Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1890 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
85. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 11:17 Kajetan

Slashman wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 10:23:
There is a huge amount that can be done with a moderate budget. If the Witcher 2 can get made for around 35 million, why the hell are companies pouring 100 million into a game that may or may not sell well based on nothing but the 'AAA' nametag?
AFAIK Witcher 2 development costs were about 10-12 million dollars.

And thats the main problem the majors have nowadays. Budgets are exploding, marketing costs are going through the roof, revenue has to be bigger every year, which requires even MORE marketing. These companies are simply too big. They CANNOT produce games with less money anymore.

And that is the one of the reasons why the majors are incapable to diversify. They are no longer able to produce cheaper games, which is a requirement for a middle ground game being profitable. They can only go AAA, their whole structure and business model only works with expensive high profile games. They are stuck, they cannot go backwards anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:46 Kajetan

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 07:37:
I know but in their minds they think PC is riff with piracy and that's why it's not as profitable.
I dont know what's in the minds of Epic executives. I guess they just lost contact with reality after GoW provided them with gazillions of dollars.

72. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 07:34 Kajetan

Lorcin wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 07:18:
It would virtually get rid of any piracy factor.
No. For every popular MMO, there are quite a few freeshards.

Not being able to "pirate" a game doesn't lead to instant success. More and more evidence suggests, that revenue and piracy are probably two isolated events.

69. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 06:27 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 06:03:
Also, the indie scene has grown tremendously with tons of success stories.
The devs of "Dungeon Defenders" proudly announced that they sold (!) one million units of their game, when Midway only reported that they shipped (!) one million units of UT3, both PC and PS3 together. Considering the smaller production budget and the increase of revenue through Steam sales, i guess that "Dungeon Defenders" might be more profitable than UT3.

You are thinking that any dev needs gazillions of profits to be relevant, indies on the PC need only enough money to keep on going, that's the major difference.
Nowadays, one million units of a typical expensive AAA game is a major commercial dissapointment. The market is saturated with nearly identical games, therefore the marketing budgets have to grow bigger and bigger, reducing profits. There is a reason why EA is in the red despite billions of revenue.

Sick and tired of this PC gaming makes no money bullshit. It does and the indies are a perfect example of that, not to mention a lot of AAA publishers also starting to become more PC centric.
Be patient. They will once again call the PC a dying gaming platform when the new console generation is out and the sheeple have to be told once again what to buy and what not.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts
30. Re: *relieved* Mar 30, 2012, 09:15 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 09:07:
*well they did attempt one, it was a Playstation console exclusive and featuerd a neutered Tau robot as the main protagonist...talk about FAIL...
Firewarrior was a multiplattform shooter. And choosing a Tau as playable charakter was NOT the reason for the horrible quality :), but the general lack of competence the developer had. "Firewarrior" is a game which sucked so hard, it was bad even if you are totally drunk and wasted.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Dropping MMO; THQ Cuts
27. Re: *relieved* Mar 30, 2012, 06:16 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 06:03:
... voice overs ...
This i don't understand at all. Only a few people actually READ the quest descriptions in MMOs. Once. Because most quests consist of "Fetch this, kill that!" Most MMO players just skip or use an auto-skip feature. A lot of money for a feature only a fraction of players actually use. And the quests in SWTOR? "Kill this, fetch that!"

Truly, an exercise in stupidity.

News Comments > SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected
30. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 11:39 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:53:
Hey EA: If I succesfully passed your "ARE YOU A FILTHY PIRATE?!!!1!!!11" check the first time, why the fuck do I have to pass it every single fucking time I try to play your game?
Because it isn't about you or TEH PIRATES. Publisher love control. The more they can control the game, the more they hope to monetise the whole gameplay experience with slices of DLC (no mods, you have to buy stuff), the happier the investors will be.

As one BluesNews member (forgot his name) already said last year: "They do no longer make games. They now make interactive money accumulation services."

News Comments > Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer?
26. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 08:11 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 07:33:
It is a sad statement about mankind when fanboys exist and don't realize how pathetic they really are. I will always say, fanboys are the reason many entertainment industries have gone to shit.
In the Golden Days of Yonder such fanboys ran to join their kings army to slaughter some evil fiend. Because the king or his advisor or his chancellor or his priest said so and therefore it has to be true.

Compared to that I do really prefer fanboyism on the internet. A little bit more civilized. Yes, still stupid, but no bloodshed anymore

News Comments > Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer?
16. Re: Confessions of an EA Viral Marketer? Mar 29, 2012, 04:08 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 03:28:
Just out of curiousity how much does it pay to be EA's bitch?
Not that much. But it's an easy job. You surf all day and post stuff. The (now defunct) gaming company i worked with years ago, hired a lot of students to do this job.

I mean if companies pay people to troll sites and the like, fuck it where do I sign up???
Look for marketing agencies who work for EA. They hire these people, they do the "viral" stuff.

News Comments > Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend
18. Re: Another Mass Effect 3 Bounty Weekend Mar 29, 2012, 02:22 Kajetan

Rilcon wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 23:16:
Shipped or Sold doesn't matter much to EA.
It matters to retailers. If a game collects dust on the shelves they will order less from this type, series, even publisher in the future. And the big retailers can send unsold copies back to EA. No sale, no money.

News Comments > New SimCity Only Playable Online
25. Re: New SimCity Only Playable Online Mar 28, 2012, 12:00 Kajetan

Bhruic wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 11:18:
I'm really wondering about this decision. Leaving aside the "EA is evil" debate for a moment, who thought this would be a good idea?
EA thought, this would be a good idea to show the investors that they are really, REALLY eager to protect their precious assets from those filthy pirate scum. Last business year EA lost again (!) a lot of money, despite of increased sales. EA introduced Online securom the first time the had a really bad quarter. Take2 used Online securom for Bioshock because the REALLY needed those sales and tried to keep their investors happy. Ubisoft announced UbiDRM after some heavy unexpected losses.

You ask what is the reason for Always-On? The desire to please the investors, to show them that the company wants to protect its revenue, that they can tap into more revenue by controlling the entire gameplay experience, by slicing the game into little DLC packages and feeding them to the stupid customer through gamer accounts on UbiPlay, Origin, Steam or XBOX Live.

News Comments > Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com
32. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 28, 2012, 02:26 Kajetan

Prez wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 16:06:
I was annoyed at GoG for the crappy state Thief 2 was released in (why weren't the config tweaks, widescreen upgrade, and other required addons pre-installed?)
GOG makes mod specials, they show you where to get all the stuff, how to install it. But they have only the rights to distribute the game itself, change the game code to run on modern OS if necessary, but they do not have the rights to make money with community mods.

News Comments > Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com
6. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 Kajetan

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 12:04:
I thought the whole point of GOG was making old games run on Windows 7 and then selling the package for cheap.
They still do that. They will keep on doing that in the future.

News Comments > Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward
18. Re: Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward Mar 27, 2012, 10:00 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 09:01:
I do know that for the first time in many years, a CoD title namely MW3 had a huge drop on sales numbers this January. This hasn't happened for a CoD title since CoD4 I believe.
It did? Hmmm ... i thought otherwise. Maybe i took "shipped" figures for "sales figures.

News Comments > Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward
11. Re: Robert Bowling Leaves Infinity Ward Mar 27, 2012, 02:15 Kajetan

MrBone wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 00:18:
He sees the writing on the wall. The genre is pretty much done. MW3 was nothing more than MW2 with some extra maps.
The writing on the wall says: "Moar! MOAR! MOARRRRR! ... of the same old shit". MW3 sold bazillions.

News Comments > Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors
23. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 11:14 Kajetan

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 10:44:
Thanks again, Bethesda!
Maybe they did us a favor by cancelling another turd? As already mentioned, someone at Bethesda probably learned from previous failures.

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Beta Live
16. Re: Mists of Pandaria Beta Live Mar 23, 2012, 05:41 Kajetan

entr0py wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:41:
I mean what else are they going to do, try and come up with something new?
The Emerald Dream is a VAST ressource for at least one addon.

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
9. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 11:29 Kajetan

deqer wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 11:11:
"though they think there are others hibernating until the release of the next WoW expansion: "

Yeah, I bet they'd like to think that. Love to see the look on their faces when they wrong and no one comes back for your Kung Fu Panda expansion.
Dont worry. They will hold enough players to make a fortune, they will get new players who arent much into heavy duty raiding, more into collecting pets and achievements with some effortless gameplay mechanics.

Normally i would have resubbed beginning of the year as i have done every time after a longer absence from the game. But now it's march and i have no desire to return at all. I guess, i'm finally done with WoW

News Comments > Dragon Age Entering "Next Phase"
34. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 20, 2012, 02:52 Kajetan

CythrawL wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 21:55:
Looking Glass Studios...
... was never aquired by EA.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update
42. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update Mar 19, 2012, 08:56 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 00:38:
Most of the games you see ads for do well. Homefront had an enormous amount of ads. Sold like crazy.
I would not call 2 Mio. units sold, worldwide, across all plattforms (http://www.vgchartz.com/game/34846/homefront) a "crazy success". A moderate success, if you will. Which is one of the reasons THQ closed the studio behind "Homefront". Too costly, not profitable enough.

1890 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo