Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1774 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content
2. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content Aug 2, 2012, 11:41 Darks

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 10:57:
Ghost Recon is dead to me.....

Iíll bet you havenít even played it have you?

Iíve been playing this game Coop with a friend of mine and itís a really good game. The action is over the top. The story is actually pretty good to.

Donít mind people saying they donít like a game, but to complain before even trying it is non-sense.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
26. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:33 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:31:
There's no way Bethesda can do a proper STALKER, but it could definitively be worse. I'm just glad we'd get another STALKER. The game was all about atmosphere and harshness. Bethesda's games are super easy and always fully bright. My favorite feature of STALKER was the complete darkness.

I don't belive Bethesda will be making this game, most likley they will be the publisher.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
48. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 21:12 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 20:20:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 19:56:
Prez, I will keep on harping this tune until you get sick of hearing it. If youíre to fucking stupid to get it through your thick head that HARDWARD has everything to do with performance then you are lost cause. I know all about the limitations of this game and it only using one core. Again moron your hardware has everyone to do with performance.

Hardward has everyone to do with performance huh? Funny how you jumped my shit for a small gaffe meanwhile you keep spitting them out in your nerd rage. Well, you keep arguing a point I'm not making, probably because you have no answer and are just trying to save face now. You are wrong, not about hardware in general (a point no one is arguing but you persist because you have nothing else), but in this particular case, you are comptetely wrong and you KNOW it, hence the childish lashing out, and knowing that is enough for me. Good day, matey.

Vote Prez for Idiot!!

46. removed Jul 27, 2012, 19:56 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 28, 2012, 13:04.

43. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 17:05 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 02:10:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:11:
blah blah rant rant

Why are you being such an asshat about this?

First you said the game doesn't slow down, that they "fixed" it.
Then you said our systems are too old.
Now your saying we're all trying unreasonable settings.

You can't even pick an argument. The conversation moved on to ways to help people with lag issues but you just had to keep fighting it, that we're all apparently doing it wrong. I guess all the mod developers incorporating lag optimizations are doing it wrong too?

You want specs? Here's some damn specs.

Intel Core2Quad Q9400 OC'd to 3.2GHZ
MSI Twin Frozr 2 OC Edition 560 Ti
8GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
Game running off an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

More than exceeds the hardware requirements for the game. The game, as I have said before, that has hardware requirements of systems from 6 years ago.

Slowdown occurs for people on MEDIUM maps with SMALL fleet size option set and 4 AI. After 4-5 hours or so the lag becomes so bad it's like playing in slow motion. Again, it doesn't matter if this runs fine on your system, your experience is not universal. I don't even play large maps as it takes too long to finish and it gets too slow. This same rig runs BF3 on High detail with smooth FPS.

Go stand in front of a mirror and congratulate yourself that you don't have issues. Accept that MANY people have slowdown issues and are NOT making unreasonable requests of the game. Enjoy your copy of Sins Rebellion. And finally please exit the thread with the realization that you are making ZERO contributions to the conversation. Good day sir.

Edit: One more note in case you think I'm trying to attack the game or developers. I LOVE The Sins series. I've purchased each entry, and barring a debacle like Sword of the Stars 2 I will purchase the next Sins game without reservation. When the developer says implementing multicore to fix performance issues is too expensive and time consuming for an expansion I take their word for it, just as I do when they promise the next full sequal Sins2 will have a new modern engine.

Nega,

I hear what youíre saying, but what you are explaining to me is exactly what I have been trying to get most of you to understand. And that is in my experience that the userís pc is inadequate to handle those larger maps and long drawn out games.

Believe me or not, I play on maps of 60 planets on average. Our games last well over 5 to 6 hours in one sitting. We play with larger fleets, no pirates. I have a mod where you can build up to 34 Capital ships and we max that out. And we do not lag down at all. And that is with the ai attaching in unison with two and sometime three ai in one planet. There are hundreds of frigates with just the one fleet alone.

Iím not being an ass about this, Iím telling you all our experience and some of you want to dispute that. Well fine, dispute it, but I willing to put it to the test. Just say the word. But Iím still going to say that if the game lags out then you need to look at your own pcs setup and connection because your pc probably canít handle the excessive load being put on it.

This engine may be old, but that does not mean it doesnít require a lot of horse power to run the game smoothly.

Dispute it not, but im willing to put this one to the test.

38. removed Jul 27, 2012, 01:11 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 27, 2012, 09:45.

32. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 20:22 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:21:
Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

I had to check my original post - "55" hours should have been "15" hours. I think I had 55 on the brain because my Steam stats showed I had played Rebellion for 55 hours. Still, I don't understand how length of game even matters - the late game lag is ridiculous, and it occurs in every single random large/ huge galaxy once there are several large empires with huge fleets roaming around. *EDIT* And this is in Rebellion. It has not been "fixed" by any means, since fixing it would mean optimizing the engine (which is shared between both Trinity and Rebellion) to use more than a single core of your cpu, something which Iron Lore themselves have said they don't have the resources to do. The best that can be done is the same thing that was done with the original, which is making various tweaks that lessen the load on the cpu.

Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums. Holy shit that was stupid. Playing a strategy game for over 10 whole hours is asking for trouble? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, do people even think before they type anymore?

And seriously - we are STILL throwing around the goofy "your hardware must not be up to snuff" excuse? Really? Is that a mandatory response every time someone mentions a problem in any possible game?

Oh gee Prez, I guess you type fancy, color me impressed.

Throwing around hardware is not up to date as an excuse. That to me sounds like a cop out on your part. And yes Hardware does and always has made the difference. If you havenít figured that out then you are dumb.

OK, so Iron Lore? Really? Iron Lore? How about you go back to playing Titan Quest and come back when you have a clue about what game you are talking about.

25. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 13:18 Darks

Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

That was my point too, anyone even trying to get a game to last that long is just asking for problems. I donít think thereís way possible a game could last like that. I recall one guy saying he built a map with over 200 stars. First off, with the limited amount of ships that can be built this is plain stupid to even try and attempt. Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

I crack up when I see people complaining about the game and it lagging and then find out how their game is setup up and the amount of planets they are trying to play on.

Sins is a great game, better than most I have ever played. But itís also a resourse hog too when it gets in the later stages of the game. I think many donít have a system capable of sustaining the game in a longer game. Which is why they are having the issues they do.

My system is as follows,

ASUS P7Z68 Deluxe
8GB Ram Corsair Vengeance
NVidia GTX 580
Intel i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz not over clocked

Again, no issues at all.

21. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 09:59 Darks

Bhruic wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 04:42:
InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 03:40:
I was thinking of getting this (never played a single Sins game before) but the setting looks to be quite rich and well realized and the different factions are quite cool. All this talk about an end game bog down is giving me second thoughts....

It mainly happens on larger maps with larger numbers of opponents. If you play on medium or smaller, you really won't notice it.

Of course, playing on large maps with large numbers of opponents is fun, so it's a bit of a drag not to be able to enjoy them properly...

Again, I am going to say this. The lag you guys are all talking about was something that happened with the two prior games. Rebellion for me has not had any of those late game slowdowns or lag. The original Sins was horrible about the lag with games after about 3 hours into a game. Rebellion does not have that, its been fixed.

I play just about every night with two other friends and we play on maps with 55 planets and three other AI on Vicious mode. Those games usually last us around 5 to 6 hours. Never once do we get the lag.

If you try playing a game with 100 plus planets and 6 AI then yes you will probably get lagged down at some point. But who really wants to play a game that long to begin with. thatís is not a feasible way of playing any RTS game and with any RTS game out there if you try playing a game for 30 or more hours then I would fully expect it to lag down or have memory issues.

Sins may be designed so you can attempt those kinds of games but in reality they are not feasible. Anyone who thinks they are is just fooling themselves and looking for trouble doing so.

4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:44 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
The power of Steam.

It's an ok game but having owned Diplomacy already it's a pretty underwhelming expansion. For someone going vanilla sins to Rebellion it would be a good purchase. Considering how much they were charging for it multicore support should have been added to the engine. The lag gets really bad on any large or long game.

Now use that cash and get going on GalCiv3.

You might want to check your pc or get a better internet connection. I play this game regularly for at least 5 hours at a time. And we never get any lag. Iím not sure what your system is running, but the new engine they came out with for this game has the game running pretty damn smooth.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
11. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 Darks

McSterls wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:10:
Diablo III DRM was too much for me, I won't buy another game that requires always-on DRM.

Same here, I got burnt once after the debacle D3 gave us. I gave them a benefit of the doubt but never again. D3s persistant online connection and the problems its presented has shown a lot of people that this is not the way to go for games.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
10. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 Darks

Double post.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2012, 15:54 Darks

Microsoft just does not understand how the user thinks or feels. Or for that matter how smaller companies and larger companies in general think. Microsoft needs to take a few steps back and look at the bigger picture. I seriously doubt they have talked to businesses in general to see how they budget for upgrading their operating systems.

My company for example will not upgrade to this OS. The reason being is cost. We as a whole have over the past 6 months started upgrading to windows 7. No company is willing to dump a bunch of money into a new OS they just upgraded to in the first place, windows 7 being the example. Compatibility issues are a big reason. Most companies are not willing to jump in and buy a new OS until itís been on the market at least two years when drivers are available and third party applications are compatible with the OS.

This is where Microsoft is failing, they really need to listen to the customers and stop and think that releasing a new OS should only come about every 5 to 6 years. Plus, they are trying to wow people wit the touch feely look of it and that is not working for a standard desktop platform.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Community Day Contest; Trailer
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Community Day Contest; Trailer Jul 18, 2012, 15:45 Darks

First off, this game is only PVP. secondly. free my ass. Nothing is ever free. there are built in stores to sell you items. Thats a fail for me.  

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 15:42 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:18:
The sheer GALL of IGN to question Metacritic is fucking astounding. The existence of metacritic isn't ruining the game industry, IGN, it's fucking shitholes like your own websites that will sell review scores for more advertising dollars.

Creston

Really Creston, so youíre telling me that when a user goes in there and totally bombs a score to Zero, thatís a justified score because the user is being a jerk and purposely bombing the score because they didnít like the game? Like Verno said, games a subjective to the persons interest and like. When someone purposely goes in and gives a game a zero that cannot be taken seriously by anyone.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 15:36 Darks

First off, I never, ever read or listen to any metacritic scores. I could care less about them. I always go off of what I know about games and the publisher and the game play videos I watch or comments from my friends. Anyone who makes a purchase solely from metacritic or any other reviewer is a fool.  

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
37. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:15 Darks

rist3903 wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:08:
this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves.
The integrity of the game and economy has already been completely and utterly boned by the flood of gold farmed by bots.

If blizzard was doing their job by actually fixing the game and monitoring for the MFers running bots and banning them there would be no need to limit logins. As for Inferno, well thatís a travesty in its self. I must have killed 2000 Goblins now, and most of the time id-ing an items turns into shit. The stats are atrocious most of the time. The whole random stating to items after id-ing is ridiculous. Totally broken.

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
33. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:05 Darks

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:52:
eunichron wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:12:
KS wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

At the same time though, if the gold AH was anything like sane, nobody would be spending money on the RMAH, and blizzard wouldn't be making 15 bucks off of a 100 dollar video game weapon.

Which bakes my noodle...

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON A VIDEO GAME WEAPON. A FEW LINES OF CODE AND A FUCKING PIECE OF ARTWORK THAT IS STORED ON A SERVER SOMEWHERE.

Ahem. Sorry I'm under control now. But the idea that it's actually happening is just f*cking crazy sauce to me.

Dude, you express my exact feeling about this game and the AH. Itís utterly stupid how it is on there. It drives me crazy when I see how much people are asking for an item. I put items on there for 5 dollars and still they donít sell. So Iím like how in the hell is anyone really making anything off the AH.

The other part of this that drives me bananas is the Inferno difficulty. Blizz absolutely refuses to fix it, and they have even admitted that itís broken.

So now they want to limit our logins to a certain amount of times per hour. Great!, all my brother and I do for an hour or two is login, run the two areas in Act 2 for Goblin kills and log back out. So now they want to fuck us over on that too. Awesome!!

All they want is to FORCE us to spend money on items. Sorry not me!!
More nails in this coffin please! Where oh where are you Torch Light 2?

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
4. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 14:55 Darks

yea, theres all kinds of hell going on there with them. I have a contact there thats very close to this project and hes telling me its not good at all. Wont be much longer until this game is either free or shut down.  

News Comments > Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter
35. Re: Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter Jul 13, 2012, 15:06 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:56:
Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 14:16:
Before this thread descends (further) into name-calling, I do think there is merit to both sides.

Crowd funding is something of a free-for-all and if you don't like what they're doing, don't join the crowd.

Kickstarter, however, implies the impoverished little guy, who needs a kick to start their project.

I'm all in favour of this sort of thing (when properly labelled). Anything which takes creative control away from the creatively bankrupt publishers is a good thing, however, I can see that this isn't what the Kickstarter ethos is for many people.

That's exactly it. That's like that KS by Thomas Jane yesterday. He wants 600k...are you kidding me? He's rich already. KS is not for multi-millionaires who don't want to risk any of their own money. It's for people who have zilch and a good idea. I really don't want to see KS devolve into a place where rich and/or successful companies/people who can actually afford to fund their own projects but simply don't want to so they ask everyone else. People who really need the resources shouldn't have to compete with that nonsense.

Thatís what I was trying to relay across Cutter, Iím all for Kickstarter too but not when a developer is purposely trying to put the burden on the consumer and not pull it from their own pockets. To me thatís BS. You sometimes get the feeling these guys are only trying to line their own pockets.

1774 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo