Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13958 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
36. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 05:45 Jerykk

It's amazing how important first impressions are. When Ubisoft debuted Blacklist with that stupid, action-packed E3 demo, people immediately assumed that Blacklist would just be another Conviction. Had they done more research or actually played the game, they would have realized that wasn't the case at all but by then, it was too late. Their opinions were already set in stone.

Thief's debut demo wasn't even remotely as bad as Blacklist's. They showed ONE headshot with an XP reward and people immediately called it CoD, despite the fact that the vast majority of the demo is spent sneaking past guards using the mechanics (shadows and noise) the Thief series is known for.

Should Square be doing a better job marketing Thief? Sure. The difficulty mods should have been revealed more prominently than they were and Square needs to show more gameplay in general. But even then, I doubt that the people who wrote the game off after the debut would even care. If self-proclaimed Thief fans can't even be bothered to read a Q&A about the newest game in the series, why would they bother to watch another trailer?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 02:10 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 22:29:
Jer, you're missing the point that these guys didn't understand Thief from the get-go. I seem to recall reading most of the team had never even played one of them. They were intent on fixing what wasn't broken to begin with. They wanted to "reboot" the franchise and turn into some slick consolized derp assassin game. Not using Steven Russel as Garret once again speaks volumes about it.

They removed jumping because they said they didn't want players making mistakes like falling off a roof because their idea of Garret was he was too uber for that to happen. Their idea. Not what the player wants or could be fun or interesting, but because it doesn't fit their vision of a game on rails. Arrows that can only be used in the same manner. And the list goes on and on.

They seem to have absolutely no clue as to why people loved the original games. Further, they don't seem to even care. So yeah, the red flags are going off all over for a myriad of reasons. It'll probably be well received by console kids who have never played the originals and therefore have no idea what they're missing. For the rest of us it'll be a miracle if the game doesn't suck balls entirely.

Where did you read that most of the devs never played a Thief game? And what does voice acting have to do with design? How do you know that they didn't make an offer to Russel? How do you know that he didn't turn down the offer? How does the voice actor even really matter when the character's writing is still faithful to the original and the new voice actor sounds remarkably similar to the old one?

What I see are a bunch of overblown criticisms based on limited information and unfounded assumptions. They haven't turned the game into Assassin's Creed. You can get through the game without killing anyone. In fact, you can get through the game without even knocking anybody out. You can get through the game without fighting, without forced confrontations and without using Focus mode.

You know how I know these things? Because I've actually done research on them. Everybody should read this: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Stealing-Time-Episode-4?theme=thief

It seems pretty clear to me that they know exactly what fans like about the series. The difference is that this isn't the 90's anymore. Games are exponentially more expensive to make so you have to appeal to a broader audience if you want slick production values. They aren't making a new Thief game that will only appeal to Thief fans. No publisher would release a pure stealth game these days. However, it is entirely possible to make a game that appeals to stealth purists and more casual players as well. That's what the difficulty mods are for. You can make the experience as hardcore as you want.

If you want to play a Thief game where you can't even touch enemies, let alone incapacitate them, this game will let you do that. Just as before, the focus of the game is on sneaking around, hiding in shadows, using noise to distract enemies and stealing everything in sight. The systemic gameplay the series is known for is still there.

People have the dumbest complaints these days because they don't bother thinking rationally or doing any research on their own. It's like when people boycotted Splinter Cell Blacklist because they replaced Ironside. Don't get me wrong, Ironside was great and will be missed but the voice actor has literally zero impact on the gameplay itself. Conviction had Ironside and that didn't prevent it from being a terrible Splinter Cell game.

Will Thief be a good game? Maybe, maybe not. It will ultimately boil down to the quality of the AI and level design, the two most important elements of any stealth game. But based on the facts that have been revealed thus far, I'm not seeing any red flags.

26. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 22:06 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 21:33:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 20:21:
The Thief series has never been defined by emergent gameplay
Um that's exactly what it's been defined by.

Thief was never as much of a sim as Dishonored or DX to begin with.
Yes it was. "Simulation" does not mean "multiple play styles".

I guess you might think nu-thief might be a good game if you don't realize what made the series good in the first place.

I don't think you understand what emergent gameplay actually means. Emergent gameplay is gameplay that the designers never intended. What exactly can you do in any of the Thief games that the designers never intended? In DX, emergent gameplay was so prominent because the game offered so many systems and tools for the player to work with. You could use the strength aug to pick up and stack crates, then use the jump aug to climb up and reach places the designers didn't intend for you to go. Or you could use LAMs to climb up walls. None of the Thief games ever offered this degree of emergent gameplay. If you used the rope arrow to reach higher ground, it's only because the designers allowed you to use rope arrows by placing wooden surfaces in certain places. If you know of genuinely emergent gameplay in a Thief game, please do share. And if you actually believe that the designers never intended for players to use noise to distract enemies, you are sorely mistaken.

As for the definition of "simulation," a simulation relies on systemic interactions to drive the gameplay experience. In Thief, these interactions were primarily between AI, sound and light/shadow. Everything I've seen of the new Thief (aside from the occasional set-pieces that don't accurately represent the game as a whole) shows that these systems are still the driving force of the gameplay.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2014, 22:23.

21. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 20:32 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:45:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:17:
Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:57:
Nixxes do have a decent record. I'm afraid this will be a shitty game.

Why? Focus mode is optional and can be completely disabled via difficulty mods. QTEs and the XP system have been removed. Manual jumping has been replaced with an automated traversal system which should still be able to get you where you need to go. Rope arrows only work on certain areas, just like the previous games where they only worked on strategically placed wooden surfaces. Combat is easier than in the previous games, assuming you play on Easy difficulty and don't use any of the difficulty mods that basically make combat impossible.

I seriously don't understand the hate this game receives. I assume much of it stems from reactionary criticism that people take at face value without bothering to do any research themselves. The exact same thing happened with DX:HR which ended up being a great game.

Why were they stupid enough to put QTEs and XP messages in in the first place? If their judgement on what makes a good Thief game was that bad, I expect there will be other mistakes.

I don't know about the automated traversal system but from the name, it sounds like a hold-one-button-to-win mechanism, a glorified QTE. I don't want automated traversal thanks, I want to play the game I'm playing.

I'm not writing the game off but fixing ridiculous design decisions only goes some way to putting me at ease. I didn't think DX:HR would be good yet it was, but I thought Hitman: Absolution would be good but IMHO it so, so wasn't. I hope this surprises me.

Modern game development means appealing to as broad an audience as possible. Publishers demand it. If a mechanic is perceived as popular (like XP systems or QTEs), publishers will insist on their inclusion. The devs complied but when they got enough feedback to prove that people didn't want those things in a Thief game, they were able to push back against Square.

As for automated traversal, Thief isn't a platformer. It's a stealth game. If the game had automated stealth, then that would be a press-A-to-win situation. Thankfully, it doesn't have automated stealth.

20. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 20:21 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:46:
They've removed some egregious "features", but they removed them late in its development, and the rest of the game will still be designed around them (like level design etc). I don't think they've removed the "escape sequences" either, like running out of a burning and collapsing building, probably accompanied by cinematic cutscenes. Not very Thief-like.

The restriction of jumping is a big deal. The Thief games are immersive sims, and that immersive style is really hampered if you restrict player actions like that. Especially in a stealth game. Imagine jumping up on some crates to avoid some passing guards; well now you can only do that if the level designers have specifically coded that as a possible action. It's a radical restriction of moment-to-moment player agency, and harms that immersive quality because you're unable to do something that, logically, you should be able to.

Compare that with Dishonored, which did actually follow the immersive sim ethos. The level designers in Dishonored routinely went back and altered levels to cater for player creativity as testers found news ways to traverse the maps in ways the designers didn't anticipate. I remember a great interview with the Dishonored devs where they talked about players combining their abilities creatively:

Interviewer: "Doesn't that break the game?"
Raph Colantonio: "That's the point."

They got it. Immersive sims are all about enabling player actions within the rules of the simulation. This new Thief seems to be all about restricting it in the interest of their preferred "experience". That's why it's not a Thief game.

The game wasn't designed around XP or QTEs. The XP system was originally implemented because every game has an XP system these days and they are almost always tacked on for the sake of being there. Thief already had a progression mechanic in the form of arrows, items and upgrades you buy so the XP system was redundant. Hence the reason why they removed it. QTEs were not a primary game mechanic either and only occurred during specific cinematics. Their removal will not have any discernible impact on the game.

The burning building sequence is a set-piece. Yes, it is not very Thief-like but these days, marketing demands that every game has set-pieces. Thankfully, set-pieces are infrequent and almost never representative of the overall game experience. Splinter Cell Blacklist had some set-pieces too but those weren't enough to detract from the overalll quality of the game.

As for traversal, you're assuming that the new system will be very limited. From what I've seen and read, that's not the case. The Thief series has never been defined by emergent gameplay so I don't really see the lack of freeform jumping as being a significant issue. Thief was never as much of a sim as Dishonored or DX to begin with. It never offered the same amount of freedom because it was focused entirely on stealth, whereas the aforementioned titles offered equally viable combat and alternative solutions. As long as the new traversal system lets you go where you want to go (as all signs currently suggest), it should be a fine replacement for manual jumping.

If the level design in the new Thief is open-ended (as previews suggest) and the AI is sufficiently reactive, then it should be a good Thief game.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch
32. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Deathwatch Jan 18, 2014, 19:46 Jerykk

jimnms wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 18:47:
Panickd wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 19:17:
Fallout 3 was already recently patched to drop GFWL. I cant imagine Rockstar not eventually rolling something out for GTA IV to rid themselves of it.

The Steam version was rumored to have removed GFWL, but I have yet to see anything official on this. The latest patch for the disk version is still v1.7 from 2009.

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 21:22:
You've obviously never reinstalled Windows and then attempted to continue with a save from before the reinstall.

I've only played two games that made use of GFWL (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Grand Theft Auto IV) and lost all progress in both of them thanks to GFWL. I haven't played either game since that happened.

Fuck GFWL.

You probably used an online GFWL account. You do realize you can create an offline account and NEVER have to connect to GFWL. The save files are then stored in the game's directory instead of in the GFWL cloud save and buried somewhere in the appdata GFWL directory structure.

And yes, I have used saves from previous installs made on different machines for both Fallout 3 and GTA IV. I like to backup my save files after finishing games. Before I played through Fallout 3 GOTY with a new character, I loaded a save made from my first game of Fallout 3 into the GOTY so I could play through the DLC.

I kept my 100% complete saves from GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT which worked fine when I loaded them on GTA IV after building a new computer.

Unfortunately, you can't use DLC with offline accounts. Also, I think some games require online accounts.

15. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 19:17 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:57:
Nixxes do have a decent record. I'm afraid this will be a shitty game.

Why? Focus mode is optional and can be completely disabled via difficulty mods. QTEs and the XP system have been removed. Manual jumping has been replaced with an automated traversal system which should still be able to get you where you need to go. Rope arrows only work on certain areas, just like the previous games where they only worked on strategically placed wooden surfaces. Combat is easier than in the previous games, assuming you play on Easy difficulty and don't use any of the difficulty mods that basically make combat impossible.

I seriously don't understand the hate this game receives. I assume much of it stems from reactionary criticism that people take at face value without bothering to do any research themselves. The exact same thing happened with DX:HR which ended up being a great game.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who realizes that we're in a gaming crisis and we haven't seen the worst of it yet. The lack of high quality games that have come out lately and are coming out make me seriously consider dropping my gaming hobby.

You're not "realizing" anything. You just have extremely limited tastes and are only interested in games with big budgets. There are plenty of great games coming out these days. The following games are coming out (or have already come out) in 2014: Wasteland 2, Banner Saga, Divinity: Original Sin, Project Eternity, Broken Age, DayZ, Consortium, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Watch_Dogs, Thief, Dying Light, Men of War: Assault Squad 2, South Park: Stick of Truth, Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, Hotline Miami 2, The Division, The Witness, The Evil Within, Daylight, ESO, EQ Next, Evolve, Mad Max, Wolfenstein, Transistor, etc. If this is a gaming crisis, I shudder to think what an actual crisis would be like.

PC gamer has a pretty comprehensive list of upcoming PC games: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/04/the-best-pc-games-of-2014/

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2014, 19:30.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 16, 2014, 23:38 Jerykk

Tearing enemies apart with tentacles and dismembering/impaling them with thrown objects never gets old either. The story's pretty interesting too.  

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
15. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 16:16 Jerykk

Task wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 12:38:
"You will also be glad to hear that we have removed 47ís magic pockets. We believe thatís all we need to say about that subject."

Just remove panther and/or easy visions or least offer difficulty options to turn them off, mein gott!

... wait, what's this?

"the apex predator stalking his prey across the world"

Predator vision confirmed.

Absolution had options to disable the Psychic X-Ray Vision. If you played on Purist, it was disabled by default. In fact, almost every kind of assist was disabled.

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
7. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 12:27 Jerykk

Sounds like they've learned from their mistakes. Hopefully.  

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Jan 11, 2014, 22:14 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 08:50:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 03:19:
Automatically dismissing a game because it plays best with a gamepad is stupid. That's like automatically dismissing a space sim or flight sim because they play best with a flight stick or a racing game because it plays best with a wheel. Different genres play best with different controllers.

No, it's not stupid. This is just you being arrogant. For some people, it's a choice not to use a gamepad because some people don't like this kind of control and other people simply cannot use them because of a physical disability. Ever thought about that? No? Yeah, whatever. Let the spindoctoring begin. I won't read it, Jerryk. Kthxbye.

Then use the M/KB controls. Like I said, the game supports it. But don't be surprised when the controls suck.

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week
10. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 11, 2014, 03:22 Jerykk

Jensen wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 02:03:
I don't recall the Broken Age project ever running out of cash. Maybe you're thinking of Clang?

If you've watched the documentaries, they've shown how they've basically used up most of the backer funding already. As such, they're trying to supplement that funding by selling other games that they've recently acquired the rights to (Brutal Legend, Stacked, Costume Quest, etc) and by releasing the first half of Broken Age as Early Access on Steam.

I don't really have an issue with their plan as long as they can finish the game.

As for mismanagement, it's true that they should have planned the game better. They should have gone into the Kickstarter with pre-production already completed. However, even if they had done that work, they would have done so under the assumption that the game's budget would be about $350k. With the final funding being almost ten times that and with this being the first high-profile game Kickstarter, backer expectations were pretty high and they would not have been happy if DF had simply released the small and simplistic adventure game that they had originally planned.

For what it's worth, I think they've learned a lot from this. Their second Kickstarter (Massive Chalice) had a clear design and budget set from the very start and none of the feature creep that we've seen in other crowd-funded projects like Star Citizen.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2014, 03:35.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jan 11, 2014, 03:19 Jerykk

Brothers doesn't actually require a gamepad to play. There are M/KB controls. They're just terrible because the game was specifically designed to be played with a gamepad. And unlike some genres (such as shooters), there is literally no benefit to using M/KB in Brothers. You don't need to aim and you don't need hotkeys. What you do need is the range of motion that analog sticks provide, as well as the ability to easily move two characters at the same time (which the analog sticks also provide).

Automatically dismissing a game because it plays best with a gamepad is stupid. That's like automatically dismissing a space sim or flight sim because they play best with a flight stick or a racing game because it plays best with a wheel. Different genres play best with different controllers.

News Comments > New Hitman Absolution Mission
4. Re: New Hitman Absolution Mission Jan 9, 2014, 12:20 Jerykk

I'm not seeing this new Contract anywhere in the game.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Video Diary
16. Re: Alien: Isolation Video Diary Jan 9, 2014, 03:57 Jerykk

Shataan wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 01:40:
No offence, but you missed my point. In ANY Aliens game done before, there is always slow times filled with horror moments, and as well action times. JUST like the movies. Ya need both types of moments in a game to know and FEEL the real differences between them.

Ya can`t have too much slow, or too much action. Ya need a good blend between the 2. At any rate, we obviously won`t know till the fat lady sings as far as AI is concerned. But I can already see the writing on the wall.

I disagree. If I'm playing an action game, I play it for action. If you're forcing me to be stealthy or solve puzzles when I just want to kill stuff, that's irritating. Same applies to stealth games or platformers or horror games. I play certain genres for specific reasons. To assume that players enjoy gameplay that's irrelevant to your game's genre is folly.

In a horror game, you should never, ever feel empowered. If I can easily dispatch enemies, why should I ever fear them? The tension needs to be consistent. That's why action horror games aren't scary. The Suffering, Dead Space, Resident Evil, FEAR, Condemned... none of those games are scary because I know that I can deal with any enemy that comes my way.

From what I've seen and read, Isolation looks to be a breath of fresh air. There are tons of Aliens shooters. Tons. Last thing we need is another one. The original film has never been used as inspiration for any of the games and none of the games have attempted survival horror. This is the shot in the arm the series needs.

The AI is really the most important part here. If the AI becomes formulaic and predictable, then dealing with it will become a matter of routine. In a horror game, nothing should ever feel routine. Amnesia and Outlast suffered from that due to their heavily scripted encounters and predictable mechanics. Players need to be kept on their toes if you want to keep them scared.

On a side note... you loathe playing as a female? Really? Way to fulfill gamer stereotypes. And then to mention NOLF as if it's a bad thing? The NOLF games were awesome. Great writing and gameplay. If you seriously take issue with playing as a female character, you may be insecure about your sexuality.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2014, 04:07.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
46. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 8, 2014, 01:58 Jerykk

fiftykyu wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 23:28:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 19:22:
fiftykyu wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:50:
A game that combined Elder Scrolls style open world with Dark Souls style combat might be a lot of fun. Seems Bethesda have gone in the opposite direction since Morrowind, though. Got the impression Witcher 3 was going for that combination, i.e. player skill based instead of mash R1 to kill everything, but we'll see how it turns out...

You feel Morrowind was the epitome of player skill in combat in an Elder Scrolls game?

Ok, you got me. Thought it made sense in my head, but on the page it looks pretty confused. Afraid I'm mixing two separate combat things I'd love to see, i.e. no enemy scaling (Dark Souls fits here, plus Morrowind and many other games) and combat that's player-skill based. (Dark Souls fits here too but as you pointed out, Morrowind, welll... )

I guess one big problem with having combat player-skill based, though - what if the player sucks? If you can't beat the first boss, you're not going to tell all your friends to buy the game. For no reason at all I was reminded of this problem today, while playing Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

Skill-based gameplay undermines roleplaying. If skill matters more than stats, then roles become meaningless because players can do whatever they're good at.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Announced
49. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 23:39 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:00:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:38:
I'm sure Isolation will have a fair amount of scripting. That doesn't mean it'll be 100% scripted, though. The developers were apparently inspired by Slender, which has minimal scripting.

And that means nothing when the developers of Alien Isolation are Creative Assembly.

Dev studios usually have multiple teams working on different projects. I seriously doubt that the Total War team is working on this.

BTW, PC Gamer has a good preview of Isolation: PC Gamer preview. Seems pretty promising.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 01:55.

36. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 16:38 Jerykk

I'm sure Isolation will have a fair amount of scripting. That doesn't mean it'll be 100% scripted, though. The developers were apparently inspired by Slender, which has minimal scripting.  

34. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 16:26 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:20:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:09:
People were literally saying the exact same thing to A:CM previews. Just replace Alien with Aliens.

Except there have been countless shooters based on Aliens (space marines mowing down hordes of Xenomorphs). There's never been a survival horror game based on the original film.

And for good reason. It's fun in small bursts like in the first few hours of AvP1 and especially AvP2. But in order for it to work everything has to be scripted.
Gearbox did promise early on A:CM would be a tactical survival horror type game. What did we get? Don't get too excited yet.

Anyway, it's impossible for this game to be scary after how over-used the monster has become. Alien was scary because it was rarely seen and there was nothing else like it at the time. After the pathetic Alien Resurrection, AvP, and AvP:R movies followed by the weak AvP3 and disastrous A:CM is there a monster in any media more run into the ground?

They are decades too late for a game like this. And remember it's still Sega of AvP3 and A:CM and Creative Assembly of Rome 2 behind it.

I'd actually argue that an unscripted survival horror game would be much scarier than a scripted one. Heavily scripted horror games are predictable and often become formulaic. They feel like haunted houses rather than horrific survival experiences. As for how scary a Xenomorph actually is, I don't think it really matters. If it can easily kill you and you can't kill it, that's enough to instill fear in the player. It could be Barney and it still wouldn't matter.

31. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 16:09 Jerykk

People were literally saying the exact same thing to A:CM previews. Just replace Alien with Aliens.

Except there have been countless shooters based on Aliens (space marines mowing down hordes of Xenomorphs). There's never been a survival horror game based on the original film.

13958 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo