Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1789 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubi DRM Thwarts Review
35. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:12 Darks

I donít get why this game has a Three limit install when it uses Steam. That is absurd!!

Another reason why I do not ever buy their games. I have a long story about how my Sons CD key stopped working and the BS I went through to get it fixed. To put it short. They kept insisting his CD key was good but it wasnít. I told them something on his account was locked down and the key wasnít showing activated. After a month of fighting with UBishit support, they finally removed the old key and gave me a new one. Works great now. And I got to keep the old key. Guess what? That key works perfectly fine on the new account I made. But Ubishit insisted that there was nothing wrong on his account. Pathetic!!

Blue byte contacted them and fixed their issues. But what about those of us that have issues? Why donít we get the same respect and help?

It all comes back to UBishit support and how badly it is.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt
3. Re: CD Projekt RED Ceasing Witcher 2 Piracy Witch Hunt Jan 12, 2012, 11:46 Darks

Frijoles wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 11:37:
At least they're listening. Witcher 2 was one of the few games I actually played from start to finish. Can't wait for #3 or whatever they work on next.

This is why I buy their games, they are a good decent developer that deservers supporting. Good for you CD Projekt!! Glad to see that they came to their senses.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2012, 12:11 Darks

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 11:55:
already spoiled by "game-design for consoles" no doubt, maybe just am too skeptic. Diablo 3 certainly looks like it was designed (graphics only) for consoles though

I mean just look at it -> http://www.playm.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Diablo-3.jpg

Its basically warcraft 3 with bloom and a complete lack of sharp textures

Thereís no surprise here. Iím on the beta and it is blatantly clear that this game was made for the console. fucking Bizzard!!

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
148. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 17:09 Darks

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 16:47:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 15:47:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 14:50:

You mean to tell me after a decade, they only managed to finish one race's campaign? Really? C'mon it's a cash grab, you know it, I know it, Blizzard knows it. Let's be realistic here.

I'd love for Activision to give Blizzard a standard 18-24 month dev cycle that the rest of the industy uses rather than 5-10 years they take each title just to laugh at the results.

Blizzard in my eyes is the most overrated developer in the entire industry, Any other team does not need a decade to put out a standard action rpg click fest, or a standard RTS based on genre tropes.

It's astounding to me that people still defend them for being inept.

You're getting way to caught up on what they called the game, and not what is in the game. The content is superior both in quality and quantity to the original. They announced a trilogy. Each game is standalone, separated by two full years of development. This same model is used by countless developers: Bioshock, Mass Effect, Batman Arkham X, Modern Warfare, etc. How is this any different from those games? It's not. If Heart of the Swarm comes out with no SP game, and only 2 extra units per side for $60 I'll eat my words, but that seems extremely unlikely.

As for it taking 10 years to get SCII out the door, Blizzard is a smaller company that focuses on one or two projects at a time. Their products are uniformly high quality, and tend to be played for years after release. I guess if you don't like SCII, you could play that other RTS that came out 1.5 years ago that is still played by thousands of people. Oh, no you can't because there isn't one.

As for it being a "standard RTS", you can't just pump these out like apple pies: it takes a lot of time and effort to get the gameplay and balance of an RTS correct. The possibilities in chess are greater than all the molecules in the known universe. Given that an RTS orders of magnitude more complex than chess, it stands to reason that takes some time to get right. Look at two recent RTS games that didn't take that time: Stronghold 3 and SotS 2, both of which are total messes.

As for Blizzard being inept, SCII scores 93% on Metacritic, 92% on Game Rankings, and has sold over 5 million copies, most of those at full price. By any objective measure, that reeks of competence and success.

I meant inept in the sense of dev cycles. Name one thing that SC2 does game play wise, that any C&C game hasn't done with the exception of C&C 4 that didn't have base building. To be honest I'd rather play C&C Generals than Warcraft3 or Starcraft 2 just on personal preference. SC isn't fun MP, every game is a 5 minute base rush online and the cpu ai cheats solo. Meh sorry not impressed.

I could care less how many copies they sell based solely on the Blizzard brand name, the fact of the matter is their titles graphically look worse 99 out of 100 times compared to others in their respected genres due to their long cycles, never innovate, and imo at the least are over rated because to me they are no better or play really any different than other titles put out by other developers in less time.

With one exception, I though Diablo 1 was one of the greatest games of it's time and really that was made by Condor who Blizzard bought after they pitched the title to them in the first place.

My biggest gripe about Blizzard would be that they get so caught up in the, I donít want to change anything; we just want to make it look better and play better. They still canít think outside the box. They refuse to update their games to a more modern look and feel. And what I mean by that is, why is it that we still canít use the keyboard to move your char around with why is it that we still have lack of control over the camera and lack of rotating the camera?

The best answer I can come up with is that Blizzard is afraid to change anything for fear that it would upset many of their fan bases. I personally canít stand the camera being locked down. To me, I need a camera more like Dungeon Siege or Sacred 2.

Same goes for their cookie cutter Suck Craft 2. All they did with that game was give it a shiny new coat of paint. The game is still pretty much the same. All you guys got was a new story to go along with that new coat of paint.

Blizzard needs to take more chances with their games, and they really do need to stop taking 5 years to develop a game. They got an endless supply of money coming in, thereís no excuse for not having a good sized team that can get the job done quicker.

News Comments > Diablo III in February?
144. Re: Diablo III in February? Jan 9, 2012, 16:32 Darks

While I doubt that this release date will be firm, I do believe they are very close to this date for release. Another funny thing is, the guys making Torchlight 2 have been screwing around trying to get the game done, that if theyíre not carful Diablo 3 will get released sooner than they expected and this will ultimately have a big effect on their games release and success. Blizzards liable to pull the old switch-aroo on them by releasing D3 sooner than anyone expected.  

News Comments > The Lure of the Dark Side
13. Re: The Lure of the Dark Side Dec 24, 2011, 17:51 Darks

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 17:04:
JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 11:40:
Fion wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 11:15:
550'000 Sith Warriors to 510'00 Jedi Knights seems pretty balanced to me. The PvP (from what I've experienced) is pretty balanced as well. I play Republic side and win about half our matches. It's more than I can say for that other MMOG that has yet to find balance in almost 7 years.

Well, unfortunately that might change in the future. Having played almost every PvP related MMO over the last 15 years, I've noticed a phenomenon. It's called "join the winning team", and it might be human nature. Once one side starts winning more than the other, even if it's 51/49, people who want to win start switching to the winning side. Then it becomes 52/48, 60/40, 65/35, until it's unbalanced. You see the phenomenon outside of gaming too, with people suddenly being "huge fans" of whichever sport's team is good that year, etc. Might be premature to call the PvP in this game "balanced".

The most balanced PvP games I've seen were ones where there were more than two factions, as then the weaker factions team up to defeat the strongest. Planetside with three sides, Dark Age of Camelot with three sides, etc. In my opinion if there are only two sides, Horde/Alliance, Sith/Jedi, it will NEVER be balanced.

This point is exactly right. Two sided pvp never works because of the above reasons. If you want to play SWTOR for pvp you better do it now because the servers will be empty in 6 months.

Since when did you become a psychic? I guess you broke out your magic crystal ball and it told you that the game will be dead and gone in 6 months? Since you seem to know so much how about you tell me next weekís lotto numbers?

News Comments > On Sale
28. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2011, 10:51 Darks

Verno wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 23:10:
Gifting, gifting. Thanks for all the people sending me gifts, but I'd rather you guys pay it forward by joining "Play it Forward".

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/playitforward2012xmas

Can't say I'm displeased with Verno's gift though. You are a god among men for giving me Elder Mother-F****ng Scrolls: Skyrim! AWESOME!!!!

No worries bud, I thought you deserved it after sending out the absurd amount of gifts you did this year for people on the site. Anyway we're off to visit family for a few days, everyone have a great holiday!

Is anyone else pissed off at the way Steam changed the look of gifting games to others? I cannot stand how the new look is. is there any way to get it back to normal? I liked how you were able to see who all you sent a gift to and a history of it all in one small list. The whole icon look and only seeing what you have available totally sucks now. Maybe Iím missing something, but I looked and I do not see a way to get it to show a pop open window as before.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Nerf Gun Uproar
9. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Nerf Gun Uproar Dec 23, 2011, 01:45 Darks

Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 21:36:
And this surprises people how? You keep giving EA money, they're going to keep raping you.

I think my favorite part of the whole story is how initially they were all like "No, those weapons aren't unbalanced!" and now their tune is "yeah, those were way unbalanced, so we got rid of all of them and replaced them with new weapons you have to buy more shit for."

Good old EA. Your entire corporate headquarters could burn to the ground, and it still wouldn't make up for all the shit you pull.

Creston

I stopped supporting them over a year ago. Iím done with this company as a whole. I could care less if they were the last Assholes on the planet making gameís I still would not buy one of theirs.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches
21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 13:10 Darks

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:50:
Yewkon wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:38:
It shouldn't be too hard to reach the level cap. I played the weekend beta and was able to solo the 1st flashpoint because the AI is so terrible in this game. Any other MMO would have reset the boss(s) when they couldn't reach me or hit me. LOL not in this game. Run out, shoot a few times, run back behind boxes while keeping the boss on the opposite side... oh and have my sidekick heal me.

If I was able to solo a group flashpoint and had never played the game before, imaging all the AI exploits the long term beta testers know about.

Seriously, worst MMO AI I've ever seen.

So you solo'd the Esseles Flashpoint, but what level were you and what class are you, cause isn't it designed for level 18 or so characters?

That's like saying you were awesome cause you solo'd one of WoW's starter Dungeons (Dead Mines/Wailing Caverns) with a healer...

The Esseles Flashpoint is a low level FP. you can start it at level 9 and up. but, you would have to be at least a level 15 or above to solo it. There are a few boss fights that are pretty dificult. You defianlty are not going to solo this FP at 10 thru 14.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2?
9. Re: Company of Heroes 2? Dec 20, 2011, 12:39 Darks

Lobster wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:16:
It's been a while since we've had Yet Another WWII Game.

Can they stop with the Warhammer and COH games and make a new Homeworld game please. Relic acts like they dont even know that they own the Homeworld title anymore.

News Comments > The Old Republic Code Issues
2. Re: The Old Republic Code Issues Dec 19, 2011, 15:47 Darks

Iím going to go out on a limb and say that Itís not Tuesday yet people, your codes probably wonít work until tomorrow. Tuesday is the official release date. I would imagine thatís the issue here.  

News Comments > On SWTOR Queues
35. Re: On SWOTR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 13:14 Darks

Zuckuss wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 10:56:
Here is what drives me insane. Blocky

Iíve been in the beta for over 6 months, and I have been playing the final build of this game. I have never once seen that in the game happen. This is your Graphics settings, drivers or something with your hardware causing that. I donít get blocky shit like that. This is the first times Iíve seen it or heard of anyone saying they had this. Before you go blaming the game, make sure its not you.

News Comments > CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up
3. Re: CD Project vs. File-Sharers Follow-up Dec 15, 2011, 10:37 Darks

Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2011, 10:07:
Haha oh ok, as long as you're "sure" then who cares! Thumbsup

Developers and publisher, they are all ass clowns. They are trying to stop something that is like putting your finger in the many holes of a leaking damn. Good luck with trying to plug all those holes. Itís Never going to happen.

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
12. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 12:13 Darks

Xoxotl wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 11:24:
The rolling entrance makes sense to me.

Don't get me wrong. I agree about the rolling early access. I have no problem with that... it's a good way to prevent a million people in the newbie zones at once and causing the server to catch fire and explode.

It's just the way they're handling it. Tell me when I can play. That's all I want to know. But they won't... they're sending out invite e-mails in "waves" that is supposed to be based on the date you entered your pre-order code. The first "wave" went out a little late and then they sent the second "wave" at around 9:30am EST. And they just sent the third "wave".

No, they're not telling you when the "waves" are going out. You just have to wait and hope you're getting access.

They could alleviate a lot of frustration and QQ if they just said "Look at the chart. Match it with the date range you submitted your pre-order code. That's when you'll get early access." Period. Done.

Are you seriously going to stand by that comment? I guess you must have been absent the day pre orders went live. It was all based on when you bought your pre order and when you put that pre order code in to the system.

I bought mine as soon as it came available with in the first 30 mins. I knew If I had my code in that early that I would get an invite in the first wave. There was no secret on how this was going to play out and for anyone to sit here and complain about it is ridiculous.

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
11. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 12:06 Darks

Yewkon wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 12:03:
Agreed that this is a poor way to roll out this early access.

They could have sent out these emails a week ago, so people could plan ahead. To send the emails on the same day access begins is rather short-sighted.

Sorry, but you all must be lacking. I got my email last week telling me to go and download the client and pre load the game. So if you did not get on then most likely you were not on the early hit list. I did get my email early this Moring telling me that I was now able to go and play. But Emails did go out last week for pre loads.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3: BFE vs Pirates
15. Re: Serious Sam 3: BFE vs Pirates Dec 8, 2011, 10:44 Darks

Porn-O-Matic wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 00:27:
That's cute... too bad it can't be rigged to kill the pirates for real.

youíre a real genius, like you havenít pirated anything in your entire life right?

News Comments > Serious Sam 3: BFE vs Pirates
14. Re: Serious Sam 3: BFE vs Pirates Dec 8, 2011, 10:41 Darks

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 09:28:
gilly775 wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 09:01:
Kajetan wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 05:54:
3. There will be ALWAYS a working crack. Always.

Afaik, there is no "working crack" for this game and I thought there was a handful of other games that were never cracked. Weren't there issues with cracking Silent Hunter 5?

Most of the time when a game goes uncracked its due to lack of interest from both consumers and the "scene". Also these days many games are cracked by non-scene members and uploaded through Usenet/P2P, so they don't get the same exposure. I have no idea about this particular game though.

The only way to make a truly uncrackable game would be to basically build a streaming client/server model like OnLive. Even then in theory it's technically possible that someone could reverse engineer it although that's unlikely given the amount of time and expertise required. We do live in the age of crowdsourcing though so nothing is impossible, I remember the Chinese and Russian cracking groups working on the UbiDRM with thousands of people submitting the database entries/checks. It was really impressive in a disturbing sort of way.

As for this particular game there is no crack right now but that isn't saying much considering its still quite new. Some take hours, some take months.

There are cracks out for this game, just not good ones at the moment. As for the interest in this game its very small. Plus this time of year is bad for games getting cracked because most people are on holiday or preparing for finals. So the crackers are essentially busy with other more important things. But donít kid yourself it will get cracked. They always do.

I dont even think this game sold very well.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
52. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 10:26 Darks

wonkawonka wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 10:14:
Darks wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:55:
Do you remember the AI in the Thief series? Now that AI would search you out if they heard something or found a body. Programmers these days are getting lazy about how they write their code.

You can't compare, for at least a couple of reasons:

1- In Thief, you can only be a thief. In Skyrim you can be anything, including a mage dabbling in a bit of hiding. Making stealth be so challenging will stop anyone from dabbling in stealth. It'll be an either/or situation and you'll have to fully commit to stealth to make it worthwhile.

2- You ain't got much space to hide in in dungeons. In Thief the environments were highly, highly customized to stealth-based gaming. You just can't do that systematically with such a huge game as Skyrim.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think the point we were making here is that the AI gives up way to easily. There should be a bit more effort on their part then just looking for 5 seconds then giving up in their search. And letís be honest now, if you have the perk for stealth then it should work as advertised. If you are just squatted down and make a lot of noise or get to close and are spotted and are of a low level. Then I have no pity on you when the AI pummels you into next week.

50. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:55 Darks

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 02:10:
Off Topic - Jerykk or anyone else, what do you think of the a.i. in Batman?

It's definitely better than the AI in Skyrim.

It's okay, I guess. It does what it needs to do. If you attack someone without using stealth, they'll call out for help and any nearby enemies will rush to aid him. During combat, they'll pickup weapons and throw stuff at you. If you're in a stealth segment, enemies will tend to stick together after finding a body. This is better than Skyrim, where enemies will search a 5 foot radius for about 5 seconds, then give up and say "I guess I was just imagining things" even though they're standing right next to the corpse of their buddy.

Do you remember the AI in the Thief series? Now that AI would search you out if they heard something or found a body. Programmers these days are getting lazy about how they write their code.

47. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 09:48 Darks

Domgrief wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 09:37:
InBlack wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 07:21:
2. The UI seems to be even more FUBAR now than before, it randomly drops me back ingame and this is especially frequent when talking to people now. (fuck consoles, fuck em hard)

Oh, I love this part of the update. Having remapped my controls before the patch, several non-3D commands have changed keys (lockpicking, inventory, etc.), but the key mappings shown on screen are still wrong.

So everything's still wrong, but it's wrong in a different way to before, so it's made me have to find the right keys all over again.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the update. I'm still an early mage, and I get killed by just about everything unless I have a meat shield, so I wouldn't understand the resistance issues everyone's been talking about.

Did you all not believe me when I started this post with donít do it, it will make it worse? I guess you all are glutens for punishment. I tried to tell you guys this patch was bad.

Personally, Iím not touching this patch. I have not had any issues at all with my game running or mouse issues. I have installed a bunch of mods that have made my game even better. Iím just not going to screw it up with patches that I know are going to break it.

1789 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo