Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14507 (Ninja)
User ID 20715
User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: GOG introduced DRM to its shop Mar 3, 2015, 04:38 Jerykk
mag wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 12:58:
El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 05:13:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:07:
El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 00:23:
GOG has now fallen to censorship. With the introduction of the German website, they also introduced a geolock. Some games are no longer available for German GOG customers. Way to go, GOG! This cherry has officially been popped. So, thanks GOG, it's been nice. Don't call me, I will call you.

Wow, really? That's really disappointing...

Yes, it's unfortunately true. So, GOG games are still DRM free, but the shop is no longer. Geo-lock is the beginning of the end. Further down the road, expect them to turn into just another online games platform (JAOGP instead of GOG). G2A must be quite happy about that!

GOG wrote:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against and employees.

What do you guys want them to do? They're not a band of law-flouting activists; they're a company.

Hey! Don't bring logic or reason into this! GOG are a bunch of traitorous, backstabbing whores!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Bombshell Details & Trailer
15. Re: Bombshell Details & Trailer Mar 3, 2015, 04:30 Jerykk
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 01:00:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 23:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:33:
i fully expect this to get torn apart, game looks visually terrible......

i think it looks kewl! definitely not a game for everyone tho.

i was just thinking how blasted d3 got for visuals......being it a d3 clone and all....

What? How is this a Diablo clone? Bombshell is a twin-stick shooter. Diablo is an ARPG. The only similarity is the camera angle and the fact that you're killing stuff.
News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 3, 2015, 02:45 Jerykk
GOG could probably learn a thing from Valve about how to handle sales. This artificial scarcity thing doesn't really work because games either "sell out" too quickly (for good games) or too slowly (for bad games). As a consumer, I really don't want to check the GOG page every 30 seconds. It's much better to offer new time-limited deals at set intervals.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook Mar 3, 2015, 02:41 Jerykk
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:58:
Did they ever fix the PC tactical UI? At launch, it looked like they were trying to emulate controller sticks on the keyboard instead of, you know, clicking where you wanted someone to go.

You still click where you want party members to go in tactical mode. The reticule in the middle of the screen is a leftover from the console UI and doesn't actually do anything.
News Comments > Op Ed
109. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 23:09 Jerykk
Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 10:13:
I still don't get why advocating for improvement makes you an "SJW."

Julio, does anyone that wants better female representation get this label, or only ones with nerve to voice the opinion?

Advocating for improvement doesn't make you a SJW. Advocating for improvement by using dishonest or misleading methods makes you a SJW. For example, taking a gender-neutral feature, recording a video of that feature being used against female characters and then claiming that the feature was designed for the exploitation of women... that's what a SJW would do and it's what Sarkeesian does in many of her videos.

There are certainly plenty of valid examples of sexism in gaming (and popular culture in general). Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Killer is Dead, Japanese games in general... there's really no need to resort to misrepresentation. However, the more "examples" Sarkeesian can present, the more widespread she can make the issue appear. She does occasionally point out a few games that have balanced representations of women but these examples are almost always obscure indie games. She ignores high-profile games like The Last of Us, Bioshock, Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider, etc, or nitpicks them to find examples of poor representation while ignoring the obvious examples of good representation.

If her videos offered a much more balanced analysis of gender representation in gaming instead of focusing exclusively on the bad (often relying on misleading examples in the process), she wouldn't be getting such hostile reactions. Then again, those reactions have gained her a lot of press and media attention that she otherwise wouldn't have had. The other reason why people hate her is because she refuses to actually debate the topic. There are countless people with whom she could have an intelligent and civil debate yet she refuses. She no doubt realizes that her examples would be picked apart easily, therefore undermining her arguments as a whole.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2015, 23:18.
News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 20:56 Jerykk
Acleacius wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 20:40:
Anyone know if there any PvE only servers in H1Z1, i.e. no pvp kills? Just wondering dayz made the same mistake.

PvP is kind of the whole point of games like DayZ and H1Z1. It's the human interaction that creates the unique/bizarre situations that make these games memorable. Take that away and you're left with a really boring game because the zombies don't really pose a threat and are background noise more than anything else.
News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
29. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Mar 1, 2015, 17:43 Jerykk
TorchMaster wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 14:45:
XCom: Enemy Unknown lets you park your sniper at one end of the map and pick off targets at the other end.

Yes, XCom: Enemy Unknown did an excellent job of balancing weapons, each had strengths and weaknesses, such that using a varied squad was the best strategy.

I felt that Shadowrun: Dragonfall also didn't get weapon balance right. Enemies usually popped in too close for a sniper to be effective. Also for this reason I found that the shotgun outperformed automatic guns, pistols, and magic, but I only played through this game one time.

The key in Dragonfall was to keep enemies busy with a melee character so they couldn't get close to your sniper. Snipers were also great for initiating fights.
News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
7. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 17:41 Jerykk
Huh, wow, guess online co-op really is limited to RAID mode. That's pretty dumb. The lack of online co-op is way more offensive than the lack of local co-op IMO.  
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 17:37 Jerykk
Surprised to see Dragonball selling so well. Hopefully this means we'll see more PC support from Japanese publishers.  
News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
4. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 06:32 Jerykk
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:40:
One knew this was coming, so is online possible?

With this mod is this coop for the main game?

Yes, online co-op works fine. FOr some reason, publishers seem to think that PC gamers have no interest in local co-op so they often cut said feature from PC ports to reduce costs. I'm sure that was the case here and, as this mod proves, re-enabling the feature is relatively trivial. Capcom will most likely restore local co-op in a future patch.
27. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Mar 1, 2015, 06:24 Jerykk
Leper wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:53:
I don't really consider Wasteland 2 a modern turn based game. They did a lot with a limited budget, but is it really much different than Fallout:Tactics from over a decade ago? Valkyria Chronicles is something closer to what I'm envisioning. Basically that built for the PC, a more realistic post-apocalyptic setting, an open-world and less goofiness. I agree that it would require some resources and would be very tough to get right, though.

Wasteland 2 is supposed to be an homage to old-school CRPGs. It never claimed to be an evolution of the genre and nobody expected it to be. Also, more realism and less goofiness would make it less like Wasteland and more like DayZ.

For what it's worth, I thought WL2 was a good RPG. The weapon and skill balancing was pretty bad and the combat could have used more depth but the quest design was great and I loved how many choices were available to the player. The writing was solid, if not particularly memorable. There's definitely room for improvement if they ever make a third Wasteland but I was happy with WL2.
News Comments > Ascent Early Access Ascent
12. Re: Ascent Early Access Ascent Mar 1, 2015, 06:15 Jerykk
Rigs wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 01:36:
Ugh. Is this Unity? Because is sure does look like a lot of other games graphics-wise. And I'm not saying that every project has to have killer 'Crysis' level graphics out of the gate but seeing how the original Crysis is now nearly 8 years old, it couldn't hurt and wouldn't be all that hard to do. The Unity Engine is capable in the right hands. I get the whole gameplay over graphics thing, I do. And for some games it works wonders and is hardly an issue (like Minecraft, which runs like shit yet looks like something out of an Amiga). But just by going on what you see in the trailer video, it doesn't look that compelling. EVE does the same thing and that has some seriously pretty graphics. Hell, if they made it even the level of Freespace2 or Freelancer/Starlancer, I'd be ok with it. But I don't see those gameplay mechanics at work here, sorry to say. Maybe it's good and I might give it a go, just to say I tried it but I don't have high hopes.

You know, it's 2015 and this industry seems to have just given up on innovating. I want to be BLOWN AWAY like I used to be when I was younger. When I saw X: BTF for the first time or when I saw the previews for what the 'Ultra64' could do. Or when I went into an arcade and came out broke and wishing I had unlimited time and money to play those draw-dropping games inside. I want the industry that gave us the 3D Accelerator revolution! That was a magical time, back in the mid-90's. The gaming industry seems to be nothing like it's former self, just taking tiny steps, giving us the same thing over and over with maybe one thing just a tad bit better here and there. That makes me such a freakin' sad panda...

It's a lot easier to be impressed when you're young. It also helps if you grew up during a time of significant technological advancements (i.e. the 90's).
News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 05:11 Jerykk
I agree with Sarkeesian's general message. I would like to see more female diversity in games. That said, I can't agree with her methods. She intentionally misrepresents games in her examples in order to support her agenda. Watching her take a gender neutral feature and portray it as something designed to exploit women is incredibly aggravating. For example, in Hitman, you can strangle any NPC and drag his or her corpse around. So Sarkeesian records a video of 47 strangling a stripper and dragging her corpse around, then claims that the game sexualizes violence towards women, even though the feature was obviously not designed for that purpose and the game explicitly punishes you for using it in that manner. She pulls the same shit with other games too, including GTA, Sleeping Dogs, DX:HR, Dishonored, Just Cause 2, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.

Sarkeesian also completely ignores context when it undermines her argument. Do many games have strippers and/or prostitutes? Sure, but there's almost always a logical reason for their inclusion. If a game revolves around urban crime then the presence of strippers and prostitutes is completely understandable. Go to the shadier parts of any major city and you'll find plenty of both. Hell, it's their presence that helps establish the seediness of said areas. Hobos, vandalism, gang members, drug dealers, decrepit buildings, etc, are also commonly used to convey an area's seediness. Similarly, Sarkeesian complained about the presence of dead prostitutes in the Bioshock 2 brothel area. There are dead people all over Rapture. It only makes sense that most of the dead women in a Rapture brothel would be prostitutes.

Sarkeesian's dishonest arguments only hurt her otherwise reasonable message.
20. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 28, 2015, 04:21 Jerykk
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 00:12:
Looking forward to this patch, a 2nd Wasteland 2 playthrough is in the queue already, so I'll just wait a bit.

Assault rifles definitely were the strongest weapon, but sniper rifles/pistols/shotguns were all good. SMGs were barely tolerable, and Heavy Weapons were kind of a joke. Allow the full range of mods on ALL guns, like ARs get, and that'd be a good start to buffing the other gun categories.

Heavy Weapons still need a base damage buff though, in my opinion.

Energy Weapons could probably use a total rework... the damage model penalizes the 'end game' guns... bah it's been said before.

I'm looking forward to the Visual Upgrade patch though.

Pistols and SMGs were okay in the early game but worthless in the late game. AP costs were way too high for the damage done. Sniper rifles were okay but largely redundant, as assault rifles could be modded to have the same range and accuracy and do a ton more damage per turn thanks to burst-fire headshots. Energy weapons were good against enemies with heavy armor but worthless against enemies with low/no armor.

They really just need to do a complete balancing overhaul of the weapons. I'm really surprised they didn't notice these balancing issues while in Early Access as they're blatantly obvious during a single playthrough. Though, they didn't include California in the early access builds so I guess that explains why they didn't account for the late game.
14. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 27, 2015, 22:51 Jerykk
While this is cool, they really should have addressed some of the balancing issues by now. Assault Rifles are blatantly OP compared to all the other weapons and if you build a party where everyone is skilled with assault rifles, the game is cakewalk. Conversely, if your team consists of pistol, SMG or heavy weapon experts, you're basically screwed.  
News Comments > Ship Ahoy - République Remastered
6. Re: Ship Ahoy - République Remastered Feb 27, 2015, 03:39 Jerykk
Alamar wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:41:
I have no comments on the game(play), and I like Unity, and what Unity 5 is adding... But I don't understand why a very not graphically impressive game is making such a big deal about being the first Unity 5 released product...

Because it helps them gain publicity? Republique is featured on the front page of the Unity website. The game also looks better than most games that use Unity.
News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
26. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 12:25 Jerykk
Are there any benchmarks that prove that performance drops when over 3.5 gigs are used or are people just complaining for the sake of it?  
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 22:23 Jerykk
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 20:45:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 20:26:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 17:40:
Never really understood the point of playing against bots. If you're going to do that, why not just play an actual single-player game? It'll be a better experience in every way.

SP campaigns tend to be linear, scripted experiences, akin to "playing" a movie. Sometimes I just want to play an arena-style game, where I am in charge of the narrative myself:
- grab the Apache
- fly it to the enemy waypoint
- nuke all the enemy soldiers there
- parachute out and capture the waypoint
- defend it against enemy attempts to recapture.
- Game ends, and I can feel satisfied in my accomplishments.
I can do that with bots alone or with my brother without having to deal with all the crap that human beings I don't know throw out: invective, aim cheats, rage quitting, booting you if you kill too many people, etc.

In addition to what Prez and Aero said, this petition to get bots into BF4 sums things up pretty well.
1) They make multiplayer accesible for persons who dont play online (yes, many of these people still exist)
2) They allow a player to practice all of the game modes at any time with a full compliment of combatants.
3) They dont curse, cheat, complain, or leave the match when loosing.
4) They allow for a full game without any lag, slowdown, or dropout.
5) They provide great opponents Vs. teams of humans (once their difficulty is turned up).
6) They cause a game to have infinate replay value.
7) Even if we can only play alone (no Lan) with Bots, it would be a great opportunity to practise all of the vehicles. Online it is very hard to practise new types of vehicles.
I still remember the fun matches I've played in UT with/against bots. Feeling a bit tired tonight, reflexes aren't top notch, no worries lower the bot difficulty and just have some fun for 30 minutes to an hour. Let some steam out at the end of the day.
Feeling lucky? Let's fire up the online MP and see how it goes. Frustrating? No problem back to bot matches.
It was so nice to have options.

Online MP can be fun, but unless you play with friends, it is a total crap shoot.

Fair points. To me, the appeal of multiplayer comes from the unpredictability of human opponents and satisfaction of defeating them. Bots don't really provide this and if I want to fight AI, I'll just do it in a proper SP game that has interesting level design, story, etc.

But I can see how fighting against bots as a means of unwinding could be appealing.
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 17:40 Jerykk
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:37:
Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 14:02:
The Evolve guys should really look long and hard at their DLC fuckup. The game was riding the clouds pre-release. PR was doing a good job. Then the DLC announcement arrived with all of its bravado, and the reputation came down like a fat kid trippin'.

It's a shame.
The game is actually real fun.

Meh, there was a lot of skepticism even before the DLC fiasco regarding price, longevity, depth of play, repetition, griefing, "fun factor," etc.

I'll say this though, there's an offline play with bots (and coop with bots filling in) so I'll buy the GOTY version in a couple of years once all the DLC is included. Just don't see the point right now.

Never really understood the point of playing against bots. If you're going to do that, why not just play an actual single-player game? It'll be a better experience in every way.
News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 22, 2015, 17:33 Jerykk
They really need to put The Dark Mod on Steam with Workshop support.  
14507 Comments. 726 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

Blue's News logo