Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14356 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
16. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 05:37 Jerykk

Kajetan wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 05:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 05:14:
Shadow of Mordor also had a crappy QTE boss fight (and crappy boss fights in general) but I didn't really care because the remaining 99% of the game was great.
And this i dont understand. Devs manage to create an awesome game with good and well thought gameplay mechanics and then, they fuck it all up at the end or at some crucial point of the game. I experienced this too often over the past 15-20 years. This has nothing to do with "Meh, those new games are shite!".

Probably ran out of time/money. Endings are usually rushed and good boss fights take a lot of work.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 05:14 Jerykk

beremot wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 04:03:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 03:21:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 01:12:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 23:47:
The last fight requires quick time events so I recant nearly all praise I have of this game. I don't give a shit if it's even a 'hit any key' button, talk about using bullshit mechanics in a game that had none up until that point.

I'd be willing to trade it for Wolfenstein The New Order now.

Flip-flopper! A great game isn't a bad game because of one flaw. It just has that one flaw. There's plenty of shit wrong with Skyrim, but you ignore it because the rest of the game is that. fucking. good. You're just being overdramatic.

This. No game is perfect and almost every game has some annoying feature or mechanic, whether it be lockpicking/hacking minigames or QTEs.

I like a lot of things about the game and I agree one instance of QTE shouldn't ruin it, but a "lockpicking/hacking minigame" is not quite the same as an ending built around QTEs. The ending of a game should be memorable in a good way, just like the ending for a book or a movie. Fuck up the ending with QTEs and it could leave a lasting negative impression that a hacking minigame would not.

To me, the lockpicking/hacking minigame is actually more offensive because it happens regularly throughout the game, whereas a QTE boss fight comprises maybe 0.1% of the total game experience. Shadow of Mordor also had a crappy QTE boss fight (and crappy boss fights in general) but I didn't really care because the remaining 99% of the game was great.

12. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 03:21 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 01:12:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 23:47:
The last fight requires quick time events so I recant nearly all praise I have of this game. I don't give a shit if it's even a 'hit any key' button, talk about using bullshit mechanics in a game that had none up until that point.

I'd be willing to trade it for Wolfenstein The New Order now.

Flip-flopper! A great game isn't a bad game because of one flaw. It just has that one flaw. There's plenty of shit wrong with Skyrim, but you ignore it because the rest of the game is that. fucking. good. You're just being overdramatic.

This. No game is perfect and almost every game has some annoying feature or mechanic, whether it be lockpicking/hacking minigames or QTEs.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 6, 2015, 02:53 Jerykk

What are you guys talking about? Bundle Stars is probably the second best bundle (Humble Bundle is first). Its bundles are almost always better than the bundles from Groupees, Indie Gala and Indie Royale.  

News Comments > Rise of Incarnates Early Access
2. Re: Rise of Incarnates Early Access Feb 4, 2015, 02:36 Jerykk

They'll probably sell costumes eventually.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 2, 2015, 04:51 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 04:25:
When Dying Light slows down when a zombie grabs you, it's because a whole new and way more detailed zombie face has to be rendered. I don't know if that's poor optimization or a logical side-effect but they could "fix" it easily by allowing the player to disable the detailed zombie facce. I'd be ok with the zombie looking the way it does when it's not grabbing you.

The game still runs weird and crappy on my i5 3,5ghz GTX680. I don't get it. Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the bottleneck is the GPU or the CPU? I'll try the CPU affinity tweak later. If it's my CPU I guess the tweak should make a diff.

Pretty sure it's the CPU. You should overclock it and see if that helps. My i5 is clocked at 4.4 GHz and the game runs pretty decently (50-60 FPS average). You should definitely stay away from Very High shadow quality, as that killed performance on my 670. High seems to run fine.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 21:56 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 21:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 18:26:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:35:
Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:26:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 15:05:
Jesus, idiots gonna preorder sight unseen. >_>

And idiots keep posting stupid shit.

By sight unseen, you mean the PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone versions don't count?

Right, because it doesn't matter how well the game will perform.
I mean come on, it's not like GTA IV's port was a piece of shit that doesn't work properly until this very day ohwaitasecond...

If people are going to preorder anyway, why should they spend any effort doing a proper job? It's going to sell anyway, so why bother?

Exactly. The game itself might be great but the port might be terrible. When it's coming from Rockstar, it's reasonable to expect the latter.

As I said in the post I just made, their only misstep was GTA IV and it still ran and looked better on the PC than the console ports.
It was more of an engine problem than anything before, as it was optimized for CPU and your GPU had little effect on how it ran.

LA Noire was a pretty lousy port too. Capped at 30 FPS, crappy AA, lousy M/KB controls, poorly optimized, etc.

Max Payne 3 was a good port, though, so hopefully GTAV follows suit.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 1, 2015, 18:26 Jerykk

yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:35:
Krovven wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:26:
yuastnav wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 15:05:
Jesus, idiots gonna preorder sight unseen. >_>

And idiots keep posting stupid shit.

By sight unseen, you mean the PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone versions don't count?

Right, because it doesn't matter how well the game will perform.
I mean come on, it's not like GTA IV's port was a piece of shit that doesn't work properly until this very day ohwaitasecond...

If people are going to preorder anyway, why should they spend any effort doing a proper job? It's going to sell anyway, so why bother?

Exactly. The game itself might be great but the port might be terrible. When it's coming from Rockstar, it's reasonable to expect the latter.

News Comments > STRAFE Trailer
6. Re: STRAFE Trailer Jan 31, 2015, 07:20 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 06:12:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 00:57:
If you want to make a good old-school shooter, you need to have interesting weapons and enemies. STRAFE doesn't seem to have either.

I'll reserve judgement until I play it. Halo 1 had bog standard fps weapons but ended up being a fun romp until the library.

How a game feels when you play it is the most important.

Halo wasn't old-school in any way. Super slow movement, regenerating health/shields, linear levels, two-weapon limits... about as far from old-school as you can get.

News Comments > STRAFE Trailer
3. Re: STRAFE Trailer Jan 31, 2015, 00:57 Jerykk

If you want to make a good old-school shooter, you need to have interesting weapons and enemies. STRAFE doesn't seem to have either.  

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
37. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 28, 2015, 12:27 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 11:42:
GTX 680

Turned view distance to 50%. Shadows to low. Performance is still off. Sporadic changes in framerate. To me, this is a telltale sign of obvious performance issues not per se related to hardware.

Weird, I have a 670 with shadows set to medium and view distance set to 40% and I get a pretty constant 60 FPS (except for a weird drop when zombies are grappling me). For me, shadow resolution and view distance were easily the biggest drains on performance. I also have a i5 3570K OC'ed to 4.4 GHz and from what I hear, CPU speed has a large impact on performance.

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
34. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 22:55 Jerykk

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 16:49:
Running 2xGTX 760, 1080P, max view distance and settings except for medium on shadows, depth of field and motion blur off (don't like those effects in any game), v-sync on. Uses 55-60% of my GPUs indoors, 70-80% outdoors, according to Afterburner. Driver 347.25. It doesn't feel like it performs well, though...inconsistent framerate/stuttering.

*edit* new SLI profile as of today, gonna try it and report back

*reporting back* Not GPU limited at all, tried various settings...performance issues are something else.

View distance murders your framerate and is highly CPU-dependent. If you drop the view distance to 50%, you'll see a huge performance boost with negligible impact on visuals.

News Comments > The Witcher III Video; Previews
17. Re: The Witcher III Video; Previews Jan 27, 2015, 03:33 Jerykk

The combat looks almost exactly the same as in Witcher 2, which I didn't have any problems with using M/KB.  

News Comments > Dying Light Steam Preloads
14. Re: Dying Light Steam Preloads Jan 26, 2015, 00:12 Jerykk

It's a good list but you know what, that's what they do for a living, it's their job. They are already doing all that programming, in the first place. It's actually just about targeting and animations, none of which is all that hard. Nor are setting collisions and texture transparencies.

It's not about whether they have the skills to do it. It's about whether or not they have the resources to do it. Games have budgets and schedules. Properly implementing playable female characters and a third-person camera would take additional time and money which might be better spent polishing existing features. GTA5 might be the only example of a game that has well-implemented first and third person cameras and rest assured, they spent a lot of resources on both. There's a reason why GTA5 didn't launch with a first-person mode. They knew it would take time to do it right so they held it back for the current-gen version. Your other examples didn't have good first-person cameras (or third-person, in the case of Bloodlines). Functional? Technically, but obviously inferior and ignored by the vast majority of players as a result.

It really comes down to quantity vs quality. The more features and content you have, the less polished those things are going to be. I'd rather Dying Light be a really polished first-person experience than a shoddy first and third person experience.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "acrobatic maneuvers." Dying Light has plenty of those and there's plenty of precision jumping. Your character has a huge set of combat, reaction, traversal and cutscene animations.

12. Re: Dying Light Steam Preloads Jan 25, 2015, 22:27 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 21:40:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 19:04:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 14:45:
A couple of my biggest disappointments are forced predetermined PC, it's ridiculous we can't roll our own toon male or female. Second is forced FPS, why the hell do we can't we have zoom out perspective if we wish.

You act like implementing a third-person camera and female character are trivial. They are not (unless you're okay with them being janky and broken).
Female characters they've had in games, so the only issue we disagree on is 3rd person camera, which is easy enough that 90% of games feature it. You actually left out the costly part, the extra for female voice. Unless of course we are playing a silent protagonist and can't recall if there's been voice in the videos (most I've avoided).

It isn't a question of implementing a single feature. It's a matter of implementing both. Sure, games have had female protagonists but most games don't let you choose to be male or female. Sure, there are plenty of third-person games but most games don't let you choose between first or third-person cameras.

In order to implement a female character, you'd need:
- A new rig
- New animations
- New VO
- Potentially modified writing depending on whether or not there's anything gender-specific in it.

In order to implement a good third-person camera, you'd need to make a new camera system that accounts for numerous factors, such as:
- What happens when the environment gets between the player and the camera.
- What happens when the camera collides with the environment.
- What happens when a character gets between the player and the camera.
- What happens when the camera collides with a character.
- How does the camera handle the numerous states your character has (jumping, running, crouching, sliding, climbing, rolling, knockback, dropkicking, etc).
- How does the camera handle cutscenes.
- How do you position the camera so the character doesn't block the player's view or interfere with targeting.
- How do you make your animations look good when they were designed specifically to be viewed from first-person.

I've never played a game that had good first-person AND third-person cameras. One or both are always half-assed (see Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3/NV, Tribes, Hitman or ArmA for examples). There's a reason for that. Implementing a good camera system is not easy. Implementing two camera systems is even harder.

9. Re: Dying Light Steam Preloads Jan 25, 2015, 19:04 Jerykk

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 18:44:
This game like most techland games will be nothing but a pile of mediocre shit. Seriously don't get how these clowns are in business, they haven't made anything good. Dead Island was fucking garbage, why expect anything different this time?

Speak for yourself. I enjoyed the first half of Dead Island (the locations in the second half are far less interesting) and I thought the melee combat was great. Probably the most satisfying locational damage system I've seen in any game. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was also very enjoyable.

Dying Light looks like a mix of Dead Island and Mirror's Edge and that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Acleacius wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 14:45:
A couple of my biggest disappointments are forced predetermined PC, it's ridiculous we can't roll our own toon male or female. Second is forced FPS, why the hell do we can't we have zoom out perspective if we wish.

You act like implementing a third-person camera and female character are trivial. They are not (unless you're okay with them being janky and broken).

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal
8. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong $1M Mini-Campaign Goal Jan 25, 2015, 01:17 Jerykk

Saboth wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 18:04:
I just finished up the original, "Shadowrun Returns" today. I wasn't too impressed. The story wasn't great, combat was kind of tedious, and the game felt more like a point and click murder mystery adventure with a few fights thrown in than something resembling X-Com. Limited money, limited upgrades, items, gear, etc. I've heard the Dragonfall game is superior, so I might pick that up on the next sale.

Something resembling X-COM? I feel like you're comparing it to the wrong genre. It's not a tactical strategy game, it's an RPG with turn-based combat.

News Comments > TOXIKK Early Access
11. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 24, 2015, 06:49 Jerykk

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 17:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 16:35:
Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 16:26:
I wish that Tribes 1 or 2 would be remade on a modern engine. Damn I miss those two games. :\

Did you ever play Tribes: Ascend?

Yeah, it was ok. Just didn't feel like a real Tribes game with the unlocks. Plus it didn't have enough gadgets and stuff. One of my favorite things about Tribes 1/2 was setting up turrets and sensors and cameras. There were so many possible loadout combinations in those first two games. Plus the physics seemed better. The maps were better as well. The maps in Ascend are too flat. Not enough Skiing.

I wish Dynamix could be resurrected to make a true 3rd sequel.

Not enough gadgets? T:A had way more weapons and items than any of its predecessors. I actually think that hurt it. I really don't need 10 different spinfusors with slightly different properties. I'll take a small but balanced arsenal over a bloated arsenal filled with generic and/or redundant weapons.

I do agree with the rest of your points, though. The F2P model really hurt T:A because they had to design the game for microtransactions. That's why they switched to a class system instead of the freeform loadout system of the previous games. It's also why they created tons of weapons and items. They needed to have lots of things to grind and/or pay money for.

I don't know if I'd want Dynamix to make another Tribes. The original Tribes was amazing because it was nothing like Dynamix intended. Skiing was never supposed to happen. Disc-jumping was never supposed to happen. Grenade-jumping was never supposed to happen. Mine-discing was never supposed to happen. Heavies were never supposed to soar through the sky. Dynamix wanted Tribes to be vehicle-centric and slower paced (just watch the recordings they included with the game). They tried to restore their original vision for the series with Tribes 2. Vehicles were overpowered, physics were floatier and there was a speed cap, mine-discing was disabled, water was implemented to kill your momentum... the only reason they even kept skiing was because nobody would have bought the game otherwise. Then there was the homing missile launcher, which was created to counter the OP vehicles, then the flare grenades, which were created to counter the OP homing missile launcher. Just a series of poor design choices made to steer the series back in the direction that Dynamix originally intended.

News Comments > Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free
21. Re: Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free Jan 24, 2015, 06:29 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 14:50:
The co-op for the PvE is suppose to be drop in I think, you can turn it off or let random people into your game.

It looks like Dead Island 1.5, now with more grapple hook action and some climbing stuff. I haven't seen any Mirrors Edge type parkour in any of the video demos.

Based on the Persian setting are you killing Muslim zombies? I've seen a few zombie women wearing hijab's.

What exactly qualifies as "Mirrors Edge type parkour?" Dying Light has running, jumping, sliding, climbing, mantling, vaulting and ledge grabbing. All in first-person. That sounds pretty similar to Mirror's Edge.

News Comments > Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free
20. Re: Dying Light Disc Release Plans; Be The Zombie Mode is Free Jan 24, 2015, 06:25 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 00:02:
Well, I am usually one that is right on top of these titles, but the Twitch these 2 dudes did were just gushing over it and trying to convince the people watching how much better and awesome it was over the DI series and that DI sucked so bad.

I get it, they were given the game and probably signed something to the effect of "say good things about this or else" deal, but still, it was a huge turnoff, and I didn't see anything that I was excited about. It was over an hour long......

Now. The climbing walls thing? Doesn't really excite me. I am not excited to act like the characters in AC but killing zombies. The cool thing about AC that grabs me is that the individual is a trained special individual. Unless I am wrong, aren't you just some schmoe in this game?

There are very few people that can scale walls and get to places with strong hands and fingers. And doesn't really fit/work for me in a zombie survival......now, if the back story is that you were a contestant on American Ninja Warrior and while you were waiting your turn BOOM zombies, ok, then I get it, but still not interested.

I guess when I play these zombie survival end of the world games, I guess I kind of want to feel like I am there. That it could happen, etc. Jumping off of a 2 story building and landing on them ala Batman secret silent kill....that doesn't grab me.....sorry (not sorry).

I will wait for everyone to play the hell out of it, and get it for $5.00 this fall when I am maybe finally bored with GTA5 on PC.

Do you really care that much about the fictional training of the fictional character you're playing in a videogame? I tend to be more interested in gameplay myself. For what it's worth, your character is a trained parkour expert, not just some regular joe, so maybe that will help suspend your disbelief.

The real questions you should ask are:
1) Do I like killing zombies in creative ways?
2) Do I like platforming?
3) Do I like running away from zombies?

If the answer to all 3 is yes, you'll probably enjoy Dying Light. It doesn't really seem like you have any interest in platforming or killing zombies so you probably won't like the game.

14356 Comments. 718 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo