Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1972 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
8. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:51 Kajetan

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.
They haven't.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
5. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:39 Kajetan

NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:29:
The problem is that once the server issues are gone, the motivation to complain goes with it. Sure, they gotta be online, but if the servers are working, they aren't going to be nearly as mad about it and are more likely to overlook the issue. :/
Remember Spore? It took nearly five years to climb from a one star rating on Amazon to a measly 3 star rating. Sim City Online will suffer the same fate.

And remember what EA wanted from Spore? Being the new The Sims with tons of addons and stuff to sell? The second (!) addon was to be released in 2009, then in 2012 and now it has vanished without notice.

Sim City WILL suffer the same fate. EA will cancel this game without any offline mode in two years.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
51. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 15:58 Kajetan

Panickd wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 15:48:
This kind of screw up is what trips up the whole "always connected" DRM scheme (and gives fuel to the fire). If you want it, publishers, then you better hold up your fucking end of the deal and have a backend that can support it!
And this is the beauty of it all. An expensive backend cuts into the revenue, which already suffers from very high developement and marketing costs

Whatever the majors do to increase their revenue, it only works on short, very short terms. This is no longer a sustainable business. This is a train running full speed to the end of the track!

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 08:49 Kajetan

Golwar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 07:55:
Geez, gamers are really a disgrace sometimes.
There are no "gamers". There are only people. Some smart, some dumb, some eager to learn from their experience, some just staying clueless. And there are people who like nothing more than to complain about what some people have to say about other people. Like you. Having fun?

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 06:56 Kajetan

Julio wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:09:
Kind of funny that SimCity2000 is a top selling game on GOG right now.
Jepp. This IS funny

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2013, 06:55 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 02:27:
God look at the comments from those sheeple.
Let them. They get what they deserve.

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
15. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:04 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:49:
No wonder indies have risen and are now an established alternative to publishers. It's as if the sane gamers have gone indie and the insane gamers are still only buying AAA games and nothing more.
No "if's". This is reality. Customers of indie games and consumers of majors titles are two different groups of people with only minor overlappings.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
159. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 06:57 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 06:10:
I'm actually impressed that it will only take $2 million to do all the stuff that's planned so far.
No middle management. No bloated structures where the descision on, for example, how to make doors open in the game requires half a dozen meetings and waiting 'till the descision process wanders up the chain of command and down again while several dozen artists and programmers sit idle, not being able do anything, only producing expenses while they are waiting.

Compare this to Project Eternity, where the main programmer just implemented this feature in a few hours, because he can make such detail descisions for himself.

THAT is the reason why majors are no longer able to produce games on a moderate budget. And comparing the visuals and production value of a game like THE WITCHER 2 with DA2 or Skyrim and realising that TW2 had a budget of only 10-15 mio. dollars ...

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
19. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 11:04 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:49:
There is literally nobody with half a shred of common fucking sense at EA.
There is a reason why EA isnt any longer THE Behemoth of Game Publishing: A long line of stupid business descisions, which culminated in a more and more dire situation for this company.

Ten, fifteen years ago EA didnt flinch when a game tanked, because they had enough other games with solid or good sales to cover those losses. Now, they had to fire people and freeze marketing for a few months, because Warfighter tanked. What will they do after this debacle? Hoping that SimCity Online will finally hit the spot?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 10:24 Kajetan

1AngryGamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:22:
DO NOT PAY ATTENTION to ...
... flamebaiting trolls?

News Comments > 3D Quake Editor
3. Re: 3D Quake Editor Mar 4, 2013, 10:32 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 09:35:
Huh? Isnt this like a few years late to the party?
No. Because the point of this editor isn't Quake, but the UI concept behind it. Quake is just used, because its well documented and easy to implement.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 4, 2013, 10:30 Kajetan

Cevat, you're drunk. Go home!  

News Comments > Jason West Retires?
3. Re: Jason West Retires? Mar 4, 2013, 09:55 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 09:33:
Well these two guys were responsible for the CoDs that didnt suck.
The first one? Because ... the second one had stupid auto-heal, stupid "we color the screen red instead of showing you precisly how much damage you have taken" and stupid waves and waves of endless spawning enemies unless you triggered the right script. Since CoD 2 this series was lost to me.

News Comments > Lord British's Countdown
33. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 4, 2013, 08:54 Kajetan

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:41:
EA acquired them in 92, Ultima IX released in 97. I think a better question would be what changed at Origin that EA needed to put it's own clueless producers on projects they had no business being involved with.
Ultima Online happened during the developement of U9. EA feared that Origin did not have enough talent to create both games at the same time, because UO required more and more staff from the U9 team, pushing the release further and further back. So they send in Ed to help organize and finish U9, but sadly no one told him what Ultima was all about. And in the end Garriott fired him and took over, shoving this developement fiasco quickly out of the door, just to have more free ressources to work on UO.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 4, 2013, 06:15 Kajetan

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 20:44:
Why teens are tiring of Facebook.

They are getting older and smarter and realising they want a job one day and pictures of them probably aren't good on the internet....a number of reasons....their friends have been let go from jobs or not gotten jobs, they now know that all of the stuff on facebook can only hurt them.
They realize, that "Friends" are not friends.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2013, 15:27 Kajetan

DukeFNukem wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:40:
I don't play as much games as I used to but that's by choice as I get older. I still love games. Your post appears to suggest, in a very cryptic manner, that gamers are different now than what they used to be. I don't think that's true really.
There is no longer a monolithic group of people who share the same gaming experience. I do not have anything in common with someone who just wants to shoot something from his couch after work in a scripted CoD campaign. Yet we both are called gamers and everyone assumes we share some common gaming interests. WE DO NOT!

After having established this, i dont feel hate from the majors towards their demographic because i'm no longer part of it. I simply do not care if EA or Ubisoft make games or go bancrupt. These companies no longer offer me anything i would like to have. And i have no need for a new generation of consoles. Last year i bought a PS2 and i'm having so much fun discovering and playing all those nippon RPGs. Only with the back catalogue from the PS2 i'm set for years. And there are new indie games, new kickstarter projects to fund or to await.

So, if MS, Sony and Nintendo in cooperation with the major publisher all declare "war" on their customers just because they can ... I DO NOT CARE AT ALL! I have my games that i like. I will have A LOT of new games i would like, offered with reasonable prices, without DRM or any snake oil DLC scheme behind them.

This part of the gaming industry i do like. The other part? Beats me, it no longer has any relevance to me.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2013, 14:22 Kajetan

The gaming industry evolves. There are the majors and their consumer base, for whom gaming is like any other form of entertainment. For these people there is no difference between going to the movies, watching TV or playing a gaem. Its all the same.

And then there are indies and niche publishers, who cater to the more demanding audience, who view games as a "serious" hobby, who are interested in games beyond the act of just gaming them.

Different companies, different business strategies and a different customer base with only minor overlappings. There is no more "I play and love every game there is!". Gaming has become diversified, gamers have become diversified. A 10 year old Halo player with his 360 has nothing in common with a 40 year old dad playing a flight simulation like Warthog on his PC.

Therefore the headline "The Games Industry Hates Gamers And It Needs To Change" is just making some false general assumptions. There is no more "The Games Industry". There are no more "The Gamers".

News Comments > Lord British's Countdown
5. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 15:30 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 15:13:
Even if it's not Ultima in name and he can't get the rights he knows what everyone wants so just fucking make it!
I had my fun with all Ultima games, even UO. Two years ago i started replaying them. Right now i'm hacking my way across mars with Martian Dreams. I played the remakes made with Dungeon Siege. I play U9 on a regular basis, trying out new restoration mods. I am content, i made my peace. Ultima is finished, its over. Let it rest.

And i dont think that Garriott is able to recreate the same amount of magic and fun he created back in the days with the help of people like Warren Spector and other Origin employees. He had his time, i thank him for that. But as with Ultima, just let the man fly to space and make stupid social games to finance this awesome hobby.

News Comments > PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs
15. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 12:28 Kajetan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:27:
Recent games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 took advantage of DX11 features and really had a lot of effort put in.
A lot of effort? A variety of people experiencing a lot (!) of technical problems with these two games might think otherwise.

News Comments > PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs
11. Re: PC Lead Platform for Watch_Dogs Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 10:04:
Confusion in the console world: Publishers suddenly scream "PIRATES PC PLAYERS WE LURVE YOU PLEEEZE PLAY OUR GAMEZ! PLEEZZ??"

In 2014, the rhetoric will be "TEH CONSOLES ARE TEH BESTEST FUCK TEH PC PLAYERS PIRATES!"
Yupp. Its only marketing. Nothing more.

1972 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo