Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kajetan

Real Name Kajetan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 6, 2004, 13:18
Total Comments 1962 (Pro)
User ID 20106

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles
50. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles Sep 13, 2010, 02:03 Kajetan

Donkey_Punch wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 01:32:
Why don't they also design the games to make use of the keyboard and mouse?
Because all this "We will not forget the PC platform" is bullshit. They are given a fixed budget, a fixed developement time, which is designed to make a proper console version and a version, that runs on a PC. That and only that is the main quality goal for a PC version.

Sure, devs can make two different version. But they do not have time and budget to do so, because the publisher calculated the budget to accomodate the higher sales number on the consoles. Its not a technical issue, why PC versions mosty suck bad. It's a political and economical descision.

Which is "funny", because the revenue on console game sales is lower than with PC game sales. But investors do like big numbers and they all want the next CoD or Halo or GoW, so that the stock price goes up. They have no interest in better revenue, only in higher stock prices. Adn we all know, that the stock market is fueled by dreams of wealth and promises of profit. ACTUAL profit or a healthy, self-sufficent business model is not of any interest.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2010, 02:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles
16. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Consoles Sep 12, 2010, 14:30 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2010, 14:23:
To say nothing of Sony and MS wanting to integrate social platforms like Facebook and such, the advantages all around of the keyboard and mouse far outweight controllers.
One day, even Facebook has to sucumb to the mighty power of TEH CONTROLLA!

News Comments > Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed
24. Re: Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed Sep 11, 2010, 04:33 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 03:44:
Your logic has some holes in it:
No, his logic is quite sound. It's all about purchasing power and freeing this fix amount through re-sale, being able to buy new games. Or taking a risk in buying some weird new game, instaed of relying alway on the proven formula. Publishers are NOT interested in hurting the sale of used games (because they know, they hurt themselves in the long run), they just want the profit from that sale. Not stupid, just greedy.

And if a person buys only used games for a low price, why should he suddenly buy new games for a higher price, if used games are no longer available? Instead he will look for another hobby or just resort to software piracy.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 11, 2010, 03:35 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 20:07:
Well, I'm sorry you missed it, but it did exist for a time ...
No, it doesn't. There were no such "times". Microprose was only about making money, Atari was only about making money, little one-man-studios were making games only to make money. Thre is no difference between them and Zynga. The difference here lies only the kind of games, they make. The motivation (making money) is still the exact same.

News Comments > Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed
21. Re: Software First Sale Doctrine Slashed Sep 11, 2010, 03:22 Kajetan

Tumbler wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 22:50:
And steam is exactly what this type of ruling is about. Steam gives you access to plenty of games that you never own.
Exactly. Steam is software as a service. But ...

... people sell their Steam accounts with all games in it, like they sell their old disc games on eBay. People don't care, what courts or companies say. They just do as they see fit.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2010, 14:07 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 13:41:
Well, of course they want/need to make money, but there was also a time - and still is to a lesser degree - where the main point was hardcore gamers wanted to make games to make other gamers happy.
This time never existed. You are beginning to fantasize of a mystical Golden Age. As soon as games were sold and not distributed freely between some nerds at the universities, commercial games were made only to make money! And from the early beginnings, there was the traditional conflict between the creative part of the industry and the adminstrative part. This hasn't changed at all.

But, there was some kind of Golden Age. From the beginning to the middle of the nineties, when all genres of today where established and defined. At that time, many released titles were milestones, true instant classics. But that was not happening, because they want to make us core gamers happy, but because there was a moment in time, when new and unseen ideas were commercially very successful. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember Origin's motto?
Congrats to Origins marketing department ... they got you tricked all the time!

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 10, 2010, 11:17 Kajetan

Bhruic wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 11:07:
How about catering to your actual market?
A publisher publishes games to make money, not to make you or me happy. If said publisher can make more money with games we describe as "dumbed down", than he will publish mostly "dumbed down" games.

Point is, we as "core gamers" are not the target group for those companies. They don't make games for us. They make games for people, who have no interest in some multiplayer shooter, who have no interest in one of those complicated RPGs.

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled
12. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Unveiled Sep 10, 2010, 02:16 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 01:29:
They need to make this more like Tribes and less like Halo.
" ... that the entire Dev team were only playing it on XBox 360 religiously ..."

News Comments > Brian Wood Memorial Fund
41. Re: Brian Wood Memorial Fund Sep 10, 2010, 01:52 Kajetan

Jeraxle wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 19:54:
People that make excuses for people to not take some responsibility for their own actions make me sick.
Nobody does that in the course of this discussion.

And once again for you: Anger, hate and therefore the desire for revenge is understandable, but it solves nothing. Harsh sentences exist only, because we don't have any other response. It's just a displacement activity to satisfy our emotional needs. Lock people away or kill them, as they have killed. That is our answer to all crimes. An answer, which solves nothing, improves nothing, make things worse in some cases.

But sadly enough, it's the only answer we have right now. And therefore, we have to find other solutions, because this one is only a giant waste of time and people and ressources.

37. Re: Brian Wood Memorial Fund Sep 9, 2010, 18:26 Kajetan

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 15:32:
Your comment is pointless and meaningless unless you can purpose a reasonable alternative.
You have not understand my point. Therefore, you cannot demand anything.

Clearly we don't want people to be allowed to cause the death of others without consequence. Are you proposing complete anarchy?
No. I haven't said anything to assume, that i want this. I said, that harsh sentences solve NOTHING. That harsh sentences serve only our desire for revenge. And the first step to improve ourselves, our laws and society is to admit that fact. Then, and only then, we can brainstorm for alternatives. Because i don't have the perfect solution either. I only know, that the "old way" of eye for an eye changes nothing at all.

9. Re: Brian Wood Memorial Fund Sep 9, 2010, 14:34 Kajetan

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 13:57:
They robbed a family of their father which is a massive emotional and financial burden, something that some families never fully recover from. The punishment should be appropriately severe.
Which is completely understandable. But ... it solves nothing, nothing will be better, it prevents nothing, it serves only our need for revenge.

2. Re: Brian Wood Memorial Fund Sep 9, 2010, 13:35 Kajetan

Wildone wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 13:29:
I hope they send those assholes responsible to prison for life
Yeah, that will return Mr. Wood back to life AND it prevents further drug induced car accidents, totally!

News Comments > Need for Speed World Goes Free
8. Re: Need for Speed World Goes Free Sep 9, 2010, 11:38 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 11:35:
Free's a great price. :)
Nothing is free! My time is precious and crappy games are no longer allowed to waste it

News Comments > Need for Speed World Goes Free
2. Re: Need for Speed World Goes Free Sep 9, 2010, 10:46 Kajetan

And next time, a subscription based MMO starts, what will the players do? Wait for the game to become F2P!

Which it will soon enough, because not enough people will be stupid enough to pay subscription fees, when they just have to wait a few more months, before the publisher caves in to save the invested capital.

News Comments > Settlers 7 DLC
5. Re: Settlers 7 DLC Sep 9, 2010, 09:24 Kajetan

Riker wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 09:16:
I couldn't disagree more.
Tastes are different. Let's agree to disagree!

News Comments > Settlers 7 DLC
2. Re: Settlers 7 DLC Sep 9, 2010, 03:11 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2010, 23:55:
always on DRM gone yet? Then I won't be getting settlers 7.
Be advised ... even WITHOUT the DRM, Settlers 7 is a mediocre, boring game. Finally, they killed the franchise for good.

News Comments > Minecraft Dev Starting Studio
6. Re: Minecraft Dev Starting Studio Sep 9, 2010, 01:45 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 01:38:
I seem to remember some interview or blog a week ago where he said they just wanted to chew the fat with him, I got the impression that valve has money coming out their ears.
Hmmm, money kills creativity. Hopefully, he doesn't become lazy. Hopefully, money doesn't corrupt him.

News Comments > Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor
1. Re: Jack Thompson vs Medal of Honor Sep 8, 2010, 10:19 Kajetan

*yawn* Yeah, Jack, nice. Now go outside and play with the other children ...  

News Comments > South Korean Steam Ban Possible
6. Re: South Korean Steam Ban Possible Sep 8, 2010, 01:46 Kajetan

Prez wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 23:35:
I though North Korea were the ones that banned everything.
No. Some of our most freedom loving democratic states are also the states with the most internet bans.

News Comments > TRON: Evolution Trailer
3. Re: TRON: Evolution Trailer Sep 7, 2010, 12:47 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 12:14:
Sounds like this is going to be a 2 hour advertisement instead of a film. Just like Transformers. Sigh.
What do you expect? A new Bergman movie?

1962 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo