Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13984 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief at 15
18. Re: Thief at 15 Dec 2, 2013, 03:26 Jerykk

I think people tend to exaggerate how bad Deadly Shadows was. Yes, the lack of rope arrows was disappointing but the Thief experience is comprised of more than just rope arrows. And yes, the levels were smaller to accommodate the limited memory of consoles but they were still pretty open-ended. Most importantly, the game still focused on stealing stuff and the game's sound and shadow mechanics remained faithful to the series. The game's style and tone were also faithful to the series, whether you liked the actual story or not.

Thief 2 is still the best in the series but Deadly Shadows was not a bad game.

Also, I'd say that Thief has been way more influential than MGS. MGS's stealth mechanics were extremely rudimentary. Stealth consisted of avoiding enemy vision cones and hiding behind cover. Since Thief's release, we've seen way more games copy Thief's stealth mechanics than MGS's stealth mechanics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2013, 03:10 Jerykk

Asmo wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 00:52:
Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 17:44:
"Skyrim was developed for the XBox first and foremost", really? What, because the UI was so retarded? You simply cannot claim that. Apart from the inv system, the game is an absolute jewel from the PC gamer point of view, since vanilla day one. Great visuals, great performance, great gameplay. Trust me, Skyrim is one of the few games out there that was built for the PC the moment the first brainstorm session marked it's conception.

Bullcrap.

FOV in vanilla is shocking, poor support for widescreen/surround, crappy textures etc designed for the limitations of the PS3 and XBox360.

There are 4 unofficial fix up patches which resolve most of the CTD issues (and aren't available to console users), and a number of mods which replace the junk in game textures etc with crisp clear HD ones. Completely replaced water system, weather effects etc.

I run the game with all these mods + max details + 6080x1200 surround resolution. This is only possible via mods (otherwise I'm stuck with a single monitor, shitty FOV etc). The game was not engineered for the PC because you can see the hard limits coded directly in to the game which ignore 90% of what a PC can actually do.

This. Skyrim was not a good port. Aside from the lousy UI, the port was poorly optimized and ran way worse than it should have (though they eventually improved this through patching). It also didn't support more than 2 gigs of RAM (this was eventually patched as well). All of BGS's games have lead on X360 since Oblivion. Todd Howard even stated as much during an interview.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 17:24 Jerykk

I don't know if Bethesda is capable of making good UI, PC or otherwise. Their only interest is making UI that looks cool, with little to no regard for speed or efficiency.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2013, 16:43 Jerykk

The character in question is clearly inspired by Lohan but that's not enough for her to win her case. As far as I know, they never explicitly use her name and the character doesn't look or sound exactly like her, so Lohan really doesn't really have any case here.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2013, 16:17 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:49:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 14:48:
Far Cry 3 @ $7.50... I got to stop looking at the deals and start working through my backlog so I can take advantage of the deals.

I almost grabbed it, but it requires a Uplay account. Grabbed Serious Sam 3 yesterday for $3.99, though, and it's a blast. Run and gun fun.

Every first-party Ubisoft game requires Uplay. You'll be missing out on a lot of good games if you refuse to install it. Same with Origin.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
91. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 29, 2013, 04:24 Jerykk

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:17:
Lol, i find that pretty unbelievable. Possible, maybe, but pretty unbelievable. Even with a mature and engaged audience.

Also, checked out facebook hype, Wing Commander has 6859 likes, this game (or at least a fan interest group/whatever) came up on "star citizen" search, about 122 likes. Facebook may not be their venue either, but come on, thats just ridiculously low.

I'm not sure why you keep using Facebook as a metric for this. How many hardcore space sim players have Facebook pages? Hell, how many non-teenagers have Facebook pages? What you should be using as a metric is the number of backers listed on the RSI site.

News Comments > On Sale
54. Re: On Sale Nov 29, 2013, 00:30 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 22:01:
Hey, anyone play Outlast? It looks like a different style of game, but how does it compare to Amnesia?

Outlast is pretty good, though once you figure out the mechanics, enemy encounters become far less scary. Though, the same could be said for Amnesia. Like Amnesia, your only defense against enemies is to run away and hide so the two games are similar in that regard. Outlast definitely has a better presentation than Amnesia and the camcorder mechanic works really well.

If you like survival horror, Outlast is definitely worth picking up.

Other unrelated recommendations are Splinter Cell Blacklist for $24 at Gamefly and Dishonored GOTY for $11 also at Gamefly. Blacklist is criminally overlooked considering it is the second best Splinter Cell game (behind Chaos Theory). And that's coming from a jaded stealth junkie who has played all the SC games and hated Conviction.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2013, 00:35.

45. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 02:53 Jerykk

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 02:47:
Seriouslly $33 million? I just dont understand how this is possible, I'm sorry, but this means that if 2-3 million people contributed, (For comparison , thats how many people who are on steam at a time), thats $10-$15 each. Way, way more than people usually contribute to these kinds of things, and with Star citizen, I just cant see the hype anywhere (except at SCs websites etc.) Look at twitter, for instance, The developers official account (@robertspaceind) has 13000 followers. When searching for "star citizen" on twitter, I find a couple of headlines about how much they've raised, and one tweet from one of the devs. He has 121 followers. The first tweet that actually showed up was a tweet unrelated to the game, 3 hours ago..

Ok, so maybe twitter isnt their main marketing channel, but if millions of people INVESTED real money in this game, why wouldnt most of them follow the devs on twitter? Why wouldnt more tweeters talk about it?

This makes no sense. The internet should be buzzing with excitement for this game, and I just dont see it.

As of this writing, there are 317,246 backers. That means the average backer is giving about $100, which isn't that unbelievable when you look at the rewards for backing at that level. The space sim audience is a passionate (and older) one, likely with expendable income.

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
30. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 28, 2013, 02:51 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:57:
nin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:08:
I want DR2:OTR fixed, dammit!

To say that it should be fixed implies that it's broken somehow and nothing could further from the truth. GFWL work perfectly in both DR2 & DR2:OTR, there are 50 achievements in each game and I have 35 achievements in each. Trust me, it works. Wink

death of Games for Windows LIVE

uh huh.. Nice

You've obviously never tried moving your GFWL saves from one PC to another. GFWL brilliantly links your saves to your GFWL account and encrypts them with a unique key that's regenerated whenever you install GFWL. So, even if you manage to find and copy your saves over, they won't work with the new installation of GFWL. It's great stuff, really.

And on top of that, GFWL is bloated, slow and unintuitive. Why do I need to use an online profile to buy and play DLC? Why do I have to login to GFWL every time I launch a game? Why is my GFWL account the same as my Windows Live account, which is notorious for becoming inaccessible whenever MS randomly resets your password?

I find it remarkable that you constantly criticize Steam yet praise GFWL. At least be consistent.

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
36. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 28, 2013, 02:43 Jerykk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 23:05:
This is a disaster waiting to happen, destined to be rife with abuse. Games on Steam are released in an unfinished state, alphas, betas, broken mechanic. Negative reviews will be created by the hundreds, devs/pubs will remove said negative reviews, gamers will rally, protest and lead boycotts of said game. All within the Steam service.

Steam forums are rife with stupidity, boneheads and fanboys. Now you'll get to read their reviews. Wonderful. Thumbsup

Not sure if you're aware of this but the store page of every game on Steam shows its Metacritic score. If you click on said score, you are taken to the Metacritic page where you can view the User Scores as well. So, if publishers were concerned about negative reviews, wouldn't they have demanded that Steam remove the Metacritic score from the store?

News Comments > Steam Reviews Open Beta
35. Re: Steam Reviews Open Beta Nov 28, 2013, 02:39 Jerykk

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 03:31:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 14:26:
How the fuck anyone with any hint of what makes a good FPS can give Shadow warrior 2013 a fucking 74 (aka bad game) is pretty braindead.

Uh, Shadow Warrior 2013 was a pretty boring game! The same enemies in only marginal different arenas all over again until the end. The same goes for the bosses, everyone defeatable with the same trick. Maybe there is a minority who still loves something like this, but even the yearly CoD games are more interesting with their linear showpieces...

I thought the combat in SW was tremendously enjoyable. Slicing enemies up with the sword never got old. I also played on the highest difficulty. I imagine that playing on Normal is far less interesting, as the enemies would basically just be cannon fodder.

And no, you can't defeat all the enemies with the same trick. Unlike CoD, most of the enemies in SW require different tactics to dispatch. Using melee on a regular grunt works fine and dandy but using it on the exploding dudes is a bad idea. When you play on the highest difficulty, you also have to make intelligent use of most of your powers, otherwise you get overwhelmed by the angry hordes of enemies.

I also thought the level design was pretty enjoyable. While it's true that it did make heavy use of arenas for the enemy encounters, the abundant secrets and collectibles encouraged exploration outside of combat, something you don't really see in modern shooters.

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 22:12 Jerykk

Just to repeat what I said for the previous million, if they don't produce seamless planetfell and procedurally generated environments to explore -- in Crytek, ffs -- they they're just not trying and won't get my funding. I'll wait on Braben (who I'm watching/waiting on anyway) and/or indies.

Procedural generation is painfully overrated for gaming. It produces quantity, not quality. Sure, you may have an infinite amount of variation but when that variation is so superficial and generic it doesn't even matter. You could produce 1000 different environments but they'd all look and feel the same, even if they were technically unique. I'd take a hand-crafted world over a procedurally generated one any day.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
39. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 27, 2013, 20:48 Jerykk

I play games for their storylines, characters, the attention to detail in-game and the experience they deliver. To give you a good measure, I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag and absolutely loving it. I can't put it down.

Eh? Many of the criticisms you made of Sleeping Dogs can just as easily be applied to Black Flag. Predictable and shallow story? Check. Stereotypical characters? Check. Clunky combat? Check. Unrealistic driving (or in this case, sailing) physics? Check. A small set of generic mission types repeated ad nauseum? Check.

For what it's worth, the combat in Sleeping Dogs is about a million times more entertaining than Black Flag's. That's really the most compelling part of Sleeping Dogs. Beating dudes (or ladies) up in a most gratuitous fashion. Beating someone with a telephone or slamming a car door into their head repeatedly never gets old. Hurling people over balconies never gets old either. If you don't enjoy these things, I guess Sleeping Dogs isn't for you. But the claim that Black Flag is better than Sleeping Dogs isn't really supported by the evidence you provided. It would have been better to just admit that you like pirate fiction more than crime fiction.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
28. Re: Every sale, same games... Nov 27, 2013, 17:40 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 17:36:
Sleeping Dogs, Terraria, Skyrim, Walking Dead, Left 4 Dead, Crysis 2, it's always the same exact games on sale every time, nothing new.

Except that's not actually true. There have been lots of new games released since the last Steam sale and these games are now on sale. State of Decay, for example.

It seems like you only expect new games to go on sale but that's not a realistic expectation. And for older games that have gone on sale before, the new discounts are typically better.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta for Backers Next Month
13. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta for Backers Next Month Nov 27, 2013, 05:38 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 04:42:
Mad Max RW wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:46:
I'm loving the real time vs. turn based shitstorm going on at the Torment boards. The common argument among real time apologists is "b-b-but turnbased takes longer!" Planescape was 90% reading. If you don't have patience for turnbased combat you never had patience to fucking read. The hypocrisy of these clueless drones is hilarious.

I have to think that Kickstarters should really indicate if they are going to be turn based or real time. I don't think Torment would have got nearly as much funding if it was going to be upfront and say it was thinking about real time.

Not sure why you'd think that. Combat was never the focus of PST. In fact, most people think the combat in PST is downright terrible. If combat was the primary reason why you backed Torment, you backed it for all the wrong reasons.

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
37. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 14:38 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:13:
InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:39:
Except it wasnt forcibly neutered by the publisher. It was in development hell aka Duke Nukem forever. If Microsoft hadnt stepped in and taken CR off the project the game would have never been released.

This is why I'm skeptical of Chris Roberts, yet again, promising the moon. He failed to deliver with Freelancer, and that was with publisher resources backing him up. That's probably why nobody wanted to touch him with this new project... Fortunately for CR, the general populace is a lot more gullible.

I liked Freelancer. Also, publishers aren't touching space sims in general, letalone big budget ones. It's not specific to Chris Roberts.

News Comments > Amazon Sales All Week
17. Re: Amazon Sales All Week Nov 25, 2013, 16:31 Jerykk

This is a better list of all the Amazon digital sales:

List

Tells you everything that will be on sale, when it will be on sale and how much it will cost. Some games are on sale multiple times, with some deals being better than others, so it's best to sort by title.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Next Year
5. Re: Raven's Cry next Year Nov 25, 2013, 01:17 Jerykk

Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. Mechanically, TW2 wasn't bad. It's just that the writing was so bad and setting so generic that it was difficult to find motivation to continue playing. Hopefully they hired some decent writers for this one.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - GOTY Nov 25, 2013, 01:14 Jerykk

Strange that Rockstar never bothered porting RDR to PC. Surely it would have been profitable enough to warrant the effort. Also, given how much it cost to develop the game, you'd think they'd want to milk it for every cent they could.  

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
39. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 25, 2013, 01:11 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 11:23:
shihonage wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 23:26:
You're a LARPer. Bethesda makes games for LARPers because of their own failure at semi-coherent or even meaningfully branching narrative. You enjoy the walking simulator aspect, while for me it's gotten banal, mundane and generally old a long time ago.

I understand some games where this works. Games where you truly create your own narrative, because they're procedural and feature emergent gameplay features. Games like Dwarf Fortress. You don't need to LARP in Dwarf Fortress, because what happens IS the story.

Fallout 3 doesn't have that, neither does Skyrim. Neither does GTA series for that matter. They don't have fluid gameplay systems that intersect and create emergent narrative.

Therefore, you're forced to LARP it while you walk the wasteland and hand in some of the worst-written quests in history of videogames. Your emergent gameplay there amounts to an odd bug or to rearranging furniture in someone's home.

And since the rational mind rejects vampire cults, suicidal trees, and towns built on nuclear bombs, it just leaves a void where narrative should've been.

As for sales numbers, that's hardly indicator of quality. Phantom Menace made a mountain of money, yet it's one of the worst movies ever made.

It's a quality game. Bethesda is a quality company. You not liking it doesn't change that. The people have spoken, with words and wallets. I like what I like, you can enjoy what you like, but you are wrong stating we are wrong for liking what we like. I loved FO3 even more than Vegas, because I liked the larger world with more places to go into and explore, with added mod support I will surrender.

Bethesda is good at making big, detailed worlds to explore but they are terrible at making any of the characters or history of these worlds make sense. There are an obscene amount of logic holes in FO3, primarily due to the fact that Bethesda's writers are more interested in silly gimmicks than coherent lore. Megaton, Little Lamplight, Tenpenny Tower... it was like going to a theme park where the facade is broken the moment you actually think about it.

Also, the quests in FO3 weren't really branching. The vast majority of them were completely linear, with the only choice being to do them or not. In NV, most of the quests had actual branches based on your character's skills and/or moral decisions.

13984 Comments. 700 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo