Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13820 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Jul 1, 2013, 23:19 Jerykk

GMG has been down for most of the day. They clearly weren't prepared for the sales-induced DDoS attacks.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 30, 2013, 16:59 Jerykk

Amazon's summer sale has started: Summer sale  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 29, 2013, 17:05 Jerykk

Sounds like the guy who reviewed LSL doesn't like adventure games in general. Not sure why Gamespot hired a guy who doesn't even like the genre to review the game.  

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video
9. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video Jun 28, 2013, 02:03 Jerykk

Looks like Mass Effect, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rogue Legacy Jun 28, 2013, 01:38 Jerykk

These days, rogue-likes are primarily defined by permadeath and mostly randomized content. FTL, Spelunky, Dungeons of Dredmor, Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, etc, would all fit under this definition.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 27, 2013, 02:03 Jerykk

The problem with Jennifer Hale is that you can instantly recognize her voice regardless of role. A good voice actor can play a multitude of roles with no one ever recognizing them. Troy Baker, for example. He's played Batman, Joker, Two-Face, Booker DeWitt, Joel, Tim Drake, Robin and many other roles and I had no idea he was behind any of them.  

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
28. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 26, 2013, 04:22 Jerykk

Golwar wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 21:25:
Creston wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:21:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:01:
The development budget for The Witcher 3 is supposed to be $15M, which is up there, plus $25M for marketing, pushing it into the tens of millions range.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62992246&postcount=1

I was unaware the dev budget was that high, but the marketing budget is bullshit (I don't doubt that they're spending it, but that's wasted money, like all marketing budgets in game development are. They are NEVER worth their expenditure. If CD Projekt really thinks it's going to sell an extra ~ 1 million copies because of marketing, they are sadly deluding themselves.)

Creston

That's what we all think. Among those who are generally well informed about games. We don't need advertisement.

But considering that those who spend the money on marketing, should be as suspicious as everyone else is about the efficiency of their investments, I'd wager that we are probably wrong.

This. Marketing does matter, much as we may not like it. Indie and lower budget games need less marketing because they need fewer sales to make a profit. Conversely, big-budget games require far more sales to make a profit. While there are definitely unnecessary expenses in AAA development (Hollywood voice actors, licensed soundtracks, worthless multiplayer modes that nobody plays, etc), the simple fact is that if you want to make a game with high production values, large scope and you want it to be finished within 5 years, you're going to need a lot of artists and designers. Witcher 1 and 2 sold decently enough but given the significantly budget of Witcher 3, 1 million sales isn't going to cut it.

Back on topic, I'd love it if the big publishers started making mid-budget games again. A traditional CRPG could easily be made for less than $5 million.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2013, 04:27.

News Comments > Indie Royale Spiral Groove Bundle
2. Re: Indie Royale Spiral Groove Bundle Jun 25, 2013, 23:28 Jerykk

Nice bundle. Sniper Elite alone is worth it. That said, they should probably change the name of these bundles. "Indie" isn't quite accurate anymore.  

News Comments > Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance
5. Re: Avellone: Kickstarter Inspiring Old School RPG Renaissance Jun 25, 2013, 12:27 Jerykk

It of course leads to the question: Why would you, as a developer? if you can get the 4 million bucks you need to make a game like this through Kickstarter, and then have the freedom to make what YOU want, why would you ever sign up with another fucking publisher? I understand that, for now, you need publishers if you want to make a 'triple-A' game (read: Game with Absurd Budget. I hereby nominate we start calling these things GABs), but for the smaller budget titles?

It depends on how much money you want to make the game. $4 million is about the limit for games on Kickstarter, so if you want to make a $10 million game, you'll likely need a publisher.

News Comments > Two More Atari Properties Sold
4. Re: Two More Atari Properties Sold Jun 24, 2013, 23:06 Jerykk

Would love to see another Desperados. That genre has only a handful of games and hasn't had any new entries in years.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Battling Through "Legal Hell"?
13. Re: Baldur's Gate III Battling Through Jun 24, 2013, 12:24 Jerykk

Soo... who's Beamdog again? Which RPG luminaries work there? What makes them qualified to make BG3? At this point, a third BG would be redundant anyway because Obsidian is making Project Eternity.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Eleven
4. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Ten Jun 23, 2013, 05:24 Jerykk

Titanfall is the Xbox One's killer app, at this point. Its use of cloud processing allows for competitive multiplayer that features the spectacular style of a single-player campaign, fills the world with A.I. ripe to mine for XP, and more ways to get through a multiplayer match than almost anything we've seen -- especially on a console.

How can Titanfall be the Xbone's killer app when it's going to be released on the X360 and PC as well..? Hell, they even give it the "Best PC Game" award. Also, comparing any game with jetpacks to Tribes shows a clear lack of understanding of how Tribes actually plays.

News Comments > Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2
26. Re: Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2 Jun 21, 2013, 04:41 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 11:10:
The real lingering and potential problem is Obsidian. I just hope Feargus, Chris's (cubed) and Darren know to be careful. Bethesda would do the same thing to Obsidian. Take them down and buy them cheap, if they get the chance.

If this meant that Obsidian would be in charge of all future Fallout games, it might not be such a bad thing after all..

News Comments > Deadpool Trailer
9. Re: Deadpool Trailer Jun 21, 2013, 00:07 Jerykk

This is probably going to be bad, especially given how little gameplay they've shown thus far. Also, I think everyone who worked on the game has already been laid off. Finally, Activision has a reputation for lousy licensed games that were obviously made on a tiny budget and unreasonable schedule.  

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Revealed
14. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Revealed Jun 20, 2013, 03:01 Jerykk

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:59:
"Due out in 2013 for PC, Mac, and Linux from Dennaton Games and Devolver Digital. "

So another game I won't be buying on GOG.

If you play games on a PC and you only use Linux... you must not be playing many games.

News Comments > Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2
8. Re: Bethesda Breaks Silence on Prey 2 Jun 19, 2013, 23:27 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is just regular PR bullshit. Bethesda has published plenty of crappy games. Rogue Warrior, BRINK, Hunted, WET, RAGE, etc. From what I've heard, Bethesda dropped Human Head because Human Head refused to be bought out. Apparently Bethesda likes to own all the studios they work with and will generally be uncooperative unless you agree to sell.  

News Comments > EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD
53. Re: EA's Frostbite 3 Engine and AMD Jun 19, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

ochentay4 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:17:
Gib007 wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:28:
As long as this doesn't mean "if you don't own an AMD card, it will run like utter crap", then it's fine. I guess those with AMD cards totally equivalent to an NVIDIA counterpart (nothing is ever 100% equivalent either way) would get a handful more FPS.
I've never played a game optimized for AMD cards that run like shit on Nvidia. I cant say the same for games optimized for NVIDIA cards. Cryostasis is the perfect example. And PhysX is the most stupid thing on earth. Phisics engines should be integrated on DirectX/OpenGL and be available for all cards, including shitty cards like INTEL.

Tomb Raider had performance and stability issues on Nvidia cards at launch, though those were eventually ironed out.

Anyway, I can't see them maintaining this policy for very long. The majority of PC gamers use Nvidia, so it doesn't really make any sense to screw them over. If your games run like ass on Nvidia at launch, most PC gamers simply won't buy your games at launch.

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
10. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 19, 2013, 01:34 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 15:38:
KS wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 11:21:
Can't watch it at work. Is there a "hard" mode where you can't kill anybody?

Just don't kill people?

I hate to sound like an old man, but back in my day we had to make our own challenges. Kill nobody, kill everybody, don't get seen, only use a paperclip and a roll of electrical tape, only use a 4 foot purple dildo, etc.

This. These days, the need to create your own challenges is even more prevalent, given how ridiculously easy most games are.

News Comments > Gunpoint Sales Figures
6. Re: Gunpoint Sales Figures Jun 19, 2013, 01:30 Jerykk

Good for him. Gunpoint is a great game, if a bit short. Definitely interested in his next game.  

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
46. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 17, 2013, 23:48 Jerykk

I completely agree that one-button takedowns are lame. But to me, the ease with which I can dispose of guards is completely irrelevant. If I'm fighting anyone, I've already failed. Whether or not the fight takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes doesn't matter because I'm already reloading my last save so I can avoid combat entirely.

But yeah, needing to get close to guards and aim your blackjack is definitely more satisfying than "Press A to takedown."

13820 Comments. 691 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo