Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free DLC Tuesday
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free DLC Tuesday May 2, 2015, 03:06 Jerykk

Illumin wrote on May 1, 2015, 21:13:
Id just like to see the ability to zoom out further with the tactical camera (along with better camera controls).

I think they've already added both through patches. I know they added a toggle for mouselook so you don't have to hold RMB.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Clue?
16. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Clue? Apr 30, 2015, 12:30 Jerykk

Definitely looking forward to a sequel. I enjoyed the first game quite a bit.

The city in WD wasn't alive enough.

How so? There were tons of NPCs walking around and doing ambient activities. You could hack into each one's phone, learning their identity, hobbies, medical history, etc, and eavesdrop on their conversations. The NPCs in WD were more interesting than the NPCs in any other open-world game.

I'm not sure I can put my finger on exactly what was wrong with the game, but the shooting and movement felt off to me. The protagonist also seemed flat and boring from the little I played. I wasn't even hyped on the game; I picked it up when it was on sale (after multiple patches), not expecting much, and I still found it underwhelming. I love open world games in general, but compared with Saints Row 4, GTA5, Infamous Second Son (and First Light), Sunset Overdrive, and even AC: Rogue, I found WD really subpar.

WD starts off pretty slowly. All the interesting abilities are locked behind the skill tree, the first set of missions aren't that interesting and the interesting side-missions aren't immediately available. Also, the game is generally more interesting if you play it like a stealth game (and enjoy stealth games). The combat was okay but trying to sneak around using hacking to distract and manipulate guards was way more compelling.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2015, 12:37.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released
10. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 29, 2015, 12:33 Jerykk

It isn't an RPG. It's pure combat. It has more in common with XCOM than Shadowrun Returns or Dragonfall.  

6. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 29, 2015, 02:31 Jerykk

Apparently the last update added a lot of features, content and bug fixes that significantly improve the game. Most of the negative reviews are from the Early Access period where the game was pretty barebones.

That said, the price tag seems a bit hefty. $30 (25% off the regular $40 price) while SR and SD are only $15 each at full price?

2. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Released Apr 28, 2015, 23:16 Jerykk

Yes.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
12. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Apr 27, 2015, 23:17 Jerykk

bigspender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 22:34:
EDIT: I am however pretty excited about what looks to be like some kind of coop mode, with coop moves (batman helps robin jump onto an enemy at 1:49). I've wanted a coop mode in these games, so this will most likely do it for me (provided they don't force the tank stuff too much)

Pretty sure it's not co-op. You'll be able to switch between characters in certain sections of the game.

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
24. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 27, 2015, 23:11 Jerykk

I think this would have been received very differently if it had been done with a different game. DotA2, CS:GO and TF2 have already monetized mods and nobody complains about them. This is because those games didn't have very strong mod communities to begin with. Conversely, Skyrim has had a strong modding community for 4 years. When you take things that used to be free and start charging for them (like popular Skyrim mods), people are going to get upset.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Apr 26, 2015, 22:09 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 21:12:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 18:57:
That said, some of my friends that played and liked Dishonored also liked this new Thief game. I have not played Dishonored yet (I know, the shame) but I assume it has something to do with the similar "focus" gameplay mechanic where you can slow down time to execute skills and moves with precision.

That tells you all you need to know. Dishonored is built around the protagonist exhibiting rare, magical abilities, but Thief? It's supposed to be more grounded than that.

Nonsense. All of the Thief games have had magical elements, whether it be zombies, skeletons, ghosts, beasts, elementals, mages, giant spiders, steampunk robots or magic potions that turn you invisible or let you fall in slow-motion. And again, the new Thief can be completed without ever using Focus mode. In fact, if you look at the enemies you face, the new Thief is more grounded than any of the previous games.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 26, 2015, 21:39 Jerykk

Thief is well worth $6 if you enjoy stealth games. You don't have to kill anyone. You can ghost your way through almost every scenario. The levels, while not as large or as open-ended as the ones in the previous games, are way more dense and packed with more stuff to steal. Focus mode is completely optional and can even be disabled if you lack self-control. Game controls fine with M/KB. People who claimed that the game is more casual than the previous games obviously didn't mess around with the custom difficulty settings. You can turn off every assist and make the game as difficult as you want it to be (and way more difficult than the previous games).

The story isn't great but it's not bad by videogame standards. I don't really understand why some people were so offended by it. The previous games had good writing, sure, but nothing particularly classic. People act like the first two games were on the level of PST or something. As for cinematics, yes, there are more than in the previous games but they still comprise a tiny portion of the game. I put almost 50 hours into Thief and maybe 10-15 minutes of that was cutscenes.

Really, most of the complaints about Thief are based on ignorance and/or some nostalgia-driven need to treat even the slightest nitpicks as if they were game-breaking issues. The new game is certainly inferior to its predecessors in some ways but superior in others. Judged as a standalone entry in the stealth genre, it's a good game.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2015, 21:56.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - unofficial Patch 9.3 Apr 26, 2015, 07:16 Jerykk

Still amazing to see the support this game gets almost 11 years after release.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 19, 2015, 21:38 Jerykk

If that were true then we should be seeing new games from the most obscure or rare genres in the weekly top 10 all of the time but that is obviously not the case at all.

I don't think it's that simple. Most obscure or rare games don't have built-in fanbases whereas space sims already have a small but very passionate fanbase (see Star Citizen). Throw in the Elite brand, Braben's involvement and the pretty graphics and it's unsurprising that Elite is doing well.

If the Steam Spy numbers are accurate, PoE is doing pretty well compared to the other Kickstarter RPGs. It already has over 300k owners in less than a month since release. Wasteland 2 has 360k 8 months after release. Divinity has 770k 10 months after release. Shadowrun Returns has 740k almost two years after release.

I'm pretty sure PoE will at least match Divinity's success in the long-term. All of the aforementioned games have had some pretty significant discounts while PoE has only been selling for full price. I expect a lot more people to pick it up during the upcoming summer and winter sales.

Steam charts aren't very useful because they don't provide any numbers and are based on revenue instead of units sold. The lack of numbers makes it difficult to determine how successful any one game is. Cities Skylines, for example, has already sold over a million units, which is more than any Kickstarter RPG (Divinity included). Being on top of the charts for weeks might mean you're selling millions or that you're simply outselling other games during that time period. I find SteamSpy to be a much more reliable source of sales data.

Finally, the peak concurrent player counts are interesting to see as well. Divinity's peak was 21,953. Wasteland 2's was 18,576. Shadowrun's was 24,242. PoE's is 41,787. In less than a month, PoE has already reached a higher concurrent player count than all of the other Kickstarter RPGs. That could be construed as players being more interested and invested in PoE than they were with its peers and that bodes well for its long-term success.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2015, 22:00.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 19, 2015, 20:28 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 20:13:
Pillars has dropped surprisingly fast. Elite Dangerous has been around since December 16 last year and with its 6DoF gameplay is arguably WAY more niche than BG clone PoE.
Yet it's still ahead of PoE and of course no sale to be seen anywhere for both games which might explain the difference.
With the high popularity of PoE and the almost exceptionally raving reviews (contrary to ED which has had only mostly positive but more mixed reviews), I really have just one single conclusion here: Grats to David Braben for making the right choice (at least from a business POV) when he introduced the always online DRM of ED.
At the same time, DRM-free PoE is probably getting freeloaded left, right and center so it's falling fast off the charts.

Elite Dangerous is a space sim. PoE is a CRPG. There are more CRPGs than space sims on Steam. Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall, Dead State, Age of Decadence, Underrail, Banner Saga... finding a good CRPG on Steam is much easier than finding a good space sim. Less competition = easier to stand out.

Also, Elite Dangerous has really nice graphics and a super slick presentation overall. The same can't be said for any of the aforementioned CRPGs.

For what it's worth, Steam Spy shows PoE having more than triple the amount of owners than Elite Dangerous. 300k (74k backers) vs 70k (25k backers).

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming
29. Re: Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming Apr 18, 2015, 22:54 Jerykk

The second city wasn't as big as the first and didn't have as many quests, but what was there was well-done. Every RPG becomes more linear and has less content towards the endgame and PoE is no different in that regard.

As for character progression, I felt that every level up had meaningful, tangible results. Wizards/priests/druids got access to new spells, other classes got access to new actives and passives. Playing as a level 12 character is a significantly different experience than playing as a level 1 character, not just in terms of power but also in terms of options.

27. Re: Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming Apr 18, 2015, 02:24 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 21:01:
Translated to PoE with a party of six that would equal a level cap of about 40 by the way or each character would level up every 2.5 hours on average going with the 100 hours total game time figure. That's hardly stressful or anything. Even if it was only HALF that, it would be infinitely more interesting than their stupid low level cap which makes every level-up and character progression about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Wouldn't less frequent leveling make leveling more exciting since your choices are more meaningful? For example, in Fallout 3, you got a perk every level and it wasn't long before you had all the perks you wanted and were just picking perks at random. Conversely, in New Vegas, you got a perk every other level, which made your choices more interesting because they actually mattered. The more frequent the rewards, the less rewarding they feel.

The only issue I had with PoE's leveling system was that you never got to increase your attributes. I understand the need for balance but considering how many skill checks relied on arbitrary attribute levels, it would have been nice to get an extra attribute point every 3 or 4 levels. Not enough to upset the game's balance but enough to help you qualify for more skill checks.

Well I'm not playing PoE for its perfectly forgettable story, bland NPCs or its stock high fantasy setting. I play mostly for combat, which is kept a lot more interesting via continual character progression.

Sounds like ARPGs are more your thing. 100% combat and the sole compulsion is loot and leveling.

14. Re: Pillars of Eternity Version 1.04 Released; Beta Patches Coming Apr 17, 2015, 16:01 Jerykk

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care about leveling. I play RPGs for interesting choices. PoE's quest design offers many interesting choices even without XP rewards.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
21. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 23:25 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 22:50:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 22:47:
Really wish they'd stop using "ghost" incorrectly. "Ghosting" is when you sneak through a game without being detected, without neutralizing any NPCs and without destroying anything. Basically, you leave no traces of your existence behind, hence the term "ghost."

Killing/knocking people out in a stealthy manner is not ghosting.

There's nothing that specifies that that is how you have to ghost. You CAN ghost through while never touching anything except for a few required keypads.

I do agree that they award the Ghost XP too easily.

"Ghost" is a term created by stealth genre enthusiasts to describe a very specific way of playing stealth games. If "ghost" was defined simply as "sneak around without being detected" then there would be no meaningful distinction between "ghosting" and "stealth." "Stealth" by its very definition means avoiding detection.

Now, I'm not saying that you couldn't ghost (using the meaningful definition of the term) through most of DX:HR. You definitely could, as that's what I did. However, it never ceases to irk me when developers use "ghost" interchangeably with "sneak." It's not the same thing.

And no, nin, you can't define it however you want. If you could do that, words would have no meaning. The term "ghost" was created to mean something specific, much like the term "QTE" was created to refer to a specific feature. "QTE" does not exist in the dictionary but that doesn't change the fact that it means something very specific to the people who use it.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
15. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 22:47 Jerykk

Really wish they'd stop using "ghost" incorrectly. "Ghosting" is when you sneak through a game without being detected, without neutralizing any NPCs and without destroying anything. Basically, you leave no traces of your existence behind, hence the term "ghost."

Killing/knocking people out in a stealthy manner is not ghosting.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
12. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 17:24 Jerykk

This KS has been pretty dubious from the start. When they first launched, it was going to be an MP-only game. I believe they said that they could only add SP as a stretch goal or something. Now SP is included by default with no change to the required funding? $600k is nothing. It's nowhere near enough to develop a 3D game with both SP and MP.

Toss in the fact that none of the developers have ever worked on a Descent game (or any other 6DoF shooter) and this is probably going to be a big disappointment, if it ever even gets finished.

News Comments > Trine 3 Trailer
8. Re: Trine 3 Trailer Apr 11, 2015, 06:40 Jerykk

I'm not digging the color tints in the footage and screens released so far. Seems like every area has a very saturated purple/green/blue tint. I remember the previous games having a much more vibrant array of colors.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
36. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Apr 11, 2015, 06:38 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 06:15:
Lord Tea wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 05:09:
Wow, what a really well done trailer. Now, if they only showed PC mouse/kb gameplay - I'd preorder that thing - immediately.

siapnar wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 21:15:
Just out of curiosity, what are the cards some of you guys are running (or going to run)?

GTX 970 here. Xmas buy. No regrets

GTX 970 also. Great card imo. But I got seriously pissed by how Nvidia handled the 970 VRAM fiasco. Looks like most folks have already forgotten about that but my next card will definitely be AMD powered, no matter what.

Anyone with a GTX 970, will you be so kind as to PM me with your GTAV performance findings the 14th? Or post it in the ship ahoy thread? Pessimistic me cannot believe my GTX 680 can live up to my standards with this game and I'm already having a monster of a dilemma whether I'll be buying the GTX 970 or 980. Ofc 980 will be the better choice except that it's almost twice as expensive!

Just buy a 970 and overclock it. You can match stock 980 performance without much effort. The Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming is apparently the best overclocker.

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo