Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1890 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 25, 2013, 09:52 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:44:
This guy is my hero...
Just think ... in his article the PC has all the advantages consoles were said to have over the PC. Simple. cheap, easy to use. How has the world come to that! O tempora, o mores!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition
12. Re: SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition Jan 25, 2013, 09:23 Kajetan

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 09:02:
Idiots, did not pick up the homeworld IP, what were they thinking.
They were thinking: Gee, let's wait till next week, when all the older IP's and the back catalogue are for sale!

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2013, 09:53.

9. Re: SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition Jan 25, 2013, 04:19 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 04:01:
No word on the WH40K MMO, guess that was vaporvare eh?
The MMO was officialy cancelled. There were plans to rebuild the game as a SP title, but the studio behind this project found no buyer and will be closed. So ... no vaporware, but probably a final exterminatus on this project.

7. Re: SEGA On Their Relic Acquisition Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 Kajetan

Whiskers wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 21:55:
If Relic is allowed to keep their Warhammer 40k license ...
As far as i know, Relic owns no W40K licence. THQ had the rights to make those games.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 Kajetan

nin wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 09:30:
Report: Next Xbox to simply be named 'Xbox'.
I see MS Marketing hasn't lost it's touch...
Its consistent incompetence at work. MS branding policy is one of the worst i've ever seen. They throw away well established brand names for some shit they throw away a few years later, only to be replaced by some other mumbojumbo no one cares about. And now they just name the third console like the first, because ... well, because they can.

I suspected the next name would be XBOX 8, but MS proved me wrong

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic
34. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic Jan 23, 2013, 06:10 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 01:34:
The thing that annoys me about this (and also the Pacific Rim trailer) is how the military units don't use even basic military tactics, and end up getting destroyed by units they shouldn't even be within a mile of.
These sequences are not made with realism in mind. They are made to show the viewer as many 'splosions as possible. And common military units have to be weak, so that the hero in his killer robot machine thingy can rule the day. Basic superhero & movie law, man!

News Comments > Chris Taylor on GPG, Wildman, and Publishers
5. Re: Chris Taylor on GPG, Wildman, and Publishers Jan 23, 2013, 04:43 Kajetan

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 01:20:
The games industry sounds more and more like a HORRIBLE place to work, unless you are somehow independently wealthy and can make any project you want without fear.
It always was. In fact, it was way more terrible in the Good Ole Days.

I know someone, who was hired with some other guys to program a game for Atari ST and Commodore 64 at the height of the homecomputer boom. They met at an adress in the country side which turned out to be an old farm. In the living room were three computers, a printer, three sleeping bags and enough food for a week. The client LOCKED the door behind them and left. Well, they themselves left soon after through a smashed window.

There is a reason why EA was so popular amongst developers for a long time. EA was one of the first companies to treat their contractors and studios professionally and fair. They paid good money and they paid on time AND not missing a single dime.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic
23. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic Jan 22, 2013, 13:48 Kajetan

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 10:56:
Too bad the Terran player in her dream was horrible!
No bunkers, poor micro, etc. :o

Best comment on Youtube:
- Viking: Look, i am Optimus Prime!!
- Ultralisk: No!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 21, 2013, 11:44 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 08:57:
Microsoft’s Xbox brand will be “sold to someone like Sony”, failure is “inevitable”.

Interesting discussion. There has been talk of rising internal dissension related to non-core products costing the company too much money for awhile now. We're long past a decade of Microsoft in the gaming industry and billions of dollars later they're still facing the same entrenched competitors.
A few years ago, investors were furious about the entertainment division loosing lots of money. In response to this, MS closed Ensemble Studios and everything not related to the Zune and the console branch. They stopped loosing money after that, but made only small, very small profits compared to what MS earns with Office, Windows or even the server market.

So, is it possible the investors start nagging again? Absolutely! And this time, it may be finally the end of a not very successful long time experiment.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 19, 2013, 13:08 Kajetan

RoboNerd wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 10:35:
Couldn't be because the entertainment industry is a big Democrat party contributor...naw, that just couldn't be... Bullseye
Biden is best friend with Hollywood. Which is not the video game industry.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Hints
10. Re: Legend of Grimrock Hints Jan 18, 2013, 04:32 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 04:03:
Sold 600000, not bad for a niche game, not bad at all.
With a proper multiplayer like CoD, achievements, autoheal and designed to be played on consoles, it would have sold GAZILLIONS!!! Heck, just make Grimrock 2 a military shooter, call it Legend of Freedom

News Comments > Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month
5. Re: Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month Jan 17, 2013, 10:46 Kajetan

Techie714 © wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 09:11:
Sorry folks but games get old & costs are associated with some of these servers staying online...Time to move onto a new game....
These costs are usually very, VERY low. You dont need the infrastructure for one server and one dedicated admin for this server. You install the necessary software on a virtual server machine, which contains several dozen low performing applications, which is located in a rack with other hardware containing dozens other low performance applications, administered by one guy. Costs per application aka MP server? A few dollars per application & month max.

The real reasons behind these descisions are not of financial nature, but root in business policies. Do we still want that players can play these old games? Do we want them to switch to newer games which they have to buy first?

News Comments > Free StarCraft II Name Changes
11. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 14, 2013, 01:50 Kajetan

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 18:32:
Do you think they invented this concept?
No. I'm not mad at Blizzard, but still being astonished that there are people who are willing to pay for this "service". Reminds me of my mother who thinks i'm an IT wizard when i fix her computer.

News Comments > Free StarCraft II Name Changes
1. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 13:10 Kajetan

When you charge your customer for a simple SQL statement, which doesn't involve any Blizzard employee besides the inital one time feature write, be sure to make GOOD excuses when this paid "service" doesn't work as advertised.  

News Comments > Double Fine in THQ Mix
21. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 04:27 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:30:
Yeah, they're only asking for information, it's not like they put any offers in or anything. And you're right, they might genuinely be able to pick something up on the cheap.
To my knowledge THQ published the retail versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. May be DF looks into a possibility to buy these distribution rights back.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists
13. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Still Exists Jan 11, 2013, 04:35 Kajetan

MattyC wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:21:
Mass Effect 1 & 2 (I left out 3, but not for tech reasons), Borderlands, and Arkam Asylum, Xcom EU etc were all made on Unreal tech. That is only staying with more recent and leaving out titles like Deus Ex.
These are all multiplattform titles, designed to work on consoles.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 15:53 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:22:
There are much better ways to hear from your consumers.
For example?

Anything large and identified solely by usernames is probably not the way to go.
Why not? Just needs more supervising. I was part of a team, managing customer forums of a commercial daytrader site, way larger than that of Biowares little joint. We had our share of attention whores and outright CRAZY bums, but you can manage those people. Its a full time job, the company has to invest, but in the long run you keep a healthy community AND happy customers.

But this is not possible with one or two underpaid community managers and admins picked from the user base. This is WORK. Most companies dont see the profit in that, so forums deteriorate at a certain point and become a useless waste of money.

News Comments > SimCity Trailer
3. Re: SimCity Trailer Jan 10, 2013, 07:58 Kajetan

Leper wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 23:44:
People said the same things about D3/Blizzard and look how that turned out.
The Diablo games were mostly recognized & remembered as a MP game. Sim City, on the other hand, is a traditional SP only game. There isn't much love for online gaming around SC fans.

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
18. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 11:07 Kajetan

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:15:
You wouldn't smell fecal matter and all that stuff, obviously, but there are a ton of neutral smells that would fit well with battlefields, sewers and other areas like that. Don't you agree?
No. Because THAT will break immersion. Gentle flowers i may smell, but in the sewers i only get some fake "sewery" smell? Which will be unpleasant to many people even if they conjure up some earthy, mossy fake smell?

But a someone mentioned before ... they tried that in cinemas several times. Smell cards and evaporators and such. Didn't work.

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
9. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:07 Kajetan

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:49:
Background music detracts from the immersion. Smell wouldn't.
Depends on the game. A racing game might benefit from the smell of hot motor oil, asphalt and metal, but other than that ... when i play "The Witcher" i smell the flowers from the meadow and i smell the soap and rosewater my lady has bathed her smooth skin ... and i smell the rotten flesh on a battlefield, i smell fecal matter and urin and dirt in the cities and villages. No, thank you!

And it will surely break immersion in this kind of games when i smell only pleasant smells.

1890 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo