Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13947 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
56. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 16:16 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 12:17:
Haha, it's fun being right again. Some of these reviews are devastating. More and more comments like "Aliens Colonial Marines of 2014" are popping up.

Now I'll sit back and watch the apologists do the damage control scramble.

/quickly checks Metacritic

Colonial Marines has a score of 45. Thief has a score of 72. Hyperbole much? Thief is mediocre at worst while CM was just bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
53. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 16:06 Jerykk

PC Gamer and RPS's reviews were surprisingly positive, given how much they bashed the game before release. Criticisms of the game seem to be fairly consistent, though the degree to which they impact the overall experience varies from reviewer to reviewer. I don't really care about story in stealth games, so that criticism is irrelevant to me. I don't like loading screens but I'm to going to play the game in the slowest and most methodical manner possible, so that's less of an issue. AI bugs are a concern but I'll have to see how frequent they are.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 00:23 Jerykk

Zoom wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:50:
Interesting that Banished is up there at top spot. This indy game comes from nowhere, it's finished (something rare these days), there was no multi-year hype buildup, and it seems really brilliant (didnt get it yet, but had it on my "watch list").

It is really strange. DayZ and Rust had a lot of word of mouth so their success is understandable. Banished came out of nowhere. It was the top-seller as soon as it launched despite appearing to be a rather mundane city-builder.

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
29. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 24, 2014, 00:15 Jerykk

CPU recommendations are never really accurate. I'm sure an i5 runs the game just as well as an i7. Very few games are CPU-dependent and even in those, the difference between an i5 and an i7 is negligible.  

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
23. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 21:16 Jerykk

Task wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 18:13:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 17:23:
Level design comparison: http://i.imgur.com/om7LJLQ.jpg

Did someone actually map out and draw that first level in Thief 4? That's pretty impressive. I guessed that Thief 4 levels would be linear like that.

I'm not sure how they'd map out the level without actually playing it. They're just making assumptions based on the videos released thus far. Not that I'd be surprised if the levels were more linear than in the original games.

Anyway, at the very least, the port looks like it will be well-done. Nixxes knows their stuff.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
46. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 02:37 Jerykk

BobBob wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 01:07:
How exactly does this video game require $39,000,000 to be created? I'm curious of the break down here. How much is the CEO making as a salary?

Um, have you seen the bazillion stretch goals? $39 million isn't even that much given the huge scope of the project. I think you severely underestimate how expensive game development is.

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
31. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 23, 2014, 02:32 Jerykk

And hitting timed keys when they appear on-screen is a skill, even if it's retarded gameplay on the absolute dumbest and lowest level. But rubbing items on everything (without a time-limit anywhere) isn't a skill and takes none (which is probably why it was designed that way, so that the dumbed down masses can play Broken Age and not get stuck).

I don't really see how mashing keys requires any more skill than combining and using random objects in an adventure game. The QTEs in The Walking Dead did not require precise timing or coordination. In terms of difficulty, they were exactly the same as the QTEs in The Wolf Among Us. So really, the only distinction between the two implementations is that one has an explicit fail state while the other does not. No, the actual gameplay of TWD and TWAU comes from the choices you make over the course of the game and how those choices affect the story. Making complex choices is a challenge in and of itself.

You're essentially saying that 99% of adventure games are not actually games because they don't have time limits while solving puzzles. Difficulty is relative. Just because you find something easy doesn't mean it isn't gameplay. There are most certainly people who thought the puzzles in Broken Age were difficult. I was not among them but I define "challenge" in an objective way. A challenge provides a goal and obstacles that must be overcome in order to achieve that goal. If a game offers such challenges, regardless of difficulty, then it qualifies as a game.

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
21. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 23, 2014, 02:15 Jerykk

I wouldn't say that Chani had a minor role at all. If you side with the natives, she plays an integral role in the story. She even helps you bring Steelbeard back as a ghost. On top of that, she had more personality than most of Gothic's NPCs. Jaffar could be compared to Jar Jar, though I found him infinitely more amusing. Mainly because of how often he said "fuck yes."

I love the Gothic games but I feel like you're overselling how much depth the characters actually had. Milten and Lester were essentially the same character, only from different factions. Xardas, Diego and Gorn were likeable characters but there wasn't much to them. You never learned much of their backstory or motivations. At the very least, the companions in R2 were all unique and most of them had more character development than the characters in Gothic.

19. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 22:39 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 22:04:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 17:45:
Risen 2 had some of the most interesting characters of any PB game as well.

You're joking, right? Refresher: The Gothics had chapters. You were stuck in the same relatively small world from the first to the final chapter. Result: You met many NPCs more than once and you built "real" relationships with some of them throughout the chapters. It was also worth talking to every NPC in each new chapter to see if they had anything else to say or if they maybe even had new quests.

In Risen 2 you hopped from one island to the next and with maybe a couple exceptions there was zero reason to ever go back to an island or revisit any NPCs. The vast majority of the NPCs you came across were extremely shallow. They just served the purpose of quest automats.
To add insult to injury one of the very few interesting NPCs from Risen 1, the druid Elric, only made an appearance if you bought the Storm Temple DLC. And even then it was more than disappointing what he had to say and how minor his role was.

No, Sir. Risen 2 had vastly inferior NPCs compared to any of PB's previous games. As far as characters are concerned (and on a few other points such as lore, story, credibility, continuity etc.) PB has been on a very steep downward slope since Gothic 2 NotR.
One can only hope that Risen 3 will reverse that trend but I have more than serious doubts about that because the Risen universe is fucked ever since the weird change of setting and the plot holes from part 1 + 2.

I thought the companions in Risen 2 were very well-done and more interesting than the companions in any of PB's previous games. They were more fleshed out, had more unique visual appearances and had unique abilities that made them more useful in combat.

Aside from companions (and the fact that R2 had an actual companion system rather than the quest-specific companions of the previous games), I liked other changes that PB made in Risen 2. Instead of having only a few armor sets that essentially signified your character's progression into godhood, Risen 2 offered a wide variety of individual armor and clothing pieces that let you better specialize in different skills and attributes. I also liked the addition of skill checks in dialogue, something that was sorely lacking from the previous games.

Overall, I do agree that Gothic 2 Gold is PB's best game. However, Risen 2 did make some much-needed improvements and mixed up the formula more than any of PB's other games. If none of the companions from R2 return in R3, I'll be disappointed.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2014, 22:45.

28. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 18:09 Jerykk

While it's true that you have to complete said "challenges" you can not FAIL them if you are methodological.... ie, you rub everything on everything exactly once, and in case of apple quest, you'd have to back-track exactly once and NOT rub it on anything you rubbed it on before

So you're essentially saying that if you can use trial-and-error to overcome a challenge, it doesn't qualify as gameplay? How is that any different from fighting a boss and dying repeatedly, only to eventually defeat him after learning his attack patterns and weaknesses? It's still trial-and-error.

The focus on death as the defining feature of gameplay seems incredibly silly to me. Not all games need to revolve around combat or life-threatening situations. Your distinction between The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us is particularly absurd, given that gameplay is almost exactly the same between them and the only difference is that you can die in TWD if you fail a QTE (which also happens to be one of the worst gameplay mechanics of modern times). And even if you do die, the game just reloads and has you try the QTE again, effectively removing any real penalty to death.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2014, 22:44.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys
7. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys Feb 22, 2014, 17:53 Jerykk

Pretty great that backers get the expansion for free. I got 20+ hours from the first campaign and will hopefully get just as much from the second, all for $15.  

15. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 17:45 Jerykk

Looks like they're ditching the pirate theme, which is disappointing. I thought they handled the theme really well in Risen 2. Risen 3 looks remarkably similar to Gothic in terms of style and setting. Not necessarily a bad thing but nowhere near as interesting as pirates. Risen 2 had some of the most interesting characters of any PB game as well.  

23. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 04:06 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 13:29:
What's wrong with hating Twitter? People should hate it.

And if you want to talk about KS clusterfucks just look at Shadowrun Online. Not only over a year late already they haven't even got a working game yet. And they knowingly couldn't make the game for 500k and had to go out and secure private funding - which they did no disclose at the time - so that's wire fraud right there. Surprised no one has sic'd the feds on them yet.

Yeah, crowdfunding is over.

/glances at headline about Star Citizen reaching $39 million...

No, I'm pretty sure crowdfunding is still going strong. There will always be projects that fail to deliver. This is true of non-crowdfunded games as well. As always, potential backers need to use some discretion and common sense before throwing their money at a project. Do the devs have any verifiable experience in game development? Have they worked on any released games? How involved were they in the development of said games? Can they really make the game they're promising for the amount they're asking? If you can answer all these questions, you have enough information to make a good decision.

22. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 22, 2014, 03:41 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 18:51:
Can we stop calling Broken Age a game? Something without a fail state is not a game.....

By the way, the same way Wolf Among us is NOT a game, you can not fail (don't believe me? ignore all button inputs in all fight scenes...)

They are interactive stories, but not games.

You don't need an explicit fail state to qualify as a game. If a game presents challenges to the player and completing those challenges is the only way to progress, that is gameplay. Broken Age has puzzles that must be completed in order to progress and therefore qualifies as a game.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the second act is longer and harder than the first one. The writing and atmosphere are great but the puzzles were way too easy in the first act.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Banished
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Banished Feb 20, 2014, 03:57 Jerykk

Apparently this has been the top seller on Steam since its release, even beating out DayZ and Rust. No clue how that happened, given the complete lack of hype or marketing and the fact that this appears to be a rather mundane and generic city builder.  

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
25. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 19, 2014, 04:17 Jerykk

noman wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 02:30:
djinn wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:18:
Thought the same. Wasn't there another way he could have passed the baton on to someone else and kept the studio together? If it's only 15 people he's moving on with it seems like an odd decision to axe the rest. Maybe there's more to it? Then again, maybe not.

Take2 owns Irrational Games. There's no way Ken can decide on his own whether a Take2 studio needs to close. It's fairly obvious that Take2 wanted to close Irrational Games, after moderate success of Bioshock: Infinite (considering its six year long development cycle) Ken and fifteen others were given an option to start fresh and rest were let go.

Ken Levine's statement puts a positive spin on this development but he really should have stayed quiet.

Infinite sold over 4 million units. Granted, the six year dev cycle makes that a bit less impressive but not enough to shutter the entire studio. For comparison, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution were in development for about the same amount of time and received about the same amount of sales but you don't see Square shutting down Crystal Dynamics and IO Interactive. It just seems like a crazy decision from Take-Two.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
36. Re: Thief Trailer Feb 12, 2014, 04:36 Jerykk

Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 18:20:
Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 15:15:
banksie wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 15:10:
Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 13:20:
When your main character is a thief, you often have to go above and beyond to make it clear he's not the bad guy and not just some dick taking shit from other people.

No, Garret in the first three games always was a dick out taking shit. In fact it was his decided self interest and lack of wanting to force his ideology on others that was key - his talent and lack of interest made him the fulcrum for change and maintaining the balance. (Thief 1, stop the Pagans. Thief 2, stop the Hammerites. Thief 3, stop the Keepers.)

That was part of the fun of the first two games especially - he wasn't a conventional hero or anti-hero. Garret was the unwilling participant who always generally just wanted to be left alone so he could steal stuff.

I didn't say you need to be strongly motivated, or be the good guy, I said you need a bigger bad guy so that you seem less of the bad guy, relatively.

I think The Trickster fit that, no?

That's fine, but at the end of the day you can still have a big bad evil guy. The corrupt official meant to do good but really secretly lining his own pocket is *so* cliche that it probably owes royalties to someone.

I'd like to see *an* antagonist that isn't a villain.

If by "villain," you mean someone whose only concern is wealth and power, there are some antagonists that don't fit that mold. Loghain from DAO, The Master from Fallout, Comstock from BI, Andrew Ryan from Bioshock... basically any character who was driven by ideals more than greed or power.

News Comments > Thief Trailer
35. Re: Thief Trailer Feb 12, 2014, 04:24 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 22:24:
Quinn wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 17:14:
My favourite anti-hero is actually Loghain, from Dragon Age 1. You know, the guy that decided a tactical retreat was in order, which ended in the death of King Cailen and gray warden Duncan. Phenomenal anti-hero in the prequel book to Origins.

As for Garrett? He's been showing constant signs of being "not evil". In D&D terms he'd be somewhere between Neutral and Chaotic Good, I think.

Sadly that's not all Loghain did. He then pretended the entire thing was the Grey Wardens' fault, declared them outlaws, sent assassins after them, and really really REALLY tried his very best to kill the few people left alive that could actually stop the Archdemon. He also assassinated a few of the nobles who wouldn't fall in line, had one's son tortured in his dungeons to persuade the father to join up, and finally he threatened civil war against disobedient nobles, all while the fucking Blight was at his doorstep.

There wasn't much 'hero' about him. He was just an asshole out for power.

I don't think he was that two-dimensional. I think he did the things he did because he didn't trust Orlais or the Wardens with the future of Ferelden. He was essentially a paranoid xenophobe after the war with Orlais and wanted Ferelden to remain free from foreign involvement of any kind. This was the reason why he let Cailan die. He didn't feel that he could be trusted to maintain Ferelden's independence.

News Comments > Watch Dogs in Q2
17. Re: Watch Dogs in Q2 Feb 11, 2014, 04:28 Jerykk

Being delayed for 6 months right before it was about to be released doesn't bode well for the game. Something must have been seriously wrong for Ubisoft to do that, especially considering it was supposed to be a launch title for the next-gen consoles and was even part of a PS4 bundle.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
3. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 10, 2014, 22:44 Jerykk

AC4 sells 10 million units and that's considered only "solid"? I wonder what their expectations were.  

13947 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo