Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
37. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 13, 2015, 11:27 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 13:13:
El Pit wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 13:00:
WaltC wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 12:43:
Timing is not great...I think they should have waited until the week after they got the EE out of the door...It's hard to justify financing a sequel when the first game remains unfinished. I think that D:OS is a masterpiece...but this KS doesn't agree with my sense of proper timing.

Unfinished? I don't understand. I played through all of D: OS and it was the complete game.

Really? The fact that the second zone basically had no town and placeholder NPCs didn't annoy you? Or that the game shipped with 2 completely undeveloped companion NPCs and the rest of one's party had to be fleshed out by mindless drones?

Wasteland 2's release mimicked Divinity's. The first portion of the game was relatively complete and the bulk of what was shown during development. The latter portion of the game was a rushed mess shoved out the door to hit a self imposed release date, no doubt because development funds were dried up.

Divinity had some great combat that remained fun throughout the game, but it was a fucking TERRIBLE RPG.

Completely undeveloped companions? What? They had personalities, unique dialogue and backstories that became revealed over the course of the game. Also, the second town had unique quests and NPCs. Just not as many as the first. I got about 100 hours of gameplay from the game so it certainly wasn't lacking for content.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released
18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released Aug 12, 2015, 02:53 Jerykk

So... any actual feedback on this DLC? The Deep Roads were almost universally reviled in DAO, so it's strange that they'd base an entire DLC off of it.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
21. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 11, 2015, 12:28 Jerykk

I liked the combat in DA:I. It was pretty tactical when you played on the highest difficulty and enabled friendly fire. The tactical camera was kind of shite, though. Not as bad as DA2's but still clearly an afterthought.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2015, 01:12 Jerykk

I feel like the scale of W3 actually works against it in some ways. Completionists will likely burn out trying to do everything (especially in Skellige where there are like 100 POIs and many of them are pointless treasure caches) and the game gets a bit formulaic after 100 hours. If the game were 40-60 hours long, I think the reviews and reception would actually be even more positive.  

News Comments > The International Results
22. Re: The International Results Aug 9, 2015, 23:59 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 21:05:
CDEC lost the last game when they got rolled by EG trying to take the boss. It was a fairly even match till then.

I feel kind of bad for CDEC. They actually won their first match against EG, then lost the finale. Two matches but only one of them really counted.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March Video Interview
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March Video Interview Aug 9, 2015, 01:30 Jerykk

Would love to know how much they're charging for this. Surprised you can't pre-order it considering that it comes out in a matter of weeks. Launch timing is a bit poor because SR:HK comes out about a week ahead. Would have been better to release it in September.  

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
34. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 8, 2015, 03:44 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 05:40:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 01:57:
NewMaxx wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:52:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 19:21:
F4 doesn't seem like it is really pushing any new boundaries

Really? Huh. I got the opposite impression. New Vegas was more of the same, but FO4 seems to be adding way more advanced crafting, building, city and trade management, a new interface for power suits, a new skill system (from what I understand), better companion maintenance, and a whole lot more. That's what I gleaned from a video or two I've seen anyway. I don't think people want drastically different in other areas - it has to remain true to the Fallout universe and the engine needs to support modding to the extreme. To be honest when I saw the videos I was shocked by how many boundaries it was pushing.

New Vegas was better than FO3 is almost every way. Better quest design, better writing, better skill checks, better balancing, better perks, better companions, etc. It also added a needs system, greatly expanded crafting, a faction system, traits, iron sights, etc. FO4 is adding some new features too but nothing that would make it a better RPG. The writing will no doubt be as terrible as FO3's and the voiced protagonist, coupled with the 4-option dialogue wheel, means fewer dialogue options and less player agency.
Disagree. I didn't care for FO:NV at all. I found it to be a buggy, lazy release. After completing FO3 I had no interest in playing a glorified mod.

You constantly bash Bethesda for its storywriting but I really enjoy their games and think that the worlds they create are really rich and rewarding. You get far too caught up in whether they're good RPGs rather than whether they're good games.

FNV was no more buggy than FO3 (or any of BGS's other games) and I'm not sure why you call it "lazy." Sure, it had some recycled content (almost all sequels do, including the classic FO2) but it also had a ton of new, well-crafted content. I already listed all that stuff in my previous post. If we're going to talk about lazy, we should talk about the skill checks in FO3. Or the companions. Or the crafting. Or the quest design. Or the story. Or the dialogue. Or the loot. Or the perks. Or the lore. Bethesda is good at making big, detailed worlds that are fun to explore but they're pretty bad at everything else.

The Fallout name carries certain expectations with it. The first two games are classic RPGs known for player agency and reactivity with great writing and cohesive world design. It's perfectly reasonable to expect Fallout sequels to retain those things. FNV did, FO3 did not.

24. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 7, 2015, 04:16 Jerykk

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 02:23:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 01:57:
New Vegas was better than FO3 is almost every way.

I disagree, and many reviewers agree with me; FO3 has significantly higher metacritic and gamerankings scores. The New Vegas Ultimate does have a small edge on FO3's GOTY, and players on metacritic prefer NV, but on the whole they come out pretty equal by those standards. To be honest I thought NV was the shit when I played it and I didn't even get through FO3. I changed my mind after Skyrim when I realized packing a game full of 1000 little areas is actually annoying and detracts from my enjoyment. I went back and replayed FO3 with GOTY and mods and that tighter narrative was much more enjoyable, and it seems FO4 is going back that way.

Don't get me wrong, FO3's story isn't going to win awards and NV (especially some of the DLC) had some awesome writing, I'm just talking outright enjoyment. My initial pass went fully to NV; after Skyrim (which bored the hell out of me with its tediousness) and a replay of FO3 and NV with GOTY/Ultimate + DLC + mods, I actually swing back in favor of FO3. I couldn't stand another game filled with 1000000000 of the same looped-ass dungeon type areas like NV and Skyrim have. Bottom line, I am a completionist type player but frankly I'm getting too old for that crap and I just want to sit down and enjoy a straight narrative sometimes, and news flash the average gamer is getting old enough to appreciate that along with me.

I do otherwise agree with you in general about Bethesda games and the good writing in NV, but I don't necessarily consider NV vastly superior.

FO3 got better reviews because it was made by BGS. Anything made by BGS gets tons of hype (and thus, better reviews). Spinoffs made by different developers (F:NV, Arkham Origins, God of War: Ascension, Gears of War: Judgment, etc) carry the stigma of simply being "more of the same," even if they improve and expand upon their predecessors in meaningful ways. Many players will just ignore them entirely because of that stigma. FO3 had interesting dungeons, no doubt, but that's really the only area where FO3 might surpass FNV. In every other area, FNV is the superior game and the proper sequel to FO2.

On a side note, FO3 had plenty of "looped-ass dungeon type areas." Specfically, the entire subway system. FNV didn't really have repetitive dungeons or interiors. It just had a lot of empty dungeons and interiors. You'd go into a building and there'd be nothing inside except some scrap. FO3 generally did a better job of filling each location with something interesting. It's just too bad the quests, crafting, companions, dialogue, skill checks, loot, perks, story, etc, were so lackluster. If you ignore all the things that make RPGs good, FO3 is the better game. Otherwise, FNV takes the cake.

News Comments > Mad Max Specs
10. Re: Mad Max Specs Aug 7, 2015, 02:05 Jerykk

The visuals look fine to me and the requirements don't seem unreasonable at all. This is 2015. If you play PC games and you don't have at least 8 gigs of RAM and a video card made within the past three years, you're doing it wrong.

Also, this is being developed by Avalanche, makers of Just Cause 2 which had a great PC port. Also, after the Arkham Knight and MKX debacles, I'm pretty sure WB isn't going release another shitty port.

21. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 7, 2015, 02:01 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 19:57:
I am nearly done with The Witcher 3 and, even though I think it set a new standard for the open world RPG, it could have ended 50 hours ago and I would have been just as happy.

Unlike Witcher 3, Fallout 4 will have a feature that will let you build a fortress from trash you collect out in the wasteland. Every item you pick up will have materials you can use. So instead of blindly selling everything to vendors you now have to decide whether that junk in your inventory would be better for your fortress. Also there will be random attacks on your fortress so you'll need to build up defenses with weapons. You can also hire NPCs for protection. From what I saw this part of the game looks just as fun as the game itself.

I wish Witcher 3 had something like this for end game. Regardless I load up Witcher 3 on occasion and ride around the beautiful countryside, amazing scenery of Skellige and the sights and sounds of Oxenfurt and Novigrad, watching the sunrise or sunsets. It's an awesome chill simulator. I'm looking for the NGE+. Really want to replay but I don't want to start over at level 1.

Eh, the settlement feature seems pretty tedious to me. I don't really see any point in building a settlement filled with generic, lifeless NPCs that I don't care about and having to constantly defend said settlement against annoying raiders and mutants. Seems like a gimmick more than anything else but people seem to like it. I expect they'll tire of it pretty quickly once they get their hands on it.

20. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 7, 2015, 01:57 Jerykk

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:52:
F4 doesn't seem like it is really pushing any new boundaries

Really? Huh. I got the opposite impression. New Vegas was more of the same, but FO4 seems to be adding way more advanced crafting, building, city and trade management, a new interface for power suits, a new skill system (from what I understand), better companion maintenance, and a whole lot more. That's what I gleaned from a video or two I've seen anyway. I don't think people want drastically different in other areas - it has to remain true to the Fallout universe and the engine needs to support modding to the extreme. To be honest when I saw the videos I was shocked by how many boundaries it was pushing.

New Vegas was better than FO3 is almost every way. Better quest design, better writing, better skill checks, better balancing, better perks, better companions, etc. It also added a needs system, greatly expanded crafting, a faction system, traits, iron sights, etc. FO4 is adding some new features too but nothing that would make it a better RPG. The writing will no doubt be as terrible as FO3's and the voiced protagonist, coupled with the 4-option dialogue wheel, means fewer dialogue options and less player agency.

Basically, FO4, like all of BGS's other games, will offer a big, detailed world that's fun to explore but severely lacking in the things that make RPGs good.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Trailer
12. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 02:31 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 17:16:
This is going to be another lame linear FPS game, Call of Duty: Korean Town edition.

I'm pretty sure this one will be open-world. The gameplay footage seems to suggest that, with the player hacking a relay point to uncover POIs on the map.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Announced
6. Re: Halo Wars 2 Announced Aug 5, 2015, 02:28 Jerykk

Surprising that SEGA would allow CA to work with MS on this. Publishers usually don't farm out their internal dev studios to other publishers.  

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2015, 15:27 Jerykk

I seriously doubt EA will just abandon the C&C franchise entirely. The RTS genre isn't selling as well as it used to be, so they're probably trying to figure out how to monetize it.  

News Comments > SUPERHOT Beta
6. Re: SUPERHOT Beta Aug 1, 2015, 18:51 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 12:29:
Looked really awesome until it got a name, and a trailer saying it over and over.

Those things have been around since the game was first announced.

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
59. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 30, 2015, 00:02 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 08:43:
chickenboo wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 19:51:
I'm fed up with developers sticking to what works and creating entry upon entry within each series. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim; C&C Red Alert 3; Assassin's Creed 5 Unity; Fallout 4; Far Cry 4; Wolfenstein TNO (tho I did love The Old Blood); the list goes on. It's just like the rehashing of films from the 90s and 80s, it's not fresh material, it's just remaking the same thing I've already experienced.

The games which have delighted me the most in the last five years have been Faster Than Light, Alien Isolation, Trine 2 (coop, never played Trine 1), and Team Fortress 2. All have been fresh, exciting experiences for me that had me pining for more time to play them when I was out doing things.

If you think that Alien Isolation, Trine and Team Fortress 2 were fresh experiences, you're pretty out of it. These 3 games are carbon copies, with a different paint job, of a lot of other games.
Alien : Penumbra series, Amnesia, Outlast, etc...
Trine : Lost Vikings, every flash platformer
TF2 : Team Fortress, TFC
FTL is the only original thing in your list.

What? TF2 doesn't play anything like the original TF or TFC. Trine was unique in that it was a physics-driven puzzle platformer with three player co-op. Alien Isolation was unique in that it was a big-budget survival horror game where you actually needed to hide and run away instead of killing stuff.

No game is ever going to be 100% original. However, that doesn't make them "carbon copies" as you put it.

As for innovation, it was a lot easier to innovate in the 80's and 90's because gaming was a brand new medium. Innovation is a lot harder after 20+ years worth of games have been developed.

News Comments > Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week
20. Re: Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week Jul 28, 2015, 15:18 Jerykk

2K and Rockstar are owned by Take-Two but are run by different people. 2K has a history of strong PC support (XCOM, Civ, Mafia, Borderlands, Bioshock) so I'm not really worried about the quality of Mafia 3's port.  

News Comments > The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game+ Mode Coming
30. Re: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game+ Mode Coming Jul 27, 2015, 22:53 Jerykk

It's "New Game+", not "Game+"

That aside, I'm not sure what the point of this is. You only have 12 skill slots and those will all be filled by the time you beat the game. After that, leveling is pretty pointless because you won't be able to use any new skills that you unlock.

I guess you could reset your skill assignments and try different builds, but you could do that in the first playthrough as well.

On another note, about the "too much content" argument, I don't think it's a case of too much content. The problem is how the content is presented. In Skyrim for example, there's a ton of content and it's never "too much". The problem with Witcher 3 is that the content is pushed into your face as soon as possible and you clearly know where it is at all times. You quest list becomes massive really fast because of the flashing job boards that you feel obligated to click on. Having these hundreds of quests makes you stressed about completing them, especially since if you wait too long, some quests will no longer give you worthwhile rewards. It's just stressful and unpleasant. You eventually get tired of the game before completing it because you've pretty much done everything.

I only felt that was a problem in Skellige where there are about 5 billion POI markers on the map and the vast majority of them point to loot chests. The loot you find isn't good enough to justify the time and effort spent in retrieving it. Unlike Novigrad and Velen, where POI markers almost always pointed to something interesting, most of the markers in Skellige do not.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2015, 23:01.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
23. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 27, 2015, 04:58 Jerykk

Also, Doom was fucking fast. It was faster than any iD game ever released before or since.

Eh, not so sure about that. Quake with strafe jumping is pretty damn fast.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 26, 2015, 05:58 Jerykk

I've never had any issues with Indie Gala. Bought quite a few bundles from them.  

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo