Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13965 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
29. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 22:56 Jerykk

When you have no interest in a genre, it becomes all too easy to simply dismiss all of its games as one and the same. I have no interest in MMOs and I'm often guilty of that, even though I know that there are differences in their respective mechanics and systems. The problem is that I don't care about those differences because I dislike the genre as a whole. Any nuance is irrelevant to me because I find the genre inherently unappealing.

That said, "2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre. It's a camera perspective, just like first-person, top-down or isometric. Clumping all 2D side-scrollers together is equivalent to saying all first-person games are the same. If you had no interest in first-person games, then you probably would think that Shadow Warrior and Sanctum are the same. In fact, you'd probably go so far as to call them both Doom clones. Sounds ludicrous to anyone who actually plays first-person shooters but if you hated the perspective and didn't actually play any first-person games, it would seem like a perfectly reasonable statement.

The best solution is to simply admit that you don't like the perspective and leave it at that. Trying to defend your taste by making overly generalized and mostly inaccurate statements doesn't really help your argument.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
26. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 21:25 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 18:46:
I don't mind being a loner, but it does feel good to see someone who gets my point.

And Jerykk, obviously you're a guy who can get excited with "2D platformers". I also rememer your ecstatic words about Mark of the Ninja. That's all fine, of course, but to me it leaves me as cold as ice. I play games for two reasons: Gameplay & Story. If either or both of those two fail, my goal for playing the game cannot be achieved: Immersion. You can talk about different mechanisms or what not, but the "indie crap" I'm referring to can't -- in any way! -- give immersion. It's arcadey like that. I'd enjoy that shit in an arcade hall after I've had a few beers with my manly friends.

About the AAA titles you mentioned: Except for Black Flag I've finished those I care for and they've been somewhat forgettable. But this or that, the reason I'm now making this noise is because *something* changed. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and The Witcher... Where the fuck are they? There's 2 with such potential coming in late 2014. Two. This Steam christmas sale will be zerged with that "2D platformer" crap, I tell you, and then some old shit we could've gotten in the sale of 2012. That's my alarmbell ringing. That's why I'm expressing my unsatisfaction. Although the 2 causes don't necessarily correlate, AAA titles gave way to crappy platformers and I don't like this development I'm seeing.

Firstly, a game can achieve immersion through gameplay alone. Slick graphics and engaging writing are not always necessary, though they obviously help. If you find a gameplay mechanic compelling, you will be immersed while using it regardless of the game's story or presentation.

Secondly, games like ME, DA and the Witcher take a long time to make. They are huge RPGs with high production values. Games like that take years to develop. If you're expecting them to be released every year, you'll be in for a disappointment (as this thread has already proven). There's no "giving way" involved. Just realities of game development. Indie games have always been around and they've always vastly outnumbered big-budget RPGs. Always. The growing presence of indie games on Steam only makes this fact more apparent. Even if there were fewer indie games on Steam, there wouldn't suddenly be more big-budget RPGs. There is absolutely no correlation between the two.

What this ultimately boils down to is people complaining about the existence of a genre they don't like. When 2D platformers weren't as prominent on Steam, you could pretend they didn't exist. Now you can't. Nothing has actually changed in the industry. 2D platformers were always there. But now you have to see them whenever you use Steam and that annoys you.

On a side note, it seems like presentation is more important to you than either gameplay or story. That's the only reason I can think of as to why you'd neglect to mention Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, The Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns: Berlin, Shroud of the Avatar, etc, in your list of anticipated RPGs. All of them have the potential to be fantastic RPGs with deep gameplay and engaging stories but because they don't have AAA graphics, they apparently don't count.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:38.

News Comments > On Sale
25. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 21:10 Jerykk

No, I'm not. You're assuming I've made assumptions. Once more, try again.

Really? Okay, let's look at some of the things you've said. In the Teslagrad thread, you said: "
"Teslagrad is a 2D puzzle platformer..."

Yawn. You and 900 other releases this year. Saturated market.
" Have you even played Teslagrad? Do you know anything about it other than the fact that it's a 2D puzzle platformer?

Then in this thread, you said: "People who put in a raft of top shelf parts didn't do so because they want to play yet another 2D side scroller with shitty graphics and shitty audio because some cheap jackass "developer" wants to jerk off to the "glory" days of 8 bit hardware." That seems like you're dismissing all 2D platformers as shit.

Then you listed the indie games you liked: "Kerbal Space Program, Legend of Grimrock, Lunar Flight and Artemis Space Bridge Simulator (which I grant is a VERY niche title) are all excellent examples of indie games that can and do get it right." Note that none of those are 2D platformers.

Are there any 2D platformers you actually enjoy? Please list a few if that's the case. If not, my assumptions remain quite valid.

Three titles disqualified right off the bat. Seven titles released during months wherein not even stores are yet pimping Christmas shit. That leaves three whole AAA titles released during the Christmas shopping season. One of which has a reputation so bad that even diehard X veterans aren't buying it! Thank you so very much for going out of your way to list titles that support my statement.

As I said before, publishers and developers have learned to space out their releases better. Pumping them all out in November means more competition and less attention given to any one title. That's why we're seeing releases spaced out over the months (as opposed to single month) leading up to Christmas. Also, how exactly are you defining AAA status? Budget? Hype? Presentation? You exclude Walking Dead Season 2, even though Season 1 sold over 21 million episodes and received GotY from many media outlets. Apparently that's not enough to qualify as AAA?

Finally, as I mentioned before, the supposed dearth of AAA games has absolutely nothing to do with indie games. At all. Publishers don't think "Oh, well, there sure are a lot of indie games being released on Steam these days so let's not release anything in December!" There's no correlation between the two so I'm not sure why you act like indies are to blame for publisher decisions.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2013, 21:26.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access
15. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access Dec 15, 2013, 20:52 Jerykk

Angrius Maximis wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 11:48:
SO far this game is getting piss poor reception. Ill pass even in "beta" its terribad

Usually I'd ask about your sources but looking at your post history tells me everything I need to know.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 17:11 Jerykk

So what it basically boils down to is "I don't like 2D platformers." That's fine but that doesn't mean people should stop making them. The industry doesn't revolve around you and there's obviously an audience for 2D platformers, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing so many.

Also, you're making a whole bunch of assumptions about Teslagrad based solely on the fact that it's a 2D platformer. 2D platformers can in fact have different gameplay mechanics. Braid has different mechanics than Fez which has different mechanics than Vessel which has different mechanics than Super Meat Boy which has different mechanics than Teslagrad.

As for the lack of AAA games leading up to Christmas, that's not really true. We have Assassin's Creed 4, Batman: Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Saints Row IV, GTA5, BF4, CoD: Ghosts, NFS: Rivals, Rome 2, XCOM: Enemy Within, The Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 2, X: Rebirth, etc. Publishers and developers have finally realized that releasing all their games at the same time is a bad idea, hence the reason why the releases are more spread out now. This has absolutely nothing to do with indie games in any way.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2013, 16:51 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 16:33:
Linksil wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 14:49:
$60 is the normal cost for a game these days, just get over it.

That's for games that still need to make all their money back. These games have already made their money back before they were even made. Why do they need to be sold at $60?

Most Kickstarter games (if I didn't back), I'll pay 20 or 30 bucks for, and that's it.

It's being sold at $60 because the equivalent Kickstarter reward costs $50. Charging the same or less would make backers feel bad. When the final game is released on Steam, it will probably be $30-40 for the most basic package (the equivalent Kickstarter reward was $15).

Also, charging $60 ensures that only serious people buy the beta. The last thing inXile wants is a bunch of idiots thinking the beta is the final game and then complaining that it's buggy and unfinished. They want people who understand what a beta is and want to make the final game better through constructive feedback and bug reports.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 15, 2013, 16:45 Jerykk

Those benchmarks were pretty useless. All synthetic and no comparisons to Windows benchmarks. People want to see if games run better on SteamOS than they do on Windows.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
3. Re: Sunday Interviews Dec 15, 2013, 16:41 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 15:36:
Let's just get Eternity out the door first, shall we? I am not a happy camper as it is when they're talking about adding more stretch goals this late in the development cycle. I think I'm done with KS at this point.

This late in development..? They probably haven't even hit alpha yet and the game probably isn't coming out for another year. Boggles the mind that people can complain when developers offer to make a game better. It's not like they are charging you extra. You reap all the benefits of increased funding without needing to spend another dime.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 06:45 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 05:17:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 03:22:
Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 15:44:
Good to see crappy game developers being axed. The bureau was a JOKE! A silly, stupid, dumb joke.

Now, if all this new simple indie crap stops ZERGING Steam by the fucking day, I'm a happy chap. Let the age of indie enthousiasm die out and I'm ecstatic (seriously, I havent seen so many SHIT pop up in the Steam store EVER! It's like I'm watching PC gaming as I loved it simply DIE without any of mu fellas seeing it)

PS: Last rant has nothing to do with The Bureau ofc.

Not sure if you realize but all that "indie crap" has been around for a while. It just hasn't been on Steam. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Choice has always been a strength of PC gaming. Why would you want to remove it?

I would've agreed with you if the main page of the Steam store wasn't being took over. Seriously, I check the store these days and I see nothing other than those dumb little simple indie games that lack the immersion I chose to be a PC gamer for. That's not all. You've seen the last sale? Normally I couldn't wait for the new batch of sales coming in every few hours. Now not anymore, because 80% of it is this crappy indie shit going from 8,- for 4,50.

I just don't like what I'm seeing. Too little big, inmersive titles coming out. Too much of the same, simple, unimpressive arcady shit coming out. Bah.

Choice is fine, as long as ignoring that side-scrolling childsplay bullshit doesn't mean I'm out of choice.

Big, immersive games have always been in the minority because they cost more money and take more time to make. The existence of indie games hasn't changed this at all. If a big, immersive game comes out, rest assured that it will be on Steam. So what's the problem? If Steam didn't have any indie games, it would only have 1-2 new games a month.

On a side note, your view of indie games is a bit antiquated. They are not all simplistic 2D platformers. There a growing number of 3D indie games with polished presentations, like Natural Selection 2 or Outlast or Amnesia or Rust or The Swapper. Even 2D side-scrollers like Starbound can have a lot of depth and variety. Gameplay is not defined by presentation and to automatically dismiss a game because of its camera perspective is woefully shortsighted.

News Comments > Legends of Persia Announced
8. Re: Legends of Persia Announced Dec 15, 2013, 03:27 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 04:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 19:53:
Quinn wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 19:40:
Doesn't look good either.

Wasted effort if you ask me. If I'd be a starting developer, I wouldn't invest money on an engine with graphics that of course won't impress anyone and animations that will cost more money than that they will get in return for awe. Instead, I'll hire some (freelance?) designers and make a 2D game with beautiful art and an awesome story with good dialogue and awesome "choice & con" stuff. Relatively cheap but very engaging stuff that involves the player's moral compass etc. Make a name of yourself in this way and make an awesome game with the profits.

I'm sick of all these forgettable, mediocre indie stuff. I'm an early bird, evidently, but there will be a time that the gaming community's warm welcome for new devs will turn into fanatic disdain. I think I'm already there -- the more of the lame indie stuff coming out, the more I'm getting pro-EA, -Activision, -Ubisoft, -Bethesda etc.

Blegh. Tired & drunk. Bye.

Nothing wrong with that. If you want fully immersive gameplay experiences there are only so many developers that can deliver that... Indy's most certainly can not. Unless you are having insane funding success on KS

I can't even tell you how much I want another game sort of like Mass Effect right now. For all that can be said about the trilogy, it was pretty damn epic to play and experience.

I like the more barebones RPG's like Project Eternity and Original Sin, but they tickle another itch.... there are so very very few good big RPG's coming up...

Hell yes, I still get vomit in my mouth when I think about how they ended Mass Effect (although I hear the Citadel DLC is some sort of medicine for that?) but the trilogy was just fantastic. The world sucked me in so far I just couldn't let it go in real life. I was at work, playing that stupid Mass Effect app that had some minor impact in the actual game itself just so I could remain in that wonderful world.

It's exactly what I mean, eRe4s3r. It's that experience like Mass Effect's and Dragon Age's that I miss so very much these days. And there are indeed so very very few good RPG's coming up. I'm putting my hopes up for The Witcher 3, of course, and even Dragon Age 3 after that last Alpha session I've seen. But that's all late 2014 stuff if we're lucky.... T_T

Very few good RPGs coming up? What? Banner Saga, Shadowrun Returns: Berlin, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shroud of the Avatar, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 (maybe)... 2014 has plenty of potentially great RPGs coming out.

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Dec 15, 2013, 03:22 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 15:44:
Good to see crappy game developers being axed. The bureau was a JOKE! A silly, stupid, dumb joke.

Now, if all this new simple indie crap stops ZERGING Steam by the fucking day, I'm a happy chap. Let the age of indie enthousiasm die out and I'm ecstatic (seriously, I havent seen so many SHIT pop up in the Steam store EVER! It's like I'm watching PC gaming as I loved it simply DIE without any of mu fellas seeing it)

PS: Last rant has nothing to do with The Bureau ofc.

Not sure if you realize but all that "indie crap" has been around for a while. It just hasn't been on Steam. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Choice has always been a strength of PC gaming. Why would you want to remove it?

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
17. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 15, 2013, 03:18 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 01:57:
I owned a PS1 at the time Metal Gear Solid came out. The voice acting was ridiculous. The sight cones were ridiculous. The characters were ridiculous. The character names were ridiculous. The story was beyond ridiculous - and I loved it all! It had that special something [ I don't know; the flair? The flavor? The charm? The whimsical yet serious poetic themes? ] Japanese developers infuse their games with that I have always been drawn to. I don't know if I still would like a Metal Gear game as much but it's nice to see games like this released on the PC nonetheless. There's room for everything in my book.

The first two MGS games were actually ported to PC, though the ports were pretty half-assed. MS published the first port and Konami the second. Why they haven't released the games on Steam is a mystery to all. In fact, why MS hasn't released most of their considerable PC library is a mystery.

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
10. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 14, 2013, 17:42 Jerykk

Revengeance is not a stealth game at all. It's a straight-up brawler.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans
107. Re: Cliff Bleszinski's PC Shooter Plans Dec 14, 2013, 07:28 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:41:
descender wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:22:
Health packs are a reward, both for surviving up to that point, and for exploration.

Regenerating health not only removes risk and tension from the game, but reward as well.

This has all been said better here.

I don't understand how having different tactical responses to a situation (which allows these situations to be created to challenge the player) is "dumber" than only having 2 responses to a situation (shoot this gun or... that gun).

Both are equally valid (what I found less valid was Fear letting you carry 10 health packs around at any given time.)

The downsides of health pickups is that you often backtrack for health, or you spend time creeping forward because you have 20 health, or you become addicting to quicksaving and quickloading. Two of those downsides are the exact opposite of fun, and one of those downsides kind of depends. I remember in one game, I think HL, I ended up getting to a boss with next to no health. Impossible to beat him like that. I had to go back to a prior load, which was a good ways back.

The upsides of regenerating health is that you can make characters more fragile, meaning you become less of a bullet sponge. Let's be honest here - in most FPS games your character is some invincible superhuman who is never really in much danger and who can take nearly infinitely more damage than anything you fight. With regenerating health, concepts like cover fire begin to make more sense, as it only takes a few bullets to kill you. It actually makes things more realistic, and to say it removes risk and tension from the game is idiotic. Risk and tension come from many areas. Regenerating health typically comes with vulnerability, and vulnerability adds tension.

Both have their place, and both can easily be argued as stupid and/or dumb. People just like arguing with what they are most familiar with.

Unless you get killed in one shot, regenerating health does effectively ruin tension. You take cover, you pop out, you shoot. If you get hit, you return to cover, wait until you finish healing, then rinse and repeat. You can literally get hit an infinite number of times as long as there's a sufficient delay between hits.

The reason why games like Operation Flashpoint and the original R6 were so intense was because they had high lethality AND no regenerating health. A single bullet could and likely would kill you. You can make characters as fragile as you want with a finite health system and unlike regenerating health, it will actually matter.

Also, there's nothing that requires save-scumming with a finite health system. The game could use a checkpoint system and finite health. If you choose to save-scum, that's your fault. The means through which you replenish health is a matter of implementation. Health pack placement is a level design issue and if you ever find yourself starting a boss fight with very little health, that's a level design issue. The vast majority of games place health packs and ammo right before boss fights anyway. Finite health sytems can also encourage aggressive play. If you take note of the locations of health packs, you can intelligently maneuver through a combat scenario while healing yourself. It promotes planning and tactics whereas regenerating health promotes turtling. Finally, most shooters with finite health do not make you basically invincible (at least, not if you play on the highest difficulty). For example, Bioshock Infinite on Normal difficulty is a joke but in 1999 Mode, it's a whole other ballgame. Same with Dead Space or pretty much any other modern shooter with finite health.

Regenerating health exists because it's easier for players and easier for designers. It's that simple.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 14, 2013, 04:42 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 17:42:
Lord Tea wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 08:52:
On a side note: The Beta is absolutely unplayable on my 2009 Dell laptop (i7 quad @ 1.6 GHz, Radeon HD5400, 4 Gb RAM), the fps is down to ~5, on lowest settings, 1680/1050. I doubt there will be a quantum leap in performance for the final version, so this game is going to need a pretty decent machine to run smoothly.

You aren't even close to minimum specs currently listed on Steam for the beta. "Processor: Dual Core 3.0GHz or equivalent processor "

Dual core 3.0GHz...jesus. They better get that toned down to at least 2.0. Absolutely ridiculous that an overhead turn based RPG would need a 3.0GHz processor at this point.

At my $15 backing, waiting for final release, and hope it's playable on my aging machine.

Optimization typically happens during beta, so I'm sure the final min specs will be lower.

That said, you should probably upgrade one of these days.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Screenshots?
14. Re: Alien Isolation Screenshots? Dec 14, 2013, 04:39 Jerykk

This could be great if it focuses on survival horror and not on shoot-everything-that-moves.  

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 13, 2013, 03:51 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:24:
Can't wait for the Steam Winter Sale next week. I want Endless Space Gold edition so desperately.

From what I've read, it's going to be exactly the same as the Autumn Sale.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 03:50 Jerykk

I played a bit of NEO Scavenger a while back and while cool, it had some balancing issues. Basically, playing as a murderous thug was by far the easiest way to do anything. Not only do you get more loot while scavenging but you can easily destroy most enemies. I'm hoping they've done some balancing since then so other builds are equally viable.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack
7. Re: Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack Dec 13, 2013, 02:18 Jerykk

ViRGE wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 00:03:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 23:10:
I'd love to see them put out more substantial DLC rather than just skins and weapons. I think Bethesda learned from the Horse Armor debacle, whereas Square and Deep Silver seem content to put out trivial nonsense.
You'd probably like the Enter the Dominatrix and How The Saints Save Christmas DLC then. Those are the two DLC packs that include new missions and activities (more Genki, yay!).

Yeah, I have both and while they're definitely more substantial than the skins and weapons, they're nowhere near as substantial as Bethesda's DLC.

News Comments > Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack
5. Re: Saints Row IV - Child's Play Pack Dec 12, 2013, 23:10 Jerykk

I'd love to see them put out more substantial DLC rather than just skins and weapons. I think Bethesda learned from the Horse Armor debacle, whereas Square and Deep Silver seem content to put out trivial nonsense.  

13965 Comments. 699 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo