Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13936 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
71. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2013, 02:52 Jerykk

So basically, you want an open-world, massively multiplayer co-op zombie survival game with no PvP. That could work, though I have to wonder how much threat zombies would pose in the long run.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 22:46 Jerykk

I'm just amazed that there are people out there who still don't own Skyrim.

Also, the community sales are really annoying. People always vote for games that have already had the exact same discount many times before. Even if I'm not interested in a particular game, I will vote for it if the discount is unprecedented.

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 19:09 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:15:
Just found a Reddit based Game Sales Wiki and sent to Blue!
Reddit Amazon Game Sales Wiki

Looks Skrim dlc will have to be a Flash to hit 75% or they kept it off the lists. Also hard to believe ea is still excluding dlc from ME, even though the series is on sale for $9.99 a couple of times.

Bioware DLC can only be purchased using Bioware Points and Bioware Points never go on sale. So... yeah, you won't be seeing any discounts on ME DLC anytime soon.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 03:18 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 02:12:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 01:00:
Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves.

As I already said...people have those types of survival games available to them already. Why are you against having other options for people that want something different, that's not largely a griefers paradise?

If you're proposing an entirely new game/genre, I'm okay with that. I thought you were talking about changing existing games like DayZ or Nether. What you're describing would be a very different experience, more akin to an MMO where the game's systems are explicitly designed to force cooperation and prevent griefing. Nothing inherently wrong with that but it's the exact opposite reason why people play games like DayZ.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 01:00 Jerykk

"Something that would be a lot of fun, is if a player loses their humanity with each player they kill, becoming weaker each time, eventually becoming a monster themselves and playing as that monster until they are killed. There would need to be more to it, providing a way for players to gain humanity by peacefully interacting with players, etc. "

That's essentially a morality system that punishes players for PvP. I don't think that would be a good solution at all. Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves. Arbitrarily rewarding or punishing players for specific actions undermines that and encourages a very specific playstyle.

As Redmask and I have mentioned, a deep crafting mechanic where you can build structures, items, vehicles, etc, would encourage cooperation naturally without punishing anyone. We've already seen this to an extent with the vehicles in DayZ (people working together to repair buses and helicopters). It just needs to be expanded upon. "Rust" is actually exploring that very idea. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 22:58 Jerykk

If you are ok with the PvP griefing and micro-transactions in these games, great. You've got several games to choose from to get that. There are plenty of people that are not interested in these things, and we'll choose to hold our money and game time until a survival game comes along that has some good game design for coop, but also allowing for meaningful PvP interaction.

I'd argue that DayZ already offers a compelling co-op survival experience with meaningful PvP interaction. If you cooperate with other players, you are more likely to survive. Solo players will always be an easier target than groups of players. Some of the most memorable DayZ moments occur when people work together.

That said, I agree that there should be stronger incentives for players to work together beyond just survival. For example, the ability to build items and structures would help unify people towards a common goal and make trading a bigger part of the game. There wouldn't be any arbitrary restrictions (like requiring 8 people to build a specific structure). Instead, cooperation would emerge naturally as the result of the game's systems. A player could theoretically build a fort by himself but collecting all the necessary resources and then defending himself during construction would be made significantly faster and easier by working with other players.

News Comments > On Sale
38. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2013, 20:14 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 12:17:
Quboid wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 11:51:
You don't have to respect his opinion but you do have to recognise that it is his opinion.

You can be disappointed with the sales while recognizing that there are good sales, just not for things you personally want. 'The sales suck this year' is different from saying 'There are some good sales this year but not for anything I want' or 'the sales suck this year because i own most of the things and dont see a lot of new sales'. When you make a subjective comment it sort of helps if you explain it a bit. I can recognize his opinion while also thinking its stupid.

This. Opinions are fine as long as they are logical and informed by facts. Claiming that these sales suck despite the fact that there have been many unprecedented discounts is not a reasonable opinion.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
10. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 22, 2013, 20:02 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 11:06:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:18:
I would definitely like to see more interactivity in the world, though. There are tons of items (like chests) that you can't interact with in any way. It makes the thief skills less appealing. It would also be nice to be able to talk to every NPC, even if they just have barks instead of dialogue trees. It would help flesh out the world and lore.

You just added five years of development.

To be fair, it's probably going to take another five years anyway. They really need to launch a Kickstarter or something so they can hire more people and finish the game before 2050.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 20:00 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 19:36:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 18:52:
The problem with DayZ type games is the non stop player griefing. Just takes everything that is supposed to be fun out of it.

The threat of humans is the whole reason to play, the zombies are trivialized once you adjust. You can't remove that tension from the gameplay, the potential for PvP and cooperation are why people play in the first place instead of just picking up a single player zombie game. Build up a community of people and kill the griefers or just learn the ins and outs so you know how to avoid them.

This. If you arbitrarily limit PvP, you ruin the very thing that makes DayZ and its ilk compelling.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 16:02 Jerykk

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:28:
Krovven wrote on Dec 22, 2013, 14:13:
Don't buy Nether...incase you missed it the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIWLJIG-sk

Awesome, I was looking to see if TotalBiscuit did a WTF is... video but didn't find any so this is a great find.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be so quick to trust that review. For one, the guy clearly doesn't like the genre. He complains about DayZ as well and criticizes the fact that PvP is so prominent in these types of games.

Secondly, I don't think Nether is a reskin of WarZ. There are similarities, sure, but there are also similarities between WarZ and Dayz. That's typically what happens when games share the same genre.

Don't get me wrong, Nether may very well be a shitty game but the guy in that video doesn't seem like the most impartial reviewer.

News Comments > On Sale
37. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2013, 04:13 Jerykk

I don't think you can make a game like DayZ without griefing. The whole appeal of DayZ is its freedom. No arbitrary rules or restrictions. Removing PvP or limiting it to certain areas would ruin that. Humans are and always will be the biggest threat in a post-apocalyptic scenario. The interactions between survivors are what make zombie fiction interesting.

I do think that these games need to offer more incentives for players to cooperate and not just kill each other on sight. I think the ability to craft things and build structures would help provide that. Trying to clear out and then build fortifications to secure a town by yourself is essentially impossible. But a group of players working together could do it if the game provided the necessary systems.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM Next Month
7. Re: CONSORTIUM Next Month Dec 21, 2013, 22:17 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 22:26:
Krovven wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 19:42:
Yea, don't want to release when people are looking to spend their money...

While that's true, the entire front page of Steam is dedicated to the sale, so there's little to no chance for Consortium to get noticed.

Plus, trying to sell your game full price (I think they're targeting 20 bucks) when that same 20 bucks gets people things like Arkham Origins... I dunno. It doesn't seem like the smart time to release a non-AAA, non-marketed game.

I'd argue that debuting your game with a nice sale is a great way to get exposure. Metal Gear Rising did that very same thing. It debuted as a daily deal for 33% off. If Consortium did the same thing, it would get a lot of attention.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 20:43 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 19:16:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 17:48:
Krovven wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 14:33:
XCom EW $15, Lego Marvel Superheroes $12, Wolf Among Us $16.75, Sleeping Dogs $5, FarCry 3 $7.50...cheapest any of them have been, a couple have been this price before.

That's just a sampling. People complaining that sale prices aren't good enough, are idiots. I need to stop viewing Cutters posts to see what people are responding to, when I have him ignored for a reason.

Nothing you want, that you don't already have? First world problems.

Agreed. The lack of objectivity some people display is astounding. The quality of a sale is determined by both the extent of its discounts and the amount of unprecedented discounts. There have been plenty of both in these holiday sales across all sites.

If you're agreeing with that tool than you're just as bad as he is. How dumb are you? This is entirely about personal tastes and personal ideas about what constitute value, and those are subjective.

If you believe that the entire world revolves around you, then sure. However, it is possible to have an opinion that isn't exclusively informed by your own narrow viewpoint and bias. Opinions should be informed by logic and reason. For example, I haven't bought much in these sales because I already had most of what I want. However, I'm able to recognize that a lot of these games have never been this cheap before and that many games, regardless of my interest in them, have been discounted for the very first time during these sales. As such, it's unreasonable to claim that these sales have been worthless when these quantifiable factors are taken into consideration.

News Comments > Age of Decadence Updated Demo
5. Re: Age of Decadence Updated Demo Dec 21, 2013, 19:18 Jerykk

I'm enjoying the demo. You really have to specialize, though, otherwise you won't stand a chance. This isn't like Skyrim where you can make a mage thief assassin archer fighter merchant healer alchemist blacksmith and be a master of everything.

I would definitely like to see more interactivity in the world, though. There are tons of items (like chests) that you can't interact with in any way. It makes the thief skills less appealing. It would also be nice to be able to talk to every NPC, even if they just have barks instead of dialogue trees. It would help flesh out the world and lore.

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 19:11 Jerykk

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 21, 2013, 18:00:
XCom EW $15, Lego Marvel Superheroes $12, Wolf Among Us $16.75, Sleeping Dogs $5, FarCry 3 $7.50...cheapest any of them have been, a couple have been this price before.

That's just a sampling. People complaining that sale prices aren't good enough, are idiots. I need to stop viewing Cutters posts to see what people are responding to, when I have him ignored for a reason.

I want to try Lego Marvel but I'm waiting for it to go 50% off or better.

GMG is selling it for 50% off

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Dec 21, 2013, 17:48 Jerykk

Agreed. The lack of objectivity some people display is astounding. The quality of a sale is determined by both the extent of its discounts and the amount of unprecedented discounts. There have been plenty of both in these holiday sales across all sites.

News Comments > Dying Light Nighttime Trailer
14. Re: Dying Light Nighttime Trailer Dec 19, 2013, 03:53 Jerykk

I'm not sure if you have any game development experience but I think you're severely underestimating how much work it takes to get games running decently on last-gen consoles. Optimizing code and downresing textures isn't going to make a high-end PC game work on a 7 year-old console. There's a reason why the vast majority of PC-to-console ports look and run terribly. Conversely, when you design for consoles, you don't have to worry about those issues when porting to PC. The PC will already benefit from higher resolutions, framerates, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, ambient occlusion and other driver-level features. Even if you don't modify any assets, the game will still look and run significantly better on PC. If you can make a good-looking console game first, the PC port will inevitably look and run even better with minimal effort.

Hell, just getting streaming to work well on consoles is a major hassle. Unless you require mandatory installs, console games have to stream data from the disc and last-gen consoles have really slow disc drives. If you're designing moderately sized levels, those levels will need to be split up into chunks for streaming purposes on consoles. Then you have to make sure that each chunk can stream in quickly enough that the player doesn't notice. If you can't do that, you have to find a way to block the player's progress until streaming is finished (this is why so many games have doors that take a few seconds to open). Redesigning levels and setting them up for streaming is not at all trivial.

So no, it really doesn't make sense to design for the high-end and then try to scale down. Optimization is not a simple task and the greater the gap between platforms, the harder it is to make a satisfactory experience on both platforms. You have to go through code and remove redundant or expensive operations (which often requires significant rewrites). You have to design levels that can be easily streamed behind the player's back. You have to design art that looks good while still fitting within tight memory constraints. You have to go through each level and simplify collision to reduce physics calculations. You have to make sure that player can never see so much that the GPU is forced to render more than it can handle at an acceptable speed.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
12. Re: Thief Trailer Dec 19, 2013, 03:14 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 18:42:
Nuhauser wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 17:59:
As far as this game being similar to Dishonored is concerned, of course it is. This is the game that Dishonored is based on.
To an extent, but Thief is all about sneaking, whereas Dishonored also takes from the Deus Ex philosophy of multiple playstyles (Spector's comment that DX is a swiss army knife, Thief is a scalpel).

Eidos has taken the Thief property but instead of focusing on sneaking, they've added combat options because they don't want to punish people who don't want to play like a thief. In a game called Thief.

Beyond the gameplay, it's also remarkable how many similarities there are in the story. Evil baron, plague ravishing a city, now this character in the trailer who has Granny Rags written all over her. Some of that might come with the territory of setting a game in a Victorian-like city, but even so... They had some really interesting Thief-specific lore with the Hammers and the Keepers and so on, and it sounds like they've ditched most of it and come up with something way less interesting.

You act like they're turning this into CoD or something. Yes, combat is easier than it was in the previous games (if you play on Normal difficulty). That doesn't mean the game encourages combat over stealth. In fact, there are difficulty mods you can apply that trigger fail states if you take any damage or are even detected. If you want to be stealthy but lack the discipline to do so without arbitrary restrictions, those difficulty mods should make your day. You even get points for each mod you apply and these points are used to rank you on a global leaderboard. So no, the game is still very much focused on sneaking around and stealing stuff.

As for the story, you don't really know enough about it to make any judgment. Yes, both Dishonored and Thief have an old lady character, except the one in Thief seems a lot less senile/crazy than the one in Dishonored. The wise old lady archetype was not invented by Dishonored.

I know I would be much more optimistic about this game if it wasn't called Thief. That said, I felt the same way leading up to the release of the Syndicate redo and look how that turned out.

Syndicate was not a bad game in and of itself. It was actually a pretty good FPS. The problem was that the previous games weren't FPSes so calling it "Syndicate" was a poor choice. That's not a problem here. The new Thief is still a stealth game where you sneak around and steal stuff. It is not an FPS, a brawler, an RPG, an RTS, a kart racer or any other genre. It is a stealth game.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2013, 03:21.

News Comments > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Date & Specs
6. Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Date & Specs Dec 19, 2013, 03:05 Jerykk

Wonder if the port will be any good. Japanese devs haven't had a really good track record in that regard as of late.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 03:54 Jerykk

Multiplatform games really need to be excluded from these platform-specific awards. What's the point of even having a platform-specific award when 90% of the nominees are also on other platforms?

That said, at least a PC-exclusive won the PC award.

13936 Comments. 697 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo