Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14039 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 9, 2013, 05:04 Jerykk

|oR|jonvall wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 21:46:
How much freakin money has PayDay 2 raked in? Man...those guys must be swimming in cash at this point! good for them!

It's sold 1.58 million as of September, with 80% of that being digital (so presumably the bulk of sales are from the PC version). I wouldn't be surprised if they've sold 2+ million by the end of the year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers
10. Re: Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers Dec 9, 2013, 01:28 Jerykk

TheWitcher wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 22:22:
Wild Hunt does look great. But how will it play? That's my question.

I suspect it will play a lot like Witcher 2, though I've read they are making improvements to the combat.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 8, 2013, 21:21 Jerykk

There have been plenty of co-op games released as of late. They even added co-op to Dead Space and Resident Evil, for crying out loud. If anything, finding a game that's purely single-player is only becoming less common these days.  

News Comments > Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers
7. Re: Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers Dec 8, 2013, 21:02 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 18:53:
The Witcher 3 looks great. However, Thief looks terrible, especially after Dishonored set the bar so high. This looks like a B-project from a second rate studio, not the next major project from the developer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

What specifically looks so terrible about Thief? Also, the DX:HR team isn't working on it. They're working on the next DX game. Thief is being done by another team at the studio.

Here's some extended gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iX-X5yKzs

Nothing I've seen or read sounds particularly offensive to me. The game seems faithful to the series. It doesn't have superpowers like Dishonored but it's not supposed to be Dishonored. It's supposed to be Thief.

BTW: Before someone watches the footage I linked and freaks out about the instant takedown at 2:30, keep in mind that those takedowns consume Focus, a finite resource which is depleted through various actions and can only be replenished by using a rare pickup. Also, Focus is completely optional and can even be disabled via difficulty mods. There are also difficulty mods that disallow takedowns and Focus entirely, as well as triggering a fail state if you are detected or take any damage. So if you lack self-restraint, you can use these difficulty mods to force you to play stealthily.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 21:12.

News Comments > Titanfall Trailers
8. Re: Titanfall Trailers Dec 8, 2013, 20:58 Jerykk

The Strider is a light mech with low armor and firepower. If it didn't have superior speed and mobility, it would get completely destroyed by the stronger mechs.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $34 Million
26. Re: Star Citizen Hits $35 Million Dec 8, 2013, 20:56 Jerykk

Shouldn't this headline be "Star Citizen Hits $34 Million"? Because they haven't actually hit $35 million yet.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
11. Re: Evening Previews Dec 8, 2013, 02:29 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 22:18:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 17:35:
Many (most?) of the people criticizing the lack of manual jumping don't seem to be aware of the game's new traversal system. It's automated now, so if you run towards a ledge, Garrett will automatically jump when he reaches it.

You don't seem to be aware that we know exactly how it's going to work. We just don't like it. I don't want him to do anything automatically. Why is that so hard for some of you to get? Jumping may as well be a QTE. Just mash your "parkour" button when you are prompted to jump. This is a limitation imposed by console controllers. I don't want anything automated. I have 104 keys on my keyboard, and 9 more on my mouse. I want a fucking PC game.

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 16:27:
You can jump, it's only available though where it works.
Again... IOW, YOU CAN'T JUMP.

What utter nonsense. There are TONS of console games where you can manually jump. Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, God of War, DMC, Mario, Sonic, etc. This has nothing to do with controller limitations and everything to do with streamlining traversal to make it easier. Thief is not and has never been a platformer. It's a stealth game. Streamlining traversal in a stealth game does not necessarily ruin it because traversal was never the focus in the first place.

If the automated traversal system lets you go anywhere you'd be able to go with manual jumping, what exactly is the problem? Again, Thief is not Tomb Raider. The focus is on sneaking around and stealing stuff, not performing elaborate platforming maneuvers. Splinter Cell: Blacklist didn't have manual jumping and it's a great stealth game.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 02:40.

8. Re: Evening Previews Dec 7, 2013, 17:35 Jerykk

What HorrorScope said. Many (most?) of the people criticizing the lack of manual jumping don't seem to be aware of the game's new traversal system. It's automated now, so if you run towards a ledge, Garrett will automatically jump when he reaches it. Think Assassin's Creed. Same applies with mantling and such. From the footage I've seen, there's still as much verticality as the previous games. If the system is implemented well, there will never be a case where there's something you should be able to jump or mantle over but cannot. It's a matter of implementation.

And for those who argue that this new system will destroy any emergent gameplay, you may have a point. Except emergent gameplay has never been a staple of the series and the designers have always decided where you can and cannot go. If they don't want you reaching a certain area, they can just block it off with collision and no amount of manual jumping will change that.

The removal of jumping is a big change itself, but it's also a symptom of a bigger change, a change of the games core, becoming confrontational and combative.

That's a pretty huge leap of logic there. Will Garrett be more capable in combat? Probably, if you play on Easy. Max out the difficulty and turn on some of the difficulty mods (like the one that doesn't allow you to neutralize guards or fails you when you get detected) and hey, you now have a pure stealth experience that's even more challenging than the previous games.

Seriously, do some research before jumping to conclusions. It's like you didn't even read the article of this topic.

For the sake of convenience, here are the difficulty mods you can apply:

Classic Thief Mods
* Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
* No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
* Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
* No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.

Legendary Thief Mods
* Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
* No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
* It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
* Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
* Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.

Ultimate Thief Mods
* Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
* No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
* No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
* No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.

If the game was actually as combative and confrontational as you claim, most of these difficulty mods would break the game. I seriously doubt they'd implement anything that would break the game.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2013, 18:10.

4. Re: Evening Previews Dec 7, 2013, 05:27 Jerykk

People are seriously blowing the lack of manual jumping out of proportion. This isn't Quake or Tribes or even Deus Ex. Thief has never been the pinnacle of emergent gameplay and the ability to manually jump in the previous games almost never let you go anywhere the designers didn't want you to go.

If the new, automated traversal system lets you get where you need to go, the lack of manual jumping really doesn't matter.

Back on topic, the game's customizability is great. There are many different ways to approach stealth and the game's flexibility looks to accommodate all of them. It also seems like the game doesn't rely on UI, so turning it off doesn't make it unplayable.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Darkout
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Darkout Dec 5, 2013, 03:49 Jerykk

OldTimber wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 03:13:
Nice Trine rip with a sci-fi skin from what the screenshots show me.

It's not a Trine clone either. Cripes, all you have to do is read the press release clearly posted in yellow. It's a sandbox survival game. It's not like Trine or Rogue Legacy.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Darkout
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Darkout Dec 5, 2013, 03:10 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 19:43:
I have Rogue Legacy. It's the last sidescroller I'll need for a while.

Darkout and Rogue Legacy have nothing in common aside from the fact that they are both 2D. What you're saying is roughly equivalent to saying "This is the last first-person game I'll need for a while" or something equally silly. Camera perspective != genre.

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Dec 4, 2013, 00:55 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 07:30:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 18:49:
GO ON SALE ENEMY WITHIN.

That is all.
You can grab it for 30% off from GMG for a few more hours
http://blog.playfire.com/2013/11/getting-ready-for-black-friday.html

I'd wait until the 7th and then pick it up at Gamefly for $16 with this voucher: GFDDEC20

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2013, 03:29 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:08:
Terrible sales overall, pretty lamo nothing much worth picking up. Cept Wii U games, a bunch of good titles were dirt cheap. Gotta love that the same game for the other 'popular' consoles were/are 4x the price.

The quality of a sale is determined by the number of unprecedented discounts that were offered. There were a lot of unprecedented discounts in these sales, such as:

- $10 Shadow Warrior
- $15 Saints Row IV
- $20 Batman Arkham Origins
- $9 Stanley Parable
- $13 The Bureau
- $20 BF4
- $25 NFS: Rivals
- $20 CoH2
- $10 Deadpool
- $5 Don't Starve
- $4 Spelunky
- $10 Enslaved
- $10 Castlevania Lords of Shadow
- $5 Euro Truck Simulator 2
- $13 Metro Last Light
- $7.50 Far Cry 3
- $10 Godus
- $7.50 Skyrim
- $5 Dishonored

And that's just the ones I remember. Just because nothing you were interested went on sale doesn't mean the sales were terrible.

Speaking of unprecedented sales, Amazon is selling AC4 right now for $30.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2013, 03:36.

News Comments > On Sale
44. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2013, 03:50 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:55:
Quinn wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 10:59:
Moog wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 08:14:
nin wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 03:18:
Skyrim is the same way...they still want a minimum of $10 each for the two main DLCs...
If you have Vanilla Skyrim, can't you just buy the Legendary edition and, in effect, add all the DLC to your vanilla copy? Well, if the 75% off hadn't finished.

This. The next time I'm gonna hear an adult whine about the Skyrim DLC prices when the Legendary version is going away for 13 euros, I'm gonna shoot someone.
Lol, why would a person buy Legendary if they already have Skyrim? Then you have 2 Skyrim games and 1 Dlc. I'm new to Steam so I don't know all the rules but are you guys suggesting we can just give away the Skyrim from Legendary and keep the Dlc ?

Legendary Edition has all 3 DLC, not just 1. I assume that if you already own Skyrim, buying the Legendary Edition would just give you the DLC. That's how it works with most games that have GotY editions.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 2, 2013, 03:37 Jerykk

Panickd wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 10:29:
Once publishers began tying developer bonuses to Metacritic scores developers were bound to begin paying for good reviews. It's not like this hasn't been happening forever. Top reviewers get all kinds of perks from the companies that make the games. They rarely pay for the games they review. They get flown out to launch parties for big titles and new consoles by the companies that make them. All of that is just paying for reviews in a different way.

What? Developers have nothing to do with marketing (the department that handles relations with reviewers). That's all on the publisher's side. And I'm pretty sure most publishers don't explicitly bribe reviewers. That's way too risky in today's age. Instead, they offer more circuitous incentives like exclusive previews. There's a reason why Game Informer gets almost every world exclusive first look at new games. If you write for Game Informer, your reviews will be influenced by this. Your own success is directly tied to the success of Game Informer and Game Informer's success is tied the exclusives they get. If you give a bunch of low scores to high-profile games, the publishers of those games are less likely to give your publication more exclusives. This is why high-profile games almost always get at least an 8.

News Comments > Thief at 15
18. Re: Thief at 15 Dec 2, 2013, 03:26 Jerykk

I think people tend to exaggerate how bad Deadly Shadows was. Yes, the lack of rope arrows was disappointing but the Thief experience is comprised of more than just rope arrows. And yes, the levels were smaller to accommodate the limited memory of consoles but they were still pretty open-ended. Most importantly, the game still focused on stealing stuff and the game's sound and shadow mechanics remained faithful to the series. The game's style and tone were also faithful to the series, whether you liked the actual story or not.

Thief 2 is still the best in the series but Deadly Shadows was not a bad game.

Also, I'd say that Thief has been way more influential than MGS. MGS's stealth mechanics were extremely rudimentary. Stealth consisted of avoiding enemy vision cones and hiding behind cover. Since Thief's release, we've seen way more games copy Thief's stealth mechanics than MGS's stealth mechanics.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 03:10 Jerykk

Asmo wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 00:52:
Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:44:
"Skyrim was developed for the XBox first and foremost", really? What, because the UI was so retarded? You simply cannot claim that. Apart from the inv system, the game is an absolute jewel from the PC gamer point of view, since vanilla day one. Great visuals, great performance, great gameplay. Trust me, Skyrim is one of the few games out there that was built for the PC the moment the first brainstorm session marked it's conception.

Bullcrap.

FOV in vanilla is shocking, poor support for widescreen/surround, crappy textures etc designed for the limitations of the PS3 and XBox360.

There are 4 unofficial fix up patches which resolve most of the CTD issues (and aren't available to console users), and a number of mods which replace the junk in game textures etc with crisp clear HD ones. Completely replaced water system, weather effects etc.

I run the game with all these mods + max details + 6080x1200 surround resolution. This is only possible via mods (otherwise I'm stuck with a single monitor, shitty FOV etc). The game was not engineered for the PC because you can see the hard limits coded directly in to the game which ignore 90% of what a PC can actually do.

This. Skyrim was not a good port. Aside from the lousy UI, the port was poorly optimized and ran way worse than it should have (though they eventually improved this through patching). It also didn't support more than 2 gigs of RAM (this was eventually patched as well). All of BGS's games have lead on X360 since Oblivion. Todd Howard even stated as much during an interview.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 17:24 Jerykk

I don't know if Bethesda is capable of making good UI, PC or otherwise. Their only interest is making UI that looks cool, with little to no regard for speed or efficiency.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2013, 16:43 Jerykk

The character in question is clearly inspired by Lohan but that's not enough for her to win her case. As far as I know, they never explicitly use her name and the character doesn't look or sound exactly like her, so Lohan really doesn't really have any case here.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 16:17 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:49:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 14:48:
Far Cry 3 @ $7.50... I got to stop looking at the deals and start working through my backlog so I can take advantage of the deals.

I almost grabbed it, but it requires a Uplay account. Grabbed Serious Sam 3 yesterday for $3.99, though, and it's a blast. Run and gun fun.

Every first-party Ubisoft game requires Uplay. You'll be missing out on a lot of good games if you refuse to install it. Same with Origin.

14039 Comments. 702 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo