Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14039 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Trailer
12. Re: Thief Trailer Dec 19, 2013, 03:14 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 18:42:
Nuhauser wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 17:59:
As far as this game being similar to Dishonored is concerned, of course it is. This is the game that Dishonored is based on.
To an extent, but Thief is all about sneaking, whereas Dishonored also takes from the Deus Ex philosophy of multiple playstyles (Spector's comment that DX is a swiss army knife, Thief is a scalpel).

Eidos has taken the Thief property but instead of focusing on sneaking, they've added combat options because they don't want to punish people who don't want to play like a thief. In a game called Thief.

Beyond the gameplay, it's also remarkable how many similarities there are in the story. Evil baron, plague ravishing a city, now this character in the trailer who has Granny Rags written all over her. Some of that might come with the territory of setting a game in a Victorian-like city, but even so... They had some really interesting Thief-specific lore with the Hammers and the Keepers and so on, and it sounds like they've ditched most of it and come up with something way less interesting.

You act like they're turning this into CoD or something. Yes, combat is easier than it was in the previous games (if you play on Normal difficulty). That doesn't mean the game encourages combat over stealth. In fact, there are difficulty mods you can apply that trigger fail states if you take any damage or are even detected. If you want to be stealthy but lack the discipline to do so without arbitrary restrictions, those difficulty mods should make your day. You even get points for each mod you apply and these points are used to rank you on a global leaderboard. So no, the game is still very much focused on sneaking around and stealing stuff.

As for the story, you don't really know enough about it to make any judgment. Yes, both Dishonored and Thief have an old lady character, except the one in Thief seems a lot less senile/crazy than the one in Dishonored. The wise old lady archetype was not invented by Dishonored.

I know I would be much more optimistic about this game if it wasn't called Thief. That said, I felt the same way leading up to the release of the Syndicate redo and look how that turned out.

Syndicate was not a bad game in and of itself. It was actually a pretty good FPS. The problem was that the previous games weren't FPSes so calling it "Syndicate" was a poor choice. That's not a problem here. The new Thief is still a stealth game where you sneak around and steal stuff. It is not an FPS, a brawler, an RPG, an RTS, a kart racer or any other genre. It is a stealth game.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2013, 03:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Date & Specs
6. Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Date & Specs Dec 19, 2013, 03:05 Jerykk

Wonder if the port will be any good. Japanese devs haven't had a really good track record in that regard as of late.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 03:54 Jerykk

Multiplatform games really need to be excluded from these platform-specific awards. What's the point of even having a platform-specific award when 90% of the nominees are also on other platforms?

That said, at least a PC-exclusive won the PC award.

News Comments > On Sale
41. Re: On Sale Dec 18, 2013, 00:26 Jerykk

I think they let Revelations through because it used the Source engine or something.  

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
11. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 18, 2013, 00:17 Jerykk

One of the biggest problems Techland has is their sort of deluded sense to prioritize console over PC development. As a developer you can always scale back, things like graphic and physics for lesser hardware. It's much harder and more costly to scale up.

That's not really true at all. If you design a game for high-end PCs and then try to cram into 7 year old console, you'll run into quite a few problems (primarily memory). Sure, you can downres all the textures, lower the render resolution, remove a bunch of effects, etc, but then you end up with a game that looks like crap. It's much easier to build for the lowest common denominator since you know that more powerful hardware won't have any issues running the game. You can focus on making it look good on the lesser hardware and then making it look really good on high-end hardware.

Also, it's not just about the graphics. Less memory means you need smaller levels and fewer characters loaded at any given time too.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2013, 00:22.

News Comments > Overgrowth Early Access
1. Re: Overgrowth Early Access Dec 18, 2013, 00:11 Jerykk

Mechanically, this game looks great. The combat is probably the most impressive melee I've seen and the traversal looks like a lot of fun too. However, they seriously need to hire some more designers so they can actually finish the game. Right now it's just a sandbox with no real structure or purpose.  

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
48. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 17, 2013, 00:07 Jerykk

Where's Primalchrome when you need him? I want to show him that DayZ is the top-selling game on the Steam and that 3 of the 5 top-selling games are zombie-themed. Pretty impressive considering that zombies are supposedly going out of fashion and nobody cares about them anymore...  

News Comments > On Sale
39. Re: On Sale Dec 17, 2013, 00:01 Jerykk

I think you're exaggerating slightly when talking about the torrent of 2D platformers and MMOs. While those two genres are definitely well-represented on Steam, there are a lot of other genres that are too. Adventure games, puzzle games, racing games, pinball games, German agricultural simulators, schmups, strategy games, RPGs, etc. When I look at the 20 newest releases on Steam, I see one 2D platformer (with solid reviews) and no MMOs.

On a side note, Revelations didn't even have to go through Greenlight for whatever reason. Garry's Incident did, but to be fair, it at least looked like it had potential when it was on Greenlight. Nobody could have known that the final game would be a broken mess.

News Comments > Subnautica Announced
6. Re: Subnautica Announced Dec 16, 2013, 12:42 Jerykk

Weird, looks like they're using Unity to develop it. Seems odd considering that they spent years making their own engine for NS2. Maybe they're just using Unity for prototyping.  

News Comments > On Sale
36. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 05:46 Jerykk

Lots of indies however only make sidescrollers (platformers!) because the DO lack those things. I'm positive you said this yourself in a past discussion.

I may have said that making a 2D platformer is cheaper and easier than some other genres but I seriously doubt that indies only make 2D platformers because they have no other choice. Game development requires a serious investment of time and effort, even for games as relatively simplistic as a 2D platformer. Indie devs have no obligation to make games they don't want to make, so there's no reason for them to make a 2D platformer unless they actually want to.

And really, there are plenty of indies not making 2D platformers. Rust, Natural Selection 2, Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Wasteland 2, Geneforge, Avadon, Avernum, Eschalon, Strike Suit Zero, Nether, Sir You Are Being Hunted, Shadowrun Returns, The Novelist, Shelter, The Shivah, Gimbal, The Cat Lady, Zigfrak, Maia, Prison Architect, Planetary Annihilation, Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, State of Decay, Project Zomboid, Don't Starve, etc, etc. The indie scene has plenty of diversity.

I've been lambasted in different threads both here and on Steam forums for down-voting games that don't interest me, so yeah, it happens. I got lectured about how my downvotes on games are potentially keeping games off of Steam that other people may want to see on there on this very site on more than one occasion. I don't care, mind you; I'm just pointing it out to illustrate that people do use the voting like a charity system.

That doesn't really convey a sense of charity to me. It conveys the sense that people don't like it when you keep the games they want to play off of Steam. If people were downvoting games I wanted to play, I'd be irritated as well. Charity is when you upvote a game that you have no interest in playing simply because you want to be nice. Nobody is asking you to do that. They're simply asking you not to downvote games that they want to play. That's the key difference. It's like the difference between ignoring someone you dislike or punching them in the face.

You can't assume that just because you have no interest in a game, nobody else does either.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 05:51.

News Comments > On Sale
34. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 01:56 Jerykk

But I would like to see a small new developer make one or 2 successful 2D platfromers, then with their profits branch out into the more expensive and challenging types of games instead of continually pumping out more 2D platfromers.

But if developers like making 2D platformers, why should they change? That's like saying Bioware, Bethesda, Obsidian and CD Projekt RED should stop making RPGs because that's all they do.

If you make the game you want to make and people enjoy it, what's the problem? People who don't like your games don't have to buy them.

Thats what the Greenlight thing was supposed to be for. Unfortunately people treat it like sort of a charity - basically up-voting everything because they want to help out all of the fledgling game makers.

I don't think that's entirely true. I think people vote for the games they are genuinely interested in seeing come to Steam. Granted, this interest may be relatively light but I don't think anyone votes for a game out of a sense of charity.

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Dec 16, 2013, 01:22 Jerykk

I agree that there should definitely be some form of quality control, not just for indie games but for all games. The problem is that quality is often a subjective notion. Burrito may think Teslagrad is a generic piece of crap but for people who actually enjoy 2D puzzle platformers, it's a solid game (based on the reviews and forum feedback I've read).

The only objective measure of quality is stability. Does the game run? Do all the features function as intended? Any other criteria is subjective. A game doesn't need to have a AAA presentation in order to be an entertaining game (Starbound's popularity is a good example of that).

If you dislike 2D side-scrollers, the best thing you can do is simply not buy them. If enough people stop buying them, developers will stop making them. However, the fact that developers continue to make them shows that people do buy them and that wouldn't happen if there was no interest. You, Quinn and Burrito are the vocal minority in this particular case.

There are several prevalent genres that I don't care for (like MMOs, dungeon crawlers, 4X strategy and farming/transportation simulators). There are tons of these games on Steam and many of them are poorly reviewed. That doesn't mean that those genres should be banned from Steam. Only the ones that are clearly broken (like Sword of the Stars 2 was at launch) shouldn't be allowed on Steam until they are fully functional.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2013, 01:31.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2013, 01:05 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 00:50:
@ everyone who replied:

No, obviously I understand why they're charging more for the beta access. They have to match it to what it cost in the Kickstarter.

It's just that once the game is complete, I don't think it'd be wise to try to sell (most of) the Kickstarted games for $60. Again, they have already made back most, if not all, of their money. What they need now is to try to get people interested in their games so that those people will hopefully support next time.

You don't do that by trying to sell a budget game (which, let's be honest, is what the large majority of Kickstarted games are) for $60.

Let's leave the greed to the idiot publishers, and let's try to get more people interested in non-AAA development.

Ideally, Wasteland 2 will be profitable enough for inXile to fund future games without resorting to Kickstarter. Kickstarting a game is very much like pitching a game to a publisher, only instead of trying to convince suits, you're trying to convince gamers. Either way, you're still wasting a lot of time and resources trying to convince people to give you money. If Wasteland 2 is profitable enough, they won't have to do that anymore. It's not about greed. It's about creative freedom and self-sustainability.

News Comments > On Sale
30. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 23:29 Jerykk

Are you genuinely reading what I am saying or are you just knee jerk reacting to people who criticize any 2D game, of which there are several genres, because you're a 2D platformer fanboy who has to white knight that particular genre?

I'm genuinely reading what you're saying and based on that, I assume that you don't like 2D platformers. Everything you've said supports that assumption.

Also, stop changing your tune. You specifically pointed out there were AAA titles available leading up to Christmas releases, which I countered with your own list. Then you backpedal really hard and say "Well, publishers have learned to spread release dates." Honestly, no they haven't.

Wrong. Read post #22 again. The second to last sentence is "Publishers and developers have finally realized that releasing all their games at the same time is a bad idea, hence the reason why the releases are more spread out now." That sentence was written before you tried to counter my list. Are you genuinely reading what I'm saying?

Publishers don't give a fuck about the spread if there's more money to be made in one quarter rather than three others.

Oh, right. So publishers don't care about competition at all. My bad. I guess it would be perfectly reasonable for Ubisoft to release Splinter Cell: Blacklist in the same month that BF4 and CoD: Ghosts are released. Oh wait, that's not how it works at all. Publishers put a considerable amount of thought into release dates and will always try to release games when they think they'll get the most attention. A major reason why BF4 was broken at launch was because EA wanted to release the game before CoD: Ghosts. Also notice how, aside from Rome 2, there were no major releases in September? That's because every publisher knew that GTA5 would take everyone's money and attention in September. The only reason Sega released Rome 2 in the same month was because there's little to no overlap in the audiences for those two games (console open-world action game vs PC historical strategy game).

You also ignored the fact that it is that dearth of titles that is leading Steam to currently plaster shitty, cheaply done "indie" games wall to wall as their only way to generate new revenue, outside of deeply discounting 2+ year old games or games that were very badly received.

Let's take a look at last weeks' top-selling games on Steam:

Starbound
Rust
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition
Wasteland 2
Final Fantasy VIII
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
L.A. Noire
7 Days to Die
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
The Walking Dead Season 2

Let's see... how many 2D platformers are on there... oh, there's one. And calling Starbound a platformer is a bit of a disservice, considering that the gameplay involves way more than just platforming. Starbound has also received lots of critical acclaim, so it obviously isn't shitty or cheaply done. The only indie game on the list that might meet those requirements is 7 Days to Die.

Also, the reason why we're seeing more indie games on Steam is because people were complaining that Greenlight was too hard to get through. In response, Valve started accepting games more often and in larger numbers. You act like Valve is desperately trying to stay afloat by milking indie games when reality says otherwise.

As for 2D games that I enjoy, sure, Legends of Grimrock is a 2D game. Moving sprites to simulate 3D doesn't make it so. Since you seem to have a particular hard-on for platformers, I have enjoyed Gravity Guy and Jetpack Joyride.

That's not what I asked. I asked if you like any 2D platformers. Grimrock is a first-person, party-based dungeon crawler. Gravity Guy and Jetpack Joyride are endless runners (that you only play when absolutely bored and have nothing else to do).

So, again, do you like 2D platformers? Examples include Super Meat Boy, Fez, Braid, Teslagrad, Dustforce, etc. If you can't list even one 2D platformer that you enjoy, then my assumption that you don't like 2D platformers is entirely justified. Your dislike of 2D platformers is the reason why you think they are all generic and crappy. See post #29 for further explanation.

That said, I am genuinely surprised that you downloaded the demo of Teslagrad, especially considering your obvious disdain for the genre. Did you download the demo only after I asked you to explain its mechanics? Or did you just watch the trailer? Be honest.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 23:42.

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 22:56 Jerykk

When you have no interest in a genre, it becomes all too easy to simply dismiss all of its games as one and the same. I have no interest in MMOs and I'm often guilty of that, even though I know that there are differences in their respective mechanics and systems. The problem is that I don't care about those differences because I dislike the genre as a whole. Any nuance is irrelevant to me because I find the genre inherently unappealing.

That said, "2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre. It's a camera perspective, just like first-person, top-down or isometric. Clumping all 2D side-scrollers together is equivalent to saying all first-person games are the same. If you had no interest in first-person games, then you probably would think that Shadow Warrior and Sanctum are the same. In fact, you'd probably go so far as to call them both Doom clones. Sounds ludicrous to anyone who actually plays first-person shooters but if you hated the perspective and didn't actually play any first-person games, it would seem like a perfectly reasonable statement.

The best solution is to simply admit that you don't like the perspective and leave it at that. Trying to defend your taste by making overly generalized and mostly inaccurate statements doesn't really help your argument.

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 21:25 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 18:46:
I don't mind being a loner, but it does feel good to see someone who gets my point.

And Jerykk, obviously you're a guy who can get excited with "2D platformers". I also rememer your ecstatic words about Mark of the Ninja. That's all fine, of course, but to me it leaves me as cold as ice. I play games for two reasons: Gameplay & Story. If either or both of those two fail, my goal for playing the game cannot be achieved: Immersion. You can talk about different mechanisms or what not, but the "indie crap" I'm referring to can't -- in any way! -- give immersion. It's arcadey like that. I'd enjoy that shit in an arcade hall after I've had a few beers with my manly friends.

About the AAA titles you mentioned: Except for Black Flag I've finished those I care for and they've been somewhat forgettable. But this or that, the reason I'm now making this noise is because *something* changed. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and The Witcher... Where the fuck are they? There's 2 with such potential coming in late 2014. Two. This Steam christmas sale will be zerged with that "2D platformer" crap, I tell you, and then some old shit we could've gotten in the sale of 2012. That's my alarmbell ringing. That's why I'm expressing my unsatisfaction. Although the 2 causes don't necessarily correlate, AAA titles gave way to crappy platformers and I don't like this development I'm seeing.

Firstly, a game can achieve immersion through gameplay alone. Slick graphics and engaging writing are not always necessary, though they obviously help. If you find a gameplay mechanic compelling, you will be immersed while using it regardless of the game's story or presentation.

Secondly, games like ME, DA and the Witcher take a long time to make. They are huge RPGs with high production values. Games like that take years to develop. If you're expecting them to be released every year, you'll be in for a disappointment (as this thread has already proven). There's no "giving way" involved. Just realities of game development. Indie games have always been around and they've always vastly outnumbered big-budget RPGs. Always. The growing presence of indie games on Steam only makes this fact more apparent. Even if there were fewer indie games on Steam, there wouldn't suddenly be more big-budget RPGs. There is absolutely no correlation between the two.

What this ultimately boils down to is people complaining about the existence of a genre they don't like. When 2D platformers weren't as prominent on Steam, you could pretend they didn't exist. Now you can't. Nothing has actually changed in the industry. 2D platformers were always there. But now you have to see them whenever you use Steam and that annoys you.

On a side note, it seems like presentation is more important to you than either gameplay or story. That's the only reason I can think of as to why you'd neglect to mention Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns: Berlin, Shroud of the Avatar, etc, in your list of anticipated RPGs. All of them have the potential to be fantastic RPGs with deep gameplay and engaging stories but because they don't have AAA graphics, they apparently don't count.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:38.

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 21:10 Jerykk

No, I'm not. You're assuming I've made assumptions. Once more, try again.

Really? Okay, let's look at some of the things you've said. In the Teslagrad thread, you said: "
"Teslagrad is a 2D puzzle platformer..."

Yawn. You and 900 other releases this year. Saturated market.
" Have you even played Teslagrad? Do you know anything about it other than the fact that it's a 2D puzzle platformer?

Then in this thread, you said: "People who put in a raft of top shelf parts didn't do so because they want to play yet another 2D side scroller with shitty graphics and shitty audio because some cheap jackass "developer" wants to jerk off to the "glory" days of 8 bit hardware." That seems like you're dismissing all 2D platformers as shit.

Then you listed the indie games you liked: "Kerbal Space Program, Legend of Grimrock, Lunar Flight and Artemis Space Bridge Simulator (which I grant is a VERY niche title) are all excellent examples of indie games that can and do get it right." Note that none of those are 2D platformers.

Are there any 2D platformers you actually enjoy? Please list a few if that's the case. If not, my assumptions remain quite valid.

Three titles disqualified right off the bat. Seven titles released during months wherein not even stores are yet pimping Christmas shit. That leaves three whole AAA titles released during the Christmas shopping season. One of which has a reputation so bad that even diehard X veterans aren't buying it! Thank you so very much for going out of your way to list titles that support my statement.

As I said before, publishers and developers have learned to space out their releases better. Pumping them all out in November means more competition and less attention given to any one title. That's why we're seeing releases spaced out over the months (as opposed to single month) leading up to Christmas. Also, how exactly are you defining AAA status? Budget? Hype? Presentation? You exclude Walking Dead Season 2, even though Season 1 sold over 21 million episodes and received GotY from many media outlets. Apparently that's not enough to qualify as AAA?

Finally, as I mentioned before, the supposed dearth of AAA games has absolutely nothing to do with indie games. At all. Publishers don't think "Oh, well, there sure are a lot of indie games being released on Steam these days so let's not release anything in December!" There's no correlation between the two so I'm not sure why you act like indies are to blame for publisher decisions.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:26.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access
15. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access Dec 15, 2013, 20:52 Jerykk

Angrius Maximis wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 11:48:
SO far this game is getting piss poor reception. Ill pass even in "beta" its terribad

Usually I'd ask about your sources but looking at your post history tells me everything I need to know.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 17:11 Jerykk

So what it basically boils down to is "I don't like 2D platformers." That's fine but that doesn't mean people should stop making them. The industry doesn't revolve around you and there's obviously an audience for 2D platformers, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing so many.

Also, you're making a whole bunch of assumptions about Teslagrad based solely on the fact that it's a 2D platformer. 2D platformers can in fact have different gameplay mechanics. Braid has different mechanics than Fez which has different mechanics than Vessel which has different mechanics than Super Meat Boy which has different mechanics than Teslagrad.

As for the lack of AAA games leading up to Christmas, that's not really true. We have Assassin's Creed 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Saints Row IV, GTA5, BF4, CoD: Ghosts, NFS: Rivals, Rome 2, XCOM: Enemy Within, The Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 2, X: Rebirth, etc. Publishers and developers have finally realized that releasing all their games at the same time is a bad idea, hence the reason why the releases are more spread out now. This has absolutely nothing to do with indie games in any way.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 16:51 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 16:33:
Linksil wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 14:49:
$60 is the normal cost for a game these days, just get over it.

That's for games that still need to make all their money back. These games have already made their money back before they were even made. Why do they need to be sold at $60?

Most Kickstarter games (if I didn't back), I'll pay 20 or 30 bucks for, and that's it.

It's being sold at $60 because the equivalent Kickstarter reward costs $50. Charging the same or less would make backers feel bad. When the final game is released on Steam, it will probably be $30-40 for the most basic package (the equivalent Kickstarter reward was $15).

Also, charging $60 ensures that only serious people buy the beta. The last thing inXile wants is a bunch of idiots thinking the beta is the final game and then complaining that it's buggy and unfinished. They want people who understand what a beta is and want to make the final game better through constructive feedback and bug reports.

14039 Comments. 702 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo