Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1815 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service
10. Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service Apr 26, 2013, 09:17 Darks

I watched the video of this last night. I saw their new game pop up on steam and thought oh, and new RPG I missed. Then I saw that lame ass video and then saw the comments about buying the game for 39.99 and then pay 15 dollars a month to play it. I went, screw that shit, NWO just came out, why I would pay for this shit when NWO is free and looks way better.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wargame AirLand Battle Next Month; Preorders Get Beta Access
3. Re: Wargame AirLand Battle Next Month; Preorders Get Beta Access Apr 26, 2013, 09:05 Darks

Same as the original, I love this developer; they made RUSE and Act of War which in my RTS book are some of the best RTS games out there, but this one. bad camera angles and you feel like youíre playing with a bunch of micro miniature units. Donít care for that feel at all. Plus thereís no base building. Supplies run to way to fast. You canít build new FOBs to try and speed up the Conquering process; you have to run back and forth to the original ones you placed. The list goes on and on.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game Apr 24, 2013, 15:32 Darks

SirKnight wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 00:02:
Lorcin wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 21:12:
Hey Aliens? Star Trek is trying hard to make you look better:

This is graphics fail - no screenshot can make your ears bleed like Chris Pine's voice acting does

Looks like Spock found a new and interesting way to mind meld.

hmm, maybe someone should play the game before jumping to conclusions about the clipping. the game has a non-clip to it so the players pas through each other so you donít have issues with the AI standing in your way of a door blocking your progress.

But I will say that at least ACMs coop worked on release day, unlike this game where itís completely broken.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island Riptide Apr 23, 2013, 22:52 Darks

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 21:04:
For anyone who's played the original DI, was co-op ever fixed? I do remember there being a big issue where people weren't able to connect to each other or if they did, sometimes they would get booted out a few minutes after connecting.

At the time, it was very annoying to not be able to play with friends and I pretty much stopped playing at that point. I also don't remember getting any new updates for the original DI so I'm not sure if that was ever fixed. There were a lot of threads about this issue with no replies from the developer. It's a shame because the game seemed like it was fun but just the general bugginess of the game stopped me from playing after a while.

Yes, Coop was fixed, played all the way thru it with a friend. Been playing this one too. I like many of the new fixes and changes to the UI. It feels a lot smoother now. And you can fricking wheel mouse to change weapons now. Game looks great too. and plays the same as before. But the guns now feel like they have more hitting power. Took down a Thug with no problem at all with an AK.

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
2. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 09:26 Darks

Your up early Verno, you east or west cost?  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
2. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:24 Darks

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:21:
Fucking bummer, I hope it wasn't some shit house IP holding company or (god help us) EA.

You didnít seriously for one min really think this IP would go unsold did you? If so you were only fooling yourself.

And yea, I hope some lame ass didnt buy it up either.

News Comments > Bethesda Tease
6. Re: Bethesda Tease Apr 16, 2013, 16:30 Darks

Cutter wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 15:56:
If it's not FO wtf knows because it sure as shit isn't TES.

Why would they do another Fallout or Oblivion game when the MMO is coming out soon? It would not make any sense for them to do that because it would only diminish their efforts to hype up the MMO.

I would expect them to be working on a new IP. I would love to see them make a Terminator game with the Skyrim Engine. That would be killer to have a Hugh open world with Terminators running around all over and trying to survive.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: Some Don't Like BioShock's Forced Baptism. Enough To Ask For A Refund Apr 16, 2013, 13:39 Darks

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 12:56:
MajorD wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 10:35:
IT'S A VIDEO GAME for cryin' out loud!!! The game forces you to kill people too in order to progress through the game, but that's okay? Let's put things into perspective here you morons, and get a life!!!

Well, on one hand, I could see some of the "dumbed down" people arguing that they shouldn't have to make this choice and should be able to just mow their way into Columbia.

But that ruins all the story, all the prologue, goes against anything your character would do because at this point he isn't expecting violence and isn't the one that starts the violence, and your character isn't happy about the baptism, either.

Plus, who cares? People can dunk me in the water, that doesn't mean anything about me has changed (which may be a theme...)

Maybe the issue is that the guy in the story is too stupid to understand that not every game is a role playing game. In some games you play a role. In some games you control one aspect of an already defined character on an already defined path. You aren't Booker DeWitte, you're someone looking through Booker DeWitte's eyes.

While, I agree choice would have been nice. But on the other hand this guy is a total looser at the same time. He complains about a moral choice about being baptized, but he was perfectly willing to run around Columbia killing people.

Now someone explain to me how thereís much of a difference in that? in fact, I would argue that itís even more damaging as a Christian to kill then to be baptized. At least being baptized you are being washed of your sins. Unlike killing someone.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC "Half-Assed" - PC Prioritized for Sequel
75. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 13, 2013, 00:11 Darks

And neither do you, Ignored!!  

71. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 23:30 Darks

Redmask, Ill tell you like I told you before piss off!  

68. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 20:33 Darks

Unknown Soldier wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 20:28:
Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 15:20:
Itís another when a game is released and its utter shit and almost beyond playability. That is Dark Souls, Utter shit.

This is the part of the haters' argument I just don't understand. I had zero issues with this game other than the crappy resolution, which was fixed by a user mod. Once the mod was in place the game looked great and ran great. I put 150 hours into this game and it never crashed on me once. I can't think of any real glitches during gameplay either. It just worked fine. How is it that other people had such a completely opposite experience?

Mods may have fixed issues with this game, but mods should never, ever be a final solution that makes the game better.

61. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 16:28 Darks

Drayth wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 16:18:
Good god, Darks.

You're also the guy who thinks the ArmA series is complete crap. Funny one of the most PC centric games out there gets ragged on by you.

I think with you it boils down to, "Game complicated. Can't make work. Dumb game.".

Ironically you sound more like the target audience for console gamers.

'Nuff of this no where debate for me.

Yep, youíre right; I own both of their games. I even bought the new ARMA 3 because I got a really great deal on it. I love military shooters in general.

Honestly dude I really, really tried to like that game but it was so damn buggy, scripts failing to execute. Missions broken. The player movement feels like crap. And donít tell me itís not. Even the new ARMA 3 has fixed many of those issues because of the complaints. Yea, it does have a big following, but that is mainly because of the new zombie mod thatís out for it. Otherwise the game would not be as popular as it is now.

Iím, giving ARMA 3 a chance but only time will tell if they get it right this time around.

57. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 16:09 Darks

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 16:00:
Things aren't going well for you here Darks, maybe take a step back for a moment and get some perspective. I understand you really liked A:CM and were upset that most of the general press/public didn't but that's life. I've held minority opinions before too and get it. It's not really a comparable situation to this game though. Most people who liked it have been pretty up front about its faults so I don't really get your complaints. Worse, insisting that everyone plays games the same way you do is juvenile and not going to get you anywhere, it's also against the open/customizable spirit of PC gaming in general.

Getting angry and just lashing out at people (even if provoked) just nullifies any legitimate point you're trying to make too.

Incidentally if you actually wanted to play it with a KB/M, there are some fixes for it. If not, fair enough.

Seriously Verno, Where did I ever tell anyone that they needed to play a game like I wanted them too? I never once said that, if you all assumed it then thatís your misjudgment. If you all donít like how I come across on defending a game they sorry, but thatís how I feel. I stand, by my comments and will keep on doing so.

I made it pretty clear that I donít care for developers trying to turn the pc into a console but you all seem to think that fine and dandy. So in the end, you get what you all expected then, some dumbed down ported over game. Iím a pc extremist. I wholeheartedly stand by the pc and feel that the pc should never be turned into a raging console. When someone comes here and tells you use a controller to play it, thatís when I get pissed off.

Youíre trying telling me that Iím telling people how to play their games yet, you all except dumbed down pc games that almost require a controller to play them with. And you feel thatís okay?

54. removed Apr 12, 2013, 15:54 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 12, 2013, 18:37.

50. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 15:20 Darks

Jivaro wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 14:59:
I just got finished reading this thread, beginning to end...and something jumps out at me. My memory was jogged and I recalled a previous thread regarding Aliens CM.

Darks said:
It is not that Iím defending the game; Iím just getting tired of all the negativity when it comes to pc games in general here at Blues. Itís becoming a routine here listening to whinny assed people bitch about pc games in general when there are not a whole lot of them to go around as it is.

That's you Darks, a while back when I asked why you were defending Aliens:CM so adamantly even though by that time it was quite clear how poor of a game it really had turned out to be at release.

Funny how when it was a game you liked you were "just tired of the negativity", but now it is a game you don't like and people are "console freaks" and you are on the attack, as negative as anyone in the thread.

So which is it? I mean with Aliens:CM we had a game where the developers insisted it was a high quality game. The previews showed footage of graphics and gameplay that didn't even make the final cut. People weren't just angry because the game came up short of expectations (myself included), they were angry because they felt deliberately misled. Here with Dark Souls we had the developers admitting to being a bit lost with the PC port before the game even released. Turns out they were right, and many people (myself included) were pretty uptight about some of the problems. That said, I don't know about you but I prefer the honesty angle. Not only that, I am more likely to believe them now since they owed up to the shortcomings before whereas Gearbox was nearly silent and in some cases defiant.

I do know one thing for certain however. In both situations fans have had to come up with their own solutions to make the games (somewhat) more enjoyable, and in both cases they did. Why? Because they were on a PC and they could. The PC platform is uniquely capable of allowing the gamer to tweak and fiddle with things until they can play the game exactly how they want to. (You as a modder are well aware of this) Whether they are using a controller or modding the game settings or whatever, I have no idea why you would hold that against anyone, regardless of whether you liked their game of choice or not. That freedom, that capability, is what makes the PC the superior platform.

Given all of that, ripping into people for choosing a controller as a matter of personal preference seems to fly in the face of exactly what it means to be a PC gamer. Heck, given what you have said previously in other threads, ripping into someone for simply liking a game you don't, despite it's shortcomings, seems a bit hypocritical.

As for Dark Souls 2, I have enjoyed this franchise since Demons Soul on PS3. I chose not to buy the game on PC because of the porting issues and instead stayed on PS3. I don't pre-order or Day One gaming purchase anything any longer, but I expect that I will be picking up Dark Souls 2 on PC shortly after release unless the initial reviews report yet another crappy console porting job. I really hope it is done well. This is a franchise that was meant to be on PC and I would love a chance at playing with a mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: And yes, I did buy and play Aliens: CM. (Well actually, I bought it for my stepson and played it when he wasn't) And for the record, I didn't find it as bad as the Internet would lead a person to believe, I did find it underwhelming and substandard in many ways...all of which many people have already beaten with a stick, so I don't need to. Bums me out that this franchise has so much trouble with the video game market.

Hey Jivaro, First off there is a fricking Hugh difference between these two games. Secondly I donít need you quoting me from a past thread. I know what I said and I stand by all of those comments unlike some of you bitches here who jump on bandwagons when the need fits you.

Many of you here went well overboard on ACM making it out to be a worst then it was, and recent patches have fixed many of those complaints by many of you here. Itís one thing to complain about a game that is missing a so called feature in the environments. Itís another when a game is released and its utter shit and almost beyond playability. That is Dark Souls, Utter shit.

And btw, my bitch about controllers is simply this; people do NOT spend thousands of dollars on a PC to slap a fricking controller on because a game does not play very well with a Mouse and KB. That is BS when a game like DS is released and a developer tells you use a controller if you want to play it.

I could care less what people do on their pcs. My main gripe is developers trying to turn the pc into a over price console and many here feel that that is ok. And itís not, and because of that attitude this is what we get handed to us piss poor released console ports.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2013, 15:26.

35. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 13:09 Darks

Talutha wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 12:49:
Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:26:
Sorry, but excusing a controller to play a pc game is total garbage. I did not spend a bunch of money on high end pc hardware just so I can excuse a ported game to be played on my pc. Sorry, but thatís absolutely crap and should never be tolerated. I did not buy a pc to turn it into a shitty high-end console.

This is such a silly statement. I don't use my PC for gaming because I want it to be a "shitty high-end console". I use my PC to have more tools available to me. I can choose my own voice chat, I can choose how much power I put into my games with hardware, and guess what? I can choose why kind of control scheme I want to use!

If you want to be stuck in your KB+M only style, that is your choice. Personally I prefer to use the control style that is the best for the actual task at hand. If you refuse to play games like Need for Speed or Street Fighter with your KB+M, that's fine. I'll go enjoy the games because I have the tools that make for a better game experience, which is what PC gaming is all about. Right?

I'll never understood why putting a controller in your hands suddenly makes you a bad PC gamer, and thankfully its a trend that seems to be slipping away. Maybe one day you will get over your odd hatred for controllers. If not, that is fine. I will be out enjoying video games while you complain.

Regarding the port: I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Yes, it could have been MUCH better especially with the frame rate limiting but thankfully someone tossed out that 60fps fix right as the game came out. I loved it and I absolutely cannot wait for DS2 to arrive!

Apparently you have a very low standard when it comes to playing PC games if you thought this game was good. Be careful of what you wish for, this has been a growing standard with games over the years. Low end pc ported games that you all suck up to and claim are great.

Iíll keep a tab on those who claimed the game is good. What really kills me too is many of you here claimed how bad ACM was. But in comparison ACM is a shining jewel compared to DS. It makes me wonder sometimes about some of you and jumping on the hate bandwagon when it came to that game.

29. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 12:30 Darks

AngelicPenguin wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 12:28:
Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:46:
Whatís offensive to me is when some junkie kid screams about needing controller support for a pc game. Yes that is offensive. You want to play with a controller go play on your console. Itís that simple. If you donít own one, then stop trying to turn your pc into one.

It's really so hard to understand that some games play better with a controller? FPS, RTS, etc play infinitely better with a keyboard and mouse, flight sims and space games play better with a joystick, and 3rd person fighting style games (batman AA/AC, darksiders, dark souls) play better with a controller.

You use the right tool for the job.

Spoken like a true console freak!!

27. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 12:27 Darks

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 12:14:
Wolfox wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:39:

That's the beauty of PC gaming. The flexibility when it comes to choice. You can use either a kb/m or controller. What's so bad about that?

Yes, flexibility is nice, but sometimes at a cost. As weíve seen with this game. Havenít tried any of the mods. Not sure I really want to at this point. Especially if the game is still frustrating to try and play with how badly it feels.

22. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 11:59 Darks

PropheT wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:51:
Whatís offensive to me is when some junkie kid screams about needing controller support for a pc game. Yes that is offensive. You want to play with a controller go play on your console. Itís that simple. If you donít own one, then stop trying to turn your pc into one.

Games have been using controllers on PC for pretty much as long as consoles have had them. Joysticks used to be a must-have PC peripheral for any serious gamer. Is it really worth getting mad about what someone else uses on their PC, especially when there's nothing to base the idea on that keyboard and mouse are the only way to game on the platform?

Itís not just about the controller, itís about some shitty developer making their game and porting it out half assed and telling you to use a controller to play it. Or when someone comes in here excusing a half assed game and saying its okay because I can use my controller to play it, because itís not okay.

And donít confuse yourself on joysticks and try to compare them to a controller. Joysticks had a purpose for flight Sims and Mech games. You didnít see people back in the day trying to play Quake or any other FPS game with a joystick. Thereís a big difference and the two cannot be compared.

18. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 11:46 Darks

Wolfox wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:39:
Sorry, but excusing a controller to play a pc game is total garbage. I did not spend a bunch of money on high end pc hardware just so I can excuse a ported game to be played on my pc. Sorry, but thatís absolutely crap and should never be tolerated. I did not buy a pc to turn it into a shitty high-end console.

I'm not the kind of PC purist that thinks that a PC game means mouse + keyboard. I'm also not the kind of PC purist that thinks that, if a game doesn't use every little electron in the high end hardware I bought, then it shouldn't even be there. I'm also not the kind of PC purist that sees game "ports" from consoles as "lesser".

I like games. I have a PC. I don't own any consoles. I just want to play good games, that's all. Does that sound offensive to you?

1815 Comments. 91 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo