Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric

Real Name Eric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AirWreck
Email bosley.33@osu.edu
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 13, 2004, 23:30
Total Comments 59 (Suspect)
User ID 20633

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses
23. Re: Blizzard Investigating Diablo III HC Character Losses Mar 19, 2014, 13:20 AirWreck

Please know that the decision to allow such an exception is not an easy one to make

That seems a little off? I don't care how hard it is for them to make it, it's their responsibility to take care of issues like this. Even if someone lost a single item in their stash that they haven't used recently. Use some of that prevented piracy money to pay for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
104. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 00:21 AirWreck

Axis wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 23:21:

No, it was very well received. There will always be pockets of noisy angry people who make waves because they can.

Thief 3 improved upon the original formula in all ways without eviscerating what made the originals compelling, and that sentiment was by far the largest piece of the opinionated pie at the time.

I had some fun with Thief 3, but didn't like it nearly as well as the first two.

On the plus side, the story being focused on the Keepers made sense and the ending (with the closing of the circle) was a nice touch. I also enjoyed using the new wall-hug mechanic.

But: The controls were awkward because of the third person support (getting stuck, difficulty collecting valuables in chests, missed "easy" jumps making noise), the hud was gimmicky and too big, and the tiny sub-level portions were a definite console limitation. Even the full levels were pretty small compared to the originals. The hag's story was similar to the Trickster's and lost some impact. The balance of the game with being able to collect items repeatedly in the city lessened the import of stealing (along with quickly collecting more money than you could ever spend, unless you were going on a non-dagger killing spree).

Pretty average.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
13. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 21, 2014, 18:59 AirWreck

Seems legit. Emulated or not if they were going to go with tool-assisted they wouldn't have died on the jump in 8-1...unless it was on purpose to make it more believable?!  

News Comments > Free Thief Gold With Thief Mod Contest Entries
17. Re: Free Thief Gold With Thief Mod Contest Entries Feb 21, 2014, 10:30 AirWreck

I think Task had linked this last:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

TFix, Sound Effects, EP2, HDMod are a solid group (links found above under "INSTALLING ADDITIONAL MODS").

Do follow the directions, like installing with steam disabled and updates disabled for the game. Pay attention to the mod installers that they don't create a sub-directory on you that you don't want. I recall pointing one to my steam install, then it tacked on "/ThiefGold" or something that would goof it up. I made an explicit shortcut to the fixed exe rather than go through steam -- it doesn't require steam to be active to play.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
122. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 5, 2014, 14:45 AirWreck

Whoa! SMA just out-debated Jerykk and Beamer in the same thread. That's got to be worth 1000 BN xp points.

I was a doubter, but am now convinced this has potential (thanks Jerykk for the useful links). Pre-ordered with a gmg deal. Gameplay looks solid with lots of options. Only concern is the overall feel of it, Thief 1&2 have an unmatched aural experience, and I really like the style of the old cut-scenes/briefings. Going to miss Russell, he was also the voice of the dumb guard (Benny).

This game doesn't have to do a lot to be better than Deadly Shadows (playing now for the first time), the gameplay in that one with both jumping and getting things you want to frob to highlight is very awkward. And all the levels are small (and I don't mean the really tiny sub-divisions). They feel comparable to Bafford's at best in size.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 20, 2014, 10:43 AirWreck

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on this site; Nidhogg is a really good game that came out on steam last week. Fast-paced easy-to-pick-up fighting game/tug-of-war. Check out some reviews, watch some gameplay.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/nidhogg-review/

PC Gaming > Emulators
1. Emulators Mar 26, 2011, 12:42 AirWreck

Maybe this belongs under consoles... I just wanted to see what emulators people use on blues. Here are some I've liked:

PS1: espxe (a bit of a pain to set up)
SNES: zsnes
N64: mupen64plus (really impressed with how well this works)
NES: ubernes (This has a lot of unique online features: high score tracking, speed run tracking, and movie recording. There's also a screen-saver that uses those movies to show a movie wall of several games being emulated simultaneously.)

I've also used Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, MAME, and Genesis emulators, but I mostly come back to NES and SNES when I hanker for some older console gaming.

So any emulator recommendations? Or great older console games worth checking out that may have been missed?

General Discussion > Game of the Year 2010
5. No subject Dec 8, 2010, 14:10 AirWreck

I had that exact experince with ME2. I had fun and yet felt it was subpar with the planet scanning and the level design where you could tell when you'd be encountering combat by whether there was cover ahead.  

General Discussion > Game of the Year 2010
4. Re: Game of the Year 2010 Dec 8, 2010, 13:59 AirWreck

Favorite game: Minecraft. Yeah I burnt out of this after a couple weeks, but it was novel, and originality is something I've felt has been lacking lately. Also the price was right.

Runner up: Red Dead Redemption. Maybe it was because I had to travel to New Mexico for work this summer and got to see some of the same environs as depicted in this game. My favorite take on the sandbox genre since GTA: Vice City.

Worst game: Gotta agree with Verno on Crackdown 2. I was pretty excited after the first to see what could be done with a sequel and thought it could be Assassin's Creed 2'd...nope.

Almost worst game: Civilization V. This is probably being unfair, but after the initial fun I had with the new 1 unit per tile hex combat, there was nothing to keep me interested in playing. Bad AI, bad balancing of city-states, etc. I expect to get more out of this in the future.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: 2010 Tied with 1998 as Warmest Global Temperature on Record. Oct 20, 2010, 14:29 AirWreck

Sencho wrote on Oct 20, 2010, 12:44:

And yet there is as much science in Mag's comment as in NOAA's BS position about world temperatures. I'm not sure when NOAA fell to politicization but it's completely gone as a research body.

In what way have they fallen to politicization? Is there a scientific body whose research on climate you trust?

News Comments > Thief Source Code Recovered?
13. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 01:35 AirWreck

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#install -- covers most of the issues you might run into. A significant number of hoops, but worth it.  

News Comments > Thief Source Code Recovered?
10. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 17, 2010, 00:32 AirWreck

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ for individual missions, also http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/komagdvds.htm if you just want to grab almost everything.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2010, 16:02 AirWreck

You should have had the cellular peptide cake, with mint frosting, instead.  

News Comments > The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com
6. Re: The Temple of Elemental Evil on GOG.com Oct 13, 2010, 22:25 AirWreck

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 22:06:
Wasn't this one extremely buggy on release?

Very buggy. Troika's trademark. Kudos to Co8 for saving it from itself with custom patches. It had a very accurate (for a CRPG) implementation of the 3.5 edition combat rules. It was nice to see that in a D&D game after all the real-time hybridization Bioware/Black Isle had done with their D&D lineup.

Gog is really getting some gems in its lineup. Maybe the gold box games too?

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Plans
6. Re: Civilization V Patch Plans Oct 13, 2010, 14:30 AirWreck

Speaking of city-states, I don't see mention of tweaking their bonuses. The maritime ones can basically take care of your entire empire's food needs while military ones don't provide free units very often.  

News Comments > DOTA 2 Announced
9. Re: DOTA 2 Announced Oct 13, 2010, 14:27 AirWreck

I thought the maps changed over time with new versions, but a given version had a fixed map.  

General Discussion > Minecraft ....
17. New Rule! Oct 13, 2010, 03:06 AirWreck

2. Don't dig sand from underneath it. I thought I was right below the surface! Glad I did not have diamonds on me.

News Comments > Gearbox to Valve & MS: "Play Nice"
70. Re: Gearbox to Valve & MS: Oct 12, 2010, 14:02 AirWreck

noman wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 01:18:
And by the way, of course I meant that I'll delete the game from my hard-disk if I end up selling it. It's the same as selling regular boxed games, and I thought it was obvious enough to be not worth mentioning.

It will always be available to you on your gog account however (depending on whatever stunts they are running). You might want to play the game you sold at a future time. How would you go about getting it again?

News Comments > Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M
22. Re: Pitchford: DNF Cost Broussard $20-30M Oct 7, 2010, 13:59 AirWreck

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:14:
GRRM fans will know what I'm talking about there

Thanks for reminding me. Winter is coming damn it! Robert Jordan fans really know what that's like.

News Comments > Civilization V Mod Tools
13. Re: Civilization V Mod Tools Sep 30, 2010, 14:25 AirWreck

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 12:12:
Given the type of logic being done at turn end, it seems like it would be highly sequential rather than the type of thing that can be done in parallel. I'm not sure how they handle the turns for the AI civs, but it seems like they must also go in turns rather than simultaneously, so each civ's actions could easily depend on the actions of the previous civ.

One thing they could (and even might) do is have the AI start planning its move as if the player is always about to end their turn. There would be a lot of work wasted as the player continues their turn, but as long as you limited how much processing you allowed the background AI, it seems like a simple optimization. I know that during my turn and the AIs', no one core gets up to 100%.

59 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo