Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chris

Real Name Chris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname cento
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2004, 18:55
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 20288

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter
12. Re: WARMACHINE: TACTICS Kickstarter Jul 12, 2013, 04:50 cento

Seriously, guys - there is no lawsuit coming. Privateer Press has been around for well over a decade, and the IP is well-established in table-top gaming. GW is well aware of who these guys are - hell PP's original Miniatures Director was Mike McVey who is an old school GW guy.

Everything you guys are thinking is something GW would sue over are things that are standard tropes of table top miniature gaming at this point.

Anyway, the guys at Privateer Press are awesome and I wish them the best of luck!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Trion Layoffs
3. Re: Trion Layoffs May 17, 2013, 20:47 cento

Cutter wrote on May 17, 2013, 20:02:
I knew they were full of shit. Yeah, 1 million registered to try the beta and 100 sales.

For all we know, Defiance may have sold 1mil copies. Unfortunately, for a big budget title released to console, 1million sold is NOT a success. For a console title, too little of the revenue actually goes to the developer. And I seem to recall hearing that Defiance's best-selling platform was on 360 - would have been better if those sales were all PC and the profit margin better.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 10, 2013, 18:49 cento

Call it the XBOX Buzz Lightyear?

To Infinity... AND BEYOND!

News Comments > Defiance DLC Plans
3. Re: Defiance DLC Plans May 10, 2013, 02:45 cento

Seriously - why do people keep talking about a monthly fee?

There is none. Talking about one is just a huge red flag that the person in question doesn't actually know anything about the game.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
16. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 11:53 cento

Didn't the latest XCOM have a demo?

Must be why that game did so poorly...

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
49. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 19:52 cento

jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 19:33:
And good talent will live where they can find another job easily, if they want or need to.

This is HUGE. Almost 2 decades of industry time here - if I relocate, it'll only be to another hub, especially as I have a family dependent on me.

**edit** to add: I should note that my reference to AAA budgets were for console titles. I don't know if traditional PC oriented titles would be cheaper, since most of my PC platform dev time is over the last 4 years and THAT is MMO development which is a whole other tier higher in terms of costs.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2013, 20:01.

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
46. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 16:06 cento

15-25mil is COMPLETELY inline with any kind of AAA console title. You want to relocate to a more remote location or structure the deal to pay off royalties or what have you? Cool, but you are severely limiting your available talent pool, mostly down to the people that are desperate or naively hopeful. And good luck getting a quality product out of the desperate and the naive. And for the veteran staff that you are going to want to be your core team - those vets don't want to keep moving around for a job, especially if they have a family. So the talent pool tends to concentrate.

A staff of 10 people is laughably small. It's going to be much bigger, just on actual dev staff alone, not to mention support staff. The last console title I worked on had a budget of $22mil. The one before that was even bigger (much bigger, actually, but also extremely poorly managed and colossal waste of resources).

Anyway, simply put, 2mil doesn't buy much of what most people think of for a AAA console title.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Sep 15, 2012, 18:54 cento

Those saying it is the WORST game trailer must have little context for that statement.

It is bad, however. Even the crappy EQOA "It's time to slay the dragon." schlock is still better than this.

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 16:14 cento

Been in the game industry for 17 years now, through ups and downs, but I can't imagine doing anything else.

In the end, I think many of us find it is part of who we are rather than what we do. I would be designing games even if I wasn't hired to do so. Hell, I _was_ designing games before I was hired to do so - not because I thought it would lead to a job (I honestly fell into it as a profession), but because it is just something I do and have always done, like an artist or musician.

I consider myself lucky to get paid to do what I do, even with the crunches and bad cycles and everything else.I can't imagine working a normal desk job. It makes me cringe.

As far as the "reviews" on Glassdoor? No thanks. It stinks of the old Fatbabies discontent to me. Many of those people are the same people that would be angry no matter where they worked...

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 cento

As a 17 year vet of this industry, having worked on both console and PC games... This article is worthless garbage. Revolting, masochistic garbage.

It is so awful that I feel like I have been trolled into commenting, that something so idiotic could not have been written sincerely.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 03:58 cento

I don't understand why people keep reporting what this idiot was to say...  

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
12. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 22:45 cento

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 21:42:
Are they any closer to releasing Warface in western countries? Warface looks really good for a F2P game but it's only available in Russia and South Korea from what I last read. I'm in the GFACE beta but haven't heard anything about Warface.

Looks like Trion is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLqeb1EB9A

News Comments > Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO
4. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 22:18 cento

Oh don't forget about that last E3 push just before the doors got locked - so many people who fronted the money to go out of pocket and got left with unpaid expense reports. Such a damn disaster.  

News Comments > Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO
2. Re: Digital Chocolate Layoffs? Hawkins Out As CEO May 28, 2012, 20:38 cento

Keep running those companies into the ground, Trip!  

News Comments > 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013?
8. Re: 38 Studios Makes Payment; Copernicus in June 2013? May 19, 2012, 04:16 cento

NKD wrote on May 18, 2012, 23:26:
Vanguard would have been a lot better had the studio not been headed up by a drug addict with delusions of grandeur who wasted a lot of time.

But that describes so many people with power in the game industry...

News Comments > RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans
14. Re: RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans Feb 1, 2012, 22:04 cento

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:54:
Hardly. Talk to me after everyone and their dog is playing GW2.

You have revised your timeline for Rift going F2P yet again? I am so, SO surprised...

And I am actually quite looking forward to GW2, but I also know it is just a game, not the second coming.

News Comments > RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans
12. Re: RIFT Patch and RIFT Lite Plans Feb 1, 2012, 20:55 cento

Plus the additional Slivers, plus the constant flow of world events, plus the new play mode of Instant Adventure (I've done almost nothing but IA in Rift since it released), plus an additional warfront, plus tons of other features ad improvements...

I think Cutter is just mad that his F2P prediction for Rift is a total bust...

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2012, 23:02 cento

Man, if they are this up in arms about a feature that may or may not eventually appear in a game, they will surely have a fit when the next Rift patch comes out that is adding in-game marriages and IS clearly allowing same-sex marriages in the next week or two.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 7, 2011, 01:03 cento

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 00:46:
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Trip was referring to casual gaming, not hardcore/enthusiast...

I don't think any of us that have ever worked for him care what he was talking about. He can still go fuck himself gently with a chainsaw.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month
18. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 23:49 cento

How's that prediction on Rift going? Wasn't that FTP in 6 months too? Oh, wait, Rift is still going strong...

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo