Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3348 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:26 Mr. Tact

A boiler? Man, you guys in the Northeast -- it's not using heating oil too is it? I call it a furnace, don't really recall it being called anything else. Replaced mine in Oct. 2011, previous unit was (IIRC) 16 years old at time of replacement, went with the 95% efficiency model.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 23, 2013, 07:57 Mr. Tact

Tumbler wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:05:
Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.
I've read Dune many times. The first 4 or 5 times I kept catching new stuff.

I'd definitely agree the second and third books in the original Dune trilogy are average. I thought the 4th was better, but still not as good as the first. I felt the fifth and sixth were much better, close to the original. I've also read the prequels written by his son and what would be the 7th and 8th novels. I know the 7th and 8th are based on an outline by Frank, not sure how fleshed out that outline was. The prequels about the families (House Atreides, etc..) where meh. However the others however, The Butlerian Jihad; The Machine Crusade; The Battle of Corrin were enjoyable and I thought he did a very good job of "setting up" Dune. I haven't read the Heroes of Dune series.

Pandora's Star is on my list at Amazon now. I'll see when I can get to it. After hearing about the expansive universe he creates, I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against Banks' Culture universe which for me currently holds the title of "fictional place I'd most like to live".

Edit: On the off chance this inspires someone to tackle the prequels or the 7th and 8th novels. I'd suggest reading the three non-family prequels (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin) and then read 7th and 8th which are Hunters of Dune; Sandworms of Dune.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2013, 08:56.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Ratty wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:57:
Their walled garden approach to these is OK with me but I'd never get an IPad.
Their walled garden approach is the only reason they were able to make the products they did. Having control of both the hardware and the software was very key in both the iPod and iPhone products.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 12:23 Mr. Tact

Yes, even some smart people watch dumb shows sometimes. A friend admitted to me the other day he got hooked for a time on "Storage Wars". Personally, I was almost ashamed to admit I knew what the show was.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:09 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:47:
If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.
A bold claim. I currently give that title to Dune for a single novel. Is there any advantage to reading Misspent Youth first?

News Comments > NY Times on 38 Studios
16. Re: NY Times on 38 Studios Apr 22, 2013, 11:18 Mr. Tact

Embarrassment is a lot easier to live with when you are busy counting the millions you have made. I wish I had problems like that.  

14. Re: NY Times on 38 Studios Apr 22, 2013, 11:11 Mr. Tact

Amazingly, I'm guessing the Yankees still made plenty of money last year.  

7. Re: NY Times on 38 Studios Apr 22, 2013, 10:36 Mr. Tact

Actually, the sports athletes and Hollywood stars making millions makes more sense. Many (most?) go to sporting events and movies because of those people. There isn't a single product I've bought because of a CEO.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 10:33 Mr. Tact

While I agree it is a silly commercial it did what it was supposed to, put the product into your head.  

News Comments > Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill
2. Re: Virtuix Omni - VR Treadmill Apr 22, 2013, 10:31 Mr. Tact

Immersion. It's simply an extension of the same idea behind Oculus Rift. Clearly not for everyone, but I understand the appeal.  

5. Re: NY Times on 38 Studios Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 Mr. Tact

Well, I'd agree with Cutter on that, a lot of CEO's pay is ridiculously high. The kind of CEO like Steve Jobs is the exception. Most of the time CEOs are simply management wonks who "run a company" no better than I could.

My comment was more of a comment that if you spend most of your life concentrating on one thing, odds are you aren't great at any other.

3. Re: NY Times on 38 Studios Apr 22, 2013, 10:14 Mr. Tact

Shocking eh? Someone who spent their entire life playing baseball not being a good businessman / CEO. Certainly it's possible he could have done both well, but not surprising in any way that he couldn't.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 09:42 Mr. Tact

I'm surprised the "Nielsen ratings" have survived as long as they have. I've always assumed the only reason they did was because it was used as a basis for charging rates for commercial time during various shows. Which seemed crazy to me, but whatever...  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 09:14 Mr. Tact

My gift to the Earth -- I cut the lawn yesterday..  

News Comments > Curiosity Adds Adding
13. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I hope he makes millions. Proving people are as stupid as I think they are.  

News Comments > Binding of Isaac Sells 2 Million
15. Re: Binding of Isaac Sells 2 Million Apr 22, 2013, 08:59 Mr. Tact

I dismissed this with barely a glance when it was released. Looking again it appears to have a greater potential than I thought. The price is certainly right, might have to try and find some time for it...  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 08:04 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 07:14:
That's a sore point. I've had DirecTV for over 12 years, and my loyalty is rewarded by them only offering their cool new DVRs to new customers. Grrr.
Based on what I've read in this DirecTV forum (which I frequent) I would advise:

1) Keeping trying. One representative might turn you down, the next may give the thumbs up. There seems to be a quota system for reps. giving out discounts -- ie.. they can only give out so many per week/month.

2) Mention you are considering swapping to Dish to get the Hopper. Ask to speak with the retention group.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 08:23.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 18:58 Mr. Tact

Yeah, CBS Sunday night is the most consistent reoccurring scheduling issue for years now. Always wondered how much that impacted the ratings for those shows.  

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 17:45 Mr. Tact

Hell, even as someone who's owned a computer since 1991 and made a living on them since 1988 I barely keep up. Just now my home PC booted (Win7 Pro) and I immediately noticed not all my normal start-up applications launched. After looking around some and attempting a couple of things I decided to just reboot -- on the shutdown windows couldn't shutdown explorer.exe -- OY. Fortunately, it seems to have rebooted normally, but I have absolutely no idea what happened.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 13:03 Mr. Tact

The US isn't the only place that's hard to legally. permanently, immigrate to. Specifically I know it's tough to get into Australia, and I seem to remember some EU countries are pretty tough too, but don't recall specifics at the moment.  

3348 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo