Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14263 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 08:34 Jerykk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 25, 2015, 08:24:
Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 00:07:
According to SteamSpy's estimates, W3 has sold about 400k on Steam. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate that total sales so far have been around 500k. Lifetime PC sales will probably be around 4-5 million, though most of those will be at significantly discounted prices. I'd estimate about 800k total PC sales at full price.

Witcher 3 pre-orders(not shipped--sold) exceeded 1.5m copies, that means the game has hit 1.9-2.2m copies sold already.

That figure was for all three platforms, not just PC. Also, a large portion of the 400k Steam copies were very likely pre-orders, so adding that number on top of the multiplatform pre-order numbers isn't quite accurate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 08:31 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 06:36:
Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:14:
Techie714 wrote on May 24, 2015, 14:23:
Good seeing The Witcher 3 in here! Even though I've had some SERIOUS problems with the game actually launching for me after the latest patch, it's still a great game.

*Side note if you have not seen the Pillars Documentary yet it's REALLY interesting & good. Those guys poured their hearts & souls into that game.

It's Backers only for now though... and yes, it's a good documentary, but it also clearly shows where the problems where... Before the KS they had nothing prepared. And the game feels like it too.

Eh? I thought Pillars was great. Obsidian clearly put a lot of thought into it. They made a ton of much-needed refinements to the genre (no encumbrance/inventory limit, AoE-based looting, clearly explained and easily referenced skills, attributes and status effects, easy way to adjust combat speed during gameplay, clear visual indication of NPC stealth detection, etc). The lore is also super in-depth and fleshed out. They also made some interesting innovations to the traditional magic systems with the cypher and chanter classes. The game had everything I'd expect from a BG-inspired CRPG, in addition to the skill checks and interesting choices offered by PST.

You may not have enjoyed PoE for whatever reason but claiming that the game feels half-assed or poorly conceived doesn't really reflect reality.

Wha.. I never said that I mean it feels like they rushed the actual design phase which shows in how certain fights were designed and how certain classes have huge skill trees, while others lack even basic skills. This is a clear sign that nothing of this stuff was thought out or even prepared pre KS. Normally you have a clear and well put together plan of skills, enemy skills, combat setup and combat balance WAY before you start making a game.

This is also reflected in how certain maps have tons of chokepoints that the AI can't cope with. In fact the AI is nearly non-existent. And compared to IE games the scripted AI of your own dudes is also completely missing.

And lastly, no romance = no BG2 contender

I also need to add, I expected a IWD2 inspired game. And IWD2 is VASTLY superior to PoE in terms of combat and class design And to me PoE is also absolutely inferior to BG2.. but then this is nostalgia speaking I guess.

There's a big difference between combat encounters and combat systems. The first is a matter of level design, the other is system design. The combat systems in PoE clearly have a lot of thought put into them, as they address most of the issues that the IE games had. The combat encounters, perhaps less so. As for variable skill counts, that's pretty standard for RPGs. Magic-based classes always have more skills than fighters or rogues. This was true in the IE games as well.

The absence of companion AI wasn't really an issue for me, given that I constantly micromanage them anyway. In a game where spells and abilities can only be used once per encounter or per rest, AI can't really be trusted to use them wisely. Obsidian did the right thing. Instead of wasting time and resources on trying to make useful companion AI, they instead recognized that nobody who plays these games relies on companion AI anyway.

It should be noted that I'm not a big fan of Forgotten Realms or the 2nd Edition ruleset used in the IE games, so I don't quite have the same love of those games as others (except for PST, which was great because it used the Planescape setting and made combat optional). I thought the combat and class systems in PoE were far more interesting and intuitive because they were actually designed for a videogame, instead of trying to make pen and paper rules work on a fundamentally different format.

News Comments > Game Reviews
33. Re: RE: Game Reviews May 25, 2015, 06:00 Jerykk

I'm guessing that magic, potions, bombs, oils, etc, aren't that important on Normal difficulty. In the video review, I saw the player getting hit and barely taking any damage. That's definitely not what happens on the highest difficulty. You can be fighting enemies that are more than 5 levels below you and you'll still take a hefty amount of damage when hit. Fight enemies at or above your level and you'll usually die in 1-3 hits. Planning ahead, making proper use of consumables and learning how to dodge properly is the key to success.

As for controls, I think the combat controls are fine. Attacks are fully committed and can't be canceled (same as in Witcher 2) but that really isn't a problem once you learn the timings. The navigation controls, on the other hand, are pretty bad. The acceleration and deceleration are way too slow, your turn speed is too slow while running and you can't turn while the run-to-idle transition is playing. You have to switch to walk mode if you want to make minor movements. They clearly prioritized animation over responsiveness when it comes to traversal and that's never a good thing.

On a side note, I find Mac (the reviewer) to generally be an idiot. He often complains about games being too casual and easy when he's clearly playing them on Normal difficulty, which is basically equivalent to playing on Easy these days. If you want a challenge from any mainstream game, you need to play on the highest difficulty.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2015, 06:10.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 05:39 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2015, 05:14:
Techie714 wrote on May 24, 2015, 14:23:
Good seeing The Witcher 3 in here! Even though I've had some SERIOUS problems with the game actually launching for me after the latest patch, it's still a great game.

*Side note if you have not seen the Pillars Documentary yet it's REALLY interesting & good. Those guys poured their hearts & souls into that game.

It's Backers only for now though... and yes, it's a good documentary, but it also clearly shows where the problems where... Before the KS they had nothing prepared. And the game feels like it too.

Eh? I thought Pillars was great. Obsidian clearly put a lot of thought into it. They made a ton of much-needed refinements to the genre (no encumbrance/inventory limit, AoE-based looting, clearly explained and easily referenced skills, attributes and status effects, easy way to adjust combat speed during gameplay, clear visual indication of NPC stealth detection, etc). The lore is also super in-depth and fleshed out. They also made some interesting innovations to the traditional magic systems with the cypher and chanter classes. The game had everything I'd expect from a BG-inspired CRPG, in addition to the skill checks and interesting choices offered by PST.

You may not have enjoyed PoE for whatever reason but claiming that the game feels half-assed or poorly conceived doesn't really reflect reality.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2015, 05:45.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 02:11 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on May 25, 2015, 01:25:
I don't think people realize just how diverse the PC gaming audience is.

PC gamers are much more prone to fall into genre locks than console players. There are much fewer games which every PC gamer has to play than is the case for console.

There are people who only play turn-based 4x games(and those further subdivided), people who only play sims, people who only play racing games, people who only play historic grand strategy games. Or at the very least many people who only spend day 1 money on those genres. Console gamers tend to embrace multiple genres of games more easily and readily.

Every now and there there will be a Skyrim or Total War which will grab whole swatches of PC gamers, but that's not the norm, it's the exception.

Not sure how accurate that is. There are lots of console players (likely the majority) that only play the big-budget, heavily-hyped releases like GTA, Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Madden, etc. These players are less likely to play a game like Witcher 3 because it isn't a franchise they're familiar with.

Similarly, there are a lot of genres that don't have much of an audience on consoles. Strategy games (TBS and RTS), old-school RPGs, survival sandbox games, old-school adventure games, racing sims (along with all the other sims), etc. I'll be very interested to see how well Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin do when they're released on consoles.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2015, 00:07 Jerykk

Saboth wrote on May 24, 2015, 22:53:
CDPR stated W3 wouldn't have been able to be made without the income from console sales. Hopefully with their 3 spot success on steam, any future games won't have to have so many glaring concessions to consoles. I'm loving the game, but you can handily spot areas where things had to be toned down or changed to make things easier for less powerful console machines or controller control.

According to SteamSpy's estimates, W3 has sold about 400k on Steam. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate that total sales so far have been around 500k. Lifetime PC sales will probably be around 4-5 million, though most of those will be at significantly discounted prices. I'd estimate about 800k total PC sales at full price.

Sadly, that kind of revenue isn't enough to produce games of the same scope and quality as W3. Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely going to be multiplatform, as will any future Witcher games. These kinds of games simply aren't viable without multiplatform sales and as long as that's the case, games will always be bottlenecked by the weakest platforms.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
12. Re: Overwatch Trailer May 23, 2015, 04:54 Jerykk

<Electric-Spock> wrote on May 22, 2015, 21:32:
I hope this is a good game, as the FPS's have been quite stale as of late, but from the last 2 trailers, the gameplay seems a bit boring. I don't want to judge something I know practically nothing about, but it looks like it would get boring shooting arrows over and over. No secondary weapon? How about a close range dagger, maybe some grenades or evasive ninja puffs of smoke? Jump kicks, Karate chops, Fatality's from behind?

Ohhhh and F2P... *fart noise*

Google is your friend.
Hanzo abilities

News Comments > Expeditions: Viking Announced
5. Re: Expeditions: Viking Announced May 23, 2015, 04:45 Jerykk

Very happy to hear about this. I thought Conquistador was great, especially how they handled skill checks and companion interactions. The combat was relatively simplistic, though it made some much needed changes to the standard turn-based formula. Specifically, melee attacks were always guaranteed hits which meant you could focus more on strategy and less on RNG.

That said, not sure how they're funding this. I thought they said that the first game sold pretty poorly. On top of that, they're still working on their 3D stealth game which surely requires a lot of assets and coding.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale
12. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 23, 2015, 04:26 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on May 22, 2015, 08:50:
Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2015, 23:13:
Slashman wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:46:
Unless there is marked improvement in the melee combat animations, I'm skipping. I don't want to play a martial artist who kicks and punches like an 84 year old granny with acute rheumatoid arthritis. Wall

...really? That's the dumbest reason I've ever heard for skipping an RPG, especially an isometric one.

How is a reason that kills my immersion dumb? If I choose to play a certain character and that character fails to convince me that they are what the description says, then it pisses me off. Have you actually looked closely at the animations for the sword and unarmed combat in the game?

I guess we just have different priorities. For me, combat animations are pretty much at the bottom of the list when it comes to RPGs. Things like quest design, skill checks, dialogue, customization, story, etc, are all much more important to me and Dragonfall handled all those things very well.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer
13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Trailer May 21, 2015, 23:41 Jerykk

First trailer had better visuals, though that's probably because they only showed the one area that they'd polished thoroughly. Given the variety of locations in this trailer, what's shown likely hasn't received the same amount of polish yet.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale
4. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Trailer; Shadowrun Sale May 21, 2015, 23:13 Jerykk

Slashman wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:46:
Unless there is marked improvement in the melee combat animations, I'm skipping. I don't want to play a martial artist who kicks and punches like an 84 year old granny with acute rheumatoid arthritis. Wall

...really? That's the dumbest reason I've ever heard for skipping an RPG, especially an isometric one.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2015, 22:57 Jerykk

Steam certainly has its faults but it's still the best distribution platform out there (Galaxy included). For every bad feature, there are five good features. Galaxy is pretty barebones right now and has the potential to be good, but the DRM-free stance means it will never have anywhere near the selection of Steam. If you play a lot of games and many of those are AAA games, using Galaxy exclusively just isn't viable.  

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
52. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 19:56 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2015, 18:39:
You are fighting demons from hell, that shoot fire balls and shit...and peoples argument was they were teleporting in from nowhere. /facepalm

Newsflash, Having prespawned enemies takes resources, resources that can be better used to elsewhere...and Doom 3 wasnt the first nor the last to spawn enemies rather than preplace them in the world.

There actually is a pretty meaningful difference between monsters that teleport in and monsters that are hidden by walls. In the original games, you could hear the monsters through the walls and prepare appropriately. In D3, you would enter a room and a monster would teleport in behind you, then another one would teleport in after you kill the first one, rinse and repeat for 20 hours. It reeked of lazy level design. On the scale of level design no-nos, teleporting enemies ranks higher than monster closets.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
10. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 14:40 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 18, 2015, 14:22:
Looks terrible.

...seriously? They barely showed anything.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2015, 04:18 Jerykk

Hate to break it to you but big budget PC exclusives are only going to become less and less common. About 95% of AAA games are multiplatform these days. If you boycott every game that doesn't require a Titan X to run well, you aren't going to be playing many games.

The Crysis series is a pretty good example of why pushing the graphics envelope doesn't necessarily mean much. Crysis 3 looks great and still stresses top-end GPUs but that doesn't compensate for the boring and uninspired gameplay. If downgrading graphics for consoles means developers can make great, 100+ hour open-world RPGs like Witcher 3, I think it's a fair trade.

Also, claims that graphics are regressing are pretty unfounded. Even with the rise of multiplatform development, graphics have improved significantly over the past ten years. I don't see that trend changing just because a few games don't look as good as their initial trailers.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 17, 2015, 20:04 Jerykk

LittleMe wrote on May 17, 2015, 18:10:
I'm having second thoughts on W3. Here's another. It's not just about graphics, but what else have they butchered? It's screaming 'consolitis' right now and it's not even born yet.

Did you play Witcher 2? Did you enjoy it? If so, I wouldn't be too worried because Witcher 2 exhibited plenty of consolitis and was still a great game. The QTEs and UI were clearly designed for gamepads. From what I understand, W3 has removed QTEs and improved the UI, so that's already a step up.

Also, people really need to stop acting like downgraded graphics somehow ruin games. It may not be as pretty as the initial reveal but it still looks good. More importantly, it plays well according to reviews.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
4. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 16, 2015, 17:37 Jerykk

Lord Tea wrote on May 16, 2015, 16:31:
I'm shocked. Some of those screenshots look like Witcher 1.

/methinks you need to go back and replay Witcher 1...

News Comments > Invisible, Inc. Appears
13. Re: Invisible, Inc. Appears May 14, 2015, 04:35 Jerykk

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:28:
Flatline wrote on May 13, 2015, 12:12:
Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 10:13:
This game sounds like a definite $5 or less sale pickup.

Dude I don't think I've *ever* seen you say "why yes, this game is worth full retail price!"

Then you're very selective in what you read and remember about my posts. GTA games worth every day one purchase and then some. TES, Fallout, etc. all worth it. I have plenty of day one purchases under my belt over the last 20 years. However, we also have a metric shit ton of shovelware coming out every day now and most of it isn't even worth a purchase at all and if it is, it's only on a very deep discount.

This game - from what I glean from reviews - has about 5 hours of actual content. The rest of it is just random generation of the small existing assets and the random generation doesn't work too well by all accounts. Does that sound like it's worth $20+ dollars to you? It sure doesn't to me. But that's just me. I actually want value for my money.

I guess it's a good thing that the game doesn't cost $20+. As for content, shouldn't you be more concerned with actual playtime? Quality > quantity. Games like Invisible Inc are designed for replayability. That's why they use procedural generation and that's why a single playthrough is relatively short. The long-term appeal stems from the depth of the game's systems and mechanics.

News Comments > Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content
11. Re: Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Free Content May 14, 2015, 04:07 Jerykk

Not sure why people are so averse to this being from a different developer. HBS doesn't own the Shadowrun IP and it's not like they have a flawless track record. Shadowrun Returns was okay, Dragonfall was great. A solid track record but not quite enough to establish them as a top-tier developer.

You should judge Chronicles based on its own merits and not the name of its developer.

That said, the pricing seems pretty ridiculous. They shouldn't have charged more than $20 for this.

News Comments > Dead State: Reanimated
4. Re: Dead State: Reanimated May 13, 2015, 23:18 Jerykk

Was waiting for this patch before starting my playthrough. However, with Witcher 3 coming out in less than a week, I think I'll hold off. By the time I'm done with W3, any remaining issues with Dead State should be ironed out.  

14263 Comments. 714 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo