Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3353 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 15:52 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:46:
Geodisic domes do, that's why I pointed it out yesterday. They survive hurricanes too.
You'd have to mandate all structures be that way, because the geodesic domes would not stand up to 200+ mph debris. Not to mention clearing all the trees, bushes, mailboxes, etc...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2013, 15:48 Mr. Tact

If ever someone got upset by my pronouncing it one way or the other, it would definitely cement my resolve to continue pronouncing it in whichever way it would annoy them.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 15:45 Mr. Tact

Yeah -- I indicate that applied less to Apple than other companies...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 14:24 Mr. Tact

Uh, they have never built them to withstand an EF5 tornado...  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 14:22 Mr. Tact

Draugr wrote on May 22, 2013, 14:11:
Also your argument seems to imply that the company selling you something is already giving you the best deal they *possibly* could, and the only way to compensate would be increase the cost of products sold, when we know this isn't the case.
I'm making an assumption of competitive pricing. ie.. more than one company is making the same product and they are competing, not colluding to fix prices. Possibly an over optimistic assumption, but certainly not outside the box. There are lots of reasons the cost of a 40" plasma TV is significantly less than it used to be -- but one of the contributing factors is competition between the various producers.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 13:02 Mr. Tact

Well, after looking around some more, you might be right about Apple's spin, Cutter. The $6B number is from Apple, and their claim is pretty vague. Are they counting their share of payroll taxes? Are they counting sales taxes they collected for the government in Apple stores? They don't specify the number as being "income" taxes. Still, if they aren't straight up lying about being the largest corporate payer, then the point might be moot.

However, on the second point, I don't think the general idea is absurd. While Apple might be less susceptible to competitive pricing due to the fan-boy nature of their customers. In general, you'd have to agree that when running a business you'd need to calculate the cost of your taxes into your business plan. And it only makes sense that if your taxes are lower, your prices can be lower. And the only money which comes into the company is coming from the customers. Hence it makes sense to say, the customers are paying the company's taxes.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 10:43 Mr. Tact

Hey, don't ruin my fun!  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2013, 10:40 Mr. Tact

Apparently Anthony has some balls to go with his weiner for being willing to put up with the NY media for what is sure to be a very rough ride.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 10:37 Mr. Tact

Yep, sure looks like it will really blow chunks. I predict it will sell millions of copies anyway.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 10:31 Mr. Tact

Julio wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:33:
Buying Apple means paying more in taxes, because Apple won't contribute their fair share.
I hope you were being sarcastic. While I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that "most companies don't pay enough taxes", to say Apple isn't paying their fair share when they are the single largest corporate tax payer, seems disingenuous.

And as much as I hate to admit it, my conservative friends are probably right. Effectively, no corporation ever really pays taxes. Even if you made corporate tax a simple, flat percentage of revenue, with no deductions or exemptions, they aren't paying it. Their customers are paying it. When Apple says they paid $6B in corporate taxes, where do you think the money came from? Collected from a corporate money-tree farm? No, it was all those people buying iPhones and iPods who paid it.

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
21. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 15:34 Mr. Tact

There's nothing here that even tweaked my interest. Which frankly, isn't particularly surprising, but I thought it might. Oh well, total pass for me.  

40. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 13:30 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on May 21, 2013, 13:02:
Nah, that won't happen anymore. 1957 was a long time ago, and since then there have been so many improvements
I'm sure there have been. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm not even saying I expect to see it happen in my lifetime. However, I also don't expect to have my house destroyed by a tornado in my lifetime.

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 12:42 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on May 21, 2013, 12:36:
If you want to live somewhere where there is really no bad weather, move to Holland.
Just perpetually worry about waking up with 4 ft of ocean next to your home...

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 12:52.

News Comments > Neverwinter Exploit Fixed; Diablo III Exploit Revisited
5. Re: Neverwinter Exploit Fixed; Diablo III Exploit Revisited May 21, 2013, 11:00 Mr. Tact

It's weird because I can't imagine the argument Blizzard would make to justify it without looking like complete idiots and/or greedy bastards. But then, maybe they didn't care... *sigh*  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 10:56 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on May 21, 2013, 10:43:
I don't see why people choose to live in places with such horrible weather.
Says the guy living in earthquake country.

InBlack wrote on May 21, 2013, 10:36:
I understand that wood housing is much cheaper/simpler than a brick and mortar or a concrete home, but wouldnt those make much more sense in the particular states being hit by tornadoes year after year?
A standard brick home isn't going to stand up against a F4 or F5 tornado any better than a wood home. Building a house to withstand those forces is cost prohibitive. Especially considering the odds. I've lived in the Midwest since 1972 (minus a couple of years while in the USAF), including a 5-6 years in Kansas and Oklahoma and I have never known anyone who lost their home to a tornado.

The proper thing to do in these areas is build a tornado "safe room" or underground shelter where you can wait out storms.

5. Re: ST:ID spoiler FAQ May 21, 2013, 10:03 Mr. Tact

Yeah. I do my best to suspend my disbelief system and just enjoy the movie but....

Khan being white instead of Asian I could live with, stupid but whatever. But how Weller's character could think anyone would buy the need to fire 72 enhanced torpedoes to kill one guy, that made me gag.

There are so many things they could have done with a rebooted Khan story-line. This one fails miserably.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 09:33 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:05:
That brings up a good point - how much time has passed between the two movies? I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere...
Yeah, it isn't made clear. The movie starts out with the Enterprise out on a mission. But no indication (that I noticed anyway) is given of how long or how many missions have been done since the end of the first film.

News Comments > Neverwinter Exploit Fixed; Diablo III Exploit Revisited
3. Re: Neverwinter Exploit Fixed; Diablo III Exploit Revisited May 21, 2013, 09:30 Mr. Tact

because Blizzard was maintaining an artificial floor in selling gold for cash of $0.25 per million,

The price you could put on gold in the RMAH was restricted so that you couldn't sell it for less than $.25 per million? Weird.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 07:42 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2013, 15:20:
You should move to Southern California. I've lived in other places all over the world. Most places are climatic prisons either partially or all of the time.
No thanks, I prefer seasons. Walking outside to pickup the mail in shorts and a t-shirt on Christmas just doesn't feel right. Besides I like the way a 50 degree day feels warm in March.

And that's not even considering the earthquakes. I'll take my midwest tornado risk over hurricanes and earthquakes any day of the week.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:31 Mr. Tact

Agreed, ST:ID was the better film. I was a bit surprised it didn't break the $100m mark. It was the only big budget film coming out, not sure I understand why IM3 would do so much better.  

3353 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo