Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14066 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Human Head on Prey 2
6. Re: Human Head on Prey 2 Oct 31, 2014, 22:16 Jerykk

I thought the first game was great and was looking forward to the sequel. Bethesda claims they canceled it due to quality issues but from what I've read, it had more to do with Human Head refusing to let Bethesda buy them out. I find that entirely plausible, as Bethesda hasn't published a third-party game in years and has acquired every studio they've worked with.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Evil Within Demo
16. Re: The Evil Within Demo Oct 30, 2014, 22:49 Jerykk

Wow, a demo from Bethesda. When was the last time that happened? I think I'll give it a go, as I've been on the fence about the game.  

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway
5. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Includes DLC; Preorders Underway Oct 30, 2014, 15:56 Jerykk

Sega is usually pretty good with ports so I'm not overly concerned.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Oct 29, 2014, 03:30 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 22:36:
Meh. Infinite's DLC is still expensive as fuck. I'm hoping the Steam Xmas sale offer will be more attractive like $9.99 for the complete edition.

The season pass routinely goes on sale for $5.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
15. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 29, 2014, 03:07 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 15:08:
What a weird game to port: going on seven years old.

PC gamers missed out on this genre entirely: Front Mission, Fire Emblem, Disgaea...

That genre being... turn-based strategy? Pretty sure PC has plenty of that.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Plans?
3. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Plans? Oct 27, 2014, 23:09 Jerykk

Nice! Hopefully Sega eventually ports Vanquish to PC as well.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One Oct 26, 2014, 07:15 Jerykk

Unity games can look and run great but you have to know how to optimize them properly. Reducing draw calls is key and there are lots of Unity-specific tricks that can help you do that. I'm guessing Red Thread didn't do any of them for Dreamfall Chapters. Because Unity is so easy to use, it's very easy to be sloppy and do things in really inefficient ways.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One Oct 22, 2014, 12:25 Jerykk

The first episode is more than 3 hours if you are thorough. The city hub is pretty big and there's tons of stuff to interact with and dialogue to listen to.

That said, the game runs really poorly. Like, sub-30 FPS poorly in many cases. Peformance is highly variable and really seems to bog down in certain areas. Even when you turn down all the video settings, you only gain like 10 FPS. This makes me think the game is mostly CPU-dependent, which is a common sign of poor optimization. My CPU is no slouch either (i5 3570k overclocked to 4.4 GHz).

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 04:29 Jerykk

I don't care about loot or leveling (I think Diablo and its ilk are terribly boring) but I thought BL2 was enjoyable. The combat was fun, there was a nice variety of enemies and the writing was humorous. No, it wasn't even remotely as deep as an RPG but if you're comparing Borderlands to an RPG, you've got the completely wrong mindset. Borderlands is a shooter, first and foremost.  

News Comments > Hatred Announced
28. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 17, 2014, 02:30 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 23:22:
doesnt look like postal in that it seems un-humorous.. looks pretty disturbing - its made specifically for "trenchcoat mafia" types, gratuitously so

i wonder if it will start getting press, seems pretty freaky

The original Postal had little to no humor. It was pretty dark and morbid. Hatred could very easily be mistaken for a remake.

My issue with both Postal and Hatred is that mowing down defenseless civilians just isn't very interesting. Where's the challenge? Where's the depth? Shock value doesn't compensate for boring gameplay.

News Comments > Hatred Announced
14. Re: Hatred Announced Oct 16, 2014, 22:57 Jerykk

Flame me for getting my panties in a bunch all you want, this is nearly as bad as 'A Serbian Film' only in interactive form.

Eh, that's a bit of a stretch. I'm pretty sure this game won't have fatal skullfucking, necrophilia, incest or newborn baby rape.

That said, it's pretty obvious that the developers went this route hoping that the controversy would get them a lot of exposure (and therefore sales). Postal was pretty much the exact same game and its controversial theme didn't really make it a chart topper.

Ultra violent games only succeed if they have the gameplay to back them up. Doom, Carmageddon, Mortal Kombat, Soldier of Fortune... violence got them attention but compelling gameplay is what got them sales.

The wholesale slaughtering of humans in games by real humans is meaningless, it's been done in hundreds of titles preceding this one. Postal ring a bell? The Moscow Airport in COD? GTA? Saints Row? They're no less "realistic" than this.

The difference is that killing civilians isn't the focus of games like GTA or Saint's Row. In addition, their depiction of NPC deaths is generally comical and not gory in any way.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
47. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 11, 2014, 16:41 Jerykk

Cpmartins wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 10:08:
Well said. After watching some gameplay trailers, I'm not impressed. A lot of people not even using the Tactical Overlay, just pressing those awesome buttons and facerolling through. Strong wait and see on this one, yet my hopes are up and I'd love for it to be good.

I'm pretty sure Normal difficulty will be a joke and won't require any tactics or strategy, just like in DA2. However, Nightmare difficulty should be the exact opposite (again, like DA2). At this point, you should be playing all mainstream games on the highest difficulty anyway. Normal difficulty is designed for casual gamers, not gamers that have been playing games for 20+ years.

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
90. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 23:18 Jerykk

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 16:18:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 16:03:
NewMaxx wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 15:50:
Exactly. He probably feels 30 FPS is more "cinematic." Hey, many if not most people prefer movies at 24 FPS over 48 FPS. It's not at all unreasonable to suggest the guy actually feels a lower frame-rate helps set the atmosphere.

In the case of movies, there's a reason. At 48FPS the glaring issues with the CGI start showing up very easily, if you saw the first two hobbit movies in the theater you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It wasn't a case of "how things looked" it was a case of "things looked unrealistic" because of how they were rendered. In the case of games, the lower your fps look the more unrealistic they look. Remember all those games that used motion blur to cover up the fps problem and make it look smoother.

Allow me to refer you to this article on AC: Unity's decision.

Alex Amancio, the game's Creative Director, reiterated this point: "30 was our goal, it feels more cinematic" and "you don't gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn't look like the real thing. It's a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird."

So I stand by my original point that the designer very well might have decided on 30 FPS for that artistic reason.

You... you don't actually believe that nonsense, do you? If developers were truly going for a cinematic experience, they'd go for 24 FPS, not 30. However, 24 FPS looks and plays like shit. 30 FPS is the lowest you can go before becoming offensively bad. In essence, it is the minimum playable framerate for the average person.

30 FPS is a compromise, not a goal. When you opt for 30 FPS, you've decided to prioritize visuals over playability. 60 FPS is objectively smoother and more responsive than 30 FPS. If developers would just come out and say that they're targeting 30 FPS because they want to maximize the visuals, that would be fine. However, this "cinematic" drivel has got to stop. Games are not movies. Standards that work for film do not necessarily work for games, nor should you even aspire to follow said standards when you're making a product in an entirely different medium.

It seems that Japanese developers are woefully out of touch with PC gaming. Dark Souls, Killer is Dead, Naruto, Evil Within, FF13... their developers don't seem to have any understanding of what PC gamers expect.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2014, 23:24.

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Launch Trailer
1. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Launch Trailer Oct 7, 2014, 04:44 Jerykk

Really hope this turns out well. The gameplay footage (not shown in this trailer) seems pretty promising.  

News Comments > METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December
13. Re: METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES w/4K Support in December Oct 7, 2014, 04:43 Jerykk

Might be willing to pay $10 for this... maybe. Probably end up going with $5, though.  

61. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 12:28 Jerykk

Weapon masters are immune to the "finisher" that automatically completes a flurry. This is why you have to break off your flurry prematurely and start over again. Basically you're stunlocking the warchief until he drops dead.

By "finisher," I meant the finisher where you press F and stab the dude with your sword, not the automatic head explosion.

News Comments > Game Reviews
30. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2014, 03:50 Jerykk

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:08:
I knew this game was going to suck. They should have made it more of a survival co-op game and less single-player crappy save point console game. Why do game designers insist on releasing games like this that no one wants? I mean, how many games do you have to see fail before you go in a different direction?

What are you talking about? Tons of people wanted to see a single-player survival horror game set in the Alien universe. As for the save system, that's a design choice, not a console limitation. There are plenty of console games with quicksave. Isolation is a survival horror game. It relies on tension. Quicksave destroys tension because it removes any sense of risk or consequence. If you're making a survival horror game and you have quick save, you've already failed.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 03:40 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 03:19:
harlock wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 00:13:
DarkCntry wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 23:38:
Here's a trick for you...get one of the Warchiefs up to like level 19, make sure he has no weaknesses...then tell me just how easy it is. Oh, and make sure he's a Combat Master, that makes sure you won't rely on the streak attacks or just use stun+flurry.

got killed by a "legendary" captain once, he got promoted and started dual wielding these posion axes.. after a while he got up to lvl 18, started pissing me off because he kept showing up at the worst times when i was fighting other dudes

so i marked him and got his intel, dude had invulnerability to everything - stealth, ranged, melee.. hate of defeat, also regeneration... he had fear of caragors but was a monster slayer so he could kill them instantly

anyways, once i found him i slaughtered all his cronies and started pounding on him trying to figure out how to kill him

we were dueling in a heavy rainstorm, in the middle of an open field, all alone because i massacred everyone around him

went back and forth for 10 minutes, as i slowly figured out how to beat him, whittling him down one little sliver at a time

it was so fucking epic - like some movie level shit.. - and yet it was totally unscripted sandbox stuff

Once you were behind him (if he was even immune to stuns from the front) you could've stunned him and flurry him, then stop the flurry right before it ends and stun him again, then flurry him again. That's how you kill combat masters. Either that or you get them to a ledge and bash them over it.

So far I haven't met a single enemy that is immune to stuns from the back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

*SPOILER ALERT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP COMBAT INTERESTING*

Stuns are pretty OP and can be used to effectively neutralize any captain regardless of strengths or weaknesses. Stun, flurry, finisher, repeat until dead. Even Combat Masters can't defend themselves when stunned. Some captains can't be stunned from the front but you can just vault over them and stun them from behind (if you don't have the ability that automatically stuns them when vaulted over). I never encountered any captains that were both immune to vaulting and frontal stuns, but I guess it's theoretically possible. I think they should have added a strength that makes captains completely immune to stuns.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
26. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 5, 2014, 17:55 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 20:27:
mellis wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 20:09:
Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:13:
Obsidian is behind schedule. Gee...what a surprise.

In fairness, it's a silly time to put out such a title. There is literally a glut of games on the horizon, all competing for our dollars - and it would be a really big shame if Pillars of Eternity didn't get its share of it.

If you've played the 'Backer Beta', they are onto something special. It really is a spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games, with all the next-gen FX bells and whistles. But, it's not quite there yet...

It has such insane potential, that it would be a shame for them to fall at the final hurdle by pushing out a poo.

Yeah, but the thing is...it's already paid for. Call me impossible but I have this thing about people meeting their commitments, keeping their promises, being on time, etc. Particularly when it's related to an agreement about something I paid in advance for. But hey, that's just me.

Are you an investor? Does the game need to released within a specific fiscal quarter to make your stockholders happy? Is your boss going to get pissed if the game isn't released on time? No? Then who cares? Why would you want Obsidian to rush a game when they have a history of rushed games that would have benefit greatly from having more time? Why would you want any developer to rush their game to meet arbitrary deadlines when doing so is detrimental to the game's quality?

Principles mean nothing if you don't consider their actual repercussions.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
25. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 5, 2014, 17:46 Jerykk

Bethesda seems to want to use idTech 5 for all their games now. RAGE, Wolfenstein, Evil Within, Dishonored 2 (rumored)... it wouldn't surprise me if they want BGS to use the engine too. Of course, idTech 5 is a total piece of crap and probably not mod-friendly so that's going to be problematic for BGS. Also, if a game of modest scope ends up being 50+ gigs because of MegaTextures, imagine how obscenely huge an RPG would be... I shudder at the thought.  

14066 Comments. 704 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo