, as wallpaper... http://imgur.com/GwsecT6

I feel the same. Bioshock 1 was a clear step down from the System Shock games, but was nevertheless quite good. Bioshock Infinite was indistinguishable from any modern linear console shooter aside from its pretentious writing. It was a decent enough game, but pretty much nothing remains from its System Shock/Ultima Underworld heritage.

What? Can you even name one other (non-Bioshock) shooter that's like B:I? The vigors, the gear, the companion, the setting, the writing, the skylines, the tears... just because a game is linear doesn't automatically make it a CoD-clone. B:I did plenty of unique and interesting things, even if it wasn't as open-ended as the previous games.

If you like shooters, B:I is definitely worth picking up. Infinitely more interesting (see what I did there) than CoD, BF, Killzone, Crysis, Halo, etc.

54. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 19, 2013, 14:52 Jerykk

Thief was never the pinnacle of emergent gameplay, though. The ability to manually jump almost never allowed you to reach areas you weren't supposed to go. While AC-style traversal requires less skill than manual jumping, Thief isn't a platformer so does it really matter? As long as you can get where you want to go, that's good enough for me. As in the previous games, the level designers ultimately decide where you can and cannot go regardless of whether jumping is contextual.

And saying you can play Thief like CoD is really going overboard. Taking out isolated guards may be simple enough but I seriously doubt you'll be able to just run and gun, especially on the highest difficulty. People made the same criticisms about Blacklist before it came out and on the highest difficulty, running and gunning in that game just doesn't work.

You also say that the game focuses on taking out guards, which really isn't true at all. In most of the demos they've shown, the player sneaks past almost every guard.

The only real concern I have about the game is the AI, which is a bit spotty if hands-on reports are accurate. Hopefully that will be resolved before the game's release.

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
37. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 19, 2013, 14:42 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 01:31:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 23:19:
Will G-SYNC provide benefits to people already using 120+ Hz monitors?

No, because none of those monitors have the G-Sync tech in them. Want to use it? Buy a new monitor.

But is G-Sync even necessary if you have a 120 Hz monitor? I don't use V-Sync and I don't get tearing so would G-Sync even offer any advantages?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 19, 2013, 04:34 Jerykk

Rivals is capped at 30 FPS, even on PC. That alone makes it worth avoiding.  

52. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 19, 2013, 01:09 Jerykk

The problem with Thief4 is not only what they've showed so far, but also the attitude of the developers.
Does it reflect from any of the interviews they've done that they actually care about the Thief mentality?
Sure it will most likely turn out a good game since it's an AAA production.
But the problem is that it's not going to be a Thief game.. since it's an AAA production and catered for the majority.
The majority weren't Thief players by todays standards, so they can't make it Thief.

If you make a new IP, go ahead I won't complain and people won't complain. I'm sure people might even say "woah, this game has a nice mix of Dishonored and Ass.Creed with a Thief vibe to it.."
But if you take the Thief name and then make the changes they've showed and write things like that people will be pissed.

I'm not sure what makes you think it won't be a Thief game. It's still a first-person stealth game that focuses on stealing stuff. You still hide in shadows and try to avoid making noise as you sneak past guards and grab loot from their belts. Will combat be more viable in the new game? Probably, but that doesn't mean you have to fight. The devs have explicitly stated that you don't have to kill anyone. If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. Same applies to the new Focus mode. Don't like it? Don't use it. Stealth games have always been a matter of restraint. If you enjoy being stealthy, why would you play any other way?

It's just remarkably silly that people can take little things and completely blow them out of proportion. Yes, you can shoot guards in the head with an arrow. Guess what? You could do that in the previous games too. No, you can't jump anymore but if the demo is any indication, there will be plenty of contextual opportunities to get where you want to go. Yes, there's a new voice actor but he sounds pretty similar to the original VA and Garrett's character seems consistent with the original as well. Yes, there will be setpieces but they will most likely comprise maybe 1% of the entire game. Yes, melee takedowns are now a one-button affair via third-person cinematic (ala DX:HR), but this is Thief so you shouldn't be attacking anyone in the first place.

None of the changes they've made are enough to accuse the game of not being a Thief game. It's nothing like the changes made between the original R6 and the Vegas series or between SC: Chaos Theory and Conviction.

It's just dumbass game design. I'm sure it's much easier to not have jumping in your game, but if said game is about a character traversing a level without being seen, then NOT having it is fucking retarded. End of story.

Splinter Cell says otherwise. As I mentioned before, Blacklist doesn't have manual jumping but there are enough contextual actions in each level that you never really miss it. It's all a matter of level design.

EDIT: This new gameplay footage actually shows that traversal has more in common with Assassin's Creed than Splinter Cell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwa9-e10m8

Basically, you hold down a traversal button and Garrett will automatically climb, jump, mantle or vault over obstacles. It's still contextual but it seems pretty flexible and if AC is any indication, it works well enough for getting you where you want to go.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2013, 02:36.

News Comments > NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech
28. Re: NVIDIA G-SYNC Display Tech Oct 18, 2013, 23:19 Jerykk

Will G-SYNC provide benefits to people already using 120+ Hz monitors?  

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
46. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 09:52:
Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year

http://goo.gl/3Zn2cm

Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future

The GFWL service continues to operate as before, no interruptions and I know of no future interruptions. I use it almost daily and imho it works perfectly fine.

Whatever Steam users want that's perfectly fine with me. It's their choice of service and they shouldn't be burdened with an unneeded extra layer of DRM. Choice, to choose and not be forced.

Complimentary Steam activation, no thanks. Wink

That's just PR speak for "Yes, we are shutting down GFWL but please continue giving us money." If GFWL wasn't going to be shut down, publishers and developers wouldn't be removing it from their games.

44. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 04:54 Jerykk

Except reaching places you're not supposed to reach isn't really part of the PC mentality. The only reason it happened more often in older games is because they didn't have nearly as much testing as new games do. When Ion Storm made Deus Ex, they never intended for players to use sticky mines to climb up walls. When Dynamix made Tribes, they never intended for players to exploit a bug in the physics system and move at incredibly high speeds. Emergent gameplay, by its very nature, exists in spite of design. The Thief games, while having large, open-ended levels, were never really known for emergent gameplay. You were still mostly limited to going where the developers allowed you to go and doing what they allowed you to do.

The lack of manual jumping does not mean that Thief will be a completely linear and guided experience. The demo they showed at E3 had multiple ways to get into the castle and plenty of opportunities for verticality. Splinter Cell: Blacklist was very much the same way. No jumping but the levels were open-ended and there were enough contextual triggers available that you never felt limited.

I think people are just way too eager to dismiss the game based on very limited knowledge of it. Wait until the game actually comes out. Or better yet, wait until you actually play it. Remember DX:HR? Remember how people were shitting all over it when they heard about the one-button takedowns, the third-person camera cuts, the cover system, the object highlighting, the merging of the skills and augmentation systems, the XP awards for specific actions, etc? In spite of those things, DX:HR ended up being a pretty damn good game. I've heard fewer specific criticisms about Thief yet people act like it's going to be the worst game ever made.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
31. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 04:37 Jerykk

saluk wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 03:30:
Wonderful. And I mean that sarcastically. First I lose my save because GFWL is a pain in the ass. I was about halfway through, and played through most of the game again. Now, I'm all ready to mop up the end of the game, and poof. Saves invalidated. Never playing this game again. It's overrated to begin with.

I'm all for games not using GFWL, but retroactively breaking saves in games is one of the reasons why GFWL sucked in the first place, doing it to get gfwl patched out is just not cool.

You can fix your saves with a little bit of hex editing. See instructions here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698911&page=12

42. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 01:48 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 12:26:
I'm pretty sure the decision to remove jumping has nothing to do with consoles. Plenty of first-person console games have jumping. Hell, CoD, the epitome of consolitis, has jumping.

Nothing to do with consoles? Really? How many first-person PC games don't allow jumping? I think it was a combination of controller limitations, and the limited imaginations of designers making maps for millions of easily-confused console gamers. Hand-holding seems to be a pretty huge part of their design concept.

Rainbow Six? Ghost Recon? Two of the most hardcore PC games ever (before Vegas and Advanced Warfighter, that is) didn't have a jump button because jumping wasn't useful to the design of the game.

Being a PC game or console game has absolutely nothing to do with the inclusion of jumping. I'm not sure why Square removed jumping from the new Thief but one definite benefit (for them) is that it's much harder for players to break the game. You can no longer reach areas you aren't supposed to go, making life much easier for the level designers and artists. You have no idea how many collision bugs pop up when players can hop all over the place.

Make no mistake, I like jumping and emergent gameplay as much as anyone, but I'm not going to immediately dismiss a game simply because it doesn't have jumping. The Hitman games don't have jumping and they are great stealth games. The latest Splinter Cell game doesn't have jumping and it's very good. A stealth game without manual jumping is still perfectly viable.

13986 Comments. 700 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo