Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14087 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
20. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:03 Jerykk

Assuming that the pledges remain above $50k for the remainder of the campaign, I do admit to wanting to see how everything plays out. There's obviously no way they can deliver what they've promised for the money they're asking. I suspect they'll eventually admit that the funding was simply for a prototype that they can pitch to publishers. Or they'll start another Kickstarter for "bonus polish and features." Or they'll "postpone" the game and start a Kickstarter for another game entirely. Or they'll just cancel the game and apologize to backers (without any refunds, of course).  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
33. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 20, 2014, 17:56 Jerykk

Xero wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 11:22:
Sounds like the game is just going to be overhyped again using the Doom name but what more can it be these days in an oversaturated FPS market? Ok, so the game is going back to it's roots with some additions? Well, sh!t, if a million other Doom clones haven't already come out.
Again, if it didn't have the Doom IP behind it to use all the Doom character/monsters, it wouldn't be any different than all the rest. We've had awesome clones such as Serious Sam and Painkiller that were successful as their own series.
What is sounds like without using the reboot term is just Doom 1 using this new graphic engine. Whoopdidu. Nothing more than a few hours and your done and bored of it.

Are you really complaining about a modern run and gun shooter being released? How many of those do we actually get these days? I'd much rather get that instead of another military shooter.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 16:58 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:47:
DayZ is the current meme, like Minecraft was. It's the in thing to buy atm.

I don't think you understand what a meme is. Minecraft is still super popular, btw. Nothing past tense about it. They've sold about 54 million copies thus far and are still going strong. If Minecraft were available on Steam, it would probably be the top seller.

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
17. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:55 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:38:
What a shit show. This sort of shit is precisely why I'm done with KS. KS doesn't care and won't take any responsibility because they want their cut. They're like pimps and no one should support pimps.

You could just avoid shady Kickstarters and support the ones worth supporting. For every Areal, there's ten Kickstarters that turn out well.

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer
3. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer Jul 20, 2014, 05:45 Jerykk

I think it looks pretty promising. That said, I have my doubts about the overall execution. Cyanide has a history of cool ideas with poor implementation.  

News Comments > Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details
15. Re: Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details Jul 16, 2014, 03:15 Jerykk

Yakubs wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 13:58:
Had potential but the execution was mediocre. Another game where the player is a god and the enemies are a bunch of dopes. It reached the climax during... the climax, actually, where the head badguy _knows you're coming_ and decides to deal with it by relaxing in his base with several entrances wide open, and about 10 dope guards meandering the dark hallways.

With all the game companies bending over backwards trying to copy Hollywood, you'd think they'd learn one of the fundamentals first: a story is only as good as the villain.

So... what, did you want a boss fight or something equally contrived and generic? A boss fight that would have been terrible because the game's mechanics aren't really designed for 1v1 combat? No, I thought the game's finale was great (at least with low Chaos). The villain knows he can't beat you and is therefore resigned to his fate. It was a great change of pace given the absurd logic of most videogame villains. If some dude has destroyed hundreds of your minions and overcome every obstacle placed in his way, why would you think you could possibly win?

Finally, a story doesn't even need a villain to be good. Apparently you need to touch up on the fundamentals of storytelling yourself.

14. Re: Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details Jul 16, 2014, 03:06 Jerykk

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 12:27:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 12:22:
The last supposed info leak showed that Dishonored 2 will use the idtech5 engine. Please let that be untrue.
Why? Better than the dinosaur known as Unreal Engine 3.

No, not at all. Dishonored (which used UE3) looked better than RAGE and Wolfenstein. Same with Bioshock Infinite, Mirror's Edge, Gears of War and basically any other UE3 game. UE3 was a great and versatile engine, which is why so many games have used it. Only Bethesda uses idTech5 because they own it and they know no external devs would touch it with a ten foot pole.

idTech5 uses Megatextures, which look terrible up close and take up a ridiculous amount of space. I mean, really... 50 gigs for Wolfenstein? If it had used UE3, it would have looked at least as good (probably better due to textures not being atrocious up close) and been a fraction of the size.

News Comments > Gigantic Announced
7. Re: Gigantic Announced Jul 16, 2014, 03:01 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 20:37:
So, uh, is it just me, or does this look almost exactly like Battleborn?

Have they shown any gameplay footage of Battleborn yet? From what I've read, it's more of a shooter while this is more of a traditional MOBA, albeit with shooter controls.

8. Re: Rumor: Year-old Dishonored 2 Details Jul 15, 2014, 12:22 Jerykk

The last supposed info leak showed that Dishonored 2 will use the idtech5 engine. Please let that be untrue.  

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Jul 14, 2014, 05:09 Jerykk

I think it's stupid to advertise or flaunt sexual orientation in any medium but I'm not going to let that prevent me from playing good games.  

News Comments > Humble 2K Bundle
23. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 13, 2014, 22:53 Jerykk

Bioshock 2 isn't exactly an underdog, but it's my personal favorite (edging out Infinite) since it has the best shooter mechanics in the series and a unique and driving plot.

Eh? I thought Infinite had better combat than Bioshock 1 and 2. How was Bioshock 2's combat any better than the first game's?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 13, 2014, 17:24 Jerykk

Redmask wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 10:59:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 16:00:
You can see a "Fade Portal" conveniently opens up several times and just ports in waves of enemies. That sort of thing is what we're talking about, DA2 all over again and I'm not swallowing any talk about its context in the DA universe.

Unlike DA2, I don't think that's representative of combat scenarios as a whole. The Fade Portals are a rare occurrence (or in this case, part of a boss fight). They've shown footage of other fights where there were no waves of enemies.

They occur before the boss fight as well as during it. I'll believe that they've changed when I see it, the lazy ass encounter design in DA2 left a horrible aftertaste and this looks like more of the same.

This footage shows several combat encounters without waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
14. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 13, 2014, 17:18 Jerykk

There is no reason to assume people haven't tried them, especially when so many are F2P. Maybe people just don't like them and you will have to learn to accept it. A genre this popular is bound to have detractors, that's the nature of subjective taste.

There's definitely reason to assume many critics haven't even played a single MOBA. It's incredibly common for people to criticize something based on nothing more than assumptions. Some people hate anything that's popular or mainstream. Other people think F2P is inherently evil and therefore, any game that uses it is automatically scummy. MOBAs are both F2P and popular, which is reason enough for some people to hate them.

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
10. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 13, 2014, 01:50 Jerykk

Out of curiosity, how many MOBA-haters here have actually played a MOBA..? I feel like the sudden popularity of MOBAs, along with their F2P nature, automatically turns some people off despite them not really knowing anything about the genre or having any experience with it.  

46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 23:37 Jerykk

Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 00:24:
Redmask wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 22:23:
Wetworks24 wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 16:59:
DA2 was just as tactical as DA Origins. Playing DA2 on nightmare was tough and required a lot of planning and cross class combos to beat during combat.

No, DA:O was more tactical and less bullshit even with potion cooldowns that weren't shared. Memorizing the number and timing of enemy spawns so that you can use abilities is not tactical. DA2 was tough on Nightmare but it was tough for bullshit arbitrary reasons like one shots from instantly spawned in enemies, not because the gameplay was inherently challenging.

False, being able to change your plans in the middle of the battle takes more tactics, not less. The 2nd wave forced you to move your healers and tanks and prevented you from using all your big cooldowns at the beginning of the fight. You also had to set up cross class combos a lot more in DA2 than in DAO.

Wave-based spawns means that you couldn't plan for anything. How can you form a strategy when you have no idea what you'll be fighting against? You didn't know how many waves would spawn or the composition of those waves. As such, you ended up saving all of your strong spells and abilities just in case you needed them later, making combat feel even more tedious and grindy.

I did like the cross-class combos in DA2 and the game definitely did make each class more important to the group (you couldn't do an all-mage party like in DAO). However, the wave-based spawns were just lazy design. Bioware balanced the game for Normal difficulty, where enemies were basically cannon fodder, so to compensate they added waves to draw the fights out and superficially increase the challenge. That worked fine on Normal difficulty but not so much on Nightmare, where enemies actually posed a threat.

38. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 16:08 Jerykk

Bullshit. DA:I is going Borderlands. What works for the over-the-top cell shaded world of BL does not work for a serious RPG with serious themes like DA:I. Keep your fucking Michael Bay out of my Game of Thrones. The greatest part of BS:Infinite for example is the exploration parts with the UI disabled. Pure exploration, discovery, and storytelling.

I feel like you didn't even play the first DA game. It had floating damage numbers and text, just like 99% of RPGs. Again, in a game that features character progression (through gear and leveling), being able to see exactly how much damage you are doing and what status effects are being applied is very useful. That's why RPGs typically have floating numbers and text. And like I said before, there's a very good chance that you'll be able to disable that stuff.

WTF is wrong with you? If I want great gameplay ONLY I'll go play Super Mario Brothers. And who said anything about realism? It's immersion that's important. Tooltips and damage numbers aside, these characters jump around like they're on a constant meth drip. It's ridiculous. The third person perspective reminds me that I'm PLAYING the game, not in it. And there's no danger in this world. Enemies fall like so many cardboard cutouts. It's a shame too, because the engine is gorgeous, and the story looks pretty engrossing.

DA:O was third-person. DA2 was third-person. Every game that Bioware has ever made was third-person. Why you'd be shocked that DA:I is third-person makes no sense.

As for challenge, I'm pretty sure you can just ramp up the difficulty like in the previous games. DA:O and DA2 were insanely hard on Nightmare difficulty. I see no reason why DA:I would be any different.

36. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 16:00 Jerykk

You can see a "Fade Portal" conveniently opens up several times and just ports in waves of enemies. That sort of thing is what we're talking about, DA2 all over again and I'm not swallowing any talk about its context in the DA universe.

Unlike DA2, I don't think that's representative of combat scenarios as a whole. The Fade Portals are a rare occurrence (or in this case, part of a boss fight). They've shown footage of other fights where there were no waves of enemies.

13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 00:50 Jerykk

Unless there is some option they are not showing, where you can pull WAY back/up, and have more of a traditional top down/isometric view of the action?

You can pull the camera way up and basically have a top-down view if you want. They've shown it in previous videos.

9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 11, 2014, 23:13 Jerykk

I agree, it looks amazing. I just hate the gaminess of it, all the stuff I mentioned yesterday, all those console compromises, all those simplifications. They detract from reality, and it breaks the immersion. I can't believe I'm in this world when everything has tool tips, when damage displays in numbers on people, and when I'm in 3rd person view.

It's a videogame. "Gaminess" isn't really a criticism when you're talking about videogames. That's like saying a movie is too "movie-ish." Also, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to disable the floating numbers and maybe even the tool tips. As for the camera, first-person would be terrible for this kind of game. It's all about managing your party and planning your next move. Being able to see as much of the battlefield as possible is ideal, hence the third-person camera.

I'm all for immersion but gameplay always takes priority. If realism hurts the gameplay, it should always take a backseat.

News Comments > Humble 2K Bundle
9. Re: Humble 2K Bundle Jul 8, 2014, 22:56 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 21:33:
Squirmer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 20:52:
Best part is you can give all the money to charity and zero to 2K.

So the best part of getting three or six games, for next to nothing, is that you can actually give the developers that made them nothing?

To be fair, none of the developers will see any money from any of these games even if you buy them each at full price. It's extremely rare for developers to see any royalties when dealing with publishers, especially from bundle sales.

14087 Comments. 705 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo