Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Tact

Real Name Mr. Tact   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mr. Tact
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 9, 2004, 17:38
Total Comments 3897 (Veteran)
User ID 20582

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
46. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:21 Mr. Tact

It's weird, you'd think a bug like that would get noticed in testing. I wonder if it was introduced in a late patch...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2015, 09:20 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 00:18:
Psychology is to psychiatry as astrology is to astronomy.
My understanding is that the difference between a psychologist and and psychiatrist is a medical degree. So, the psychiatrist can write prescriptions where the psychologist can't. But their method of diagnosing mental health is the same.

From WebMD: "Both kinds of professionals treat people with problems that vary widely by degree and type, from mild anxiety to schizophrenia. Both can practice psychotherapy, and both can do research."

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2015, 22:56 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 22:11:
Easily treatable by voodoo?
Millions of people are able to live relatively normal lives because of psychiatric medicine.
Okay, I admit it -- I exaggerated my position. You are, of course, correct. Many people have been successfully treated by talk therapy and by medication. However, professional psychiatric opinions on even a specific case can vary widely, much more so than with other medical situations. And with an uncooperative patient, they are impossible.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2015, 21:55 Mr. Tact

As much as I hate the term, it is a "slippery slope" problem. People certainly threaten violence without any intention of ever carrying it out. And I don't have much confidence in psychiatry, it is one step above voodoo as far as I am concerned, about equal with economics.

Even if you made some specific exception in the law for commercial pilots -- it would just keep the pilots from ever seeking help. So, a problem that might be easily treatable goes untreated. I'm not sure there is a reasonable, valid solution.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 27, 2015, 16:55 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 15:58:
I could say you're trolling because you had nothing at all to say on the subject

Orogogus makes good points though and has turned me around it.
Uh, my comments were earlier in the thread. Glad to see you coming around though.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
75. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 27, 2015, 09:17 Mr. Tact

Well, I gave them $165 so I guess I should try the game. Need to get myself psyched up for it though.. just not feeling it at the moment.  

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 27, 2015, 09:15 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 07:16:
Let's just ban all sexuality in our culture, people can walk around as asexual Nintendo amiibos and we'll all live in happyland where everyone is treated equally.
3 out of 10 on this Troll attempt.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2015, 23:32 Mr. Tact

Amusing -- broadband.gov says I have nine options for 10Mbps or better. Damn funny. Comcast is actually the only choice. As much as I hate them, I'm glad I have at least one choice.  

5. Re: RSA Conference bans ‘booth babes' Mar 26, 2015, 23:10 Mr. Tact

It's the end of the world as we know it! Okay, maybe not. I understand why this is "news", but it really shouldn't be. And frankly, I really doubt anyone that matters is crying about the "ban".  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1143. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 23, 2015, 15:54 Mr. Tact

Same here, been a couple weeks since I've been in the game. Might go back to it in a while, we'll see...  

16. Re: Retirement Crisis Mar 23, 2015, 13:45 Mr. Tact

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 13:10:
I think the problem isn't that the system is broken, it's that people are so damned focused on immediate satisfaction that they are nearly blinded by it. Where's the concern for Social Security? I hear that system's kicking ass ...
You are, of course, correct. There is no major flaw in 401ks. There are some minor issues where the stocks/funds available to investors are less than great choices, but the major issue is people being either unwilling or unable to save.

There are people buying new cars every few years instead of saving, that's true. But there are also plenty of people who simply don't make enough. If you are supporting a family of four and make less than $40k a year, there isn't going to be a lot of left over for retirement savings -- highly dependent on location..

Neither of those problems have simple solutions.

News Comments > Diablo III Gold & Experience Bonus
17. Re: Diablo III Gold & Experience Bonus Mar 23, 2015, 12:05 Mr. Tact

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 12:00:
I've blown a billion on a single item re-roll, so I'm sort of glad with the way it is. If gold was more finite, then when you get to 20 million per re-roll it would get really frustrating.
Wow, that's semi-impressive. Don't suppose you know how many re-rolls that is?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2015, 12:03 Mr. Tact

One reasonably sized earthquake in the San Joaquin valley and it gets a lot worse...  

11. Re: Navy launching fighter jets with magnets Mar 22, 2015, 09:35 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 02:12:
1.5 trillion dollars later, and this is the only way they can get that piece of shit F-35 in the air!
You'll find me near the front of the line complaining about the F-35, but the article seems to only mention them in a second hand way. They claim the new launch system is designed to cause less wear and tear on all aircraft and the pilots. Which, if true, seems to be a reasonable design goal for a new aircraft carrier launch system.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2015, 10:25 Mr. Tact

WaltC wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:19:
...all because in its infinite wisdom France had decided to tax home A/C units to the point that only very rich people could afford them...
You know when that happened I wondered why there was so little AC in France. I don't recall ever reading/hearing about your suggested cause. Not saying you're wrong, just a bit surprised that if true the press didn't spin that angle a little more. I had always written off to some social/cultural thing which I was ignorant of...

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2015, 10:32.

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
82. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 19, 2015, 11:47 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 00:05:
Dude, games before dames.
Definitely dependent on the game and the dame -- I can see either side winning with depending on the selections.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2015, 11:05 Mr. Tact

ie. March Madness: On the one hand, Kentucky is the prohibitive favorite and I like to root for the underdogs. On the other I'm so sick and tired of hearing about the 1976 Indiana team who was the last undefeated champion and I truly dislike Indiana.. so pretty much I'm in a win-win situation..  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2015, 08:47 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 01:16:
I'm glad there's finally some organization to it, but for fuck's sake, Valve, is it that hard to allow me to rename the things? Can't one of you wheel your desk over to the "make Steam more useful" corner and work like ten fucking minutes on it?
I seem to run into this kind of bad application design continually, and it drives me absolutely batty. Things like you can rename X but not Y or you can search on X criteria but not Y. And you just sit there look at your screen and think, "Really? Did you guys really put that little thought into the design?"

Application interface design is apparently either considered a waste of time or pays so little no one wants to do it. Not sure what the actual problem is...

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2015, 11:05.

News Comments > MINECON 2015 Announced
2. Re: MINECON 2015 Announced Mar 18, 2015, 23:58 Mr. Tact

I'm sure it will sell out in reasonably short order...  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
63. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 17:05 Mr. Tact

So, in others words, nothing I care an ounce about. Thought so.  

3897 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo