Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14357 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
55. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 03:00 Jerykk

I'm not making excuses, I'm making predictions based on Bethesda's history of RPGs.

And again, mods aren't just about improving graphics. UI is a major area where Bethesda fails every time, as is game balance and bugs. Those three issues wouldn't magically disappear if Fallout 4 used id Tech 5 or 6.

Also, for a game of Fallout's scope (which is far greater than DA:I's), switching to a new engine and rewriting all the systems and tools used for dialogue, quest design, AI, physics, UI, audio, etc, would not be trivial and would push the game back for at least a year. And even then, it might not support mods which are needed to address the inevitable design-related (not engine-related) issues that Bethesda RPGs always have. Sticking with Gamebryo allows Bethesda to iterate and improve upon the systems and tools they've already built, as opposed to simply trying to make them functional.

Finally, id Tech 5 is pretty broken. ATI users still have issues with it and texture streaming is still problematic, as are obscenely large file sizes due to hugely inefficient MegaTextures that look like ass up close. id Tech 5 is a total failure compared to UE4, Frostbite or pretty much any other engine out there. Your fixation on visuals is causing you to overlook the many other needs of development.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Next Spring
15. Re: Doom Next Spring Jun 15, 2015, 02:45 Jerykk

Executions seem pretty gimmicky and they really should have played this with M/KB so that they wouldn't need to pop up the weapon wheel every 5 seconds. Weapons also felt strangely unsatisfying.  

53. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 02:17 Jerykk

Ideally, Bethesda RPGs wouldn't need mods. But they do, so I'm glad that FO4 is going to use a mod-friendly engine that modders can quickly start working with.  

51. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 02:02 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:35:
It didn't matter if the landscapes in RAGE were accessible or not, they were there, just cause the game puts up an invisible wall doesn't mean that those areas weren't being rendered, and could just as easily be accessible. Tech 5 was visually stunning. To have non tiled textures everywhere meant that the artists could just go buckwild and paint whatever they wanted, wherever they wanted. I'm very sad that it never took off (technical reasons, it was built for last-gen consoles almost exclusively afterall).

And i'm surprised to hear you say that the new DOOM visuals didn't impress, i thought that they looked a full generation better than FO4's visuals. Still not as impressive as other things i've seen, but the dynamic lights, the particle effects, the tesselation, the super high-poly models, the very intense shaders... all were way more visually impressive than FO4 by a very wide margin. almost incompatible.

also, I don't care about mods. keeping mods around is because the developers are lazy and won't put the effort into actually making the game look like it's made in 2015, they'll let their unpaid fans do that work for them. it's a good racket. Did you ever see the optional "ultra high rez" texturepack for PC for skyrim? it was a joke. they develop for consoles. the PC's modding crowd are %100 responsible for making skyrim a beauty to behold.

I feel like you didn't actually play RAGE. Sure, it looked good from a distance but get up close and things looked awful. TNO fixed this for the most part but at the cost of requiring 40 gigs, which is ludicrous for a linear corridor shooter. Imagine how obscenely huge an open-world RPG would be if it used id Tech 5. I'll take Gamebryo, thanks.

As for mods, I can't believe you're actually arguing against them. We already know that Bethesda sucks at various things. Some can't be fixed by mods (writing, quest design). Others can (bugs, UI, balance, textures, particles, etc). Removing mod support wouldn't result in a better game. It would just result in a game that can't be fixed.

47. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:30 Jerykk

Of much greater concern than visuals is the apparent lack of skills in the game. During the character creation, there were only attributes. No skills. Not sure if they just skipped the skills for the demo or if the skill system has been removed entirely, but given the changes to the dialogue system, I wouldn't be surprised if the skill system is a thing of the past.  

46. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:26 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:11:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 01:05:
Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:43:
and silly me, i overlooked your main argument, that an engine like BF4's just can't handle stuff like quests, inventories, RPG stuff etc etc etc.

Dragon Age: Inquisition uses Frostbite 3 engine, same as BF4.

*check

also, the fact that they advertised ID's Tech 6(66) engine RIGHT before the FO4 presentation is just a further slap in the face. How gorgeous that engine looked, and they OWN it. lol. and don't say that doom is a corridor shooter, it's apples and oranges, the engine's designed for different things.

need i remind you of RAGE? which ran on ID's Tech 5 engine? and if you squint looks like almost an IDENTICAL world as the Fallout universe? vast post-apocalyptic landscapes?

*mate

If id Tech 6 is anything like the previous iteration, then Fallout 4 would require approximately 5 TB of disk space because MegaTextures. Also, are there any mods for id Tech 5 games? I'm pretty sure id Tech 6 won't be mod-friendly.

I'm glad Bethesda is sticking with Gamebryo. Mods have always been essential for their RPGs and FO4 will be no different. There will be mods that improve textures, meshes, animations, particles, etc, in addition to fixing the UI, improving game balance and adding much-needed features. It's a good trade-off.

On a side note, saying that FO4 is virtually identical to FO3 is pretty silly. The lighting in FO4 is way, way better and the textures are obviously higher-res. You really need to go back and replay FO3.

the textures are marginally higher rez. look at the scene I keep linking, does that look high-rez to you? and yes it looks marginally better than FO3, but these are tacked-on improvements to a decaying engine. they're putting a new coat of paint on a house that's falling apart. The nuts and bolts of the engine are still ooooold. and as with DA:I it's been shown loud and clear that in 2015 you CAN make a videogame with an engine that's been made in the last 5 years, and your game won't just fall apart when you open the box.

And why would ID tech 5 require 5TB of data? did you play RAGE? those were some HUUUUGE open landscapes. Also, it seemed to be good enough for the xbox360 and ps3, so why not ps4 and xbone with FO4? this argument makes no sense.

The landscapes in RAGE weren't that big and were mostly inaccessible. The areas you did have access to were pretty small and barren. In addition, textures were god awful up close. Worse than Oblivion's. Hell, maybe even worse than Morrowind's. There is really no reason why RAGE should require 24 gigs of space. There's definitely no reason why W:TNO, a linear corridor shooter, should require 44 gigs. Point is, id Tech 5 is an awful engine and I doubt id Tech 6 will be very different. The new Doom demo certainly didn't impress with its visuals and will probably require 80 gigs of space.

And most importantly, are there any mods for games that use id Tech 5?

36. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 01:05 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:43:
and silly me, i overlooked your main argument, that an engine like BF4's just can't handle stuff like quests, inventories, RPG stuff etc etc etc.

Dragon Age: Inquisition uses Frostbite 3 engine, same as BF4.

*check

also, the fact that they advertised ID's Tech 6(66) engine RIGHT before the FO4 presentation is just a further slap in the face. How gorgeous that engine looked, and they OWN it. lol. and don't say that doom is a corridor shooter, it's apples and oranges, the engine's designed for different things.

need i remind you of RAGE? which ran on ID's Tech 5 engine? and if you squint looks like almost an IDENTICAL world as the Fallout universe? vast post-apocalyptic landscapes?

*mate

If id Tech 6 is anything like the previous iteration, then Fallout 4 would require approximately 5 TB of disk space because MegaTextures. Also, are there any mods for id Tech 5 games? I'm pretty sure id Tech 6 won't be mod-friendly.

I'm glad Bethesda is sticking with Gamebryo. Mods have always been essential for their RPGs and FO4 will be no different. There will be mods that improve textures, meshes, animations, particles, etc, in addition to fixing the UI, improving game balance and adding much-needed features. It's a good trade-off.

On a side note, saying that FO4 is virtually identical to FO3 is pretty silly. The lighting in FO4 is way, way better and the textures are obviously higher-res. You really need to go back and replay FO3.

12. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:49 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 23:47:
Super Excited about this. That looks so awesome. And they were showing off the Xbox version of the game. so you can imaging how much nicer the PC version will look.

I'm defiantly buying the Collectors. gotta get hat PiP Boy.

Pretty sure they were just playing the PC version with an Xbox controller. 99% of E3 presentations use the PC version, even when the game isn't coming out for PC.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Announced
5. Re: Dishonored 2 Announced Jun 14, 2015, 23:43 Jerykk

Would have preferred actual gameplay but still happy that a sequel is being made. Also great that you get to play as a female protagonist this time, though the ability to choose Corvo is a bit of a cop-out.  

8. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:40 Jerykk

New dialogue system looks like a major step back. Each option is mapped to a face button on a gamepad, so does that mean we'll never have more than 4 dialogue options at any given time? What about skill checks? Fully-voiced player character means less dialogue options too.

The Fallout series is defined by the ability to personalize your character and much of that came from dialogue options and skill checks. Granted, Bethesda has never been good at either of those but now the system itself is a limiting factor. Very disappointing.

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
22. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:32 Jerykk

shihonage wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 21:22:
Techie714 wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 13:48:
Sorry, but no matter how much you dislike the business practices of Bethesda (Zenimax) you have to give them credit for delivering some seriously rock solid games that most of us have spent HUNDREDS of hours in. I know I'll be spending at least 100+ hours in F4 & Dishonored was an OUTSTANDING game. Really looking forward to tonight's stream!

Well, that's because you haven't played enough games. When that point hits when you see The Matrix and all games just become blonde, brunette, redhead... you will want something new. Something more.

Something that is not a lifeless, poorly written, creatively bankrupt grind agonized into existence by bleary-eyed programmers whipped into a schedule by corporate management.

When that happens, call me, I'll fly out on my jetpack, we'll hang out.

You might be the only person in existence to accuse Dishonored of being lifeless, poorly written and creatively bankrupt.

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
20. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:13 Jerykk

Ravor wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 19:52:
Thought the game was good but I didn't think any of the skills where really well planned, none of them really seemed to align around completing the game without killing anyone, which I found to be disappointing. Other then that, 8/10.

What? Blink, Bend Time, Dark Vision, Possession and Agility were all super useful for being stealthy and evading enemies. I beat the game without killing anyone (and without neutralizing almost anyone) and those were the abilities I used.

Does anyone actually know the console-to-PC ratio for SKyrim sales.

According to SteamSpy, about 8 million people own Skyrim on PC. I doubt the console versions sold much more than that.

Rock solid? Hardly. If it wasn't for the fact that they allow modding of their games they'd have been toast long ago.

I think you're severely overestimating the impact of modding on sales. Bethesda could abandon PC completely and they'd still sell millions of ES and FO games. Modding is awesome and I can't imagine playing a Bethesda RPG without it, but I'm not going to pretend that my personal opinion is representative of consumers as a whole.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2015, 21:19.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer
8. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer Jun 13, 2015, 17:45 Jerykk

Looks good from a technical standpoint but looks like it obscures gameplay too. Black Flag also had Nvidia smoke effects and you basically couldn't see anything when you used your pistols.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 13, 2015, 04:25 Jerykk

I thought FC4 was great. Improved upon FC3 in every way. Better missions, better vehicles, better animals, better weapons, better AI, better towers, better world-building, better characters and better story. Granted, the world wasn't nearly as fleshed out or interesting as an RPG's but for a shooter, it was well-done.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 12, 2015, 00:30 Jerykk

Very surprised to see such high GOG numbers, even with GOG keys being bundled with videocards. Figured Steam would be at least 70% of PC sales.

Good news for GOG. Now they just need to flesh out Galaxy and add some much-needed features like cloud saves and Steam overlay compatibility.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
63. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 11, 2015, 23:40 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 08:48:
You are wrong, I never said "Divinity has sold more units because it's a better game" Nor did I say anything about Pillars being a failure. You just wasted a ton of your life googling dumb shit that don't matter.

I said Pillars was a good game, and I said better games get better attention for longer. And the subject was length of time on steam charts.

So... you claim you never said that Divinity sold more because it's a better a game, but you did say that Divinity got more attention because better games get more attention. Do you not see the inherent contradiction there? Probably not, actually. I don't think you've put a lot of thought into this.

As for googling facts to help establish the truth, I don't really see that as a waste of time. Apparently you can't be bothered which is why your argument isn't holding up too well.

On a side note, you probably shouldn't criticize others for wasting time when you're arguing on an internet forum.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Announced
16. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Announced Jun 11, 2015, 23:22 Jerykk

Really hope the press release was just poorly phrased and that the game hasn't turned into a glorified dungeon crawl. Procedurally-generated levels tend to feel generic and forgettable and will never be an effective replacement for lovingly handcrafted levels.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
1. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 11, 2015, 23:20 Jerykk

Jetpack? Check.
Rocket launcher? Check.

Yeah, I think I know who my character is going to be. I'm loving the gameplay diversity in Overwatch. Not very common in shooters these days.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2015, 00:33.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Teased
8. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Teased Jun 11, 2015, 00:00 Jerykk

Nice. I was worried that the first game didn't sell well enough to justify a sequel but it looks like it did. If they improve the gunplay and level design, it should be great.  

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
58. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 23:29 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 13:20:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 12:42:
Your reading comprehension is lacking. "Pays homage" is not the same as "from the makers of." If you watch the Kickstarter video, they actually give themselves credit for a bunch of RPGs but BG is not among them.

Uuhh... so you are illiterate then? Why did you skip the second paragraph where they clearly state "Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making" and "At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games".

Seriously, I'm speechless at your lack of reading comprehension and your profound lack of ability to process information. Then you claiming to "offer facts" (more like grade A bullshit) while ignoring REAL facts presented to you is simply cute at this point.

Again demonstrating your probably intentional lack of reading comprehension. Go back and read your quotes again. At no point did Obsidian claim that they worked on Baldur's Gate. They said "we have the people responsible for many of those classic games." Not all, just many. That's an accurate statement. They have staff that worked on the Fallout games and the Icewind Dale games and Planescape Torment and Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil. Just not Baldur's Gate, which is why they didn't include it in the video when listing the games they actually worked on.

I'm pretty sure you're just being intentionally dense at this point. When you claimed that Obsidian's name holds legendary historic value amongst mainstream gamers, that was a pretty obvious tell.

The facts speak for themselves which isn't very important depending on how they are taken in. It was your "IWD re-release poor sales means BG fans aren't around" that made me realize you were getting desperate.

Firstly, I never claimed that the IWD remaster's lackluster sales meant that BG fans aren't around. I suggested that it proves that Obsidian's history doesn't hold value for most gamers. The BG remasters actually sold well, though that only proves that Bioware and/or the BG franchise still hold value. BG was always the most successful and most well-known of the IE games and Bioware has a released a lot of modern hits so this is no surprise.

Secondly, you're still ignoring the facts that undermine your argument. You claim that Divinity has sold more units because it's a better game. Let's look at the facts:
- PoE has a MC critic score of 90 while D:OS has a score of 87.
- PoE has a MC user score of 84 while D:OS has a score of 87.
- PoE has a higher peak concurrent player count than D:OS (almost double).
- PoE has a higher active player count than D:OS.
- D:OS was featured in the first daily deal of the 2014 Steam Summer sale and officially launched on the last day.
- PoE hasn't been a part of any Steam sale.
- D:OS sold 500k total over the span of two months while PoE has sold 370k on Steam within two months. There are no figures for PoE's non-Steam sales.
- PoE has an average playtime of 32 hours while D:OS has an average playtime of 35 hours.

How you can look at this data and claim that PoE is a failure compared to D:OS just seems absurd. If anything, the facts suggest that both games share similar success. D:OS has more sales overall, but it's also been out a lot longer and has been part of multiple Steam sales.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2015, 23:58.

14357 Comments. 718 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo