Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14009 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs in Q2
17. Re: Watch Dogs in Q2 Feb 11, 2014, 04:28 Jerykk

Being delayed for 6 months right before it was about to be released doesn't bode well for the game. Something must have been seriously wrong for Ubisoft to do that, especially considering it was supposed to be a launch title for the next-gen consoles and was even part of a PS4 bundle.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
3. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 10, 2014, 22:44 Jerykk

AC4 sells 10 million units and that's considered only "solid"? I wonder what their expectations were.  

News Comments > Arkham Origins Patch After DLC (If Ever)
24. Re: Arkham Origins Patch After DLC (If Ever) Feb 10, 2014, 12:30 Jerykk

Ouch. It would have almost been better if they simply hadn't said anything at all like most publishers. Acknowledging the existence of critical bugs and then declaring that they won't be fixed isn't going to make anyone happy, even if they're being honest.

Same here. Played the game with M/KB without ANY bugs whatsoever. The only "issue" I have with the game is that it's not as PERFECTLY solid as the first 2. Example: sometimes it took some angle adjusting before I managed to grapple from one gargoyle to the next.

Did you play the game after it was patched? Because pre-patch, the Burnley Tower Riddler puzzle was impossible to complete. This was a 100% consistent bug for everyone. If you tried the puzzle before they patched in a fix, you would have encountered the bug. That aside, I didn't encounter any other critical bugs, though I did see a bunch of minor ones.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
52. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 10, 2014, 03:54 Jerykk

Has CIC announced that Star Citizen won't be meeting it's original November 2014 release date? Because there's no way it's going to release this year after all the feature creep that's happened (and continues to happen). The dog fighting module hasn't even been released yet.  

48. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 19:24 Jerykk

If that is so then why are they not open and honest about it? Why not add a description to each stretch goal like... "The mega dungeon will now have at least 15 levels (+ 3 months development)".
It would be as simple as that.

Except it obviously isn't that simple, otherwise games wouldn't be delayed all the time. Game development is not a science. You cannot accurately predict exactly how long it will take to finish a game, let alone individual components of said game. Things don't always go as planned and sometimes you have to go back and redo things you once thought complete. Sometimes things take much longer than expected. Sometimes things just don't work out. Trying to provide an accurate release date before you've even finished preproduction is a waste of time.

The issue is not the release dates. The issue is not the delays. The issue is the complete lack of up front and honest adult-to-adult communication.

Given the fact that they've released 71 project updates so far detailing the development process, I'd say there's been plenty of upfront communication.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 19:08 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 15:48:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 14:55:
nin wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 13:51:
Wow, looking at the steam top sellers in the client, Thief is at 58! Car Mechanic Simulator is outselling it!

Maybe because it hasn't been out a full week yet? Or is that a daily measure?

Thief (are we talking about the remake?) is out? Whut? When?

Ah... it's only listed.. 2 weeks away till release and I didn't even know it's available for pre-order already... are they just not giving a shit PR wise or what is this.

The pre-order has been available for a while. It will likely pop up in the top 10 a few days before the game releases, as is typically the case for most pre-orders.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2014, 19:03 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 18:58:
If zombies are not threat, then isn't this just another twist on deathmatch? Open world Deathmatch.

For some players, yes. It's a sandbox game. If you want to go around killing other players on sight, you can do that. If you want to go around and give food and medicine to other players, you can do that too. If you want to go around and just kill zombies, that's another option.

38. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 06:10 Jerykk

Are people seriously complaining about not being immediately notified of delays? How long have you been playing games? 9 out of 10 games are delayed, indie or otherwise. When a Kickstarter asks for $1 million and gets $4 million as a result of stretch goals, are you really surprised when the expanded scope results in delays? At this point, you should expect games to be delayed by default.

And why do you even care so much about the release date? Do you plan your schedule around it? If the game is delayed, is your life significantly impacted? If not, why does it even matter?

News Comments > Dying Light Tease
18. Re: Dying Light Tease Feb 8, 2014, 20:14 Jerykk

I thought Dead Island was a lot of fun. When you played it solo, it felt very much like a survival horror experience (especially with those damn running zombies). The locational damage system was also done very well and was actually useful.

Dying Light looks like Dead Island + Mirror's Edge and that's a pretty great combination.

24. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 17:29 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:27:
My bone of contention is these KS' should be coming out with their original plan on schedule and the stretch goals as DLC/expansion stuff later on like Shadowrun is doing with the Berlin campaign. Most of these games all have editors and claim to be iterative enough to warrant several playthroughs so there's no reason not to do it that way.

Not sure why you're so obsessed with release dates. Sounds like you prefer the traditional publisher model where games are pushed out regardless of whether or not they're actually finished.

I'd rather have devs take as much time as they need to make their games great.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
138. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 8, 2014, 07:21 Jerykk

MyRealName wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 19:40:
The dreaded "You've lost your memory" trope is in this game; I didn't know that. So you've lost it, but you remember how to be a master thief well enough. And then there's the one about "Nothing is off limits." Yes, well, as long as it highlights blue, and you don't have to jump to get there. I remember in the old days when you had to be within reaching distance of something, and had to mouse over it, before it would frob-highlight. Now you just hit focus and everything within view that can be interacted with glows like a blue beacon? That's just not... good. How many more generations of games must pass before greed isn't the driving force, and we go back to the challenge aspect of gaming? How many before dumbing-down is seen as a bad thing?

One correction to a post about 6 pages back: The Dark Mod is for Doom 3*, not Unreal 3.

*And in fact, it doesn't even require Doom 3 anymore, as it has gone standalone.
http://www.thedarkmod.com

You can make the game as challenging as you want it to be

Max out the difficulty, turn off all the UI elements and turn on all the difficulty mods. Voila, hardest stealth game ever.

135. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 7, 2014, 00:34 Jerykk

We're both talking about the coming Thief game, yeah? For some reason you talk like you've already played the game and it's been out for a while in general. What mod are you talking about? You mean mod as in modification as in customization option in the difficulty settings? This or that, there's not much use of a mod if the game isn't balanced by itself regarding the loot and (xp)upgrades since you won't realize a possible imbalance until later in the game I think.

Difficulty mods

I think it's safe to assume that without any difficulty mods, the game will be fairly generous with the item and upgrade prices. Default difficulty is designed for casual gamers, after all. Difficulty mods, on the other hand, are designed specifically for hardcore gamers so I'm pretty sure they'll be substantial. With the increased pricing mod, I imagine that you won't be able to buy every upgrade or item even if you collect every piece of loot, making every piece of loot far more significant.

That aside, I typically don't end up buying anything in stealth games anyway. I play a minimalist ghost style where I don't neutralize anyone and try not to alter the environment in any way. As such, weapons and gadgets are generally pretty useless to me. I collect loot for the sake of collecting loot. In Thief, collecting loot is my primary objective.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2014, 02:31.

132. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 6, 2014, 12:30 Jerykk

Like I said, it can collapse the game. The game is primarily about stealth, in Thief's case mostly to pick locks, pick pockets, and just steal stuff while sneaking. Of course there's also the part of knocking down guards and following a story, but if the actual stealing of stuff really has no point...? I need not elaborate further, I do hope.

There are plenty of things you can buy with money and money is acquired by stealing loot. There's also a difficulty mod that makes everything significantly more expensive, meaning that stealing becomes all that much more important.

129. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 6, 2014, 00:19 Jerykk

Note that I said meaningful complexity. The features you cite do not make for moment to moment gameplay that is anymore complex. For example, one of the agreed upon design flaws of Deus Ex is that many of the skills, weapons, and augs are completely useless, see Environmental Training, the plasma gun, or the Targeting Aug, leading to a relative paucity of viable character builds. The basic division was stealth/infiltration build or combat build. In essence, you have two ways to play the game, each with significant overlap, leading to a fairly standard character build, where augs become less of the game changers you describe, and are more temporary powerups, like the invisibility or slowfall potions of Thief.

While certain skills and augs are certainly useless, others are not and determine how you deal with any given situation. For example, if I choose the Speed Enhancement aug instead of the Silent Running aug, I'll have more traversal options but fewer stealth options. If I choose Cloak instead of Radar Transparency, I'll have no problem sneaking past organic threats but much more trouble sneaking past electronic threats. Same applies to the skill system. Your options for any given problem are largely determined by your chosen skills and augs. The fact that there are multiple viable builds already gives the game more meaningful complexity than Thief.

Also, Environment Training isn't useless. It greatly increases the durability and longevity of Ballistic Armor which makes quite a difference if you're going for a combat build.

113. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 04:28 Jerykk

No, your reaction isn't abnormal. Most of the critics are taking a few relatively insignificant issues and blowing them way out of proportion, seemingly ignoring any facts or logic that contradict their reactionary viewpoint. This happened with DX:HR too.

Before DX:HR came out, critics claimed that it would be a travesty based on the following issues:

- Third-person camera cuts.
- Cover system.
- Multiplatform development.
- Interactive object highlighting.
- Yellow screen tint.
- Lack of manual melee attacks.
- Technology inconsistent with the original game.
- One-button takedowns.
- Removal of skill system.
- Less interactive environments.
- No locational player damage.
- Radar.
- Energy system.
- Hacking minigame.
- No lockpicks or multitools.
- XP rewards based on specific actions.
- No animals.
- No kids.
- No swimming.

Lo and behold, the game was released and turned out to be a great DX game despite those issues. I'm seeing the same thing with the new Thief, only with fewer specific issues cited:

- Focus mode means the game was dumbed down (even though it's completely optional and can even be disabled).
- You can kill people so therefore this is now CoD (even though killing people is completely optional and you could do it in the previous games).
- There are action-oriented setpieces so therefore the entire game must be action-oriented and scripted (even though setpieces comprise maybe 0.5% of the entire game).
- You can't manually jump so therefore the game must be completely linear and scripted with no player agency or systemic gameplay (even though most of the gameplay in the previous games had nothing to do with jumping).
- New voice actor means the developers don't understand Garrett and have ruined the character (even though voice acting has nothing to do with writing).

I think that covers it.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 04:34.

111. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 02:35 Jerykk

You're right, I haven't played DX in years. However, claiming that DX wasn't any more complex than Thief is ridiculous. It had the augmentation system (with multiple upgrades for each aug), the skill system, locational damage for both the player and enemies, more weapons (with stackable upgrades), more items, more character types and more interactive objects in the environment. You could jump off a building, turn on your leg aug and then kill someone by landing on them. You could stick mines to a wall and then use them to climb up said wall. You could pick up and throw a toxic barrel at a group of enemies and then turn on your environmental protection aug and beat them to death while they choke to death. You could even kill someone by throwing enough lockpicks at them because every item and object had mass and applied variable amounts of damage on impact.  

109. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 02:02 Jerykk

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:55:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:36:

Out of curiosity, how many crates could you pick up/throw/shoot in the previous Thief games? How many objects even had physics?

Pretty much all of them? Have you not played Thief or something? Secrets, both in official and fan missions, often depended upon clever crate stacking to find, and crates could often provide unintended ways of navigating levels. Frankly, it's rather bizarre that you're shit-talking Thief while holding DX as a pinnacle of design: every charge you leveled could just as easily be said of DX, i.e. you could put tools together in creative ways, but every tool was hand placed by the developer.

Huh, you're right. I totally forgot that there were some objects you could move in Thief. Probably because there was rarely any reason to.

As for DX, like I said before, its systems were far more complex than Thief's. Emergent gameplay is unintended gameplay that emerges from the interactions between systems. The more systems you have and the more complex these systems are, the greater the potential for emergent gameplay. You had augmentations which drastically changed gameplay and had multiple upgrades with varying implications. The leg augmentation that increased your movement speed, jump height and reduced fall damage made a huge difference in where you could go. Couple that with the strength aug and the wide variety of objects you could pick up and you have plenty of opportunities for emergent gameplay.

106. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 01:36 Jerykk

In a simulated environment, if you find a crate and you know your character can pick up/throw/shoot crates, you can put those systems together and influence the game world in a creative way. Compare that with the pre-baked animation of the falling crate in this trailer; everything in this game is tightly controlled by the designers, leading to a loss of player freedom. That result is inevitable. You cannot promote player freedom by pre-designing gameplay opportunities.

Out of curiosity, how many crates could you pick up/throw/shoot in the previous Thief games? How many objects even had physics?

We've had this discussion before. Thief's systems were never complex or flexible enough to provide truly emergent gameplay. Every crate, every window, every door, every candle, every wooden beam, every torch, every shadow, every NPC, every piece of loot... all these things were explicitly placed by the designers. If the designers didn't want you to go somewhere, there was no way you could go there. Unlike Thief, Deus Ex had plenty of emergent gameplay because it had more systems and those systems were far more flexible.

Your portrayal of the Thief series as the pinnacle of emergent gameplay is simply inaccurate. What's been shown of the new Thief looks just as systemic as the previous games. Buildings still have multiple entrances, the AI still reacts to sight and sound and you still use shadows to conceal yourself. The fact that you equate a scripted crate with the total removal of systemic gameplay is the epitome of reactionary nonsense. You know how you could open doors with keys in the original Thief? Or douse torches with your water arrows? Or lodge rope arrows into wooden beams (and only wooden beams)? THOSE WERE SCRIPTED INTERACTIONS. Just like shooting a hanging crate to make it drop.

On a side note, DX:HR didn't offer nearly as much emergent gameplay as the original DX yet it still turned out to be a great game. And unlike Thief, DX was very much defined by emergent gameplay.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 01:51.

98. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 23:42 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:00:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 18:49:
Now this has to be a Stealth Sim?
Considering it's called Thief, yeah. There are very few games that are actually pure stealth in a simulated environment, and it's a fucking crime that Eidos would pass up the opportunity to use this IP and make one. Instead we've got some hybrid abomination of Ass Creed and Dishonored made by people who don't seem to understand or care about what made Thief extraordinary to begin with.

If you don't want to fight, you don't have to fight. There are even difficulty mods that specifically make combat impossible. You can disable takedowns entirely and prohibit yourself from neutralizing anyone (even dogs and birds). You can even have the game trigger a fail state if you're detected or take any damage from any source. If you want a pure stealth experience, the game makes that possible.

Also, you act like the original Thief games were pure stealth. They weren't. You could go around shooting guards in the head with arrows or clubbing them with your Blackjack. Combat has always been an option in the Thief games. It just wasn't been a very good option because the combat sucked and stealth was way more enjoyable. I don't see the new Thief being any different in that regard. Ramp up the difficulty, apply the difficulty mods and voila, you have a genuinely pure stealth experience where combat is impossible and detection is an immediate fail state. You can even turn on iron man mode if you want the consequences of failure to be even more severe.

I'm not sure why I even bother with these arguments anymore. It's the same thing every time, whether it be DX:HR, SC: Blacklist, XCOM: EU or any other game that people shit on before release. Same illogical arguments based on unfounded assumptions and false correlations.

65. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 15:46 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 13:27:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:32:
No, they complained that you couldn't talk to NPCs in the street and that the houses you could rob didn't have inhabitants. Basically, they were complaining that the game isn't Skyrim. You could never talk to random pedestrians in any Thief game and most of the random houses and apartments you could rob did not have inhabitants. Same applies to Dishonored. You could talk to random NPCs in Dishonored but it seemed pretty silly, considering you were a wanted fugitive wearing a creepy metal skull mask.

Jerykk, the guy detailed sneaking into a brothel then causing a commotion, running from guards and barging into a bedroom with a couple having sex and no reaction from them. They kept on going. They didn't yell or alert the guards.

It's more than not being able to talk to people. He's saying most people don't react to you unless they are guards no matter what weird stuff you do.

I have my doubts about that report. The scene in question takes place in a brothel where nobles and rich people like to attend. As such, it wouldn't surprise me if the NPCs were smoking opium, thus explaining their nonchalant response to Garrett. That, or he was actually in a shadow. If neither case is true, then yes, there's cause for concern.

There's a walkthrough of a mansion level where servants are all about and they definitely react to the player.

Really the best they could hope for is being equivalent to Splinter Cell: Blacklist- a reboot that captures none of the same charm of the original, but is fun in a completely different way, and should have had a different title.

Unfortunately they're on pace to be another Hitman: Absolution- a semi-reboot with completely different mechanics that is very pretty but not at all fun, that should have had a different title.

I don't understand this logic at all. The core mechanics of the new Thief are the same as in the previous games. You hide in shadows, you avoid making noise, you steal stuff. You act like they're turning this into CoD or something. Same applies to Blacklist. Blacklist is way better than the original SC. In fact, it's better than every SC other than Chaos Theory. As with the new Thief, the core mechanics remain intact. Hide in shadows or behind cover, avoid making noise, take out guards quietly, etc.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2014, 15:58.

14009 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo