Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1922 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
23. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 12:41 Kajetan

killer_roach wrote on May 19, 2010, 10:56:
Except people buying used games aren't their customers, technically speaking.
No. They're not. But in preventing the sale of a used game or making the game worthless enough for re-selling it, you hurt your customers purse and in the end, yourself as a company.

A customer, who is not able to free the purchasing power bound in a game through the means of re-seeling it, is less likely motivated to buy a new game. Because now he has LESS money to do that.

But if the publishers think, that preventing games from being traded in might help them ... go ahead. Cant wait to laugh in their stupid faces, when they have to report one abyssmal quarter after another.

Btw. ... i dont understand, why publisher do not want to participate in the second hand trade. Put up a special trade plattform for your games, give incentives to re-sellers and buyers to make this plattform more attractive than eBay or Gamestop. Or just goddammfucking BUY Gamestop. Every other industry is able to do that. Cars, production facilities, kitchen appliances ... but the games industry has no other idea than to fuck their customers and themselves.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2010, 12:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Perfect World Takes Share in Runic
5. Re: Perfect World Takes Share in Runic May 18, 2010, 05:25 Kajetan

Golwar wrote on May 18, 2010, 05:21:
Didn't Flagship have serious problems with a partner in asia?
It was the other way around. Hanbit had serious problems with Flagship

News Comments > On Aging Gamers
9. Re: On Aging Gamers May 18, 2010, 04:50 Kajetan

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 18, 2010, 03:33:
The larger challenge for any part of the entertainment industry is convincing the younger demographics to put serious time and energy into their product.
No. The younger demographics will ALWAYS put serious time and energy into any product the industry throws at them.

You have to offer the OLDER demographics products, which convince them to spend "quality time" with them. Usually, you do this with QUALITY products, not the shovelware the major publishers release nowadays. I myself being an "old gamer", i am bored to hell from nearly all the games the industry throws at me. Mostly, they are just a nice looking, but empty shell. Or they suffer from interface problems, because the devs dont let me play the game in the way i prefer. As someone in this thread already says, games need to be more customizable. For example, i want save anywhere and anywhen i like. I want to configure all game settings to my likings.

If you want to stop gamers from giving up their games as they get older and have more to do in the real world, you need to convince them it's a hobby instead of a time-waster.
Easy. Design games the older gamer wants (!) to spend time with, because they are NOT stupid and boring. I know a lot of older gamers, who just download games, play them a few hours, delete them afterwards, hoping for at least ONE game, which can hold their interests long enough. Some of them just stopped playing video games because of this. Once loyal customers, now lost customers. And as an old industry saying goes, loosing a customers is easy and cost you nothing. Winning this customer back, is very expensive and can take years!

News Comments > Portal Patched
5. Re: Portal Patched May 16, 2010, 05:03 Kajetan

I want to have more customizable street car racing and FinalFantasy-style minigames in Portal. Right now, Portal sucks and is boring to no end!  

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview
12. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview May 16, 2010, 04:51 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2010, 03:44:
How that slipped through Q&A i can not even fathom.
It didnt. EVERYBODY involved knew, that the game was not only unfinished, but horribly broken by design. The game was shipped anyway, because the publisher ran out of money. Release, rake in money from the stupid and devout Gothic community or bust. A simple choice!

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview
11. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview May 16, 2010, 04:45 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2010, 02:50:
I don't think I've ever played an RPG that didn't have at least one broken quest. I think Gothic 3 just stands out in your mind because it's one of the more recent ones.
It's not that Gothic 3 had just some broken quests ... this game is still broken by design. The combat system sucks hard, the main story developement sucks and a dozen community patches cant fix all the basic design problems. And Gothic 3 got a horrid and terrible official addon, which was MORE buggy that the main program, which is quite remarkable on its own.

It's best to simply forget Gothic 3. There are enough only mediocre and very good RPGs to play, even more if you are into JRPGs, so why bother with this crap?

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
12. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 13:44 Kajetan

Grumpy Sod wrote on May 14, 2010, 13:05:
All that lists like this ever prove is that people have really shitty long term memory. Nearly everyone seems to go 'Hmm, what have I enjoyed recently' and vote for that. Or even worse 'What is fun right now' like the only reason they're not still playing Imogen on the BBC Micro is that it's rubbish and not that it's old yet awesome. Oh, or that they're too young to have a clue what I just said.
Jepp. Nearly ALL "Best of" lists i encountered, suffer from the "short attention span problem" most gamers have. And the lack of background knowledge they have, concerning games. They just remember, that they played a fun game last month. But WHY they had fun with this game and how to compare that fun with the fun, they had with a game two years ago ...

These lists serve only two purposes. First, they direct more readers to the site, the magazine. Second, adolescent minds need those lists, to ensure that they like the "right" game, because everyone else likes it too.

News Comments > Indie Bundle Hits Goal, Source Releases planned
6. Re: Indie Bundle Hits Goal, Source Releases planned May 12, 2010, 03:40 Kajetan

ASeven wrote on May 11, 2010, 22:24:
$1 million in a week of pure profit without any costs.
Not enough for the majors like EA or Activision. But enough for all those smaller devs and studios, which thrive in their respective niches. Niches, the majors left since gaming has become a multibillion dollar business and they themselves grew so big, that any game sold under 1 or 2 million units is considered a loss.

I like, what has become of PC gaming, i really do

News Comments > Pirating vs Paying a Penny
6. Re: Pirating vs Paying a Penny May 10, 2010, 12:12 Kajetan

cliffski wrote on May 10, 2010, 11:32:
Money is purely digital these days too. Somehow we accept that you cant just copy bill gates bank balance.
Oh, you can do that, if you like. If you're a bank, you already did that. But this "copied" money has no value, unless someone thinks, that it might be worth something.

So, a copied movie has no worth in itself. Therefore, there is no "damage", because there is nothing you can take away and keep it from others. You just make a copy. The only thing, which makes a digital copy worth something, is the customer, who wants to give you money for the enjoyment of watching this movie.

Last weekend, i watched IronMan 2 in a theater. I could have watched the movie as the usual cam rip. I could have waited, until a bluray rip surfaces. I could have waited, until the bluray is available and then buy the bluray disk. But i decided to spend money, to watch this film in a theater. Because i wanted to. Because i thought, that the movie will be worth it. Well, it was, more or less

This comment was edited on May 10, 2010, 12:18.

News Comments > Pirating vs Paying a Penny
2. Re: Pirating vs Paying a Penny May 10, 2010, 11:21 Kajetan

When selling digital information, one has to accept, that said information will be copied, without the supplier of said content being able to control what will be copied and what not.

This is the fundamental truth about the Digital Age, we live in. That is the fundamental principle of the Digital Age. Information is copied within seconds without even raising an eyebrow. Because its digital and not some analog book or a vinyl. Accept it and start thinking about ways to convince potential customers to pay voluntarily. Make them feel good, when they give you their money. Encourage them to come back and bring some friends with. Stop thinking about people, who will get said content for free, never paying anything. Just ignore them. Only customers matter!

News Comments > Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend
13. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 05:25 Kajetan

Golwar wrote on May 8, 2010, 05:21:
It is Star Trek. So this game boldly went, where no MMO was before.
Into the gutter? A lot of MMOs went that way already

News Comments > LucasArts Shakeup
4. Re: LucasArts Shakeup May 7, 2010, 12:12 Kajetan

Tom wrote on May 7, 2010, 11:51:
Target audience is too small, apparently. No $$$ to be made.
Too small for the typical major production team, yes. But a small team, modern and lean project management methods, heavy use of procedural content ... then you don't have to sell 2 million units to even cover the costs, but you can make a huge profit on selling, maybe 500.000 units. And since this game is targeted at a specific niche group, which values gameplay over looks, you dont need 200 people only working on shaders, textures and models. It is possible, LucasArts will make money on this.

But the company itself is way too big. They are no longer able to see the potential revenue in catering several niche audiences. Now, every game has to be HUGE

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
27. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 6, 2010, 17:03 Kajetan

OneEye wrote on May 6, 2010, 14:58:
People will hate on anything. Steam is the one thing hat has saved PC gaming (non-MMO) and some still dont get it...
Yes, the concept of different opinions is a difficult one to grasp for some people. There are people, who do NOT like Steam, because they have their reasons. Get over it!

News Comments > Cecil on Piracy and Economics
10. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 10:43 Kajetan

LightAssassin wrote on May 6, 2010, 10:35:
Seriously, stop being ignorant and realise games are a business like anything in life.
Who is ignorant? If people do not buy games, because they think that the price is too high ... that is the other side of the business. Supply and demand

I'm not justifying massive profit increases by ripping people off, but asking a fair price for a good product is fine by me.
And who determines the "fairness" of a price tag? Right, the customer. He alone decides, if a product is worth the price the supplier wants. Not the other way around.

News Comments > Civilization V and Steamworks
3. Re: Civilization V and Steamworks May 6, 2010, 10:36 Kajetan

Profit wrote on May 6, 2010, 10:34:
uch steam. fucking no sale
Yepp. Sad, but no, no interest anymore ... well, at least not anymore for full price. Someting below 10 Euro is ok for this form of software rental.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2010, 11:01.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins DLC Announced
8. Re: Dragon Age: Origins DLC Announced May 6, 2010, 03:23 Kajetan

Mostly_Harmless wrote on May 6, 2010, 02:36:
Can't they just sell this stuff for real money.
No. Because they do not want you to buy games for the price they are offered, but they want you to buy virtual currency in pre-defined blocks, so you have to spend MORE money than the actual cost of the game you want to buy. And the money left, you can only spend on this closed plattform, but all virtual prices are calculated in a way, that you are always forced to spend MORE than you want to actually buy.

And what are the companies doing with this extra money you gave them? They are investing it, making some interest, some financial investements. Its very profitable

News Comments > Star Wolves 3 Expansion Announced
5. Re: Star Wolves 3 Expansion Announced May 6, 2010, 03:09 Kajetan

Prez wrote on May 5, 2010, 23:43:
Lots of rough edges, but if you're the tolerable type like myself, this series is a REAL gem.
"Lots of rough edges" ... understatement of the month!
But yes, the StarWolves-Series IS an underrated, overlooked gem, a real underdog. The gameplay is very interesting, is bringing some nice touches to the genre and is solid enough, that you can overlook the terrible, unpolished shell the devs put their gameplay in.

News Comments > Cecil on Piracy and Economics
6. Re: Holy Sh!t, someone who makes sense May 6, 2010, 02:46 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on May 6, 2010, 01:24:
? Both publishers distribute their games on Steam and the other digital distribution services.
Yes, they do ... but often enough for the standard price of a standard retail version, where you get a printed handbook, a DVD (its own backup medium) AND you can resell your game, when you are done with it or it's not that good as you hoped it would be. I cannot resell anything on Steam (or other platforms), forcing me to wait for some sales or until i have enough money to buy a new game, which would happen faster, if i could sell my old games.

Steam (and other platforms) remind me of the first download services the music industry had built. Slow, not very comfortable, very restrictive und too expensive. There is MUCH room for improvements!

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Easy Button May 5, 2010, 17:26 Kajetan

Warskull wrote on May 5, 2010, 13:54:
I've found my taste in games has been refined and my tolerance for bullshit has decreased over time. These days you have a lot of games to choose from so why keep playing a mediocre game you don't enjoy.
I concur. I am more and more choosy, whining about most new (bad) games becomes a second nature and its getting more and more difficult for the publishers to satisfy my gaming tastes. Im going Statler & Waldorf!

Playing Dragon Age 1 hour a week would suck, because more often than not that 1 hour wouldn't have any enjoyable moments in your 1 hour play session. You have to play Dragon Age for a significant amount of time to get any payoff.
I haven't played DA yet, but i don't require a non-stop, always fast paced gameplay to keep my interest high enough to stick with a game over several weeks or even months. But too often, when i got back to a game, especially a RPG, i find myself wondering, what the fuck was i suppossed to do in this game. Quest journals are some help, but what an old fart like me would prefer ... a feature, which tells the story so far with an ingame-engine movie. Displaying memorable fights, showing known adversaries, wrapping up everything i was doing since the last gaming session ... and then the story aka the game continues.

News Comments > Rejected Wookiee Game
6. Re: Rejected Wookiee Game May 5, 2010, 10:50 Kajetan

nin wrote on May 5, 2010, 10:42:
And the more I think about a Grand Theft AT-ST, the more it actually sounds good...
Sim Deathstar? Can has? Pleeze?

1922 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 65.
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo