Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14066 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transistor
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transistor May 21, 2014, 01:17 Jerykk

The game is $20, not $30.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 23:44 Jerykk

There's no easy way to track hours played per sale. However, the fact that DayZ has stayed in the top 5 (usually top 2) sellers for months speaks volumes of its longevity.

Fads generally don't have any longevity. Goat Simulator was in the top 10 for what, a month? Now it's disappeared. You may not enjoy DayZ but the sales numbers (over 2 million last I checked and not including sales of ArmA2 that stemmed from the mod) prove that you are in the minority.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 19:18 Jerykk

Actually yes, he means meme. It's the current subject of all the funny clips, funny in-jokes amongst the chan crowd and is the current "hip game du jour" that your chan/reddit posers play to seem cool to their friends.

What are you talking about? I haven't seen Minecraft used in any memes for quite some time. People continue to buy the game because they hear good things about it from the people who still play it. The people who still play it continue to play it because they find it enjoyable.

You may not like Minecraft but you are clearly in the minority. Dismissing its popularity as a fad speaks more to your own obtuseness than the quality of the game itself. You sound like someone who saw a Minecraft meme five years ago and assumed that your anecdotal experience is still relevant today.

It's still an "in" thing to do. Same with those sales of Minecraft. I suspect there's an absolutely massive rate of attrition and most people have probably never played more than a few hours at most. Never underestimate the power of peer pressure.

And you make this assumption based on... what, exactly? Your own personal distaste for the game? According to Steam's concurrent player stats, the highest concurrent player count for DayZ was 45,398. Today's peak was 30,001. While obviously a decrease (which is common among most games), the numbers still suggest a high level of retention for a game that's been out for months.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2014, 19:25.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 16:33 Jerykk

DayZ has become a meme like Minecraft did. It's become the current in-thing so people want to be part of it. What I'd really love to see is the average play time clocked by everyone who's recently jumped on board this bandwagon.

By "meme," I assume you mean "fad." Minecraft isn't a fad. It continues to sell like hotcakes years after release. The PC version just broke 15 million sales. The mobile version has sold over 21 million. The console versions have sold over 13 million.

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Ford Runner 2 May 15, 2014, 23:59 Jerykk

Similarly, I don't think any of the problems are with Ford; it's with casting him as a guy who's still 40 years old instead of bringing in fresh faces and new stories. You can tell a good Star Wars story without anything or anyone from the original movies involved. Same with Blade Runner. Maybe not Indiana Jones...

You're assuming that Deckard will be 40 in the movie and that he'll be the protagonist. I think it's more likely that he'll just be a supporting character while a younger actor plays a new protagonist.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Announced
31. Re: Far Cry 4 Announced May 15, 2014, 23:57 Jerykk

Gas Bandit wrote on May 15, 2014, 14:06:
I was sorely disappointed in how consolized FC3 was for PC. The visuals were sub par and the controls were irritating. Which is a shame because the story and advancement system really had me interested. But I just couldn't keep playing.

Also, Uplay is now a deal breaker for me. I already have steam, thanks - I don't need steam AND origin AND uplay AND whatever the hell comes next to serve as yet another waste of resources "hoop" I have to jump through to get to my game.

Subpar visuals? What exactly do you consider "par"? FC3 looked and ran great on PC. It controlled fine as well with M/KB. What specifically did you dislike about them?

News Comments > Gone Gold - Watch Dogs
28. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 15, 2014, 03:58 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on May 15, 2014, 02:31:
Fantaz wrote on May 14, 2014, 23:37:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 14, 2014, 21:31:
saluk wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:44:
Yay can we move on to the next overhyped excessively developed game now? Anyone have any guesses on what it will be or where it will come from?

Without question, it will be: The Division.

Both that game and Watch Dogs may end up being good, but prepare yourself for the media/hype storm that The Division will bring, damn.

the graphics with The Division's Snowdrop engine truly looks current-gen. Watch Dogs graphics are only half-way between last-gen and current-gen.

"next-gen" is now current-gen, so they better start already looking like proper current-gen! we're almost half-way through 2014, so what's taking so long...

Remember how Far Cry 3 was suppose to look at E3 and how it really looked when the game shipped?

FC3 didn't look as good as the debut E3 footage but the final game still looked good. I expect the same to happen with Watch_Dogs.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 15, 2014, 03:55 Jerykk

On the other hand, it is quite hard to believe the developer of Rock Band doesn't have a couple mil sitting around, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Not sure why you would think developers see any of the profits. EA and MTV paid Harmonix during development. Once the game goes live, Harmonix doesn't see any more money until the publisher(s) recoup their costs. Considering all the licensing fees involved, I seriously doubt Harmonix has seen many royalties from the series.

In any case, this kickstarter failed for several reasons:

1) Not enough people cared about the original game to fund a $775k project.
2) Using an IP that Sony owns means they can't offer a PC SKU, which is a definite no-no for any videogame Kickstarter.

It really has nothing to do with any preconceptions about the studio's ability to fund the game themselves. Double Fine, Obsidian, inXile and CIG had no issues getting funding even though they are established developers. Hell, CIG is still getting funding even though they exceeded their original goal over a year ago and have an absurd amount of money. Bottom line is that Amplitude was a niche game with a niche audience and that audience isn't large enough or passionate enough to provide the requested funding. Same thing happened with the Outcast HD kickstarter.

News Comments > The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 3 Released
3. Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 3 Released May 15, 2014, 03:40 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2014, 20:36:
And where in the fucking fuck is the rest of TWAU? Eff you Telltale. Seriously eff you.

Still in development? Not sure what your issue is. It takes about two months per episode of either series. TWAU will very likely be next month.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed May 13, 2014, 18:46 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 17:57:
Couple with the fact that most games don't even do preloads so what the point?

Discounts. It's not uncommon for pre-orders to give you 25-30% off.

52. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 04:07 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2014, 03:46:
[VG]Reagle wrote on May 11, 2014, 23:25:
This thread seems full of trolls if you want my opinion.
Kettle, meet Pot.

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 11, 2014, 23:25:
If I dare actually comment on the subject of the post, I must say that DayZ sucks ass. Not just DayZ but every other zombie game. After the fist 80 zombie games I think we are ready for something new. How about a modern AAA WWII game? Sorry again to actually comment on the subject matter.
Zombie games replaced WWII games because everyone was burned out on them. Doubt it will go back that next cycle. We'll probably move on to Aliens or Vampires or Alien Vampires. Look for WWII games to make a resurgence in 2020 when it will be the 80th anniversary of the war.

Also, there is a AAA WWII game coming out (sort of): Wolfenstein New Order.

Zombie games didn't replace WW2 games. Modern military games replaced WW2 games. Now it looks like near-future military shooters are going to be the next fad.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 00:20 Jerykk

It's weird how MS puts effort into remaking a few select older games from their catalog but don't even bother making the rest of their catalog available online. They could be generating revenue from Halo 1&2, Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Crimson Skies, Freelancer, Starlancer, Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends, Motocross Madness, Midtown Madness, Monster Truck Madness, Impossible Creatures, MechCommander, Hellbender, and even Shadowrun. They wouldn't even need to update or offer support for the games. There are plenty of old games on Steam that don't have widescreen support and/or don't work properly with newer OSes.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure May 10, 2014, 03:12 Jerykk

I wasn't very impressed by the demo. Felt like a mediocre adventure game from the mid-90's.  

News Comments > Capcom Financials
2. Re: Capcom Financials May 10, 2014, 03:10 Jerykk

If Dead Rising 3 had been a multiplatform game, it would have no doubt sold more than 1.2 million.

I still don't understand why publishers even bother with platform-exclusives. Sure, the platform owner will give you lots of free marketing but ultimately, your sales still will be lower than they would otherwise be.

News Comments > Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+
4. Re: Namco Bandai's Profits Down; Dark Souls II Ships 1M+ May 10, 2014, 03:07 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:03:
1.2 across both major consoles after a month, worldwide? That's fucking pathetic.

How so? Dark Souls was never GTA or CoD. It's still a relatively obscure series with a niche audience. $1 million in a month for that kind of game is good.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
56. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 8, 2014, 03:33 Jerykk

There has never been any guarantee that a game will be finished. Plenty of high-profile, full-price games have been released in broken and unfinished states. X: Rebirth, Sword of the Stars 2, every MMO ever made... when you buy a game sight unseen, you get what you pay for. Early Access at least tells you straight up that the product you're buying is buggy and unfinished. Anyone buying said product should be well aware of the risks involved. If they aren't willing to accept those risks, they shouldn't buy it.

Read reviews, watch videos and make informed purchases. That's how you avoid broken and unfinished games. If more people did that, more developers would recognize the importance of quality and consumer trust.

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords in August
6. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords in August May 8, 2014, 02:52 Jerykk

Not sure why Deep Silver is bothering with these CGI teasers. The CGI teaser for Risen 2 was at least interesting. The two teasers released thus far for R3 have been generic and forgettable. I also wonder why they're even bothering releasing the game on consoles. None of the Risen games have sold well on consoles. The series has always appealed almost exclusively to the small PC audience that played the Gothic games.  

News Comments > Bound by Flame Launch Trailer
16. Re: Bound by Flame Launch Trailer May 6, 2014, 04:16 Jerykk

I'm not expecting much. Mars: War Log was mediocre at best and this doesn't really look any different. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 5, 2014, 03:08 Jerykk

RAGE does look good... from a distance. The shortcomings of MegaTextures become all too apparent up close. In order to make MegaTextures look good up close, you have to have even bigger textures, resulting in ludicrous file sizes. Do the benefits of having completely unique textures for every surface outweigh the burden of huge file sizes? I'd say no. I think RAGE and Wolfenstein would look just as good (and probably better) if they used tiling textures due to the fact that tiled textures hold up a lot better up close. They would also require 5 times less HDD space.  

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 4, 2014, 21:06 Jerykk

GamersGate is selling Splinter Cell: Blacklist for $5 (Deluxe edition with 2 extra side missions is a dollar more). Definitely worth picking up if you liked the previous games. I hated Conviction and Blacklist was a welcome return to form. It probably ranks as the second best SC game after Chaos Theory.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TCSCB/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist

EDIT: Whoops, look like it was a pricing mistake or something. Game's not even available anymore.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 00:32.

14066 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo