Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer
23. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 9, 2015, 04:17 Jerykk

Asmodai wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 17:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:52:
descender wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:47:
They should just rename this nVIDIA Clutterworks. Or just skip right over that and go to ClusterFucks.

Adding shit no one wanted to games that didn't need it on hardware that can't run it. Great! Unless they come up with a new combat tactic other than "press the counter button" I don't think I'll be buying this... I'm pretty burned out on this fighting system after AC/Shadow of Mordor.

Dude. STFU. I, for one, am glad that at least someone gives a fuck about PC gaming and getting the most out of the superior PC hardware.
Big kudos to Warner Bros for not accepting bribes from Microsoft that would have prevented the PC version from looking better than the lame-ass Xbone version.
This is great stuff and I wish more developers/publishers would have the balls and the spine to give Microsoft the finger and use the excess PC performance for a better looking game.

Oh the express PC performance?

How about 2 "game ready" drivers + 1 "game ready" hotfix that still leave SLI surround players with gimped performance and crashing (everything post 350 has resulted in some major league crashes on both desktop and in game).

How about gimped support for the Kepler GPU's, almost as if they were trying to force people to upgrade just to avoid shitty performance?

nVidia only care about "pc gaming" insofar as they can soak it for more revenue, not for any altruistic "best platform" reasons. Dropping 10-20 frames a second just to give more realistic hair that you can only take true advantage of on anything bigger than 1920x1080/1200 with SLI top of the line Titan X's is a fucking joke.

New tech is rarely optimized. When PhysX came out, it murdered videocards. Same with AA and AF and AO. These days, those features are pretty cheap and in many cases, essentially free. Hairworks will become more optimized over time.

As for Nvidia caring only about money... welcome to Business 101? AMD is no different. These companies don't make hardware out of the goodness of their hearts... they do it to make money. Nvidia has the majority of the market share because they have better driver support and better developer support. SLI support may sometimes be problematic but the same is more often true for AMD's Crossfire support.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
23. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 7, 2015, 18:46 Jerykk

Simon Says wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 09:36:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 19:35:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 17:14:
While I'm glad that the game is being designed specifically for PC, none of the reasons they gave really hold any water. You can do procedurally generated levels on consoles and current-gen consoles could easily handle the graphics shown in the screenshots. They could also have unique UI for each platform to take advantage of the different control schemes.

No, the reason why XCOM 2 is PC-exclusive is because the first one didn't sell very well on consoles. If they had, XCOM 2 would also be multiplatform.

If you had RtFA:

“To do that, we had to use all of our studio expertise … and our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable.”

"Focusing all of Firaxis’ efforts on the PC made logistical sense to DeAngelis, too. “Internally, with a relatively small team for the size of the game that we are, to be able to say we can focus on our platform that the studio has a pedigree for, and that X-COM: UFO Defense has a pedigree for, as PC-only... it just made a lot of sense, and that's how we wanted to dedicate our time.” XCOM 2 runs on a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.5 (Firaxis’ customizations are too extensive to easily move to Unreal 4), which in some ways has been rewritten to the point of being “unrecognizable,” and it’s much simpler to make that work on one platform than three or more at once."

*rollseyes*

You do realize that everything you quoted held true for the first game as well, right? The game that was multiplatform? Firaxis has always been PC-centric and developing a game for a single platform has always been easier than developing one for multiple platforms. However, these truths didn't stop 2K from wanting the first game to be on consoles too. Lo and behold, they released the game on consoles.

Publishers are only interested in making money. Typically, that means releasing a game on as many platforms as possible. However, if specific platforms aren't profitable, publishers won't bother supporting them. Apparently XCOM wasn't profitable on consoles, which is why XCOM 2 is a PC-exclusive.

Are you not reading the article on purpose? Its perfectly clear that this is stuff they COULDN'T DO WITH THE FIRST GAME and wanted to do for the second. Dafuq?

If you don't read the damn article, stop strawman'ing everything, PLEASE.

Going to assume you're trolling and not that you lack the ability for critical thinking.

17. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 7, 2015, 05:20 Jerykk

Orogogus wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 01:35:
I feel like pure turn-based games, which are generally PC exclusives, rarely see much mod support. The newer Civilization games have had it, and... what else? It just doesn't seem to be the expected thing.

Most games, PC exclusive or otherwise, receive little to no official modding support from the developers. It just isn't a priority.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
32. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 6, 2015, 23:26 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 22:22:
Ugh! I keep feeling like I'm lvling too quickly. I do 2 main quests and 5 sidequests and contracts turn gray. I do 5 sidequests/contracts and the main quests turn green/gray. There's a lvl 11 and lvl 15 quest in Skalige while I'm lvl 18 doing the lvl 12 main quest in Novigrad still, and it would feel really weird to go to Skalige already before at least Novigrad is done let alone the rest of Velen.

I still can't really get into the game because it keeps nagging at me: Am I doing this all in the wrong order and am I skipping content right now?

The completionist within me can't stfu!

If you're going for 100% completion, you will be overleveled for many quests. That's what happens in every RPG. If you want a greater challenge, I recommend playing on the highest difficulty. Even low-level enemies can do a hefty amount of damage on that difficulty.

On a side note, the cow exploit seems like a waste of time. It's not hard to make money in this game. You pick up tons of loot by just looting containers and bodies.

13. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 20:58 Jerykk

Bumpy wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 20:28:
I'll believe it when I see or play it.

Been a long time since true PC-centric in ALL AREAS has been done. Hud, UI, options, zoom, camera control, key mapping, shortcuts; it all matters.

What? Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity come to mind as recent games that are completely designed for PC.

News Comments > Project CARS Sells 1M
8. Re: Project CARS Sells 1M Jun 6, 2015, 19:42 Jerykk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 17:14:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 05:09:
1 mil? SteamSpy shows about 160k owners on Steam. If the game requires Steam, that means the vast majority of sales were on consoles.

SteamSpy is also known to be very inaccurate when it comes to sales numbers.

Not from what I've seen. If you look at publicly-released sales figures and compare them to SteamSpy's numbers, they closely match.

Obviously, there are variables to consider. Free weekends will skew numbers significantly for a few weeks (which SteamSpy warns) and games with low sales won't have as accurate numbers (which SteamSpy also warns). SteamSpy also doesn't include private profiles in their sampling (which they warn), though I'm pretty sure the vast majority of users have public profiles.

11. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 19:35 Jerykk

Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 17:14:
While I'm glad that the game is being designed specifically for PC, none of the reasons they gave really hold any water. You can do procedurally generated levels on consoles and current-gen consoles could easily handle the graphics shown in the screenshots. They could also have unique UI for each platform to take advantage of the different control schemes.

No, the reason why XCOM 2 is PC-exclusive is because the first one didn't sell very well on consoles. If they had, XCOM 2 would also be multiplatform.

If you had RtFA:

“To do that, we had to use all of our studio expertise … and our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable.”

"Focusing all of Firaxis’ efforts on the PC made logistical sense to DeAngelis, too. “Internally, with a relatively small team for the size of the game that we are, to be able to say we can focus on our platform that the studio has a pedigree for, and that X-COM: UFO Defense has a pedigree for, as PC-only... it just made a lot of sense, and that's how we wanted to dedicate our time.” XCOM 2 runs on a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.5 (Firaxis’ customizations are too extensive to easily move to Unreal 4), which in some ways has been rewritten to the point of being “unrecognizable,” and it’s much simpler to make that work on one platform than three or more at once."

*rollseyes*

You do realize that everything you quoted held true for the first game as well, right? The game that was multiplatform? Firaxis has always been PC-centric and developing a game for a single platform has always been easier than developing one for multiple platforms. However, these truths didn't stop 2K from wanting the first game to be on consoles too. Lo and behold, they released the game on consoles.

Publishers are only interested in making money. Typically, that means releasing a game on as many platforms as possible. However, if specific platforms aren't profitable, publishers won't bother supporting them. Apparently XCOM wasn't profitable on consoles, which is why XCOM 2 is a PC-exclusive.

7. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 17:14 Jerykk

News Comments > Project CARS Sells 1M
6. Re: Project CARS Sells 1M Jun 6, 2015, 05:09 Jerykk

1 mil? SteamSpy shows about 160k owners on Steam. If the game requires Steam, that means the vast majority of sales were on consoles.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 5, 2015, 00:53 Jerykk

$20 seems a bit much for the game. $15 regular and $10 for early birds would be getting them a lot more backers.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Trailer
16. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 23:41 Jerykk

Lord Tea wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:25:
Graphically, this looks better than Fallout 4 ever will. Kickstarter funded, from an Indie developer, made for PCs, and not made for consoles. Maybe I should spend more than 20 bucks on this....

Fallout 4 is an open-world game with tons of NPCs and interactive, physics-driven objects. Bard's Tale is a dungeon crawler. Not really a valid comparison.

On a side note, it's important to note that this demo was "in-engine" and not "in-game." When you're making a tech demo, you can devote tons of resources to a relatively small amount of content. When you're making a full game, each piece of content won't get anywhere near as much time or polish.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
86. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 23:11 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:11:
While I'm excited to play more Fallout, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the trailer. It looks basically EXACTLY like Fallout 3. This is what you guys at Bethesda came up with after six years? A slightly different map?

Eh, "exactly" is a bit inaccurate. The lighting is way better and the world doesn't have that annoying green hue.

I wasn't very impressed by the trailer either, but mainly because I don't really have any faith in Bethesda's ability to design a cohesive and believable world. None of the locales in FO3 made any sense. In addition, they had no real history and no connection to the rest of the world. It was basically like the writers came up with zany gimmicks and just plopped them into the game with little consideration as to the greater whole.

I'd like to believe that the writers and designers have improved but seeing that pirate ship with thrusters pretty much destroyed any hope of that.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
31. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 12:32 Jerykk

I'm more concerned about the voiced protagonist than anything else. Voiced protagonist = less dialogue options, though Bethesda has never been very good at writing dialogue anyway.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2015, 05:01 Jerykk

Looking forward to a new Fallout, though I really wish Obsidian was handling the franchise. Hopefully the Bethesda devs hired some decent writers and looked at everything that New Vegas did right.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
33. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 23:20 Jerykk

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:48:
You guys that have so much money...Do you buy stuff? I am at level 19 sitting on about $1.5k. I tend to buy all the recipes/gwent cards I can find.

I'm haven't been broke since the early game (where I could barely afford food), but after my shopping sprees I find myself always between one and two thousand. I also hoard all my ingredients...I can open an alchemy store that would make Walmart envious.

The haggling doesn't really work for me, either. I have axii maxed out and I rarely get more than 1-2% more, which yields an extra 10 coins...or a fucking bandit mace that I have stopped picking up. Those goddamn things are like the brooms of Skyrim. I finally found some saddle bags that increase my weight carrying by 100.

I go out of my way to loot every container I see. I get tons of random crap that way and occasionally something valuable. Human enemies also drop weapons which can be sold for a decent profit. I have 10k+ right now and I buy whatever I want.

News Comments > BioShock Series Has Sold 25M
9. Re: BioShock Series Has Sold 25M Jun 1, 2015, 01:07 Jerykk

Eh, Bioshock 2 was far too formulaic for me. Enter new area, find Little Sister, defend Little Sister while she harvests three bodies, rinse and repeat. Also, I felt like I had seen all I needed to see of Rapture after the first game. The second game didn't really show me anything new.

When it comes to being a shooter, Infinity is easily the best in the series. Gunplay was better, vigors were more interesting and could combo in more interesting ways, enemies were more diverse, skyrails were a lot of fun to ride, tears offered interesting tactical options, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure Advent is XCOM-related.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 1, 2015, 01:00 Jerykk

fiftykyu wrote on May 31, 2015, 21:41:
Oh, I agree many Witcher 3 crashes are probably due to overclocking. I suspect a lot of people had a "stable" overclock that worked for a 10 minute benchmark years ago, but was just a bit too high for whatever this specific game is doing. I'd try going back to stock speeds on your CPU + graphics card and see if the crashing stops. It's a great game, so good luck!

This. Apparently W3 is super stressful on your GPU, so even the slightest instability will be exposed. I was constantly getting GPU driver crashes until I toned down my overclock.

News Comments > SOMA in September
2. Re: SOMA in September May 30, 2015, 14:53 Jerykk

Looking good, though it's pretty annoying how the player obviously intended to get caught at the end. Could have at least made it look more natural.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
20. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 29, 2015, 02:35 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on May 29, 2015, 00:26:
I caved in and bought it for 25. That's quite a lot of money for a console-centered game, I know. *sigh* I'll wait and give it some time to be turned more and more into a pc game with the coming patches.

Not sure what you expect them to add to make it "more" of a PC game. The only thing I can think of is a hotbar, but that's not going to happen.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
20. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 02:09 Jerykk

I think this definitely looks interesting. It's like a shooter mixed with a fighting game, with each character being completely unique. There appear to be some broad roles (offense, defense, support) but each character is unique within said role.

I do agree that the amount of UI onscreen can be a bit much, though I'm sure a lot of it will be optional.

Overwatch is the most interesting Blizzard game to me since... well, forever. I never really cared about Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo and Blizzard is actually doing something interesting with the shooter genre while other devs are pumping out military shooters or Q3/UT clones.

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo