Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for gerauchertes

Real Name gerauchertes   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 7, 2004, 17:48
Total Comments 242 (Novice)
User ID 20314

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Pathologic Announced
33. Re: eBay scammer Mar 31, 2004, 09:46 gerauchertes

J/K: Right, but that doesn't necessarily prevent innovative developers from breaking any new ground, assuming they can find a publisher willing to take a risk. If the product is solid enough, you don't need the EA or UbiSoft logos attached to it to knock out a homer on the market.

This one is an interesting concept, at least, for whatever that's worth. It's hard to tell from the post whether it's pipe dreaming developers or just a bad translation. If it were Japanese, I'd write it off immediately as a transparent pretense for inserting an "eccentric (thirteen year old) girl" within a nipple-stiffening environment where a chill, haunting wind forever howls past to ruffle an inexplicably donned miniskirt.

Since the old Evil Empire has been doing a lot of good in the gaming world lately, we can reasonably hope they can pull off...whatever the fuck this is supposed to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pathologic Announced
20. WTG Babelfish Mar 30, 2004, 17:45 gerauchertes

Original enemy concept omnipresent, omniscient, invisible infection

Hell yeah, it's original. I don't even know what the fuck that means!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Desert Rats vs. Afrika Korps
1. SimTraffic: Afrika Mar 30, 2004, 17:31 gerauchertes

Judging by the screenshots, the game's biggest challenge is keeping your armor from piling into massive clusterfucks. It looks like they're trying to join together to form themselves into awesome battlebots. Or maybe the AI just blows.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 17:36.

News Comments > The Political Machine Announcement
7. Re: No subject Mar 30, 2004, 17:24 gerauchertes

The "Barry King" show. How quaint.

Make it like real life, and I'll play it. Smear campaigns, questionable donation sources, mysterious plane crashes...this "49 percent of people support/oppose [issue X]; better say yes/no on that one!" shit sounds pretty droll.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Syberia II
1. Huh? Mar 30, 2004, 17:17 gerauchertes

What the hell is an "adventure" game? Is that like some kind of FPS with two endings?

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Video Game News.com review Mar 30, 2004, 12:30 gerauchertes

But PrtScn is, like, way over on the other side of the keyboard.

Or maybe they were having some technical issues with their "loaned" version of Photoshop.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
3. Re: From the SWBF Dev Diary Mar 30, 2004, 12:23 gerauchertes

I don't really hold a grudge against Ewoks and Gungans. I mean, it's not their fault.

Toss in an NPC Lucas wearing nothing but big painted-on bullseyes*, though, and I might actually be tempted to waste money on yet one more steaming pile of Star Wars gaming garbage.

Edit: *and a ball gag.
This comment was edited on Mar 30, 12:25.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Gates and nearly free hardware... Mar 30, 2004, 11:38 gerauchertes

He's already doing it with shitty hardware (Xbox) that loses the company money on every sale that's only recouped via income from the games it runs.

Not many companies can afford to run a business this way, so they'll either be forced to allow Gates to absorb them and their assets or simply fade away.

Basically, it will be however Bill wants it to be. Drop your britches.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
1. From the SWBF Dev Diary Mar 30, 2004, 11:29 gerauchertes

So like, one day, we were hanging around the office playing Battlefield. One of those suits popped up, but he just walked right in before we could ALT-TAB. I thought we'd all be sacked on the spot, but those fucking noob suits, they don't know anything about games! He says, "Ever heard of this game called Battle-Field (that's how he said it, Battle-Field) 1942?" We were all trying not to laugh, and said that we might have heard of it, sure. "Make it into Star Wars!" he ordered. Wads of large bills dropped from his bulging pockets as he left.

We were, like, totally bummed. So we decided to crank this sucker as fast as we could, so we could get back to playing Battlefield ASAP.

I've noticed the promo art features only images from the original three films. At least they've finally realized that the new shit is poison.

One of the five stated priorities for Battlefieldfront: "you must be able to kill Ewoks and Gungans." Does that mean there are going to be Ewoks running around as scenic fodder, or can you be an Ewok? I get my fauna slaughtering/stone throwing fix from Far Cry, thanks.

News Comments > Morning Preview
11. Re: PC Gamer this month Mar 30, 2004, 10:28 gerauchertes

Ha ha. That DMX thing plays sound for you? That would suck.

They should just merge the Thief and Tenchu series if this is the sort of shit they're going to pull. Then no one could complain about the gap between new Thief games; they could just crank on out every month. That would make it a moot issue though, since people would no longer care about when or whether the next one will arrive.

At this point it looks like Thief 3 will be to Thief 1/2 what BoS and DA are to Fallout and Baldur's Gate, except that those were never alleged to be actual sequels. Thief 3 is basically an up yours to fans of the original.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 10:29.

News Comments > New Settlers Game
1. BOOOOOOO-RING Mar 29, 2004, 12:50 gerauchertes

Where the fuck is the new Oregon Trail?

News Comments > Morning Preview
3. Re: Uh Oh... Mar 29, 2004, 11:42 gerauchertes

I was looking forward to this one, until just now...I didn't know it was being codesigned for a toy platform. Nevermind.

Probly should'a guessed, since it's that same DX2 engine. I imagine it'll be revamped, but I can't pass on the opportunity to comment once again on how shitty DX2's interface is.

I understand the economic temptation to crank out versions of the same game for various platforms, but if something isn't specifically designed to take advantage of a single system it always seems to be diluted across the board. I'm about finished with dual console/PC releases.

News Comments > Far Cry Patch
37. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2004, 13:54 gerauchertes

And about the framerate indoors?.. its better then outdoors.

I was wondering about that too, after seeing everyone moan about it for a while now.

I'm running at 1152x864 with everything on max, and everything's smooth in any situation...but I can bump the res up higher and higher while indoors before things start to nosedive, as opposed to outdoors, where 1152x864 is about as far as I can push it.

How the hell is everyone else getting bad frames where mine's at its best, and vice versa?

Also, I can run the demo with all settings on highest at 1600x1200 with no stutter and superb framerate, but I have to notch a few options down to get the same performance at that res in the retail version. This is also completely contrary to what everyone else is reporting. WTF is going on?

News Comments > Consolidation
14. Re: Consoles Vs. PC Mar 27, 2004, 04:28 gerauchertes

There are probably more people playing Windows Reversi (or any of the other windows net games) than Half-Life.

Maybe, if you exclude CS, DoD, TFC and every other HL mod from the equation.

I wish that the PC had the name protection that XBox Live has, as someone has already taken my Battlefield Vietnam name "John Rambo"...

Yeah...good luck ever beating everyone else to that one.

I'd say MMORPG makes up less than 1 percent of online play, because I think over 99 percent of people aren't dumb enough to keep paying to play a game that have already bought.

In spite of your "evidence" to the contrary, it's probably a substantially larger portion of the PC online community playing MMORPG's. It's safe to say they also spend a lot more time at their "hobby" than your average FPS gamer.

Also, keep in mind--and this is one big issue the "PC vs. Console" article failed to factor in--PC MMORPG players often pay more than just the initial retail cost and monthly subscription fee. For example, how many purchase-only expansions are there for EQ (seriously, I lost track)? Pile the prices of the original and all its expansions together with the monthly payments, and you've got some people who've been milked by one game for maybe $500 or more.

You could go a step further and consider peripheral factors like lost wages (calling in sick to camp the Froglok King) or the +20 Whatever you picked up on eBay, but these only provide negligable, indirect benefits to developers (through increasing obsession with their products) and, in light of at least one suicide, could be seen as negatives.

News Comments > Consolidation
11. Re: Consoles Vs. PC Mar 27, 2004, 02:28 gerauchertes

The comparisons are weak, especially since the guy compares the generic 'online' console game vs the niche PC MMORPG market.

Despite the ambiguous title, the article's focus on online fees make it pretty clear the author was specifically commenting on pay-to-play titles (it points out that UT2k4 and such are "quite popular...but those games are free to play").

Concerning only subscription-required games, the article and its title are probably fairly accurate. That makes it not a badly researched piece, just one typed up by a poor author who neglected to state his basic thesis.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 02:31.

News Comments > Carmack at GDC - DOOM 3 "Close"
44. Re: Quake2R and Id being an engine developer Mar 26, 2004, 08:50 gerauchertes

their games have seldom been very original

Unless you're talking strictly about plot, uh...how are you defining "original"?

News Comments > BF1942 for Mac
11. Re: Don't listen to these naysayers. Mar 25, 2004, 15:11 gerauchertes

Yeah. It means that when there's a bunch of drunk fuckers over all fighting for room on my PC's for some '42, the G4 won't just be hanging around like a limp dick.

Tony Z: SimCity 4 ran like a champ on my P4 2.6, and that was before I swapped the FX 5600 with a 9800 XT (haven't even tried it since then). There's really no excuse besides sloppy progamming for it bogging down on a G5.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Revealed
6. Re: OMG! Mar 24, 2004, 14:23 gerauchertes

Yeah. Die by the Sword was dodgy in general, but the mouse mechanics were pretty fucking cool.

I've been hoping for something else like that to play around with for a while, with some expanded control like this guy's talking about. I figured the mouse could control an individual limb or multiple limbs at once depending on certain keys being held down. I can't even begin to imagine how the mouse only could intuitively work the entire body at once (nevermind having it end up as something besides a figure convulsing violently in a freakish heap on the floor), but if he can pull it off: yes.

News Comments > Stalin Subway Announced
11. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 14:00 gerauchertes

This is the second time I've read that the game is set in 1952. For the second time I've thought to myself, why not 51, 53, or 54?

I'm not a student of Communist Russia so maybe someone can enlighten me.

For the same reason that other game is named "Battlefield 1942." Basically, "Battlefield circa 1942" sounds stupid.

Oh. And Stalin died in early 1953. Naturally occurring brain hemorrage...or a destroyable ashtray upside the head?

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 14:01.

News Comments > Stalin Subway Announced
6. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2004, 12:05 gerauchertes

The fact that "authentic weaponry" that's "never been offered in a computer game" is now a selling point could be seen as a bad sign. In case anyone's wondering, the RKG-3 is a stick grenade. Revolutionary.

If you're really trying this hard to set yourself apart from the pack, something like "does not feature Garands or Panzerschrecks!" has more of an impact.

"Key Features" include destroying ashtrays? I read that and inadvertantly inhaled three ashtrays in mid-yawn. Controlling trains, flooding areas...secret labs! And do the screenshots remind anyone else of Goldeneye?

242 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo