Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1935 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2010, 12:28 Kajetan

vrok wrote on May 26, 2010, 11:20:
Except Fallout 3, Oblivion and ME2 are more like action adventure games than actual RPGs.
ME2 an action adventure with some heavy RPG elements? Yes.

Fallout 3/Oblivion? No, these are RPGs. Like Baldurs Gate or the Gothic series or Might&Magic. Not very good RPGs in my opinion (too much boring open world with too little consequences, not enough straight story and quest advancement) but Bethesda does make RPGs

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Just Cause DLC Released
7. Re: Just Cause DLC Released May 26, 2010, 04:05 Kajetan

Creston wrote on May 26, 2010, 01:34:
If you can't see the difference between the two, then...
... you have NOT been nickel&dimed. Everyone else gets the purse drained for nothing. But hey ... its your money, not mine, so go ahead!

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 13:51 Kajetan

Slashman wrote on May 24, 2010, 10:52:
I generally agree. The problem is, of course, that it is unlikely that the directors and producers have ever played a video game in their lives and most certainly not the game they are making a movie of.
Remember the Wing Commander Movie? Directed and written by the guy, who is responsible for one of the best space flight games ever produced? Who directed all video sequences of WC3 and 4? Who else but Chris Roberts himself could make THE Wing Commander film? And than, i sat in the theater and couldnt decide if i should laugh hysterically or just leave after an hour watching one of the crappiest movies i ever had the "pleasure" to experience. Horrible! Chris Roberts may be THE Wing Commander guy, but he certainly isnt very good at making full lenght feature films.

And you know why the Lord of the Ring movies are so great? Because Peter Jackson is a) a very, very, very talented movie director and b) therefore he knew when to leave the source material and when to stay close. You want a game movie to succeed? Involve people, who know how to make good (!) movies.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 07:54 Kajetan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 07:04:
Best movie-based-on-game? Definitely Silent Hill if you ask me.
If you ask me ... it's Final Fantasy Advent Children. The ultimate movie for fans of the game and genre. Does not even try to be a "serious" movie for non-fans of the franchise (main reason, why most game-to-movie production fail miserably). Just a fanboys wet dream come true.

News Comments > New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday
17. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 17:35 Kajetan

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 23, 2010, 16:12:
Therefore Steam's stats on Bioshock 2 users are not an enumeration of how many people are actually playing Bioshock 2 online.
Nobody said so. But the non-existence in the Top100 list of Steam is a good sign, given the userbase of Steam, that Bioshock 2 might be not very popular with the PC crowd. Heck, there is even a "Knights of the Old Republic" in the high seventies, while no sale was around in weeks to boost the playtime of this game.

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
34. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 23, 2010, 12:26 Kajetan

Sepharo wrote on May 23, 2010, 12:10:
If Valve didn't have this limitation you could make full games (total conversion mods) using their SDK and release them for free.
See, and that was all to show. Valve does not want the possibility of this ever happening. Its their choice. Other devs and publishers have decided the other way around.

Imagine if all those Counter-Strike players never had to buy Half-Life because they could have just used the demo which came with mod running ability.
You already dont have to buy Counterstrike/HL to play Counterstrike. There are multitudes of free "hacked" servers and torrents providing the necessary game data. There is nothing more to gain for Valve in pretending that they control the way, people can use their games. Valve does not have any control at all. Just people, who freely permit Valve to control the games, they purchase on Steam, because they want to or because its not important to them.

News Comments > Portal: Prelude Support Ends
33. Re: Learn to read, fool. May 23, 2010, 12:19 Kajetan

DG wrote on May 23, 2010, 08:23:
Riley, you're going to far too much effort to argue a ludicrous position.
Ludicrous? Have you even TRIED to understand his posts? You dont have to agree with them, but have to admit, that he makes some valid points.

News Comments > New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday
13. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 05:26 Kajetan

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 22, 2010, 21:36:
Bioshock 2 uses Games for Windows Live for its multiplayer not Steam so check the GFWL popularity list to see if people play it online.
The Steam 100 list (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) measures the overall (!) playtime, single and multiplayer, not only multiplayer. There are a lot of games in this list, which do not have any multiplayer features at all, like Torchlight on position 23.

News Comments > German Violent Game Ban Nixed
5. Re: German Violent Game Ban Nixed May 21, 2010, 15:05 Kajetan

Creston wrote on May 21, 2010, 14:37:
What... A government that employed common sense?
No, not really They won the election last autumn, now they can afford to give some leeway to improve their standing with the younger generation under 30. I'm sure, next election period they are just at it again, spewing fear and pretending, that only THEY can protect the populace from hordes of violent children.

News Comments > Puzzle Quest 2 PC Plans
7. Re: Puzzle Quest 2 PC Plans May 20, 2010, 03:09 Kajetan

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2010, 22:23:
Did any of you guys play Galactrix?
I never bothered to get it. How was it?
Way too much random gameplay. In PQ, you had only ONE direction of randomly falling stones. In Galactrix, there are THREE directions and therefore a lot more possible combinations. Often enough, i just sat there and was watching stones fall automatically into places, either killing me or the opponent in an instant with horrid bola mine chains. Not THAT much fun ... the only way to counter this, is to put ALL your exp points in defense. And then you just wait until the AI is killed by the game, hoping you will last longer. Galactrix is broken by design!

This comment was edited on May 20, 2010, 03:23.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer
13. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 May 19, 2010, 19:08 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on May 19, 2010, 19:03:
I'm watching on a netbook so I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that -was- live action.
No. Only very well rendered, excellent use of lighting and camera movement.

Stupid small screen...
You can tell it by looking at the face of the main protagonist (?). Still recognizable as CGI, but not in a bad way.

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
28. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 13:23 Kajetan

Tumbler wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:06:
If people traded their old games back to the studio's who made them then there would be far less, mabye no, used copies to buy.
I'm not talking about giving the old game back to publisher. I'm talking about offering the customer an easy way to re-sell the old game to someone else for a fee. Like eBay does for example.

27. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 13:20 Kajetan

killer_roach wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:02:
It's in their best interest to try to encourage as many new sales as possible.
This is in the best interest of every industry. But why do only publishers think, used sales are hurting them. Other idustries have embraced the second hand trade to their advantage.

And this does not explain, how the potential customers is able to spend the same level of money on new games, if he is not able to trade the old games in or re-sell them? Does money now grow on trees? Have i missed something?

23. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 12:41 Kajetan

killer_roach wrote on May 19, 2010, 10:56:
Except people buying used games aren't their customers, technically speaking.
No. They're not. But in preventing the sale of a used game or making the game worthless enough for re-selling it, you hurt your customers purse and in the end, yourself as a company.

A customer, who is not able to free the purchasing power bound in a game through the means of re-seeling it, is less likely motivated to buy a new game. Because now he has LESS money to do that.

But if the publishers think, that preventing games from being traded in might help them ... go ahead. Cant wait to laugh in their stupid faces, when they have to report one abyssmal quarter after another.

Btw. ... i dont understand, why publisher do not want to participate in the second hand trade. Put up a special trade plattform for your games, give incentives to re-sellers and buyers to make this plattform more attractive than eBay or Gamestop. Or just goddammfucking BUY Gamestop. Every other industry is able to do that. Cars, production facilities, kitchen appliances ... but the games industry has no other idea than to fuck their customers and themselves.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2010, 12:53.

News Comments > Perfect World Takes Share in Runic
5. Re: Perfect World Takes Share in Runic May 18, 2010, 05:25 Kajetan

Golwar wrote on May 18, 2010, 05:21:
Didn't Flagship have serious problems with a partner in asia?
It was the other way around. Hanbit had serious problems with Flagship

News Comments > On Aging Gamers
9. Re: On Aging Gamers May 18, 2010, 04:50 Kajetan

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 18, 2010, 03:33:
The larger challenge for any part of the entertainment industry is convincing the younger demographics to put serious time and energy into their product.
No. The younger demographics will ALWAYS put serious time and energy into any product the industry throws at them.

You have to offer the OLDER demographics products, which convince them to spend "quality time" with them. Usually, you do this with QUALITY products, not the shovelware the major publishers release nowadays. I myself being an "old gamer", i am bored to hell from nearly all the games the industry throws at me. Mostly, they are just a nice looking, but empty shell. Or they suffer from interface problems, because the devs dont let me play the game in the way i prefer. As someone in this thread already says, games need to be more customizable. For example, i want save anywhere and anywhen i like. I want to configure all game settings to my likings.

If you want to stop gamers from giving up their games as they get older and have more to do in the real world, you need to convince them it's a hobby instead of a time-waster.
Easy. Design games the older gamer wants (!) to spend time with, because they are NOT stupid and boring. I know a lot of older gamers, who just download games, play them a few hours, delete them afterwards, hoping for at least ONE game, which can hold their interests long enough. Some of them just stopped playing video games because of this. Once loyal customers, now lost customers. And as an old industry saying goes, loosing a customers is easy and cost you nothing. Winning this customer back, is very expensive and can take years!

News Comments > Portal Patched
5. Re: Portal Patched May 16, 2010, 05:03 Kajetan

I want to have more customizable street car racing and FinalFantasy-style minigames in Portal. Right now, Portal sucks and is boring to no end!  

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview
12. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview May 16, 2010, 04:51 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2010, 03:44:
How that slipped through Q&A i can not even fathom.
It didnt. EVERYBODY involved knew, that the game was not only unfinished, but horribly broken by design. The game was shipped anyway, because the publisher ran out of money. Release, rake in money from the stupid and devout Gothic community or bust. A simple choice!

News Comments > ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview
11. Re: ArcaniA: Gothic 4 Interview May 16, 2010, 04:45 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2010, 02:50:
I don't think I've ever played an RPG that didn't have at least one broken quest. I think Gothic 3 just stands out in your mind because it's one of the more recent ones.
It's not that Gothic 3 had just some broken quests ... this game is still broken by design. The combat system sucks hard, the main story developement sucks and a dozen community patches cant fix all the basic design problems. And Gothic 3 got a horrid and terrible official addon, which was MORE buggy that the main program, which is quite remarkable on its own.

It's best to simply forget Gothic 3. There are enough only mediocre and very good RPGs to play, even more if you are into JRPGs, so why bother with this crap?

News Comments > PC Gamer Top 100
12. Re: PC Gamer Top 100 May 14, 2010, 13:44 Kajetan

Grumpy Sod wrote on May 14, 2010, 13:05:
All that lists like this ever prove is that people have really shitty long term memory. Nearly everyone seems to go 'Hmm, what have I enjoyed recently' and vote for that. Or even worse 'What is fun right now' like the only reason they're not still playing Imogen on the BBC Micro is that it's rubbish and not that it's old yet awesome. Oh, or that they're too young to have a clue what I just said.
Jepp. Nearly ALL "Best of" lists i encountered, suffer from the "short attention span problem" most gamers have. And the lack of background knowledge they have, concerning games. They just remember, that they played a fun game last month. But WHY they had fun with this game and how to compare that fun with the fun, they had with a game two years ago ...

These lists serve only two purposes. First, they direct more readers to the site, the magazine. Second, adolescent minds need those lists, to ensure that they like the "right" game, because everyone else likes it too.

1935 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 65.
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo