Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jerykk

Real Name Jerykk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jerykk
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2004, 02:42
Total Comments 14410 (Ninja)
User ID 20715

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Video Diary
2. Re: Just Cause 3 Video Diary Aug 28, 2015, 04:46 Jerykk

So... you loved JC2, despite the fact that it was SP only and that MP was only introduced via an extremely buggy mod years later, yet you are boycotting JC3 because it doesn't have co-op?

What?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
45. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 28, 2015, 00:32 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 07:04:
Jerykk get some common sense. We did this dance before with you falling to the floor.

Obsidian sequeled the Fallout series, SWTOR series, NWN, made SPSOT, Wasteland 2, marketed with constant dips in the Baldurs Gate pool, etc. AND, are going to be making the Pathfinder series. They have some of the heftiest RPG nostalgia factor in the business with plenty of modern mega hits, all before the Pillars hype.

No, Obsidian took virtually no risk with their kickstart funded game.

Firstly, Obsidian did not make WL2. That was inXile. Avellone did the writing for a companion or two but that was the extent of Obsidian's involvement.

As before, you seem to be confusing "strong reputation among niche RPG enthusiasts" with "rolling in cash." None of Obsidian's games have been critical or commercial hits. Popular on RPGCodex? Sure. Popular among the other 99.99% of the gaming audience? Not so much. Fallout: New Vegas sold well because of the brand but Obsidian didn't see a penny in royalties. Same with South Park (note that the sequel isn't being developed by Obsidian). Obsidian has nowhere near the reputation or financial security of studios like Bioware.

Launching a Kickstarter isn't free. It takes a lot of preparation and a lot of upkeep. This requires people who need to get paid. It's important to remember that Obsidian's biggest project was canceled shortly before they started planning the Kickstarter. They had to let many staff go but retained some in the hope that they could roll on to PoE should the Kickstarter succeed. Had it failed, the money spent on retaining these people would have been wasted and they would have been let go anyway. Obsidian needed PoE to act as a buffer so they could keep people working until more projects were signed.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed
14. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Syndicate Delayed Aug 27, 2015, 01:34 Jerykk

JoeNapalm wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 17:45:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 17:12:
Since when is "30 FPS" a recommended system requirement? People don't by FPS hardware, they buy video cards...

Huh? Oh. No, I had to read it again, but I don't think that's what it says.

They're saying that the recommended requirements, once finalized, will run the game at 1080p @ 30fps.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

That's the problem. In 2015, recommended PC specs should target 1080p60, not 1080p30. If they're targeting 30, that means they're having trouble getting the game to run at 60. Given the lackluster performance of the previous game, this is not surprising.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
36. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 27, 2015, 01:23 Jerykk

Axis wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 23:50:
Redmask, more posts like your last and you're sure to convince others of your maturity. Nice thin gaming skin son!

Obsidian risked nothing, big AAA company, no kickstarter funding, no game. Larian used their own funds as a last ditch effort to form a new IP, and needed some more kickstarted. The gameplay was quite innovative, unlike anything we've seen in the RPG arena, with plenty of physics based combat to boot. It also included a single player global which I *really* enjoyed till the redmasks of the world ruined it.

My points stand, the comparison was made as an good example. I enjoyed both as I've mentioned before, but D:OS was far better. Larian also did not ride the DLC train, Obsidian is already on to the milking the cows part. Moo.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You act like Obsidian is Activision or something. Newsflash: Obsidian is not rolling in money. Like any other work-for-hire studio, their survival is entirely dependent on each project they sign. With publishers growing increasingly conservative and moving development in-house, signing said projects is only getting harder, which is why Obsidian is working on weird, non-RPG stuff like Armored Warfare. A studio of that size needs to be working on multiple projects at any given time. They have to take whatever they can get. If the PoE kickstarter had failed, Obsidian would have had to let people go.

So yes, Obsidian definitely took a risk with PoE.

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
18. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 23, 2015, 14:48 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 07:16:
It is shallow kiddie garbage material, especially starting with part 2 when they went PotC and introduced Jaffar and the gnomes and Hoh-Ho-Ho Yaaaaarrrrr Mateys El Capitano Steelbeard. Gosh. What a silly stupid game.

You keep referring to the Risen series as "kiddie" because... pirates? How is a fantasy pirate setting any more juvenile than a fantasy medieval setting? You also call them "shallow" which I again assume comes from your disdain for the setting. Mechanically, the Risen series expanded and improved upon Gothic in many ways. The piecemeal equipment system allowed for greater specialization, unlike Gothic's hierarchical armor system where new armor was always completely superior to previous armors. Risen added speech checks too, allowing for more quest solutions and more player agency during dialogue. The Risen series also added an actual companion system. Controls and UI were also greatly improved over the Gothic games. The quest design and writing were about on par with the Gothic games, assuming you don't hold an irrational hatred for pirates.

It seems like most of the hate for the Risen games comes from the setting more than anything else.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2015, 17:47.

12. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 21:08 Jerykk

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 20:58:
At under $10 I would recommend giving it a shot if anyone is into open world RPGs. It would be ideal if you have not played a really good open world RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 recently though because Risen 3 is several leagues below those games.

If you're expecting AAA production values and polish, then yeah, you'll be disappointed. PB's games have always fit firmly within the eurojank category. That doesn't make them bad, though. They carry a distinct personality that games like Skyrim and even Witcher 3 lack. I definitely wouldn't skip the dialogue either, as its awkwardness and silliness is a big part of the game's charm (unlike Skyrim where the dialogue is about as bland and forgettable as possible). Also, how many other games let you turn into a parrot, use your monkey to steal stuff or hunt for suspicious ducks?

On a side note, Skyrim really isn't a good example of an open-world RPG. Most of the quests are pretty terrible (go to random dungeon and kill random enemies), dialogue options are minimal, etc. Like PB's games, exploration is the strongest aspect of the game, except PB's games have much better dialogue, characters and quest design.

8. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 17:32 Jerykk

Game gets a lot of undeserved hate (much like the previous game). Yes, it is the easiest PB game yet but it still has large, detailed and wonderfully hand-crafted environments that are fun to explore. Combat is definitely improved over R2, with magic being greatly expanded and melee slightly less janky. I didn't like some of the character redesigns (Patty looks like a stripper now and Chani was whitewashed) but the game still has the same charm that all of PB's games have.  

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
7. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 22, 2015, 17:26 Jerykk

From what I've seen and read, going 3D was a mistake. Platforming is way easier in 2D, especially with Trine's floaty physics and loose controls.  

News Comments > New TF2 Beta Game Mode
3. Re: New TF2 Beta Game Mode Aug 19, 2015, 12:22 Jerykk

This sounds like Quake Ball, which is fine because Quake Ball was awesome.  

News Comments > Aquanox Deep Descent Kickstarter
10. Re: Aquanox Deep Descent Kickstarter Aug 18, 2015, 12:20 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure this is just to test if there's any interest in a new Aquanox game. Nordic is a publisher. Surely they already have enough money to fund the game's development.  

News Comments > The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released
12. Re: The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released Aug 18, 2015, 03:38 Jerykk

New Game+, Blue. New Game+. The "new" is important because you are essentially starting a new game, only with the character progression from your previous game intact.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
42. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 16:34 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 13:41:
Team Fortress? Red Orchestra? Day of Defeat? Desert Combat? I could go on. I really miss the heyday of FPS modding. Half-Life alone had a lifetime of enjoyable and often ludicrous mods that did far more than simply enhance. To my knowledge Natural Selection was the first FPS/RTS hybrid.

It's pretty clear that established developers and publishers are no longer (if they ever even were) interested in pushing the video game envelope. I can't blame them with the ever-rising cost of development, which has likewise had a seriously negative effect on indie development (unless you're a devoted fan of 2D platformers or voxels). Mod tools and quality, comprehensive engine licensing represent the only real hope for truly innovative (and still modern) game design.

Witcher 3 was a great game, no doubt, but it wasn't without its share of faults, some of which were deeply rooted (like the aforementioned combat). The difference between a game like Skyrim and everything else is that the community was able to take the base game and shore it up enough to stand up to years of replays. On top of that, active modding routinely creates new sales. God knows ARMA would have sold a pitiful fraction of its numbers if DayZ hadn't come around.

I know releasing mod tools costs money, and mod tools may or may not bear fruit, but open world games like Witcher 3 benefit the most from modding, and any chance at evolutionary game design is likely to come from the community. They have to have tools to work with, though.

Except CDPR has released mod tools for W3. Mod tools that allow for scripting modifications. The kind of modifications you'd need to tune combat. In fact, there's already a mod that enhances combat.

33. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 17, 2015, 04:35 Jerykk

InBlack wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 04:09:
A lot of people jumping to defend one side or the other, when it's not really about that. The Witcher3 with it's quite open world could really spawn a massive modding community, depending on the tools that are released.

Some have brought up the lackluster mod scene from W2 as a reason not to really support a W3 mod scene, which is ass-backwards. W3 is a much more capable game and engine and appears to be the most well sold and popular game of the series. It could potentially support a massive mod scene depending on the support of the developers. Especially since Skyrim is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

True, the open-world and mainstream success of W3 do give it stronger modding potential. However, considering how underwhelming the mod community was for W2, I can understand CDPR's hesitation at rolling out the full toolset. It's possible they're simply testing the waters with this initial release and if the mod community starts growing, they'll release more extensive tools.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2015, 04:28 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 19:15:
Wetworks24 wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:42:
Less than 3 months till Fallout 4!

And absolutely nothing of interest in between, as far as I can remember

Mad Max
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Volume
Pillars of Eternity: White March
Metal Gear Solid 5
Act of Aggression
Armikrog
Sword Coast Legends
M&M Heroes 7
Blood Bowl 2
Rainbow Six Siege
Satellite Reign

Plenty of good stuff coming out before FO4.

30. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 17, 2015, 02:15 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:29:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:58:
It's kind of like how DAO had extensive mod tools but nobody really cared, so Bioware didn't bother with DA2 and Inquisition.

Errr, DAO got quite a few mods. Some very good ones too. DAO in no way compares to the lack of Mods for W2.

I was kinda hoping someone would do an overhaul mod for W3 (like oscuro did for Oblivion), as the level of monsters is all over the fucking place. Level 9 monster, level 9 bandit, oh, hi level 24 basilisk.

Level 18 drowners, level 15 wyverns, hey a level 3 bandit camp.

It really makes no sense whatsoever.

DAO's mod community wasn't large enough to justify the effort of releasing extensive mod tools, hence the reason why Bioware didn't do so for the sequels. Same applies to Witcher 2. Witcher 2 had some good mods too but not enough to justify a full REDkit release for Witcher 3.

18. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 16, 2015, 17:21 Jerykk

Dacron wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:58:
PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:19:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/witcher-3-wild-hunt/

Out of stock? huh. On digital goods.

That just means they ran out of keys and need to get more from their suppliers. Nothing weird about that.

15. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 16, 2015, 16:58 Jerykk

They probably didn't bother with the extended mod tools this time because Witcher 2 never really formed a strong mod community. The series has never been as popular amongst modders as Bethesda's games. It's kind of like how DAO had extensive mod tools but nobody really cared, so Bioware didn't bother with DA2 and Inquisition.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Game+ Mode Announced
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Game+ Mode Announced Aug 14, 2015, 22:35 Jerykk

It's "New Game+," not "Game+"  

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
14. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 14, 2015, 04:27 Jerykk

Might actually pick up the season pass (on sale) for this.  

News Comments > The Solus Project Trailer
4. Re: The Solus Project Trailer Aug 14, 2015, 04:25 Jerykk

Really wish developers wouldn't bother with VO if they can't do it right. Bad voice acting and/or writing only hurts your game. I'll take a silent protagonist over that any day.  

14410 Comments. 721 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo