Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14356 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
25. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 03:54 Jerykk

Not really something you want to be putting as a disclaimer at the bottom of your pitch. But that's just me. This shows lack of confidence on their part and gives them an out for when they don't deliver on their pitch or add micro-transactions or go free-2-play later.

I'm pretty sure all Kickstarter projects have that warning in some form or another. And really, if you're backing a Kickstarter, you should already know the risks.

That said, $25 minimum for the game seems pretty crazy. That's how much the minimum was for Original Sin and that was a 100+ hour RPG. Hell, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Torment could all be had for $20 or less and those were in more popular genres from established studios. The Descent brand still has some value but I don't think it or the 6DoF subgenre have broad enough appeal for most people to pledge that much. Offering the game for $10 or $15 pledges would have been much more realistic and much more likely to sway less nostalgic backers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video
22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2015, 00:25 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 20:17:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 19:50:
Source? Pretty sure this is PC with an Xbox controller plugged in. As for UI, don't expect it to be any different when you're using M/KB. Just replace the Xbox prompts with M/KB prompts. Witcher 2 was like that too.
I have a friend who went to pax this year and I'm going off only what he said. They may have misheard, or misunderstood but as far as I know from what they told me it's the console version they demo'd.

CDPR dev confirmed that it's PC on high (but not highest) settings:
Dev tweet

Your friend probably saw the Xbox prompts and assumed it was the Xbox version, much like many of the posters in this thread.

Anyway, I think the graphics are fine. Are they as impressive as in the debut trailer? No, but I imagine that footage was recorded on a beast of a PC. Graphics are always downgraded as the realities of optimization start to appear towards the end of development. Having a fantastic-looking game doesn't mean much if it runs like ass on most systems. I'm sure the game will still look very nice at the highest detail settings.

Of course, we'll probably end up with another Watch_Dogs situation where people rage because the final graphics aren't quite as impressive as in the initial reveal, even though they're still good.

18. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 7, 2015, 19:54 Jerykk

Wetworks24 wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 17:14:
I was super excited about W3 but it's been delayed so long that my enthusiasm has died down. I'll still play it and enjoy it but it's no longer my most anticipated game. That would be Fallout 4.

Part of the reason may be that I really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition and am not really looking for another long, open world rpg atm.

You do realize that FO4 will be another long, open-world RPG, right?

17. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Video Mar 7, 2015, 19:50 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 14:40:
Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2015, 13:42:
Is footage from a 360? The graphics look terrible. The textures look like it's from a 360. Is there any footage of this on a PC with a proper PC UI? Otherwise I find this less than inspiring.
It's xbox one(shocking at how shitty it is isn't it?), and there hasn't been a PC vid in 8 months or so.

Source? Pretty sure this is PC with an Xbox controller plugged in. As for UI, don't expect it to be any different when you're using M/KB. Just replace the Xbox prompts with M/KB prompts. Witcher 2 was like that too.

FYI, they have shown PC gameplay:
PC Gameplay
More PC Gameplay

News Comments > New Overwatch Character Intros
2. Re: New Overwatch Character Intros Mar 6, 2015, 23:26 Jerykk

Pretty sure Deadeye requires you to stand still and charge before you can fire. That's how they're trying to balance the auto-aim and instakill.  

News Comments > Steam Link Announced
10. Re: Steam Link Announced Mar 3, 2015, 23:22 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 22:07:
What the fuck is up with all of that streaming hype anyway? Is there any other practical scenario for it other than watching let's plays while fucking your wife?

It means you only need one gaming PC for your household because all the other machines can just stream from it. Not so useful if everybody wants to play games at the same time but works well if everyone has their own schedules.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
26. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 23:15 Jerykk

Kajetan wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 18:24:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 17:50:
How is that any different than at any point in Crytek's history? UE has always been one of the top licensed engines simply because of the support provided.
It once was considered a valid competitor to Epic. Several big projects used the CryEngine, last of them Evolve, but Cryteks licensing business never took off.

I'm not sure if CryEngine was ever really considered a true competitor. I've been using it for a while and it feels like it was designed for making tech demos or Crysis mods. It's missing a lot of basic functionality and a lot of Crysis-specific code is hardcoded into the engine. On top of that, documentation is awful and since nobody uses the engine, you can't rely on community forums to help out.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
12. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 15:27 Jerykk

verybad1 wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 13:29:
Good luck to them with Unreal 4 being essentially free except with a 5% charge after $3000.00 is made.

I really think UE4 is doing that to kill competitors like Unity 5 and Cryengine 3.

Teams that are familiar with Unity 4 will probably stick to Unity 5 in the future, but I can't see new teams going to it or CE3 over UE4.

The key appeal of Unity is the ease of use. You can make a game with minimal programming knowledge and there's tons of useful documentation online. That's not really true of UE4.

I wonder if Unity 5 finally has the power to make games that don't look two generations old. From what I understand, Unity's a joy to work with but everything that comes out on it looks so damn dated.

Unity 5 tech demo

Unity is perfectly capable of impressive graphics. However, creating said graphics requires a lot of resources and most small developers don't have that. If a AAA project with a $100+ million budget used Unity, it would probably look as good as the $100+ million budget games that use Unreal.

News Comments > Bombshell Details & Trailer
17. Re: Bombshell Details & Trailer Mar 3, 2015, 04:40 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 04:35:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 04:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 01:00:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 23:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:33:
i fully expect this to get torn apart, game looks visually terrible......

i think it looks kewl! definitely not a game for everyone tho.

i was just thinking how blasted d3 got for visuals......being it a d3 clone and all....

What? How is this a Diablo clone? Bombshell is a twin-stick shooter. Diablo is an ARPG. The only similarity is the camera angle and the fact that you're killing stuff.

Official word on the game is that it's an ARPG with skills and upgrades. http://www.bombshell.com/

From the site's description:

Brilliantly brutal isometric shooting layered with classic role-playing mechanics, including experience points, upgrades, side quests, and non-linear levels. All with a twist of first-person shooter mechanics.

Sounds more like a twin-stick shooter with RPG elements. Gameplay footage reinforces that.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: GOG introduced DRM to its shop Mar 3, 2015, 04:38 Jerykk

mag wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 12:58:
El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 05:13:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:07:
El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 00:23:
GOG has now fallen to censorship. With the introduction of the German website, they also introduced a geolock. Some games are no longer available for German GOG customers. Way to go, GOG! This cherry has officially been popped. So, thanks GOG, it's been nice. Don't call me, I will call you.

Wow, really? That's really disappointing...

Yes, it's unfortunately true. So, GOG games are still DRM free, but the shop is no longer. Geo-lock is the beginning of the end. Further down the road, expect them to turn into just another online games platform (JAOGP instead of GOG). G2A must be quite happy about that!

GOG wrote:
Two games from our catalog had to be made unavailable in Germany: Commandos Ammo Pack and Commandos 2+3. Offering or promoting these games is considered a serious criminal offence according to German law, and we have to abide by this law to avoid the risk of serious legal action taken against GOG.com and GOG.com employees.

What do you guys want them to do? They're not a band of law-flouting activists; they're a company.

Hey! Don't bring logic or reason into this! GOG are a bunch of traitorous, backstabbing whores!

News Comments > Bombshell Details & Trailer
15. Re: Bombshell Details & Trailer Mar 3, 2015, 04:30 Jerykk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 01:00:
Fantaz wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 23:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:33:
i fully expect this to get torn apart, game looks visually terrible......

i think it looks kewl! definitely not a game for everyone tho.

i was just thinking how blasted d3 got for visuals......being it a d3 clone and all....

What? How is this a Diablo clone? Bombshell is a twin-stick shooter. Diablo is an ARPG. The only similarity is the camera angle and the fact that you're killing stuff.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 3, 2015, 02:45 Jerykk

GOG could probably learn a thing from Valve about how to handle sales. This artificial scarcity thing doesn't really work because games either "sell out" too quickly (for good games) or too slowly (for bad games). As a consumer, I really don't want to check the GOG page every 30 seconds. It's much better to offer new time-limited deals at set intervals.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook
10. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook Mar 3, 2015, 02:41 Jerykk

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:58:
Did they ever fix the PC tactical UI? At launch, it looked like they were trying to emulate controller sticks on the keyboard instead of, you know, clicking where you wanted someone to go.

You still click where you want party members to go in tactical mode. The reticule in the middle of the screen is a leftover from the console UI and doesn't actually do anything.

News Comments > Op Ed
109. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 23:09 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 10:13:
I still don't get why advocating for improvement makes you an "SJW."

Julio, does anyone that wants better female representation get this label, or only ones with nerve to voice the opinion?

Advocating for improvement doesn't make you a SJW. Advocating for improvement by using dishonest or misleading methods makes you a SJW. For example, taking a gender-neutral feature, recording a video of that feature being used against female characters and then claiming that the feature was designed for the exploitation of women... that's what a SJW would do and it's what Sarkeesian does in many of her videos.

There are certainly plenty of valid examples of sexism in gaming (and popular culture in general). Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, Killer is Dead, Japanese games in general... there's really no need to resort to misrepresentation. However, the more "examples" Sarkeesian can present, the more widespread she can make the issue appear. She does occasionally point out a few games that have balanced representations of women but these examples are almost always obscure indie games. She ignores high-profile games like The Last of Us, Bioshock, Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider, etc, or nitpicks them to find examples of poor representation while ignoring the obvious examples of good representation.

If her videos offered a much more balanced analysis of gender representation in gaming instead of focusing exclusively on the bad (often relying on misleading examples in the process), she wouldn't be getting such hostile reactions. Then again, those reactions have gained her a lot of press and media attention that she otherwise wouldn't have had. The other reason why people hate her is because she refuses to actually debate the topic. There are countless people with whom she could have an intelligent and civil debate yet she refuses. She no doubt realizes that her examples would be picked apart easily, therefore undermining her arguments as a whole.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2015, 23:18.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 20:56 Jerykk

Acleacius wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 20:40:
Anyone know if there any PvE only servers in H1Z1, i.e. no pvp kills? Just wondering dayz made the same mistake.

PvP is kind of the whole point of games like DayZ and H1Z1. It's the human interaction that creates the unique/bizarre situations that make these games memorable. Take that away and you're left with a really boring game because the zombies don't really pose a threat and are background noise more than anything else.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
29. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Mar 1, 2015, 17:43 Jerykk

TorchMaster wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 14:45:
XCom: Enemy Unknown lets you park your sniper at one end of the map and pick off targets at the other end.

Yes, XCom: Enemy Unknown did an excellent job of balancing weapons, each had strengths and weaknesses, such that using a varied squad was the best strategy.

I felt that Shadowrun: Dragonfall also didn't get weapon balance right. Enemies usually popped in too close for a sniper to be effective. Also for this reason I found that the shotgun outperformed automatic guns, pistols, and magic, but I only played through this game one time.

The key in Dragonfall was to keep enemies busy with a melee character so they couldn't get close to your sniper. Snipers were also great for initiating fights.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
7. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 17:41 Jerykk

Huh, wow, guess online co-op really is limited to RAID mode. That's pretty dumb. The lack of online co-op is way more offensive than the lack of local co-op IMO.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 1, 2015, 17:37 Jerykk

Surprised to see Dragonball selling so well. Hopefully this means we'll see more PC support from Japanese publishers.  

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Local Co-op Mod
4. Re: Resident Evil 2 Local Co-op Mod Mar 1, 2015, 06:32 Jerykk

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:40:
One knew this was coming, so is online possible?

With this mod is this coop for the main game?

Yes, online co-op works fine. FOr some reason, publishers seem to think that PC gamers have no interest in local co-op so they often cut said feature from PC ports to reduce costs. I'm sure that was the case here and, as this mod proves, re-enabling the feature is relatively trivial. Capcom will most likely restore local co-op in a future patch.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
27. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Mar 1, 2015, 06:24 Jerykk

Leper wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:53:
I don't really consider Wasteland 2 a modern turn based game. They did a lot with a limited budget, but is it really much different than Fallout:Tactics from over a decade ago? Valkyria Chronicles is something closer to what I'm envisioning. Basically that built for the PC, a more realistic post-apocalyptic setting, an open-world and less goofiness. I agree that it would require some resources and would be very tough to get right, though.

Wasteland 2 is supposed to be an homage to old-school CRPGs. It never claimed to be an evolution of the genre and nobody expected it to be. Also, more realism and less goofiness would make it less like Wasteland and more like DayZ.

For what it's worth, I thought WL2 was a good RPG. The weapon and skill balancing was pretty bad and the combat could have used more depth but the quest design was great and I loved how many choices were available to the player. The writing was solid, if not particularly memorable. There's definitely room for improvement if they ever make a third Wasteland but I was happy with WL2.

14356 Comments. 718 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo