Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1778 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
160. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 13, 2013, 14:37 Darks

First off, letís be clear about this. I never once told anyone that they had to buy this game. My defense of this game came from people piling on the hatewagon of this game before anyone had even played it. There have been some screen shots released showing off the Xbox version. And yes I think some have even got the extent of purposely trying to smear this game.

But I never once said, you all need to go and buy this game. Sorry, do not put words into my mouth. I know what I said. And I stand by it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:47 Darks

Tumbler wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:58:
Watched the Giantbomb quicklook and while the game didn't look amazing I thought it looked acceptable. Maybe a point less than homefront. Homefront had a lot of the same issues I'm seeing in this game but that was a while ago so maybe this one is being judged more harshly.

Looking at Metacritic Homefront got a 70 and this game seems to be getting a 45-50. Seems like a 50-60 might be more fair but meh, can't say I really care one way or the other.

I thought I saw a comment on destructoid that the press had been shown a "demo" that shows gameplay that isn't in the game? Wasn't clear if he was saying they created a demo specifically to fool the press and then sold a totally different game? Or if it's just content that isn't in the full game?

This is not the first company to put up a tech demo and not have any of that in a game. Itís done all of the time. When will people stop over reactive when something is not in a game that you saw in a demo. Movies do the same thing all the time too. How many times have you watched a preview and never seen that scene in a movie? Lots!!

GB was just showing off the game and what it can do, this is NOT something that new or that they are trying to deceive the public about. Read the fine print, there are clauses in there about how this is review material and is subject to change.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 12:44 Darks

Trevellian wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:18:
I'm not going to waste my time arguing with anyone here. So I won't be back to respond, have fun hating on a game you probably haven't played.

I just wanted to say I've fully enjoyed the 5 hours me and friends have put into the Coop. I don't know what version of the game reviewers got to play, if they just copy pasted their reviews of the console version to the PC out of laziness or what. I haven't run into the issues of AI being incredibly stupid or getting stuck on things at all. Of course, we're also not playing on pussy girl retarded reviewer difficulty, we're playing on Ultimate Badass.

Because of this I can no longer take any review for this game seriously as long as I see a HUD on their screenshots/video. If they have a HUD, they're playing on pussy girl easy reviewer difficulty to blow through the game as fast as possible.

Ultimate Badass mode has no health indicator, no armor indicator, no on screen ammo counters (Except for the digital readout for each clip on the side of the Rifle), no on screen radar unless you pull out your scanner manually, this is the way the game was meant to be played IMHO.

I have not had any issues with the game being boring, in fact I'm pretty sure there were quite a few shrieks going across our Teamspeak last night during coop. The game atmospherically keeps the Aliens feel.

To Summarize:
It's not the best game ever, but it certainly deserves better than what it's being given by review sites that are looking for Call of Duty in Space and have no appreciation for the Aliens IP. In fact I am sure half of the reviewers who review it are to young to have even grown up with Aliens enough to even understand what the atmosphere should be like, and if they're playing on anything other than Ultimate Badass they're doing it wrong.

Same here Trev, we played exactly the same way you did and none of experienced any of the stated issues by others. UB mode is the only way to play this game. I posted in the previous thread our experience last night. And thatís about all Iím going to say about this.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
149. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 Darks

I have refrained from posting anything here, because most of you have come to the conclusion without even playing one second of the game that itís bad. I keep reading, I heard, or I read or I had a feeling. Okay, so now everyone bases their gut feeling off of hearsay. I can tell you now after playing Coop last night that this game is being unfairly reviewed and bashed on.

Everyone I played with last night all said the same thing, they cannot understand where all of the hatred for this game is coming from. We played through the first half of the game; it took us 4 hours to get through that. And All I can say is that I was not disappointed at all with what I saw or experienced.
Did I see AI acting Quirky or getting stuck? No! Was the AI attacking us like they should be, yes!

Did we see horrible 2005 looking graphics, again NO! Now, I have heard that the console version has issues, but we saw none of those. I did not see the guy giving CPR to the NPC head. Can stuff f like that happen, sure. Itís a scripted event, sometimes the placement gets moved or this could have been caused by the player pushing on the NPC too. I have seen this happen.

The thing I really liked were the environments; I really think GB got this down really well. The Colony looked great, and the sewers were pretty awesome looking, and creepy. There were a lot of areas that were straight out of the movie. The Alien walls looked right on par with how you would expect them to be from the movie. The Music was perfect, right out of the movie. A lof the weapons were perfect, the pulse rifle sound was exactly like it should be. I know the ones in AVP 2010 were not, they all sounded different. Same goes for the Smartgun it was as it should be.

We played the game on Ultimate Badass mode, and the Aliens were no joke, we died at least 30 times that I can remember, we felt that we wanted to have the aliens as deadly as possible and they did not disappoint. Iím not going to get in to a debate with you all about this, and Iím not going to argue with you all, if you hate the game based on hearsay then so be it. Thatís your choice. All I can say is that the reviewers did not review this game correctly, nor did they give this game a chance.

I want to point out an area that I saw a video on, with a suicide alien I saw. When I saw the video I was like, WTF, why did he not attack and why is he upright, well after playing through that area. I now know why, and now makes sense to me. This is a special alien and this is the way they are designed. Itís a mutated version of them from the Processor blast.

When I read someone saying they played it for three mins and that was it. I have to wonder what kind of gamer you really are. There is no way anyone can properly determine that this is a good game after three mins. I also want to point out another comment about the Aliens and there only being 5 points to shot at and hit. This comment made no sense to me, there are more than 5 points to attack an Alien, and you can shot off their heads, arms, and legs. All of this will causes platter acid damage if you are nearby. Were you expecting to shoot off their fingers?

All I can say is that we had a great time playing the game last night. I had to see for myself if all this hearsay was true, and I found out for myself that it was not. The graphics are no way near as bad as some are trying to make this out to be, the textures were not top notch but they were nowhere near low grade either as many are trying to make them out to be. The MP Coop was very stable, we had not one issues in the four hours of anyone getting disconnected or crashing. Is the game perfect, no! But itís what I was hoping it would be a fun game that I can enjoy playing Coop with friends.

Hate the game or love it, there will always be two sides, but all I know is that the reviewers did not give this game a chance, and I do like this game better over the AVP 2010.

I have seen worsts game than this one get better reviews. Iím not going to respond to the critics, this will lead nowhere. This is what I felt about the game and I personally like this game and so did many others I talked to and played with.

I know some of you were wondering where I was just so you can jump on the bash Darks bandwagon. Again, this is the last you will hear from me on this. I personally feel that if many of you at a later date go back and play this game will have a different opinion about the game and feel that you were unjust in your comments. Then again, maybe not for some of you. But thats how it goes. All I know is that I played it and many of you did not, so that makes me the better judge right now on the game.

My personal take is that the game deserves at least a 7.8

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 11:40.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
69. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 9, 2013, 18:15 Darks

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 15:55:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 14:25:

Pretty sure none of those games listed had four player co-op, they're also all pretty outdated.

AvP1 has 8 player coop. And if you copied the singleplayer maps to the custom map folder you can play the entire campaign with other players (although it was limited to fighting versus aliens.

It wasnít exactly as easy as just coping over the maps. There were a lot of limitations on those maps. Doors and locks would not work. The maps had to be edited to make a lot of things work correctly. I should know, Iím the one who released the modified coop maps with around 500 Aliens per map.

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 14:20 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 13:24:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 13:14:
Excuse me, but thereís a big difference when people agree and disagree compared to the constant whining and bitching thatís been occurring here. Donít confuse the facts. And I do believe there are many others here who share that same sentiment.

In no way do I believe the game will be perfect, but some of the constant complaining Iíve read here is beyond the norm. So lets just agree to disagree shall we?

People posting things about the game's flaws isn't bitching just because you say it is.

If you want to agree to disagree, how about you stop thread shitting whenever someone posts an opinion you don't like? You claim to have played the game at E3 so maybe try telling people something positive about it other than "its great, you all suck you stupid whiners blah blah blah".

Also there is no way you get to play the high road card when you came into the thread posting this crap:

Oh gee, another thread for everyone to sit in and bitch about the game.

If the fucking shoe fits than wear it, got it Veron? I post what I did because of the same shit like this. Got it??

8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 13:14 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 13:09:
Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 12:58:
There are a ton of streams out since the console version leaked the other night, people can watch some and judge the quality for themselves. I think the SP looks really mediocre and clunky, I haven't seen any MP videos yet other than the official videos.

Anyone know when the embargo lifts? The critical response to this will be interesting.

Watching isn't the same thing as playing. I do tend to agree about the single player campaign from what I've observed though. I think more than anything else I wonder how this game was so long in development.

Oh gee, another thread for everyone to sit in and bitch about the game

Welcome to the internet where people don't always agree with you. If you just want mindless cheerleading then go to the official forums. Personally I learn a lot more about a game from other users likes and dislikes so I welcome all feedback, good and bad. I'm a lot more likely to buy a game I've heard both the pros and cons on.

Anyways getting back on topic, are the console users all staying off PSN/XBL to avoid a ban or are some people showing the MP off?

Excuse me, but thereís a big difference when people agree and disagree compared to the constant whining and bitching thatís been occurring here. Donít confuse the facts. And I do believe there are many others here who share that same sentiment.

In no way do I believe the game will be perfect, but some of the constant complaining Iíve read here is beyond the norm. So lets just agree to disagree shall we?

2. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 12:51 Darks

Oh gee, another thread for everyone to sit in and bitch about the game.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut
19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut Feb 8, 2013, 11:28 Darks

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 11:22:
The reason why this game doesn't work is the developers want to make a FPS when that is anathema to what worked in the films. The Aliens were deadly because the humans were at a disadvantage and victim of their own hubris and of greed in general. To make a good Alien game you have to be at a real disadvantage.

In Alien they were trapped on a spaceship where even wounding the alien could literally kill everyone onboard, with no weapons but makeshift flamethrowers and prods, and with the smartest person onboard dedicated to killing them. In Aliens they were crippled (they had to use shotguns and flamethrowers), then they lost all their equipment and had to hole up in enemy territory. In Alien 3 they were on a prison planet with no weapons.

Aliens games want to go "Yo, dude, check it out, you've got a smart gun you can fire with impunity" while ignoring that the marine's firepower being castrated was essential to the atmosphere.

And I said textures, not character models. The texture work is very spotty and this isn't a surprise considering they reused assets from a game initially cancelled in 2001. It might improve as the game goes on and more of Gearbox's work shows.

Ill tell you want Redmask, go find the funding to make your own game, then build it and present it. lets see if you can do a better job since you seem to be an expert.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut
18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Contact Trailer - Extended Cut Feb 8, 2013, 11:24 Darks

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:59:
Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 10:26:
An Aliens Walkthrough

I take it back, this looks WAY worse than I thought initially. The texture work looks like early first wave console games. The Aliens are a joke, it feels like a Call of Duty mod or something. I normally try to look on the bright side of things but this just looks terrible. 20 seconds in and a ragdoll gets stuck in the level geometry, horrible VA, consolized gameplay

Those graphics look way better than people are making it out. Seriously, the character models look fine. Anyone saying it looks like a game from 2002, or even from the launch of the 360, does not remember what games looked like then.

And yeah, it's a bit annoying that the AI friendlies take about a billion shots to kill something, but trust me, it's more frustrating if they're as deadly as you are. This guy was killing most people in one burst (what difficulty is this?) And he was ALWAYS lagging behind his AI teammates. If they were more deadly, he wouldn't be killing anything. He'd just be watching the friendlies kill.

Which is why friendly AI almost never manages to be deadly - it becomes them playing instead of you. Given that no room had a huge amount of enemies, I think it was fine that they were killing ~15%. It bugged the crap out of me in Call of Duty, where you'd be fighting 100 guys and they'd kill 5, but here? If they were as deadly as this guy wanted he wouldn't have been playing a game.

The things he complains about seem fine to me. The thing he praises, the level design, seems problematic to me. Clear room, walk into next room, clear room, walk into next room, clear room, walk into next room. It's Doom 3 without closets.

Hey Beamer, How ya been?

Dude, itís pointless to try and argue or even convince these guys of anything. They all seem to have it in their heads that the game is shit and it wonít be worth a damn.

Thatís fine, Iím done trying to convince or even argue anymore with them. Itís their lose. I know I will enjoy the game and thatís all that really matters. Iím in this game for the Campaign Co-op with my friends.

I personally donít get how anyone thinks or can even comment that the graphics look dated. I donít, I think many here donít know the back ground on this game and how it was started about 5 years ago and how it almost didnít get made because of finance issues and Sega pouring all their money in the Aliens Vs. Predator.

I have personally played this game at E3, and I loved it. It was what I expected and have been wanting in an aliens Game for years. Coop with friends. And there was no better timeline to pick then the one from the second movie.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines "Bug Hunt" DLC Revealed?
51. removed Feb 7, 2013, 16:48 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 8, 2013, 07:23.

49. removed Feb 7, 2013, 16:35 Darks

* REMOVED *

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 13:28 Darks

Trevellian wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:03:
Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:59:
I don't know, I respect your opinion Trev but it's more or less the same as I remember it being since I started reading in like...2001ish? I had a different posting account back then but lost the password to my old account/email after changing jobs. It's funny, I read Ars and people there say "Arsians are sooo negative about XYZ", I read SA and people on there comment that "SA goons are the worst!" type stuff. Same story at Giantbomb forums even.

I've found Blue to be pretty open when you report posts and etc, I'm sure if you guys take a small sampling and pass them on, he would act on it if there is a real problem. Too often though I find it's just a difference of opinion and one person blames the community at large for a minority of comments or opinions.

Honestly? I can't find my happy place for reviews anymore. It's not just Blues, it's everywhere. Trolls have become far more abundant in the past few years and it makes the Internet less amusing for me.

Mostly I just do Rock Paper Shotgun because I like their method of pointing out the pro's and cons and not giving a numerical rating, they just tell you how it is and let you formulate your own conclusion based on it. I feel that is how a review should be, otherwise people skip to the end to see 7/10 and decide the game "Isn't good" because it didn't get a 9.

But I digress, Blues isn't a review site. I just get tired of all the negativity surrounding EVERY single game that is announced here, before anyone knows anything about it. And if someone does want to buy something like Aliens they get told "You're wasting your money because I think it looks stupid." Borderlands 2 went through the same thing here at Blues and it's a GREAT game. And it is the reason I have no problem giving Gearbox my money for Aliens CM. They are bringing over the same Drop in Drop out Coop, a Left 4 Dead style mode called Escape. I play these games coop, I don't play them for single player. The amount of fun I will get out of playing it 4 player far outweighs the small cost I may pay that someone doesn't deem the game worthy of because they watched a video or two.

I just feel like this place has become known for overwhelming negativity towards people who are excited, about what? Games. That is why we all come here right? If you don't like games why are you here, what makes someone else's dollar more important than another's that they feel the need to belittle other people here for wanting to play a damn game. Certain people need to get over themselves. That's all I'm saying.

Awesome, Someone who understands and feels the same way I do about this and whats been going on. Thanks Trev!

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 7, 2013, 11:23 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 11:12:
He's right though, you just admitted buying it on hype alone long before the brunt of the preview material was even out. Amusingly you're angry at people for making up their own mind, just coming to the opposite conclusion.

Something tells me that if people were just lavishing this game with praise you wouldn't be posting "STOP GUYS, we can't judge it until its out!".

People here like Aliens for the most part, that's been my observation anyway. So they tend to be very forgiving of flaws and if they are still saying that this looks lackluster, well....I don't think that bodes well. I'm still not sure why you care so much either, does their lack of purchase or enjoyment of it somehow affect you? No it doesn't so chillax

Wow, you guys really are some lost puppies. I never once said I bought this game on hype. The truth is, I bought it for two reasons, Coop being the primary reason because we have LAN parties twice a month and our group is big on Coop games. Secondly, itís the Aliens universe; I have bought each and every game that has been released over the years. So why should his game be any different in my purchases?

Again, you all assume way too much.

18. removed Feb 7, 2013, 11:05 Darks

* REMOVED *

13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 10:27 Darks

TheDevilYouKnow wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:15:
Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:44:
TheDevilYouKnow wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:11:
HORSESHIT !

Yes ,I said it. As a loooooongtime gamer ( since DOOM on a floppy disk,original ATARI console etc...) it is sad to see such great movie franchise milked for all it's worth as a video game franchise being EA'ed to death. I'm not buying this one.

Vote with your hard earned dollar folks...let them know this is crap treatment of us and the franchise.

The only horse shit here is yours and many others attitude towards a game you havenít even played yet. That is the biggest joke here. So fucking what if thereís DLC, if you want to get right to it, itís all you sorry asses who bought and paid for the DLC many years ago for Oblivion.

yes they pretty much started the DLC trend and now everyone is doing it because you all caved in and bought it. Now you all want to sit around and bitch about it like a bunch of old ladies. Seems very hypocritical if you ask me.

Put your money where your mouth is Darks...

I already put my money where my mouth is, I bought the game several months ago. Okay?

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 10:24 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 10:08:
Darks wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:44:

The only horse shit here is yours and many others attitude towards a game you havenít even played yet.

Err, they think it doesn't look good, that's not an attitude, it's just an observation and opinion. You're just angry because you like it and others don't. Your comments works both ways too, you seem awfully defensive about a game you haven't spent much time with either.

No Verno, Iím not defending the game I think I made it pretty clear in previous posting about the attitude of many people here that seeming do a lot of bitching and whining.

My defense with this game comes from the fact that no one has put one second into this game, but many here seem to think they know best and have come to the conclusion that the game already sucks.

I never once posted that I like this game or Iím going to like it. What Iím defending is the fact that too many people have come to the conclusion just because they think itís going to be bad that it is a bad game.

And again, there has been too much emphasis on graphics and textures.

To me that is Absolut nonsense when I sit here and read those comments. I think some of you need to go back to your consoles and leave pc game alone if your that unhappy with pc games.

7. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Feb 7, 2013, 09:44 Darks

TheDevilYouKnow wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 09:11:
HORSESHIT !

Yes ,I said it. As a loooooongtime gamer ( since DOOM on a floppy disk,original ATARI console etc...) it is sad to see such great movie franchise milked for all it's worth as a video game franchise being EA'ed to death. I'm not buying this one.

Vote with your hard earned dollar folks...let them know this is crap treatment of us and the franchise.

The only horse shit here is yours and many others attitude towards a game you havenít even played yet. That is the biggest joke here. So fucking what if thereís DLC, if you want to get right to it, itís all you sorry asses who bought and paid for the DLC many years ago for Oblivion.

yes they pretty much started the DLC trend and no everyone is doing it because you all caved in and bought it. Now you all want to sit around and bitch about it like a bunch of old ladies. Seems very hypocritical if you ask me.

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
9. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 10:07 Darks

I know many people bash on John Romero, but at least the guy still has passion for making PC games. Too bad he left Id, I think had he stayed Id would be a better company and they would still be making PC games.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 1, 2013, 09:18 Darks

No matter what they do, Gun control will never fix this. We are all engrained with killing, this all goes back to Cain killing his brother with a rock. We are all dammed in this way. Someone will always find a tool for the job, whether it be a gun or a knife or axe. Taking away guns will only make them look elsewhere for the weapons, and all this is doing is promoting a black market for weapons.  

1778 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo