Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 13833 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced
35. Re: Zombie MMORPG H1Z1 Announced Apr 11, 2014, 04:26 Jerykk

Seems almost exactly like DayZ, only with larger scale and probably less depth.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed
13. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed Apr 11, 2014, 04:23 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 02:38:
this moba shit is garbage imho

You ever play one?

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 12:32 Jerykk

In general, there is nothing inherently worse about F2P versus the "normal" gaming environment, and it does come with a huge bonus in that you can literally try it before you buy anything.

The inherent problem with F2P is that it requires developers to design their games around monetization. If a game doesn't support microtransactions, it can't be F2P, which means a lot of games simply wouldn't exist if F2P were the only option. Games like Amnesia, Bioshock, Skyrim, XCOM, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Deus Ex, GTA, Saint's Row, etc, wouldn't exist because their designs don't support infinite microtransactions.

F2P certainly has its place but to claim that it's the future of the industry rings hollow.

News Comments > Secret Ponchos PC Plans
6. Re: Secret Ponchos PC Plans Apr 10, 2014, 01:02 Jerykk

I'd love to see a CRPG set in the old west.  

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2014, 04:39 Jerykk

Each episode is between 1-2 hours long. Assuming the next two episodes maintain that trend, the total hours will end up being between 6-8 for most people and that's if you don't bother replaying anything. For $15, that's a pretty good deal these days, even if you choose to wait until all the episodes are out before starting.

You act like they're just half-assing the series but from what I've played thus far, that certainly isn't the case. I'm already enjoying it more than both seasons of TWD.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2014, 00:04 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:43:
Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:39:
Prez wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:30:
And the series is $15! Hmmm...

I'd wait. It will probably be heavily discounted when it's complete and you won't have the ridiculous wait between episodes. I won't buy another Tell Tale game before it's complete again.

It's a very good game if you know the sort, I definitely recommend picking it up when the final episode is released.

Exactly right. Wait for the bargain bin. And do not buy TT games before they're finished.

I don't really understand this logic. If you think it's a very good game, why wait until it hits the bargain bin? Is it not worth $15, even if the last two episodes aren't out yet? When all the episodes are out, that'll be 10+ hours of quality gaming.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Requires Uplay
14. Re: Watch Dogs Requires Uplay Apr 8, 2014, 12:26 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 11:00:
UPlay doesn't run when the game isn't running. Perhaps I'm misremembering but I don't remember seeing UPlay run except when playing Far Cry 3 and I didn't jump through many hoops to do this. That's a big plus IMHO. Although Origin's a decent client it expects to be running all the time and requires system-tray vigilance.

Steam's fine because most of the games I play are on there and there's value to having it run (background downloads, friend list/chat) but there's only one Origin title I regularly play and there's only a couple of patches a year.

Uplay is a client just like Steam. You have to launch it first before you can play games that use it. If you launch a game first, it will usually launch Uplay automatically. After you quit the game, you have to manually quit Uplay as well.

News Comments > GeForce Beta Drivers
20. Re: GeForce Beta Drivers Apr 7, 2014, 18:48 Jerykk

Actual benchmarks show these gains are not quite so large in practice. A 1-5 FPS gain on average, though some games actually perform worse than with previous ones. Don't expect these drivers to make any discernible difference in most of your games.  

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
48. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 7, 2014, 12:26 Jerykk

Towyn wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 08:31:
jimnms wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 03:59:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 20:52:
One thing I haven't seen any confirmation on is if the Steam version requires Uplay. It's not listed in the requirements like it is for other games requiring Uplay.

It will definitely require Uplay regardless of where you buy it. All of Ubisoft's first-party games require Uplay.

If you look at the Steam store page's system requirements on all of those titles it specifically says it requires a Uplay account. The store page for Watch_Dogs does not.

On a note, South Park does not require UPlay either, Ubisoft seems to finally get the hint that Steam + UPlay is not necessary and keeps UPlay off Steam games

As Creston said, South Park wasn't a first-party Ubisoft title. The lack of Uplay in the requirements for Watch_Dogs is just an oversight. I can guarantee that the game requires Uplay regardless of where you buy it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 7, 2014, 01:58 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 00:52:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 22:34:
Well the popularity may have been a happy accident for them, but Goat Simulator is absolutely a product of overblown social media hype, and if you missed that you've kind of been under a rock lately. Couple guys at the studio fool around for a month learning Unreal Engine and spoofing the simulator genre, and share the ludicrous result on YouTube to become a viral sensation. They get loads of people asking them to make it a full game, so they take a few months to add on to it (but also preserving many of the wacky bugs and glitches that made it so entertaining), and cash in on April Fools' Day. I'm glad it worked out for them, I guess, especially since their more serious attempts at game development have seen underwhelming success, but this is basically a PC version of Flappy Bird flash in the pan fad shit.

What exactly are you talking about? They made Sanctum and Sanctum 2. Sanctum 1 was successful enough to fund development of the sequel which has a 77 on Metacritic and was released on console as well.

A game doesn't need CoD numbers to be a success if it is profitable for the studio making it.

I think he was talking about relative success. I don't think any of the Sanctum games ever made it into the top 10, let alone number 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Goat Simulator was already more profitable than all of the Sanctum games combined. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the devs were already working on a sequel. They surely weren't expecting the game to be this successful and it would be silly to ignore that success.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 6, 2014, 23:47 Jerykk

sfMadMax wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 20:08:
How is Dayz still on here?

It's been in the top 5 (usually top 2) ever since it was released. Why would you be surprised that it's still there?

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2014, 23:45 Jerykk

Grokk wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 23:18:
I want to play this game, but I'm torn between getting it for the PC, or the PS4.
I never really liked GTA4 on the PC, and V worked fine for me on the console, but I'm primarily a PC gamer.

FPS games are a no brainer for playing on the PC, but the 3rd person stuff seems to work just as well on a console, provided that it has some sort of auto-aim.
On the other hand, maybe KB+M will work. *shrug*

If you have a good PC, the game will very likely look and run better on it than it will on PS4. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me.

23. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 6, 2014, 20:52 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 19:57:
So hey, with the $14 GMG credit (or $10 cash back), on the deluxe, or $9/$12 on the non deluxe, any opinions on if this game is worth getting?
I've not heard much about it.

The hacking stuff is definitely interesting, though the last minute 6-month delay is a major cause for concern. A game needs to be pretty damn broken for a publisher to delay it at the last second for that length of time, especially when it was supposed to be a launch title for a new generation of consoles.

Then there's the issue of how Ubisoft typically handles open-world games. That is, with an excessive amount of generic collectibles and generic, repetitious side missions. They definitely focus on quantity rather than quality and Watch_Dogs may be no different.

Will definitely be waiting for reviews.

One thing I haven't seen any confirmation on is if the Steam version requires Uplay. It's not listed in the requirements like it is for other games requiring Uplay.

It will definitely require Uplay regardless of where you buy it. All of Ubisoft's first-party games require Uplay.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2014, 21:08.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor in October
21. Re: Shadow of Mordor in October Apr 4, 2014, 12:31 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 06:39:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:11:
InBlack wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 05:20:
No one is pretending anything, you cant ever take something like Tolkien, or Tolstoy or Homer and call it generic. Its wrong, you are wrong. Even your analogies are wrong. Coke was the original soda drink, it still holds that title even though it spawned countless copies and derivatives.

Now you're just arguing semantics. Coke was original, yes. But that's no longer the case. As you said, there are countless copies and derivatives. When somebody says "Coke," they may not even be referring to Coca-Cola specifically. They could be referring to Pepsi or any other brand. Any value that Coke's originality may have had is now gone. Similarly, any value that LotR's originality may have had is now gone. Compared to other fantasy settings, it doesn't feel unique or interesting anymore. At least, not to me. You may still enjoy it but you can't really argue that it's still unique or innovative in today's world.

Ok fair enough, so you dislike Tolkien and find his work boring. Thats not the same as calling it generic, because it ISNT. Also you are the one that is taking things out of their historical context. Would we even have 'GENERIC' fantasy if it werent for Tolkien?

There's a key difference between "is" and "was." Tolkien's work is generic because there is now tons of fantasy fiction that's very similar to it. However, Tolkien's work was original when it came out because there wasn't much like it. I'm not saying that Tolkien's work was never unique or innovative. I'm just saying that it isn't anymore. Just like zombies or Coke or electricity or space marines or cars were once unique and exciting but ceased being so once they became common and expected. Nothing can diminish their original accomplishments but when judged by modern standards, those qualities are no longer applicable. That's all I'm saying. If this was 1954, I'd likely enjoy the LotR setting. But now, in 2014, my standards have changed and the setting doesn't hold any appeal. There are simply too many other fantasy settings that are more unique and innovative.

18. Re: Shadow of Mordor in October Apr 4, 2014, 05:11 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 05:20:
No one is pretending anything, you cant ever take something like Tolkien, or Tolstoy or Homer and call it generic. Its wrong, you are wrong. Even your analogies are wrong. Coke was the original soda drink, it still holds that title even though it spawned countless copies and derivatives.

Now you're just arguing semantics. Coke was original, yes. But that's no longer the case. As you said, there are countless copies and derivatives. When somebody says "Coke," they may not even be referring to Coca-Cola specifically. They could be referring to Pepsi or any other brand. Any value that Coke's originality may have had is now gone. Similarly, any value that LotR's originality may have had is now gone. Compared to other fantasy settings, it doesn't feel unique or interesting anymore. At least, not to me. You may still enjoy it but you can't really argue that it's still unique or innovative in today's world.

17. Re: Shadow of Mordor in October Apr 4, 2014, 04:46 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 12:37:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 04:35:
A unique and innovative work is certainly original when it is first created but after countless imitations and derivatives, it can no longer be considered unique or innovative.

What the fuck? If you create something completely new (and to be fair, Tolkien didn't really invent Fantasy, like a lot of people think, but he certainly birthed its incredible popularity explosion) and then people copy that, it causes YOUR work to be devalued? So in essence you are saying that if you create something innovative, you should try to make it poorly enough so that it spawns no imitations?

Benjamin Franklin discovered electricity, but because we now all know how to use a light switch, he's just become boring?

This is the most ridiculous argument you've ever made. Literally.

I never said that things shouldn't spawn imitations. I suggested that originality isn't eternal. Franklin's discovery of electricity is a perfect example. When it was first discovered, it was amazing. Revolutionary, even. Now? It's mundane because the novelty has worn off. Electricity has become standard and expected. Generic. Somebody else mentioned zombies. When Night of the Living Dead was released, zombies were fresh and innovative. Would you honestly argue that they are still fresh and innovative? No, because that would require you to ignore the existence of every other piece of zombie fiction. Qualities are subjective and inevitably change as standards change.

Think of it like this: When Doom came out, it had amazing graphics. Would it still be accurate to describe those very same graphics as amazing? No, that wouldn't be accurate at all because the context has changed. Compared to modern games, the graphics aren't impressive at all. Same applies to Tolkien's work. It was original when it came out. Now? Not so much. Context changes everything.

If you enjoy Tolkien's work, that's fine. But surely you recognize how generic it is when viewed in a modern context? To ignore that fact would be no different than claiming that Doom still has amazing graphics. I may have phrased my criticism too strongly, as people have obviously taken offense to it. But don't let that offense get in the way of logic. Nobody can take away the accolades that The Hobbit and LotR deserved when they were originally released. But the quality of these works must be judged by current standards and by modern standards, they are generic and uninspired. I can think of countless other fantasy settings that are far more interesting. Planescape, Divinity, Torment, Dragon Age, even Elder Scrolls. Are they all derivative of Tolkien's work to some extent? Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that they've added enough unique ideas to stand out on their own.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2014, 05:03.

News Comments > Daylight Delayed for Scariness
11. Re: Daylight Delayed for Scariness Apr 3, 2014, 22:24 Jerykk

Saw some walkthrough footage of this the other day. It seems like the procedurally generated levels have made the game more tedious than scary. Lots of generic and repetitious corridors and plenty of dead-ends. It felt like you were randomly wandering around a maze and stumbling upon collectibles that would let you open a door to escape the maze.  

8. Re: Shadow of Mordor in October Apr 3, 2014, 04:35 Jerykk

You do realise that Tolkien invented Middle Earth and its inhabitants because he felt that the British lacked any legends or myths that were purely their own? (Like the Nordic Sagas for example). It is true that most fantasy is based on Tolkien's work but that only makes Tolkien original rather than generic...

Tolkien's work was original when he wrote it 70 years ago. Unfortunately, it has since become generic for the vary reason you mention: almost all fantasy fiction since then has been inspired by it. Coke was original when it was first invented too. It's no longer original now that there are so many derivatives of it. Even space marines were original when they were first invented. Not so much anymore. You can apply this to anything. Shooters, platformers, puzzle games... all unique when first introduced but no longer.

A unique and innovative work is certainly original when it is first created but after countless imitations and derivatives, it can no longer be considered unique or innovative. Works must be judged within a contemporary context. You can't pretend that every other fantasy work featuring orcs, dwarves and elves doesn't exist. If we did that then everything would be original because we'd ignore everything that came after.

5. Re: Shadow of Mordor in October Apr 3, 2014, 01:37 Jerykk

I think this has potential despite my dislike of LotR. The setting and lore are completely generic and uninteresting but if the gameplay is as open-ended as the previews suggest, I can overlook that.  

News Comments > Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?)
23. Re: Thief Save Game Issue (Joke?) Apr 3, 2014, 01:35 Jerykk

Hoss, it is your unwavering, condescending, corporate shill-like support for this game in spite of it's obvious crapitude that completely erases, for me, any relevancy for anything thing you have to say about any PC game ever again.

I'm a shill now? Because I have a positive opinion of a game I've actually played as opposed to a negative opinion of a game I've never played? Whatever you say, hoss.

Honestly, though, if you want your opinions of games to be relevant, you need to actually play said games. Otherwise you're just parroting other people's opinions and that doesn't make for compelling arguments.

13833 Comments. 692 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo