Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14377 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 3, 2015, 05:01 Jerykk

Looking forward to a new Fallout, though I really wish Obsidian was handling the franchise. Hopefully the Bethesda devs hired some decent writers and looked at everything that New Vegas did right.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch Plans
33. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch Plans Jun 1, 2015, 23:20 Jerykk

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 14:48:
You guys that have so much money...Do you buy stuff? I am at level 19 sitting on about $1.5k. I tend to buy all the recipes/gwent cards I can find.

I'm haven't been broke since the early game (where I could barely afford food), but after my shopping sprees I find myself always between one and two thousand. I also hoard all my ingredients...I can open an alchemy store that would make Walmart envious.

The haggling doesn't really work for me, either. I have axii maxed out and I rarely get more than 1-2% more, which yields an extra 10 coins...or a fucking bandit mace that I have stopped picking up. Those goddamn things are like the brooms of Skyrim. I finally found some saddle bags that increase my weight carrying by 100.

I go out of my way to loot every container I see. I get tons of random crap that way and occasionally something valuable. Human enemies also drop weapons which can be sold for a decent profit. I have 10k+ right now and I buy whatever I want.

News Comments > BioShock Series Has Sold 25M
9. Re: BioShock Series Has Sold 25M Jun 1, 2015, 01:07 Jerykk

Eh, Bioshock 2 was far too formulaic for me. Enter new area, find Little Sister, defend Little Sister while she harvests three bodies, rinse and repeat. Also, I felt like I had seen all I needed to see of Rapture after the first game. The second game didn't really show me anything new.

When it comes to being a shooter, Infinity is easily the best in the series. Gunplay was better, vigors were more interesting and could combo in more interesting ways, enemies were more diverse, skyrails were a lot of fun to ride, tears offered interesting tactical options, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure Advent is XCOM-related.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 1, 2015, 01:00 Jerykk

fiftykyu wrote on May 31, 2015, 21:41:
Oh, I agree many Witcher 3 crashes are probably due to overclocking. I suspect a lot of people had a "stable" overclock that worked for a 10 minute benchmark years ago, but was just a bit too high for whatever this specific game is doing. I'd try going back to stock speeds on your CPU + graphics card and see if the crashing stops. It's a great game, so good luck!

This. Apparently W3 is super stressful on your GPU, so even the slightest instability will be exposed. I was constantly getting GPU driver crashes until I toned down my overclock.

News Comments > SOMA in September
2. Re: SOMA in September May 30, 2015, 14:53 Jerykk

Looking good, though it's pretty annoying how the player obviously intended to get caught at the end. Could have at least made it look more natural.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
20. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC May 29, 2015, 02:35 Jerykk

El Pit wrote on May 29, 2015, 00:26:
I caved in and bought it for 25. That's quite a lot of money for a console-centered game, I know. *sigh* I'll wait and give it some time to be turned more and more into a pc game with the coming patches.

Not sure what you expect them to add to make it "more" of a PC game. The only thing I can think of is a hotbar, but that's not going to happen.

News Comments > Overwatch Video
20. Re: Overwatch Video May 28, 2015, 02:09 Jerykk

I think this definitely looks interesting. It's like a shooter mixed with a fighting game, with each character being completely unique. There appear to be some broad roles (offense, defense, support) but each character is unique within said role.

I do agree that the amount of UI onscreen can be a bit much, though I'm sure a lot of it will be optional.

Overwatch is the most interesting Blizzard game to me since... well, forever. I never really cared about Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo and Blizzard is actually doing something interesting with the shooter genre while other devs are pumping out military shooters or Q3/UT clones.

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
15. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 12:28 Jerykk

panbient wrote on May 27, 2015, 11:46:
Cutter wrote on May 27, 2015, 11:02:
3 years on and nothing to show does not bode well. Sounds like a vision problem.

Or maybe the more or less constant gripes about how The Witcher 3 didn't live up to E3 2013 previews has them rethinking their PR strategy.

Or maybe they've just been focusing their efforts on Witcher 3, a huge, 100+ hour open-world RPG? CDPR isn't Ubisoft. They don't have 10 studios constantly working on multiple games. Production of Cyberpunk was very likely put on hold while the devs finished up W3.

News Comments > Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam
3. Re: Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam May 27, 2015, 03:05 Jerykk

MajorD wrote on May 26, 2015, 18:44:
nin wrote on May 26, 2015, 17:51:
About time!

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

Don't forget though, Microsoft is still committed to PC gaming.

Hey! With Windows 10, you'll be able to stream Xbox One games onto your PC! Now every PC gamer can play Xbox exclusives, as long as they buy an Xbox first!

News Comments > Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned
18. Re: Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned May 27, 2015, 03:03 Jerykk

Deactivating peoples' accounts is the wrong way to go. It doesn't really matter if the keys were legitimate or not. Players will only see this as Bethesda screwing them over and will remember that the next time Bethesda releases a game.

I think Ubisoft faced a similar situation with Far Cry 4. Initially, they started revoking activations but after community outcry, they decided to leave them be.

Also, doesn't the non-subcription version of ESO still have plenty of microtransactions? If that's the case, they could have still monetized players with illegitimate keys.

News Comments > Enhanced Resident Evil 0 Next Year
9. Re: Enhanced Resident Evil 0 Next Year May 27, 2015, 02:27 Jerykk

Xero wrote on May 26, 2015, 16:45:
I'm kind of lost these days in the IP known as Resident Evil. Where I left off more or less at Resident Evil 2 (some of 3), has gone ape shiiieet crazy. I can't even count how many sequels have been released that look absolutely nothing like the RE I know.

If they are going to remake an RE, at least give us arguably one of the better ones, RE2? I still remember that game being my first PC game I bought, lol. Platinum Edition!

An HD remaster of RE2 would require significantly more work than Capcom wants to do. The latest RE remaster was actually a remaster of a remaster. RE0 had higher-res assets than RE2, so uprezzing them is easier.

News Comments > The Witcher III Patched
65. Re: The Witcher III Patched May 26, 2015, 23:05 Jerykk

My biggest complaint with the UI is the lack of a hotbar or at least a more efficient way to apply potions and oils. I routinely use 4-5 different potions and oils and only having hotkeys for two of them is pretty annoying. Hell, I'd even be okay with a radial menu dedicated exclusively to potions and oils.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale May 26, 2015, 05:22 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on May 25, 2015, 17:39:
Styx is a stealth game like the old days -- where THIEF 2014 fails, Styx delivers: it's unscripted, unforgiving, and there's a freedom of movement like jumping and clinging to edges not restricting you from exploiting the environment that makes this stealth game fun and nostalgic in many ways.

You act like the latest Thief didn't have those things. Yes, there were a few scripted sections but the bulk of the game consisted of large, open-ended areas with enemies patrolling around. Thief, with the custom difficulty settings, is quite challenging and can be far more punishing than Styx or any other stealth game ever made. Thief didn't have freeform jumping, true, but that's an issue of semantics more than anything else. The level designers designed the levels around the contextual traversal system, much like the designers of Styx created things for you to grab and climb up (or removed those things when they didn't want you to reach certain areas).

I'm not trying to shit on Styx or anything, but from what I've played, it isn't any better of a stealth game than Thief 2014.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 17:58 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 25, 2015, 08:49:
Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 08:34:

That figure was for all three platforms, not just PC. Also, a large portion of the 400k Steam copies were very likely pre-orders, so adding that number on top of the multiplatform pre-order numbers isn't quite accurate.

Unless it states otherwise, those would be sold copies post-release in most cases of metrics measuring.

Not sure if you understand how SteamSpy works. It basically takes a sample of Steam profiles and sees what games they own, then extrapolates that into total number of owners on Steam. It does not distinguish between pre-orders and post-launch sales.

And again, the 1.5 million figure was across all three platforms, not just PC. The SteamSpy figure of ~450k gives a pretty accurate number for PC sales. Given the sales breakdowns of other games, GOG and other sellers probably contribute 50k-100k, so ~500k total seems fair. That's not an awful number, given how new the game is, but it's not nearly enough to cover the costs of developing a 3D, open-world, 100+ hour RPG with high production values. That's why Witcher 3 is multiplatform and why all future CDPR games will be multiplatform as well.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 08:34 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 25, 2015, 08:24:
Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 00:07:
According to SteamSpy's estimates, W3 has sold about 400k on Steam. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate that total sales so far have been around 500k. Lifetime PC sales will probably be around 4-5 million, though most of those will be at significantly discounted prices. I'd estimate about 800k total PC sales at full price.

Witcher 3 pre-orders(not shipped--sold) exceeded 1.5m copies, that means the game has hit 1.9-2.2m copies sold already.

That figure was for all three platforms, not just PC. Also, a large portion of the 400k Steam copies were very likely pre-orders, so adding that number on top of the multiplatform pre-order numbers isn't quite accurate.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 08:31 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 06:36:
Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:14:
Techie714 © wrote on May 24, 2015, 14:23:
Good seeing The Witcher 3 in here! Even though I've had some SERIOUS problems with the game actually launching for me after the latest patch, it's still a great game.

*Side note if you have not seen the Pillars Documentary yet it's REALLY interesting & good. Those guys poured their hearts & souls into that game.

It's Backers only for now though... and yes, it's a good documentary, but it also clearly shows where the problems where... Before the KS they had nothing prepared. And the game feels like it too.

Eh? I thought Pillars was great. Obsidian clearly put a lot of thought into it. They made a ton of much-needed refinements to the genre (no encumbrance/inventory limit, AoE-based looting, clearly explained and easily referenced skills, attributes and status effects, easy way to adjust combat speed during gameplay, clear visual indication of NPC stealth detection, etc). The lore is also super in-depth and fleshed out. They also made some interesting innovations to the traditional magic systems with the cypher and chanter classes. The game had everything I'd expect from a BG-inspired CRPG, in addition to the skill checks and interesting choices offered by PST.

You may not have enjoyed PoE for whatever reason but claiming that the game feels half-assed or poorly conceived doesn't really reflect reality.

Wha.. I never said that I mean it feels like they rushed the actual design phase which shows in how certain fights were designed and how certain classes have huge skill trees, while others lack even basic skills. This is a clear sign that nothing of this stuff was thought out or even prepared pre KS. Normally you have a clear and well put together plan of skills, enemy skills, combat setup and combat balance WAY before you start making a game.

This is also reflected in how certain maps have tons of chokepoints that the AI can't cope with. In fact the AI is nearly non-existent. And compared to IE games the scripted AI of your own dudes is also completely missing.

And lastly, no romance = no BG2 contender

I also need to add, I expected a IWD2 inspired game. And IWD2 is VASTLY superior to PoE in terms of combat and class design And to me PoE is also absolutely inferior to BG2.. but then this is nostalgia speaking I guess.

There's a big difference between combat encounters and combat systems. The first is a matter of level design, the other is system design. The combat systems in PoE clearly have a lot of thought put into them, as they address most of the issues that the IE games had. The combat encounters, perhaps less so. As for variable skill counts, that's pretty standard for RPGs. Magic-based classes always have more skills than fighters or rogues. This was true in the IE games as well.

The absence of companion AI wasn't really an issue for me, given that I constantly micromanage them anyway. In a game where spells and abilities can only be used once per encounter or per rest, AI can't really be trusted to use them wisely. Obsidian did the right thing. Instead of wasting time and resources on trying to make useful companion AI, they instead recognized that nobody who plays these games relies on companion AI anyway.

It should be noted that I'm not a big fan of Forgotten Realms or the 2nd Edition ruleset used in the IE games, so I don't quite have the same love of those games as others (except for PST, which was great because it used the Planescape setting and made combat optional). I thought the combat and class systems in PoE were far more interesting and intuitive because they were actually designed for a videogame, instead of trying to make pen and paper rules work on a fundamentally different format.

News Comments > Game Reviews
33. Re: RE: Game Reviews May 25, 2015, 06:00 Jerykk

I'm guessing that magic, potions, bombs, oils, etc, aren't that important on Normal difficulty. In the video review, I saw the player getting hit and barely taking any damage. That's definitely not what happens on the highest difficulty. You can be fighting enemies that are more than 5 levels below you and you'll still take a hefty amount of damage when hit. Fight enemies at or above your level and you'll usually die in 1-3 hits. Planning ahead, making proper use of consumables and learning how to dodge properly is the key to success.

As for controls, I think the combat controls are fine. Attacks are fully committed and can't be canceled (same as in Witcher 2) but that really isn't a problem once you learn the timings. The navigation controls, on the other hand, are pretty bad. The acceleration and deceleration are way too slow, your turn speed is too slow while running and you can't turn while the run-to-idle transition is playing. You have to switch to walk mode if you want to make minor movements. They clearly prioritized animation over responsiveness when it comes to traversal and that's never a good thing.

On a side note, I find Mac (the reviewer) to generally be an idiot. He often complains about games being too casual and easy when he's clearly playing them on Normal difficulty, which is basically equivalent to playing on Easy these days. If you want a challenge from any mainstream game, you need to play on the highest difficulty.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2015, 06:10.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 05:39 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:14:
Techie714 © wrote on May 24, 2015, 14:23:
Good seeing The Witcher 3 in here! Even though I've had some SERIOUS problems with the game actually launching for me after the latest patch, it's still a great game.

*Side note if you have not seen the Pillars Documentary yet it's REALLY interesting & good. Those guys poured their hearts & souls into that game.

It's Backers only for now though... and yes, it's a good documentary, but it also clearly shows where the problems where... Before the KS they had nothing prepared. And the game feels like it too.

Eh? I thought Pillars was great. Obsidian clearly put a lot of thought into it. They made a ton of much-needed refinements to the genre (no encumbrance/inventory limit, AoE-based looting, clearly explained and easily referenced skills, attributes and status effects, easy way to adjust combat speed during gameplay, clear visual indication of NPC stealth detection, etc). The lore is also super in-depth and fleshed out. They also made some interesting innovations to the traditional magic systems with the cypher and chanter classes. The game had everything I'd expect from a BG-inspired CRPG, in addition to the skill checks and interesting choices offered by PST.

You may not have enjoyed PoE for whatever reason but claiming that the game feels half-assed or poorly conceived doesn't really reflect reality.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2015, 05:45.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 02:11 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on May 25, 2015, 01:25:
I don't think people realize just how diverse the PC gaming audience is.

PC gamers are much more prone to fall into genre locks than console players. There are much fewer games which every PC gamer has to play than is the case for console.

There are people who only play turn-based 4x games(and those further subdivided), people who only play sims, people who only play racing games, people who only play historic grand strategy games. Or at the very least many people who only spend day 1 money on those genres. Console gamers tend to embrace multiple genres of games more easily and readily.

Every now and there there will be a Skyrim or Total War which will grab whole swatches of PC gamers, but that's not the norm, it's the exception.

Not sure how accurate that is. There are lots of console players (likely the majority) that only play the big-budget, heavily-hyped releases like GTA, Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Madden, etc. These players are less likely to play a game like Witcher 3 because it isn't a franchise they're familiar with.

Similarly, there are a lot of genres that don't have much of an audience on consoles. Strategy games (TBS and RTS), old-school RPGs, survival sandbox games, old-school adventure games, racing sims (along with all the other sims), etc. I'll be very interested to see how well Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin do when they're released on consoles.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 00:07 Jerykk

Saboth wrote on May 24, 2015, 22:53:
CDPR stated W3 wouldn't have been able to be made without the income from console sales. Hopefully with their 3 spot success on steam, any future games won't have to have so many glaring concessions to consoles. I'm loving the game, but you can handily spot areas where things had to be toned down or changed to make things easier for less powerful console machines or controller control.

According to SteamSpy's estimates, W3 has sold about 400k on Steam. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate that total sales so far have been around 500k. Lifetime PC sales will probably be around 4-5 million, though most of those will be at significantly discounted prices. I'd estimate about 800k total PC sales at full price.

Sadly, that kind of revenue isn't enough to produce games of the same scope and quality as W3. Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely going to be multiplatform, as will any future Witcher games. These kinds of games simply aren't viable without multiplatform sales and as long as that's the case, games will always be bottlenecked by the weakest platforms.

14377 Comments. 719 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo