Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13930 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
46. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 09:52:
Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year

http://goo.gl/3Zn2cm

Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future

The GFWL service continues to operate as before, no interruptions and I know of no future interruptions. I use it almost daily and imho it works perfectly fine.

Whatever Steam users want that's perfectly fine with me. It's their choice of service and they shouldn't be burdened with an unneeded extra layer of DRM. Choice, to choose and not be forced.

Complimentary Steam activation, no thanks. Wink

That's just PR speak for "Yes, we are shutting down GFWL but please continue giving us money." If GFWL wasn't going to be shut down, publishers and developers wouldn't be removing it from their games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief Dropping XP System
44. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 04:54 Jerykk

Except reaching places you're not supposed to reach isn't really part of the PC mentality. The only reason it happened more often in older games is because they didn't have nearly as much testing as new games do. When Ion Storm made Deus Ex, they never intended for players to use sticky mines to climb up walls. When Dynamix made Tribes, they never intended for players to exploit a bug in the physics system and move at incredibly high speeds. Emergent gameplay, by its very nature, exists in spite of design. The Thief games, while having large, open-ended levels, were never really known for emergent gameplay. You were still mostly limited to going where the developers allowed you to go and doing what they allowed you to do.

The lack of manual jumping does not mean that Thief will be a completely linear and guided experience. The demo they showed at E3 had multiple ways to get into the castle and plenty of opportunities for verticality. Splinter Cell: Blacklist was very much the same way. No jumping but the levels were open-ended and there were enough contextual triggers available that you never felt limited.

I think people are just way too eager to dismiss the game based on very limited knowledge of it. Wait until the game actually comes out. Or better yet, wait until you actually play it. Remember DX:HR? Remember how people were shitting all over it when they heard about the one-button takedowns, the third-person camera cuts, the cover system, the object highlighting, the merging of the skills and augmentation systems, the XP awards for specific actions, etc? In spite of those things, DX:HR ended up being a pretty damn good game. I've heard fewer specific criticisms about Thief yet people act like it's going to be the worst game ever made.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
31. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 04:37 Jerykk

saluk wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 03:30:
Wonderful. And I mean that sarcastically. First I lose my save because GFWL is a pain in the ass. I was about halfway through, and played through most of the game again. Now, I'm all ready to mop up the end of the game, and poof. Saves invalidated. Never playing this game again. It's overrated to begin with.

I'm all for games not using GFWL, but retroactively breaking saves in games is one of the reasons why GFWL sucked in the first place, doing it to get gfwl patched out is just not cool.

You can fix your saves with a little bit of hex editing. See instructions here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698911&page=12

42. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 01:48 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 12:26:
I'm pretty sure the decision to remove jumping has nothing to do with consoles. Plenty of first-person console games have jumping. Hell, CoD, the epitome of consolitis, has jumping.

Nothing to do with consoles? Really? How many first-person PC games don't allow jumping? I think it was a combination of controller limitations, and the limited imaginations of designers making maps for millions of easily-confused console gamers. Hand-holding seems to be a pretty huge part of their design concept.

Rainbow Six? Ghost Recon? Two of the most hardcore PC games ever (before Vegas and Advanced Warfighter, that is) didn't have a jump button because jumping wasn't useful to the design of the game.

Being a PC game or console game has absolutely nothing to do with the inclusion of jumping. I'm not sure why Square removed jumping from the new Thief but one definite benefit (for them) is that it's much harder for players to break the game. You can no longer reach areas you aren't supposed to go, making life much easier for the level designers and artists. You have no idea how many collision bugs pop up when players can hop all over the place.

Make no mistake, I like jumping and emergent gameplay as much as anyone, but I'm not going to immediately dismiss a game simply because it doesn't have jumping. The Hitman games don't have jumping and they are great stealth games. The latest Splinter Cell game doesn't have jumping and it's very good. A stealth game without manual jumping is still perfectly viable.

News Comments > Anachronox on Steam
6. Re: Anachronox on Steam Oct 18, 2013, 01:40 Jerykk

It's weird that Square would sell off the Carmageddon IP but keep this one. The Carmageddon games were far more successful than Anachronox ever was. I'd love if Square would actually make a sequel to the game but I seriously doubt that's ever going to happen.  

18. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 17, 2013, 12:26 Jerykk

So I can see stupid console players trying to mantle up something and missing and alerting guards, or just hitting the jump button by accident, getting impatient after 5 minutes and saying this game sux.

Stupid consoles. Ruin everything for the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure the decision to remove jumping has nothing to do with consoles. Plenty of first-person console games have jumping. Hell, CoD, the epitome of consolitis, has jumping.

News Comments > The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed
9. Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed Oct 16, 2013, 04:46 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 00:11:
nin wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 12:21:
El Pit wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 09:44:
The third movie was not as good as its brilliant predecessors (especially Spider-Man 2), but still better than the mess the reboot is. So it would have been worth every penny to get Raimi on board for Spidey 4 (which was already in preproduction when the producers decided to reboot it altogether).

As bad as the reboot was, I still thought 3 was the worst - I nearly walked out of the theater when the Evil Tobey Dance Number started up.

But I agree, 2 was the best. I'd go so far as to say maybe the best super hero movie, at least until Dark Knight came along.

Totally agree. They tried to cram 2.5 movies worth of stuff into one movie and on top of that, the whole Venom and Black Suit Spidey story was way out of whack.

The black suit never made Peter Parker into an evil version of himself. The problem was that it made him too much Spiderman. So much so that even when he was sleeping, it would animate his body and take him out crime fighting.

In any case, they could have used that third movie just to wrap up the Goblin story-line and I think it would have been fine without 2 additional villains. One of which, no one cared about anyway. Sandman? Really?

If I recall correctly, Raimi really liked Sandman and wanted him to be the main antagonist. The only reason Venom was in the movie was because the studio demanded it. Based on how Raimi treated each character, his bias was pretty obvious.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Solstice Arena
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Solstice Arena Oct 16, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

To Zynga's credit, this isn't a flagrant ripoff of another game and it's actually pretty decent for a casual MOBA. I don't see it overthrowing LoL or DotA2 but it's better than Zynga's usual tripe.  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Oct 14, 2013, 16:22 Jerykk

Bulletstorm was just gears of war style console trash - lets face this. The whole game was just one giant one-off and the game mechanics were totally fucking unfinished compared to older games like UT2004.

Did you even play Bulletstorm? It played nothing like GoW and was a fresh and compelling game.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: DXHR Oct 14, 2013, 01:36 Jerykk

mag wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 22:37:
vrok wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 17:27:
Quboid wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 11:39:
It looks like more than just a patched up version, nothing wrong with charging a bit for it IMHO. Why do you think you're entitled to new boss fights, improved graphics and AI, or developer's commentary for free?
I don't give a crap about developer's commentary, and yes, everything else could just as well have been in patches, or even an expansion that also improved upon the base game if they really wanted to charge for the extra work done that they should've done in the first place.

You can call it entitlement if you want. I don't really care because you could use that argument for anything patch related. It's a completely meaningless argument. I'm simply voting with my wallet.

Boss fights sucked ass and were even outsourced. Giant Square Enix failure. They deserved to be done right.

AI was too stupid to deal with stealth and silencers. Making it a very boring style of play.

DX11 produced input lag for quite a lot of people so they were forced to play in DX9. Wasn't even fixed for Missing Link. DLC was more important than fixing the game.

I can deal with games and especially console game PC ports being unsupported, but charging for fixing this stuff is ridiculous. My reaction would be no less even if it cost less than a dollar.

Like every game made this decade, the input lag is fixed by disabling vsync in game and enabling it (and triple buffering) in your video card's drivers.

Or by buying a 120 Hz monitor and turning off V-Sync completely. If you somehow manage to get over 120 FPS even with everything maxed out, you can always cap your framerate at 120 or below (if you have an Nvidia card).

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 13, 2013, 21:45 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 17:49:
So, hey, is the director's cut worth it? I have DE:HR in my Steam back log, and was planning on playing it over xmas break or so. I only paid $5 for it, so is it worth it to pay $10 for the upgrade?

Watching this trailer shows most of the upgrades are for touchscreens like Vita or whatever. PC version won't have access to any of those.

The WiiU exclusive features are just gimmicky controller crap. The real improvements of the DC are improved boss fights, improved AI, improved balancing, improved graphics and the integration of the Missing Link DLC into the main campaign.

Also, I never really understood how people could claim that the boss fights ruined DX:HR. Approximately 0.5% of the game was boss fights, yet somehow that lousy 0.5% ruins the other 99.5%? It's about as absurd as claiming that new voice actors can completely ruin a game (claims made against Blacklist, Arkham Origins or the new Thief).

News Comments > The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed
5. Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Revealed Oct 13, 2013, 21:43 Jerykk

The third movie was pretty terrible and effectively ruined the series for most people. Also, Raimi and the actors only signed on for three movies. Trying to get them to renew their contracts wouldn't have been worth it considering the state of the series at that point.  

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer Oct 12, 2013, 05:29 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 03:50:
...free of distractive [...] combat.

Yes, because e.g. System Shock 2 had no combat, either. Right? Sorry, but (again): pass.

And the combat in SS2 was so great, right..? Oh wait, no, it was terrible. There's no point in having combat when it's terrible. The only way to make it not terrible is to reward player skill with empowerment and empowerment is the last thing you should give the player in a survival horror game.

News Comments > Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix This Month
2. Re: Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix This Month Oct 12, 2013, 02:27 Jerykk

Hopefully the DLC missions have more effort put into them than the base game's missions.  

News Comments > SOMA Revealed; Gameplay Trailer
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 02:26 Jerykk

FYI, Frictional has said that the content in this trailer isn't from the actual game. It was created to convey the mood and basic gameplay. The final game will have a different protagonist with a different voice actor.  

News Comments > Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month
12. Re: Enslaved: Odyssey for PCs This Month Oct 11, 2013, 05:01 Jerykk

Strange that the game would be coming out this month when there hasn't been any marketing of it whatsoever. You'd think that they would release a trailer or at least an official announcement. Doesn't give me high hopes for the quality of the port.  

News Comments > Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month
6. Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition Next Month Oct 8, 2013, 03:07 Jerykk

Glad to see more fighting games coming to PC, even if Injustice didn't get the best reviews.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements
23. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements Oct 8, 2013, 00:59 Jerykk

Nvidia is providing these specs. The recommended specs are what you'll need if you want to get 60+ FPS at 1080p+ with 8x SSAA. Of course, most players will just use FXAA and get 120+ FPS on a much more reasonable GPU.  

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
15. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 8, 2013, 00:55 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:25:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:24:
Pretty sure this is going to be a mobile spinoff, just like Deus Ex: The Fall.

Does SE do ANY mobile at all?

Yes, Deus Ex: The Fall was an iPad game. SE is pretty risk averse at the moment, given how much money they've lost over the past few years. I expect them to keep pumping out more mobile spinoffs since they are low risk. It's also the reason why the next LoK game will be a F2P multiplayer shooter instead of a proper single-player action adventure.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced
12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Follow-up Triad Wars Announced Oct 7, 2013, 23:24 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is going to be a mobile spinoff, just like Deus Ex: The Fall.  

13930 Comments. 697 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo