Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14068 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 5, 2014, 03:08 Jerykk

RAGE does look good... from a distance. The shortcomings of MegaTextures become all too apparent up close. In order to make MegaTextures look good up close, you have to have even bigger textures, resulting in ludicrous file sizes. Do the benefits of having completely unique textures for every surface outweigh the burden of huge file sizes? I'd say no. I think RAGE and Wolfenstein would look just as good (and probably better) if they used tiling textures due to the fact that tiled textures hold up a lot better up close. They would also require 5 times less HDD space.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 4, 2014, 21:06 Jerykk

GamersGate is selling Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $5 (Deluxe edition with 2 extra side missions is a dollar more). Definitely worth picking up if you liked the previous games. I hated Conviction and Blacklist was a welcome return to form. It probably ranks as the second best SC game after Chaos Theory.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TCSCB/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist

EDIT: Whoops, look like it was a pricing mistake or something. Game's not even available anymore.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 00:32.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
31. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 3, 2014, 05:38 Jerykk

I seriously doubt that this will be a new UT game. More likely that UT2004 or UT3 will go F2P like Quake Live.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
40. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 3, 2014, 05:36 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 2, 2014, 16:16:
I'm all for high quality textures but RAGE was 25GB and it looked like ass - worse than any game with conventional texturing. The textures in the trailer for this don't look good at all, so I have no idea why it would need so much space.

If a game has 50GB worth of textures and looks better as a result then I'm all for it but it's an insult if the game looks bad.

The idea is that the engine uses MegaTextures, which are gigantic but allow you to use a single texture for a whole environment, as opposed to numerous, smaller textures. The theoretical benefit is that you can avoid repetition and make every surface and detail look unique. The reality is that this uniqueness doesn't hold much value to most players and the textures look bad up close because they're being scaled up to cover huge areas. I imagine the textures in this game are even bigger than the ones in RAGE to help compensate for that shortcoming, hence the doubled HDD space requirement.

I really don't understand why anyone would choose to use id Tech 5 after the numerous issues it had in RAGE. Much like id Tech 4, it is a failure as an engine and should have died with the game that debuted it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews May 2, 2014, 23:37 Jerykk

Have you actually played Wasteland 2 yet? From what I've read, people are pretty happy about it.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal May 1, 2014, 23:57 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on May 1, 2014, 06:25:
I don't understand how they could fuck up this IP so bad. Sexy vampire inflicting shockingly gory violence on Nazis really hooked me when I was younger... Where did they go wrong? A victim of political correctness maybe?

This. Butchering Nazis while they screamed and begged for help never got old. BloodRayne 2 lost this by focusing on generic enemies with no personality.

News Comments > NOLF Trademarks Filed
9. Re: NOLF Trademarks Filed May 1, 2014, 23:53 Jerykk

Hope at last! Really hope the NOLF games come to Steam. Contract JACK I can do without. It was basically NOLF, only without the memorable characters, funny writing, stealth elements or interesting level design.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 30, 2014, 02:44 Jerykk

Consortium was great. It's basically an adventure game with a lot of player agency and branching narratives. There's also a ton of lore if you're interested in that. Now that the bugs and other issues have been sorted it, it's definitely worth a look.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer
18. Re: Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2014, 22:57 Jerykk

The aiming looks suspiciously like auto-aim but I'll assume that's optional on the PC. I don't like how he snipes with a silenced pistol at the 2:00 mark, auto-aim auto-shmaim, a pistol couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that range and a silenced one wouldn't penetrate wet bread.

If you're looking for realism in a Wolfenstein game, you may be barking up the wrong tree...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 28, 2014, 02:06 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 23:55:
Quboid wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 12:22:
J wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 11:27:
I'll buy DayZ when it's finished. ... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
By which time, many players will have moved on and those that remain have no patience for annoying newbies and spend their time moaning about them.

I think DayZ's business model will kill it as a game. But make lots of money so who cares?!

Any game coming out of that studio in the future, and those programmers, and the directors, etc will care when they are marked for life because of a bad product associated with them.

I can't believe people continue to buy a game that has no game in it. Lets call it Seinfeld Z.

It's a multiplayer sandbox. The developers give players the tools they need to create their own experiences. People enjoy the emergent gameplay that results. I'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this.

News Comments > Devolver Not Drawing Blood
7. Re: Devolver Not Drawing Blood Apr 26, 2014, 22:17 Jerykk

They're probably better off just making a spiritual successor to Blood. The IP itself isn't that important. It's the experience that people want.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 26, 2014, 22:08 Jerykk

I think it's mostly lack of coverage that killed this (along with many other) Kickstarter. Nobody's going to pledge if they don't know your game exists. It also doesn't help that the game seems pretty generic and doesn't really cater to an under-served market. Seems like a solid game but doesn't stand out in a way that would make people back it.  

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
25. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 16:47 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 11:28:
Obsidian is rolling in dough after South Park now, so yes, it's warranted to call them sleazy. They can easily find work to bring money in. It might not be what they want it exactly but it'll make them more than enough to do what they want. Which is what businesses are supposed to do. Otherwise it constitutes Moral Hazard. If you think those who can easily afford to bankroll their own projects but choose not to isn't sleazy then you have a very skewed moral compass.

Why would Obsidian be rolling in dough after South Park? If anything, they probably lost money on South Park because it was delayed so many times. It's not uncommon for devs to have to cover their own costs if their projects have gone far beyond the original contractual deadlines and South Park certainly fits that criteria. As for royalties, I highly doubt they've seen any. Most publishers won't offer royalties until they've completely recouped their expenses on the project. Throw in the licensing fees for the IP, the switch in publishers and the prolonged development period and you likely have a zero royalty situation. They might see some money in a few years if the game continues to sell well but I wouldn't count on it.

Your posts show no understanding of how game development actually works.

16. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:53 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 04:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 03:04:
And you can be sure that in addition to the KS funds, they added whatever extra they had lying around. This is a passion project. They'll be lucky to cover that, especially in an era where no one wants to pay more than $5 for a game. It might be years before they make a profit, and you can guarantee it won't enough to fund their next game. Whatever they're doing next, if it's not mass market and publisher funded, they'll need to KS it.

This is bullshit, dude. Obsidian fully intends to establish Infinity engine v2.0 with PoE. Passion project my ass (OK, maybe a little but seriously...). They are hoping to capitalize on it big time by either making sequels or spin-offs themselves or licensing the engine to 3rd parties. They want all of the BG, Icewind Dale, PST multi-million $$$ action and then some. PoE is the showcase and if all goes well they'll make some major dough by laying the groundwork with PoE.

Good for them though that their "we're on bread and water, have a shirt to spare?" PR seems to be working on some people. They are going to need that kind of spin, too, when they return for second takings on KS.

You are aware that PoE uses Unity, right? An engine they are licensing themselves? I'm pretty sure they'd have trouble licensing it out to other developers. The reason they chose Unity instead of their own proprietary engine (Onyx) is because Unity is cheap, easy to use and has a great store where you can buy code and assets (cheaply) that save you a significant amount of time. Pretty much the exact opposite of creating their own engine for licensing purposes.

As for sequels and spin-offs... really? PoE is an untested IP. It may flop when it comes out. Obsidian would have to be moronic to assume that the game is going to sell millions and become a huge IP that would actually justify sequels and spin-offs.

Easy as pie to answer that one: Abandon the project and the business model since it didn't work out for them.

Except it did work out for them. They made enough money to fund the project and keep their people employed. That's a success for any studio. That said, a single successful Kickstarter doesn't guarantee a long-term revenue stream substantial enough to keep the studio afloat. Like I said before, if PoE has sold well enough by the time they finish their next project, maybe they won't need Kickstarter anymore. But that's at least two years away.

Obsidian have always been mercenaries. They'll get work for the team whether it's a Star Wars, Southpark, Fallout, Dungeon Siege or whatever RPG. Besides their teams always seem to be fluctuating a lot with a lot of crossover where e.g. dev A works on game A, B and C on and off depending on the phase of development that game A, B or C is in.

All independent studios are mercenaries. That hasn't stopped them from being shut down left and right because there isn't enough work to go around. As was stated in the interview, fewer and fewer publishers are signing projects with external developers. Almost all of the big games are handled internally, whether it's God of War, Halo, GTA, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Elder Scrolls, Watch_Dogs, etc.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2014, 05:01.

13. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:25 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 01:10:
No man, not gonna' freak. I simply choose not to back those who can easily fund their own projects and feel others should do the same. Plenty of people doing crowdfunding who actually really need the money. I find this very sleazy.

"Easily funds their own projects"? What makes you think Obsidian can easily fund their own projects? Do you think they're rolling in cash or something? Getting royalties from publishers is a very rare thing indeed, especially with rising budgets and other arbitrary criteria like Metacritic scores. In truth, most independent studios barely hang on from project to project. One canceled project is all it takes to shut down a studio these days. See TimeGate for a recent example of that. Human Head is probably going to shut down within the year after losing Prey 2. The fact that they've picked up TimeGate's scraps (Minimum) is a testament to their desperation.

Game development isn't cheap. $4 million might seem like a lot but it really isn't, even for a 2D, isometric CRPG. Sure, there are smaller indies making RPGs but those typically consist of tiny teams (1-3 people) willing to survive on cup ramen for years. If you want to provide a decent wage and benefits to a team of 10-20 people for over a year, that $4 million is going to disappear very quickly, especially in California (Obsidian's location) where the cost of living is high.

I'm often surprised by how little some people know about the games industry and development in general. So many flawed assumptions and baseless criticisms.

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 01:48:
Agree with Cutter. Obsidian has used Kickstarter to fund PoE. That's fine but it needs to become self-sustaining from there on out. The whole point of KS should not be to raise money and burn it on a project with zero return on investment but to raise money and build a working business model from it.
Having to return to KS for more monies is a clear sign of incompetent leadership, poor budgeting and a profound lack of foresight.

I backed PoE but I'm sure as fuck not backing any other shit made by Obsidian. They need to create the new game from the income generated by PoE. Remember how all of this was supposed to be NOT like the publisher model? Here's a quick memo for starters: I'm not a cow. Don't try to milk me. Make your own milk. We fed you the clover. Now grow and prosper on your own.

That logic is terribly flawed. Let's say that Obsidian did as you suggested. They finish PoE and release it. What if it sells poorly? What if the backers were the only ones interested in it? Now Obsidian is screwed because they have no revenue and nothing for the PoE devs to work on. Even if it sells decently, Obsidian can't really afford to wait and see if it will make enough money to fund their next game. Employees need to get paid even if they aren't working on anything.

No, starting another Kickstarter project towards the end of PoE is exactly the right thing to do. If it succeeds, they'll have enough money to keep people working and they can immediately roll over devs who are finished with PoE. If PoE has sold well enough by the time their next project is finished, maybe they won't need Kickstarter again. But independent developers really can't afford to take a wait-and-see approach. They have to be pro-active and secure projects as quickly as possible.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2014, 04:39.

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
54. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 04:34 Jerykk

Desalus wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 16:50:
It seems like people have two reasons why they are not excited for the game:
1) They were disappointed by Dragon Age 2.
2) They do not like Origin and/or EA.

Both of which have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of Dragon Age 3. From what I've seen (30 minute vid of gameplay) and read, the game will exceed the quality and gameplay of the first Dragon Age. BioWare knows they screwed up with DA2 and they have made it a mission to correct those errors with DA3. This game looks like a mixture of the storytelling we expect from Bioware, along with more open world features reminiscent of Elder Scrolls (yes I know it's not completely open world, but it's a lot more open world than DA1 or DA2). I for one am very excited for this game.

The quality (and direction) of DA2 are very much relevant to DA3. DA2 tried to accommodate players who wanted to play the game like a hack 'n slash. DA3 is trying to do the same. They claim that DA3 will be more strategic but nothing I saw from the gameplay walkthroughs really showed that. Yes, they used the tactical view and issued orders but I never saw any situations where they actually needed to do those things. And that's the inherent problem with trying to accommodate two completely different playstyles. If you tune the combat for hack 'n slash, it's going to be way too easy for PnP. If you tune the combat for PnP, it's going to be way too hard for hack 'n slash. DA2 tried to compensate for this by spawning waves of enemies out of thin air during every combat encounter. This wasn't a big issue on anything less than Nightmare difficulty because enemies were essentially just cannon fodder. However, on Nightmare (the difficulty designed to force tactical play), enemies were significantly tougher and the mechanics far less forgiving, making the wave-based spawns incredibly frustrating.

Bottom line is that you can't design combat encounters and balance enemies to create a satisfying experience for both players who just want to button mash and players who want to be challenged on a tactical level. I'd love for DA3 to prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to happen.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2014, 18:59 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 10:30:
Uh-oh, Thief comment. Where are Eidos shill Jerykk and his sockpuppet netn... oh, there they are.

Essentially free? Does it make the game less of a railified, click-to-win, hand-holding borefest? Then again, netnerd (ahem) says it looks "damn good". And it does. All those cool twinkling items and blue doors lend to a unique visual style. And it's so easy to gawk and just dwell on how good the game looks as you are led through the maps when you don't have to worry about falling off anything or waste precious sightseeing brain energy on problem-solving. Less gameplay, more gorgeous. An astute developer understands those two aspects are incompatible in a multi-platform game, as tiny, consolized brains would simply shut down trying to deal with both at the same time. So, design the game for console players, but market to, and appease, PC gamers on the strength of the graphics. Why are PC gamers still falling for this shit?

Your ignorant ramblings never cease to amuse. Click-to-win? Hand-holding? Twinkling items? Blue doors? Pro-tip: Actually play the game. Choose Custom Difficulty. Set the base difficulty to Master. Turn on all of the Difficulty modifiers. Go to Options menu. Turn off all UI elements. Voila! You now have the hardest stealth game ever made. Way harder than the first two Thief games which were PC-exclusive. Crazy!

I swear, the utter disdain people hold for things they know so little about is astounding. To be disinterested or even apathetic is one thing but the sheer vehemence with which some people spew their drivel is unbelievable. Calm down and save your energy for something you are actually qualified to speak about.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2014, 19:04.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Apr 19, 2014, 05:04 Jerykk

If you enjoy stealth games, it's definitely worth picking up at that price. While it certainly has its share of problems, it's not nearly as bad as series aficionados claim.  

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
14. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 19, 2014, 05:00 Jerykk

If EA thinks that giving away free copies of old games that everybody has already played is going to make Origin popular, they're sorely mistaken. They need to significantly improve their selection and offer competitive discounts on a frequent basis. They also need to get rid of Bioware Points or at the very least, put them on sale at least once a year.

Also, Codename Eagle wasn't a BF mod. It was the spiritual predecessor to the BF series.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Apr 19, 2014, 04:54 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 10:00:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 03:46:
The writer of the Wolfenstein preview must be the only person I've ever heard praise id Tech 5. The texture quality in RAGE was simply atrocious. Looked good from a distance but once you got up close, they looked like they were from the 90's. This was very noticeable in the game's many interiors.

I think you are confused, the texture quality was okay up close. It was far away that looked really bad and blurred. It also suffered from the popping issue from far off.

I think you're confused. Megatextures mean that each environment uses one giant texture, as opposed to a ton of small textures. Theoretically, this allows artists to create completely unique textures for every part of the environment with zero repetition. Unfortunately, the use of one big texture for everything meant that while scenes looked good from a distance, the resolution of individual objects suffered and this was painfully apparent when viewed up close.

Here's an example: http://www.nag.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/rage_pc_blurry_textures_nag.jpg

14068 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo