Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3525 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 14, 2013, 08:07 Mr. Tact

robdot wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 01:13:
The patriot act and the nsa were formed under bush. The idea that the nsa has been collecting this data has been known for many years.
Er.. The NSA was "officially" formed in 1952.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2013, 14:59 Mr. Tact

I'd assume he/they mean:

E = mc**2

where m = 1600 pounds of matter

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2013, 11:59 Mr. Tact

I'll take it anyway we can get it. If I had one wish I would be severely tempted to use it to discover practical interstellar travel.  

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2013, 08:31 Mr. Tact

I'm not sure referencing cosmic inflation is good evidence that FTL travel is possible. Under that theory the rapid (FTL) expansion of the universe happened prior to the fundamental forces separating. Even if the theory is right, we don't live in those conditions any longer.

As for why any intelligent species would want interstellar travel prior to using all the resources up in their solar system. It seems a basic assumption would be if they are interested in continuing their survival, eventually they'll have to be in another solar system. Sure, the death of stars is a long process, we have probably another billion years or so before ours grows hot enough to cause major problems. But it will happen.

The Fermi paradox is an interesting idea. And I believe if ever humans get fast and easy interstellar travel, we will expand as far and wide in the galaxy as is possible. And in less than tens of millions of years, we will effectively be "all over the galaxy." But other beings might not be as curious, or as willing to continually increase their population. It is simply unknowable currently.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
41. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 17:20 Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:26:
Well, I was assuming it would be in every game, making no difference. :D

37. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 14:26 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 14:22:
Why is there any difference between them doing it in a game or on the OS? There is no reason for either

I think there's a big difference, one is forced on you in every game without any choice on your part. The other is a choice you get to make in purchasing individual games. Huge difference.
Well, I was assuming it would be in every game, making no difference.
They aren't interested in getting respect from you. They are interested in DRM, an annual $60 subscription fee, and micro transactions.

Well in my case they can't get one without the other
Unfortunately for us, there are plenty of others willing to part with their cash much more easily.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
28. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 12, 2013, 14:19 Mr. Tact

Alamar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 13:23:
But what if the expansion sells a crap-ton? Can we really still use the same excuse that people are buying it 'blind' based on D2?
There is no "if" about it. It will sell millions of copies. Apparently, for reasons not known to me, the masses are much less discriminating than we are.

35. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 14:14 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 13:14:
In the case of the cell phone, the cell tower is required for functionality. In the case of XBone, is the internet required for functionality? While we might disagree Microsoft is saying, "Yes, internet connectivity is required for functionality."

*shrug*
I get what you mean but this is flawed logic. Let's say you buy Metal Gear Whatever on both consoles and you disconnect your internet. One system boots you out of the game if you can't reauth, the other does not. They are functionally identical in every respect except one has arbitrary DRM that serves no purpose for the consumer, the other does not.
My logic isn't flawed, Microsoft's approach is. You are preaching to the choir. Yeah, it is stupid. So is the on-line requirement for D3.
*shrug* What is a sane person supposed to do?
People forget that it's a gaming console, not a telephone. If games want to require internet for functionality inside of them fair enough but implementing it in the OS for no reason isn't the same thing. They aren't really doing anyone any favors by being upfront by the way, it would be a huge legal matter if they lied about this stuff or were deceptive about it.
Why is there any difference between them doing it in a game or on the OS? There is no reason for either.
I would respect them more if they said "ok you the customer spoke and we listened, here is our compromise" instead of "go buy a 360". I don't give them a pass for being upfront when their message and design is still retarded.
They aren't interested in getting respect from you. They are interested in DRM, an annual $60 subscription fee, and micro transactions.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
191. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 09:32 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 09:03:
JETS woo!

Just End The Season!

25. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 07:22:
It's a dumb analogy either way, their DRM and connection check are totally separate from the act of playing videogames. They didn't 'build an online machine', they built a machine and then purposely inserted some DRM.
As Bats said, I am not defending their actions. That said, it may not be a great analogy but it seems pretty reasonable to me. They are telling you upfront, internet connectivity is required for this product. Which is pretty analogous to a telco saying, we'll sell you this phone, but it only works where there are cell towers.

In the case of the cell phone, the cell tower is required for functionality. In the case of XBone, is the internet required for functionality? While we might disagree Microsoft is saying, "Yes, internet connectivity is required for functionality."

*shrug*

Now is their position more a result of "We want to build social functions into everything, and don't want to have to worry about coding for situations where people are not connected the internet." or, "We need to have DRM on our games." Until some Microsoft employee leaks internal documents, we will never know.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
19. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 12, 2013, 08:51 Mr. Tact

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 06:37:
Blizzard can take their sweet time, not many people really want this.
It will sell millions of copies.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 11, 2013, 14:44 Mr. Tact

It seemed to have a bit too much of the P2W flavor to me. But I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be a great game.  

78. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 14:28 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:21:
A good Final Fantasy game

I see what the problem is.
I didn't say it was a good game, only that a good one would be a big draw for me. But effectively, you are correct. I don't really hold much hope it will turn out to be a good game, unfortunately.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 14:23 Mr. Tact

ItBurn wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 13:50:
I feel that TED promises knowledge, science and stuff, but delivers fluff entertainment instead and that pisses me off a lot.
Well, there's the problem. I've never expected to learn anything of significance from a TED talk and reality has in this case met my expectations most of the time.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 13:42 Mr. Tact

It wasn't my intent to imply the TED talk was educational or informative. I said, and thought, it was "worth sharing", apparently you disagree. I was pretty amused by it, as were the two people I shared it with directly. Oh well, different strokes and all that...  

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:21 Mr. Tact

A good Final Fantasy game would almost be enough to prompt me to purchase my first console since SNES.... I'll be watching.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 12:16 Mr. Tact

Off-topic, but worth sharing -- a TED talk on work happiness.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 14:38 Mr. Tact

I won't say he's being paranoid, because I'm sure multiple agencies would like him to be in custody. But not leaving the hotel room isn't any kind of protection. If "they" wanted him, I'm sure they could arrange to simply drug some of his room service and then walk in and take him out without much hassle.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 9, 2013, 18:50 Mr. Tact

In a similar vein, I'd love to know about the architecture of WoW. Would definitely be interesting to know the details...  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
31. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 18:46 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 14:33:
Have you ever met someone that does this, or seen a job posting about it, or tried to think about what the job posting would look like, what the daily responsibilities would be, and how it would be kept quiet?
No, but I've certainly witnessed customer complaints being removed and high level executives being involved in "language" which while possibly not directly a lie, certainly a concealment of the truth. The only consideration is money. Everything else is secondary.

3525 Comments. 177 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo