Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chris

Real Name Chris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname cento
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2004, 18:55
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 20288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Cancelled Avengers Game Footage
26. Re: Cancelled Avengers Game Footage Sep 18, 2011, 23:50 cento

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2011, 21:03:
That's why that cancelled Marvel game from EA was looking like the bomb. I saw one clip where the Hulk rips a lampost out of the ground and bats Cap through - fucking through!!! - a building! And this was actual gameplay, not CGI. It's the first superhero game I ever saw that looked like something out of the comics with the environmental destruction and what not. That lack of kinetic interaction is always what's bothered me most about superhero games. If I'm the Hulk and I punch someone I want to see them flying backward 20ft and through a brick wall, you know?

As I understand it (talking to co-workers that had friends working in the Chicago studio), none of what the EA game was doing was procedural. All of those assets were being custom built to destruct into hand built pieces, and in the end, it was FAR too costly. The project was over-scheduled and over-budget.

No matter how good of a demo reel that makes, it was a case of throwing money at it as a solution instead of figuring out a smart solution and it helped run that studio out of business.

I have no idea what may be the reasons behind the Avengers game, but am just pointing out that there is a lot of moving pieces to making a game, and that most of us rarely have the full picture. I am sure that even with insider gossip and my own professional interests in how the EA game was going that there are plenty of other factors feeding into its demise of which I am unaware.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy
35. Re: GOG.com: DRM Causes Piracy Apr 12, 2011, 13:52 cento

Jerykk wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:27:
You're assuming that piracy and purchases are mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible for someone to buy a game and then download the pirated version so they don't have to deal with the DRM. If they use torrents, that download gets used in piracy statistics regardless of whether or not they own a legitimate copy of the game as well.

That's pretty much the boat I am in. I have only used a hand-full of cracks or pirated versions, and in every case it has been for a game that I owned. It started with Half-Life 2 when it first launched and Steam sucked. I literally could not play my retail copy I purchased on Day 1 due to it locking up on every load screen while it tried to connect to Steam (and yes I had an internet connection). Within a week, cracked versions were out, and I played through it all on the cracked copy.

After I got a laptop, I acquired a number of pirated copies of games I already owned just so I didn't have to bother with carrying discs around me to play games on my laptop while on business travel. But again, I have no pirated copies of games that I don't have retail copies I also purchased.

And at this point, any game that I hear about that goes too far in its DRM, I won't buy or play at all, not even a pirated version.

Music is a whole different matter. I only buy music from small indie labels now. Anything from a major label I refuse to pay for at this point.

News Comments > RIFT Patch and Event Plans
7. Re: RIFT Patch and Event Plans Mar 25, 2011, 23:21 cento

Acleacius wrote on Mar 25, 2011, 21:35:
What's the server situation, is it possible to find a low to medium population or is there an official Blue Sever? It really kills the fun when 20 people are trying to get THE widgets, from 5 nodes that only spawn every 10 minutes.

They keep updating to make quests more group friendly. And since grouping is so quick and painless...

Seriously, I am one of those players that mostly solos even in MMOs, but as long as you are flagged for public grouping, it is a swift motion to join any group in progress, all share credit for whatever quest mob you are all trying to kill, and then immediately part company, all seamlessly.

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer
5. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer Feb 16, 2011, 13:06 cento

Hyatus wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 11:42:
I think I'd rather them wait on this for a couple years and release it on Saturn instead.

Awesome comment is awesome.

News Comments > Blizzard Date Leak Follow-up
5. Re: Blizzard Date Leak Follow-up Dec 7, 2010, 03:23 cento

Wildone wrote on Dec 6, 2010, 23:29:
They fukin deserve it, for being such stink arses when it comes to release dates leavin fans hangin for what..decades? dickheads..

Games get shipped out before they're done, and people complain about unfinished crap. Games get polished until they shine, and people complain that it takes too long...

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
23. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 11, 2010, 01:57 cento

One of the other big hurdles that console devs face is time. That one would bite Blizzard in the ass pretty hard. You can't just sit on a console title and polish it until it meets a moving quality criteria.

Bottom line (as someone with extensive dev experience in both console and PC titles) is that both have their challenges. To make it sound like consoles are just inherently easier to develop for (or the reverse) is just ignorance speaking.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2010, 00:00 cento

"Promiscuous Women Cause Earthquakes"

When the planet is a rockin', don't come aknockin'?

News Comments > More on Gunhead
5. Re: More on Gunhead Dec 4, 2009, 00:32 cento

I call BS on this anonymous dev story, the tooth fairy sounds more plausible.

I assure you stuff like that is not uncommon in game development.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 00:33.

News Comments > "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG
28. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 14:47 cento

Sci-fi tends to have less appeal than fantasy.

I don't think that is true at all.

Within MMOs, fantasy has been far more successful than sci-fi, but that has less to do with the inherent mainsteam popularity of the genres and far more I think to do with ranges/distances.

MMOs are inherently social, even in PvP play. Fantasy lends itself to close ranges that reinforce that social interaction. Traditional Sci-fi with it's longer range weapons and tech too easily lends itself to breaking down that social bond.

News Comments > "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG
16. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 13:55 cento

they're actually great guys, but they beautifully perpetuate the stereotype when they're all yapping like that.

Contrast that with what dragged my wife and I into WoW...

About a month after launch, we would go out to a night club in San Francisco and our friends at the club were talking about this game. And the bouncers. And the club promoter. And the bartenders. And the DJ... So we got sucked in pretty quick after that.

But not the stereotypes you would think at all...

News Comments > Father of PlayStation to Retire
4. Best News of the Day Apr 26, 2007, 14:26 cento

Time to fall on your god damn sword!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Foxtrot? Dec 7, 2006, 13:17 cento

Yeah, right... Like Bill Amend really plans on getting out and doing other things?

He is so obviously a Warcraft player, and he happens to be quitting dailies just before the first expansion releases??

I think the comic was eating into his gaming time...

News Comments > X-Men Game Talent
9. Re: Hoofah Mar 27, 2006, 21:37 cento

Must be a failure to publicize it's impending release sooner. Most of the PS2 dev team is done with this project and moved or moving on already to other projects.

As I understand it, the game focuses on one character at a time with a lot of effort to really get into the style of THAT character. I also gather that the three characters were chosen for offering really different gameplay styles.

But I haven't played it either, so we shall see...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - KOTOR 2
11. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2005, 17:53 cento

i would have been excited but i have WoW now... sweet sweet WoW

So true. I never got into kotor, but my wife was diehard for that game and really looking forward to the PC release of KOTOR2.

Then I got her to try WoW 10 days ago.

No other game exists anymore...

News Comments > Torque gets Jacked
10. Jacked Jan 27, 2005, 13:50 cento

Funny. This isn't a new name for the game. It is a return to the original name. This is an old 3DO game that was in development when they closed up shop. Jowood bought the partially completed title. That game started development over 3 and a half years ago...

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: not exactly surprising Nov 11, 2004, 19:32 cento

Rest assured that it is true. I know a number of the people personally that have left anon comments in that LJ. They of course posted anon out of fear of reprisal since they are still working there.

And that said, EA is merely an extreme example of an attitude endemic to the entire games industry.

The pressures have been building for a while, and just get worse as the market goes mainstream due to the family strains. This industry is down right hostile to the concept of family...

News Comments > LucasArts Bash
14. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 13:36 cento

And while I am no LucasArts fan, to be fair, not everything they showed yesterday was StarWars. They also showed Mercenaries, but it just wasn't noted in the headlines here...

News Comments > Help Wanted - Game Tester
4. Re: One question.. Jul 15, 2004, 13:27 cento

Union?

Are there ANY union jobs in the game industry?

I have never heard of any...

News Comments > Four Horsemen Still Ride
5. No subject Jun 13, 2004, 13:43 cento

My god...

Just let this title die.

Just let Mendheim die.

3DO needs to remain buried...

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 13:44.

News Comments > Battlefield Vietnam Patch Plans
13. No subject Jun 5, 2004, 12:30 cento

Well, I have played a lot of BFV and BF1942. I still play both heavily, since they really play out as different games.

I have no problem finding large player servers in 1942. Nvidia has been hosting the 64 players servers for quite some time.

In BFV, the sides seem unbalancing at first, but outside the m60 cheese (which is now fixed), the sides really are fairly well balanced just complexly balanced. If you just give it a trial run, you will never know how the game actually balances out because some of the NVA advantages take experience to use well.

There still ARE some issues I'd like to see adressed. Get rid of the parachutes. It is really stupid to have troops drop in from high altitude from heli's over an enemy spawn. It's really kinda gay (though both sides do it, so at least it is fair if stupid). I'd like to see vehicles buffed a little bit. RPG's and LAWs should drop them, but the fact that they die so easily to hand grenades is lame and makes them death traps. And I am sure I still have some more gripes, but it is early and I am still trying to get coffee in me.

But overall, I like the game quite a bit. And the style of gameplay has evolved quickly while the game has been out.

And there ARE jungles. And the jungles really feel more like jungles than any of the other FPS's I have played...

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo