Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14039 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 15, 2013, 16:45 Jerykk

Those benchmarks were pretty useless. All synthetic and no comparisons to Windows benchmarks. People want to see if games run better on SteamOS than they do on Windows.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
3. Re: Sunday Interviews Dec 15, 2013, 16:41 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 15:36:
Let's just get Eternity out the door first, shall we? I am not a happy camper as it is when they're talking about adding more stretch goals this late in the development cycle. I think I'm done with KS at this point.

This late in development..? They probably haven't even hit alpha yet and the game probably isn't coming out for another year. Boggles the mind that people can complain when developers offer to make a game better. It's not like they are charging you extra. You reap all the benefits of increased funding without needing to spend another dime.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 06:45 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 05:17:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 03:22:
Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 15:44:
Good to see crappy game developers being axed. The bureau was a JOKE! A silly, stupid, dumb joke.

Now, if all this new simple indie crap stops ZERGING Steam by the fucking day, I'm a happy chap. Let the age of indie enthousiasm die out and I'm ecstatic (seriously, I havent seen so many SHIT pop up in the Steam store EVER! It's like I'm watching PC gaming as I loved it simply DIE without any of mu fellas seeing it)

PS: Last rant has nothing to do with The Bureau ofc.

Not sure if you realize but all that "indie crap" has been around for a while. It just hasn't been on Steam. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Choice has always been a strength of PC gaming. Why would you want to remove it?

I would've agreed with you if the main page of the Steam store wasn't being took over. Seriously, I check the store these days and I see nothing other than those dumb little simple indie games that lack the immersion I chose to be a PC gamer for. That's not all. You've seen the last sale? Normally I couldn't wait for the new batch of sales coming in every few hours. Now not anymore, because 80% of it is this crappy indie shit going from 8,- for 4,50.

I just don't like what I'm seeing. Too little big, inmersive titles coming out. Too much of the same, simple, unimpressive arcady shit coming out. Bah.

Choice is fine, as long as ignoring that side-scrolling childsplay bullshit doesn't mean I'm out of choice.

Big, immersive games have always been in the minority because they cost more money and take more time to make. The existence of indie games hasn't changed this at all. If a big, immersive game comes out, rest assured that it will be on Steam. So what's the problem? If Steam didn't have any indie games, it would only have 1-2 new games a month.

On a side note, your view of indie games is a bit antiquated. They are not all simplistic 2D platformers. There a growing number of 3D indie games with polished presentations, like Natural Selection 2 or Outlast or Amnesia or Rust or The Swapper. Even 2D side-scrollers like Starbound can have a lot of depth and variety. Gameplay is not defined by presentation and to automatically dismiss a game because of its camera perspective is woefully shortsighted.

News Comments > Legends of Persia Announced
8. Re: Legends of Persia Announced Dec 15, 2013, 03:27 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 04:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 19:53:
Quinn wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 19:40:
Doesn't look good either.

Wasted effort if you ask me. If I'd be a starting developer, I wouldn't invest money on an engine with graphics that of course won't impress anyone and animations that will cost more money than that they will get in return for awe. Instead, I'll hire some (freelance?) designers and make a 2D game with beautiful art and an awesome story with good dialogue and awesome "choice & con" stuff. Relatively cheap but very engaging stuff that involves the player's moral compass etc. Make a name of yourself in this way and make an awesome game with the profits.

I'm sick of all these forgettable, mediocre indie stuff. I'm an early bird, evidently, but there will be a time that the gaming community's warm welcome for new devs will turn into fanatic disdain. I think I'm already there -- the more of the lame indie stuff coming out, the more I'm getting pro-EA, -Activision, -Ubisoft, -Bethesda etc.

Blegh. Tired & drunk. Bye.

Nothing wrong with that. If you want fully immersive gameplay experiences there are only so many developers that can deliver that... Indy's most certainly can not. Unless you are having insane funding success on KS

I can't even tell you how much I want another game sort of like Mass Effect right now. For all that can be said about the trilogy, it was pretty damn epic to play and experience.

I like the more barebones RPG's like Project Eternity and Original Sin, but they tickle another itch.... there are so very very few good big RPG's coming up...

Hell yes, I still get vomit in my mouth when I think about how they ended Mass Effect (although I hear the Citadel DLC is some sort of medicine for that?) but the trilogy was just fantastic. The world sucked me in so far I just couldn't let it go in real life. I was at work, playing that stupid Mass Effect app that had some minor impact in the actual game itself just so I could remain in that wonderful world.

It's exactly what I mean, eRe4s3r. It's that experience like Mass Effect's and Dragon Age's that I miss so very much these days. And there are indeed so very very few good RPG's coming up. I'm putting my hopes up for The Witcher 3, of course, and even Dragon Age 3 after that last Alpha session I've seen. But that's all late 2014 stuff if we're lucky.... T_T

Very few good RPGs coming up? What? Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns: Berlin, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shroud of the Avatar, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 (maybe)... 2014 has plenty of potentially great RPGs coming out.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 03:22 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 15:44:
Good to see crappy game developers being axed. The bureau was a JOKE! A silly, stupid, dumb joke.

Now, if all this new simple indie crap stops ZERGING Steam by the fucking day, I'm a happy chap. Let the age of indie enthousiasm die out and I'm ecstatic (seriously, I havent seen so many SHIT pop up in the Steam store EVER! It's like I'm watching PC gaming as I loved it simply DIE without any of mu fellas seeing it)

PS: Last rant has nothing to do with The Bureau ofc.

Not sure if you realize but all that "indie crap" has been around for a while. It just hasn't been on Steam. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Choice has always been a strength of PC gaming. Why would you want to remove it?

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
17. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 15, 2013, 03:18 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 01:57:
I owned a PS1 at the time Metal Gear Solid came out. The voice acting was ridiculous. The sight cones were ridiculous. The characters were ridiculous. The character names were ridiculous. The story was beyond ridiculous - and I loved it all! It had that special something [ I don't know; the flair? The flavor? The charm? The whimsical yet serious poetic themes? ] Japanese developers infuse their games with that I have always been drawn to. I don't know if I still would like a Metal Gear game as much but it's nice to see games like this released on the PC nonetheless. There's room for everything in my book.

The first two MGS games were actually ported to PC, though the ports were pretty half-assed. MS published the first port and Konami the second. Why they haven't released the games on Steam is a mystery to all. In fact, why MS hasn't released most of their considerable PC library is a mystery.

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
10. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 14, 2013, 17:42 Jerykk

Revengeance is not a stealth game at all. It's a straight-up brawler.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
107. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 14, 2013, 07:28 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:41:
descender wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:22:
Health packs are a reward, both for surviving up to that point, and for exploration.

Regenerating health not only removes risk and tension from the game, but reward as well.

This has all been said better here.

I don't understand how having different tactical responses to a situation (which allows these situations to be created to challenge the player) is "dumber" than only having 2 responses to a situation (shoot this gun or... that gun).

Both are equally valid (what I found less valid was Fear letting you carry 10 health packs around at any given time.)

The downsides of health pickups is that you often backtrack for health, or you spend time creeping forward because you have 20 health, or you become addicting to quicksaving and quickloading. Two of those downsides are the exact opposite of fun, and one of those downsides kind of depends. I remember in one game, I think HL, I ended up getting to a boss with next to no health. Impossible to beat him like that. I had to go back to a prior load, which was a good ways back.

The upsides of regenerating health is that you can make characters more fragile, meaning you become less of a bullet sponge. Let's be honest here - in most FPS games your character is some invincible superhuman who is never really in much danger and who can take nearly infinitely more damage than anything you fight. With regenerating health, concepts like cover fire begin to make more sense, as it only takes a few bullets to kill you. It actually makes things more realistic, and to say it removes risk and tension from the game is idiotic. Risk and tension come from many areas. Regenerating health typically comes with vulnerability, and vulnerability adds tension.

Both have their place, and both can easily be argued as stupid and/or dumb. People just like arguing with what they are most familiar with.

Unless you get killed in one shot, regenerating health does effectively ruin tension. You take cover, you pop out, you shoot. If you get hit, you return to cover, wait until you finish healing, then rinse and repeat. You can literally get hit an infinite number of times as long as there's a sufficient delay between hits.

The reason why games like Operation Flashpoint and the original R6 were so intense was because they had high lethality AND no regenerating health. A single bullet could and likely would kill you. You can make characters as fragile as you want with a finite health system and unlike regenerating health, it will actually matter.

Also, there's nothing that requires save-scumming with a finite health system. The game could use a checkpoint system and finite health. If you choose to save-scum, that's your fault. The means through which you replenish health is a matter of implementation. Health pack placement is a level design issue and if you ever find yourself starting a boss fight with very little health, that's a level design issue. The vast majority of games place health packs and ammo right before boss fights anyway. Finite health sytems can also encourage aggressive play. If you take note of the locations of health packs, you can intelligently maneuver through a combat scenario while healing yourself. It promotes planning and tactics whereas regenerating health promotes turtling. Finally, most shooters with finite health do not make you basically invincible (at least, not if you play on the highest difficulty). For example, Bioshock Infinite on Normal difficulty is a joke but in 1999 Mode, it's a whole other ballgame. Same with Dead Space or pretty much any other modern shooter with finite health.

Regenerating health exists because it's easier for players and easier for designers. It's that simple.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 14, 2013, 04:42 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 17:42:
Lord Tea wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 08:52:
On a side note: The Beta is absolutely unplayable on my 2009 Dell laptop (i7 quad @ 1.6 GHz, Radeon HD5400, 4 Gb RAM), the fps is down to ~5, on lowest settings, 1680/1050. I doubt there will be a quantum leap in performance for the final version, so this game is going to need a pretty decent machine to run smoothly.

You aren't even close to minimum specs currently listed on Steam for the beta. "Processor: Dual Core 3.0GHz or equivalent processor "

Dual core 3.0GHz...jesus. They better get that toned down to at least 2.0. Absolutely ridiculous that an overhead turn based RPG would need a 3.0GHz processor at this point.

At my $15 backing, waiting for final release, and hope it's playable on my aging machine.

Optimization typically happens during beta, so I'm sure the final min specs will be lower.

That said, you should probably upgrade one of these days.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Screenshots?
14. Re: Alien Isolation Screenshots? Dec 14, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

This could be great if it focuses on survival horror and not on shoot-everything-that-moves.  

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 13, 2013, 03:51 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:24:
Can't wait for the Steam Winter Sale next week. I want Endless Space Gold edition so desperately.

From what I've read, it's going to be exactly the same as the Autumn Sale.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 03:50 Jerykk

I played a bit of NEO Scavenger a while back and while cool, it had some balancing issues. Basically, playing as a murderous thug was by far the easiest way to do anything. Not only do you get more loot while scavenging but you can easily destroy most enemies. I'm hoping they've done some balancing since then so other builds are equally viable.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack
7. Re: Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack Dec 13, 2013, 02:18 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 00:03:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 23:10:
I'd love to see them put out more substantial DLC rather than just skins and weapons. I think Bethesda learned from the Horse Armor debacle, whereas Square and Deep Silver seem content to put out trivial nonsense.
You'd probably like the Enter the Dominatrix and How The Saints Save Christmas DLC then. Those are the two DLC packs that include new missions and activities (more Genki, yay!).

Yeah, I have both and while they're definitely more substantial than the skins and weapons, they're nowhere near as substantial as Bethesda's DLC.

News Comments > Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack
5. Re: Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack Dec 12, 2013, 23:10 Jerykk

I'd love to see them put out more substantial DLC rather than just skins and weapons. I think Bethesda learned from the Horse Armor debacle, whereas Square and Deep Silver seem content to put out trivial nonsense.  

News Comments > Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved
13. Re: Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved Dec 12, 2013, 23:06 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:54:
I still don't understand why what Trowe did would affect Lowe staying at the company. That part has me baffled. If one of my coworkers did something illegal, why would I lose my job or be forced to resign?

I don't think he was fired or forced to resign. I think he voluntarily quit due to issues he had with Trowe and/or other members of the studio.

63. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 Jerykk

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 11:31:
Suppa7 wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 01:30:
>Can you give me one example of a FPS game that's been "dumbed down" ?

Halo series. Two weapon limit. Regenerating health. Limited game modes/levels compared to past PC fps games. Halo took games back a generation.

I just don't see it. a Two weapon limit is about realism not dumbing something down. no one can run around at full speed with an arsenal of huge weapons and ammo. strapped to their back.

But I like both kinds. There are other FPS games that have no 2 weapon limit and no regenerating health. I don't see where regenerating health is that much different than running over a "health kit" laying randomly in the middle of a hallway.

Its like you guys think every single FPS has to be exactly the same as this one game I played this one time back in 1997 or its "dumbed down".

The other guy mentioned rainbow six. could have a point there. I've never been a big player of the rainbow six games. I think I remember Vegas being more run and gun than strategy.

Halo didn't limit you to two weapons for the sake of realism (Halo obviously isn't realistic in any way). They did it to accommodate the limited number of buttons on a gamepad. Radial menus were not a thing back then so giving you more than two weapons would have made cycling between them a nuisance.

As for regenerating health, it sucks because it removes any significance from getting hit unless you're about to die. If you get hit, you know that you can just hide for a few seconds and bam, good as new. With finite health systems, every hit counts because you can only heal a finite amount and you don't know when you'll next get an opportunity to heal or for how much.

News Comments > Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered
32. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 12, 2013, 03:14 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 16:22:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 12:32:
This isn't a contract at all. You never signed anything. Your pledge amounts to nothing more than a donation made in good faith. There are no guarantees or legal obligations involved whatsoever.

It never ceases to amaze me when people think of Kickstarters as investments with some sort of guaranteed return.

Clearly you don't understand what constitutes a contract. A contract has nothing to do with money changing hands. What is a contract?

http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/contract-law/

So, yes, this is very much a contract. We already have the terms of the agreement established. Now they're talking about altering those terms. They can't do that without permission. And yes, we can expect a return. Because if they had no intent in fulfilling the agreement in the first place than that constitutes fraud. You really need to learn some legal fundamentals before commenting on this sort of thing.

Good luck winning your case in court. When you support a Kickstarter, you are donating money to support a goal (the goal being the creation of a product). You are not purchasing said product. If the product is offered, it is offered as a reward for your donation and not as a formal purchase. There's a reason why Kickstarter uses the term "pledge." Hell, even if you were officially pre-ordering a game, you'd be laughed out of the courts if you tried to sue a publisher or developer for "altering terms." Games are delayed, altered and canceled all the time. Welcome to the games industry.

So, again, if you think of Kickstarter as a site that lets you pre-order games, you're thinking about it incorrectly. There are no guarantees and you should only donate money with that being fully understood.

BTW, Kickstarters explicitly say "Estimated Delivery," if the lack of guarantees wasn't already obvious.

21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 12, 2013, 01:14 Jerykk

Hellbinder wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 00:53:
Highlander wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 22:10:
I think FPS games have been extremely dumbed down for 1)consoles and 2)average joe/jane gamer. I wonder if employing that 'old school' genre/style will influence any response from a new generation of gamers who don't care about what stuff was like 10-20 years ago.

Can't say I'm a CliffyB fan but I'll give him the chance to impress me and make me feel like returning to play that gametype again, because I came from that era of PC gaming where arenastyle games were new and fun. Will it be again?

Since I'm an experienced and older gamer maybe it's a good thing the games have been dumbed down, to keep par with my slowing reflexes!! Enjoy them while you can guys!

Can you give me one example of a FPS game that's been "dumbed down" ?

Seriously.. I cant think of a single way any FPS game I played has been dumbed down. because of consoles or otherwise. I would say because of consoles the storylines and details of the Single player portions have been vastly improved. On top of that there are still open world sandbox FPS's out there and many other types.

As someone who started playing FPS games rabidly in the 90's on my PC until now I just don't see it.

(I am also about 200 hours into playing BF4 on PC now and it is just as awesome as the first experience I had with BF 1942 and my Radeon 9700pro all those years ago)

Rainbow Six: Vegas and GRAW are two easy examples off the top of my head. They turned what used to be realistic, open-ended tactical shooters into linear, scripted, unrealistic shooters. Regenerating health, ammo/weapon crates, terrorist closets, invisibility suits, invincible squad members, smaller squads, no pre-mission planning, gimmicky set-pieces... those two series now have more in common with CoD than the original games.

Then there's the general absence of true twitch shooters due to the fact that they don't play well with gamepads. If Cliffy B can make worthy spiritual successor to UT, I'll be very happy.

24. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 11, 2013, 12:32 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 09:36:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 04:39:
So... what exactly is the problem here? If people are willing to give them more money to make the game even better, why is that bad? Sure, it will push the release back but if that results in a better game, is that really an issue?

Honestly, if you expect a Kickstarted game to meet its estimated release date, you haven't Kickstarted many games. Every single game I've Kickstarted has been delayed and in every case, this was to the benefit of the game. People complain about publishers pushing games out before they're ready and now they're complaining about crowd-funded games being delayed. Seems like developers just can't win.

You're talking about breaking a contract here, not a delay. There are potential legal repercussions here. You don't alter the deal after it's done. Only Darth Vader can do that. Pray he doesn't alter it further. If they're going to push the game back for this then I'm demanding a refund. Few things chafe me more than when people don't keep their word.

This isn't a contract at all. You never signed anything. Your pledge amounts to nothing more than a donation made in good faith. There are no guarantees or legal obligations involved whatsoever.

It never ceases to amaze me when people think of Kickstarters as investments with some sort of guaranteed return.

18. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 11, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

saluk wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 23:57:
Ceribaen wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 22:56:
Not a fan of the fact that they're setting up a poll though to open up more stretch goals.

Getting a Star Citizen feeling out of that... We'll just watch the next 6 months as they keep running a funding drive and adding stretch goals and not ever see a final product pushed out.

Not getting a Star Citizen feeling about it at all, but definitely not a fan of adding any more stuff at this point. It's nice that they opened it up to a poll first, but people are always going to vote yes on those kinds of thing. "Do you want us to make the game better? Yes/No"

So... what exactly is the problem here? If people are willing to give them more money to make the game even better, why is that bad? Sure, it will push the release back but if that results in a better game, is that really an issue?

Honestly, if you expect a Kickstarted game to meet its estimated release date, you haven't Kickstarted many games. Every single game I've Kickstarted has been delayed and in every case, this was to the benefit of the game. People complain about publishers pushing games out before they're ready and now they're complaining about crowd-funded games being delayed. Seems like developers just can't win.

14039 Comments. 702 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo