Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14086 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 02:20 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 17:58:
I find a lot of the combat encounters to be really unbalanced and aggravating so far. It's more grinding than fun at this point. I don't think 1SP per level cuts it. Makes things far too slow. And the UI still needs a lot to be desired - sticky windows, stackable hotbars, etc.

Have you hired any mercenaries yet? I was having trouble until I hired two, then things got a lot easier. Also, mages are pretty much mandatory for crowd control. That's pretty standard for party-based RPGs.

Also, some of the complaints about D:OS are the same nearly every turn-based game has. Blackguards, POR2, Wiz8, ToEE...especially the targeting swaying enemies thing. I can't tell you how many times I've flubbed up rounds in ToEE because I clicked the floor instead of a stunned enemy. It's really hard to avoid that kind of stuff when your commands are required to be confirmed by clicking on something that is only a few pixels wide.

There are ways you can minimize that. Toning down the idle and fidget animations so there's less swaying, for example. Also, it looks like the characters in D:OS have very accurate collision, which seems unnecessary in a game like this. A simple collision box would work just fine and make it much easier to target things.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 02:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
37. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 6, 2014, 04:33 Jerykk

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 17:26:
GOG reports it as 'coming soon'.

Also, the fact that it is turn based, but the screenshots heavily imply otherwise is curious. Only that it is in the turn-based games category lets you know what type of game it is.

Especially when the first Divine Divinity isn't turn based and you are just as likely not to search GOG for turn-based but instead by the title or other category.

How can screenshots show whether or not a game is turn-based? By the presence (or lack) of a visible grid? Not all turn-based games have visible grids (Skulls of the Shogun, for example). The Feature trailer for D:OS explicitly says "Tactical Turn-based Combat" and the game's description mentions it too so I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer
21. Re: Far Cry 4 $130 Kyrat Edition Detailed; New Trailer Jul 5, 2014, 16:36 Jerykk

The E3 demo looked entirely plausible to me. It was basically just FC3, only with elephants. I was relatively apathetic towards the game when it was announced but now I'm interested.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
18. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 16:33 Jerykk

I'm liking the game but the UI could use some work.

1) There's no hotkey for "Take All."
2) The container window doesn't automatically close when you click the Take All button or walk away.
3) You can sort your inventory using filters but those get reset whenever you close your inventory window, forcing you to redo the filter every time.
4) Crafting requires that you combine things that aren't always in the same item category (like weapons and ingredients), forcing you to use the General window that shows every item in your inventory.
5) You can't resize the inventory window.
6) There's no Auto-Arrange button to rearrange your items when you've removed one.
7) Your companions each have their own individual money and key inventories.
8) When bartering, your offers get reset when you switch between characters.
9) There's no hotkey for switching between ranged and melee weapons, forcing you to use up two slots in your hotbar.
10) You can't adjust the width of your hotbar.

It's weird that none of these issues were addressed during the game's Early Access period. Surely people complained about them?

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Indiependence Sale
9. Re: Green Man Gaming Indiependence Sale Jul 5, 2014, 15:22 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 12:52:
The Playfire Rewards is crap. You can only earn money from select new games.

That's not true at all. They often give rewards for older games as well. Right now you can get money for Crusader Kings 2, Skulls of the Shogun and Stealth Bastard. None of those are new games. Within the last month, they've offered rewards for Shogun 2, Driftmoon, Giana Sisters, Prototype 2, DmC, Duke Nukem Forever, Stanley Parable, Rome 2, DIRT, GRID, etc. There's plenty of variety. Since the program began, I've earned almost $150 in credit.

News Comments > Escape Dead Island Announced
11. Re: Escape Dead Island Announced Jul 2, 2014, 02:36 Jerykk

Trevellian wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:37:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:33:
Does Techland not own the rights to this series anymore? Because all these recent Dead Island games are being made be other developers; this one in particular is being made by FatShark.

Pretty sure Deep Silver owns the IP. Not that it matters, the first game sucked, I'm sure the second game sucked, the MOBA is a waste of space, and this will be shit too.

Why they think they have a franchise in Dead Island i don't understand.

Why they think they have a franchise in Dead Island i don't understand.

Because Dead Island sold well enough to warrant milking? Publishers don't milk something unless it makes them money. For what it's worth, the original DI wasn't bad at all. A little bit janky and largely misrepresented by the initial teaser video but the combat and exploration were great fun. The last third of the game should have been cut but the first two thirds were good.

As for this new entry in the series, it's too early to judge. The stealth and psychological horror aspects could be interesting. I don't really like the art style but that's something I can easily overlook if the gameplay is up to snuff.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3 Jun 28, 2014, 02:53 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 09:06:
So the second is really good? Ive ignored these games on account of the first one being a horrible showelvare piece of shit, which somehow still managed to sell well...

What? Are you thinking of Sniper: Ghost Warrior? Because the original Sniper Elite was pretty solid. 76 Metacritic average.

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
34. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 23:37 Jerykk

Incredibly shady. Almost all of the footage shown is from the STALKER games, with no clear distinction made by the developers. They even mix STALKER footage with VO talking about Areal. There's no way that they aren't trying to misrepresent the product.

Also, $50k is not even remotely enough for a game of this scope.

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
20. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 23, 2014, 05:07 Jerykk

Fluid v-synced 30fps > inconsistent 60fps.

30 FPS is never "fluid." Playable, yes. Fluid? Not even close. As for "inconsistent" 60 FPS, it depends on how inconsistent it is and how severe the drops are. Getting 60 FPS 95% of the time with occasional drops to 45 FPS or above is technically "inconsistent" but I'll take that over a constant 30 FPS any day. A constant 30 FPS is a constantly crappy framerate.

Also, v-sync is terrible. Causes input lag and microstuttering. How any hardcore PC gamer doesn't already have a 120+ Hz monitor is baffling to me. 120 Hz + no v-sync = smooth, tear-free, lag-free goodness.

Sure, many gaming pcs are much more powerful than the XB1. But due to the huge number of zombies instanced onscreen (500?), I guessing VRAM will affect your frame rate far more than horsepower for this game. Remember, the XBone can theoretically assign 8GB, minus the core game and OS overhead, as VRAM. I'd wager an average PC with a 4GB video card beats a $3K monster with triple-SLI 2GB cards.

The zombies are more a matter of CPU (for AI) and GPU (for rendering) power than VRAM usage. VRAM is primarily used for render resolution, texture resolution and antialiasing.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2014, 05:13.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained
13. Re: Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained Jun 22, 2014, 04:00 Jerykk

swaaye wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 15:47:
Graphics whoring is almost all I see in comments about this game. Do any of you truly enjoy playing it? I found it to be too formulaic and stale and was bored after maybe 6 hours of the cheesy story. I am most disappointed with how hollow the world feels considering they talked a lot about how it was going to be a new level of open world sim.

I'm enjoying it. It's a lot more interesting if you try to play stealthy. The side-missions are much more open-ended than the story missions and most can be completed with hacking alone.

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
9. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 23:10 Jerykk

So what they're basically saying is that the game is poorly optimized and they can't guarantee a stable framerate beyond 30 FPS.  

News Comments > Watch Dog Patch Plans
11. Re: Watch Dog Patch Plans Jun 19, 2014, 02:28 Jerykk

mouse accel is on by default, and with a 5-6 frame latency. it's unplayable with KB+M. i doubt anyone from ubi ever touched it with a mouse n keys. that's what 8 months of additional dev time gets you.

You can edit a cfg file to fix that.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 16, 2014, 12:24 Jerykk

All the crap is a bit unsightly right now, but that's true of the steam store in general, even if you ignore EA. There are just too many people making games, and it's getting hard to tell what is worth the time any more. I love my indie games, and there are a lot of excellent titles, but I do worry that we are headed to a major crash, and the EA stuff isn't doing anything to help that.

I don't really feel that way. It only takes a quick glance at the store page for each game to tell whether or not it is worthwhile. Hell, a quick glance at the name and icon is usually enough.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again
25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again Jun 16, 2014, 04:25 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:31:
But a publisher also wouldn't approach a dev with a clear goal for a game, ask for a deadline, then a month later add 10 stretch goals to it and demand it still be delivered on the same release date. (well... a reasonable one wouldn't, anyway.)

Which is basically what some people are saying...

I don't buy that as an excuse.

Stretch goals aren't part of the initial pitch, so the people that contributed before stretch goals were posted, are screwed, if there is a huge addition to development time.

Stretch goals shouldn't be so lofty in the first place, that they add large amounts of development time. They're chasing "dollars / more backers" for minor features, yet encumber themselves exponentially. (Which probably equates to costing more than they collected for the feature).

It's stupidity.... from a business perspective.

Who cares about extended dev cycles? As long as it results in a better game, what's the problem?

I'll never understand why some backers are so obsessed with the initial release estimates. Firstly, they are estimates. If you're planning your schedule around estimates, you've already failed. Secondly, we're talking about videogames here. How often does a videogame not get delayed? It's par for the course these days.

When backing a Kickstarter, there are only two things you should be concerned about:

1) Will the game be released?
2) Will the game be good?

As long as the answer to both questions is "yes," you have no reason to complain.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 16, 2014, 04:13 Jerykk

I think Early Access is great. They clearly warn you that the game is unfinished so if you're still willing to pay, you're essentially paying to test their game. This works out great for people willing to wait for the finished product, as the game will be way more polished as a result.

Early Access not only gives developers valuable testing and feedback early in the dev cycle but it gives them a revenue stream too, increasing their rate of progress and the likelihood of them actually finishing the game.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
17. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jun 14, 2014, 03:41 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2014, 02:03:
Task wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:54:
This is on the frostbyte engine isn't it, which means no modding like DA:O , so I'm stuck with some of those Derp looking faces for the characters

Yeah, that's probably the ugliest elf I've ever seen.

Overall, this trailer was pretty lame.

Admittedly, the original DA:O marketing campaign left me cold. This one is no better, but at least they're not spewing blood every 10 seconds all over the characters.

Eh, I'd say this one is a bit better. They aren't using Marilyn Manson music or focusing on sex and violence, after all.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
13. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 23:36 Jerykk

THQ is obviously not a Dell or a Coca Cola in terms of branding, and I would never try to say they are, but I think in the video game industry THQ was recognized enough so that someone like Nordic is justified for looking at the label as a step up the recognition ladder. Circling back to your point about making good games, they will obviously have to do that for the THQ name to help them long term.

I don't feel like the THQ brand is renowned enough to sway casual consumers. Casual consumers probably don't even know who made incredibly popular games like GTA, CoD or Madden. THQ went out of business because most people didn't care about them or their games so I just don't see any value in their brand.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 13, 2014, 12:28 Jerykk

If you genuinely like sneaking around and stealing stuff and don't think that manual jumping is the defining factor of stealth games, Thief is pretty solid. The AI has some issues but it works well enough in general (on the highest difficulty). Combat sucks but that's a given since it's a Thief game. Opening windows is annoying at first but becomes less of an issue as the game progresses. Story isn't great but it's passable by videogame standards. Levels aren't as big or open-ended as in the previous games, but they're still pretty large and open-ended. Some sections are very linear and scripted but they're the minority and comprise maybe 5% of the game.

Really, the bile thrown at the game is completely overblown. I consider myself a fan of the genre and I'd definitely pick up Thief for $15.

News Comments > THQ TM to Return
3. Re: THQ TM to Return Jun 13, 2014, 12:18 Jerykk

Waste of time. If you want people to recognize your name, release good games. Taking the name of an established publisher won't automatically garner goodwill (see Infogrames).  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears
12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Nears Jun 12, 2014, 05:04 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:43:
Gee, you only had to drop $140 to have access to the beta. Rolleyes

And of course, like InXile they're going to milk it selling beta slots. I really regret giving either of them a dime. At least Larian appreciates their backers.

There's a good reason to create a high barrier of entry for beta testing. It ensures that only the most dedicated players become involved and that's pretty important. You need to have players who are not only willing to try and break the game but also able to submit detailed bug reports and constructive feedback. A small group of good testers is much more useful than a large group of bad testers. Beta testing is not a demo. It is an essential phase of development that can make the difference between a good game and a bad one.

14086 Comments. 705 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo