Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Francis

Real Name Rick Francis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Darks
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Signed On Apr 1, 2004, 16:54
Total Comments 1884 (Pro)
User ID 20498

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
33. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2014, 12:07 Darks

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 11:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 09:01:
First, thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction to getting out of the Hinterlands. I made it to Fallow Mire last night and that was a far more interesting locale. I picked up a nifty axe and a new friend and the veillight beacon puzzle was pretty interesting.

What is NOT happening in DA:I is that you fight a group of guys, and then randomly 10 more of them just spawn all around you, which is what made DA2 such a horrible piece of shit where combat was concerned. You may have the occasional spawn happen too close to you, but there are no waves of reinforcements.

Well, I can say that the only time I have seen waves come in are those from the Rifts that spawn the demons, but that's about it. And yea, I have seen things or groups re-spawn in that you killed off earlier. Not sure why Bioware elected to do some of that stuff. It would seem that if you cleared an area of Templars that you would only run into the occasional random patrols at times.

As for the wildlife, yes those do re-spawn quiet often, that not a bad thing seeing how the crafting requires certain materials that are needed from those critters.

BTW, has anyone else been crafting items? I really like how this works in the game. its been a really nice surprise to make something that actually is an upgrade.

Over all, still loving the game. I just love all the exploring you can do.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
1. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 10:13 Darks

Bought the first one they came out with, but the game feels to clunky and I really got tired of the weapons jamming. The other thing that bothers me about this game was a Genstealers would be right up in front of you and you would still miss them.

So much for Elite Terminators doing their job.

That got a bit tiresome and frustrating.

I think Ill wait until this one goes on sale with all of the DLC in one nice neat package.

30. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2014, 10:00 Darks

Sorry IB, but those guys who are streaming the game may not even have the game on Ultra. maybe they do. but again, you cant just say the game looks worst then Skyrim, because it doesn't. I've played about 30 hours in now. and I am just amazed at all of the areas you go to and how they look and feel.

Like Verno said, if the game is not for you then that's your call. but you really should pick the game up at some point when it goes on sale and check it out for our self. Bioware really did a nice job on this game. Its not perfect, but its still a really good game and looks great.

BTW, I do have the ENB mod, and yes it makes Skyrim look much better. but it still does not stack up against this game. Again, Videos plays do not do this game any justice.

26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Dec 4, 2014, 09:13 Darks

InBlack wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 03:04:
Ok I gotta say a few things about DA:I after I watched a few lets play videos of the game yesterday.

The game is way overrated. The graphics are waaaaayy overated. Skyrim still looks better with HD mods. Much better. In fact while watching it all I wanted to do was reinstall Skyrim and give it another spin. The action is urgh! No one used the tactical screen for one single second and it didnt seem necessary. The quests and dialogue uuuuugh! What gives?

Then I clicked on a link on youtube and I watched a video of someone playing a preview build of the Witcher3 for half an hour. Holy fuck shit! This is coming from someone who never really liked the Witcher: That game will just be pure awesomeness, just from that one video Im itching to preorder the game, and I NEVER EVER preorder games.

Sorry Black, but for someone who has not even loaded the game up and played one second of it. I'm going to tell you now that you are full of shit about the graphics in DAI. They are better then Skyrim with mods.

How can you even make a comment about the game when you haven't even played it? Looking at YouTube Videos is NOT an accurate way to gage this game when it comes to the graphics. I've seen some play throughs and those do not do the graphics any justice at all. You have to be in the game to really fully appreciate the beauty of this games graphics.

28. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 17:28 Darks

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 16:59:
Why isn't anyone talking about Geometry Wars 3? It's a top contender for my game of the year!

Okay, not really. I guess DA:I is just that good.

Maybe because its a very simplistic game. You just cant compare a game like that to the sheer amount of time and effort it took to develop Dragon Age Inquisition.

You gotta be kidding right jdreyer?

26. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 16:43 Darks

Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 16:01:
gravity wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 14:24:

Hmm.. so, when you're targeting the reticle appears white.
When you're "locked," the reticle goes to yellow, and you 'focus' the enemy (the camera also shifts closer to the ground, based on your distance from the enemy). Basically, goes more "mass effect over the shoulder" looking.

Is your reticle going yellow?

I don't know that I've ever seen that myself, but admittedly I don't pay much attention to being locked, since I play an AoE mage. My attacks will keep going after the same target I've selected even if I happen to turn around.

But the few short times that I ran around as Cassandra, it's almost impossible to keep a decent attack series going with m/kb just because she'll start whiffing almost immediately.

I know what you guys are saying about the melee chars and the combat. trust me that is why using that script where the mouse is locked makes meleeing so much more fun and better. you don't have to death grip your mouse worrying about loosing your perspective when you are engaging. I cant go back to the normal way of playing. This script has spoiled me. Believe me, give it a try you wont regret using it.

12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 13:44 Darks

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 13:14:
Blackwall spec'd down the right side of the Champion tree is unkillable for me in Nightmare. Dude is crazy, ungodly amounts of invuln time + guard. I can't even remember the last time he took damage. I like the spell purge from templar/Cass but I don't like how its PBAOE.

My Archer Rogue is just an absolute monster in terms of damage/utility. Not sure what I will do for a second playthrough. Melee combat is really tedious for me until they patch the game up, I might just do a Rift Mage or something.

My favorite zone so far (without getting into spoilers) is Crestwood. Cool zone quest there and a lot going on plus one of the cooler dragons.

Verno, what are the issues you are having with melee?

Is it the awkward mouse controls with having to hold the mouse button down constantly?

If so, try that script. Trust me, it makes a big difference while playing a melee character with the mouse locked. its an easy to use function to. just right click to activate and right click again to deactivate, its that simple.

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 13:03 Darks

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 11:13:
There's a well known bug that's affecting some people where they don't hear music or party banter. Bioware is having a hard time tracking it down, some things fix it for some people and not others etc.

I had it near the beginning for awhile but something fixed it and I'm not even sure what.

Just watching a twitch stream with Bioware and they said 3 patches are on the way apparently. The first patch should land "soon".

Hmm ok. I have not had this issue come up. had other smaller issues with sound. like the search sound at times not working. but that's about it. So far the game has been very smooth and clean. Ive had no issues or crashing at all.

BTW, my friend at Bioware did inform me that they are looking into adding a mouse toggle feature. so he did say that was coming.

So, if you guys really want the mouse locked, use that script it will make a big difference.

5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 11:01 Darks

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 10:33:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 10:27:
Thanks for tip, Hotkey is a great app for just these things.

So with a couple weeks now... is DA:I holding up all the way through?

Wish they'd fix the party banter bug, I'm holding off starting until that's fixed. Sounds like they're still trying to pin it down.

Which bug are you referring to nin? I've been playing the game for about 25 hours now. and im not sure what you are referring to.

I cant say that I have seen anything out of the ordinary.

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 10:18 Darks

I posted this earlier, but Ill post it again for those who did not see it.

I have a solution for those who cant stand the PC Controls with the mouse not being a toggle feature. For those who know about AutoHotKey. Use this script. It toggles the mouse lock on and off by right clicking the mouse button to turn it on and off. This changes the game entirely making it so much better to play.

Copy this script into a text file and rename the extension .ahk

Google AutoHotKey to download the application to run the script.

I use the middle Mouse Button to jump with, but it is remed out in this script for those who wish to turn it on if you want. del this ; to remove the rem.

Enjoy, you guys are going to love how this works.

#persistent
#IfWinActive, Dragon Age: Inquisition ahk_class Dragon Age: Inquisition
AttackKey = 1
MenuToggle = false

SetNumLockState off

IfWinNotExist, Dragon Age: Inquisition ahk_class Dragon Age: Inquisition
{
;run, D:\Origin\Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\DragonAgeInquisition.exe
}
;MBUTTON::SPACE

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
SendMode, Input

NumLock UP::
Goto, ToggleMouseLook
return

RButton::
GetKeyState, state, NumLock, T
if state = U
SendInput {RButton DOWN}
return

RButton UP::
Goto, ToggleMouseLook
return

+Escape::
ExitApp
return
ToggleMouseLook:
if state = D
{
;SetCapsLockState off
SetNumLockState off
SendInput {RButton UP}
}
else
{
BlockInput, MouseMove

SendInput {RButton UP}
Sleep, 50

SetNumLockState on
MouseMove, % A_ScreenWidth/2, % (A_ScreenHeight/2)
SendInput {RButton Down}

BlockInput, MouseMoveOff
}
return&#65279;

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 1, 2014, 13:56 Darks

I have a solution for those who cant stand the PC Controls with the mouse not being a toggle feature. For those who know about AutoHotKey. Use this script. It toggles the mouse lock on and off by right clicking the mouse button to turn it on and off. This changes the game entirely making it so much better to play.

Copy this script into a text file and rename the extension .ahk

Google AutoHotKey to download the application to run the script.

I use the middle Mouse Button to jump with, but it is remed out in this script for those who wish to turn it on if you want. del this ; to remove the rem.

Enjoy, you guys are going to love how this works.

#persistent
#IfWinActive, Dragon Age: Inquisition ahk_class Dragon Age: Inquisition
AttackKey = 1
MenuToggle = false

SetNumLockState off

IfWinNotExist, Dragon Age: Inquisition ahk_class Dragon Age: Inquisition
{
;run, D:\Origin\Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\DragonAgeInquisition.exe
}
;MBUTTON::SPACE

CoordMode, Mouse, Screen
SendMode, Input

NumLock UP::
Goto, ToggleMouseLook
return

RButton::
if state = U
SendInput {RButton DOWN}
return

RButton UP::
Goto, ToggleMouseLook
return

+Escape::
ExitApp
return
ToggleMouseLook:
if state = D
{
;SetCapsLockState off
SetNumLockState off
SendInput {RButton UP}
}
else
{
BlockInput, MouseMove

SendInput {RButton UP}
Sleep, 50

SetNumLockState on
MouseMove, % A_ScreenWidth/2, % (A_ScreenHeight/2)
SendInput {RButton Down}

BlockInput, MouseMoveOff
}
return&#65279;

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2014, 14:00 Darks

Try 80 degrees here today Blues. San Diego, gotta love it!  

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
5. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 12:18 Darks

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:06:
Darks wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 11:14:
Thats a bullshit policy change. Steam is getting to political.

Seems reasonable to me. Should help keep people from getting ripped off so easily.

If people are getting ripped off then there's a flaw in the way Steam is setup. Making people wait 30 days is not going to change how this works nor will it prevent people from getting ripped off. Steam needs to fix the problem and not put a band-aid on it.

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
1. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 11:14 Darks

Thats a bullshit policy change. Steam is getting to political.  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
5. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 24, 2014, 21:34 Darks

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 20:49:
It's a year and half on and it's still pre-alpha? And how do the expect to go from a $25 KS to $40 pre-alpha? It is but to lolz. And damn...it's fugly as hell to boot.

Trust me, this is about the worst game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. Its absolutely horrendous.

This thing feels like its been programmed by a bunch of low grade hacks. I kid you not.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 14:09 Darks

siapnar wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:03:
Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 11:45:
Actually, you would be wrong Creston, the camera was locked to the char. you did not have to hold down the mouse button to look around. That is what most are complaining about, myself included.
That does sound like a pretty glaring design flaw. Hard to simply claim ignorance on it, too

Really? try playing the game for several hours on end and then come back and tell me how your hand feels after clutching your mouse for several hours. Trust me, its not fun and hurts the hand after a while. That is a very glaring design flaw, and one that should have been addressed.

In fact, I can point out a game that has a great design and its a very similar game when it comes to the over the shoulder viewing of your character and playing. Neverwinter Online. The mouse is locked to the char and turns with the char. When you want to use the mouse cursor you hit the Alt key and it unlocks the cursor.

This is how the game should have been designed.

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 Darks

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 11:03:
Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 10:40:
Kind of like Dragon Age Inquisition too with having to hold the Right Mouse button down constantly to look around and view. Did someone not bring shit up like that saying hey, my fucking hand hurts having to hold the button down all the time?

But that's kind of been the way open world games do camera panning. Skyrim did it this way. Oblivion did it this way. DA:O and DA2 did it this way. I agree that if you do it for too long it'll cause major RSI issues, but I don't fault them for sticking to what's kind of been the default for RPG games for awhile now. (Edit: I'm an idiot, as Skyrim and Oblivion don't actually require this. No idea why I thought they did.)

There are far worse issues with the DA:I UI than that.

Actually, you would be wrong Creston, the camera was locked to the char. you did not have to hold down the mouse button to look around. That is what most are complaining about, myself included.

1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 10:40 Darks

Unbelievable the sheer lack of QAing that's not being done in games these days.

Kind of like Dragon Age Inquisition too with having to hold the Right Mouse button down constantly to look around and view. Did someone not bring shit up like that saying hey, my fucking hand hurts having to hold the button down all the time?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
51. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:52 Darks

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:12:
Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:43:
if you've been playing already, then you've been playing in an online-only way. therefore nothing will be different to you upon launch.

server code will be released if they ever shut down servers.

only furthering this being the biggest kicking and screaming party of the year.

Do you not understand concepts like principles? That most people don't like being lied to? Particularly when there's money involved - and the amount is irrelevant. A man who doesn't keep his word isn't a man. Hey Sully, he lied. Even if they had honestly intended it at the beginning, you can't say they didn't know for a long time now. And that means they've been intentionally misleading people to bring in money. Not only is it immoral, it's illegal.

Well said Cutter,

It will be a cold day in hell before anyone trust these guys again. If they ever try to go Kickstarter again their game is almost assured to be doomed right from the start after lying through their teeth to everyone.

Trust goes a long way, and when someone breaks that trust you might as well kiss your ass goodbye because no one will ever buy into their BS again.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 10:04 Darks

If these guys were forthcoming to begin with this would not be an issue now. I'm having a hard time believing they are giving each person's situation with the thoroughness it deserves.

More like, to bad for you, so piss off.

I'm glad I didn't back or buy this game. Still awaiting Star Citizen, which I think is going to blow this game away.

1884 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo