Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Erik

Real Name Erik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Deveus
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 15, 2004, 14:49
Total Comments 5 (Suspect)
User ID 20649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Law & Order: Justice is Served
10. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:40  Deveus 

Oh SNAP Justice! You just got served!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Painkiller Patch
60. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2004, 20:15  Deveus 

anon@24.76:
Or you could stop being an ignorant fuck and just download a no-cd crack, then it would work

Cute. Then download the no-cd crack (which i also suggested earlier). Either resolution allows you to play the game just fine. I'm not the one complaining that it doesn't work for me.

also, about installers telling you to shut down virus scanners and such. Those are just warnings, you can ignore them and the game still installs.

No, they are not just warnings. I've dealt with such conflicts before and I can tell you that these warnings are here for a reason. Just because you haven't had any problems doing so, doesn't mean it works fine for everyone. Certain versions of the Wise and Installshield install programs will hang or not install properly if you are running anti-virus programs. It is a conflict, that is resolved by shutting down the program. This is a fact, and these warnings exist for a reason (not just to take up extra text space in the installer)

Yes, they are - they are deciding for you that you can't run it while you're running the game. I don't care if that's not a big deal to some people, it IS a big deal to me because as soon as developers get their feet in the door with this shit and people come to accept it, it will only get worse. No developer has any business telling me what to run or not run on my computer AT ANY TIME. If it was an accident that this happened I'd be more understanding, but given that it's intentional it's inexcusable

I don't think that they're all out to get you, but whatever. Since you seem unwilling to use any of the methods that will allow you to play your game AND run the software that conflicts your game, I suggest taking the game back to the store and informing them that the software is incompatible with your machine.

I wish you good luck in uncovering this conspiracy by game developers to tell you what to do. I will be off playing the multitude of games that are copy protected by SafeDisk and having a wonderful time doing so.

52. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2004, 16:08  Deveus 

You are allowed to run any software you want. They are telling you that the game will not run when you are running a certain piece of software AT THE SAME TIME as the game. This is not uncommon.

Frequently with PC games, there is in fact software that you must shut off because it causes problems with the game. For example, some installers will tell you to turn off Norton Anti-Virus during the install process. You can CHOOSE not to, but it may cause problems with the install. you are not forced to never use Norton Anti-Virus ever ever again, you are just asked to disable for a period of time. When you are done, you re-enable it. Noone mentions this on the box.

Keep the software YOU have on YOUR machine. Noone is telling you that you can't have it and noone is deciding for you that you can't run it. They just want you to TURN IT OFF while you run the game.

Do i think that copy protection software is doing it's job in preventing piracy? Of course not and anyone with half a brain sees that.

Are CD keys an effective deterrent to piracy? Yes, of course they are, but this won't work for single player games (unless you require an internet connection, which unfortunately will eliminate some of your user base).

Bottom line, there is conflict between SafeDisk and Virtual Drive programs. When a Virtual Drive program is running, SafeDisk is unable to determine that the CD is actually in the drive. This is conflict caused by a limitation of the Copy Protection software. You can solve the conflict by turning off one of the programs that is causing the conflict. You're not actively using the Virtual Drive software while you run the game, so the choice should be easy.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 16:10.

47. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2004, 11:46  Deveus 

I'm not so sure that they knew about it ahead of time (or at least in time to put it on the box or inside the box). There's never been an outrage of customers so livid over SafeDisk before, so how were they to know that the exact same software used on so many other games would suddenly piss off everyone?

Does anyone else who uses SafeDisk put that information on the box or inside the box? I've never seen it before.

I'm not saying they told people up front. I'm saying that they told people publicly when they started getting complaints (rather than having a CS department deal with it quietly like every other publisher does).

43. No subject Apr 15, 2004, 11:06  Deveus 

Jesus guys, you act like this is the first time that SafeDisc has ever been used. It's not like SafeDisc is something new and it's not like this is the only game where you are required to turn off Virtual Drive programs to play the game. Anything using SafeDisc 3.15 or higher will make you do this.

Get a hold of yourselves people.

You bought the game and don't want to disable anything, get the crack. It's not like it's the first time you've done it (say it is, everyone knows it isn't). Hell, the first thing I did after I bought UT2K4 was download the no-CD crack. Not because it interfered with my Alcohol program, but because requiring the CD in the drive is annoying.

Every SafeDisc game has these problems. The only difference is that DreamCatcher told you up front, rather than letting their CS department discreetly handle it. I bet they thought they were doing the right thing, but whoa did it backfire. You guys have made it very clear that telling the customer anything about drive compatibility or software conflicts is a huge mistake. Way to go, you won't be hearing about issues like this again, i guarantee it. I'll say it again, in case you missed it. Every SafeDisc game has these issues. The only difference is that DreamCatcher TOLD you about them.

Like it or not, Copy Protection is here to stay guys. You can whine at DreamCatcher all you want, but it's not going anywhere. Just download the crack like everyone else and get over yourself.

It's just a game. Play it.
I am. I'm having fun. Are you?

-d

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 12:13.

5 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo