Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
17. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 25, 2015, 06:25 Jerykk

I have to assume that the VO is placeholder and done by the devs themselves. There's no way that could be final.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Technomancer Next Year
3. Re: The Technomancer Next Year Jul 24, 2015, 23:30 Jerykk

Looks like it takes place in the same setting as Mars: War Logs. Hopefully it has better writing and less janky combat.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
48. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 19, 2015, 18:18 Jerykk

shihonage wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 00:37:
Quinn wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 08:19:
I don't agree. In fact, I call utter bullshit.

Have you ever played Mass Effect? If you did, you probably did get attached to characters. None of them were not immortal in combat. None.

In fact, any important NPC in any game I can come up with is immortal in this sense.

The fact that they CAN die in the story depending on your decisions, that's what matters. The interaction you have with the characters outside of combat, that's what matters -- that's what develops a relationship, like that first moment you meet Dogmeat in this video.

Ahem. Actually Dogmeat originated in Fallout 1, where he was killable. And so was every single NPC in the game, including quest givers and other potential companions.

Fallout 2 and Arcanum followed a similar design.

They key word here being "design". RPGs hit their apex mechanically in the late 90s, and console dudebro abominations like "Mass Effect" mutilated the genre into something utterly unrecognizeable.

At some point the publishers interpreted RPG as "Really Profitable Game", and thus it became an amalgamation of genres.

"Mass Effect" does not know how to make player care. Its NPCs are autistic infodumps, they talk like no one ever, and what you say to them is disconnected from what is shown on the screen.

Mass Effect is a generic action franchise with a few stats thrown in, and a few IF-THEN pivot points to give it that RPG flavor without any of the substance.

Its idea of emotional involvement revolves around hackneyed "tearjerker" cutscenes (my eyes were even drier than usual), and awkward bumping-mannequins "lovemaking".

The success of dudebro RPGs like Mass Effect is a symptom of the general decline of the audience. Consoles made games a form of passive entertainment, a set of clowns juggling chainsaws on your TV while you lay back on the couch and absorb content.

Like COD series, it was a big step back toward reducing interactivity in games, essentially neutering the strongest feature that makes them unique, and instead trying to play off genre's secondary qualities of being able to poorly, very poorly, imitate a really crappy movie.

Bioware/Bethesda wouldn't know how to make the player feel immersed, involved, or make him care. That art was lost a long time ago. It requires actual thought, design, innovation, writing. It requires an innate understanding that an interactive world is the holy grail of an RPG.

Eh, to be fair, Dogmeat was basically worthless in FO1 because he was killable and you had no real control over him. He'd attack Deathclaws and Super Mutants armed with gatling lasers or he'd just walk through a laser forcefield.

At a certain point, you either said "screw it" and let him die or reloaded your save every time he died. Making him invincible (but still get knocked out if his health reaches 0) means he can still be useful but not OP and won't feel like a burden either.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch Next Month
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch Next Month Jul 18, 2015, 17:36 Jerykk

Gadzooks wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 15:36:
Ubisoft, "at least we gave out free DLC when we goofed up this bad..."

I'd heard rumors that WB would be giving the season pass to owners for free but nothing since then.

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain NVIDIA Bundle Plans?
3. Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain NVIDIA Bundle Plans? Jul 18, 2015, 16:44 Jerykk

Flak wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 14:09:
These bundles almost always suck, I got Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell with a GPU a while back...but it was only redeemable on UPlay, despite both games being available on Steam.

I emailed Ubisoft about providing a solution so I could redeem those games on Steam, basically told to pound sand.

Needless to say, I haven't played either of those games, or any Ubisoft game since.

Splinter Cell is a first-party Ubisoft game so it requires Uplay. Tomb Raider is a Steamworks game so the key they gave you should have been redeemable on Steam. In fact, it literally had to be redeemable on Steam because it requires Steam.

44. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 15:06 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 12:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 04:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 02:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:52:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 23:28:
Wasn't all this shown a few weeks back?

No, this video has some new footage.

It was new the morning after the game was announced, when they showed it again during the MS conference. This is that exact demo reel.

It seems the industry on the whole likes to recycle this stuff a month later, putting out official clean video of what they showed in LA.

Watch the full video. There is footage that has never been shown before (looking at the stats on the PipBoy, talking to the NPC in the town, etc). The E3 reel had parts of this video but not everything.

I did... A month ago, I watched it live on stage with Todd narrating. Look here if you don't believe me, compare shot for shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRFAuDOlK5Q

Blue even says in the blurb that it's from E3. It says Phil Spencer on the Pip-boy, which they did for that specific presentation. The stuff you're referring to was not in the original reveal video from the Bethesda conference, but it was shown the next day, for Microsoft.

Huh, weird. I totally don't remember seeing some of those scenes in the E3 reel. Guess I skipped the MS conference.

28. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 04:05 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 02:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 00:52:

It was new the morning after the game was announced, when they showed it again during the MS conference. This is that exact demo reel.

It seems the industry on the whole likes to recycle this stuff a month later, putting out official clean video of what they showed in LA.

Watch the full video. There is footage that has never been shown before (looking at the stats on the PipBoy, talking to the NPC in the town, etc). The E3 reel had parts of this video but not everything.

As for looking like FO3, people really need to go back and replay that without mods. It had pretty awful lighting and textures. It didn't even have exterior shadows. FO4 looks way better than FO3.

What's baffling is that people are fixated on graphics when there are other, far more troubling issues like the 4-option dialogue wheel, a voiced protagonist with an established backstory and relationships and the replacement of skills with perks. Fallout fans (of the first two games) should be far more concerned with those issues than an underwhelming presentation.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2015, 04:10.

23. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 00:52 Jerykk

16. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 23:22 Jerykk

Basically confirms that skills have been replaced with perks, ala Skyrim. That, coupled with the 4-option dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist, probably means that skill checks are a thing of the past. Disappointing but probably not that great of a loss considering how awful they were in FO3. Really wish Obsidian was making this instead of Bethesda.  

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped
13. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 15, 2015, 01:58 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 00:13:
From what I saw of Dead Island 2, this is good news. I don't really see room for Dead Island 2 now that we have Dying Light though...

Pretty sure they're still going to make DI2. They've milked the franchise plenty already and have no reason to stop. They're just going to give the project to another dev.

News Comments > Satellite Reign Next Month
12. Re: Satellite Reign Next Month Jul 13, 2015, 03:07 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 22:29:
Early access allows games to get made that would otherwise not be made. You take the bad with the good, and do some research before you buy something.

Mount and Blade was sold as a 'beta' for about 4 years before its retail release, and that worked out well.

This. There are many benefits to early access, for both developers and consumers. Developers get a revenue stream during development and lots of feedback and playtesting and consumers get a more polished final product. There are plenty of early access games that have turned out well. As with all purchases, it's up to the consumer to do research and make sure they know what they're paying for.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Notes
5. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Notes Jul 12, 2015, 01:59 Jerykk

Apparently they're holding back the PC patch so they can launch it at the same time as the console patches. Pretty stupid, really.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed
11. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC DLC Delay Confirmed Jul 12, 2015, 01:58 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 21:37:
Linksil wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 20:50:
Sooo basically for those of us playing the PC version and have NO problems your delaying the promised content. This is fine if you hadn't insisted on taking all the money up front of said content. This is saying that you really don't care at all about the PC players and are willing to shaft us even more. If you really cared and wanted to make amends you would do something like just refund us the Season pass and still give us full access.

I've been loving the game... have no issues with it... but having finished it and not wanting to cut my wrists on riddler trophys to get the proper ending there's no reason for me to keep this game around on my HD.

Lets make one thing absolutely clear: You most probably do not have a better rig than mine and you do have the same stutters I was having, but you are simply less susceptible to it. Krovven posted with the same bravado as you and even uploaded a video to proof his game did not have performance issues, which it obviously had to me a person who is EXTREMELY susceptible to fps drops and stutters.

So, with that in mind... GFY.

Performance and stability are highly variable. After a few ini tweaks, I had minimal stuttering and the framerate was pretty consistently 60 FPS. I think I crashed twice in my ~50 hour, 100% completion playthrough. Texture streaming was almost never an issue either.

Not saying that the port was well done but not everyone is suffering the same severity of issues.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Trailer
8. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Trailer Jul 6, 2015, 22:59 Jerykk

Looking forward to this. Looks to be more like DX than the previous game (which was more like an adventure game).  

News Comments > Batman Console DLC This Month
18. Re: Batman Console DLC This Month Jul 4, 2015, 06:37 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 04:52:
Squirmer wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 01:25:
Rattlehead wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 20:44:
Bullshit, they've said on Twitter that there would be no DLC worked on until the PC version is fixed, and guess what? DLC released. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Actually said this on Twitter a week ago:

To clarify: PC is top priority for engine team but there'll still be updates for consoles too. Not all issues are fixed by same people.
https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/614555527830466562

Regardless of who is working on what and when, that's not how publicity works. Nobody cares that Studio X is fixing the PC bugs while Studio Y is making the DLC. All people see is that B:AK PC was such shit at release that it was pulled from shelves. To then announce the DLC for any version while the situation with the PC is still in the red is perhaps the best way to infuriate your customers.

Except the majority of customers own the console versions which don't have any of the PC problems. This DLC was announced before the game's released and WB planned to release it shortly after launch in order to discourage trade-ins and keep the game in the headlines.

I, like everyone else, agree that WB fucked up the PC release and that they should fix it ASAP. However, from a financial standpoint, it doesn't make any sense for them to withhold DLC on every platform when customers on two platforms are happy with the game and are looking forward to the DLC. People enjoying Arkham Knight on PS4 and XBOne don't really care that the PC version is broken, just like PC gamers didn't really care that the PS3 version of Skyrim was broken.

14. Re: Batman Console DLC This Month Jul 3, 2015, 21:19 Jerykk

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 20:44:
Squirmer wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 19:02:
If you really think fixing the PC version isn't a priority, you're being a petulant baby. They pulled the PC version from sale, so they're passing up money every day they don't have it fixed. Of course it's a priority.

Bullshit, they've said on Twitter that there would be no DLC worked on until the PC version is fixed, and guess what? DLC released. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Rocksteady isn't working on this DLC. WB Montreal is. WB Montreal very likely started working on the DLC before AK was released. Rocksteady is very likely working on fixing the PC issues right now.

6. Re: Batman Console DLC This Month Jul 3, 2015, 16:13 Jerykk

The people working on DLC are primarily artists, designers and gameplay programmers. The people working on patches are primarily engine programmers. There's minimal overlap so working on one doesn't necessarily detract from the other.  

News Comments > Dead or Alive 5: Last Round PC PvP Features Still Missing
5. Re: Dead or Alive 5: Last Round PC PvP Features Still Missing Jul 1, 2015, 23:08 Jerykk

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 10:56:
More proof that Japanese companies need to hire help for PC ports.

What I don't understand is: what do they develop games on if not PCs? Why is a PC version of a game so hard to make when it's literally the only place they can assemble the game in the first place? This is a distinctly Japanese issue (AK being a recent exception), and feels like they refuse to do anything other than stumble blindly through the process. They even have the balls to put a premium price on it.

They write the code and create the assets on PC but they design those things for consoles. The platform used to create said things is largely irrelevant.

News Comments > WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced
6. Re: WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced Jun 30, 2015, 12:27 Jerykk

WB Games Montreal != Rocksteady. Two entirely different studios. I'm pretty sure WB Games Montreal is working on a Suicide Squad game.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Chris Avellone Stretch Goal
8. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Chris Avellone Stretch Goal Jun 29, 2015, 23:27 Jerykk

Fion wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 15:14:
So he's leaving Torment: ToN early too? Damnit Chris!

What? He's already finished his work on ToN. He just wrote one of the companions.

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo