Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14067 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
25. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 5, 2014, 17:46 Jerykk

Bethesda seems to want to use idTech 5 for all their games now. RAGE, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, Dishonored 2 (rumored)... it wouldn't surprise me if they want BGS to use the engine too. Of course, idTech 5 is a total piece of crap and probably not mod-friendly so that's going to be problematic for BGS. Also, if a game of modest scope ends up being 50+ gigs because of MegaTextures, imagine how obscenely huge an RPG would be... I shudder at the thought.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 20:08 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 18:06:
Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 16:19:
Some of the reviewers were put off by the length, up to 20-25 hrs in some cases to finish the campaign. They probably thought they could finish the game in 8-10 hrs, then had to rush through to get the review finished on time when they realized it was so long.

Nope. The problem seems to be that it's fun to play hide and seek with the fucking Alien for the first five hours. After that it's supposed to turn into a nuisance due to being either way too predictable or the opposite where the Alien pounces you very randomly with lethal precision and no chance to defend yourself if you did not know what was coming.
It seems that the high scores are mostly coming from the reviewers who put in only a few hours and the low scores are coming from the folks who actually bothered to slog through (at least nearly) the entire game.
The complaints about the game being too long are mostly directed at the extremely repetitive gameplay. Playing hide and seek is only fun for that long and 20 hours seemed to be way too long for some folks.

I'm pretty sure all reviewers played the game through to completion, as completing the critical path is standard practice. Seems to me that the reviewers who disliked the game are the ones who dislike pure stealth. After the first few hours, the scariness of the alien wears off and Isolation basically turns into a hardcore stealth game with a focus on avoidance rather than assassination. If you fuck up and get detected, there's no recovery. Some people don't like that kind of stealth.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 2, 2014, 01:14 Jerykk

Task wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 23:46:
Every new game that comes out that is "mass marketed" to fit on consoles too, with clearly console look to the UI (dumbed down), which ends up the same on PC is the end of an Era. So its come to this? I play console games man, and I prefer that its streamlined gamepad UI style stays on console.

You do realize that the previous two Dragon Age games had their own unique UI for PC, right? And that this one will be no different?

Like The Elder Scrolls, which the Inquisition reeks of, though what made that as popular as it is today is that it's been so modder friendly, if it wasn't for it being so moddable it wouldn't have even remotely the fanbase it enjoys today. EA completely misses that and sees "open world etc" and even if they do see that it's something they won't do because the way they'd see it is them competing with the customer because they then can't charge for stupid DLC which the community could just dupe for free if not do better.

DAO had official mod tools that were pretty extensive. However, the modding community was never even remotely close to the size of the Elder Scrolls modding community. Given that fact, it isn't really surprising that EA/Bioware aren't officially supporting mods this time.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2014, 04:42.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
7. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 22:42 Jerykk

In a strange way I feel a little sorry for EA, the same way you would feel sorry for a retarded dog eating it's own excrement. They're so determined to add things from games that are successful thinking that will make the game sell, rather than thinking a good game sells, or just missing the point as to why some games sell or have such a fanbase.

Adding popular features to your game is a pretty standard practice. I see Inquisition more as Bioware addressing the issues from DA2 and expanding on the series as a whole. For what it's worth, I think the game looks great and might very well be a return to form for the series.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
70. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 27, 2014, 17:02 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure the game will run fine and dandy on your 680. You may not be able to use the optional ultra high-res texture pack but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use High textures with minimal hitching.  

42. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 15:27 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:28:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:24:
Texture resolution has a negligible impact on framerate. Doesn't really matter if you're using 512x512 or 4096x4096 textures, your framerate will be about the same.

IF you have enough VRAM. If not, go ahead and give it a try, and tell me how your framerate "stayed the same."

That said, using super high-res textures can cause hitching if you don't have enough VRAM but how frequent that is has yet to be seen.

Errr, so what is "hitching" in your world then, if not drastic drops in your frame rate?

I have a 2 gig card. I've run games that use more than 2 gigs of VRAM. I played Watch Dogs on Ultra (which recommended 3 gigs) and only suffered occasional hitching which may or may not have been a result of VRAM (people with 3 gigs or more also experienced hitching). My average framerate was not affected. Same with Skyrim when I installed a ton of high-res texture mods.

And there's a huge difference between occasional hitching and consistently poor performance. We're talking about average framerate here. When it comes to average framerate, I seriously doubt there's going to be a big difference between the different texture settings. It all comes down to how frequent the hitching will be and your tolerance for hitching in general.

18. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 12:24 Jerykk

Funny seeing people freak out over the VRAM "requirements." Texture resolution has a negligible impact on framerate. Doesn't really matter if you're using 512x512 or 4096x4096 textures, your framerate will be about the same. That said, using super high-res textures can cause hitching if you don't have enough VRAM but how frequent that is has yet to be seen.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed
27. Re: Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed Sep 26, 2014, 04:53 Jerykk

The framerate in that video looks pretty bad. GIven that the developer is Japanese, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a 30 FPS cap.  

News Comments > Steam Discovery Update
42. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 25, 2014, 23:03 Jerykk

Clearly you don't. Cramming everything onto a single page when it's not priority information just makes things cluttered. There is absolutely zero reason for card drops remaining to be included on the main store page. The information is where it belongs...on the Badges page.

Showing remaining card drops takes up a tiny amount of space and is valuable information... literally. I've bought many games from money earned by selling cards. Valve introduced cards in order to add value to games and make them more appealing. As such, it makes sense to show how many drops you have left in an obvious and accessible way.

Trying to use the Badge page is a travesty. The default sorting is nonsensical, some games don't even appear in the list and when you have hundreds of games to sort through, trying to find a specific one is wholly inefficient. What takes up to a minute could be reduced to seconds if they simply showed the remaining drops on the main page.

And yes it is pointless. It's not primary information, it's not even secondary information. Nor would you know if that person just left the game running for 12 hours while they were out to get card drops. Or maybe they forgot to shut the game launcher down. Average playtime, is useless information and certainly doesn't need to be shown on the main screen, or even the product page.

The wonderful thing about averages is that they minimize the impact of exceptions, such as games being idled for farming. In most cases, the average playtime calculations would give you a good sense of a game's longevity. For example, the average for Skyrim or Civ 5 would undoubtedly be significantly higher than the average for Banner Saga or RA3.

Valve has gone far and above everyone else as far as customer-friendly service goes. Showing competitors prices and showing the history of a products pricing would just be plain bad business. What other industry does this on their store pages? None.

If it's bad business to show anything that might discourage a full-price purchase, why show Metacritic scores? Or user reviews? Or third-party DRM warnings? Why even have sales to begin with? You're just devaluing your product and making people less likely to pay full price. No, the reason why Valve does these things is because it builds customer loyalty. Transparency is one way to build customer loyalty. If Steam has the best prices, it should flaunt that fact by comparing its prices to competitors. If it doesn't have the best prices, it should remedy that. There are plenty of stores that pride themselves on having the lowest prices and will match a competitor's price when called out.

Make no mistake, I think Steam is great. However, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I don't see the new UI as an improvement because the new features don't have any value to me. In fact, they only serve to add more clutter to what was previously a clean and efficient store page. They also make it harder to see information I actually care about. Meanwhile, Enhanced Steam has tons of features that I find useful and would love to see integrated into the official client.

33. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 12:44 Jerykk

Krovven, I feel like you don't understand how good UI works. If I have to access a separate page to see basic information like how many card drops I have left, that's woefully inefficient. The information I want to see (regardless of how useful you personally think it is) should be on the same page. There's plenty of room, as Enhanced Steam has proven.

Also, how is a playtime average useless? Steam already tracks your time so showing an average amongst all players of the game is simple. It's especially useful for multiplayer games which have always been a gamble. When you can see the average playtime and concurrent player count, you can get a good sense of how large and active the community for that game is.

You're correct in that Valve is unlikely to ever show a price history for games. That said, if they genuinely want to offer the best prices and be the most customer-friendly service out there, showing a price history is a great way of doing that. People already know that games go on sale all the time. It's not like people pay full price because they don't believe the game will ever get cheaper. A price history would simply confirm that Steam has historically had the lowest prices, encouraging loyalty to the platform.

26. Re: Steam Discovery Update Sep 23, 2014, 04:21 Jerykk

saluk wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 02:43:
I just love some of the cynicism in here. This release is freaking sweet! It comes close to meeting almost all of the complaints I had for the old storefront. I love that I can hide any game! There are still some niggles. I would like to not be reshown games that are already on my wishlist (but at least it tells me that it's on my wishlist), and hiding a game does not actually hide it from a lot of areas. I do hope we don't have to wait 5 years for updates to THIS layout.

But it's clear a lot of effort went into this, and it's about time.

Meh. There's way too much crap on the storefront that I don't care about now. I don't care about my queue. I don't care about recommendations. I don't care about curators. All I care about are new releases (and not just the popular ones), top sellers and sales.

People always complained about there being too many new releases on the front page, even though it took all of five seconds to skim through the ones that seemed interesting.

If Valve wants to improve Steam, they need to take a look at Enhanced Steam. It's better than regular Steam in just about every way. It shows information that I actually care about, like price history (from all sites, not just Steam), player statistics, Metacritic user scores, positive/negative review ratios, remaining card drops, average playtime estimates, etc.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2014, 04:27.

News Comments > Battleborn Co-op Video
2. Re: Battleborn Co-op Video Sep 21, 2014, 04:45 Jerykk

This looks pretty boring. It's like a MOBA where you only fight minions. The whole appeal of MOBAs is the PvP. Remove that and you're just killing stupid cannon fodder.  

News Comments > TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer
9. Re: TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer Sep 21, 2014, 04:32 Jerykk

I don't think advertising a lack of features is really going to sell your game. Does this game actually do anything new or interesting with the genre? If this was released ten years ago, people would have just dismissed it as a generic shooter. I'm all for old-school shooters but just rehashing the same old stuff isn't going to cut it. You have to put an interesting spin on it.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 21, 2014, 04:26 Jerykk

This is almost exactly like Quake. They're even using Quake maps, Quake weapons and Quake physics. While I'm all for arena shooters, you need to do something fresh with the genre. Pumping out a Quake remake isn't very interesting when I can just go play Quake.  

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer
3. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer Sep 18, 2014, 23:08 Jerykk

Nice to see that the AI can handle the player's various means of hiding. AI is a huge part of a stealth game's appeal.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans
8. Re: Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans Sep 18, 2014, 04:18 Jerykk

It's best not to think of Season Passes as DLC pre-orders and simply buy them once all the DLC is out and the Season Pass is available at a good price. The Season Pass for Bioshock Infinite, for example, has dropped as low as $5 before, which is a fantastic deal for the DLC you get.

There's nothing forcing you to buy Season Passes before the DLC is even out. If Season Passes allow me to eventually get a bunch of quality DLC for a low price, I'm all for them. Hell, I wish EA would have offered Season Passes for the ME games. If they had, I probably would have been able to get them all for $10 total, as opposed to the $50+ it costs to buy them individually.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans
4. Re: Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans Sep 18, 2014, 01:54 Jerykk

This mode doesn't seem to justify a $30 season pass. $10, maybe, but $30? Not a chance. Then again, season passes are never worth buying at full price and they go on sale pretty quickly. At $10, most season passes are a good deal.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video
11. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video Sep 18, 2014, 01:40 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 23:48:
Icewind wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 23:19:

Wait. I can see Wasteland 2, but you think Eternity fell short? How so? Was it due to the pause based combat? Because I thought Eternity was amazing.

Well, unfortunately I am reduced to watching Backer Beta videos, I only supported that Kickstarter at a lower tier. However the stamina system, no combat experience, healing system, a lot of things seem way out of whack at this stage. Tanking seems impossible in the current build, some stats are currently pointless. The Rest Bonus seems like it'd drive me crazy also...it seems to encourage going back to town every time.

Of course, a lot of these are just numbers to be tweaked here and there, maybe it'll be fine by release. A lot of discontent on the Backer forums also, and no noticeable response by any developers. I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this point, maybe there are plans in motion, etc.

I am leaning towards not paying any more attention to Pillars of Eternity until it's actually out, I'm just getting annoyed at details via second hand accounts at this point.

I don't really see much value in playing or reading about these games before release. RPGs have to go through a ton of tuning before they're sufficiently balanced. PoE and WL2 are no different.

As for no combat experience, I'm fine with that. It means that non-combat approaches will be just as viable as combat ones. When a game rewards specific playstyles, it encourages said playstyles and discourages others. That's not what an RPG should do. Limiting XP rewards to quest completion ensures that you can resolve quests however you like rather than the manner that the designers decided was most worthwhile.

Back on topic, is the trailer representative of how much VO is going to be in the game? If so, that's cause for concern. VO limits how much dialogue you can have and how much you can iterate on that dialogue.

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer
5. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Trailer Sep 12, 2014, 03:25 Jerykk

Fion wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 10:52:
This comes out in october? How is it I just heard about it like a week ago. Seems interesting, though perhaps one-dimensional.

One-dimensional? As in, it's not an action/stealth/RPG hybrid? I love stealth games so I'm fine with pure stealth.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Patch
7. Re: Dead Rising 3 Patch Sep 12, 2014, 03:23 Jerykk

Zanthar wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 23:30:
I already know what is causing the initial load screen hangs... Somewhere in the DRM an idiot hardcoded C: drive as the drive that MUST have the game installed.

Everytime I want to play, I have to open to oped the CMD window and type subst C: E:\ to map a virtual C: drive that redirects to my E: drive that contains Win7 and the game. After that it loads and plays just fine.

Pretty sure that isn't the cause. I have the game installed on my G: drive and I haven't had a single crash or hang (except when quitting the game but the patch fixes that).

14067 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo