Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14013 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
28. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:26 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:13:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:
Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

Did you watch a playthrough of the entire game? If not, you aren't qualified to judge the level design throughout the entire game. And while you certainly can speak about the game, I wouldn't call it "intelligently" by any means. To do that, you need to actually play the entire game.

OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGSDrG48mo

I have to assume he wasn't playing on Master difficulty, where the AI is much more perceptive. They'll detect you if you're close enough, even in pitch dark. Again, in the 40 hours I've played (on Master difficulty), the AI has proven pretty decent.

And it's really not hard to find videos of AI acting stupid in any stealth game, especially the original Thief games. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHB9GpDiA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppTXFAxg28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9tc9_fMmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKqJVGhhpu0

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 16:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 12:30 Jerykk

"I am including ONE non steam game as a DOWNLOAD (not a physical copy) of GRIM FANDANGO !!!!!!"

Where is the guy getting that download from? As far as I know, no digital distributor offers Grim Fandango.

20. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 05:28 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.

News Comments > Interceptor Sees Blood?
24. Re: Interceptor Sees Blood? Mar 10, 2014, 02:03 Jerykk

The first Prey is definitely worth playing. I enjoyed it a lot. Prey 2 looked promising but seems to be vaporware now.  

17. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 00:02 Jerykk

NamecaF wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 23:06:
I dont understand you guys sometimes. Everyone poo-pooed this game before it was released. And when it was released, reviews said it was bad... and yet you all still buy/play it? Confused

It's not that confusing. I disagree with the reviews and have been enjoying the game (I've put almost 40 hours into it thus far). While it's certainly not without issue, it's definitely not the abomination that some reviews made it out to be. It still plays and feels very much like a Thief game. Most of the people who talk trash about the game haven't even played it. They wanted the game to fail as soon as it was announced as "THI4F" and the negative reviews help boost their ego.

Some folks (not necessarily this thread) are trying to justify money spent.

Or maybe they actually enjoy the game? God forbid someone have different tastes than you. If they enjoy a game you don't (even though you haven't even played the game in question), they obviously must be lying...

I'm hoping you eventually realize how inane it is to say things like that.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 00:08.

News Comments > Interceptor Sees Blood?
22. Re: Interceptor Sees Blood? Mar 9, 2014, 19:05 Jerykk

Wildone wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 01:47:
WHAT HAPPENED TO PREY 2?! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bethesda owns the IP now.

8. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 18:24 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 17:32:
I'll never understand these bad design decisions like the windows. Similar with the animations played after capturing ships in Ass Creed 4. Once, ok. Every frickin' time? Come on! At least let the player have the option to disable it.

Pretty sure the window mashing is there for technical reasons. It keeps the player busy while the next area loads and allows for variable load times. It's a crappy workaround but not uncommon in UE games (see the automatic doors in ME). I'd rather just have a load screen.

News Comments > Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer
44. Re: Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer Mar 8, 2014, 02:08 Jerykk

Ouch. Quite the downgrade in graphics. Not entirely surprising, though. Ubisoft has a history of downgrading graphics in finished games (see Farcry 3). The debut footage was simply a tiny slice of an open-world so it was possible for them to put a lot of polish into it. However, trying to maintain that level of quality for the entire open world just wasn't going to happen. Then you throw in multiplatform development (including last gen) and the limitations keep piling up. People expecting the PC version to look like the debut footage are going to be sorely disappointed.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer
10. Re: Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 12:30 Jerykk

Still a bit worried about this after it got delayed for 6 months right before launch. That's never a good sign. Hopefully it turns out well.  

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
24. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 5, 2014, 05:23 Jerykk

In my case, rope arrows are basically the only things I need to buy. The rest of the items serve no purpose because I'm doing a pure ghost playthrough where combat and takedowns are impossible. That said, there are unlit candles placed throughout the city and the only way to light them is with a Fire Arrow. I assume that lighting them all makes something happen because there's a unique VO that plays whenever you light one. Unfortunately, the Fire Arrows cost 600 gold (with the 25% discount) so... yeah. We'll see if I can afford enough to light all the candles before I beat the game.  

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
22. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 5, 2014, 03:19 Jerykk

Squirmer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 00:30:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 23:05:
MajorD wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 20:40:

Have you even played the game? Whether it is Thief or not a Thief game, there is A LOT wrong with it!

Apart from the voices that randomly appear/repeat, what?
We're not talking bugs, we're talking bad design. Things like the constant removal of player control in betrayal of the Looking Glass legacy. The terrible level design that's nothing like the open maps that encourage exploration in the original, but rather a linear, funneled design. The inconsistent stealth mechanics, the laughable plot, the boring setting. There are so many problems.

The city hub definitely encourages exploration, as there's plenty of loot and collectibles to be found and some of it is pretty well-hidden. The story missions are definitely more linear than the levels in the previous games but they aren't as linear as you suggest. There are still branching paths and hidden areas. Finding all the loot and collectibles is still quite the challenge. The stealth mechanics seem pretty consistent to me. I do think that the sound mechanics could use improvement, as different surfaces don't really seem to matter unless they are broken glass or water puddles. Plot isn't laughable so much as mediocre and uninspired. I'm not sure why people are so offended by it. Mediocre and uninspired stories are par for the course in videogames. The setting seems compelling enough to me and carries the same tone and atmosphere as the city in the previous games.

Make no mistake, Thief definitely has issues. The AI is buggy, the door-mashing is annoying, the traversal system isn't entirely consistent, the levels aren't as large or open-ended as the ones in the first two games, there are a few stupid set-pieces and the sound mixing could use some work. However, when I'm sneaking around in the shadows and exploring every nook and cranny for loot, it feels very much like a Thief game.

Anyway, back on topic, layoffs are pretty standard after big AAA games ship. You only need a core team during pre-production, then you start hiring as you ramp up production. Once the game is done, all those new people you hired are sitting around with nothing to do unless you can roll them off onto another project and that's not always possible. It sucks but if you work in the industry, you should come to expect it. The only thing you can do is work your ass off and impress enough people to ensure they'll want you to stick around.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2014, 03:24.

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
17. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 3, 2014, 23:35 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 21:58:
Dishonored and Thief (I think others were referring to the new one but either way) are both sneak/grab/stab games. They're not identical but they're in the same genre and sub-genre.

I tried Dishonored twice too. The first time I didn't get into it but the second time I got hooked and very much enjoyed it so Dishonored II is one to look out for. How good are Dishonored's expansion packs?

I wouldn't call them the same genre. Thief is a straight up stealth game. Combat is a last resort. Conversely, Dishonored is a hybrid stealth/action game. You can go pure stealth if you want but full action is equally viable.

As for Dishonored's DLC, they're great (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, that is). Excellent level design, cool new weapons and enemies and more interesting backstory and lore. Definitely worth picking up both.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
77. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 23:31 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 15:10:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:42:
Why is there a load-screen at every window (literally) or why are the guards so extremely retarded.... in Thief 3, if you triggered the alert state, you were pretty well on your way to a morgue unless you went full assassin and killed EVERYONE (It was actually fun playing like that, because it wasn't easy to kill every guard in the game without dieing ,p)

There aren't load screens at literally every window. Only at the windows that load other zones of the city. Most of the windows just open. The "E" mashing gets pretty tedious, though. It was tedious in the Arkham games and just as tedious here. Not sure why any designer thinks that's a good mechanic these days (or even in the past). It might be because they need to delay the window opening so that they can finish loading the room. Perhaps the mashing keeps the player busy during this process so it's less obvious..? Stupid either way. I'd rather just sit and wait for him to open the window.

As for AI, yeah, it definitely seems to have some pathing issues. Thankfully, the way I play keeps AI issues hidden since I'm not allowed to be detected and I'm not allowed to neutralize anyone. With those rules, the AI does its job well enough.

While it was hyperbole (ok, and I didn't play the game, I watched a let's play), don't you think that animation and slow button mash sequence is there to hide a loading screen? Why else would it be there, it has no gameplay reason... to me, that is like an elevator ride in mass effect 1, except you have to mash buttons for the loading bar to reach 100% (and now that I thought of that, that's how I will see every single one of these sequences in the future, wee ,p)

They are manual load-screens, haha

You're probably right. I can't think of any other reason why a designer would implement button-mashing.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2014, 23:26 Jerykk

Singularity was surprisingly solid. I'm surprised its development was so rocky. I'm equally surprised that Activision actually agreed to fund an original game. I think Singularity was the last original IP that Activision released.  

65. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 12:42 Jerykk

Why is there a load-screen at every window (literally) or why are the guards so extremely retarded.... in Thief 3, if you triggered the alert state, you were pretty well on your way to a morgue unless you went full assassin and killed EVERYONE (It was actually fun playing like that, because it wasn't easy to kill every guard in the game without dieing ,p)

There aren't load screens at literally every window. Only at the windows that load other zones of the city. Most of the windows just open. The "E" mashing gets pretty tedious, though. It was tedious in the Arkham games and just as tedious here. Not sure why any designer thinks that's a good mechanic these days (or even in the past). It might be because they need to delay the window opening so that they can finish loading the room. Perhaps the mashing keeps the player busy during this process so it's less obvious..? Stupid either way. I'd rather just sit and wait for him to open the window.

As for AI, yeah, it definitely seems to have some pathing issues. Thankfully, the way I play keeps AI issues hidden since I'm not allowed to be detected and I'm not allowed to neutralize anyone. With those rules, the AI does its job well enough.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:30 Jerykk

You can press x to drop from any ledge, you may have fall damage, I guess it stops you so you dont do this. I disagree that a system like Assassin's Creed would be better. This is a first person game and I feel it works well for that.

You can manually drop from ledges and you can take fall damage. The problem is that the game isn't consistent with how these things work. Sometimes you can just walk off a ledge, other times you have to press X. Same with jumps. Sometimes you'll automatically jump when running towards a ledge, other times you'll just fall off. In AC, these things were consistent. If you ran towards a ledge, you would always jump off, even if there was nothing to jump to. And if you weren't running, you would always stop when reaching a ledge. Consistency is key. It doesn't matter if it's first-person or third-person.

I disagree again, it's great fun to explore this area, collecting bits and pieces along the way

I don't have a problem with exploration. I've spent the bulk of my time exploring the city and looking for loot. I do have a problem with the map system being worthless when you're trying to reach a specific location designated on the map. If you're going to have a map, it should be useful.

News Comments > Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee /3D Realms
23. Re: Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee Software/3D Realms Mar 2, 2014, 23:23 Jerykk

verybad1 wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:21:
Yes, it's a cease and desist lawsuit cause the new Duke Nukem game they said their working on wasn't released. So all they have to do is ..cease making it.

However the stopit lawsuit probably made the value of the company lower. So it's like buying stock when they're low. They probably got a good deal.

Except they need to release games to generate revenue. If they cancel their next big project, that leaves a big hole in their future revenue. Acquiring another company (even if it's Apogee/3D Realms) is relatively expensive, especially for a small independent studio like Interceptor Entertainment. Then you have the various legal fees pertaining to the lawsuit. It just seems like an ill-conceived move. And what real value does Apogee/3D Realms even have these days? They've sold off most of their IP to other studios and publishers. Nostalgia was the only value they had and now they no longer have that.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 23:12 Jerykk

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:38:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:32:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:06:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better. The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.

So worth a pirate then? Pirate d/l 4life

It's what he'd do!

Sure, if you ignore the fact that I bought the game. I have to assume you have me on your block filter or something, otherwise you wouldn't be spewing the same drivel you were spewing five years ago.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 18:06 Jerykk

Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better. The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 18:13.

News Comments > Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee /3D Realms
18. Re: Interceptor Entertainment Acquires Apogee Software/3D Realms Mar 2, 2014, 17:53 Jerykk

Is it wise to acquire a company while it's embroiled in lawsuit that it can't win?  

14013 Comments. 701 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo