Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1816 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
4. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 14:55 Darks

yea, theres all kinds of hell going on there with them. I have a contact there thats very close to this project and hes telling me its not good at all. Wont be much longer until this game is either free or shut down.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
35. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 15:06 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:56:
Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:16:
Before this thread descends (further) into name-calling, I do think there is merit to both sides.

Crowd funding is something of a free-for-all and if you don't like what they're doing, don't join the crowd.

Kickstarter, however, implies the impoverished little guy, who needs a kick to start their project.

I'm all in favour of this sort of thing (when properly labelled). Anything which takes creative control away from the creatively bankrupt publishers is a good thing, however, I can see that this isn't what the Kickstarter ethos is for many people.

That's exactly it. That's like that KS by Thomas Jane yesterday. He wants 600k...are you kidding me? He's rich already. KS is not for multi-millionaires who don't want to risk any of their own money. It's for people who have zilch and a good idea. I really don't want to see KS devolve into a place where rich and/or successful companies/people who can actually afford to fund their own projects but simply don't want to so they ask everyone else. People who really need the resources shouldn't have to compete with that nonsense.

Thatís what I was trying to relay across Cutter, Iím all for Kickstarter too but not when a developer is purposely trying to put the burden on the consumer and not pull it from their own pockets. To me thatís BS. You sometimes get the feeling these guys are only trying to line their own pockets.

32. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 14:49 Darks

Re-Added

#$%^ off dude, if youíre too stupid to understand what I was relaying across then youíre a lost cause and part of the problem.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2012, 15:06.

27. removed Jul 13, 2012, 14:08 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 13, 2012, 14:10.

24. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 13:55 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 13:12:

I feel it is a problem. Kickstarter is (to my knowledge) supposed to help finance those who have tried and couldn't get financed, a last choice option.
That would be the source of our disagreement. I don't subscribe to your vision of kickstarter at all. Way too narrow and exclusive for me.

Sorry, but to me this is a big problem, this is a company that created the first game and it did really well. Now these jerkoffs are trying to soak the community for more money to kick off a part 2 of their game. Something smells very fishy.
These guys made more then enough money to make their sequel. I donít like it when you have developers trying to soak money out of people when they miss managed their funds in the first place. Sorry, but I will not be supporting them on this one.

I already spent money on the first game and liked it but you are not going to tell me that they need that kind of money for assts they already have in place to make a second game.

Itís not like this game has over the top graphics. Its basically using an editor to build the levels then scripting them and making new art. This all sounds too much to me like they are trying to fund their own pockets.

News Comments > R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War Trailer
2. Re: R.A.W. Realms of Ancient War Trailer Jul 11, 2012, 11:35 Darks

Alamar wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:11:
Don't recall ever hearing about this, but we surely need more iso action RPGs : )

Little worried about the console direction... Touting 'local coop!' doesn't help... But at least it looks like the person joining has their own gear (unliked DS3).

Graphically, I liked the environments, but the font bugs me for some reason (both damage numbers, and especially items on ground).

-Alamar

This oneís been around for a while now. Iíve been awaiting it patiently too. Love that itís got Coop, but was bugged to no end that they choose to only have two players Coop vs. three players. To me that made no sense at all because there are three classes to play as. I even posted that on their forums, but got the typical answer of this is how it was designed. Why didnít they think of this while designing it in the first place is my question?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 12:15 Darks

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 12:07:
I've been a bit remiss in following the game lately, did they decide to skip an open beta?

Itís starting to seem that way Verno, I have only seen what, three betas now. And the game is supposedly coming out in Aug, which is just around the corner so itís looking like there may not be an open beta. Kind of disappointing too, my weekends are usually filled up so I really didnít get much time to play the beta. I totally missed out on that last beta because of stupid D3. But I wonít be missing out on this next one.

News Comments > Diablo III RMAH Issues
25. Re: Diablo III RMAH Issues Jun 30, 2012, 23:04 Darks

Personally I hope the RMAH goes away permanently. It has absolutely destroyed the game.

And I hope Blizzard gets their asses sued off.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patches
7. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patches Jun 28, 2012, 09:55 Darks

xornand wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 04:24:
When do they release the patch that makes the game fun to play?

Speak for yourself moron, the game happens to be damn good. Iíve been playing Coop with a few friends and itís a really fun game.

Gotta love how many of you here havenít even played the game, but in your minds the game is crap. How about you guys try playing the game before opening up your mouths and complaning first. All most of you are doing is bashing UBI. This really has nothing to do with the game at all.

Try reading this review. its actually a good solid review of the game.

www.rage3d.com/articles/gaming/ubisoft_ghost_recon_future_soldier_tech_review/

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues
23. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 17:19 Darks

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:52:
Aero wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:44:
So, other than that, is it any good? For some reason, largely due to boredom and some cash to burn, I decided I was going to buy either this or Spec Ops (knowing full well neither was going to be particularly good) and the couple reviews I read pushed me towards Spec Ops and it is so far, as I expected, good enough for me to play and have some fun with, but very thoroughly mediocre in the grand scheme of things.

There's a good bet I'll end up buying this one eventually too though, because there really isn't much in the way of upcoming action games for the PC until winter. It's just a question of how soon.

I haven't really read any reviews on it or been following the game either. I'm curious what any owners of the game have to say about how it measures up. Is it basically Call of Duty Recon or is there squad gameplay and such?

go read this one from Rage3D. pretty good one and sums the game up very well.

www.rage3d.com/articles/gaming/ubisoft_ghost_recon_future_soldier_tech_review/

Dark

14. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 12:58 Darks

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:57:
Darks wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:29:
snip
You're the reason the GR and R6 series have gone to shit.

yea, whatever jackoff!!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 12:36 Darks

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:55:
PHJF wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:51:
Can people please stop referring to ArmA in the positive? ArmA was a shit game. ArmA 2 is a shit game. ArmA 3 will most likely be a shit game. Trying to do something different and failing is failing just the same.

Yeah I made the mistake of ignoring your advice and bought ArmA 2 on sale. Maybe DayZ is cool, I have no idea because I couldn't get past the clunky, floaty controls in ArmA 2. Everything just felt off and made it a chore to play.

No knocking you Verno, I know what you mean about the controls and the bugs I experienced trying to play Coop. But I recall a conversation some time ago about Op Flashpoint Red River and how I was talking about how it was a better game especially the mechanics of the game and I got beat up by many in this same forum about being full of it.

Not saying it was you. Because I donít recall. Iím just saying that yep, ARMA is not all itís cracked up to be. Iíve been burnt twice on this series of games. Iím not holding my breath to see if ARMA 3 is any good. Time will tell. And I still hold my ground on Red River being a much better game. At least I was able to beat that campaign 3 times with friends. Canít say the same about ARMA.

12. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 12:29 Darks

Trevellian wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:43:
*shrug* I've always been a huge Ghost Recon fanboy. Had this preordered, along with 3 buddies for the Campaign COOP.

That being said. We haven't run into any of the problems other people are having. With the exception of No Crossfire/SLI Support (It causes flickering) which is easily turned off.

We haven't had a single issue with WASD and Mouse. So we can't complain. Game runs great, and it has been a lot of fun coop. My keyboard works perfectly fine. Not saying others aren't having problems but it's not as wide spread as the Ubi-Haters would have you believe.

Ill second this post and sign it. Same goes for me and my friends so far. I think people just like hearing themselves bitch is all.

All I know is this. If people continue to bitch and complain about the pc games. Even though the game does feel a bit consolish, but itís not as bad as some would have you believing. If the bitching continues, we wonít have any pc games to bitch about. They will stop making them just like this game almost didnít come to the pc.

I can say without a doubt I was happy as hell when they finally announced this game for the pc. I was at E3 when they showed of f the game two years ago. And it was stated then, that there would be no pc port. I was pissed and started my boycotting of UBI, but they have done well to this point by backing off their drm stance. So I will support them if this case. Plus having Coop is always a good thing.

11. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC Issues Jun 27, 2012, 12:23 Darks

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:14:
Apparently the game only works in 16:9, which means if you have a 16:10 monitor you'll have black bars at the top and bottom. It also has no dedicated servers and the interface is apparently straight from the console version.

So Ubisoft put in some effort but it still gets an C- overall.

Donít know about that. I have had zero issues with the resolution, or the WASD and mouse movement. So far the game has run pretty flawless and been a lot of fun. So no complaints from me. I personally am enjoying this game a lot.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 Darks

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 07:15:
Darks wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 22:18:
I have no idea what videos you are watching, but they must be shit. Because Iíve been playing the hell out of this game and its kicks ass. Coop is a ton of fun and the game looks great. The game feels like a mix of Vegas and Ghost Recon. I love the tactical element. The ghost stealth just kicks all kinds of ass.
I've watched several videos but this is as good an example as any. Terrible character models, especially the face. Appalling lip-sync. Wooden animations. And all the gameplay criticism stands, as it's just a third-person cover shooter. There is no "tactical element".

For anyone that is into this style of game it's great that Ubisoft is putting the effort in to make the PC version look better. But I'd still like to see them return to the original Rainbow Six, which really did have a lot of tactical elements. Games like Vegas 2 were playable but shallow.

Sorry, but I just donít see where you getting that the models are terrible. The faces could look a little better, but for the most part they look fine, and I have seen far worst in some of the newer games that are out now. And truthfully, how often are you going to stop and just is there and watch someone face? Not much!

As for the tactical element and the cover and fire. I donít see how this is a problem. This is how itís done in real life, no one is a loner that can sit there and have their health blasted to bits and expect to live. Running and gunning is a thing of the past now. Gamers wanted the tactical element in their games and thatís what you get now. I just donít see the problem with it.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 26, 2012, 22:18 Darks

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 21:44:
Although the game supports DX11 it stills looks terrible in all the videos I've seen so far. Further, the game itself is highly derivative and the gameplay looks incredibly dull. So while I'm sure it's better than the respective console versions I still wouldn't consider buying it, even if it was on sale for 85% off.

On the otherhand, Far Cry 3 looks to be very promising. Ubisoft may have shitty business practices but it has a lot of talented developers. I just wish they could nail the final 10% that turns a good game into a great game.

PS - Isn't it time that Ubisoft ditched the Tom Clancy brand? There are so many original concepts left to explore in game design that it's a complete waste to keep rehashing the same shit year after year.

I have no idea what videos you are watching, but they must be shit. Because Iíve been playing the hell out of this game and its kicks ass. Coop is a ton of fun and the game looks great. The game feels like a mix of Vegas and Ghost Recon. I love the tactical element. The ghost stealth just kicks all kinds of ass.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 21:04 Darks

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 20:36:
OMFG... MMO rip-off lameness just hit a new all-time low

My thoughts exactly. i saw this and laughed.

News Comments > "38 Studios Spouse" Speaks
37. Re: Jun 13, 2012, 18:54 Darks

Kosumo wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 18:12:
Smellfinger wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 17:38:
ASeven wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 16:36:
The only tragic thing is that there's now families who are in dire straits and are not to be blamed for this mess.

I feel no sympathy for someone who can't hack it in the entertainment industry and goes on the dole because they can't do anything practical. The American economic toilet is clogged with computer jockeys who produce nothing of intrinsic value. Hopefully a percentage of the ones who lose work in the decaying video game industry become productive members of society by taking up a trade or going back to college to become something useful like an engineer.

Totally agree, having 3 kids, a wife, a dog and a cat and working (trying to support them on the one wage) in the video game side of the entertainment industry is totally asking for trouble. And moving across the country for the job? - is that cos it's his dream job or is it the only one he could get?

It's sad but I'll save my tears for children getting killed in wars zones/drone strike.

Kosumo, you are a pig. Sorry, but stereo typing anyone in the gaming development business and saying that you have no sympathy for them all because they are in a business that you deem unstable or volatile is absolutely absurd. This happens to many people not just in the gaming business. It happens to everyday folks that take a chance to work for a company that is supposed to be reputable and stable.

Again, youíre an asinine pig and I hope you choke on those pixels.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
12. Re: Sips Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Jun 12, 2012, 19:42 Darks

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 19:34:
I really would love to get into this game but looking at the gameplay videos I am just overwhelmed by the amount of stuff you gotta do. I've never played the original sins.

Trust me, its not as bad as youi might think. its a bit of a learning curve at first but after a few games you will be all in to it and wanting even more.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
9. Re: Sips Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Jun 12, 2012, 18:41 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 17:20:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 16:41:
It's about time. I'll start a large scale map tonight, and fill that bitch with starbases! Slow Advance + Turtle = satisfaction. :o

I also like how a normally slow game like this can still deliver panicked worry.

A massive enemy fleet jumps into your gravity well. Your defenses are overwhelmed, your starbase is giving them hell but it's shields are collapsing under the strain. Your rescue fleet is a couple jumps away, an eternity during a battle. Will they make it in time? Will you lose that expensive starbase? Will they glass the planet?

Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 17:09:
Seems odd they didn't reach out to Sins owners and there is no demo. $40 is asking a lot in my opinion and I'm more comfortable waiting at this point.

I'll go watch some Let's Play video's and see if I can't "try" the game that way.

Sins owners got early beta access and $10 off the preorder.

I canít begin to tell you how many times Iíve felt that panic when playing. lol! Good shit indeed!

Love the game, I was on the beta and played it in the earlier stages, it played really well and didnít lag, Iím hoping the final version is just as good if not better In this area.

1816 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo