Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3348 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 14:38 Mr. Tact

I won't say he's being paranoid, because I'm sure multiple agencies would like him to be in custody. But not leaving the hotel room isn't any kind of protection. If "they" wanted him, I'm sure they could arrange to simply drug some of his room service and then walk in and take him out without much hassle.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 9, 2013, 18:50 Mr. Tact

In a similar vein, I'd love to know about the architecture of WoW. Would definitely be interesting to know the details...  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
31. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 18:46 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 14:33:
Have you ever met someone that does this, or seen a job posting about it, or tried to think about what the job posting would look like, what the daily responsibilities would be, and how it would be kept quiet?
No, but I've certainly witnessed customer complaints being removed and high level executives being involved in "language" which while possibly not directly a lie, certainly a concealment of the truth. The only consideration is money. Everything else is secondary.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2013, 18:37 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2013, 16:23:
I've never heard of him I'll have to try and give him a read at some point.
We've discussed him here a couple of times, his sci-fi "Culture" novels are excellent. And as I've said before, they represent the fictional universe I would most like to live in.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 9, 2013, 12:04 Mr. Tact

I'd be a lot more interested to hear about the software and equipment used in the PRISM program, than the argument over the "correctness" of the collection itself. The fact they are doing it is no surprise to me, and not particularly intriguing. Knowing about IT side of the process would awesome.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
26. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 10:59 Mr. Tact

I'm sorry, is someone surprised by these allegations? I just assumed everyone realized this was being done on a regular basis by many companies.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2013, 11:19.

News Comments > SimCity OS X Delayed, Patch Plans Detailed
4. Re: SimCity OS X Delayed, Patch Plans Detailed Jun 7, 2013, 09:40 Mr. Tact

It will be interesting to see how many copies sell whenever they get it out the door. I'm pretty sure it will sell more than those of us here at Blue's would like to see. It should sell zero. It won't.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 12:12 Mr. Tact

The US Civil War is overlooked by an even greater degree. It is still the war that killed the most US citizens. Not to mention the social and political changes that are still effecting the country to this day.  

News Comments > New Diablo III Game Director
32. Re: New Diablo III Game Director Jun 6, 2013, 09:44 Mr. Tact

Nothing I've seen would make me think so, but I admit I haven't spent a single minute in the game. *shrug*  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2013, 09:38 Mr. Tact

Asmo wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 19:21:
But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks?
If the wind is the wrong direction, 20 feet isn't far enough. Hell, I have gotten a whiff of cigarette smoke from a car behind or in front of me in traffic.
And if we're going to play the 'harmful to oneself' angle, let's legislate out the ability to do anything that could possibly cause harm, permanent damage, the shortening of your life or death. Booze, fatty food, surfing, skydiving, driving a car.
You can do whatever you want to yourself, I just don't want you doing it to me.
Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 19:52:
Well, lets ban cars and factories then. Smokes are a joke compared to those two. I love when I'm downtown having a dart and someone gives me the hairy eyeball as several delivery trucks are parked beside them idling spewing out black smoke.
As long as cars have properly operating exhaust systems, they really aren't much of an issue. Trucks and buses... yeah, they are problematic. But I have to say, even though I dislike getting caught behind a truck in traffic, it's less irritating than cigarette smoke. Factories, while you are right they pump the stuff out, it is dissipating beyond human detection by the time it gets to me. Still not good for me, but at least I don't have to be aware of it.

Second to the smoke is the filters. Continually pisses me off seeing smokers flick their filters into roads, sidewalks, yards, everywhere.

28. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 16:49 Mr. Tact

Hell, one of the reasons I was interested in computers was because I knew you couldn't smoke around them (we are talking before the IBM PC) - that and AC.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 5, 2013, 11:31 Mr. Tact

The continuing efforts of the FBI, NSA and other government organizations to restrain good encryption and security is ... I can't quite come up with the proper word. Incredible, stupid, short-sighted, take your pick... *sigh*  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 11:11 Mr. Tact

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 10:21:
Is BN down for differential backup at those times?
It's been happening occasionally recently -- you can always go here to verify it isn't just you.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 10:16 Mr. Tact

InBlack wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 10:13:
You dont buy dog food? May I ask what the doggies eat then?
He doesn't by the dog food at the pet store -- probably gets it at the grocery store.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2013, 10:15 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 10:09:
That one scene in Heat is great too:

Alan Marciano: Why'd I get mixed up with that bitch?

Vincent Hanna: Cause she's got a great ass... and you got your head all the way up it!
Haha, yeah. Heat is definitely a five star film as far as I am concerned. Pacino's character is awesome. There is a lot of good dialog in that film, like the scene with Pacino and DeNiro sitting down for coffee.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 4, 2013, 11:51 Mr. Tact

It all depends on the context. If the context is the US economy, it isn't a massive layoff. If the context is simply the percentage of company employees losing their job, then "massive" is subjective. Personally, I think 1 in 5 employees getting a pink slip is a pretty large layoff.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 12:47 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 11:09:
Yeah, it does get a little sloppy at the end, but up until that point it's been an absolute blast, so I'll forgive him the last 100 pages.
Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about it. This gets second place behind Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant as most realistic description of a possible human exploration into space. While I like Star Trek, I find it difficult to believe we can ever get there. Far more likely that even with interstellar technology we'll continued to be troubled by politics, nationalism, crime, and economic problems.

Not saying Anthony's is better -- just a more likely vision of how things would go. ie... not neat and clean.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2013, 11:02 Mr. Tact

Speaking of reading, Creston...

I just finished plowing through Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained over the weekend. Thanks for the recommendation, it was well worth the read. Although considering it was a 1900+ page story, he seemed like he could have spent another 50 pages of so spending a little more time on closing out the storylines a little more completely. It was almost like he had gotten tired of the book...

Did I miss it, or do we never find out what Cat's crimes were? I was really wondering what caused the 1,000 year suspension sentence.

I've started the Void trilogy now...

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
20. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 3, 2013, 09:18 Mr. Tact

I'm not convinced, I suspect they'll match MS in the end.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 3, 2013, 09:17 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Leave my email alone, Yahoo. I'll never see your ads anyway, thanks to Ad Blocker.

I need a better email service. Both Yahoo and Google keep pissing me off.

3348 Comments. 168 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo