Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14352 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Resident Evil HD Preloads
7. Re: Resident Evil HD Preloads Jan 19, 2015, 05:14 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 18:17:
I hope it's not burdended by the scourge of consolitis.

What? RE was a console game to begin with. Of course it's going to have consolitis.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
99. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 19, 2015, 01:02 Jerykk

if you don't think that any product has the right to be sold by the people who create it, and instead have to submit to a large corporate entity to sypher away all their profits, then you're deranged. and I can't capitalize this enough: THIS IS THE VERY FUCKING REASON THAT STEAM WAS INVENTED IN THE FIRST PLACE, SO THAT VALVE DIDN'T HAVE TO HAND THEIR PROFITS OFF TO VIVENDI, A 3RD PARTY PUBLISHER. Irony abounds. although if "analogy" flew over your head, i don't have much hope for you coming to terms with the irony of your argument.

I'm not sure why you keep talking about rights. This isn't a legal matter. Of course Rockstar has the right to not use Steamworks. However, is that in the best interests of its customers? The answer is "no." Customers want Steamworks. That's why the vast majority of customers are going to buy GTA5 on Steam. Rockstar is selling GTA5 on Steam because they know that Valve's 30% cut will be more than offset by the sheer bulk of sales that Steam provides. GTA5 will generate more profit from Steam than it will from any other distributor, including Rockstar's direct sales from their own website.

Also, your comparisons to publishers are misinformed. Most developers rely on publishers to fund development, not just to handle distribution. Valve does not fund development of third-party games. Valve created Steam not to avoid publishers (because developers still rely on publishers and publishers are still selling games on Steam) but to cut out retail. PC gaming was shrinking in retail and publishers needed an alternate, more reliable source of revenue in order to justify PC development. Steam provided that by removing manufacturing and minimizing distribution costs. As such, the profit margins for digital distribution are higher than the profit margins for physical distribution. Were it not for Steam, most publishers would have abandoned PC development by now.

Ultimately, it boils down to giving customers what they want. Customers want Steam. By making Steamworks the standard DRM for GTA5, more customers will be happy and therefore more likely to buy the game (or pay more for it). This isn't about rights or principles. It's about business and using Steamworks is best for business (which is why every publisher except EA, Ubisoft and Rockstar now use Steamworks in all of their games).

News Comments > Hatred Earns AO Rating
39. Re: Hatred Earns AO Rating Jan 18, 2015, 07:08 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:37:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:25:
Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:11:
I wish I could find the blues comments from when someone tried making a columbine simulator, as that's what this essentially is. You walk around in a trench coat killing innocent people for no reason.

It has a right to exist, but it's asinine.

Are there books and movies with those themes? If so then why not video games? Or should they all be banned and remember you ban them, then you have this in court with "here we see this girzzly act which was banned, but here this is as grizzly or even more so, why shouldn't this be banned, your honor?"

I guess I really don't care overall if it is banned, I just don't know why it would when other things exist. I got a foot in the grave like the next person, there are no perfect answers. I just have the ability to make ok with real from not real.

I personally have a bigger issue with a 10+ year war we have going on in the real, it was justified early on, now it seems to exist as a fear machine to grease the war pigs, I could be wrong.

What part about "has a right to exist" do you not understand?

Everyone will keep painting me as an sjw trying to ban things because they don't read. I swear that's half of the games community now - people thinking being critical is the same as trying to ban, even when the opposite is explicitly stated.

The purpose of criticism is to motivate change. People only criticize things when they aren't happy with the status quo. When you criticize a game for encouraging the slaughter of civilians, you are essentially saying "I find this game problematic." As with any problem, the solution is to remove the offending elements. You might not explicitly say as much but if the game were canceled or banned, you'd be satisfied.

News Comments > Hatred Earns AO Rating
38. Re: Hatred Earns AO Rating Jan 18, 2015, 06:58 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 00:02:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 21:33:
There's plenty of rape simulators coming out of Japanese game developers for years. Where are all the white knights and social justice warriors attacking them?

Where are they sold on steam and western stores?

Sarkeesian has actually referenced numerous Japanese games in her videos, particularly Nintendo games. It's convenient because Nintendo is the most outdated when it comes to gender representations. Their characters haven't really evolved at all since the 90's.

76. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 06:52 Jerykk

Slick wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 04:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 02:03:
I remember RSC being pretty broken in Max Payne 3. I had a lot of trouble just getting into the same matches with friends. I didn't see any useful features from RSC when playing LA Noire or GTA4 either.

Really, they should just ditch RSC and switch to Steamworks entirely. Steamworks is better in every way. For any game-specific features like the ones Kroven mentioned, those should just be integrated into the game itself (since they are game specific). No need for an additional client. 99.9% of customers are going to buy GTAV on Steam anyway, so why not use Steamworks?

Rockstar just seems out of touch with PC gaming. Publishers have been pushing for simultaneous launches and adopting Steamworks for years now. Rockstar apparently didn't get the memo.

why don't they just sell their product at wal-mart? sure wal-mart takes a bigger cut, but who cares?

fact is that people have been trying to get their products sold at wal-mart for a long time now, and it's really crazy for anyone to not want their product sold only exclusively at wal-mart. they're obviously out of touch, because everyone knows that wal-mart is cheaper and better than anything else out there! didn't they get the memo that all anyone wants is one giant wal-mart?

I feel like you're trying to be sarcastic but failing miserably. Steam is the biggest distributor of PC games. Wal-Mart is not. The overwhelming majority of gamers love Steam and want all their games on Steam. That's why Steam's user count has been growing rapidly and why almost every publisher and developer uses Steamworks now.

BTW, using Steamworks doesn't mean you can only sell your game on Steam. You can provide keys to any retailer or online store, which is what every publisher has been doing for years. You can even sell said keys on your own website! Shocking, I know. Also, Rockstar is already selling GTA5 on Steam. They're still giving Valve a cut of each sale. That being the case, they might as well do what the majority of gamers want and use Steamworks for all versions of the game.

73. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 02:03 Jerykk

I remember RSC being pretty broken in Max Payne 3. I had a lot of trouble just getting into the same matches with friends. I didn't see any useful features from RSC when playing LA Noire or GTA4 either.

Really, they should just ditch RSC and switch to Steamworks entirely. Steamworks is better in every way. For any game-specific features like the ones Kroven mentioned, those should just be integrated into the game itself (since they are game specific). No need for an additional client. 99.9% of customers are going to buy GTAV on Steam anyway, so why not use Steamworks?

Rockstar just seems out of touch with PC gaming. Publishers have been pushing for simultaneous launches and adopting Steamworks for years now. Rockstar apparently didn't get the memo.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2015, 02:12.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Gat out of Hell Trailer
9. Re: Saints Row IV Gat out of Hell Trailer Jan 17, 2015, 18:04 Jerykk

KTR wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 20:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 19:39:
Looks like no new assets......same city.....wow. Picked up Saints Row 4 today for the low low Saints Row 3 DLC price of $7.49 with all content.

I will get this when it is $5.00 or less.

I got some good news. It is currently $4.99 at Gamestop.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell/118076

Pretty sure that's a pricing mistake and any orders made at the price will be canceled before the game launches. That said, Gamestop still hasn't corrected the price so maybe the discount is intentional..? More likely they are just incompetent.

News Comments > H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology
8. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 17, 2015, 14:18 Jerykk

I think the problem is that you can pay for these air drops. I don't think making it harder to actually retrieve said drops is really the solution. If you do that, people are just going to be less likely to buy them, as it will be a gamble and you risk throwing away your money.

The better solution is to just make air drops occur randomly and not be something you can buy.

News Comments > Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations
35. Re: Ubisoft on Watch Dogs 2 Expectations Jan 16, 2015, 23:10 Jerykk

Watch_Dogs really doesn't deserve all the bile people spit at it. Were the graphics less impressive than the initial reveal? Sure, but they still looked good (especially when raining). Was the gameplay revolutionary? No, but it was solid and enjoyable if you tried to play stealthy and relied on hacking to complete objectives.

I think the big problem with Watch_Dogs is that the early game just isn't very interesting. Most of your cool abilities are locked behind the skill tree and most of the interesting missions happen later in the game. Also, the traffic traps system wasn't super intuitive and you had very limited battery power at the start of the game, so most players would trigger traps at the wrong time, miss the pursuing cars and then be unable to trigger any more traps for the rest of the chase.

It's a shame most people didn't stick with it because the hacking stuff was pretty fun later in the game. The online hacking was also very cool.

News Comments > Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons IP Sold
6. Re: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons IP Sold Jan 16, 2015, 23:01 Jerykk

Not sure what the point of buying this IP would be. The game was great but pretty obscure so the name doesn't really have any value. Also, given the events of the game, I don't see how they can make any sequels to it.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released
3. Re: Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 12:35 Jerykk

This seems kind of half-assed. No new content aside from some generic missions?  

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
25. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 12:26 Jerykk

Recommended specs seem a bit low. Those are probably the specs you need to run at High detail, 1080p, 30 FPS.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2015, 00:52 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 22:43:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 20:25:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:39:
REHD is going to bring back great feelings of the golden age of pc gaming. Seems to be a great new theme, especially with devs making games like D:OS and Wasteland 2. Now is the new "best time" to be a pc gamer.

Wha? RE was never a PC series. Some of the games were ported to PC but they were console games first and foremost. Make no mistake, I think now is a great time for PC gaming but "RE" and "golden age of pc gaming" don't really have anything to do with each other.

Who said anything about it being a pc series? Replaying it on the pc will remind me of the golden years of pc gaming because the last time I played it was in '97 (one of the best years for pc gaming) on my pc! (not on console)

Just a weird association, I guess. When I think of the golden age of PC gaming, I think of Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Quake, Duke 3D, Mechwarrior, Interstate 76, Carmageddon, etc.

News Comments > Dying Light Videos
11. Re: Dying Light Videos Jan 11, 2015, 20:40 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 12:23:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 04:11:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 03:47:
Not sure how I feel about the day to night changes, since I can't imagine any convincing lore. At least, Romero followed D&D rulesets for the most part. It's just having constantly respawning mobs and fighting them over and over and over, is extremely immersion breaking.

Not that hard to come up with a reason for zombies to be more dangerous at night. Maybe they are weakened by UV radiation or maybe their eyes are very sensitive to light.

Also, respawning zombies is kind of important. If they didn't respawn, you could just clear them all out and then there would be nothing hindering you from completing objectives. Killing zombies is a means to an end, not the end itself.
If that works for you, that's cool. It doesn't come close for me, a zombie is a being which can be killed. It's a shell of a human, rotted, broken and decaying. There are only so many humans, there for only so many zombies. Once you kill one, they don't get a 3rd-infinity lives. It's one of the cheapest game designs, the majority of games (90% +), do not use.

Since Dead Island was Coop, I let it slide and probably will with Dying Light. It was really the only Coop game in a long, long time. The fact they added RPGish to was amazing, in the sense it's exactly what gamers have been asking, for more than a decade. A classic example is The Elder Scroll series. I still remember cliffyb (the fool that killed Coop) in this very forum, lying his ass off about why Unreal, wasn't followed my a Coop game instead of only the pvp UT. Remember what he said, "because the scripting was too hard.". There wasn't a damn thing in Dead Island scripting too hard, certainly no more than any mmog pve.

Why is respawning zombies a cheap design? What's the alternative? They don't respawn and you just kill them all, leaving you with a huge, empty city? Do you really think that doing missions in an empty city would be interesting? Do you think there would be any tension or suspense when you know you're completely safe?

CRPGS are way, way more complex than action games (like Dead Island). How do you handle dialogue options? How do you handle branching? What if one player decides to support one faction while the other player supports an opposing faction? Dead Island didn't have any dialogue choices or really any meaningful choices at all. You either did missions or you didn't. Divinity: Original Sin was a co-op CRPG but didn't really let you affect the world in the ways that games like Fallout and Wasteland do. Dialogue options were handled through a minigame and while that worked for D:OS, I don't see it working for more serious game like the Elder Scrolls.

As for why Unreal's successors were PVP instead of co-op, the answer seems fairly obvious. Co-ops don't have longevity. If you want people to play your game for more than a month, you need competitive play. That's why Valve added PVP to L4D. That's why nobody is still playing Portal 2's co-op. PVP will always have longer legs than co-op.

Making blanket statements like "respawning enemies is lazy" or "every game should have co-op" is silly. It ignores the numerous valid reasons for or against such design choices simply because you personally like/dislike said design choices. Context is everything. Not every game benefits from co-op and not every game is hurt by respawning enemies.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2015, 20:25 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:39:
REHD is going to bring back great feelings of the golden age of pc gaming. Seems to be a great new theme, especially with devs making games like D:OS and Wasteland 2. Now is the new "best time" to be a pc gamer.

Wha? RE was never a PC series. Some of the games were ported to PC but they were console games first and foremost. Make no mistake, I think now is a great time for PC gaming but "RE" and "golden age of pc gaming" don't really have anything to do with each other.

News Comments > Resident Evil HD Specs
11. Re: Resident Evil HD Specs Jan 11, 2015, 20:24 Jerykk

Kobalt wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:32:
I don't think you guys quite understand how easy these old survivor horror games would be without tank controls. The game was designed with the idea that you can't quickly turn around and aim. I suggest you put the game on the lowest setting to simulate non tank controls.

That's the reason why I never really cared for them. If your game is only challenging or "scary" because it has shitty controls and cameras, you've already failed.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday
17. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 20:22 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:14:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:02:
Why are video game developers continuing to use KickStarter? It's regional. If they want world-wide backing go with https://www.indiegogo.com/.

Because Indiegogo gives any money raised, regardless of if the overall goal is hit. Much higher chance of being scammed. Most Kickstarters also accept Paypal, so that should work for all countries?

That's not entirely accurate. Indiegogo offers both options: developer gets whatever money is pledged or developer only gets money if goal is met.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2015, 16:57 Jerykk

Cheaters and cheat-makers probably buy multiple copies of CS because they get banned so often.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday
9. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 16:55 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 16:43:
Dragonfall (+Directors Cut) is NOT free. Costs 15 just like the base-game (also 15) on Steam

So uh, why do they need a KS?

Backers got Dragonfall and the DC for free (which was very generous of HBS). Considering that backers would be the ones most likely to buy those things, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't sell all that well.

I'm completely fine with HBS going back to KS. After Dragonfall, I have complete faith in their ability to craft another great campaign and will gladly support them in doing so.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Jan 11, 2015, 04:45 Jerykk

Why would you need a gamepad if you're going to use tank movement anyway..? A keyboard works fine for that. A = rotate left, D = rotate right, W = move forward, S = move backwards. Done. Not sure what you'd use the mouse for, aside from left click to attack and right click to enter combat mode.  

14352 Comments. 718 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo