Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3523 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue/Into the Black
2. Re: Out of the Blue/Into the Black Feb 19, 2014, 08:31 Mr. Tact

I actually managed to see this post before the site went totally ka-boom. I tried to comment on it and say something like, "we seem to be having these brief outages more regularly lately" and couldn't. It wasn't too long after that the entire site was just down.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 08:27 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 06:43:
I was referring to the SimCity debacle.
Ah, well -- since I have at least half a brain, I didn't buy that -- so I didn't notice.

News Comments > MS "Absolutely" Committed to PC Gaming (as Holtman Leaves)
2. Re: MS "Absolutely" Committed to PC Gaming (as Holtman Leaves) Feb 18, 2014, 21:17 Mr. Tact

And your check is in the mail...  

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 21:14 Mr. Tact

Thank you Frans!  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2014, 21:12 Mr. Tact

Damn, his father only lived to 53 and he dies at 48 -- fate has not been kind to the Henson family. Condolences to their friends and family.  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2014, 20:31 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 18:19:
The toughest non-game outage evar!

It was still shorter than EA's outage, and at 1/100th the resources at that.
There was an EA outage? I never noticed.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2014, 18:52 Mr. Tact

On the IPv4 to IPv6 conversion... I work in that field -- configuring routers, switches, and load balancers. And let me say, I hope the switch to IPv6 does not happen in my workplace until after I retire.

There will need to some seriously better tools than we have in IPv4 or it will be a nightmare. I type IPv4 addresses many, many times a day -- having to type IPv6 addresses instead would be a major headache.

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
5. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 18, 2014, 18:21 Mr. Tact

Any word on how many are being laid off? Are we talking dozens or hundreds? Definitely a tough business to work in if a company this successful goes this way...  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2014, 18:19 Mr. Tact

The toughest non-game outage evar!  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2014, 08:39 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 16:49:
One of my pet ways of annoying the crew is by turning various moments into musical interludes, so I actually did sing bits of that while we are playing. I regularly make MrKawfy crazy by singing Black Betty any time someone says Bouncing Betty.
Ha! That is funny -- good song.

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
31. Re: Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It Feb 11, 2014, 09:18 Mr. Tact

Fion wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 07:16:
Adr1ft.. really?
Yeah, that was my reaction. Pretty funny from a guy who is famous for ranting about people caught in the 20th century.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
37. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 16:39 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:25:
You have a better ESPP than I do. I can do the same thing, 15% off the stock, it gets purchased every six months, you buy it for the lowest price either of day one or day 180, but I can't sell it for a year. So that makes it kinda pointless...
Yeah, that blows.

The only catch for us is we can't certificate the shares out for 18 months. But if you want to sell them, the vendor will do that on the first day the shares are posted to the account. Now, you do get a bit hosed, their pricing is pretty high compared to something like TradeKing or Scottrade. But it isn't horrendous. The last time I did that I think it was like $80 in fees to sell 1,000 shares. So, 10 times what I would pay in my Scottrade account, but low enough to live with.

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:37 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 12:21:
Which most financial advisors will tell you don't put all your money streams into your employer, paycheck and investments. You'd think that employees couldn't do that just to keep them safe and companies honest. But no, my company pushes their stock on their employees. I say no, even tough last year it was a monster and would have been a smart move for at least that year, but overall it is too risky.
Yeah, it really depends on the specific situation. For instance, I max out my 401k contributions, but none of the money is invested in my company except as part of my investment in a S&P 500 fund. However, my company also offers an ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). You put anywhere from $10 to $1000 per month into an account and every six months they use whatever is in the account to purchase company stock in your name at 15% under the lower of the prices from the start of the period or the end of the period. Which is a total win. Even if the stock price is going down, you can simply sell the shares the day after they are purchased and you immediately make 15% on your money.

The Dec. 31st purchase represented an immediate 40% gain -- the stock was up 25% from mid year. So, even though it's now down 15% in the last month, I really don't care too much.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 12:18 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 11:59:
Sorry, my own company isn't doing so hot these days, and when I read stuff about "COMPANY X IS DOING Y TO 401(k)!" I tend to go "OH SHIIIIIT!"
Yeah, once the money is in the account, you are pretty much good to go. The worst thing they can do to you is reduce the options of what you can invest in to things which you don't want your money in. For instance, if they gave you two options company stock or a "stable fund" ie.. basically money market. So, it's either gamble on the company, or take your .75% return. I haven't specifically heard of a company doing that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 10, 2014, 11:50 Mr. Tact

Part of what happened at Enron was employees were encouraged to put their 401k money into Enron stock. A standard investment ideal is you should never have more than 5% of your portfolio in a single company. But many employees either didn't know that, or ignored it and put most or all of their 401k investments into Enron stock. Which worked well in the beginning.. but was disastrous at the end.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 10, 2014, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I've never been particularly sensitive to insults of any kind -- my general reaction since I was a teenager was to say, "Yeah so." Seems to me this guy should have just turned off his twitter, stopped reading forums (or whatever), gotten a new email address and just been done with it. Pulling the game only means you let the trolls get to you...  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
37. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 10, 2014, 07:41 Mr. Tact

I've heard of GTA5 and Angry Birds, but until now never heard of Flappy Birds or Candy Crush. But then, even though I have a smart phone, the only game I've ever played on it was Chess.

Hard to tell from his tweets if he is just emotionally fragile or if it is a marketing gimmick, I really don't care which it is. What I do know is I need to sit down and create a cheesy, addictive game and get it into the app stores. $50k a day? $850k a day? Holy Cow!

Edit: This WSJ story indicates he was having issue with his sudden fame and the trolling that comes with Internet fame.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2014, 08:16.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 7, 2014, 13:50 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 12:13:
I cannot a imagine healthy, hard working, family person having time to play an MMO.
Thank goodness I'm not one of those!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 10:04 Mr. Tact

Glancing through the list of "scandals and controversies" at previous Olympics, I'd say the organizers of these Olympics will be quite happy if that's the kind of problems they have. We/they just don't want another Munich...  

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
8. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 7, 2014, 09:36 Mr. Tact

I might sign up again when the new expansion comes out, totally skipped MoP. By the time the new expansion comes out I'll have been out for over three years...  

3523 Comments. 177 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo