Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1645 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup
4. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 12:17 Darks

The drama never ends. Amazing, people need to grow some thick skin, there are better things to bitch about then some add-on to the game.

Also looking forward to the game, I must have put in at least 100 plus hours playing this with friends. Coop should be even more fun with this one.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:20 Darks

Boring PVP, why not two player Coop?

And the price tags for pc games are getting out of hand. 60 bucks? Ill have to wait for a sale.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2012, 15:27.

News Comments > Wargame: AirLand Battle Announced
1. Re: Wargame: AirLand Battle Announced Aug 10, 2012, 14:26 Darks

Bought this game, and really tired to like it, but I just canít get over the crappy camera and the micro miniatures units. You have to zoom in to see the units in all their glory but zoomed in the camera is total shit. Plus the game play really is not all that great to begin with. Limited on what you can do and pre buying units is shit. What ever happened to the old RTS games we used to love so much? That formula is still the best.

I wish they would go back and fix Act of War so it will work with Windows 7 x64. I know thereís ways to get it to work by limiting the memory and rebooting your pc but that gets old after a while.

A re-release of this AOW on Steam would be perfect.

News Comments > Zeschuk's Changing BioWare Role
5. Re: Zeschuk's Changing BioWare Role Aug 10, 2012, 12:36 Darks

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 11:44:
Is this the move that will make Bioware start sucking less?

This is not surprising at all, I know Greg, I used to send him emails about SWTOR and at times he would reply but in the past 6 months, he stop replying back to me about the game. I kind of got the feeling that he or they at BW or EA were getting to the point of I donít care anymore.

So this does not surprise me one bit. And why the game is now going free. Greg failed to deliver on the game and now he looks like shit to the rest of BW and EA. Heís probably in some kind of mental melt down which is why heís taking time off.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Info Incoming
11. Re: Diablo III Patch Info Incoming Aug 9, 2012, 12:10 Darks

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:38:
El Pit wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:51:
I know ActiBlizz sold like a gazillion copies of this game. I wonder how many people are still playing it after one playthrough.

No idea but my Steam list used to consist solely of "In Non-Steam Game Diablo 3" but now it's down to like one old college buddy. I do know a few people who still "play" but only do it make money using the RMAH. There will have to be a lot of substantial changes to get the game where it should be.

Do you mean fixing Inferno mode after Act 1? Because Acts 2, 3 and 4 are all screwed up. Over the top difficulty. Getting one shotted with 36K health is BS. there are far too many mobs that hit like a Mac truck and melee characters cannot stand up to that kind of punishment. Itís pretty bad when you have some of the best gear in the game and over 2K life on hit and still canít stay alive. Either Blizz is too stupid or just doesnít care to fix it.

Iíve completely given up on the game until itís fixed or blizz comes to their senses. If itís not then Ill just keep moving on playing other games and wait for TL2.

News Comments > Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled
3. Re: Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled Aug 8, 2012, 10:48 Darks

Dev wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:27:
I dunno why they couldn't have done a kickstarter for this. If its F2P then surely it has premium currency, just offer like 4 times normal currency for participation in the kickstarter. If they already have the license, and all they need is funding, why not give it a try?

^ --- This

News Comments > Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year
5. Re: Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year Aug 7, 2012, 15:48 Darks

Jivaro wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 15:25:
My first thought: A side scrolling brawler...wtf....*facepalmheaddesk*

After I watched the trailer...I am even less optimistic.

I loved the first two Sacred games...I am not feeling all that optimistic about Sacred 3 at this point.

Same here, I loved the original games. Coop was very fun, but this game is total shit. What a disapointment, Ive been waiting on Sacred 3 and this is the crap we get.

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
22. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 13:33 Darks

ledhead1969 wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 12:10:
the problem with this game is the engine. It is horrible in every aspect. Standalone and it will be considered but if it is anywhere close to the current engine I have other games to fill my time.

I feel the same way; I really tried to like this game. Have tried several times to play it Coop with friends but in the end, the game mechanics just plain suck. It was always a task to try and do anything. I canít see this being any better now that itís going to have a dedicated team and its own standalone process. In the end itís still going to be terrible. Good in concept but bad in presentation. I just canít see myself wasting money on this.

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
3. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 10:59 Darks

Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!  

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
4. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 11:31 Darks

It just kills me that they go to the trouble of putting DRM into a game that is only costing 12 dollars to buy. Plain nonsense that they even worry about protecting a game thatís this cheap.  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Change Plans
16. Re: Diablo III Auction House Change Plans Aug 3, 2012, 17:24 Darks

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 15:03:
Don't know why Blizzard bothers, no one is playing this POS any more.

LOL, hardly anyone at least. But the best thing they could do is get rid of both Auction Houses completely. They have utterly ruined the game.

Both AHs are so over inflated itís not even funny, how anyone can seriously think that someone going to buy anything costing as much as people are trying to sell them is mind blowing. I watch items and they will sit there and expire. But people still insist and try to sell items that are far over priced.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content
2. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Patch/Content Aug 2, 2012, 11:41 Darks

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 10:57:
Ghost Recon is dead to me.....

Iíll bet you havenít even played it have you?

Iíve been playing this game Coop with a friend of mine and itís a really good game. The action is over the top. The story is actually pretty good to.

Donít mind people saying they donít like a game, but to complain before even trying it is non-sense.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
26. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:33 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:31:
There's no way Bethesda can do a proper STALKER, but it could definitively be worse. I'm just glad we'd get another STALKER. The game was all about atmosphere and harshness. Bethesda's games are super easy and always fully bright. My favorite feature of STALKER was the complete darkness.

I don't belive Bethesda will be making this game, most likley they will be the publisher.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
48. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 21:12 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 20:20:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 19:56:
Prez, I will keep on harping this tune until you get sick of hearing it. If youíre to fucking stupid to get it through your thick head that HARDWARD has everything to do with performance then you are lost cause. I know all about the limitations of this game and it only using one core. Again moron your hardware has everyone to do with performance.

Hardward has everyone to do with performance huh? Funny how you jumped my shit for a small gaffe meanwhile you keep spitting them out in your nerd rage. Well, you keep arguing a point I'm not making, probably because you have no answer and are just trying to save face now. You are wrong, not about hardware in general (a point no one is arguing but you persist because you have nothing else), but in this particular case, you are comptetely wrong and you KNOW it, hence the childish lashing out, and knowing that is enough for me. Good day, matey.

Vote Prez for Idiot!!

46. removed Jul 27, 2012, 19:56 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 28, 2012, 13:04.

43. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 17:05 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 02:10:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:11:
blah blah rant rant

Why are you being such an asshat about this?

First you said the game doesn't slow down, that they "fixed" it.
Then you said our systems are too old.
Now your saying we're all trying unreasonable settings.

You can't even pick an argument. The conversation moved on to ways to help people with lag issues but you just had to keep fighting it, that we're all apparently doing it wrong. I guess all the mod developers incorporating lag optimizations are doing it wrong too?

You want specs? Here's some damn specs.

Intel Core2Quad Q9400 OC'd to 3.2GHZ
MSI Twin Frozr 2 OC Edition 560 Ti
8GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
Game running off an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

More than exceeds the hardware requirements for the game. The game, as I have said before, that has hardware requirements of systems from 6 years ago.

Slowdown occurs for people on MEDIUM maps with SMALL fleet size option set and 4 AI. After 4-5 hours or so the lag becomes so bad it's like playing in slow motion. Again, it doesn't matter if this runs fine on your system, your experience is not universal. I don't even play large maps as it takes too long to finish and it gets too slow. This same rig runs BF3 on High detail with smooth FPS.

Go stand in front of a mirror and congratulate yourself that you don't have issues. Accept that MANY people have slowdown issues and are NOT making unreasonable requests of the game. Enjoy your copy of Sins Rebellion. And finally please exit the thread with the realization that you are making ZERO contributions to the conversation. Good day sir.

Edit: One more note in case you think I'm trying to attack the game or developers. I LOVE The Sins series. I've purchased each entry, and barring a debacle like Sword of the Stars 2 I will purchase the next Sins game without reservation. When the developer says implementing multicore to fix performance issues is too expensive and time consuming for an expansion I take their word for it, just as I do when they promise the next full sequal Sins2 will have a new modern engine.

Nega,

I hear what youíre saying, but what you are explaining to me is exactly what I have been trying to get most of you to understand. And that is in my experience that the userís pc is inadequate to handle those larger maps and long drawn out games.

Believe me or not, I play on maps of 60 planets on average. Our games last well over 5 to 6 hours in one sitting. We play with larger fleets, no pirates. I have a mod where you can build up to 34 Capital ships and we max that out. And we do not lag down at all. And that is with the ai attaching in unison with two and sometime three ai in one planet. There are hundreds of frigates with just the one fleet alone.

Iím not being an ass about this, Iím telling you all our experience and some of you want to dispute that. Well fine, dispute it, but I willing to put it to the test. Just say the word. But Iím still going to say that if the game lags out then you need to look at your own pcs setup and connection because your pc probably canít handle the excessive load being put on it.

This engine may be old, but that does not mean it doesnít require a lot of horse power to run the game smoothly.

Dispute it not, but im willing to put this one to the test.

38. removed Jul 27, 2012, 01:11 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 27, 2012, 09:45.

32. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 20:22 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:21:
Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

I had to check my original post - "55" hours should have been "15" hours. I think I had 55 on the brain because my Steam stats showed I had played Rebellion for 55 hours. Still, I don't understand how length of game even matters - the late game lag is ridiculous, and it occurs in every single random large/ huge galaxy once there are several large empires with huge fleets roaming around. *EDIT* And this is in Rebellion. It has not been "fixed" by any means, since fixing it would mean optimizing the engine (which is shared between both Trinity and Rebellion) to use more than a single core of your cpu, something which Iron Lore themselves have said they don't have the resources to do. The best that can be done is the same thing that was done with the original, which is making various tweaks that lessen the load on the cpu.

Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums. Holy shit that was stupid. Playing a strategy game for over 10 whole hours is asking for trouble? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, do people even think before they type anymore?

And seriously - we are STILL throwing around the goofy "your hardware must not be up to snuff" excuse? Really? Is that a mandatory response every time someone mentions a problem in any possible game?

Oh gee Prez, I guess you type fancy, color me impressed.

Throwing around hardware is not up to date as an excuse. That to me sounds like a cop out on your part. And yes Hardware does and always has made the difference. If you havenít figured that out then you are dumb.

OK, so Iron Lore? Really? Iron Lore? How about you go back to playing Titan Quest and come back when you have a clue about what game you are talking about.

25. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 13:18 Darks

Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

That was my point too, anyone even trying to get a game to last that long is just asking for problems. I donít think thereís way possible a game could last like that. I recall one guy saying he built a map with over 200 stars. First off, with the limited amount of ships that can be built this is plain stupid to even try and attempt. Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

I crack up when I see people complaining about the game and it lagging and then find out how their game is setup up and the amount of planets they are trying to play on.

Sins is a great game, better than most I have ever played. But itís also a resourse hog too when it gets in the later stages of the game. I think many donít have a system capable of sustaining the game in a longer game. Which is why they are having the issues they do.

My system is as follows,

ASUS P7Z68 Deluxe
8GB Ram Corsair Vengeance
NVidia GTX 580
Intel i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz not over clocked

Again, no issues at all.

21. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 09:59 Darks

Bhruic wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 04:42:
InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 03:40:
I was thinking of getting this (never played a single Sins game before) but the setting looks to be quite rich and well realized and the different factions are quite cool. All this talk about an end game bog down is giving me second thoughts....

It mainly happens on larger maps with larger numbers of opponents. If you play on medium or smaller, you really won't notice it.

Of course, playing on large maps with large numbers of opponents is fun, so it's a bit of a drag not to be able to enjoy them properly...

Again, I am going to say this. The lag you guys are all talking about was something that happened with the two prior games. Rebellion for me has not had any of those late game slowdowns or lag. The original Sins was horrible about the lag with games after about 3 hours into a game. Rebellion does not have that, its been fixed.

I play just about every night with two other friends and we play on maps with 55 planets and three other AI on Vicious mode. Those games usually last us around 5 to 6 hours. Never once do we get the lag.

If you try playing a game with 100 plus planets and 6 AI then yes you will probably get lagged down at some point. But who really wants to play a game that long to begin with. thatís is not a feasible way of playing any RTS game and with any RTS game out there if you try playing a game for 30 or more hours then I would fully expect it to lag down or have memory issues.

Sins may be designed so you can attempt those kinds of games but in reality they are not feasible. Anyone who thinks they are is just fooling themselves and looking for trouble doing so.

1645 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo