Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14204 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
28. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 22:38 Jerykk

Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 19:07:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 17:57:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 15:49:
Many people seem to vastly overestimate the number of units that Steam is moving.

Just because Steam has become a pretty big deal for most of us, doesn't mean it's a big deal for even close to the majority of gamers. It's this typical window syndrome where people believe their limited view is somehow representative of anything when in reality it isn't at all.

Yet Steam makes ~ 1.5 billion dollars in revenue each year, and is still growing double digits. I'm not sure what number that needs to turn into before people start being impressed?

I'll be impressed when numbers don't mean a thing and everyone has equal access to the same stuff without shitty DLC puke on every gamer's plate. And.... it won't probably ever happen again as long as we run our economy using obsolete currency/trade based economic system.

So to sum up:
- DLC is evil.
- Money is evil.
- Everything should be free (except for DLC which shouldn't exist).

Gotcha.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
91. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Jan 1, 2015, 03:38 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 10:21:
Quinn wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 10:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:13:
I want those rape sims to be greenlit next please
They are just pixels so should be no big deal right?

Killing humans in gamee is something that's done since Wolfenstein (and I'm sure before that). It wasn't a problem then so why should it be now?

Raping is another thing. We don't liberate outposts in Far Cry by raping everyone in it. Commander Shepard's plan wasn't to literally rape the Reapers and nor did the Reapers threat to literally rape the galaxy. But, if from now on the great majority decides its OK to create a game where you can run around raping people -- wne rape incidents don't increase because kf it -- than I am having a hard time to argue with it, too. So far America's laws for gun ownership is the problem for the shooting incidents, anyway. I don't think rape incidents will increase with a rape game, unless America changes its laws about rape. "As long as you're a responsible rapist, all is swell." -_-

Whoops getting off-topic...

Rape was just an example but sexuality in general is a no no for games, yet extreme violence like it is in this game or in GTA5 is all good, cuz it's only pixels.
Well a virtual pussy is only pixels too !!

I don't think we'll be seeing much rape in games. Ever. It's generally considered the worst thing you could ever do to anyone, despite the numerous examples of things that are objectively worse (like being murdered). People were up in arms over the implied rape in the Hotline Miami 2 demo and the audio logs in MGS:GZ. The gratuitous murder and torture? That was fine. Doesn't seem like context matters either. The implied rape in MGS:GZ made perfect sense within the context of the audio logs. Female prisoners get raped by their male captors. That's reality.

Feminists will argue that rape victims shouldn't have to be reminded of their trauma but if that's case, what about people who have suffered in other ways? What about people who have lost loved ones to murder or suicide? How about people that have been tortured, mutilated or crippled? How about people that have been shot or stabbed or beaten but survived? How about people that have been robbed? How about people that have been in car accidents? If you're going to essentially ban any depictions or suggestions of rape because they might offend, shouldn't you do the same for other potentially offensive content?

Back on topic, I'm glad Valve agreed to distribute Hatred. It probably won't be a good game but there are tons of shit games on Steam. Refusing to distribute Hatred would be hypocritical, as Steam already distributes both Postal games. Hatred is basically a remake of the original Postal, which had a much darker and more disturbing tone than its humorous sequel.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2015, 03:51.

News Comments > Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed
8. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed Dec 30, 2014, 22:57 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:22:
Would be great if they made it with a better graphics engine though.

Nothing against the 2D stuff they used in SRR and Dragonfall but I'd like to see some major improvements going forward.

Making a 3D game look good is no simple matter. 2D, on the other hand, is much easier to make look good. I'd rather they spend their budget on more designers than on more artists.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
24. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 17:21 Jerykk

Kevin Lowe wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:53:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 15:14:
The best way to address piracy is to give people value. Steam is a perfect example of this. When it first came out, people hated it (and deservedly so). However, over time, Valve improved and expanded it and now most people love it. Speaking anecdotally, I know I and others stopped pirating games because getting them on Steam was more appealing. That's how you address piracy. Create value, don't remove it.

They created a PC exclusive (for now), priced it well below the usual $60 mark, put it on Steam, knocked an extra 10% off, had a free test version....

How many more boxes do they have to check off before they no longer deserve to have their work pirated? Where's the fucking line?

Oh, I don't know... maybe not intentionally put a game-breaking bug into their own game?

I'm not saying that the Talos Principle deserves to be pirated. That would be stupid. Nothing "deserves" anything. I'm simply stating that it doesn't make sense to intentionally break your own game. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Still, you have to admit that it's pretty funny when people pirate the game, then post on the developer forum with their issue. It exposes the assholishness in people: not only do they pirate the game, then they have the gall to expect the devs to support them.

Except this has been happening since the dawn of time. It's not news to anyone. People are stupid. Surprise! Oh wait, that's not surprising at all.

All this accomplishes is increasing the number of complaints on the forums, which in turn makes the game look worse. There comes a point where you need to separate your ego from your business decisions. Intentionally breaking your own game for some brief lulz? Bad for business.

News Comments > Talos Principle Punishes Pirates
17. Re: Talos Principle Punishes Pirates Dec 29, 2014, 15:14 Jerykk

Intentionally breaking your own game seems short-sighted. You're not going to convert any pirates into buyers that way. In fact, you're likely to make them never want to buy anything you make. Pirates will encounter your game-breaking "bug," think your game is a broken piece of crap, then share this opinion with others. First impressions matter and by the time you clarify that the "bug" was intentional, it's already too late. You also run the risk of breaking the game for legitimate customers. I'm pretty sure that happened with Titan Quest. And for what? Momentarily annoying pirates? It doesn't take long at all for a proper crackfix to be released and for the "bug" to be resolved.

The best way to address piracy is to give people value. Steam is a perfect example of this. When it first came out, people hated it (and deservedly so). However, over time, Valve improved and expanded it and now most people love it. Speaking anecdotally, I know I and others stopped pirating games because getting them on Steam was more appealing. That's how you address piracy. Create value, don't remove it.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2014, 22:03 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 15:30:
panbient wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 08:16:
Would you boycott the Star Wars X-Wing / Tie Fighter games because they require a joystick? After they were re-released on cd in the late 90s they needed a stick. Not recommended - required.
Really? Because I've still got my floppy versions of the game, and played them all with a keyboard an mouse.

Do you believe that space sims are best played with M/KB instead of a flight stick? Most would argue otherwise. Just like fighting games are best played with an arcade stick, racing games are best played with a steering wheel, shooters are best played with M/KB, etc. Different genres are best played with different peripherals. M/KB is not the optimal control scheme for every game and genre. Brothers is proof of that.

Part of the reason why PC is the superior platform is because it gives you options. Brothers can be played with M/KB but it plays far, far better with a gamepad.

Back in the 90s consoles have not had any adverse effects on games and their development for the superior PC platform. Nowadays they do.

This is true. However, multiplatform development is a necessity if you want PC games with high production values. If every game was a platform exclusive, PC simply wouldn't be getting as many games as it does. Console games still have a larger audience and therefore higher profit potential. As such, most big-budget games would be console exclusives.

Thankfully, multiplatform development means I can still get games like Skyrim, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Dishonored and Far Cry 4 on PC while still enjoying more niche games like This War of Mine, Invisible Inc, Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin. There is no reality in which PC gets so many great games without the existence of multiplatform development.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2014, 22:11.

News Comments > Boxing Day Legal Briefs
20. Re: Boxing Day Legal Briefs Dec 28, 2014, 01:49 Jerykk

KilrathiAce wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 23:58:
Good thing the hype will make Sony big bucks because the movie sucks. Sony should now thank the hackers as the movie will sell like hotcakes.

Really? I thought it was hilarious. I haven't seen a movie that's made me laugh so consistently as The Interview.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 12:51:
That's what happens when you release digital alongside theaters.

Hate to break it to you but bootleg copies of movies appear on the net on release day (and often earlier) for all movies. Granted, cams and telesyncs are far less appealing than HD rips but if you really want to watch a movie without paying for it, you'll take what you can get. I'd love to see the number of cam/telesync downloads for movies like The Avengers or The Dark Knight.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 28, 2014, 01:39 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 27, 2014, 21:23:
"Requires controller" welp guess we're not buying that.

Brothers doesn't actually require a controller. That said, it does play a hell of a lot better with a controller, as some games/genres do. If you're really boycotting a game because it plays better with a controller, you should perhaps reassess your priorities when it comes to gaming. Brothers is a fantastic experience worth way more than a paltry $1.50.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2014, 03:21 Jerykk

DangerDog wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 03:20:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 01:34:
Yeah, I haven't bought anything this time either. So much unplayed stuff in my queue.

Wreckfest is on sale though. It's EA, but looks pretty good. Anyone play it?

Huh, Wreckfest isn't EA it's essentially a new version of Flatout by Bugbear.

EA = Early Access.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 20:44 Jerykk

But the pricing on DAI is way off. They are pricing it like a console game even though it doesn't have the +$10 platform penalty.

$60 is the standard AAA PC game price these days. Ubisoft, EA, Activision, 2K, Sega and Bethesda have all adopted $60 as the standard. WBIE, Square-Enix, Konami, Namco and Capcom will likely follow suit within a year.

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
17. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 02:54 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 00:28:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 00:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:31:
drschelter wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:23:
Yep the game launched buggy in January. That is ancient history...

Ancient history, sure.. my first and last impression though.

And considering that developers usually want first impressions to be good, it still baffles me how people can release games in such state. Don't expect people to forget that, IDG is to me the dev that released a broken game. In the same mental row as SOTS2 and X: Rebirth

Edit: Heck, spelling is hard without coffee ;p

They usually do it because they need to start generating revenue or else start laying people off. It sucks but it's the reality of game development. People gotta get paid. As with most Kickstarters, iDGi underestimated how much money they would need to finish the game.

Cases like this are why I appreciate Early Access. Developers can start generating revenue before officially releasing the game. They also get the benefit of public testing and feedback, ensuring the final product is more polished. Customers buying Early Access builds know what they're getting into (or at least, they should) so there's no disappointment when the game is buggy and incomplete. Consortium would have benefit from Early Access. Same for Sword of the Stars 2 and X:Rebirth.

The impact of X: Rebirth in early access after it was already 5 years in development would have been disastrous one way or the other though... lots of people see Early Access as part of their first impressions.

First impressions of an Early Access game will always be more forgiving than first impressions of a "final" game. Also, reviewers generally don't review Early Access games. If Rebirth had been in Early Access until now, it would definitely have higher than a 33 Metacritic average.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 02:49 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 01:55:
DA:I must not be selling well if they're already discounting it by 40%. Strange, because Bioware keeps saying on their forum that it's done extremely well.

Maybe it's just not selling well on PC.

No, the console versions have been on sale for $40 too over the past few weeks.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 00:15 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 09:46:
Thief is that fucking bad. I got - what I assume - is about halfway through before quitting and uninstalling. I seriously doubt I'll ever finish it. It's not the worst game ever but it's a strong contender.

I feel like you haven't played many games. Ride To Hell: Retribution comes to mind as a relatively recent contender for worst game ever.

I still don't really understand the hate for the latest Thief. Having played the previous games, I thought the new game was mostly faithful in terms of the overall experience. Yes, the levels were smaller and more linear but they were also much more dense. There were way more things to steal and interact with. Most story missions were broken up into three parts: infiltration with branching paths, open-ended exploration, then super linear and scripted escapes. I could have done without the start and ending parts but the core of the missions was just as open-ended as in the previous games. The side-missions were mostly open-ended too.

Thief may not be the best game in the series but it's definitely a worthwhile stealth game if you actually like stealth games. Emphasis on "games." It seems like a lot of critics loved the first two games (or just the second) but haven't enjoyed any stealth games since. The originals were merely exceptions to the critics' general apathy or disdain for stealth games.

14. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 24, 2014, 00:00 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:31:
drschelter wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 21:23:
Yep the game launched buggy in January. That is ancient history...

Ancient history, sure.. my first and last impression though.

And considering that developers usually want first impressions to be good, it still baffles me how people can release games in such state. Don't expect people to forget that, IDG is to me the dev that released a broken game. In the same mental row as SOTS2 and X: Rebirth

Edit: Heck, spelling is hard without coffee ;p

They usually do it because they need to start generating revenue or else start laying people off. It sucks but it's the reality of game development. People gotta get paid. As with most Kickstarters, iDGi underestimated how much money they would need to finish the game.

Cases like this are why I appreciate Early Access. Developers can start generating revenue before officially releasing the game. They also get the benefit of public testing and feedback, ensuring the final product is more polished. Customers buying Early Access builds know what they're getting into (or at least, they should) so there's no disappointment when the game is buggy and incomplete. Consortium would have benefit from Early Access. Same for Sword of the Stars 2 and X:Rebirth.

News Comments > GSC Making Cossacks 3
1. Re: GSC Making Cossacks 3 Dec 23, 2014, 18:49 Jerykk

Not sure what people are expecting. Most of the people behind the original STALKER have been dispersed. Some went to 4A, some went to Vostok, some may have even gone to West Games. If GSC does make a new STALKER game, it will be done by new developers.  

9. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 23, 2014, 18:27 Jerykk

I thought the first episode was thoroughly enjoyable. Interesting story, well-written characters, tons of lore, meaningful choices... good stuff all around. Combat was pretty bad but completely avoidable with enough foresight.

It's basically like a Telltale adventure game, only with choices that actually matter.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2014, 01:21 Jerykk

Don't you get a free upgrade to the HD version if you already own DS2?  

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
14. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 19, 2014, 23:05 Jerykk

Wetworks24 wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 21:57:
The Battlefield series seems to be doing fine as an Origin exclusive. If the game was good enough people would buy it on Origin.

Battlefield does well because it's Battlefield, a series that has been popular for over 10 years. Titanfall was a new IP with no established audience.

People like to say "Oh, but look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect and Need For Speed and Battlefield! They sell great on Origin so obviously being an Origin-exclusive has no impact on sales!" What they forget is that these are all well-established series and that only the newest entries are Origin-exclusive. The games that made the series popular? Not Origin-exclusive.

Being on Steam would have definitely increased Titanfall's player base.

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
20. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 18, 2014, 03:37 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 01:00:
GL1zdA wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 03:58:
The important fact is the first game allowed them to further develop and expand the game. I think this is what matters - to have a stable platform they could improve (not build another one from scratch) and spend most of their resources on content.

If they want to develop another campaign through Kickstarter I will definitely back the project.

I agree, it's just sad they stopped asking for money after the kickstarter. I didn't even hear about the kickstarter until long after it finished. People just assume that if you do a kickstarter people will know, they shouldn't. Advertising matters. I missed a cubic ass tonne of kickstarters I would have loved to know about.

Game developers really have a hard time getting shit out there and keeping it permanent. If anything I don't know why the guys behind kickstarter just don't do permanent crowdfunding campaign that allows people to give money after the kickstarter is done. Love or hate Star citizen but Chris roberts really showed us that you got to put effort into your fundraising if you want it to continue. No one would have expected that level of funding. I think many game devs are not really trying all that hard. It can't take a genius to setup your own crowdfunding site.

Most developers still accept PayPal donations after their Kickstarters end.

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
45. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 04:34 Jerykk

Hatred has a lot of negative press and will undoubtedly receive more once released. Should Valve agree to sell the game, they will have to deal with angry e-mails from various groups and outlets. Given the fact that the game itself will likely not sell very well, Valve must have thought it wasn't worth the hassle. Conversely, GTAV will sell very well and any controversy it evoked peaked over a year ago when the game was first released on consoles.  

14204 Comments. 711 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo