Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14069 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Apr 19, 2014, 04:54 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 10:00:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 03:46:
The writer of the Wolfenstein preview must be the only person I've ever heard praise id Tech 5. The texture quality in RAGE was simply atrocious. Looked good from a distance but once you got up close, they looked like they were from the 90's. This was very noticeable in the game's many interiors.

I think you are confused, the texture quality was okay up close. It was far away that looked really bad and blurred. It also suffered from the popping issue from far off.

I think you're confused. Megatextures mean that each environment uses one giant texture, as opposed to a ton of small textures. Theoretically, this allows artists to create completely unique textures for every part of the environment with zero repetition. Unfortunately, the use of one big texture for everything meant that while scenes looked good from a distance, the resolution of individual objects suffered and this was painfully apparent when viewed up close.

Here's an example: http://www.nag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/rage_pc_blurry_textures_nag.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer
11. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 20:35 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 16:57:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:14:
Slashman wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:01:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 23:01:
Shame that they're discarding the pirate setting in favor of a more generic fantasy setting. I thought Risen 2 did a great job with the pirate stuff.

You seem to be in a minority on that front. Doesn't seem like most folks liked it.

Most folks didn't like the combat, which is a fair criticism considering that it was pretty janky and there was no way to dodge attacks (though they later patched in a dodge move).

I didn't hear anyone complain about the pirate theme or its implementation, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many people who had never played the first game or any of the Gothic games were intrigued by the teaser trailer which showed off the pirate theme. Can't say the same for this teaser trailer, which is Generic Fantasy 101.

If you'd visit the typical RPG/PB fan websites like RPGCodex, RPGWatch or the WorldOfRisen you'd find quite a few posts of people who were turned off by the pirate setting. There is a reason why they are going back to a more traditional setting in Risen 3 and that is mostly the lack of popularity of the pirate setting among the Gothic/Risen fan base. The fans love pirates as a faction or NPCs but they apparently don't like being forced into the role of a pirate in a rather pure pirate setting.
Also, while a matter of taste, I would definitely abstain from calling the pirate setting in Risen 2 well done. It was a very poor man's ripoff of Disney PotC pirates with just about every lame cliche thrown in for good measure. It just wasn't a very convincing setting in the way they designed and executed it.

If by "convincing", you mean realistic, then no, it wasn't convincing. That said, I think that people are generally more interested in PotC's pirate fantasy rather than historical accuracy. In that regard, I thought Risen 2 handled it well. You had treasure maps, thief monkeys, attack parrots, coconut projectiles, sand-in-the-eyes, voodoo and basically everything you'd expect from a pirate fantasy. It was all good, light-hearted fun which is all I've ever looked for from Risen.

You may be right about the fanbase preferring traditional fantasy, boring as that may be. I kinda wish they'd keep traditional fantasy for the Gothic games (now that they own the IP again) and the pirate stuff for Risen. If they're just going to turn Risen into Gothic, why bother having two franchises?

9. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 14:42 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 11:16:
Visually stunning... cool!

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360... WHY?!

Didn't like Gothic 3. Crappy combat, shitty story. Didn't care much for Risen. Crappy combat, crappy NPCs. Never played Risen 2 after the myriad complaints about more crappy combat.

I'm not holding out much hope that these guys can finally make a game where the combat doesn't just flatout SUCK.

Gothic 2 had good combat. It wasn't mashy and required precise timing. It also required you to understand each enemy's attack patterns and behaviors so you could reliably dodge or block their attacks and land your hits. I thought the combat in Risen was pretty solid, though shields were ridiculously overpowered. Combat in Risen 2 was a step down, though they did add interesting special abilities to the mix. The companions in Risen 2 were great and I hope they return.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 18, 2014, 03:49 Jerykk

You are aware that these reviews do not encompass every PC game released within the last month, right?  

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Apr 18, 2014, 03:46 Jerykk

The writer of the Wolfenstein preview must be the only person I've ever heard praise id Tech 5. The texture quality in RAGE was simply atrocious. Looked good from a distance but once you got up close, they looked like they were from the 90's. This was very noticeable in the game's many interiors.  

News Comments > BioShock Postmortem
6. Re: BioShock Postmortem Apr 18, 2014, 01:24 Jerykk

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 23:31:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 21:09:
On my recent stint with no internet I finished Bioshock Infinite and honestly had some major gripes with it.

In Bioshock the story was all there along the main quest line. Audio recordings filled in some back story. In Infinite, I really hated how Booker would just 'forget' having his kid stolen and never remember any of it, and that if you wanted the story you really needed to hunt down the voxaphones. Or any real lack of explanation why Booker and Comstock were in the same universe together. (Been watching alot of Fringe Lately).

If you're not played Burial At Sea yet, it ties things back into Rapture rather nicely. And a rather fitting goodbye to the folks at Irrational, and what they created.

Eh, I didn't really like how Burial At Sea handled the story. It undermined a lot of the characters and themes in Infinite. I actually thought it was less satisfying than Infinite's original ending.

As for voxaphones, I do agree that putting most of the important details in those did leave a lot of holes for less thorough players and made the story more confusing as a result. That said, all of the questions you posed were indeed answered by voxaphones. Comstock hired the Luteces to build machines that would open tears. The machines had the unfortunate side-effect of rendering Comstock sterile. He believed it was his destiny to have an heir of his own blood so he opened a tear to Booker's universe and took his child instead. When Booker traveled through the tear to Comstock's universe, his memories were mixed up because that's what happens the first time you go through a tear. He still felt the need to find his daughter but the details were muddled up.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2014, 01:29.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailer
20. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 01:17 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 14:13:
Remember Aliens Colonial Marines..... and what bullshit and lies were spread before that released....

Gonna be a let's play material for me, and if it's only 3 hours... well then the let's play was at least worth my time Though thankfully, not my money

Different developers. Granted, Creative Assembly hasn't made any good non-strategy games but I think this looks pretty promising. It's also exploring a part of the franchise that no other Alien game has explored. I always thought that a survival horror game inspired by the original film would be a no-brainer. We'll see how it turns out.

5. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 01:14 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:01:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 23:01:
Shame that they're discarding the pirate setting in favor of a more generic fantasy setting. I thought Risen 2 did a great job with the pirate stuff.

You seem to be in a minority on that front. Doesn't seem like most folks liked it.

Most folks didn't like the combat, which is a fair criticism considering that it was pretty janky and there was no way to dodge attacks (though they later patched in a dodge move).

I didn't hear anyone complain about the pirate theme or its implementation, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many people who had never played the first game or any of the Gothic games were intrigued by the teaser trailer which showed off the pirate theme. Can't say the same for this teaser trailer, which is Generic Fantasy 101.

3. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 23:01 Jerykk

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
21. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 15, 2014, 04:24 Jerykk

World of Darkness + Obsidian = Yes Please. Probably not going to happen, though.  

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 15, 2014, 01:44 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 00:08:
im lookin for pc version AC4 on sale

Amazon is selling it for $20.

AC4

News Comments > Watch Dogs "Ultra Specs"
25. Re: Watch Dogs Apr 15, 2014, 00:39 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 17:39:
TXAA isn't much of a performance hit. AO probably will be, in a game like this.

What? TXAA is a huge performance hit in every game I've tried. I lose a good 20 FPS with TXAA compared to FXAA or SMAA.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed
22. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed Apr 11, 2014, 12:33 Jerykk

Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 07:29:
harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 02:38:
this moba shit is garbage imho

One of the weaknesses of Warcraft/Starcraft style MOBA maps is the very nature of the victory conditions: Destroy the hard to destroy base.

The 'fun' of the map is gone as soon as the battle lines shift to that base since it is almost impossible to recover that lost and vital middle ground.

Generally you have MOBA lobbies filled with a ready-to-go teams against ad-hoc teams whose members disconnect long before the 'end' of the map as a long and drawn out defeat is no game at all. (re: Maginot line)

MOBA's are the Bizzaro world equivalent to Supreme Commander's fluid and non-game ending shifting battle lines.

That's not entirely true. Respawn times get significantly longer late in the game, meaning a single team fight can make the difference between a win or a loss. Even if all your towers are down, you can still make a comeback if you win a team fight because you'll have enough time to take down multiple enemy towers before your opponents respawn.

News Comments > Prisonscape Kickstarter
6. Re: Prisonscape Kickstarter Apr 11, 2014, 12:28 Jerykk

Hopefully this makes it. I find the premise really interesting and wish there were more RPGs that used unique settings.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
42. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 11, 2014, 04:55 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 01:53:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 22:32:
Lol Star Citizen twitch - Christ Roberts is a total clown - power pointed the crowd to death.

hah did you watch the pax reveal.. he sits down to show it off and plays for a few minutes, then the fucker crashes hard and locks up, hes sitting there banging on the keyboard while dramatic orchestral music plays through the PA.. then just sits back and chills out while they try to tech support it for like 10 min

fucking classic man, pure comedy

it looked pretty cool when it was working, but damn.. good luck with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7FeQ-Hflg

Ouch. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong. That said, the game is still a long ways off and I'm pretty sure they'll fix most of the bugs.

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 3 Released; Episode 4 Trailer
8. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 3 Released; Episode 4 Trailer Apr 11, 2014, 04:28 Jerykk

Bundy wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 19:01:
Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 18:55:
Couldn't care less about puzzles and gameplay. If you're not playing these games for the story, and don't like it that you're moreso watching the game than playing it, stop playing these kinda games.

I loved the latest TWD. I loved ep2 of TWAU. My only gripe is that the episodes are too damn short.

We used to have the best of both worlds with the last season of Walking Dead. The way it is now i'd prefer if they just made it a miniseries. I love the story, it definitely has me intrigued. There just needs to be more game in this game. My wireless gamepad timed out 3 times from lack of input.

Eh? The first season of TWD wasn't exactly the pinnacle of gameplay either. The few puzzles it did have were painfully simplistic and the QTEs were just as dumb and tedious. Story and interesting choices were the only true appeal and that's no different for TWAU.

I'll grant u that bloody Mary is essentially the boogey man. But the second she popped out of the limo with the colt .45 I said to myself "she's got silver bullets". So where was my option to scale the building and try and pounce on her from above. Instead of charging head fucking on in the prescripted cutscene. I hate being railroaded in one direction in a game that prides itself on choices changing your path. I do love how we could kill tweedle. Honestly, how many times were we supposed to let those retards shoot us.

This isn't an RPG. It's a story-driven game where you can make small choices that have a relatively insignificant impact on the overall narrative. This was the case with TWD too.

News Comments > Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced
35. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 04:26 Jerykk

Seems almost exactly like DayZ, only with larger scale and probably less depth.  

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed
13. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed Apr 11, 2014, 04:23 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 02:38:
this moba shit is garbage imho

You ever play one?

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 12:32 Jerykk

In general, there is nothing inherently worse about F2P versus the "normal" gaming environment, and it does come with a huge bonus in that you can literally try it before you buy anything.

The inherent problem with F2P is that it requires developers to design their games around monetization. If a game doesn't support microtransactions, it can't be F2P, which means a lot of games simply wouldn't exist if F2P were the only option. Games like Amnesia, Bioshock, Skyrim, XCOM, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Deus Ex, GTA, Saint's Row, etc, wouldn't exist because their designs don't support infinite microtransactions.

F2P certainly has its place but to claim that it's the future of the industry rings hollow.

News Comments > Secret Ponchos PC Plans
6. Re: Secret Ponchos PC Plans Apr 10, 2014, 01:02 Jerykk

I'd love to see a CRPG set in the old west.  

14069 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo