Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13831 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 30, 2013, 00:22 Jerykk

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:11:
Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 20:26:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of those stats. 20m in sales overall feels right, as does $1.2 in total revenue, but only 1.5m in sales on the PC doesn't, given that it has been among the top Steam titles consistently for two years on a weekly basis. That would suggest Steam is doing a lot less business than I thought it was.

Unless those 1.5 million PC players are all doing nothing except downloading every single mod ever made from the nexus, there have to be a LOT more people to be affecting the nexus sites so much. Skyrim has basically forced them to invest $300K (and counting) into new hardware because the Skyrim site alone is murdering their entire infrastructure.

Also, for Steam to make 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and for Skyrim to be in the top 10 consistently for nearly two years, means a lot more people likely bought it than 90 million dollars' worth.

All in all, I'm going to say that the linked site pulled those numbers completely out of their ass in a desperate attempt to not have to admit that Skyrim on the PC outsold the console versions by a wide margin.

At the top of the article it states the source.

Statistic Verification
Source: Bethesda Game Studios, Steam, Zenimax
Research Date: 12.19.2013

Pretty sure that's a load of crap. Valve and publishers generally don't hand out sales figures to random websites. When they "source," they actually mean "we got a few pieces of publicly accessible information and then extrapolated estimates based on numerous half-baked assumptions." VGChartz does that, which is why their numbers are bullshit. What's even more ridiculous is that they give specific numbers per platform AND region, as if they would ever have access to that amount of data.

So again, unless a site cites a specific source (and provides a link to said source), it's not worth even a grain of salt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2013, 16:14 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:16:
Deadlight looks kinda cool. On the one hand, I love the look, and the other it looks like just a pretty version of one of those flash side-scrolling zombie games.

Anyone play it?

It plays like 2D Prince of Persia + Last of Us. You traverse the environment and solve basic platforming puzzles while dealing with zombies using distractions and/or traps. It's a cool game, though the writing leaves something to be desired. Still, it's worth picking up for $3.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 14:38 Jerykk

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 13:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 10:20:
WOOOHOOO!!! GO SKYRIM!

Can't beat that price. Best item no the sale all year.

The legs on Skyrim has been literally inconceivable (that word...). I would love to see the monthly sales numbers for that game since launch. I am so curious how many millions of copies they have sold.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here ya go. According to this they have sold over 20 million units, but only 14% of that has been on PC.

When a site doesn't actually cite any of their sources, it's generally unreliable. Also, Bethesda has never released platform-specific sales figures for Skyrim. The closest thing we got was when Todd Howard referred to PC Skyrim players as "millions" during a press conference.

Wikipedia is generally the best source of sales figures, as the articles always cite their sources and provide links.

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2013, 19:24 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 19:01:
Contrary to what some have suggested I think this year's sale has been great. I've picked up lots of games for big discounts!

What are you talking about? If nothing I want is discounted at an amount I arbitrarily decided, clearly these sales are completely and utterly worthless. I wanted Woodcutter Simulator 2013 to be at least 95% off but that hasn't happened so I don't know why they even bothered having these sales. What a waste of time.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2013, 17:47 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 15:11:
Brothers, I did smirk at this.

"as you experience co-op play in single player mode"

It actually makes sense once you play the game. You control two characters at the same time and they have to work together to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles throughout the game. Hence, co-op in single-player.

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 14:19:
Heard nothing but great stuff about Brothers.

Almost tempted to grab Deadpool. $10 is high, but the lets plays I've seen make it look fun, in a goofy sort of way.

Gamefly is selling Deadpool for $8 with this coupon code: GFDDEC20

News Comments > New Year's Eve with Batman
10. Re: New Year's Eve with Batman Dec 28, 2013, 04:49 Jerykk

Pretty sure this is for the final Origins DLC and not the next Arkham game.  

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 18:45 Jerykk

JayDeath wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 18:37:
Do I want Blood Dragon if I didn't really care for Far Cry 3? It's an entirely different game, no?

No, it's basically just a reskin of FC3.

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 18:04 Jerykk

GetGames has a pretty nice 2-for-$15 deal going on today. Cheapest prices yet for some of the games you can choose (Bioshock Infinite, The Bureau and Shadow Warrior for $7.50 each).

http://www.getloadedgo.com/

News Comments > On Sale
46. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 15:24 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 11:36:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 02:15:
Now if only the trilogy included all the DLC. Pretty ridiculous that you can buy three full games for $10, but if you want all the DLC, you'll have to spend over $50.

Other than the Extended Cut and if you want a happy-feeling ending, the Citadel for ME3, and Lair of the Shadowbroker for ME2, none of the DLC is required from a story perspective.

So just buy Shadowbroker along with the 10 buck pack, and you have a hojillion hours of gaming goodness.

Really? I heard that Leviathan has some pretty significant story stuff too.

News Comments > On Sale
42. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 03:01 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 02:44:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 02:15:

Now if only the trilogy included all the DLC. Pretty ridiculous that you can buy three full games for $10, but if you want all the DLC, you'll have to spend over $50.

I think that's a feature, not a bug.

True, but it's a flagrantly exploitative feature that 99% of gamers won't fall for. Or at least, I'd hope that's the case. There are other industries that use the same trick (printer ink comes to mind) but unlike those industries, DLC is completely optional.

News Comments > On Sale
40. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 02:15 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 01:47:
PropheT wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 20:24:
Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:58:
Most of those Origin deals are pretty pathetic, but if you've never played it, getting the entire Mass Effect trilogy for 24 bucks is incredible value.

Mass Effect 3 is only $7 on Amazon right now, and the trilogy is $9.

The Origin sale is pretty terrible :p

Mass Effect 3 on Amazon for $7

The whole trilogy for $9.99

I readily stand corrected.

I think the entire ME trilogy is easily worth 24 bucks, but obviously you'd be crazy to give EA 24 bucks if you can just give Amazon 10 bucks.

For 10 bucks it's the most ludicrously generous value ever conceived for a PC game. That's 100+ hours of awesome gaming for a tenner.

News Comments > On Sale
37. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2013, 04:13 Jerykk

GMG is selling Enemy Within for $12 with this coupon code: GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/xcom-enemy-within-na/

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Dec 25, 2013, 19:21 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2013, 17:06:
I bought DX:HR last Christmas, and never got around to playing it. Now the Director's Cut is $5. Worth the upgrade?

It fixes the boss fights by giving you more ways to defeat them. The boss fights were the biggest complaint people had against the original game, even though they comprised exactly 0.5% of the whole game. I think the DC also tweaks the balancing of the entire game a bit.

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2013, 05:40 Jerykk

There are two things in life that prevent most humans from killing eachother and taking what they want. Morality and the consequences if caught. In games, these things to out the window. Most people will do whatever they can get away with because of this. I'm sorry this simple concept is lost on you.

It's not lost to me at all. But as I've stated repeatedly, placing arbitrary consequences (like morality points) on specific actions completely goes against what DayZ is trying to do. DayZ is a sandbox survival game. It neither encourages nor discourages any specific actions. Instead, it leaves players to their own devices. These devices usually entail killing other players. Such is life.

As I've also mentioned numerous times before, adding a deeper crafting system to the game would provide players with more incentive to work together because it would provide them a common goal (like building a fort or outpost). The key here is motivation, not punishment. If players want to go around killing other players on sight, the game shouldn't punish them for it.

Imagine if you played an FPS that punished you for shooting. That would be fairly absurd, right? Because the whole point of an FPS is to shoot stuff. Similarly, the whole point of a survival sandbox is freedom. Freedom to help or harm as you see fit. Morality systems and other arbitrary punishments undermine this freedom by encouraging certain playstyles over others. If I told you that shooters would be better if they punished you for shooting and rewarded you for using diplomacy, would you agree? I wouldn't because that would completely change the core appeal of shooters. What you want out of DayZ (an open-world, co-op PvE experience) is not what DayZ is nor is it what people want from the survival sandbox genre.

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2013, 00:27 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 06:37:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 24, 2013, 02:52:
So basically, you want an open-world, massively multiplayer co-op zombie survival game with no PvP. That could work, though I have to wonder how much threat zombies would pose in the long run.

Sigh, it's like talking to a brick wall. I've already said several times that I don't want to completely remove PvP from the equation. But the games offered currently have no consequences for just killing random people along with no benefit of random people working together. Therefore I may as well just play any number of shooters if I want to PvP.

I truly do find it amusing, how people are so defensive of their survival game PvP. How precious it seems to be to them that they don't even want to see alternative games and ideas instead of all these copy and paste jobs of DayZ. With all of them, including DayZ, being very amateurish and really none of them being very good or even completed.

The discussion is going on many websites and forums currently, with most defenders of PvP not even being open to other possibilities.
And a whole lot of stories from the PvPers saying "I tried to play nice and work with others, but I was just killed by them." Then they wonder why folks want to see something different.

Except everything you've said so far has been against PvP. You say people should be punished for killing other players. You're only willing to tolerate PvP if it's heavily restricted by either punishing players who do it or limiting where or how they can do it. You keep emphasizing how you want a co-op experience, even though DayZ already offers that. There is a very clear benefit to working with other people in DayZ. When you're in a group, you're far less likely to die. Strength in numbers.

What you really want is a co-op only experience where you don't have to worry about getting shot by other players. That's fine but it goes against what games like DayZ are all about. I think that's what you're failing to understand. If you impose arbitrary punishments or rewards for specific actions (like in the humanity system you suggested earlier), your game becomes less of a survival sandbox (which is what DayZ is) and more of a theme park (like most MMOs are). There is nothing inherently wrong with a theme park but it's a polar opposite to what DayZ is and what it's trying to achieve.

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2013, 02:52 Jerykk

So basically, you want an open-world, massively multiplayer co-op zombie survival game with no PvP. That could work, though I have to wonder how much threat zombies would pose in the long run.  

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 22:46 Jerykk

I'm just amazed that there are people out there who still don't own Skyrim.

Also, the community sales are really annoying. People always vote for games that have already had the exact same discount many times before. Even if I'm not interested in a particular game, I will vote for it if the discount is unprecedented.

News Comments > On Sale
18. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2013, 19:09 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 15:15:
Just found a Reddit based Game Sales Wiki and sent to Blue!
Reddit Amazon Game Sales Wiki

Looks Skrim dlc will have to be a Flash to hit 75% or they kept it off the lists. Also hard to believe ea is still excluding dlc from ME, even though the series is on sale for $9.99 a couple of times.

Bioware DLC can only be purchased using Bioware Points and Bioware Points never go on sale. So... yeah, you won't be seeing any discounts on ME DLC anytime soon.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 03:18 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 02:12:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 23, 2013, 01:00:
Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves.

As I already said...people have those types of survival games available to them already. Why are you against having other options for people that want something different, that's not largely a griefers paradise?

If you're proposing an entirely new game/genre, I'm okay with that. I thought you were talking about changing existing games like DayZ or Nether. What you're describing would be a very different experience, more akin to an MMO where the game's systems are explicitly designed to force cooperation and prevent griefing. Nothing inherently wrong with that but it's the exact opposite reason why people play games like DayZ.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2013, 01:00 Jerykk

"Something that would be a lot of fun, is if a player loses their humanity with each player they kill, becoming weaker each time, eventually becoming a monster themselves and playing as that monster until they are killed. There would need to be more to it, providing a way for players to gain humanity by peacefully interacting with players, etc. "

That's essentially a morality system that punishes players for PvP. I don't think that would be a good solution at all. Survival games should be sandboxes that are molded by the players themselves. Arbitrarily rewarding or punishing players for specific actions undermines that and encourages a very specific playstyle.

As Redmask and I have mentioned, a deep crafting mechanic where you can build structures, items, vehicles, etc, would encourage cooperation naturally without punishing anyone. We've already seen this to an extent with the vehicles in DayZ (people working together to repair buses and helicopters). It just needs to be expanded upon. "Rust" is actually exploring that very idea. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

13831 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo