Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1979 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
8. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 21, 2010, 13:43 Kajetan

necrosis wrote on Feb 21, 2010, 12:53:
Yes. Piracy is a problem.
How do you know? Is there a proof, or undeniable numbers or solid studies? How do you know, that unliceced copying is a "problem".

I know, that the first thing to do is: Find out IF IT IS a problem at all. Then, how big is it a problem. And then, only then, should content producers start with countermeasures, considering the seriousness of the problem. But repeating old urban legends from the 80ies, that copying commercial software or music or movies is somehow damaging their revenues ... since these days i am waiting for a proof to these claims. To this day? Nothing!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
7. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 14:38 Kajetan

ldonyo wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 14:28:
EA was one of the first with stupidly-high levels of DRM and their consistently-poor financial results are proof of the sense of that strategy, along with the strategy of trying to buy good review scores for crappy games.
We dont know, if EA financial woes were caused by people, fed up with DRM, but ... we know two things for certain: First, EA stopped using this DRM system. Which they hadn't done out of sheer goodwill. And second, using Securom hasn't helped EA a bit in earning more money.

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
4. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 13:47 Kajetan

NKD wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 13:34:
How is it these supposedly intelligent people in charge of these companies cannot see that?
Because "Fighting Piracy" is not the goal.

1. Investors demand DRM, because DRM is (at least in their view) a good risk minimizing strategy. It doesn't do anything, but publishers can show the investors, that they are willing to protect their "goods".

2.Publishers want control. They want to control all content, they "licence", in the hopes of increasing revenue. Like, shutting down activation/multiplayer servers for old games, so that people have to buy the new games.

3. And publishers hope to eradicate or at least scale down the used games market, because they think that this market hurts their revenue.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X3: Gold Edition
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - X3: Gold Edition Feb 20, 2010, 04:20 Kajetan

PHJF wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 01:43:
X was great, but I never really got into X2 or X3.
I agree. X i played to death, hours and hours and hours summed up to weeks and months ... but X2 und X3, nice looking as they are, they don't worked for me as a game. Theye were more work than entertainment, with all this clunky and overly complicated interface.

News Comments > Interstate '76 Arsenal on GOG.com
9. Re: Interstate '76 Arsenal on GOG.com Feb 18, 2010, 17:31 Kajetan

noman wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 13:46:
Windows7 is same as Vista, so if Vista works, you are fine.
No. There are several games on GOG, which do NOT work on Windows 7, but work on Vista. Like Gothic 1&2, Messiah, Sacrifice, ... mostly gpu driver related.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
6. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 11:00 Kajetan

Darks wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 10:52:
This is a bad idea and whoever is suggesting it needs to STFU!
Which is pretty funny, because the executive producer of STO himself said it. Which clearly shows the main problem with this piece of CraPOO: It's the developer, it's Cryptic. They are not able to make a decent MMO. They just make some code, some features, some content, throw them together, hire Bill Roper and sell playable races and lifetime subscriptions.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
15. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Feb 17, 2010, 07:24 Kajetan

When you bought the game, you accepted the EULA. There is certainly a chapter, where you agreed that EA has the right to shut down any online service at any given time.

The only choice you have left ... never buy EA again, if you are into multiplayer

News Comments > Free Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Firestorm
19. Re: Free Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Firestorm Feb 14, 2010, 14:38 Kajetan

Meta-complaining is the new shit! Dont talk about the game or the free release ot technical difficulties on modern OS, no. Complain about people, who complain about something related to this news.  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
27. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 12:09 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 12:01:
Oh man, love the conspiracy theories.
I dont like being lied to ...

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
25. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 11:51 Kajetan

This is funny, because i can play PC games, certified for Games for Windows Live (a Microsoft product) with an 360 controller (a Microsoft product), sitting on a couch ...

But, what the hell do i know. I'm just a lowly gamer sheep

News Comments > Battle.net 2.0 Preview
3. Re: Battle.net 2.0 Preview Feb 10, 2010, 02:16 Kajetan

I'd rather have seen it in Steam
I'm glad, it isnt with Steam
No, really, Steam may be a nice thing for north american citizens, but for the rest of the world with all those regional restrictions, forced currency conversions und fixed prizing, censored game listings and so on ... Steam is just an ugly annoyance.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2
49. Re: Indie games are nice but.. Feb 9, 2010, 02:11 Kajetan

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 00:25:
FPS is expensive to produce, and the focus of most dedicated PC gamers.
Speak for yourself. FPS was my focus, but after the heavy consolitis, this genre suffers in the last years, i switched my preferences. And yes, i can live without triple A games from the majors. Nearyl all of them are boring, stupid and just a dumbed down version for the stupid masses. If all majors disband the pc plattform (which they do not, because you can make much money with pc games), i will miss nothing.

News Comments > DRM Discussion
26. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 14:05 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 13:12:
I'm not here to e-fight with you :)
Me neither ...

19. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 13:10 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 11:53:
So I do think it's possible for the industry to come up with a method of DRM that makes piracy more difficult for the masses while retaining an ease of use and lack of hassle for the general public.
Do you understand the internet? The inherent characterictics of digital information?

It is enough that ONE cracker cracks the code and ONE uploader does the uploading. The rest is just copy & paste. And assuming, a more complicated DRM will somehow make copying for the masses less attractiv is just wishful thinking, nothing more. Just stop seeing "common piracy" as a problem. There is no proof at all, that it is one.

DRM is also useless in stopping the REAL software pirates, who make copies for a living. And if, someday, some kind of magical DRM has effectively destroyed the used games market, publishers will learn, that the consumers money does not grow on trees or bushes or just appears out of thin air. People are not having MORE money to buy new games, if they cant sell the old ones. They will have LESS money to buy new games.

But, hey, what do i know ...

7. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 11:47 Kajetan

Other than MMOs and digital distribution platforms like Steam there's no DRM that can't be broken
There are hundreds of freeshards for every popular MMO and every Steam-exclusive game gets its scene release on release day. There IS no working protection for the consumer mass market. Even special software for certain professions, using dongles and other hardware protection is crackable and has been cracked in the past.

DRM is useless. And, btw., i still wait for an undeniable proof, that unlicensed copies for private uses, the so called file-sharing, are harmful. DRM is the non-working solution to a problem, which still awaits the proof that it IS a problem

But fear and paranoia are getting always in the way of reasoning.

6. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 11:39 Kajetan

And it will be impossible in the future as long as the ones, who want to "protect" their content have not superior tools in relationship to the ones, who want to "unprotect" this content. And then you still have the problem with not impacting the consumer ...

No, this is not solvable with technology. The only solution: Stop seeing un-authorized use of digital content as a problem

2. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 11:08 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 10:59:
Come up with something that works and doesn't impact legitimate consumers ...
Which is not possible. Two contradicting goals. Preventing un-authorized use and not impacting the legit consumers experience. And third, the "foe" has the same tools for cracking the system, you used to create the system. It is NOT possible.

But as long as investors insist on minimizing certain theoretical "risks", because the rules for making business plans are demanding this, DRM will stay.

News Comments > Settlers 7 Economy Trailer
2. Re: Settlers 7 Economy Trailer Jan 30, 2010, 08:24 Kajetan

Frijoles wrote on Jan 29, 2010, 22:51:
I want to try this game, but their DRM sucks.
I don't see a problem with trying this game
I only have a problem buying this game, as long as Ubisoft goes the DRM way.

News Comments > GOG.com Gets Activision
2. Re: GOG.com Gets Activision Jan 28, 2010, 10:13 Kajetan

I hate you! You took all my moneyz ...  

News Comments > American McGee Interview
9. Re: American McGee Interview Jan 25, 2010, 05:27 Kajetan

kxmode wrote on Jan 24, 2010, 22:47:
The germans took David Hasselhoff?! WTF?
No, we didn't. He invaded us, like all americans do

We want him back. Our beaches aren't safe these days!
Take him back, oh please, take him back. Please! It hurt's!

1979 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 71.
< Newer [ 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo