Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14086 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month
20. Re: Another Shadowrun Kickstarter Next Month Dec 18, 2014, 03:37 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 01:00:
GL1zdA wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 03:58:
The important fact is the first game allowed them to further develop and expand the game. I think this is what matters - to have a stable platform they could improve (not build another one from scratch) and spend most of their resources on content.

If they want to develop another campaign through Kickstarter I will definitely back the project.

I agree, it's just sad they stopped asking for money after the kickstarter. I didn't even hear about the kickstarter until long after it finished. People just assume that if you do a kickstarter people will know, they shouldn't. Advertising matters. I missed a cubic ass tonne of kickstarters I would have loved to know about.

Game developers really have a hard time getting shit out there and keeping it permanent. If anything I don't know why the guys behind kickstarter just don't do permanent crowdfunding campaign that allows people to give money after the kickstarter is done. Love or hate Star citizen but Chris roberts really showed us that you got to put effort into your fundraising if you want it to continue. No one would have expected that level of funding. I think many game devs are not really trying all that hard. It can't take a genius to setup your own crowdfunding site.

Most developers still accept PayPal donations after their Kickstarters end.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
45. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 04:34 Jerykk

Hatred has a lot of negative press and will undoubtedly receive more once released. Should Valve agree to sell the game, they will have to deal with angry e-mails from various groups and outlets. Given the fact that the game itself will likely not sell very well, Valve must have thought it wasn't worth the hassle. Conversely, GTAV will sell very well and any controversy it evoked peaked over a year ago when the game was first released on consoles.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2014, 04:14 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 19:45:
Redmask wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 19:21:
Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 13:57:
No matter how good games like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are, they are fillers to me. Not remotely as good as the stuff like Dragon Age, The Witcher, Mass Effect, etc. There's a reason developing the latter games takes and costs more. I feel that reason every damn minute playing, forgotten that I'm still on Earth.

That's because your taste is shallow, you admitted it already. You want visuals and thin gameplay over depth and complexity, that's fine. It's not a bad thing because everyone has different taste so whatever. I like plenty of trashy movies and books. No one cares until you start acting foolish about it and make ridiculous comparisons.

Give the Wasteland 2 devs 50 million to make a game like Bioware then I'm sure they will produce some fabulous spectacle to dazzle you.

"That's because your taste is shallow". *sigh* Such nonsense. Like I implied earlier, if that was the case I wouldn't enjoy books as much. It's about the way a story is told, really (if a game is devoid of one, like most sims for example, I don't touch them to begin with). For me, games like Wasteland and Divinity do have a story but its emphesis is mostly on combat and micromanagement. I don't see people play those type of games for the story (same goes for HoM&M for example). Then there's games who focus way more on the story and how it's told, and not just the story but a focus on the world the stoey occurs in. Those games would crumble to dust if the player wasn't motivated to find out more about the world and move on in the story. Those games are DA:I, The Witcher etc etc. That's what I meant to say with the jigsaw puzzle and reading a book comparison. I didn't mean to say one is worse than the other. A person can find joy in completing a jigsaw puzzle not because they desperately want to see the picture a complete jigsaw puzzle shows, but because of the act of just doing it. A person mostly doesn't read a book just for the act of reading, if you know what I mean. That's the difference. You can be both type of gamers but I'm mostly the book reading one, which is maybe why I have a hard time trying to understand all the complaints about the UI and gameplay in DA:I btw.

Wall of text, sorry. Smartphone.

Out of curiosity, have you actually played WL2 or D:OS? Neither game was as pretentious as Bioware's games but I thought their writing was interesting enough. Aside from the companions, I thought DA:I's writing was fairly mediocre. The story, characters and quests simply weren't as compelling as they were in DA:O. Also, Bioware's RPGs have a heavy emphasis on combat and micromanagement. They are all squad based and combat is often the only solution to any given problem.

Finally, the complaints about the UI and gameplay in DA:I have nothing to do with presentation or story. The tactical cam suffers from a number of problems, like not zooming out far enough, snapping to characters when you select them and arbitrarily colliding with the environment. DA:O was designed with the tactical cam in mind. DA:I clearly was not. There are also some baffling control issues, like characters not automatically running up to targets when you click on them or characters not auto-attacking when selected. Then there's the 8 slot limit of the hotbar, which serves no purpose other than catering to gamepads and discourages you from unlocking new active abilities in the late game. As for the gameplay, the side-quests were extremely half-assed. "Collect 10 shards!" "Close 5 rifts!" "Claim 10 landmarks!" "Read this note, then read another note, then find a loot container!" This is the stuff of MMOs, emphasizing quantity over quality. Bioware was so focused on creating a huge game that they forgot to fill it with interesting content.

DA:I is not a bad game. I wouldn't have put over 100 hours into it if it were. I liked the companions, I liked the combat, I liked the crafting and I liked exploring the various hubs. But the game has plenty of immersion-breaking flaws that other, lower-budget RPGs like WL2 or D:OS do not.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2014, 04:00 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:51:
The fact that you consider Wasteland 2 "simple" or "half-arsed" is downright absurd. There's nothing simple about it.

Except, you know, the combat, which is a majority of the game.

I dunno about you but I spent a good amount of time exploring, talking to NPCs and doing quests. Quests with branching paths that had an impact on the narrative and game world.

Was the combat simplistic? Sure. But combat is pretty low priority to me in an RPG. WL2's combat was good enough and about on par with Fallout's combat. Like Fallout, WL2 had interesting quest design, which DA:I severely lacked.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2014, 12:33 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 05:43:
Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 20:12:
Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 18:28:
My god Steam is becoming a fucking mess. Indie & early-access & Free To Play garbage everywhere I look. I personally don't upgrade my PC for 1200,- every 3 years to play that weird arcady shite. Immersion, man. Some quality RPG stuff. No sidescrollers or random generating maps crap. Hate to see this becoming the new PC thang.

/rage
(seriously, open your Steam app on your smartphone right now and feel where I'm coming from)

83 hours into DA:I and still got 3 huge areas to explore. Loving it. Can't wait for The Witcher 3 either. Luckily not all devs resort to the low-effort-big-cash-in shite Steam is swamped with these days.

Weird. I feel like you're me. Same feeling about Steam and I'm at the same point in DA:I as you and loving it. Weird.

Somehow read over this post last night (it was 4AM :P). Feels good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way about Steam! Funny how I'm stepping on people's toes here, obviously. Obviously, we can all have our opinions as long as it's not in conflict with others.

I just hate these half-arsed, simple games -- and for the record, I'm comparing it to stuff like DA:I, The Witcher, Wolfenstein, Skyrim etc. There's PC gamers here who act like this and that relatively simple indie-game is their wet dream come true, yet try their hardest to bitch about everything a big fish releases simply because it "can take the beating" (learned that much from earlier threads). Silly. There's this little and maybe irrational fear inside me other devs will catch wind of this thang going on, and maybe in a few years all we have is Wastelands, Dungeon Defenders and side-scrolling survival sims. While all these kinda games are fun in their own way, there's one thing they can't deliver and that's immersion, which is why they leave me as cold as ice.

The fact that you consider Wasteland 2 "simple" or "half-arsed" is downright absurd. There's nothing simple about it. It's a 80+ hour CRPG with tons of meaningful choices. Having completed both it and DA:I, I can safely say that the quest design in Wasteland 2 was way more interesting than the quest design in DA:I.

No, the only reason you'd ever classify Wasteland 2 as simple or half-arsed is because of its presentation. If the only thing you care about is presentation, no wonder people are offended by your comments. They come across as incredibly ignorant and shallow.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 15, 2014, 05:34 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 22:35:
Slick wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 21:04:

i understand that you can't risk 50 million dollars on a new ip that might flop, but it's because of that type of risk-aversion that steam is filled with all the indy stuff.

A scary truth. Not scary to everyone, sure. Many people love all the kind of different simple shit that's getting released almost daily and that's completely fine. For gamers like me, who really only play games for immersion, it's a big facepalm situation. [Most of the indie shite you see the moment you open the steam store, whatever the genre] is getting more popular every day, yet I've tried enough to know immersion isn't their selling point. Ironically, if I'd ever touch my dusty PS3, it would be to play a game like most of said shite. I don't say it should all disappear. I just feel that the crap and non-crap ratio was less horrible in the past.

By "immersion," I assume you mean "big-budget presentation." Immersion isn't limited to a game's presentation. Gameplay is a huge factor as well. Dwarf Fortress is a perfect example of that. Horrible presentation but once you get into the actual gameplay, you're immersed as can be. Conversely, a game like CoD has a great presentation but the gameplay is so vapid and forgettable that it's essentially impossible to become immersed in the experience.

As for the "crap and non-crap ratio," it wasn't less horrible in the past. There were just as many shitty games out there, they just weren't on Steam. However, there were also a lot of great games that weren't on Steam either. It's pretty easy to ignore games you don't care about. I'd rather have that option than miss out on games worth my attention.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 14, 2014, 19:14 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 18:28:
My god Steam is becoming a fucking mess. Indie & early-access & Free To Play garbage everywhere I look. I personally don't upgrade my PC for 1200,- every 3 years to play that weird arcady shite. Immersion, man. Some quality RPG stuff. No sidescrollers or random generating maps crap. Hate to see this becoming the new PC thang.

/rage
(seriously, open your Steam app on your smartphone right now and feel where I'm coming from)

83 hours into DA:I and still got 3 huge areas to explore. Loving it. Can't wait for The Witcher 3 either. Luckily not all devs resort to the low-effort-big-cash-in shite Steam is swamped with these days.

Still don't understand this logic. Even if indie, F2P and Early Access games disappeared, you wouldn't be seeing more big-budget games. You'd just be seeing fewer games overall. Steam already filters releases into Top Sellers and Popular New Releases. If you're concerned about quality, just stick to the Top Sellers.

It's baffling that people complain about having more choices. Isn't that what PC gaming is all about?

Also, the generalization of indie, Early Access and F2P games as "weird arcadey shite" is woefully ignorant. There's a pretty huge difference between DayZ, Banished, This War of Mine and Words For Evil, all of which fit under one or more of those categories. There's far more diversity under those categories than in the mainstream AAA category.

News Comments > Raven's Cry Delayed
7. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed Dec 14, 2014, 07:26 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 02:50:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 02:08:
harlock wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 23:21:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 22:49:
Another delay. Jan? Oh yeah, sure... sure...

maybe they dont want to compete with the xmas market

Fair point. Everybody is going to be buying the big-budget mainstream games this holiday. Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, The Crew, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc. Makes more sense to release in January when there's less competition.

Except that one ol' juggernaut release in Jan...you know, the little indie title called Grand Theft Auto 5...heard of it? I had to look it up, myself...

=-Rigs-=

A port of a game that came out over a year ago isn't much competition, even if it is GTA. 99% of people who wanted to play that game have already done so on consoles.

4. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed Dec 14, 2014, 02:08 Jerykk

harlock wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 23:21:
netnerd85 wrote on Dec 13, 2014, 22:49:
Another delay. Jan? Oh yeah, sure... sure...

maybe they dont want to compete with the xmas market

Fair point. Everybody is going to be buying the big-budget mainstream games this holiday. Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, The Crew, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc. Makes more sense to release in January when there's less competition.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released
17. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Free DLC Released Dec 13, 2014, 22:04 Jerykk

I picked up Rebirth at Best Buy for about $5. Apparently the patches and DLC have significantly improved the game but I'll wait for a few more before diving in.  

1. Re: Raven's Cry Delayed Dec 13, 2014, 22:01 Jerykk

I wasn't a big fan of the Two Worlds games but this could be good. Need more decent pirate games.  

News Comments > Sullied Areal Returns as STALKER Apocalypse
21. Re: Sullied Areal Returns as STALKER Apocalypse Dec 13, 2014, 01:22 Jerykk

Wow, talk about flagrant. Now they're trying even harder to mislead people into thinking this is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
38. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 11, 2014, 00:36 Jerykk

Good changes for Nightmare difficulty, though I don't really agree with the map removal. I found the map to be a necessity during my playthrough, as it was rarely obvious where you needed to go.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
77. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 9, 2014, 01:16 Jerykk

peteham wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 19:18:
Really looking forward to playing this after all the positive feedback.

For the ones who've played it, what difficulty did you go for? It seems normal is fairly easy but at the same time, one of the things that really killed DA2 for me was playing on hard (or whatever it was) and growing majorly tired of the game and the amount of babysitting required even for the endless amount of "trash" encounters. I eventually switched down just to get through faster, and the ability to auto attack through most thug encounters, but the game was already ruined by then, for this and other reasons.. Does Inquisition have enough of a progression curve and enemy variety to keep things interesting throughout on hard, or is it better to just melt face?

Also, how's the exploration aspect of it? Is it anything like Skyrim where you see something cool-looking on the horizon and decide to go there and check it out, or it it more in the Ubisoft style where you just follow a bread crumb path of map markers everywhere?

DA2 suffered from wave-based combat encounters. They did this because enemies were basically cannon fodder on Normal difficulty, whereas they posed a much greater threat on the higher difficulties. DA:I doesn't have wave-based enemy encounters (except for the rifts, but those are always just two waves and the composition of the second wave is usually predictable). I played through DA:I on Hard until I reached level 20, at which point I was just obliterating everything. Now I'm playing on Nightmare and the game seems sufficiently challenging.

As for this patch, hopefully it addresses the nonsensical M/KB design choices. I mean, really, I have to run up to an enemy or object and then click on it to interact? What's the point of even having a cursor? Also, when I target an enemy in tactical mode and then switch back to real-time, my character should continue auto-attacking that enemy until I specify otherwise.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
14. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Dec 8, 2014, 02:04 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 01:48:
I played about half of the first one, but it didn't really grab me. Are the sequels different enough that I should give them a try? Beside the batmobile, I mean.

No, the core gameplay is the same. The sequels are open-world and expand upon the combat but it's still the same overall experience.

As for the Batmobile, I'm not really sold. Driving around in it looks okay but I'd rather just glide and rappel through the city. The Batmobile combat looks pretty bland.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead State
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead State Dec 4, 2014, 23:34 Jerykk

I backed this and look forward to playing it, though I think I'll wait a month or two for the inevitable patches.  

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
19. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 12:25 Jerykk

Flatline wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 11:38:
Beamer wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 10:52:
Yes, the mission with stalking the celebrity is really gross, easily the worst part of a game with an already awful plot, but that's the only thing particularly bad that I remember.

Seriously that's the only "bad" thing you remember? Paparrazzi/stalking is worse than the mission that you torture the fuck out of someone?

Torture is fine as long as the victim is male.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 28, 2014, 17:30 Jerykk

PropheT wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 14:07:
I'm kind of tempted to pick up Shadows of Mordor since it's only $20 there...

Totally worth it.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2014, 21:28 Jerykk

I thought Wolfenstein was surprisingly good. The combat was very satisfying and a decent challenge on the highest difficulty. The game also had way more personality than I thought it would, particularly BJ.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
4. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Nov 25, 2014, 04:50 Jerykk

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 21:39:
Why the hell haven't they added Robin yet? Co-Op this with Robin and I'll gladly fork over 100 bucks.

You could play as Robin in the DLC for Arkham City. However, much like Catwoman, he just felt like a crappier version of Batman. You may very well be the only person in the world who actually wants to play as Robin.

As for Conroy, he is a classic but the guy who voiced Batman in Origins did a great job as well.

14086 Comments. 705 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo