Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3581 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 10, 2013, 09:53 Mr. Tact

My mother actually received from Grace Hopper one of her famous nanoseconds.

My mother definitely influenced my career choice getting an associates degree in computer programming in 1970 (or there abouts) and then working from the 1970s through the early 1990s as a computer programmer. I never thought about it much at the time, but in retrospect an interesting and unusual career choice for a woman born in 1939.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2013, 10:13 Mr. Tact

I know the words and understand them. That doesn't change the fact that the robotic way classrooms full of children recite it at least partially override my intellectual understanding of the pledge. It doesn't "feel" right, despite my knowledge.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2013, 10:08 Mr. Tact

Despite the plethora of crazy endings to football games yesterday, I have managed to be 14-1 going into MNF. I picked two significant upsets one of which worked, the other which didn't: Miami over Pittsburgh, Atlanta over Green Bay. Then a minor upset in picking San Fran over Seattle. This gained me 1 game in the standings. MNF it looking like a toss-up for the most part -- I guess I'll have to consider the game again and make sure I'm not overlooking anything.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $34 Million
22. Re: Star Citizen Hits $35 Million Dec 8, 2013, 20:28 Mr. Tact

Do we know how many of those were sold? Inquiring minds....  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2013, 18:19 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 16:02:
That Lions-Eagles game may have been the best game all year. What an awesome game.
The end of the Ravens/Viking ending was just as awesome.

Ah, you edited to say that...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2013, 11:05 Mr. Tact

mag wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 10:27:
The Pledge always made my skin crawl as a kid. That felt like something some totalitarian dystopia would do to brainwash its kids.
Yeah, even as a USAF veteran I have to say I never cared for the pledge for reasons approximating this. Love the heart felt national anthem though.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2013, 21:53 Mr. Tact

It is part of the natural process. You can bet in 2073, when 9/11 is 72 years in the past -- the date will pass without a lot of hub-bub. It will be mentioned, as the Pearl Harbor attack has been, but most people will take little or no notice of it.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2013, 13:06 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 11:58:
And yeah, I finally went 11-3 this week too so we'll see what's what.
I assume that's an 11-5 since there were 16 games. I'm still hanging two games out of 1st. But yeah, in the later weeks it's tougher to make picks that move you up the rankings.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2013, 12:05 Mr. Tact

I'd assumed you were commenting on how disappointing it is that it's national news when a "famous" person dies in a car accident but not when two women and a child do. If that isn't it, please enlighten me.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2013, 21:44 Mr. Tact

Uh.. there are thousands of car accident deaths every year, do you expect them all to make the national news cycle?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2013, 16:19 Mr. Tact

Having a bad day, Cutter? *sheesh*  

6. Re: Off topic Dec 4, 2013, 15:01 Mr. Tact

Not gaming related, but so cool I need to mention it -- A Kickstarter Project: Circuit Scribe  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2013, 11:12 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the North East US is a throwback in heating, radiators and heating oil. Oh boy!  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2013, 10:19 Mr. Tact

personman_145 wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 22:32:
I just mow the leaves. Far less a pain in the ass, and it helps preserve the nutrients in the soil.
As discussed in a previous topic, this isn't an option if you have very high leaf volume. But yeah, in some circumstances that works.

News Comments > Black Friday Metaverse
13. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 17:18:
Personally, I've decided to hell with all that and am getting back into business for myself. And hopefully I can turn it into enough of a going concern that in the next 5 or 10 years someone will buy the business out for a big schwack of dough and I'll disappear off to the Bahamas on my boat and drink rum the rest of my days. A far better way to go then depending on the market, or pensions that'll probably dry up, etc.
On the level, good luck to you. Plenty of people have done it, but it isn't easy. I don't have the personal initiative to do that, even if I might have the ability. I'm doing better than a lot of people, but not as well as I would like. And the layoff sword has been hanging over my head for about 8 years now. If job my and the market can hold on for another five years, I might be okay in the long run.

11. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 16:28 Mr. Tact

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 29, 2013, 15:21:
If If If.....If only i played the lottery numbers that i thought of first that made my balls tingle instead of just doing the autopicks...
Yes, it is a bit like that. However, considering generating Bitcoins 3-4 years ago was a lot more likely to happen than me writing down a set of lotto numbers which I never get around to playing which then actually get picked. I had an interest in Bitcoins from the first time I heard about them based on the crypto angle. Which I've had an interested in since PGP came out. Was just a bit too busy at the time to get more involved. *shrug*

1. Re: Black Friday Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 11:52 Mr. Tact

From the article, "People who have sold their Bitcoins early would be feeling quite ill right now, with an early Bitcoin owner purchasing 10,000 Bitcoins for just $50. He ended up giving his Bitcoins away, but if he had held onto those 10,000 Bitcoins, it would be worth a very swift $10 million today."

As I commented on yesterday's article, wishes and fishes...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2013, 11:42 Mr. Tact

Yeah, that happened to me last year -- didn't get the leafs cleared before the first snow. It wasn't too bad in the spring, but harder than doing it in the fall.

Black Friday for me this year is laundry day. I pretty much maxed out my clothing use. Probably a six load day....

News Comments > Thanksgiving Metaverse
1. Re: Thanksgiving Metaverse Nov 29, 2013, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I don't remember for sure when I first heard about Bitcoins. It's certainly been a couple of years, but I can't say specifically I knew about them in 2009. I wish I had and had been interested enough to create some. If a laptop then created what is now 4M pounds worth, in a week -- I certainly would have done at least that much. And I still have every hard drive I've used in the last 10 years.

*sigh* Wishes and fishes.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2013, 22:23 Mr. Tact

Agreed. We really like ya' Blue. But we can live without you for a few days. Take a break, you've deserved one for a long time now -- just tell us in advance, so we don't worry.  

3581 Comments. 180 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo