Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14352 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - République Remastered
6. Re: Ship Ahoy - République Remastered Feb 27, 2015, 03:39 Jerykk

Alamar wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:41:
I have no comments on the game(play), and I like Unity, and what Unity 5 is adding... But I don't understand why a very not graphically impressive game is making such a big deal about being the first Unity 5 released product...

Because it helps them gain publicity? Republique is featured on the front page of the Unity website. The game also looks better than most games that use Unity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
26. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 12:25 Jerykk

Are there any benchmarks that prove that performance drops when over 3.5 gigs are used or are people just complaining for the sake of it?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 22:23 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 20:45:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 20:26:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 17:40:
Never really understood the point of playing against bots. If you're going to do that, why not just play an actual single-player game? It'll be a better experience in every way.

SP campaigns tend to be linear, scripted experiences, akin to "playing" a movie. Sometimes I just want to play an arena-style game, where I am in charge of the narrative myself:
- grab the Apache
- fly it to the enemy waypoint
- nuke all the enemy soldiers there
- parachute out and capture the waypoint
- defend it against enemy attempts to recapture.
- Game ends, and I can feel satisfied in my accomplishments.
I can do that with bots alone or with my brother without having to deal with all the crap that human beings I don't know throw out: invective, aim cheats, rage quitting, booting you if you kill too many people, etc.

In addition to what Prez and Aero said, this petition to get bots into BF4 sums things up pretty well.
1) They make multiplayer accesible for persons who dont play online (yes, many of these people still exist)
2) They allow a player to practice all of the game modes at any time with a full compliment of combatants.
3) They dont curse, cheat, complain, or leave the match when loosing.
4) They allow for a full game without any lag, slowdown, or dropout.
5) They provide great opponents Vs. teams of humans (once their difficulty is turned up).
6) They cause a game to have infinate replay value.
7) Even if we can only play alone (no Lan) with Bots, it would be a great opportunity to practise all of the vehicles. Online it is very hard to practise new types of vehicles.
Agreed.
I still remember the fun matches I've played in UT with/against bots. Feeling a bit tired tonight, reflexes aren't top notch, no worries lower the bot difficulty and just have some fun for 30 minutes to an hour. Let some steam out at the end of the day.
Feeling lucky? Let's fire up the online MP and see how it goes. Frustrating? No problem back to bot matches.
It was so nice to have options.

Online MP can be fun, but unless you play with friends, it is a total crap shoot.

Fair points. To me, the appeal of multiplayer comes from the unpredictability of human opponents and satisfaction of defeating them. Bots don't really provide this and if I want to fight AI, I'll just do it in a proper SP game that has interesting level design, story, etc.

But I can see how fighting against bots as a means of unwinding could be appealing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 22, 2015, 17:40 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 16:37:
Quinn wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 14:02:
The Evolve guys should really look long and hard at their DLC fuckup. The game was riding the clouds pre-release. PR was doing a good job. Then the DLC announcement arrived with all of its bravado, and the reputation came down like a fat kid trippin'.

It's a shame.
The game is actually real fun.

Meh, there was a lot of skepticism even before the DLC fiasco regarding price, longevity, depth of play, repetition, griefing, "fun factor," etc.

I'll say this though, there's an offline play with bots (and coop with bots filling in) so I'll buy the GOTY version in a couple of years once all the DLC is included. Just don't see the point right now.

Never really understood the point of playing against bots. If you're going to do that, why not just play an actual single-player game? It'll be a better experience in every way.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 22, 2015, 17:33 Jerykk

They really need to put The Dark Mod on Steam with Workshop support.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 21, 2015, 19:56 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 10:35:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 05:55:
walrus1 wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 22:38:
Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 19:37:
KS should be legally obliged to either refund people's money of fund the development themselves. Until then I'm done with them.
I agree they should refund money lost on it. It seems to me at least that more and more people are creating kickstarters and then vanishing a few months after they are funded.

Kickstarter has never guaranteed that Kickstarter projects will be finished. That's the responsibility of the people creating the projects. When you back a project, you aren't pre-ordering a product. You aren't entering into a legally-binding contract. You are not making an investment. You are, for all intents and purposes, offering a donation to someone because you like their ideas. That's it.

You are entering into a contract. It's a purchase agreement. Most of you people around here have no idea what even constitutes a contract. Verbal agreements are still legally binding contracts everywhere one earth. It's absolutely no different from buying a car or anything else where you pay up front before delivery. The contractor must strive for and attempt to deliver what was agreed upon and paid for or as close as possible - and even then the contractee still has to agree to it or they're permitted to terminate the agreement with no penalty to them. If you buy a royal blue car and the dealer says 'Well we managed to get everything you asked for except the color. It'll have to be pink. Is that ok?' Then the terms of the deal weren't fufilled and the contract is vacated ab initio.

Same with the changes in KS agreements. Yes, it's reasonable that software changes over time. However there are limits. Like Molyneux very obviously changed his mind and decided to turn Godus into a mobile game. There isn't a court in the land that wouldn't come down on the side of the consumer. Most people simply aren't going to spend the time and money to recoup their $20 in Small Claims Court. They should however because they'd also be entitled to exemplary damages. More importantly they'd make it harder for con artists to keep conning people.

I've sued several people successfully over the years. Hell, I'm in the process of suing my municipality right now. My bone of contention here is that KS profits from these scams and is therefor liable under comparative negligence. They haven't been called on this yet, but they will one day and soon. I can't wait to see what happens.

Good luck with that. Kickstarter explicitly states that they are not a store, that creators are responsible for their own projects and that projects may not go as planned. When you back a project, you do so with that understanding. It's like gambling. Just because you put money down doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get money back. Backing a Kickstarter project is a gamble and as such, you accept the risks when you agree to back it.

If you want to sue specific project creators, then you might have a chance (though realistically, if they failed to deliver, they probably don't have enough money to offer compensation anyway). But Kickstarter makes it all too clear that they are not responsible for what happens to your money.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Stress Test
12. Re: Dirty Bomb Stress Test Feb 21, 2015, 19:41 Jerykk

I like that they're emphasizing run and gun instead of iron sights. Iron sights are far less interesting and slow down the game's pacing.

That said, the weapons look pretty boring and the game doesn't have the one cool thing about BRINK (the parkour system).

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 21, 2015, 05:55 Jerykk

walrus1 wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 22:38:
Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 19:37:
KS should be legally obliged to either refund people's money of fund the development themselves. Until then I'm done with them.
I agree they should refund money lost on it. It seems to me at least that more and more people are creating kickstarters and then vanishing a few months after they are funded.

Kickstarter has never guaranteed that Kickstarter projects will be finished. That's the responsibility of the people creating the projects. When you back a project, you aren't pre-ordering a product. You aren't entering into a legally-binding contract. You are not making an investment. You are, for all intents and purposes, offering a donation to someone because you like their ideas. That's it.

News Comments > Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought
35. Re: Anachronox & Other Square IP Pitches Sought Feb 19, 2015, 04:49 Jerykk

chickenboo wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 13:50:
The scary thing is what if it catches on?
EA: Who wants to create CoD 12? Whoever recieves the most funding from a kickstarter campaign with our IP gets the rights to make the game and share in the profits. Just don't come to us expecting any funding help!
Console Owner #1: CoD Kickstarter? shutup and take my money!

Flawed logic. If Square had any interest in these IPs, they wouldn't be letting people use them for games that generate revenue. Most publishers only fund games from their own internal studios these days. In the rare occasions where they outsource a game, they still take all the revenue. That's not the case here.

If the writers behind Anachronox decided to kickstart a sequel, I'd definitely back it. That said, I'm not sure Kickstarter would be able to get enough money for the project. Games are expensive, especially when they're 3D and have a lot of VO (like Anachronox). It would cost at least a million to make a worthy sequel and that's being conservative. Dreamfall Chapters managed to earn $1.5 million in backing but Dreamfall/TLJ is a much more established brand than Anachronox. In addition, Dreamfall Chapters had to be split up and sold in episodes (like Broken Age) so that the developers could generate additional revenue during development.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Feb 17, 2015, 22:38 Jerykk

That Humble Bundle is a great deal in the unlikely event that you don't already own most/all of the games included.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 15, 2015, 19:33 Jerykk

GamersGate occasionally has good deals. They had Killer Is Dead for $6 the other day, which is the cheapest it's ever gone for. Sadly, these deals are few and far between.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Lucius II
6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Lucius II Feb 14, 2015, 21:51 Jerykk

It is kinda silly that Steam refuses to sell games that focus on sex but has no problem with games that revolve around brutally murdering innocent people. That said, America's like that in general so it's not Steam-specific.  

News Comments > Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales
8. Re: Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales Feb 14, 2015, 21:48 Jerykk

Lord Tea wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 05:18:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 22:35:
Hrm, that's great for Techland, and potentially terrible for my machiavellian strategy of buying it on sale, soon, for $9.99 or less.

Seriously, congrats Techland.

Steam sale buyers, prepare to shed a tear.

Not shedding a tear. SOON is the key word here. At $60 this game is waaaaaaaay overpriced. I can wait until the price comes down to say $30. Not in a hurry to get a zombi shooter, there are plenty of excellent and more reasonably priced games available.

It's not a shooter. 90% of the combat is melee and you spend most of your time traversing the environment. Also, the game has tons of content (over 40 hours worth) so $60 seems pretty reasonable.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
32. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 03:51 Jerykk

Ouch, brutal interview. That said, I don't think Molyneux is a liar. I think he's just naive and incompetent. Despite his 30 years in the industry, he doesn't seem to really understand how development works which is why his games are always late and over budget.

That said, anyone backing Godus should have already known this. If you give Peter Molyneux money and expect him to deliver a game on time with all promised features, you are an idiot. It's also important to recognize that Kickstarter is not a store. You are not pre-ordering these games. Instead, you are basically just donating money to ideas. It's best to think of it as patronage.

News Comments > Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales
3. Re: Dying Light Tops U.S. January Sales Feb 14, 2015, 03:13 Jerykk

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 22:35:
Hrm, that's great for Techland, and potentially terrible for my machiavellian strategy of buying it on sale, soon, for $9.99 or less.

Seriously, congrats Techland.

Steam sale buyers, prepare to shed a tear.

Given how well it's selling, I doubt it's going to drop to $10 anytime soon. Maybe in a year?

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
9. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 12:32 Jerykk

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 10:57:
I had high hopes for the game....but I think that trailer sinks them.

Animation and models both looked very weak. It felt like the slo-mo was there just to cover up how janky the movements were. And why the devil does every single Genestealer have his ovapositor sticking out?

sigh.

You do realize that this CG trailer was very likely outsourced and has nothing to do with the developers, right?

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
16. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 05:37 Jerykk

Kajetan wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 05:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 05:14:
Shadow of Mordor also had a crappy QTE boss fight (and crappy boss fights in general) but I didn't really care because the remaining 99% of the game was great.
And this i dont understand. Devs manage to create an awesome game with good and well thought gameplay mechanics and then, they fuck it all up at the end or at some crucial point of the game. I experienced this too often over the past 15-20 years. This has nothing to do with "Meh, those new games are shite!".

Probably ran out of time/money. Endings are usually rushed and good boss fights take a lot of work.

14. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 05:14 Jerykk

beremot wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 04:03:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 03:21:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 01:12:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 23:47:
The last fight requires quick time events so I recant nearly all praise I have of this game. I don't give a shit if it's even a 'hit any key' button, talk about using bullshit mechanics in a game that had none up until that point.

I'd be willing to trade it for Wolfenstein The New Order now.

Flip-flopper! A great game isn't a bad game because of one flaw. It just has that one flaw. There's plenty of shit wrong with Skyrim, but you ignore it because the rest of the game is that. fucking. good. You're just being overdramatic.

This. No game is perfect and almost every game has some annoying feature or mechanic, whether it be lockpicking/hacking minigames or QTEs.

I like a lot of things about the game and I agree one instance of QTE shouldn't ruin it, but a "lockpicking/hacking minigame" is not quite the same as an ending built around QTEs. The ending of a game should be memorable in a good way, just like the ending for a book or a movie. Fuck up the ending with QTEs and it could leave a lasting negative impression that a hacking minigame would not.

To me, the lockpicking/hacking minigame is actually more offensive because it happens regularly throughout the game, whereas a QTE boss fight comprises maybe 0.1% of the total game experience. Shadow of Mordor also had a crappy QTE boss fight (and crappy boss fights in general) but I didn't really care because the remaining 99% of the game was great.

12. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 7, 2015, 03:21 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 01:12:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 23:47:
The last fight requires quick time events so I recant nearly all praise I have of this game. I don't give a shit if it's even a 'hit any key' button, talk about using bullshit mechanics in a game that had none up until that point.

I'd be willing to trade it for Wolfenstein The New Order now.

Flip-flopper! A great game isn't a bad game because of one flaw. It just has that one flaw. There's plenty of shit wrong with Skyrim, but you ignore it because the rest of the game is that. fucking. good. You're just being overdramatic.

This. No game is perfect and almost every game has some annoying feature or mechanic, whether it be lockpicking/hacking minigames or QTEs.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 6, 2015, 02:53 Jerykk

What are you guys talking about? Bundle Stars is probably the second best bundle (Humble Bundle is first). Its bundles are almost always better than the bundles from Groupees, Indie Gala and Indie Royale.  

14352 Comments. 718 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo