Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13832 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
17. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 19:08 Jerykk

I will say the last 2-3 missions opened up a little bit, once or twice reminding me of the original games, but the game was such a chore to play.

What? The last 2-3 missions are the most linear in the whole game. The brothel, the architect's mansion, the baron's mansion, the bank heist and the asylum were all way more open-ended and reminiscent of the original games.

Also, not sure how the looting experience is deflated. You steal the same type of trinkets that you stole in the previous games. Namely, silver and gold jewelry and utensils found in logical places. I enjoyed searching through drawers and cabinets too. It felt more involved than simply grabbing things from on top of tables and desks. I also liked finding and opening the many hidden safes and caches. There is a ton of loot in the game and a lot of it is challenging to find.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 17:59 Jerykk

Man, I want what you're smoking, because you are STILL defending this game even after it was proven to be bad upon its release. It is a decent game at best, and it is certainly not a 'good stealth' game, not even close with its horrible, horrible AI. For one example, of many: If I accidently alert a guard and whack him once with my blackjack, then run off and hide, he’ll give-up after a minute or so and go back to his idle state. If I alert two or three more in the process, and then run and swoop by a guard in the next room that is sleeping, he's not even woken up/alerted from the shouting of the guards within the vicinity and that can be clearly heard from the next room. BUT, if I walk across some glass that is close to that same sleeping guard, that isn't even as loud as the sound of the yelling guards, he'll wake up. Then, if I run and hide off in a closet or another part of the area for about a minute or so, then go back to those areas, the guards are right back to their idle states like nothing ever happened. And it does not matter if you play it on easy, medium, master difficulty, etc., they’ll react the same way on any difficulty level. If it was a ‘true’ stealth game, then the AI mechanics wouldn’t be so piss poor.

Most stealth games have AI that eventually resets to its idle state if they don't find you after a certain amount of time. It's dumb, I agree, but it's not unique to Thief. As for the sleeping guard not hearing other guards, that seems like a bug. I know that when I played, there were definitely cases where a sleeping guard was awoken by other guards. But then, there were cases where the AI was kinda buggy too. However, this could be said for any stealth game. Go on Youtube for examples from any of your favorite stealth games.

No stealth AI is perfect (original Thief games included). There are always cases where AI acts stupid or buggy. The new Thief is no exception. However, as a whole, the AI in Thief is pretty solid (when playing on Master difficulty where they are much more perceptive). There are nice touches, like the AI going into alert mode if you cause too many suspicious disturbances within a short period of time. They also get suspicious if you leave containers and doors open, which is another nice touch.

8. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 2, 2014, 12:46 Jerykk

Love seeing people who have never even played the game continue to talk trash about it. While far from perfect, Thief was a good stealth game, especially if you play it as it was meant to be played (Master difficulty, no alerts, no kills/knockouts, collect all the loot). Playing that way forces you to have a better understanding of the game's mechanics and AI.

The story wasn't great but that's pretty standard for videogames. Not sure why people were so offended by this particular case when there are plenty of other games with equally bad (or worse) stories. The previous Thief games had pretty good writing but nothing exceptional. People act like their writing was up there with PST or something.

In fact, many of the complaints seem nitpicky. Yes, mashing E to open windows is dumb but it becomes less of an issue over time. Once you loot an apartment, you have no reason to loot it again which means there are fewer windows to open later in the game. Also, as you learn the layout of the city, you learn the quickest and most efficient routes to get where you want to go, minimizing the number of windows you have to go through. In regards to traversal, the automated system works well enough most of the time. You quickly learn what it can and cannot do and getting where you want to go is easy. There were very few cases where it didn't do what I expected it to do. Level design was pretty good for the most part, with the bulk of the levels being open-ended and rewarding exploration (particularly the side missions). There were a few sections that were linear and scripted but these were the exceptions, not the rule.

The overblown scorn laid upon the new Thief makes me believe that pure stealth games may no longer have a place in today's market. Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution, Splinter Cell: Blacklist... all offer equally viable combat solutions and were much better received for it. Conversely, combat in Thief is an absolute last resort and not very enjoyable in and of itself. If it had more effective and enjoyable combat, I think most players would have enjoyed the game a lot more because stealth would be optional.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
35. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 22:51 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 19:47:
deqer wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 19:43:
Randomly-generated land ruins the meaningfulness of said land, thus making the game boring(like a tedious meaningless repetitiveness grind) and lessens the feeling of accomplishment.

Just like randomly generated land made Minecraft boring, and randomly generated dungeons made Diablo and Rogue Legacy boring, and randomly generated guns made Borderlands boring.

Also, I believe the landscape of the earth is pretty randomly generated.

I think what he means is that procedurally generated content, while technically unique, can often feel generic because it isn't hand-crafted. In that regard, he has a point. None of the dungeons in Diablo or Rogue Legacy felt very unique, nor did any of the guns in Borderlands feel very unique. There's a ton of variation but the differences between each variation are relatively minor.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Mar 31, 2014, 04:00 Jerykk

Hah, I like that Objective Game Reviews site. Absolutely no opinions stated, just facts. Attaching a score to that does seem a bit weird, though.  

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Mar 31, 2014, 03:56 Jerykk

Well, that's only if you agree that sowftware can only be licensed and not owned. I don't. I pay for a copy of something and it's mine as far as I'm concerned. Just like books, CDs, DVDs, cars, furniture, etc. No one seens to have a problem going to a restaurant and paying more for resold food. So it's an entirely a matter of perspective on that front.

That's not a good analogy. The ingredients used in restaurants are sold to restaurants for that explicit purpose: to be used as ingredients to create meals. The Humble Bundle keys were never intended to be resold or for anything other than personal use. A more accurate analogy would be someone buying ingredients for super cheap and then reselling them to restaurants at higher (but still below regular) prices, cutting out the providers of said ingredients.

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access
38. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 31, 2014, 00:44 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 19:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:52:
Okay..? If Early Access helps make the game better, what exactly is the problem? Would you rather they avoid Early Access and release an inferior game?

Well in my case, the issue is they ran a Kickstarter plus Early Access. To me that's double-dipping. They not only did they meet their Kickstarter goal, they exceeded it. So why do they need Early Access now? It doesn't say anywhere on Steam that Early Access will make the game even better then was planned with their Kickstarter funds.

I'd rather see a real indie dev that really need the funds and marketing that Early Access provides in their place.

Games are expensive to make. Very few games are released within budget, letalone in a polished and truly final state. Too many games are released prematurely because the developers need to start generating revenue before the game is finished. X: Rebirth is a perfect example of this. Early Access is basically the same as releasing an unfinished game, only the game is clearly labeled as unfinished and there's a much greater chance of the game actually being finished because the developers are getting paid during development.

$625k (before taxes and other expenses) is pocket change for a videogame. Any developer, indie or otherwise, can make a better game when they have more money. Could Stainless have completed Carmageddon with only their Kickstarter funding? Probably, but it would have definitely been a lesser game. More money = better game and as a gamer, that's all I care about.

15. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 18:52 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 18:14:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 17:46:
RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 16:37:
Yes but they already had a over-successful Kickstarter. They are simply milking it with Early Access now.

For games that aspire to have better than 8-bit graphics, kickstarter funds are a mere fraction of what is required.

That's not what they said. They said they needed $400K. They got $625K. They should have more than enough to make the game. If they didn't ask for enough to fulfill their commitments I would consider that fraud.

Okay..? If Early Access helps make the game better, what exactly is the problem? Would you rather they avoid Early Access and release an inferior game?

I've never really understood the mentality that some people have towards crowdfunding. They complain when kickstarter projects are delayed (despite the fact that original release dates are estimates created before stretch goals are accounted for) and they complain when projects go on Early Access. It's like they don't care about quality or polish and only want the games to release on time and within the original budget. In essence, they act exactly like publishers.

3. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 16:28 Jerykk

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 15:49:
Early access is going to be the death of this industry. It's giving up a feast tomorrow for a sandwich today...

What? Early Access provides the following:

1) Early revenue stream so developers can finish their games without resorting to investors or publishers.
2) Free testing and feedback for the developers so the final game can be more polished and better tuned to what customers actually want.
3) Removes the need to release broken games as final when they clearly aren't final.

I don't see how any of those things is bad. There are a lot of games that would have benefit from Early Access. X: Rebirth and Sword of the Stars 2 come to mind.

The only potential downside (which has yet to be proven) is for multiplayer games. If most of the community plays the game during Early Access, it's possible that they might get burned out before the game officially releases, resulting in a smaller community at launch.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation in October
12. Re: Alien: Isolation in October Mar 29, 2014, 21:21 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 19:13:
This game should have co-op campaign. If it did, I'd buy it full price out of the gate. But since it's single-player only, gonna wait a long while when i can pick it up for $7.

What? Co-op would completely ruin any sense of immersion or suspense. The game is called Alien: Isolation, for crying out loud. Co-op is the exact opposite of isolation.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
17. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Mar 29, 2014, 17:55 Jerykk

Definitely looking forward to this. I thought DX:HR was great but had plenty of room for improvement (better AI, better graphics, more interactive environments, better balancing, better energy system, etc).

While The Fall was disappointing, I don't think it was up to Eidos Montreal. Square likely told them to make a mobile game and that was that.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Delayed Again
4. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed Again Mar 29, 2014, 06:33 Jerykk

I wasn't very impressed by the Two Worlds games but that's mainly because they were so painfully generic. The pirate setting is already far more interesting so hopefully the rest of the game holds up.

Here's some new footage (including naval combat): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBlIPsWaqI

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2014, 06:40.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
8. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 28, 2014, 05:11 Jerykk

And I wonder if that's meant to be Oracle Bats is talking to on the holo-comm on his wrist. Havent seen or heard her mentioned in any of the previous Arkham games, have we?

You talk to her a lot in Arkham Asylum. I don't remember if she's in City. She makes a cameo appearance in Origins.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
30. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 27, 2014, 23:28 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 23:04:
Dead Space is probably the worst PC port I've ever played. It's basically unplayable, looks like crap and is just a consolized mess. I gave up after an hour. And I LOVE horror games.

You haven't played a lot of PC ports. Saints Row 2 and Resident Evil 4 (the original port) were way, way, way worse than Dead Space. I'm talking about missing lighting, zero mouse support, horribly broken performance, etc. Dead Space's only significant issue was related to V-Sync and was easily fixable.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week
3. Re: Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week Mar 27, 2014, 23:26 Jerykk

Seems like poor planning. They should have realized that the Jagged Alliance Online engine wouldn't work for the game before they even launched the Kickstarter.  

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Demo
14. Re: Shadow Warrior Demo Mar 27, 2014, 14:57 Jerykk

The new SW was great. Stabbing things in the face never got old.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 25, 2014, 04:43 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 14:13:
InBlack wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 08:23:
So DayZ Alpha appears to be the new Skyrim? Im not sure how I feel about an alpha game selling so well. I hope it ends up being a proper game and all.

Yea. Wish I hadn't bought it. Featureless game with nothing to do.

It's a sandbox. You set your own goals and create stuff to do. If you bought the game without realizing this, you probably should have done more research beforehand.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Mar 23, 2014, 06:11 Jerykk

I thought Papers Please was great. There's a certain satisfaction to be gained from paying attention to details and foiling those who would try to deceive you. The game also offers a surprisingly engaging story with branching paths and ambiguous moral choices.  

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
28. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 03:25 Jerykk

headkase wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 01:47:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 22:58:
headkase wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:47:
Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

The pages exist but you still can't buy them. I'm sure you already knew that, right?

No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

Why would you need to torrent them when you already have them on GOG..?

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
24. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 23, 2014, 01:03 Jerykk

The problem with FC3 is the same problem that all of Ubisoft's open-world games have. Too shallow and too repetitive. Populating your world with generic and shallow side activities and an absurd amount of collectibles doesn't make it more interesting. What makes it interesting are complex missions with branching paths, ambiguous moral choices and a meaningful impact on the game world. By the time I reached the second island in FC3, I had already seen everything the game had to offer many times over.  

13832 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo