Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3348 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:25 Mr. Tact

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 18:05:
Most common cases of cancer are for the most part, a man-made disease. It's a side-effect from something unnatural. Anyone with common sense knows that by now.
I think you are confusing man-caused activities which increase the chances of getting cancer with the cause of cancer. For instance, smoking tobacco increasing the chances of contracting lung cancer. Cancer is a normal biological process gone bad. While self initiated activities can increase the chances of cells doing this, cancer is not dependent on them. People who never smoked might get lung cancer. And someone who smokes 3 packs a day may live to 80 without ever getting lung cancer. However, over large populations, smokers will get lung cancer more often.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:11 Mr. Tact

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:28:
As I'm a scientist and can see 15+ years after the fact now, I can tell you it's pretty obvious.
Uh, I hope your work as a scientist is a bit more rigorous. There is anecdotal evidence pointing at lots of things, it doesn't make it so.

As for the comparison of legalizing pot to the alcohol's return after prohibition, that is certainly the best case scenario. Is it an accurate prediction? I wouldn't bet my home on it.

I agree, nin. As I understand it, vaccination leading to autism has been debunked.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 10:50 Mr. Tact

Pot legalization seems like a good idea, but I have to admit it sounds a little too good to be true. While I have no concrete evidence or even logical speculation, my gut tells me the legalization of pot has an equal chance of being great or leading to terribly bad, unforeseen problems. Maybe it's because in this area I'm as straight laced as they come, having never tried anything. My drugs of choice have been alcohol and caffeine. I just hope people smarter than me think it through carefully...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 12:50 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:18:
I didn't even realize they sold their building. Ouch. Never a good sign when a company starts selling off infrastructure...
While possibly true here, this kind of sale doesn't necessarily indicate fiscal problems. It's that "funny" business accounting again. A couple of years ago our company sold the building our Phoenix office was working in and relocated them to a facility which we lease. The company didn't want "all that capital" of the facility just sitting there, they want it out earning money.

This is the same reasoning that causes even huge corporations like GE to borrow money for "normal" expenses like payroll. It costs them less money to borrow it and pay 2% on the money, while that cash is out earning a lot more than 2% somewhere else. It seems a bit crazy, but it's a fairly common practice.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 29, 2013, 10:42 Mr. Tact

Yeah, good luck on that Canada (or any others who care to try). I'm thinking 95% or better or the people will not be paying taxes on any barters. Now, when it's converted to national currency in a bank -- yeah, that they'll be able to get their hands on.  

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Announced
29. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 17:31 Mr. Tact

Spent the money on developing other games? I had the same question when they began the Kickstarter. It has been four years. *shrug*  

26. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 13:14 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:01:
but they set the funding goal at 250K for just an expansion to the original.
They did and it is out.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 13:13 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:07:
so he was walking around with his junk dangling out in front of his sister? that musta been awkward. the *puts sunglasses on* elephant in the room, you might say.
I assume he was down to his underwear...

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2013, 14:27.

21. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 10:12 Mr. Tact

Oh and extra points for them having a good sense of humor:

Wait! I thought we didnít raise enough Kickstarter money to make DG2. What happened?

You happened. The support and enthusiasm of the DG community got the attention of an investor who made up the funding gap. Now weíve got enough money to make DG2.

Who is this awesome investor?

Itís a secret for now. Weíll tell that story a bit later.

Whoa. Is it Batman?

No. It isnít Batman.

Is itÖ?

Itís not Bruce Wayne, either. Or Tony Stark.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 10:01 Mr. Tact

Nice little story about the tourists surviving 14 hours in the ocean. Especially the quote from the brother -- "Dan Suski had gotten rid of his shorts, having recalled a saying when he was a kid that 'the best-dressed corpses wear cotton.'"

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2013, 10:08.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2013, 09:45 Mr. Tact

So, Bush was the equivalent of someone you consider to be a narcissistic community organizer with delusions of grandeur? Good to know.  

News Comments > EA Cuts Staff
36. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 26, 2013, 09:41 Mr. Tact

Well, I haven't bought any EA games in a while, but not specifically because of Origin. Although, it is a negative in the consideration process. I wanted SimCity to be good despite the online stupidity. It wasn't, and I haven't purchased it.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 08:36 Mr. Tact

Nice post, JD.

Bats, I agree with you on the problems with too many administrators in the system. But saying we need to end public education is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Yeah, there are problems but switching to an all private education system will only mean different problems.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 08:15 Mr. Tact

Have the team owners do events like they have players do during the combine to determine the draft order and I might watch.  

16. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 08:08 Mr. Tact

The original was great, played the hell out of it. Never even thought about multiplayer. Barring an avalanche of criticism over poor single player game play prior to launch, this will be a day one purchase.  

News Comments > EA Cuts Staff
19. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:30 Mr. Tact

Slick wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 18:05:
if anyone can explain that to me, you'll have my attention, but until that's settled, you can't take all the hate seriously. seriously!
Easy. A & B had no direct impact on me. Well, I guess my 401k got hammered, but it's all back now so it was just a "buying" opportunity when the market was down.

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Patches Apr 25, 2013, 17:37 Mr. Tact

Ha! Not a game mode they had planned I bet.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2013, 17:32 Mr. Tact

I wore a HS ring and then a college one for a while. And a necklace or two, but the only jewelry I've worn in the last two decades is a watch. Not sure those things are comparable to a tattoo. Earrings, you can wear them without getting pierced, but it is less common. I have seem them contribute nicely to a woman's wardrobe but I'm fine with them having "naked" ears.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2013, 11:00 Mr. Tact

I have to say Verno, my reaction is comparable -- despite having been in the same fantasy football league since 1996.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2013, 10:56 Mr. Tact

I've watched Stossel on and off for years too. Sometimes he is insightful, and sometimes he seems to acting with "willful blindness".  

3348 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo