Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13946 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
78. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 06:02 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 04:36:
Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 03:18:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 23:00:
As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

agreed. It's some guy in leathers, sneaking around some medieval steampunk world, nicking stuff from pompous rich people. Seems very much like the Thief I grew up with. It has some changes also, but lots of other IPs go through changes, revisions, re-imaginings, reboots. Sometimes that works and you get new, interesting takes on things, sometimes it falls flat.

This x100.

Jerykk always makes these Thief discussions interesting, what with the way he's passionately defending the game that's not even out yet against people bashing the game that's not even out yet xD

It's not even specific to this game, though. I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information. THIEF may well end up being crap but there's simply not enough info available to make that judgment yet. Claims that the game isn't "Thief" enough are similarly unfounded and appear to stem from people taking a few nitpicks and blowing them way out of proportion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 23:00 Jerykk

As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

So.. how is the gameplay focus any different from the previous games? They aren't turning this into CoD. The focus is still on sneaking around and stealing stuff. As for the different voice actor, yes, the actor is different but what really matters is the writing of the character. As far as I can tell, Garrett still acts like Garrett. The new VA even sounds like the old one. As for story, yes, they are changing the details but the overall setting and tone and very similar to the other games.

Everything I've seen and read makes the new Thief seem like a Thief game. It's certainly not a carbon copy of the original but it retains all the important elements.

33. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 12:31 Jerykk

I'll give you an example from Deus Ex : HR, when your guy grabs guys from behind and does all sorts of cool moves. While we get emotional highs from it, it takes part of the fun out of the game and if not done right break the pace of the game. Not only that it wears off seeing your guy do the same scripted move for the 100th time.

That's not a QTE. A QTE involves multiple button presses in sync with on-screen prompts. Thief is not removing the one-button takedowns. They are just removing the few instances where they had actual QTEs, likely during cutscenes.

Anyway, while it is a bit weird to see them making changes like this so close to release, removing QTEs isn't that much of a change. From what they say, they only had a few QTEs in the game to begin with.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Nov 15, 2013, 02:44 Jerykk

Expeditions alone is well worth the $6. Criminally overlooked RPG that was a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Dex Kickstarter
3. Re: Dex Kickstarter Nov 13, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

I think this looks pretty cool and Ouya definitely isn't the lead platform. You can see a mouse cursor floating around in the video. I'm not really sure why they're releasing for Ouya at all but as long as it doesn't hurt the PC version, I'm fine with it.  

News Comments > 40 New Steam Greenlights
3. Re: 40 New Steam Greenlights Nov 13, 2013, 01:28 Jerykk

Valve really needs to consider more factors when greenlighting games. For one, games that have already been released should get priority over games that haven't. Canceled games should be removed from Greenlight entirely and games that failed their Kickstarters should get lowest priority.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
28. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 13, 2013, 01:19 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:45:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:29:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

Condemned, Condemned 2, Gotham City Imposters, Guardians of Middle Earth, Matrix Online, that one crap Tron game, and there was the one with Ice-T. Probably some I'm forgetting. But the shit games were interspersed throughout their life, so I don't think their batting average has changed at all.

Condemned was great. Never played the sequel but I heard it was pretty solid (it also has an 80 average on Metacritic). Tron 2.0 was definitely good. Sanity was decent.

Really, I think your definition of "shit" could use some refinement. The majority of Monolith's work has been at least solid, with some games being great.

The big problem is that WB is just using Monolith to pump out LotR games now, which is a waste of their talents. This new game could very well be decent but I'd much rather see another NOLF or Blood game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2013, 23:39 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 01:16:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 05:03:
Except there are plenty of sequels/prequels that are just more of the same but still get high scores. As I mentioned before, it has everything to do with hype and marketing. More hype and marketing = higher scores, regardless of how innovative the game actually is. The CoD games haven't really evolved (many would say they've actually devolved) since CoD4 yet they still get 8's and 9's every year. Same with Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Uncharted, Mass Effect, GTA, etc. Another big factor is the developer. If the sequel/prequel isn't done by the original developer, reviewers tend to be a lot less forgiving and a lot more demanding. Watch as the next Rocksteady Batman game gets 9's with only incremental improvements to the core gameplay.

You did NOT just lump Mass Effect in with Call of Duty...

Fight

ME is way better than CoD but like CoD, the ME sequels didn't really change the core gameplay very much. The biggest change between the games was the skill tree. The actual gameplay (running around, talking to NPCs and shooting stuff) remained very much the same. The same can be said for the Arkham games, though the jump from Asylum to City was more substantial than any of the changes made in the ME sequels.

Sorry, Jerykk, but it is possible. No, not for the "special" NPCs, but...2/3...1/2 of the fights? I have literally beating large groups of standard NPCs with only a single button (the block to counter action does not even require you to be facing the enemy or any other input in its direction.)

Even for the special NPCs, just do the disarm or the one magical ability you pick up the first time they appear and they, too, can be treated very much the same. Counter, counter, counter...oh wait, that dude is going for his weapons...attack...counter, counter, counter...

Origins actually mixes things up so you have much more enemy variety. In any given fight, you usually have at least four different enemy types and I don't remember that being the case in City. Throw in the new enemy types and the standard counters aren't nearly as effective as before. Turn off the counter prompts and they're even less effective. Origins also has a rating system that offers bonus XP for skill and variation, providing further incentive to try new things and take risks.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2013, 23:45.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 12, 2013, 04:04 Jerykk

Burial At Sea Ep 1 doesn't cost $20. Burial At Sea Ep 1 + Ep 2 + Clash in the Clouds costs $20. If each one provides a few hours of gameplay (which BAS Ep 1 and CitC have already done), that's about 9 hours of gameplay for $20. That's not a bad deal at all.

Also, it helps that I got the season pass for $10 instead of $20. It's generally a bad idea to pay full price for season passes.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2013, 05:03 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 23:31:
Quinn wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 18:51:
Hate the fact Arkham Origins isn't in this list. The game has gotten an unfair amount of bashing. The game is completely on par with the prequels!

I think you've answered your own question. It's on par. It adds nothing new. It's MOTS. That's why it's getting bashed, IMO.

Except there are plenty of sequels/prequels that are just more of the same but still get high scores. As I mentioned before, it has everything to do with hype and marketing. More hype and marketing = higher scores, regardless of how innovative the game actually is. The CoD games haven't really evolved (many would say they've actually devolved) since CoD4 yet they still get 8's and 9's every year. Same with Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Uncharted, Mass Effect, GTA, etc. Another big factor is the developer. If the sequel/prequel isn't done by the original developer, reviewers tend to be a lot less forgiving and a lot more demanding. Watch as the next Rocksteady Batman game gets 9's with only incremental improvements to the core gameplay.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2013, 19:37 Jerykk

The combat works, but you don't really have to do anything - if you wanted, you could even not attack and just counter whenever your bat senses go off.

That's not actually true at all. You can't counter the shield guys or stun baton guys or guys who charge you, nor can you counter guys shooting at you. Countering knife guys is way more involved than just tapping the Counter key too. The armored guys can be countered, but you'll never actually defeat them with just counters alone. Origins throws in a few more enemy types that require more than just countering too. If you tried to play Arkham City or Origins by just standing there and pressing Counter, you'd fail. And if you want extra challenge, just turn off the Counter prompts.

As for Origins' critical reception, I'm not too surprised. It wasn't made by Rocksteady, it didn't have a lot of hype or marketing and it's basically just more of the same. Only heavily-hyped series like CoD, BF or Assassin's Creed can get away with more of the same and only when it's from an established developer.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Nov 8, 2013, 00:30 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 21:20:
Is Blood Dragon just Far Cry 3 with a retro 80's vibe or does it do its own thing?

Basically just FC3 with a 80's sci-fi vibe.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer
23. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 4, 2013, 01:57 Jerykk

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 01:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 00:38:
The same trailer, the same game, the same people buying it, year after year after year after year.

It's gotta be cool to make your money that easily. Copy / paste 95% of your code, build a few new set pieces for your meager sp campaign, DONE!

Personally my COD days are long behind me, but if people enjoy it, and they obviously do with how much it still sells year after year, is there really a need to hate on it for the sake of it?

If you're not dropping the 60 bucks does it really affect you all that much?

The games that sell the best have a significant impact on other games. That's why regenerating health, two-weapon limits, aim assist, radar, kill streaks, etc, became commonplace. If something sells well, others will copy it. So yes, the purchasing habits of others does affect me quite a bit.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
25. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 3, 2013, 13:51 Jerykk

What reasons are those? The lack of manual jumping, even though the contextual navigation system will very likely be just as effective in getting you where you want to go? The ability to kill guards, even though you could easily do that in the previous games? Based on what I've seen and read, the new Thief looks to be pretty faithful to the series and a worthwhile entry in and of itself.

As for DX:HR, you are apparently in the minority of fans who didn't complain about:

1) The third-person camera cuts.
2) The cover system.
3) The streamlined melee.
4) The XP system.
5) The item outlines.
6) The yellow color scheme.
7) The combining of the XP and augmentation systems.
8) The multiplatform development.

According to many, the above issues were enough to justify condemning the game as an abject failure and utter disgrace to the series. I'm seeing the exact same thing happening with Thief, even though DX:HR proved that a handful of relatively minor issues aren't enough to ruin a game.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
20. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 2, 2013, 19:20 Jerykk

Denthor wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 01:55:
How could they have done so well in dx:hr and so wrong, so very wrong, with this - it doesn't really make much sense. Unless its suits. Wait. Who am i kidding, definitely suits designing the game. It's the only way it makes sense.

How can people condemn a game they know so little about and have never even played? Before DX:HR came out, it received the same criticisms that people are giving Thief. Lo and behold, once the game came out and these same people actually played it, they realized that the game was actually pretty damn good.

Wait until the game comes out and then judge it.

Yo, devs! Thief was never about just stealing shit! You got it ALL. FUCKING. WRONG! from the get-go.

What? Stealing shit has always been the foundation of the franchise. Thief 2 was the best in the series because it recognized and embraced this, whereas Thief 1 had a bunch of supernatural nonsense.

And for everyone complaining about the lack of gameplay footage, Youtube is your friend. There's plenty of gameplay footage available if you take 5 seconds to look for it.

News Comments > Next Car Game Kickstarter
7. Re: Next Car Game Kickstarter Nov 2, 2013, 19:15 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 14:04:
They can't get publisher support for this game?

It's really not that surprising. How often do publishers put out racing games that aren't based on established franchises? And when they do put them out, how well do they sell? Blur is the last original, AAA racing game I can think of and it sold poorly.

Anyway, I think they should have lowered the minimum pledge required to get the game. $20 is not an impulse pledge and based on the lackluster funding they've received thus far, they definitely need impulse pledges.

News Comments > Unofficial Deadly Premonition Patch Adds Higher Resolutions
3. Re: Unofficial Deadly Premonition Patch Adds Higher Resolutions Oct 31, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

The game is a cult classic. From a technical standpoint, it's a mess but the premise, setting and writing are very unique. It's like Twin Peaks meets Resident Evil. I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, though, especially when the port is so half-assed.  

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
9. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 30, 2013, 04:49 Jerykk

I don't really understand why people object to having more games on Steam. You aren't obligated to buy them. If you're unsure if a game is worth buying, do some research. It's not rocket science. There's nothing wrong with having choices.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed
41. Re: Command & Conquer Cancelled, Victory Games Closed Oct 30, 2013, 04:06 Jerykk

Not only do they cancel the game but they fire the entire team as well? Seems excessive but this is EA after all.  

13946 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo