Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
12. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:49 Jerykk

Darks wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 23:47:
Super Excited about this. That looks so awesome. And they were showing off the Xbox version of the game. so you can imaging how much nicer the PC version will look.

I'm defiantly buying the Collectors. gotta get hat PiP Boy.

Pretty sure they were just playing the PC version with an Xbox controller. 99% of E3 presentations use the PC version, even when the game isn't coming out for PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Announced
5. Re: Dishonored 2 Announced Jun 14, 2015, 23:43 Jerykk

Would have preferred actual gameplay but still happy that a sequel is being made. Also great that you get to play as a female protagonist this time, though the ability to choose Corvo is a bit of a cop-out.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
8. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:40 Jerykk

New dialogue system looks like a major step back. Each option is mapped to a face button on a gamepad, so does that mean we'll never have more than 4 dialogue options at any given time? What about skill checks? Fully-voiced player character means less dialogue options too.

The Fallout series is defined by the ability to personalize your character and much of that came from dialogue options and skill checks. Granted, Bethesda has never been good at either of those but now the system itself is a limiting factor. Very disappointing.

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
22. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:32 Jerykk

shihonage wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 21:22:
Techie714 wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 13:48:
Sorry, but no matter how much you dislike the business practices of Bethesda (Zenimax) you have to give them credit for delivering some seriously rock solid games that most of us have spent HUNDREDS of hours in. I know I'll be spending at least 100+ hours in F4 & Dishonored was an OUTSTANDING game. Really looking forward to tonight's stream!

Well, that's because you haven't played enough games. When that point hits when you see The Matrix and all games just become blonde, brunette, redhead... you will want something new. Something more.

Something that is not a lifeless, poorly written, creatively bankrupt grind agonized into existence by bleary-eyed programmers whipped into a schedule by corporate management.

When that happens, call me, I'll fly out on my jetpack, we'll hang out.

You might be the only person in existence to accuse Dishonored of being lifeless, poorly written and creatively bankrupt.

News Comments > Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled
20. Re: Dishonored Game Announcement Accidentally Spoiled Jun 14, 2015, 21:13 Jerykk

Ravor wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 19:52:
Thought the game was good but I didn't think any of the skills where really well planned, none of them really seemed to align around completing the game without killing anyone, which I found to be disappointing. Other then that, 8/10.

What? Blink, Bend Time, Dark Vision, Possession and Agility were all super useful for being stealthy and evading enemies. I beat the game without killing anyone (and without neutralizing almost anyone) and those were the abilities I used.

Does anyone actually know the console-to-PC ratio for SKyrim sales.

According to SteamSpy, about 8 million people own Skyrim on PC. I doubt the console versions sold much more than that.

Rock solid? Hardly. If it wasn't for the fact that they allow modding of their games they'd have been toast long ago.

I think you're severely overestimating the impact of modding on sales. Bethesda could abandon PC completely and they'd still sell millions of ES and FO games. Modding is awesome and I can't imagine playing a Bethesda RPG without it, but I'm not going to pretend that my personal opinion is representative of consumers as a whole.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2015, 21:19.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer
8. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Batmobile Trailer Jun 13, 2015, 17:45 Jerykk

Looks good from a technical standpoint but looks like it obscures gameplay too. Black Flag also had Nvidia smoke effects and you basically couldn't see anything when you used your pistols.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 13, 2015, 04:25 Jerykk

I thought FC4 was great. Improved upon FC3 in every way. Better missions, better vehicles, better animals, better weapons, better AI, better towers, better world-building, better characters and better story. Granted, the world wasn't nearly as fleshed out or interesting as an RPG's but for a shooter, it was well-done.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Jun 12, 2015, 00:30 Jerykk

Very surprised to see such high GOG numbers, even with GOG keys being bundled with videocards. Figured Steam would be at least 70% of PC sales.

Good news for GOG. Now they just need to flesh out Galaxy and add some much-needed features like cloud saves and Steam overlay compatibility.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
63. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 11, 2015, 23:40 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 08:48:
You are wrong, I never said "Divinity has sold more units because it's a better game" Nor did I say anything about Pillars being a failure. You just wasted a ton of your life googling dumb shit that don't matter.

I said Pillars was a good game, and I said better games get better attention for longer. And the subject was length of time on steam charts.

So... you claim you never said that Divinity sold more because it's a better a game, but you did say that Divinity got more attention because better games get more attention. Do you not see the inherent contradiction there? Probably not, actually. I don't think you've put a lot of thought into this.

As for googling facts to help establish the truth, I don't really see that as a waste of time. Apparently you can't be bothered which is why your argument isn't holding up too well.

On a side note, you probably shouldn't criticize others for wasting time when you're arguing on an internet forum.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Announced
16. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Announced Jun 11, 2015, 23:22 Jerykk

Really hope the press release was just poorly phrased and that the game hasn't turned into a glorified dungeon crawl. Procedurally-generated levels tend to feel generic and forgettable and will never be an effective replacement for lovingly handcrafted levels.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
1. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 11, 2015, 23:20 Jerykk

Jetpack? Check.
Rocket launcher? Check.

Yeah, I think I know who my character is going to be. I'm loving the gameplay diversity in Overwatch. Not very common in shooters these days.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2015, 00:33.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Teased
8. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Teased Jun 11, 2015, 00:00 Jerykk

Nice. I was worried that the first game didn't sell well enough to justify a sequel but it looks like it did. If they improve the gunplay and level design, it should be great.  

58. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 23:29 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 13:20:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 12:42:
Your reading comprehension is lacking. "Pays homage" is not the same as "from the makers of." If you watch the Kickstarter video, they actually give themselves credit for a bunch of RPGs but BG is not among them.

Uuhh... so you are illiterate then? Why did you skip the second paragraph where they clearly state "Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making" and "At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games".

Seriously, I'm speechless at your lack of reading comprehension and your profound lack of ability to process information. Then you claiming to "offer facts" (more like grade A bullshit) while ignoring REAL facts presented to you is simply cute at this point.

Again demonstrating your probably intentional lack of reading comprehension. Go back and read your quotes again. At no point did Obsidian claim that they worked on Baldur's Gate. They said "we have the people responsible for many of those classic games." Not all, just many. That's an accurate statement. They have staff that worked on the Fallout games and the Icewind Dale games and Planescape Torment and Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil. Just not Baldur's Gate, which is why they didn't include it in the video when listing the games they actually worked on.

I'm pretty sure you're just being intentionally dense at this point. When you claimed that Obsidian's name holds legendary historic value amongst mainstream gamers, that was a pretty obvious tell.

The facts speak for themselves which isn't very important depending on how they are taken in. It was your "IWD re-release poor sales means BG fans aren't around" that made me realize you were getting desperate.

Firstly, I never claimed that the IWD remaster's lackluster sales meant that BG fans aren't around. I suggested that it proves that Obsidian's history doesn't hold value for most gamers. The BG remasters actually sold well, though that only proves that Bioware and/or the BG franchise still hold value. BG was always the most successful and most well-known of the IE games and Bioware has a released a lot of modern hits so this is no surprise.

Secondly, you're still ignoring the facts that undermine your argument. You claim that Divinity has sold more units because it's a better game. Let's look at the facts:
- PoE has a MC critic score of 90 while D:OS has a score of 87.
- PoE has a MC user score of 84 while D:OS has a score of 87.
- PoE has a higher peak concurrent player count than D:OS (almost double).
- PoE has a higher active player count than D:OS.
- D:OS was featured in the first daily deal of the 2014 Steam Summer sale and officially launched on the last day.
- PoE hasn't been a part of any Steam sale.
- D:OS sold 500k total over the span of two months while PoE has sold 370k on Steam within two months. There are no figures for PoE's non-Steam sales.
- PoE has an average playtime of 32 hours while D:OS has an average playtime of 35 hours.

How you can look at this data and claim that PoE is a failure compared to D:OS just seems absurd. If anything, the facts suggest that both games share similar success. D:OS has more sales overall, but it's also been out a lot longer and has been part of multiple Steam sales.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2015, 23:58.

52. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 12:42 Jerykk

^ so... yeah, Obsidian did not advertise themselves as the makers of BG or other Infinity engine games at all, right? Naaaaahhh. Not at all. Why would they?

Your reading comprehension is lacking. "Pays homage" is not the same as "from the makers of." If you watch the Kickstarter video, they actually give themselves credit for a bunch of RPGs but BG is not among them.

It's also very amusing how you first started calling BS on SteamSpy and are now obviously using SteamSpy numbers to "prove" that IwD only sold 45K copies. Which is it? Is SteamSpy reliable only if it fits your agenda, Mr. Hypocrite?

When did I ever call BS on SteamSpy? I said that SteamSpy doesn't account for non-Steam sales (which it doesn't), so its numbers will be lower than actual numbers. However, since Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, SteamSpy still offers a good indication of game's overall success.

Your claims are getting increasingly easy to refute, Mr. Troll.

I was taking you serious at first, but the last few replies you sound like an angry Pillars troll who can't accept that a nobody like Larian beatdown your favorite developer on every front.

I guess offering facts that undermine your argument makes me a troll?

45. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 02:17 Jerykk

Again: You started with the "mainstream appeal" so you'd have to defend your use of it and not I.

I already explained my use of "mainstream appeal." I used it the same way anyone would use the term "mainstream." Apparently you're the one exception?

In any case, no, there's not a very high chance of mainstream (and by mainstream, I mean average/casual/non-hardcore) gamers having heard of BG, ID or PST. Go to E3 and take a survey of how many people have played or even heard of PST (the game Avellone is most known for). I'd love to see the results.

The Obsidian brand holds value to people who loved FO1&2, ID and PST. To anyone else, it is meaningless.

So if a KS RPG is advertised as "from the makers of BG, IwD and PST", games which have sold in the millions of copies and that have a legendary historical reputation PLUS that have pretty popular remakes that were made available across a wide range of platforms including Steam, GOG, and even mobile crap like iOS, come on... no contest on ALL levels compared to the rather unknown dudes from Belgium with their poorly handled (by their publishers) international releases Divine Divinity or the Dragon Knight Saga.

Obsidian never advertised themselves as the makers of BG, which is easily the most well-known of the IE games and the series that received successful remasters across multiple platforms. Here's another fun fact: The Icewind Dale remaster has sold around 45k copies on Steam. Pretty popular, eh? All those mainstream gamers really embracing Obsidian's legendary historical status!

43. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 01:28 Jerykk

I'm not sure why you'd think "mainstream" would mean anything other than "average Joe." That's pretty much the definition of mainstream. And again, if you honestly think BG, ID or PST hold any meaning to mainstream gamers, you're delusional.  

41. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 00:42 Jerykk

Ha! You honestly think BG, ID or PST have mainstream appeal? I'm guessing at least 90% of Steam users haven't even played any of those games.

The IE games appeal to the niche audience that played them over a decade ago. That is the audience that backed PoE. The average joe? No idea what IE even refers to and probably thinks that Bethesda created Fallout. Also probably didn't back D:OS, WL2, Banner Saga, Shadowrun, PoE or pretty much any other Kickstarter. Definitely doesn't know who Avellone, Urquheart or Sawyer are.

When it comes to mainstream appeal, presentation is key and D:OS's presentation definitely has broader appeal.

500k for D:OS versus 370k for Pillars in the first 2 months. Aside from that, D:OS managed to grab 830k steam sales so far in a year, and modding really hasn't even taken off.

The 500k figure included GOG sales, the 370k figure does not. It's also worth noting that Divinity was part of the 2014 Steam summer sale (and had a 20% discount as one of the first daily deals). The game officially launched on the last day of the summer sale too. PoE has not been a part of any Steam sale yet.

So, all things considered, PoE has done pretty well. Had it launched during a Steam sale, it would likely have numbers pretty close to Divinity's.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2015, 01:02.

38. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 23:02 Jerykk

People put entirely too much weight into Steam charts, even though they are completely relative and don't provide any actual numbers.

For example, more people own PoE on Steam than Elite: Dangerous. 370k vs 150k. That's more than double, even though Elite was in the top 10 charts more frequently.

If you look at first month sales, PoE likely did better than WL2, D:OS, Banner Saga or Shadowrun. If you look at lifetime sales, PoE is doing comparatively well given the lack of any meaningful discounts thus far. If PoE gets a decent discount during the summer sale, its numbers will rise significantly.

Also, D:OS was definitely less niche than PoE. D:OS had bright, colorful, cartoony 3D graphics and humorous, light-hearted writing. It also had co-op, which gained it a lot of media attention. PoE is a very traditional 2D CRPG with a much darker and somber tone. When it comes to mainstream appeal, D:OS is easily the more appealing of the two games.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2015, 23:12.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
20. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 12:39 Jerykk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 09:53:
Would be nice to know how many was PC version and how many of that were free copies with video cards.

SteamSpy shows about 570k owners on Steam and the video card copies were GOG-only. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate total PC sales (including bundled copies) are probably around 600k-700k.

3. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 12:33 Jerykk

How was PoE a "one trick pony"? It was a great CRPG with a 90% Metacritic score and very positive user reviews. It has sold well considering how briefly it's been out and it will no doubt sell plenty more when it receives its first post-launch discount. It has a higher concurrent player count than any of the other old-school CRPGs (almost double that of D:OS) and a higher active player count.

I'm pretty sure Obsidian is quite happy with the success of PoE and is currently working on expansions for it.

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo