Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14086 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 23:34 Jerykk

Curious to see how useful the tactical mode will be. No doubt the normal difficulty setting will be balanced for the action-oriented approach but will the higher difficulties be more tactical and offer compelling tactical combat scenarios? DA2 failed in the latter regard.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2014, 04:52 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 23:43:
Fantastic combat system? Non-mage classes stop gaining new skills after 13-15, and what few skills they have are either useless or redundant.

Mages always have more abilities than other classes. That's been the case in every RPG ever. As for the viability of non-mages, they're plenty useful. Fighters are great for tanking and keeping enemies distracted while your mages deal damage from afar. Rogues are great for neutralizing high-priority targets right off the bat and have plenty of versatility (charm ftw). Their ability to teleport is super handy outside of combat as well, allowing to reach areas you otherwise wouldn't be able to reach.

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
20. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 28, 2014, 04:46 Jerykk

smackdaddy wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 00:02:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 22:27:
smackdaddy wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 20:59:
Didn't anyone else notice the for PC, mac and tablets and phones. How on earth is anything made to run on a tablet or phone going to be deep?

A tablet or phone is just a device. Touchscreen interfaces are pretty limited, sure, but they work fine for specific genres. Fallout 1 and 2, for example, would work fine on a tablet since the mouse-based UI and gameplay translates well to touch-based.

how about them having small screens, limited memory and processors? I know they've gotten stronger but its nowhere near a desktop processor.

I feel like you're confusing "depth" with "pretty graphics." A deep game doesn't need to look good. Gameplay has nothing to do with presentation. The original X-COM looks like crap but has tons of depth. I'm pretty sure any modern phone or tablet could run X-COM just fine.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 22:58 Jerykk

Divinity isn't that tough (at least on Normal difficulty) once you get past the early game. As with all party-based RPGs, it's all about crowd control and Divinity has plenty of that. Every class has a way to stun, knock down, freeze, blind, slow, petrify, charm, teleport or otherwise immobilize enemies. One could argue that the game would be more tactical if there were fewer ways to CC enemies.

That said, I'm 80+ hours in and still loving the game, overpowered CC be damned. Definitely liking it more than either of the BG games.

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
15. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 22:27 Jerykk

smackdaddy wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 20:59:
Didn't anyone else notice the for PC, mac and tablets and phones. How on earth is anything made to run on a tablet or phone going to be deep?

A tablet or phone is just a device. Touchscreen interfaces are pretty limited, sure, but they work fine for specific genres. Fallout 1 and 2, for example, would work fine on a tablet since the mouse-based UI and gameplay translates well to touch-based.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 15:36 Jerykk

Every time Skyrim goes on sale, it sells. This really shouldn't be surprising anymore.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 27, 2014, 02:43 Jerykk

Dragonfall was great. I would rather see a new campaign than a upgraded campaign, though.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jul 26, 2014, 17:46 Jerykk

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 16:36:
Fion wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 16:18:

What I find most interesting about it is the AI and how individual Orcs learn from your actions and advance in the ranks.

You should take that PR blabber with a shovel of salt, mate, if you don't want to be hugely disappointed.

Personally I think that feature is all script. Those "nemesis" enemies have special looks for a reason. They are specifically made to be nemesisses.. nemesae... nemesi? Whatever. Admittedly, I haven't looked into the feature too much, but it won't be as dynamic as the PR buddies make it sound and look.

The Nemesis enemies are procedurally generated in terms of appearance and stats. The appearance consists of different parts (face, mouth, ears, scars, eyes, armor, skin color, body type, etc) randomly assembled together. Stats consist of strengths and weaknesses that affect combat. Nothing the developers have described seems unfeasible or even unlikely. However, as with all things procedurally generated, the enemies will inevitably start to look and feel similar despite their technical differences. There can only be so much meaningful variation when throwing together a bunch of random parts.

Huge LotR fan here as well. I won't mind assassin's creed style gameplay. A few of those games have been downright awesome, though each new iteration is increasingly dumbed down. For example the climbing used to require some planning, good observation of the area, etc. Now it's push a button and watch the parkour, same with combat.

The combat and traversal in AC never required any skill. I've played all of them and it's always been "hold-two-buttons to automatically run, climb, jump, hop, swing, etc" and "hold block and press counter to automatically kill enemies." In terms of combat, the series has actually improved slightly with each iteration. In the first game, you could literally hold block and press counter to kill every single enemy in the game. In the sequels, they added enemy types that required a slightly different tactics.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Unrest
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Unrest Jul 26, 2014, 05:40 Jerykk

Keep it classy.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 26, 2014, 05:39 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 20:14:
LittleMe wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 19:06:
Nah F2P can be done right and the market is slowly choosing the better models that we like. Romero is right about that. It's evolving. There are publishers and developers want to give us what we want.

There are VERY few "done right" f2p games.... vs a billion shitty mobile games (and some pc games too ,p) that all cost either miniscule or nothing, and yet are filled with timers, grind, and constant nag-screens (or advertisement)

I mean I get where you come from, HS and DOTA2 and what not are f2p games done right, but these are few and far between no?

The mobile market isn't really relevant to PC gaming. The crap that works there doesn't work on PC. Early F2P PC had similar crap but have improved markedly since then. Now the majority of F2P PC games only sell you cosmetics and other things that don't impact gameplay.

That said, F2P does have downsides. For one, it doesn't work with all genres. Good luck getting a F2P single-player PC game or anything on the scale or complexity of Fallout or Skyrim or Dragon Age or Mass Effect or Deus Ex. If a game isn't conducive to microtransactions or requires a huge initial budget, it won't work as F2P. Multiplayer games are a lot more feasible but even then, it's easy to mishandle F2P. Tribes: Ascend made some significant changes to the series in order to accommodate microtransactions and there changes were for the worse. Had they taken the DotA2 model (where you only pay for cosmetic items), the game would have been a lot better.

News Comments > Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots
7. Re: Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots Jul 25, 2014, 02:52 Jerykk

John wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 08:59:
If Risen 2 was better than 1, why does 2 have lower ratings on Metacritic?

Because reviews are opinions..? According to Metacritic, Dragon Age 2 is better than all of the Gothic and Risen games. 'nuff said.

News Comments > 2K's BioShock Tease?
16. Re: 2K's BioShock Tease? Jul 25, 2014, 02:48 Jerykk

Icewind wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 13:04:
Task wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 09:27:
Come on just do system shock 3 already. Enough of the linear roller coaster bioshocks.

EA owns the rights. If and when they do a SS3, be prepared for the kind of loving treatment they apply to all of their acquired properties.

I don't think EA owns the rights anymore. Night Dive Studios does, or at least they're the ones who released SS2 on Steam and GOG.

News Comments > Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots
4. Re: Risen 3 Goes Back to Piranha Bytes' Roots Jul 23, 2014, 23:06 Jerykk

I'm disappointed that they're ditching the pirate theme for more generic fantasy. I loved the pirate stuff in Risen 2. I also thought the companions were more interesting than any of the companions in PB's previous games. The only thing I didn't like about Risen 2 was the combat and even that was eventually improved in a patch. R2 made a lot of improvements in other ways. They replaced the antiquated full-body equipment system in favor of a piece-based system, allowing a greater variety of builds and more ways to specialize. The skill checks were a great addition as well, making your skills more useful outside of combat. The introduction of an actual companion system (as opposed to the occasional companions you'd only get for specific quests in the previous games) was a great addition as well.

Risen 3 could very well be the best game PB has ever made but it just looks and feels like more of the same. From what I've seen and read, it doesn't look like it's really changing the formula or adding anything new to it.

News Comments > Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House
17. Re: Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House Jul 23, 2014, 16:15 Jerykk

Alamar wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:01:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 11:21:
The fact is that there are a lot of companies that make their livelihood on STALKER, so when we showed up on the scene, they saw us as a threat and did everything that they could to stop us.

Really? Like what? I can't think of a single company whose livelihood depends on STALKER. Unless you count modders as companies. Even then, their mods don't make them any money so... yeah.

Really?

I haven't paid much attention to this fiasco, but the first news item I remember about it, was a competitor (another STALKER 'spin off' developer) calling it out...

-Alamar

Vostok Games (comprised of former STALKER developers and currently developing the actually real Survarium) called out West Games for their false claims of being the primary developers of the STALKER series. The livelihood of Vostok is in no way impacted by STALKER (since they don't own the rights) or AREAL. They simply wanted to point out misinformation. Since then, they've distanced themselves from the controversy because it really doesn't have any impact on the game they're making.

West Games is trying to divert attention away from the many suspicious aspects of their project. That's why they keep focusing on these imaginary companies that apparently rely on the STALKER series for their livelihood.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 11:36 Jerykk

People will always be assholes on the internet because anonymity lets them get away with it. Unless we somehow remove anonymity from the net, that will never change. The article (and other articles like it) demands change but doesn't actually explain how to make that happen. I don't think censorship is necessarily the correct choice. Disabling comments, for example, will only provide trolls with more fuel to insult you with. There is some irony in the article complaining about men not wanting to hear about women's issues but then disabling comments so men can't respond.  

News Comments > Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House
6. Re: Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House Jul 23, 2014, 11:21 Jerykk

The fact is that there are a lot of companies that make their livelihood on STALKER, so when we showed up on the scene, they saw us as a threat and did everything that they could to stop us.

Really? Like what? I can't think of a single company whose livelihood depends on STALKER. Unless you count modders as companies. Even then, their mods don't make them any money so... yeah.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
13. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 21, 2014, 23:10 Jerykk

Well, guess PC gaming is screwed now. What will we do without the PCGA?! Might as well shut down Steam, GOG, GamersGate, Green Man Gaming, Gamefly, GetGames, Origin, Uplay, etc.  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 22:30 Jerykk

so that means Justin Beiber deserves his success? he is a supremely talented artist and thats why he's so popular?

He offers a product that many people are willing to pay for. That's why he's popular. Whether or not he has "talent" is completely subjective and largely irrelevant. People don't listen to Beiber because it's the cool thing to do. They listen to his music because they like it. So yes, he does deserve his success despite your personal opinion of his talent.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 19:42 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 18:16:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:58:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:47:
DayZ is the current meme, like Minecraft was. It's the in thing to buy atm.

I don't think you understand what a meme is. Minecraft is still super popular, btw. Nothing past tense about it. They've sold about 54 million copies thus far and are still going strong. If Minecraft were available on Steam, it would probably be the top seller.

Sigh, why am I the only person around here who understands sociological concepts like what a meme is?

A meme (/&#712;mi&#720;m/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]

Does that help clarify it for you? Allow me to simplify. Little Johnny here's of a 'kewl' product or service that's getting popular. And like most of societies mouth breathers Little Johnny lacks the self-esteem to buck trends. So rather than risk social isolation he jumps on the bandwagon. Now Little Johnny is part of the "in-crowd", and his other little pea-brain pals have to join in or they risk being ostracized as well. See how that works?

The definition in the first paragraph doesn't match the definition in the second. The second describes a fad while the first is so broad that it can be applied to just about anything popular. When people speak of "meme" in a modern context, they are specifically referring to things like doge or ceiling cat or bucket walrus. While such memes do tend to be short-lived and could therefore be called fads, "fad" and "meme" are not necessarily synonymous.

The truth is that you simply dislike DayZ and don't understand its popularity and thus you feel obligated to dismiss its success as hollow and undeserved. It's a means of self-validation and lets you feel like your opinion is correct even if it conflicts with the opinions of the majority.

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
20. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 18:03 Jerykk

Assuming that the pledges remain above $50k for the remainder of the campaign, I do admit to wanting to see how everything plays out. There's obviously no way they can deliver what they've promised for the money they're asking. I suspect they'll eventually admit that the funding was simply for a prototype that they can pitch to publishers. Or they'll start another Kickstarter for "bonus polish and features." Or they'll "postpone" the game and start a Kickstarter for another game entirely. Or they'll just cancel the game and apologize to backers (without any refunds, of course).  

14086 Comments. 705 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo