Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1973 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2012, 05:15 Kajetan

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 20:06:
If you want to support a developer in the mainstream market, you have to buy it new in the first couple weeks of release. It sucks that the industry is set up that way, but that's just the reality of it.
Dont find it arkward when the customer has to support a flawed business model?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL
26. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 13:05 Kajetan

MajorD wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 12:57:
From what I have seen so far with Windows 8 and the whole Metro thing, it just looks flat and clunky IMO.
Metro is not that bad, if you are on a tablet, using your fingertips to navigate and start programs. Metro on the desktop is stupid, just utterly stupid.

News Comments > Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL
25. Re: Microsoft Not Dropping GFWL Apr 17, 2012, 13:01 Kajetan

MisterBenn wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 12:47:
You know that MS will come up with some "incentive" to upgrade, such as DirectX 12 only being available for Windows 8...
Which helped Vista soooo much.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
15. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 14:25 Kajetan

Wildone wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 11:11:
Dissapointing BF3 sales?!? Are u effin kiddin me????!
Dissapointing TOR sales on the other hand, i believe. This game has its fan base and will keep on having its fan base, but considerung the high dev costs, this fan base seems way too small to reach profitability.

News Comments > Rune Revival?
15. Re: Rune Revival? Apr 16, 2012, 03:40 Kajetan

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 20:35:
Good luck with that.

Skyrim is a damn hard immersive experience to beat with (roughly) the same settings.
Skyrim isn't an action game. It's gameplay compared to Rune is very slow. Skyrim hasn't any multiplayer features at all.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
13. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 15, 2012, 17:16 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 17:14:
Message to Bioware, old school RPG's can still sell.
Message from Bioware to RollinThundr: "We do not care. We make billions selling out to the mainstream, we don't need your money anymore!"

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
12. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 15, 2012, 17:14 Kajetan

Icewind wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 16:33:
I don't understand the outrage.
I'm a backer of this project and i don't like the idea of exclusive content. Leave that bullshit to the majors. I want the game to be complete for everyone, regardless of being a backer or just a normal customer after the release. I dont mind silly gimmicks like my name in the credits or other stupid stuff boosting my ego BESIDE the game. But no fiddling with game content.

News Comments > Apple's Cook Visits Valve?
22. Re: Apple's Cook Visits Valve? Apr 14, 2012, 06:04 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 04:41:
Gabe's already rich as stink. His motivation at this point isn't money.
Sometimes people might find out, they still dont have enough money and that it might better to have some more?

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
66. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 13, 2012, 04:03 Kajetan

entr0py wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 01:15:
I think publishers just underestimate the market for turn based strategy games. Maybe Fraxis's remake of XCOM will help change that.
The majors nowadays are only interested in big blockbuster titles. The target group for strategy games, for example published by small companies like Paradox, is way too small to produce enough revenue a major publisher needs to cover only the basic costs.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
173. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 06:48 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 04:08:
Indeed, and the rate of piracy I see in the people around me gives me cause to believe it has a much greater impact than you are comfortable thinking about.
Your perception may be flawed or incomplete, not considerung all facts and influences. Thats why we need hard and provable facts. To KNOW and not to ASSUME. I can assume anything i want. But when i start making laws based only on assumptions, thats when things go wrong.

171. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 11, 2012, 02:53 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 21:59:
in the end what we're talking about is non-commercial piracy of Bulletstorm and though commercial piracy does hurt, non-commercial piracy is a complex beast and not easily broken down into numbers.
And therefore we need more unbiased studies and research on that topic. Right now we can only make an educated guess about the potential influence of casual, non-commercial copyright infringement. We also have to look at cultural influences and social influences, not narrowing our view only on the economic ramifications in a small market.

146. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 19:09 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 19:00:
... bullshit ...
I love you too

145. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 19:06 Kajetan

Kosumo wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:38:
Start with this if you like - OECD Piracy Link
I know this already. It's quite a good introduction to the topic. It shows the main difference between tangible and digital goods, the possible reasons for the existence of a pirate market for digital goods. It also mentions that people also want to BUY content even if they can get it for free.

But this study does not show that the non-commercial "piracy" on digital content hurts sales.

133. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 18:13 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:23:
Well, why don't you set a good example and start providing facts, hard numbers and data on why piracy is NOT a problem first?
Where are your numbers and facts?

See. You can't either.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10423.pdf
http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-may-boost-sales-111102/
http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf
Pirates Are The Music Industry’s Most Valuable Customers
Game Changing Study Puts Piracy in Perspective

There are some reports and documents as a start, hinting that non-commercial content piracy is not as bad as being told by the industry for decades.

Where are yours?

131. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 18:04 Kajetan

Kosumo wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:30:
Piracy is real,
Nobody denies it.

it does have a econmic effect on many industries.
Prove it. Show us numbers. It's an economic effect. It should be easy.

Oh, wait. The United States Government Accountability Office couldnt find any reasonable, clear numbers:
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10423.pdf

Good luck!

111. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:12 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:06:
All evidence is pointing towards that being the case.
Show us. Show us numbers, show us facts, show us evidence. Not just quoting someone, who utters only unproven assumptions. Please. A proof. Something. Something you can use as an actual argument based on facts. Please?

110. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:07 Kajetan

ViRGE wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:58:
You've covered the first one: it's hard. Compared to downloading a file and running it, modding an 360 isn't nearly as easy.
It is THAT easy. Just download some instructions and a flash tool, follow some simple steps and your 360 is ready for playing copies.

360 piracy is still mostly in the realm of a smaller number of competent, capable techies.
No. Really, no. Flashing your 360 is easy, EASY!!!! When you can read and follow simple instructions, you can modify your 360. Modding a PS3? Thats not so easy. But the PS3 being "unbreakable" for years also being the least successful console of its generation ... well, i guess copies arent that dangerous at all.

The second reason it's lower is that unlike the PC there's a death penalty if you get caught.
People have two 360s. One for playing copies, the other one for playing their legit games. And if you get banned, most people learn from their mistakes and use a second, cheaply bought 360 for their copied games.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 17:15.

105. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:46 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:26:
Sure but he said usually, not every single time.
Yeah, you're right. As a basic rule, quality sells, non-quality not so much.

I think the only game I've seen that was (IMO) affected by piracy in a way that severely impacted it financially was Titan Quest.
The TQ release version had severe bugs and hefty hardware requirements. The main game sold quite good, but the addon tanked, people were deterred. But according to an ex-IronLore employee TQ sold very good in the longrun on digital platforms like Steam.

100. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:24 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:18:
Protip: Make a good game and it usually sells, see skyrim.
There are plenty good quality games, which were commercial failures like Psychonauts or Beyond Good & Evil.

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
97. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 Kajetan

Sepharo wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 01:02:
Spiral Knights is hugely successful and it's one of the games that work on "energy" that is limited unless you pay. I've seen what it's done to my friends' wallets despite them saying early on that they would never need to pay.
Do they still pay or have they learned their lesson?

1973 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo