Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 4221 (Master)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2016, 19:48 Mr. Tact

Only 4 of 22 people had Denver in the SB.

Hard to believe NE misses out on OT because of a missed extra point when the kicker hadn't missed one, I think it was something like (didn't actually write the stat down), since 2007.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free League of Legends Bundle
15. Re: Free League of Legends Bundle Jan 24, 2016, 19:42 Mr. Tact

The Magician wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 19:34:
Two of our kids have been lost to LoL. Fuck LoL. lol.
Hey, just be glad you didn't lose them to a gang or drug use.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2016, 17:30.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2016, 18:39 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 15:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 14:35:
For some reason I was under the impression observation of known objects had essentially ruled out the Planet-X theory...

Quit while you're ahead Dr Tact. The only way to win is not to play.
Wasn't aware there was an on-going competition, please do elaborate..

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2016, 14:35 Mr. Tact

For some reason I was under the impression observation of known objects had essentially ruled out the Planet-X theory...  

2. Re: Evidence grows for giant planet on fringes of Solar System. Jan 21, 2016, 10:45 Mr. Tact

I'm not quite sure I understand how an object that large could go unnoticed due to the gravitation effect it must have. Not to mention the occasional blocking out of stars it must cause.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 13:45 Mr. Tact

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 13:04:
I tried to be a Bengals fan since 08 and let me say this. FUCK EM.
Could be worse... you could try being a Browns fan...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2016, 10:39 Mr. Tact

CalmDragon wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 22:13:
Only if Arizona defeats New England in the big game do I have a chance.
It will be you and me on the tie break if this happens. You have 48 points, I have 49....

News Comments > Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM
15. Re: Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM Jan 18, 2016, 11:20 Mr. Tact

Slashman wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 11:14:
I'll take that please!!!
Yeah, that's what I said when he told me about it.

13. Re: Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM Jan 18, 2016, 09:08 Mr. Tact

Retired wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 06:54:
Bah, I work 12 hours, 3 on 3 off. I love it.
Have a buddy who used to have a 10 hour, 4 on 4 off schedule. Now that rocked.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2016, 19:39 Mr. Tact

Oh, I don't know Bats. I like the one with Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne meeting, nice dialog...  

5. Re: Keep Your Free CONSORTIUM Jan 17, 2016, 19:06 Mr. Tact

Slashman wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 18:50:
That was more than decent of them. Now someone find me time to play it! Its been in my Steam library forever!!
No problem, just convince your employer to let you work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days. BAM! Free day every week.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
90. Re: MS data collection Jan 17, 2016, 18:17 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 16:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 13:42:
I honestly believe it doesn't matter and they shouldn't collect the information without my specific consent.
So when MS sells your medical and genetic information to insurance companies and they refuse to insure you, what then?
Huh? I said I didn't think they should be collecting the information, what more do you want from me?

79. Re: MS data collection Jan 17, 2016, 13:42 Mr. Tact

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 12:40:
Some of the people around here should unplug their internet for absolute privacy and not bother with installing an OS because clearly they're simply not that good at it.
El Pit wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 13:07:
So, how many homing pigeons do you have? Beware of the secret NSA cats force!
These comments are no better than the ones from the other end of the spectrum. The reality is somewhere in between.

Do I think Microsoft is planning to steal my private financial information? No. Do I think their automated information tracking without my permission is reasonable? No. While they might honestly believe this information can help them build a better OS, I honestly believe it doesn't matter and they shouldn't collect the information without my specific consent.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2016, 13:23 Mr. Tact

Bats, don't go conspiracy wing nut on us!  

68. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 11:59 Mr. Tact

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 11:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2016, 09:49:
Do the weenies who think this stuff up love the idea of someone collecting all this information on what they are doing?

That's the thing. Data collection is a lot less scary when you're an insider who knows precisely what data is being collected and what is being done with it.

A lot of peoples problem with it is the uncertainty. They aren't technically savvy enough to know precisely what data is being collected, and don't have access to what exactly is being done with it. And if MS tries to reassure them, they'll just believe that Microsoft is lying and that it's all much more insidious than Microsoft is leading them to believe. That may be true, or not. This is exacerbated by clickbait articles.

But some guy at MS actually involved in creating this stuff actually knows whats being collected. And if it's innocuous metrics crap used to increase the usability of the OS, they probably aren't too worried about it and don't think twice about implementing it.

Ask anyone in this thread what data MS is collecting in Windows 10 and what they are doing with it and you'll get all kinds of different answers. People are afraid because they don't know and because they are prone to just assuming that MS is archiving their entire browsing history and sending it to the FBI, who will then forward it on to their spouses and employers before killing their dog, selling their children into slavery, and disappearing them.

Personally, I take a very pragmatic approach to privacy. Until there's something concrete to worry about, I don't worry about it. There are already so many "privacy violations" in my life that I can't do anything about without going off to live in the woods. Worrying about a few extra is just a lot of emotional energy I don't want to expend.
Everything you have said is very reasonable. And while I do my best to not be a conspiracy nut, the flip side to me is I find it difficult to believe they can find out anything useful from the benign information you are talking about -- certainly from my usage which I'm pretty sure is very far from typical. I find it doubly difficult to believe that information would actually prove useful in creating an improved OS. Basically, it comes down to just being "bad form", and it really sticks in my craw.

63. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 09:49 Mr. Tact

As another "I'm not an expert, but I'm not a bumpkin" I find this all quite annoying. I'm pretty happy with Win7 and I came here straight from WinXP. This automated reporting makes me want to punch someone. Do the weenies who think this stuff up love the idea of someone collecting all this information on what they are doing?

As far as I can tell Linux still isn't a viable option for the casual gamer. I used to think "1984" was paranoia -- lately it just seems inevitable.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 17, 2016, 09:40 Mr. Tact

Ah, pay for priority makes much more sense, however still... no "common" user is going to put up with having to pay to use their currency efficiently. For Bitcoin to become what the supporters want, they need a significant solution to this issue. Relatively, no one uses Bitcoin. Yes, I know there are Bitcoin ATMs and obviously from these articles there are thousands of transactions going on all of the time. But compared to any major currency in the world, it is nothing. They have to increase the capacity in a major way before it will become what they dream of it becoming.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 5 Begins
15. Re: Diablo III Season 5 Begins Jan 17, 2016, 09:34 Mr. Tact

Totally agree with MoreLuckThanSkill -- unfortunately Blizzard has been making a lot of bad decisions recently...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2016, 21:07 Mr. Tact

It was hands to the face....  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 16, 2016, 21:06 Mr. Tact

What the hell? Increase fees to reduce transactions as a solution?

I'm not a Bitcoin expert, but I've read several articles about this situation and it definitely appears to be critical time for Bitcoin. It will be interesting to see where it all ends up...

4221 Comments. 212 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo